#1 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:10 AM

Once again, I made the mistake of drinking at the tent while we were getting our interviews done. I had the best of intentions, but after John and Linda Edwards won the Paul Washburn "love of the game" award I was feeling particularly festive, so away we went. And that led to me sitting on the floor at 2:30 a.m. having just finished my preview article for the front page with a hangover before the week has even begun. Great. And the latest forecast is 15 knots building later in the day... That's gonna hurt.

Anyway, I've told a lot of you some of what we've got planned this week - suffice to say that it is yet another evolutionary step in the best damn racing coverage anywhere. Our team is a fun one, and it keeps growing: Of course Mer is raring to go on the camera, and for the photogs out there, she's shooting Canon 50D with mostly 70/200 2.8 IS L. Cindy Cady, a blonde marathon runner from Houston, is shooting Nikon with a 200/400 VR lens. And Sara Proctor also shoots Nikon I think. Peter Crawford is our cameraman extraordinaire, and will be shooting the onshore interviews and offshore action for cutting into daily highlight reels. Our near-live video will still come from my shaky little waterproof camcorder - unfortunately, technology must catch up to the kind of bandwidth needs we have before we can send HD video directly to your computer from a fishing boat on our budget - but maybe next year. Petey, Mer and I will be working hard to get the hardware and software working smoothly - as usual, it'll be a bit bumpy at the beginning as we get into a groove, and then will get better and better until the end. You'll see more interviews with much better sound, more content from the water with our two-boat program and three photographers, real pro video, though it'll come each night on the front page, tons of shirt, hat, winch handle, and jacket giveaways, and more fun than in any report we've done.

Now for a little housekeeping
- there are a few things that you can do to make this report more enjoyable, faster loading, and less likely to blow up our servers if a couple thousand of you click "refresh" at the exact same time.

First, please click on "My Controls" at the top right of your screen, and then click "Board Controls" at the bottom left of the next screen. You'll see a few things you can change on the right, and one of them really makes the OTW report load faster and look better. Change the maximum posts per page to 25 or less. That's it.

Second, please register. We're trying to change the settings so that everyone can see thumbnails of the pictures, but as of this second, only registered members can see all the full-color thumbs. Guests see only filenames for attached photos, without a clue what "IMG5548.jpg" looks like.

Third, PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to our coverage in whatever way you like! There is one simple reason that this coverage is as good as it is: You. As much as I bitch about the other copycat sites copying our format completely and still sucking, I realized today that I have nothing to worry about when it comes to competition. Why? Because we have something that none of those sites has - Anarchists who interact with us during our report. So tell us what you think of Key West, stories about the racers here, ask us to find someone you know and get a shot of them, post the weather forecasts and race information you can find, and just be creative. We have a LOT of swag to give away this week, so the more creative you're thinking, the better chance you have of getting it. (and those guys like stsomewhere, advocate, mgo - your stuff goes out with this batch when we get back to Charleston).

So I'll post a few more things, then off to bed - for three hours. See you soon!

And another gratuitous giant thanks to our sponsors: Quantum Sails, Point Loma Outfitting, Santa Cruz Yachts, Latis Yachting Solutions, Melges Performance Sailboats, Flying Tiger Boats, Dax OneTouch Winch Handles, and HBI Boats.

#2 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:12 AM

I say a lot of the same things in this intro video - but check it out, and welcome to the fourth annual Key West OTW Anarchy Report - thank you all so much for letting us share it with you.

#3 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:16 AM

Premiere still wins the award for the crappiest website in Grand Prix racing, but they have made a few small concessions to modernity. We've got a good interview with Jennifer Langille (Lan-Jill) talking about the KW blog that she's producing - it should give some good factual info on courses and roundings that we are unable to get you. Premiere's also put their little "daily KW news" online for you to read. A bit silly to shove it up in a barely usable format, but at least they're trying?

#4 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:20 AM

You can check out the Scratch Sheet here, and results will be at this link buried among the other crap on that page. The KW Blog is here.

#5 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:21 AM

NOAA Marine Forecast - HELL YES!

Monday
Southwest to west winds 10 to 15 knots early...becoming west to northwest and increasing to 15 to 20 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet...building to 4 to 6 feet. Nearshore waters becoming choppy to rough. Scattered showers.
Tuesday
West to northwest winds 20 to 25 knots and gusty. Seas 5 to 9 feet. Nearshore waters very rough. Scattered showers...becoming isolated.
Wednesday
North winds decreasing to 15 to 20 knots. Seas subsiding to 4 to 6 feet. Nearshore waters becoming choppy to rough.

#6 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

The excellent musings of J.A.G. aboard the Melges 24 Lounge Lizard - a KW tradition.

#7 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

A little warmup for Steve Howe, I think helming a Melges 24 for the first time this week, as well as one of our photographers, Cindy Cady.

