• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:40 AM

From the front page, in an hour or so:

Clean Report

Rough Day at the Office

It was a rough start to a messy Day 1 of Key West Race Week – for the weather, the Race Committee, and for our On-The-Water Anarchy, presented by Quantum Sails.

Forecasts were for good breeze, but the first race started in 12-15 knots, just the kind of conditions that create uncomfortable chop without really letting the boats break free. On Circle 2 (M24, M32, J/105), an intense rain squall blew through the course about 20 minutes after the starts, reducing visibility to 20 feet for 5-10 minutes. The RC reset the marks to accommodate a big right shift, but somehow messed up the compass heading by more than 20 degrees, and at least one protest was filed to throw out the race. We tracked down Luigi, who agreed that it was a clear error, though he thought the remedy might be to score the boats in the position they were in at the previous mark. On the same course, Luigi's midline boat's anchor was hooked by a 32, which proceeded to sail upwind towing the line boat. The RC didn't earn any more praise with the 90-minute postponement they ran, either. All three circles ran only two races, and other than Division 2, the fleets were done before 3:00.

Bullets Galore
The battle we've been expecting between Vincenzo Onorato and James Richardson in the Farr 40 was pretty much as we expected – with Barking Mad and Mascalzone Latino neck and neck during both races and all over the other at each mark. The difference was Onorato's starts – always just a bit ahead at the gun, he was consistently able to put his bow down and sail where he wanted to go. That destination was snakeyes – a 1,1 for the multiple F40 World Champ. Joe Fly edged out Barking Mad when Hutch/Richardson got on the wrong side of a right shift in the second race, and leads BM by one point.

Another Italian team – one that knows Vincenzo well – put on a showcase in the Melges 24 fleet. Lorenzo Santini's World Champion Uka Uka Racing Team, with Jonathan McKee on tactics, walked away with two wins that looked easy despite having a new tactician. “Racing with Jonathan is wonderful,” said Federico Michetti, team manager and trimmer. And when Santini said, “we are just very lucky,” he knew that was a crock of shit. These guys are just way beyond 99% of the fleet, and as they proved in Porto Cervo, they're generally ahead 99.9%

The third double-bullet came from Jeff Ecklund's Melges 32 Star, recovering from their mediocre Gold Cup showing – a regatta that Ecklund organized. “We got forced somewhere we didn't want to go both races,” said tactician Harry Melges, “but it worked.” Gold Cup winner New Wave had a rougher time of it. “Judah and Alex couldn't make it,” said Scott Nixon. “We got great sailors to replace them, but it always takes a little time to come together.”

Four other classes saw double bullet winners, though unusually, the tricked-out naptown Beneteau L'Outrage didn't get the double win, losing both races to a Cape Fear 38, but in the one-design fleets, is this a reflection of how much more predictable and less competitive small fleets are, if only by virtue of their size. Whatever the reason, it is still a long week, and with only two races run, the PROs are signaling their belief that there will be enough breeze to run two more on each of the remaining 4 days. Given a pumping forecast of up to 30 knots tomorrow, we don't think a lack of breeze will be a problem either. And the sailmakers are going to be busy!

Our day was a rough one as well, though Mer reminded me that every Day 1 we do is a bitch. After a few drinks, I realized that our OTW Anarchy production is actually a lot like a regatta, and our team just like a race crew. Considering that we are all yacht racers, it makes sense – but the problem is that it ain't run like a top program. We don't have the budget or personnel to spend three days practicing before an event, so we end up having tough starts. It was still a fun report, with good shots and video, and if we'd done something like this three years ago, we would have been amazed – but the game has changed. And today was as bad for us as it was for New Wave. They had a couple of new crew, we had two new photographers, a new videographer, a new boat, a new driver, another new boat, and another new driver. They didn't have a lot of practice, we got here Sunday at 7 AM after driving all night, just a day after driving three thousand miles from California. They caught some rope around the keel, we found our boat leaking like a sieve, with the steering going out while surrounded by 5 press boats just three boatlengths from the top mark. They had bad starts, we had some idiot local volunteer driving the official press boat decide to impress his friends by gunning his engine to block our photographers from getting any shots.

As you can see, we make excuses just like a race team, too.

But as I've said, tomorrow will be another day. A warm, super-windy day with tons of carnage, MORE commentary, MORE videos, and MORE pics. So open the Obama inauguration in another window, and tune in to the one and only 2009 OTW Anarchy Key West presented by Quantum Sails. And thanks for watching! Here's the link to our Day 2 Coverage.

And please don't forget to show your support to those who make sure that OTW Anarchy continues to give you the best live regatta coverage there is. Check out Quantum Sails, Point Loma Outfitting, Santa Cruz Yachts, Latis Yachting Solutions, Melges Performance Sailboats, Flying Tiger Boats, Dax OneTouch Winch Handles, and HBI Boats.

#2 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:42 AM

And of course, please click on "My Controls" at the top right of your screen, and then click "Board Controls" at the bottom left of the next screen. You'll see a few things you can change on the right, and one of them really makes the OTW report load faster and look better. Change the maximum posts per page to 25 or less. That's it.

We'll also be profiling a few things from our sponsors today, so take the time to learn a little about these companies. We don't work with companies whose products we can't recommend in good conscience, so it's easy to pimp these guys a bit - we appreciate your patience, and note that if you'd like to fund OTW Anarchy for your next event - commercial free - we'll be happy to give you an estimate.

And the winners of a couple of T-shirts from Point Loma Outfitting are Vegas and JITillIDie, for doing the best job of finding KW news on the web and sharing it here. Keep at it, and be sure to share anything you want - weather, party stories, etc. etc. etc. and we'll send you something cool!

#3 jibeset

jibeset

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Fishing, Hunting and anything with ing on the end.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:26 AM

Good Luck today! Go Banshee! (M32 from Seattle)

#4 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:37 AM

They were quick today.

Tuesday
West winds 20 to 25 knots and gusty...becoming west to northwest in the afternoon. Seas beyond the reef 6 to 11 feet... highest south and west of the Dry Tortugas. Seas inside the reef 2 to 4 feet. Nearshore waters very rough. Isolated showers.

Wednesday
Northwest to north winds 20 to 25 knots and gusty... decreasing to 15 to 20 knots late. Seas beyond the reef 6 to 10 feet early...subsiding to 5 to 9 feet late. Seas inside the reef subsiding to 2 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters very rough early... becoming choppy late.

#5 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:30 AM

OK, Clean... So here's what I've got to share for my swag: Real Time-On-Time Calculator (Spreadsheet).

Since you guys were all talking about the handicap classes, hos they all did and the results, I put together a simple spreadsheet that let's you enter the starting time and at anytime on the course you press the F9 key (update/recalc) it will recalculate the current elapsed times, corrected times and give you the time differences from the current fastest corrected times. You can use this to solve the "How are we doing" question on the race course when racing IRC or any other Time-On-Time handicap system.

The spreadsheet is already setup for the 2009 KWRW IRC Classes. All you have to do is enter the Starting Time. Once you enter each boat's finish time, the calculations become static in other words, the corrected time is not your final result and you can see how much time you/they owe. Also included is a time-Difference table for various different time ranges.

Try it. Let me know what you think. I've got the cells protected so the formulas don't get accidentally erased or overwritten. I also have one for distance races. Don't have one for PHRF (yet).

KWRW IRC Current Times and Scoring Calculations

Tell TC to PM me for my swag mailing address :-)

#6 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:Kicking Ass and Going Fast

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

Al -after checking the forecast my only thought was "Mer is gonna be miserable"

I've been told that this little number works really well -

I know it's pricey, but a small price to pay to have your #1 photog happy and spry

The number to the West Marine on Caroline Street is 305-295-0999 if you wanted to call and see if it is in stock -

Got Port Supply?

Kick some ass today!

#7 Winever

Winever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

The snow is just starting to fall, work is closed for the day (yeah I know, ya'll back in the Midwest are saying WHAT, CLOSED for snow!) So bring on the sunny weather, warm scene's, bikini's and VIDEO!!!!!

Nice job yesterday Clean, looking forward to a BIG day. I'm sure you got a more Anarchy style driver so push those wimps out of our way and get us some front row shots from Petey.

OTW rules. Cheers, Winever.

#8 Pom

Pom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:34 PM

any news on the two SC37's?? they seem to be suffering at the back of the fleet...

cheers

Pom

#9 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,755 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

As of 845AM Local Time a vigorous front was just 20 miles north of Key west and moving rapidly east. This front is positively tilted so the duration of the frontal showers could be extended as the classic winter low winds up over North Carolina. Winds ahead of the front are from 260 while those located in it's wake will find the direction shifting to 310-320. Winds across the district have been steady since about 5AM local time but that will change later this morning as the diurnal cycle provides additional energy to the atmosphere and the storm to the north improves it's organization.

The expected BREEZE ON for yesterday never really materialized as the frontal passage only saw convective bursts south of the race course for the most part. There was some rain but the wind was on the other side of the squall. Today will be a different story. Winds are already on the increase and so are the seas.

More detail in a bit...

#10 J120 Bowman

J120 Bowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

The snow is just starting to fall, work is closed for the day (yeah I know, ya'll back in the Midwest are saying WHAT, CLOSED for snow!) So bring on the sunny weather, warm scene's, bikini's and VIDEO!!!!!

Nice job yesterday Clean, looking forward to a BIG day. I'm sure you got a more Anarchy style driver so push those wimps out of our way and get us some front row shots from Petey.