Attached Thumbnails

• CCP_0011.jpg
  • CCP_0017.jpg
  • CCP_0035.jpg
  • CCP_0038.jpg
  • CCP_0067.jpg
  • CCP_0072.jpg
  • CCP_0075.jpg
  • CCP_0077.jpg
  • CCP_0083.jpg
  • CCP_0094.jpg
  • CCP_0105.jpg
  • CCP_0107.jpg
  • CCP_0114.jpg

#8 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts
  • Interests:Kicking Ass and Going Fast

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:03 AM

Before anyone goes looking for weather data from the Offshore Sand key buoy, here\'s the bad news:

Station 42080 has gone adrift on 03/07/2008 and the last report from
its moored position was at 1209Z. It has since been recovered as of
3/13/2008. Funding supporting operation and maintenance was severely reduced for fiscal year 2008. This buoy will be restored to service when funding becomes available in a future fiscal year. When the service date is known, it will be posted in the weekly maintenance report.

This almost feels like the that whole Back to the Future "save the clock tower" kinda thing...I probably need some coffee

But the stationary Sand Key station is up and is closest to Circle 1

Wind Direction (WDIR): W ( 260 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 15 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 16 kts
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 30.00 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.05 in ( Falling )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 68.9 °F

http://www.ndbc.noaa...;time_label=EST

#9 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

Here are all the Key West Webcams for the Voyeur in you

http://webcam.keywest.com/

I think Clean is still at Schooner Wharf

#10 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:07 PM

Does anyone have any insight why Flash Gordon from Chicago, Skipper'ed by Helmut Jahn, Architect/Designer from Chicago, is sailing in Canada's corner AND Why is New Wave the M32 from Clearwater sailing under Scandinavia ? http://www.premiere-...ional-Teams.pdf

#11 NyJboat

NyJboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

NOAA Marine Forecast - HELL YES!

Monday
Southwest to west winds 10 to 15 knots early...becoming west to northwest and increasing to 15 to 20 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet...building to 4 to 6 feet. Nearshore waters becoming choppy to rough. Scattered showers.
Tuesday
West to northwest winds 20 to 25 knots and gusty. Seas 5 to 9 feet. Nearshore waters very rough. Scattered showers...becoming isolated.
Wednesday
North winds decreasing to 15 to 20 knots. Seas subsiding to 4 to 6 feet. Nearshore waters becoming choppy to rough.

Sounds alot better than last year. Enjoy the conditions while I go rip the slopes this year.

#12 mosailn

mosailn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Location:MI-CT, Toga NY, P'Tree ATL, Boca Grande FL and somewhere in b'tween

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

What the hell is that Custom 41 ?? 41204? Man that is one whacky looking paint job to put it nicely.

#13 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

I just stepped outside for a smoke, expecting it to be chilly like last night at 4 am when I was writing on the porch. But it ain't! IT IS PERFECT! The coconut palm over my shoulder is swaying nicely in the NW'ly breeze, which is a shifty, puffy direction, it's already 70 degrees and not a single cloud in the sky. As you can expect, we're running around like crazy people getting everything sorted out - Petey is down with Sam Rogers installing a deck camera on Star, our female photographer squad is wiping memory cards and packing dry bags, our RIB is floating around without a slip, waiting for us, and our fisherman captain is probably smoking a bowl ;)

We are just wrapping things up here at the house, headed for the water and an absolutely epic day.

#14 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

Since the Ed went to sleep LONG before I finished this, I'll put it up here and let him catch up later.

Winter Wonderland

Walking down White Street on the way to Key West's Galleon Marina this afternoon, I smelled chicken on a barbecue – the smell of summer. Turning on Carolina, I looked in a side yard and saw a dozen people sitting outside under a plywood frame, cigarettes and beers in hand. They were watching the NFL playoffs in mid January on a park bench on their lawn. This place is just different – the climate, the attitude, the recreation – and you just don't get it unless you've been here.

If you have, you know that Key West lives outside the normal. Costumes are common, bums provide endless entertainment, strip clubs are the normal spot for everyone to go at 1 a.m., and drugs are plentiful - It's a fantasy world. The combination of timing, wind, nightlife and competition pull Key West just outside reality - a good thing, because that fantasy helps to block out the painful fact that there are maybe a thousand fewer sailors here this year than last, that the Farr 40 and Mumm 30 classes have gone from robust to nearly gone in just a year, that most of the handicap splits are awkward, and that fewer than 150 boats are likely to be on the lines for this edition of KWRW – down from last year's 262 entries.

When you're down here though, it just doesn't matter that much. The tent is less crowded and the sexy Mount Gay chicks pour with a nicer attitude, and the hotels are (shock!) a bargain. Many of the top one-design racers are still here, meaning smaller but still very tough racing – all of which we will bring you starting tomorrow during On-The-Water Anarchy KW 2009 Presented by Quantum Sails.

Key West Race Week may have fallen on harder times than almost any other regatta, but it is still the pinnacle of buoy racing in the US, and the quality of the teams proves it. Here's how we see the most competitive classes this week:

Melges 32
The big sportboat class is suffering less than all the others, though still includes only 20 boats compared to 28 last year, and we're looking forward to finding out why Mescalzone Latino and Joe Fly both opted to sail in other classes, despite owning 32s that are here in the states. That leaves us with a fairly easy call on these boats: New Wave should win the class – not because our sponsor Quantum's new generation of sails is proving blindingly fast (though that helps) – but because of the combination of a great driver in Marty Kullman, a crew with more than a decade of sailing together, and a guy who's quickly becoming THE most accomplished sportboat sailor in the US – tactician Scott Nixon. Jeff Ecklund's Star shouldn't be far behind Kullman, while the third through fifth spots are much more open. Both Italian boats – Calvi Network and Bitipi – have plenty of wheels, and if they can stay consistent they'll be right up there. Alex Jackson had a solid first M32 event in Lauderdale, and it doesn't take long for tactician Dave Ullman to get up to speed, especially with an All-American helm like Jackson – look for a top 5 from Yoda. We're also looking for good things from John Dane – a sentimental favorite after his valiant shot at the Olympics. With Johnny Lovell putting him in the right place, Dane could be a factor.

Farr 40
The Farr 40 Class was suffering even before the economic meltdown – the expense of sails, maintenance, and transport of this prototypical Grand Prix monohull just make it less attractive than alternatives like the M32. Suffering is one thing – going from 26 to 12 boats in just one year is another. While the action won't be nearly as exciting as we've come to expect from this fleet, the talent is still oozing from the top few boats, though we're pretty sure that Vincenzo Onorato's Mascalzone Latino and James Richardson's Barking Mad will be battling right until the end. Onorato may be a slightly better helmsman, but Richardson's got Terry Hutchinson, '08's Incredible Hulk of sailing, and we just don't want to bet against him, so look for BM in first and ML nipping at their heels. Giovanni (Joe) Maspero brought two boats this year – the M24 and the F40 – perhaps in anticipation of training up as many sailors as possible prior to Joe's run at the America's Cup. Giovanni will be steering the 40 with Keko Bruni on tactics this week, though he may be a bit rusty, and Goombay Smash and Flash Gordon will both be keeping Bruni honest.

Melges 24
This is a truly bizarre Key West for the Melges 24 Class. Nearly the entire Michigan fleet is absent, caught up in the Great Depression engulfing auto country, and very top teams like that of Dave Ullman, Jonathan Pollard, and Simon Strauss elected to sit the expensive Key West out in favor of sailing less expensive, more Annapolis-like events in training for Worlds in October. The dominant Italians have crew shakeups to reflect the loss of a handful of tacticians to the Louis Vuitton thing going on in Auckland, while NA Champ Quantum Racing is sitting this one out, and previous NA Champ Full Throttle lost her tactician to the Melges 32s. Regardless of crew changes, we're still convinced that the Italians are simply faster – we have seen it too many times to dispute – and accordingly, we'll put our guess in for Blu Moon to win this one. After all, they've got the ultimate good luck charm aboard – sailor chick of the week and M24 NA Champion bowchick Amy Ironmonger. Franco Rossini's Moon was right in it at Worlds last year battling with Uka Uka Racing, but ultimately Rossini lost out – and they're ready to get some revenge. Joe Fly has no owner aboard this time – as we told you above, Giovanni's driving the F40 – so with the big cat away, maybe the mice will play? They could, but they could just as easily end up on the wrong side of Brian Porter's Full Throttle or former World Champ Vince Brun, helming for the first time in a while. And Riccardo Simoneschi's Giacomel Audi – a two-time winner of this event – will round out the top 5.

Farr 30
Only one thing interesting will come out of the Mumm 30 class at KWRW – and it already happened tonight – longtime Anarchists John and Linda Edwards were awarded the Paul Washburn “For the love of sailing” award, honoring their years at Key West (two class wins), their dedication to sailing in the Chesapeake, and their introduction of so many newbies into the sport. But with five boats registered, does anyone care?

J/80
John Storck slays this class, and will do so again by many points. With Klingler out, maybe the Chameleon will take second?

Handicap Boats
We're not going to pick the handicap boats now, but we'll spend plenty of time covering some of the hot boats and good battles in the classes. The big boat showdown includes Rosebud (STP65), Sjambok (R/P 45) as well as a gaggle of TP52s, while IRC 2 has more of a production flavor than the heavily IRC-modded division 1 boats. Three King 40s, a J/122, J/133, some Mills racer/cruisers, and a pair of brand new Santa Cruz 37s will be out there, with the racing anyone's guess – though we heard reports from the delivery captain of one of the SC37s about sitting on 20-23 knots for ages on the way down here – with delivery sails that didn't even fit the rig properly. We aren't sure if the Archambault 40 made it – last we heard they were stuck in Customs – but we hope they get here so the A40 can match up with the other IRC flyers.