I lived in Norfolk for a few years. If the forecast said snow might fall sometime in the next year the place shutdown. Stores were mobbed and the roads were crazy.

Now you can just sit at home in your boxers and keep refeshing the screen all day.

I have accomplished nothing at work. It is 10 degrees outside with two feet of snow. If I can't be in Key West, at least I can fuck off at work and see some great video and pix.

Clean, keep up the great work! Nothing like this was even possible a few years ago! These major regattas should be kissing SA's ass for coverage this this!

#11 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

GOOD LUCK Clean & Team!!
I bet that West Marine is busy this AM with gear sails.... Still, 50* beats the 25* up here.

Looking forward to some excellent action shots and carnage.

Bummer, I can't get any of the KW webcams to update to current pics.
http://www.floridake...v/keywestbight/

#12 thistleracer

thistleracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

Keep up the good work Clean! Since I couldn't make it down this is obviously the only place to be if you really love the sport and even if you are just interested. Keep setting the standard for this type of coverage for the sport!

#13 jethro

jethro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

Great work in not so ideal conditions guys .

Can we expect to see more video content today ? Love the commentary !

Thanks again.

#14 X X-Yachter

X X-Yachter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

Ideal conditions for some serious wipeouts. All eyes on you Clean!

#15 Marie Laveau

Marie Laveau

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

GO THE LIGHTNING ROD! Representing da Coast in Div 4

Good weather link
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/key/marine/

Link for the p'tic'lar area
http://weather.noaa....l/gm/gmz075.txt

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT

TODAY
WEST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS AND GUSTY EARLY...BECOMING WEST
TO NORTHWEST. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF BUILDING TO 6 TO 11 FEET...
HIGHEST SOUTH AND WEST OF THE DRY TORTUGAS. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF
2 TO 4 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS VERY ROUGH. ISOLATED SHOWERS IN THE
MORNING...THEN ISOLATED SPRINKLES IN THE AFTERNOON.

#16 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,755 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

I lived in Norfolk for a few years. If the forecast said snow might fall sometime in the next year the place shutdown. Stores were mobbed and the roads were crazy.

Now you can just sit at home in your boxers and keep refeshing the screen all day.

I have accomplished nothing at work. It is 10 degrees outside with two feet of snow. If I can't be in Key West, at least I can fuck off at work and see some great video and pix.

Clean, keep up the great work! Nothing like this was even possible a few years ago! These major regattas should be kissing SA's ass for coverage this this!

I lived for about ten years in Chapel Hill, NC (Go Tarheels). We had moved from Boston, MA so my parents thought the locals were crazy when they closed the schools when there was 3" of snow...Then they saw them drive and decided it was a good idea to keep people at home. One thing folks may not realize is that NC is still fairly rural in many areas. My bus ride to school was 45 minutes to an hour each morning and the same home in the evening. If it was raining...add 30 minutes each way. There was NO TRAFFIC...that is just how far away school was.

Here is a picture from Raleigh this morning with snow on the ground. Ya'll stay home and enjoy a historic event on the Teli...

Attached Thumbnails

• SNOW_IN_RALEIGH.jpg

#17 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,148 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

I lived for about ten years in Chapel Hill, NC (Go Tarheels). We had moved from Boston, MA so my parents thought the locals were crazy when they closed the schools when there was 3" of snow...Then they saw them drive and decided it was a good idea to keep people at home. One thing folks may not realize is that NC is still fairly rural in many areas. My bus ride to school was 45 minutes to an hour each morning and the same home in the evening. If it was raining...add 30 minutes each way. There was NO TRAFFIC...that is just how far away school was.

Here is a picture from Raleigh this morning with snow on the ground. Ya'll stay home and enjoy a historic event on the Teli...

Mark, how old are you? (If you don't mind me asking) My good buddy is from Chapel Hill, moved down there from Philly when he was in Junior High. Says exactly the same thing regarding Carolina drivers and snow.

#18 J120 Bowman

J120 Bowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

Come on Clean! It's almost 9:00 am and I'm dying to see some pix, here some shit, anything!

Pix of chix on the dock. Anything from last night? Come on man, we're hooked and want more!!!!!!

#19 dox2

dox2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:58 PM

Al -after checking the forecast my only thought was "Mer is gonna be miserable"

I've been told that this little number works really well -

I know it's pricey, but a small price to pay to have your #1 photog happy and spry

The number to the West Marine on Caroline Street is 305-295-0999 if you wanted to call and see if it is in stock -

Got Port Supply?

Kick some ass today!

This works really well for preventing seasickness; you just have to get over the fact that you are being shocked!

#20 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,755 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

Mark, how old are you? (If you don't mind me asking) My good buddy is from Chapel Hill, moved down there from Philly when he was in Junior High. Says exactly the same thing regarding Carolina drivers and snow.