Breeze On
Despite early predictions of a lighter air regatta, the latest models are showing 15 knots plus plus for Monday through Wednesday – ensuring fast racing, lots of spills, and awesome photos. It makes life a little rougher for us, but it's a hell of a lot more exciting, and we are confident that this, our fourth year of Key West On-The-Water Anarchy, will be the nost complete, most exciting coverage of this event in history.

Please support the sponsors who make this week's action possible, and remember that our supporting companies don't just pick OTW Anarchy from an advertising menu. Like you guys and girls reading this, they choose to be a part of it because they love it. You'll hear it from their own mouths this week, along with dozens of other interviews with everyone we can grab who has something to say, including Terry Hutchinson, Vincenzo Onorato, Giovanni Maspero, Harry Melges, Vince Brun, Peter Greenhalgh, Peter Craig, and anyone else we can convince that it's a good idea to talk to us.. If you have an idea that you'd like us to cover, post it on the thread. If you want us to get shots of a specific boat during our coverage, do the same. This is a community effort, and the more ideas you throw out there in the report, the better it will be.

#15 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

I just stepped outside for a smoke, expecting it to be chilly like last night at 4 am when I was writing on the porch. But it ain't! IT IS PERFECT! The coconut palm over my shoulder is swaying nicely in the NW'ly breeze, which is a shifty, puffy direction, it's already 70 degrees and not a single cloud in the sky. As you can expect, we're running around like crazy people getting everything sorted out - Petey is down with Sam Rogers installing a deck camera on Star, our female photographer squad is wiping memory cards and packing dry bags, our RIB is floating around without a slip, waiting for us, and our fisherman captain is probably smoking a bowl ;)

We are just wrapping things up here at the house, headed for the water and an absolutely epic day.

CLEAN:

You will find things out on the water a little breezier...

A cold front is moving past just north of Key West at 8:25AM local time. Winds near and to the north of the front have increased significantly. Teams racing today should prepare a tight ship with safety equipment at the ready and PFDs shouldn't be optional IMHO.

Wind speeds will increase this morning and throughout the afternoon. Local observations vary from 18 knots from 260 through 21 knots from 250. Significant directional shifts are also possible. 240 should be the maximum left shift number for any period of time more than an hour and there may be a mid day shift to 330 with + breeze. Some models then indicate a left shift back to the mid to high 200s after the directional peak of 330.

Tomorrow looks even more entertaining.

#16 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:47 PM

Let me remind you all: If you pay careful attention this week, you'll have a chance to win shirts, hats, jackets, and maybe even a sweet gucci-ass winch handle. The first prize will go to the Anarchist who does the best job of grabbing Key West news from the rest of the interwebs.

Great, Mark - that's perfect.

#17 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

Is there are prize for the person at their desk in the coldest part of the world?

I don't qualify as it is 62 F outside but our Northern Brother's and Sisters are feeling it these days -

Who's got the coldest temp outside (or inside depending on how hard the economy is hitting ya)?

#18 free2rhyme

free2rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

whens it starting today? 10a?

#19 tronner

tronner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

Is there are prize for the person at their desk in the coldest part of the world?

I don't qualify as it is 62 F outside but our Northern Brother's and Sisters are feeling it these days -

Who's got the coldest temp outside (or inside depending on how hard the economy is hitting ya)?

7 degrees and sunshine outside the office I'm sitting in the morning...Grand Rapids, MI

#20 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:12 PM

7 degrees and sunshine outside the office I'm sitting in the morning...Grand Rapids, MI

81'F for today. Chilly compared to Saturday when it was 87...

Newport Beach, California

#21 S291sailor

S291sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:S2 9.1meter, Club420, Lasers, Optis

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

Temp is now up to 2 degrees with sunshine just up the road in Rockford MI. Approx 2ft of snow on the ground. Today may actually be the warmest morning we've had in several days...

#22 Barley

Barley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:16 PM

8 degrees out, fresh 12" of snow yesterday. Looking out on frozen Lake Winnipesaukee Wolfeboro NH

#23 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:16 PM

I'll be there next week. Ahh the Frozen Tundra of Northern Michigan

Giddy Up

BTW S29.1 Sailor, Weather.com has your current temp at -1F :huh: that's some cold shit

#24 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

Giddy Up

On the bright side:

• The days are getting longer
  • The coldest portion of the season is now almost behind you
  • There are only 153 days until the longest day of the year and summer begins

#25 Scum Bum

Scum Bum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

Giddy Up

On the bright side:

I like the glass half full! Even though it might be frozen solid!

#26 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

Giddy Up

On the bright side:

Thanks! This coming from the Cat sitting on his porch sipping coffee in 81 degree SoCal weather ;)

i'll e-mail you some cold next week :lol:

#27 scowlover

scowlover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:26 PM

While it isn't going to win the coldest award, my boss just ran out to buy a space heater for my office so I could feel a little more like key west.

#28 NO GLOVES

NO GLOVES

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:27 PM

12 degrees up here in Traverse City, I'm going out and plant a palm tree.

NG

#29 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

While it isn't going to win the coldest award, my boss just ran out to buy a space heater for my office so I could feel a little more like key west.

JP while you're at it put on some foulies and have the counter guys turn the hose on ya while beating you with wiffle ball bats - Get the full effect :)

#30 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

What the hell is that Custom 41 ?? 41204? Man that is one whacky looking paint job to put it nicely.

That boat is from Sarasota owned by the Ulmman loft dealer, Doug Fisher. Just raced against that boat a couple of weeks ago (wiped me out at the start, thank you very much). It is very beamy, twin wheels, reminds me of a RTW style design, say an Open forty designed several years before there were any. Lifting keel and rudder (handy around Tampa Bay)

Should be a player for honors in PHRF1.

#31 scowlover

scowlover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

JP while you're at it put on some foulies and have the counter guys turn the hose on ya while beating you with wiffle ball bats

The hose spigot is frozen....I'll go roll around in the snow while they hit me with tiller extensions...that should work.

#32 oneguyfromdetroit

oneguyfromdetroit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll, Motorcycles

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

Let me remind you all: If you pay careful attention this week, you'll have a chance to win shirts, hats, jackets, and maybe even a sweet gucci-ass winch handle. The first prize will go to the Anarchist who does the best job of grabbing Key West news from the rest of the interwebs.

I'm still waiting for my prize booty after correctly guessing the color of LS's panties (correctly guessed she wasn't wearing any...).
Sucks being up here....I've been to 17 of the last 19 KWRW's, and really don't like the fact I'm missing this one.

#33 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

That boat is from Sarasota owned by the Ulmman loft dealer, Doug Fisher. Just raced against that boat a couple of weeks ago (wiped me out at the start, thank you very much). It is very beamy, twin wheels, reminds me of a RTW style design, say an Open forty designed several years before there were any. Lifting keel and rudder (handy around Tampa Bay)

Doug is a major player too - He was the BM for Stars N' Stripes for the Mac Races - I understand he's got the previously submerged mast for her down in Sara

#34 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

Marco?

#35 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:02 PM

Doug is a major player too - He was the BM for Stars N' Stripes for the Mac Races - I understand he's got the previously submerged mast for her down in Sara

Is the forum slow for anyone else?

#36 scowlover

scowlover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

The regatta starts today. That's the synopsis of every other site, all rolled into one. What do I win?

#37 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

Does anyone have any insight why Flash Gordon from Chicago, Skipper'ed by Helmut Jahn, Architect/Designer from Chicago, is sailing in Canada's corner AND Why is New Wave the M32 from Clearwater sailing under Scandinavia ? http://www.premiere-...ional-Teams.pdf

It's what they get assigned by the O.A. Last year, New Wave was sailing under the French flag. I'll e-mail the guys and get a better explanation.

(Jersey is cold & white.... I'd rather be down south with the rest of you! Keep up the coverage - we'll all live vicariously through the KW SA team.)

#38 scowlover

scowlover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

Are the forums working okay for y'all?

It is intermittent from normal to timing out and telling me the page doesn't exist. Something is whacky.

#39 chromedome

chromedome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

timed out a couple of times

#40 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

Just a touch sloooowwwwww....................

Got my views set to 25 like Clean said. Do we need to do the lo-fi thing also?

#41 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

first start at 1030. all rc's on station. 10knots at 245 as of 0955 on course 2 w/ the melges/j105. trying to get two quick ones in today before the weather gets nasty.

-from the premiere bloggers

#42 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:09 PM

Is the boat coming back also?

#43 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:14 PM

So just to reiterate that directions on helping your OTWA experience -

At the top of the page at the right hand corner click on the "My Controls" link - That'll take you the Control Panel

Then under Options in low left corner you should see a link to Board Settings - Click on that bad boy and change the number of pages to view to at most 25 (10 is better) -

If you are REALLY feeling frisky - you can turn off viewing peoples signature lines and avatars here too - If you're feeling frisky

This will help your pages load much quicker during these high load times -

Cheers!

#44 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

I've been looking for it at the Squadron from time to time and haven't seen her - she stays on a ball out there (last I saw her)

#45 canucklehead

canucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

Server is running faster now, a half hour ago it was really slow.

#46 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:17 PM

Server is running faster now, a half hour ago it was really slow.

Dawg just had to rub a little funk on it -

#47 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

it seems that all the courses have been posted. breeze forecasted to go right and build. looking forward to some starts in 10mins...

#48 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

Here's some stuff from the PR Blog -

I like the sinking boat story - Ooops

Division 2 - Melges 32, Melges 24, J/105

Reporter: Cindy Saunders

1016H: Course board being posted ... 245 degrees, course 4, long mark for the M32 will be 1.7nm .... the shorter course for the M24 and J105 will be 1.4nm.

1011H: All M32 are checked in now .. missing one M24

1009H: 95% of the competitors now checked in ... first warning at 10:30 (I remember in years past we were always still looking for WHERE'S BOB up until the last minute be the clock started counting.)

1005H: Div 2 has twenty Melges 32, thirty-four Melges 24, and thirteen J105s. Looking down the list of names, I don't really see any that would pose a problem if they were announced at the awards presentation. There are still a number of very creative names that we have gotten a good laugh over this morning. We will be watching to see what these clever people actually look like. 245 degrees at 9 knots which will tend to go right as the race progresses

0955H: we are very lucky to aboard George Caras, from Commanders Weather, helping us make all the right decisions. He is calling for a couple of showers before we leave the course today, with stronger breeze coming in later ... hence, we will try to run two races and get everyone back to the dock before the stronger one hits. Looking around right now the breeze is 10knots at 245 degrees, about 35% cloud cover. About 50% of the competitors have checked in.

0951H: Div2 morning update - Day one of Acura KeyWest Race Week 2009 ... we arrived at the dock this morning to find a crowd of people looking at our sinking mark boat. The water was up to the center console and several people were bailing. The problem was simply, thank goodness, it seemed there was still some construction debris in the self bailer. The owner had just rebuild and painted ...

He nearly had a heart attack when he saw the crowd of people looking at HIS boat. He is doing much better now.

0941H: We just anchored ... it was a bit rocky on the way out and now that we are settled in I will attempt to get caught up on the events of the morning

#49 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

from course 2 rc - 1021H: Dick Neville is making the announcement to the fleet now. All communication radios are working properly. Pin-Line boat is in position ... Mid Line boat needs to come back a bit. Lots of activity as boats are now running the line and doing wind shots.

from course 3 rc - 1022H: Course direction has been set - 245 degrees. We intend to start on time. PHRF 1 all here. PHRF 4 all here.

course 1 rc must be busy. *like clean*

#50 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

I've been looking for it at the Squadron from time to time and haven't seen her - she stays on a ball out there (last I saw her)

--------------------------------------
Do you have a pic of Doug's (a.k.a. "Squeeky"s) new toy?? He has a bud who does wild boat graphics... remember the Henderson 30 "Purple Haze"??

#51 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

course 2 in sequence - pr blog

#52 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

1036H: start ... individual recall .. bow 85 is over ...

Bow 85 is coming back and and rounding the mid-line boat .. XRAY down

1033H: clouds are coming in .. but staying to the north of us ... 30 seconds to the drop of prep, recorders are started ..15 seconds ..10...6...3.2.1

30 seconds to M32 class start ... lining up
- pr blog

#53 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,783 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

Guys, you have to remember that in the mornings the world is waking up and not only is the internet busy but the SA servers are busy.

Please Do NOT double click you submit buttons. And try not to refresh every 10 seconds too.

Clean is uploading lots of photos for you too so the system has to process all of stuff you want to see.

#54 thistleracer

thistleracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

What courses are you ladies and gentleman (HA!) going to cover on what days?

#55 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

1040H: one minute to M24 warning, one minute to M24 prep flag up, Still missing M24 bow 28, M32 bow 85 that was over early was Nikasi .. will try to stay on top of names for the readers

1045H: M24s are jocking around the line with jibs still furled ... one minute to start 45 seconds ... 15 seconds to start and those on the line are rolling jobs out and gone

They are off and all cleared

#56 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

1043H: (SW) IRC 1 start off clean. Farr 40's had 2 OCS's. (SB) Clouds building all around but no showers yet.

#57 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

Man it is gorgeous out here. Breeze is 15 solid, 260 degrees. We got caught on the wrong side of Starlight, Jeff Ecklund's dad's monster yacht, and missed the 32 start. 24s are off, no video yet, but Zen and Jen Wilson caught a nice righty after the gun on the boat end. We're just getting up to speed here, bear with us for a bit while we remember how the hell we do this OTW stuff.

#58 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

JI - I have some good swag for you if you keep this up bro. Things are not ideal today - we got bumped off one fishing boat for another - this thing is straight out of JAWS, complete with stogie-smoking captain and the smell of rotting wood.

It's strange to see such short lines on a KW melges course.

#59 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:52 PM

1028H: We will be keeping a weather eye out, as I poke my head out of tech land to see the clouds rolling in, breeze is already building and Mr. Weather tells us to expect ~ 16-22 knots WSW and potential for passing squalls unleashing >30 knots...never a dull moment for those who sail...

#60 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:53 PM

[quote name='Jerseygirl' post='2094919' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:27 AM'][quote name='_Vegas_' post='2094897' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:15 AM'][quote name='HHN92' post='2094883' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:09 AM'][quote name='_Vegas_' post='2094864' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:49 AM'][quote name='HHN92' post='2094859' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:30 AM'][quote name='fdsailor1415' post='2094791' date='Jan 19 2009, 08:24 AM']What the hell is that Custom 41 ?? 41204? Man that is one whacky looking paint job to put it nicely.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Do you have a pic of Doug's (a.k.a. "Squeeky"s) new toy?? He has a bud who does wild boat graphics... remember the Henderson 30 "Purple Haze"??

[/quote]

I've got a couple one of our crew guys took at DIYC, but the forum does not have an attachment option.

And yeah, Purple Haze was pretty umm.....wild.

#61 thistleracer

thistleracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

1043H: (SW) IRC 1 start off clean. Farr 40's had 2 OCS's. (SB) Clouds building all around but no showers yet.

Know you're busy but who were the two 40 ocs's

#62 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

wish i could tell you but i'm just getting everything from the pr site and they didn't say. hoping it's not spaceman...

#63 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

1054H: (SW) Swan 42 and IRC 2 off clean-- Farr 30's are next.

1058H: (SB) Swan 42, IRC 2 and Farr 30 all clear. Looks like a storm coming from due west in 15 minutes with heavy rain and some winds that have some punch in them.

#64 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:03 PM

Very sweet - Argo rounds the top mark in first, with Star and Calvi just behind, Red looking good too. Mer is green with seasickness, our JAWS boat is slow as dirt, and the front just rolled in with dramatic clouds and an increasing breeze.

#65 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:03 PM

1101H: TOP 5 to round the weather mark ARGO 72 STAR 32 CALVI 81 RED 84 BITIPI 86

#66 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

1059H: Weather clouds went south. Still sunny.

All fleets started. No over earlys.

Here are the highlights:
PHRF-1: Wairere had to port tack across the fleet since they were pinned between big ones.

PHRF-2: Rush nailed it and took it away from USA1 the flying tiger.

J80: Confederate Ram saved an over early by doing a last minute drop.

PHRF - 3: Tangent took the start easily; Seefest got blocked at the pin.

PHRF - 4: Elysium was followed close by the whole pack; Blah, Blah, Blah came flying on strong.

First boats around the top mark.

#67 thistleracer

thistleracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

wish i could tell you but i'm just getting everything from the pr site and they didn't say. hoping it's not spaceman...

You from the CLE? I used to do bow on that boat.

#68 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

Vince Brun proving he's still got it - first at the mark!
WTF
Uka Uka
KO Sailing
Monsoon
Giacomel Audi
Joe Fly
Babs
Party Girl
Zingara
Blu Moon

#69 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

from chs. ryan and megan went to cofc

1106H: (SW) Big black skies in front of us-- with a wind shift to the right at 280-- looks like it is going to get wet! Notifying a course change to the fleets. - course 1 rc

#70 thistleracer

thistleracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

1106H: (SW) Big black skies in front of us-- with a wind shift to the right at 280-- looks like it is going to get wet! Notifying a course change to the fleets. - course 1 rc

Well I know Karl the bowman and he has an issue calling starts sometimes

#71 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,820 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:12 PM

What years at CofC? I was there 97-99

#72 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

Lots of M24 spins in sight now ... waiting for report .. wind is 280 on Div1 .... course boards coming out to signal change to 280

M32s at leeward mark now ...

from course 3 - 1110H: First boat down here at downwind leg is XS - Robertson 41

What years at CofC? I was there 97-99

ryan graduated in '05 or '06 and megan was a year or 2 after that.

#73 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

Holy crap the skies are about to open up! These clouds look like Darth Vader.

J/105s:

Max Power
Eclipse
Caress
Rock N roll
Tenacious
at the back are:
Distant Passion
Stinger

Wind went light in advance of the rain cloud, but it's coming back with a passion.

#74 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

1114H: RC is quite busy adjusting the course for the competitors and have been unable to get reports on top 5 rounders. M24s are rounding the leeward mark with a new heading of 305 degrees.

You can feel the temp dropping

sky to totally overcast now

#75 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

Holy crap - visibility is 25 feet! Our cameramen and girls are jumping back aboard, soaked to the tits, and we cannot see a single racing boat. There is no way they know where the marks are.

#76 free2rhyme

free2rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

anyone else think they're slacking?

video/pictures/anything?

#77 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:classic collectible sailing and restoring , confronting the silly.

J/105s:

Max Power
Eclipse
Caress
Rock N roll
Tenacious
at the back are:
Distant Passion
Stinger

Wind went light in advance of the rain cloud, but it's coming back with a passion.

I see no mention of PHRF classes in your reports.........did all the old boats skip this gathering?

#78 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

1117H: (SW) Wind oscillating from 265 - 280. Wet with visibility down to less than 1 NM. - course 1 rc

1118H: El Ocaso has done a two turn penalty - check for the story at the tent tonight.

#79 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

1120H: You can feel the temp dropping, sky to totally overcast now, here come the rain, it is rocking and rolling on the signal boat. Poor visibility ... can't see the top of the course ... J105s approaching the leeward mark now.
West 15 knot
Keep getting bumpe out of IM ... can't see leeward gate now, spooky out here.

course change for J105 is 305 degrees

finish mark boat in place now ... it's about the only thing I can see

wait I think I saw a shadow of a J105 still rounding

#80 THC

THC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

Clean:

I told you that you should have included a jacket in the team's gear!

TP if Clean ever gets me the adressI'll get the swag out to you.

TC

#81 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:27 PM

1123H: All courses execpt PHRF-1 changing course to 280

RC is gearing up for rainy finish.

#82 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:30 PM

I look like a just took a shower, and Petey looks like he just went swimming. Can't see shit, though the videos are loading up now.

#83 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

1128H: finishes should be pretty exciting ... I can't wait

raindrop keep falling on our heads

breeze is gusting 20 to 25

18 22 43 38 31 ... bows# of the M24 weather rounding .. they are heading to finish

#84 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

J/105s:

Max Power
Eclipse
Caress
Rock N roll
Tenacious
at the back are:
Distant Passion
Stinger

I see no mention of PHRF classes in your reports.........did all the old boats skip this gathering?

You understand that there are three courses separated by 8 miles, right? That massive leftie that came along with the storm has changed things around big time, but there's not enough visibility to find out how.

#85 Digital Vibrations

Digital Vibrations

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Current Key West Radar

#86 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

from course 1 (seemingly the leading edge when concerned w/ the wx) - 1127H: (SB) Very heavy rain but looks like a clearing is coming. (SW) Squall has now passed- wind settling in around 285. Just squared the finish line and getting ready to finish the fleets over the next 30 minutes.

#87 QMN

QMN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

Clean
just checked Key West radar the curent cell is moving at 35k should be out of the way shortly, there is a smaller cell a ways behind chance it could pass to the south nothing else on radar for now.

#88 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

Fuck it. Visibiliity is a joke here on Div 2, so we're pulling up shop and rolling over to the big boats. IRC 1 and 2, Farr 40, Mumm 30.

#89 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

1133H: (SB) Sun's out IRC 1 finishing very soon

#90 free2rhyme

free2rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

J/105s:

Max Power
Eclipse
Caress
Rock N roll
Tenacious
at the back are:
Distant Passion
Stinger

You understand that there are three courses separated by 8 miles, right? That massive leftie that came along with the storm has changed things around big time, but there's not enough visibility to find out how.

which course are you covering?

#91 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

Thanks QMN, still nasty clouds over the Melgi, but we just broke into bright sun! So we might actually be able to get you some cool stuff soon. We wanted to start with the Melges course because we're so comfortable with it, but it turned out to be a bad idea.

#92 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

1140H: UKA43 BAILOUT18 KO SAILING38 BLU MOON16 MILLEWA37 M24 around the weather mark ... the last report was actually the leeward rounding ... they are heading to finish now

1140H: (SB) Rosebud is way out in front and will be first to cross the finish line for IRC

1138H:Island Flyer of PHRF-2 has retired from first race. R flag is flying. First finisher - XS is across.

#93 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

so...Rosebud crosses the line first! Umm...anyone got a stopwatch?

Some weak-ass video of the M32s downwind.

#94 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

Top Mark of the Melges 24 Class:

#95 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

1144H: top five M32s to finish are .... STAR Bow32 ... RED Bow 84 .... a break between

#96 FastIdiot

FastIdiot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

[quote name='Jerseygirl' post='2094919' date='Jan 19 2009, 11:27 AM'][quote name='_Vegas_' post='2094897' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:15 AM'][quote name='HHN92' post='2094883' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:09 AM'][quote name='_Vegas_' post='2094864' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:49 AM'][quote name='HHN92' post='2094859' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:30 AM'][quote name='fdsailor1415' post='2094791' date='Jan 19 2009, 08:24 AM']What the hell is that Custom 41 ?? 41204? Man that is one whacky looking paint job to put it nicely.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
That boat started out life as "Look Again" and then affectionately called "Look the other way" :blink: . It was designed by an obscure Kiwi ex-pat named Robertson and build by a cabinet maker in Miami. It's only appearance @ KWRW under it's original regime was an unmitigated train wreck.

Doug has done an awesome job of resurrecting what had been generally considered a turd. He also deserves kudos for single-handedly bringing the "Eddie Van Halen" look back into yachting.

Posted Image
Here's a pic I snapped from my phone cam a couple of years ago on Tampa Bay.

FM

#97 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

1145H: ARGO Bow 72 ...Banshee Bow 76 ... War Canoe 82 .. Leenabarca 83 Highlife 70...Calvi 81 ... Team Barbarians 87 ...Arkle 74

i'm out, taking a lunch.

#98 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

Here's a little thing we did last night with Quantum VP Farley Fontenot, talking about Terry's big win, Quantum's philosophy, and the myth that "all sails are pretty much the same"

What a weird-ass morning.

#99 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,820 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

douchebag

#100 smelly weasel

smelly weasel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:56 PM

How about -24 actual air temp---- Lake Minnetonka, USA. The kids and I had a little fun with a science experiment of making snow. boil some water and toss it out the window- poof instant snow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users