I turned 46 a few weeks ago. Frank Porter Graham elementary, Grey Culbreth Junior High, Chapel Hill High School until 79 when we moved to Hawaii.

#21 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,148 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:04 PM

I turned 46 a few weeks ago. Frank Porter Graham elementary, Grey Culbreth Junior High, Chapel Hill High School until 79 when we moved to Hawaii.

Happy belated birthday. Quaalude (yes we call him Quaalude) is in his 30's, so a bit behind. He gradutated Chapel Hill High in the early 90's.

Poor you having to move to Hawaii.......

#22 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

Come on Clean! It's almost 9:00 am and I'm dying to see some pix, here some shit, anything!

Pix of chix on the dock. Anything from last night? Come on man, we're hooked and want more!!!!!!

It's pretty weak... but, you can watch the parade out to the course, and the boats leaving the docks on the web cams:
http://www.floridakeyswebcams.tv/
http://www.floridake....tv/ssindex.htm

#23 PerryWinkle

PerryWinkle

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

What happened in Melges 32 Race 1?
Redress for Ninkasi + Dark and Stormy.

#24 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

It's pretty weak... but, you can watch the parade out to the course, and the boats leaving the docks on the web cams:

Wow... wall of BLACK clouds coming across the frame in the Galleon cam:
http://www.floridake.../galleonmarina/

#25 Anarchist

Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Racing Sailboats, Cruising Sailboats, Sailing equipment, Sailing gear, and Sailing.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

I just got off the phone with Mr. CLEAN. They are just getting set up on the offshore powerbot that will do a far better job than the tool they used yesterday. The RIB is unavailble due to repirs and sea conditions. Maybe tomorrow. CLEAN should be on shortly.

STAND BY to STAND BY people.

#26 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

From the RC Blog:

It's Day Two! A Day To Honor The Sailor's Feet In Fact ~ Sperry Top-Sider Day!

0823H: Just out of the PRO/weather briefing and it is the intention of the RC to get off two races today. We've had a crew out on the water since 0700H and conditions are favorable for sailing minus the passing front which shook the coffee right out of our cups. Mr. Weather assures us it will pass through and anticipates WSW ~ 16-20 knots and favorable sea state. However, the potential exist for a building sea of 4-6 feet and passing shower.

Mr. Weather did a brief interview and loaded on YouTube Channel. Bloggers are on their way to boats...may be an exciting day!

#27 QMN

QMN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

...most would call that a bit of an broken overcast moving through... not to worry ;)

#28 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:26 PM

0914H: Div. 1 Signal is now close to where we want to set up. Wind 300 @ 12 kts.

#29 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

...most would call that a bit of an broken overcast moving through... not to worry ;)

Who's worried??? It was the only thing of interest at the time. :-)
Hoping that Clean's on the way to the courses with a better boat.

#30 Phoenix

Phoenix

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:33 PM

As I told my friends in Minnesota, snow in the mid atlantic is a far different animal than the light fluffy stuff. It grabs the unwary and puts them into the gutter. Even worse, if the snow hits, thaws on the pavement and then freezes into black ice, all the drive wheels in the world won't help.

#31 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

0936H: Seeing 330-335 at 10 knots at our weather boat, About 1.5' swells; reasonably flat. - div 3

#32 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

Interesting to see course 1 30-35 degrees more left than div 3.

#33 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

0938H: We are setting up .5 mile south; looking for squal at around 10:30; expect wind to go right. We have the whole Stock Island area in which to play to adjust for the wind change. - div 3

#34 QMN

QMN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

0938H: We are setting up .5 mile south; looking for squal at around 10:30; expect wind to go right. We have the whole Stock Island area in which to play to adjust for the wind change. - div 3

The closer one looks like it should stay north of the sailing area, worst case blow some sprinkles,

There is one further out that should track south of the sailing area, neither don't look like anyone should get wet at this time.
Nothing else out there. (yet )

#35 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

0947H: (SB) Div 1 Signal Boat has raised the anchor and is moving downwind .3 miles to ensure we have enough room on the windward leg to avoid shallows.

maybe they read rosebud's response to clean...

#36 bobbyh

bobbyh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:53 PM

Good work on the updates. Why didn't you make the trip this year?

#37 Old Man On The Bow

Old Man On The Bow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

OK, Clean... So here's what I've got to share for my swag: Real Time-On-Time Calculator (Spreadsheet).

Since you guys were all talking about the handicap classes, hos they all did and the results, I put together a simple spreadsheet that let's you enter the starting time and at anytime on the course you press the F9 key (update/recalc) it will recalculate the current elapsed times, corrected times and give you the time differences from the current fastest corrected times. You can use this to solve the "How are we doing" question on the race course when racing IRC or any other Time-On-Time handicap system.

The spreadsheet is already setup for the 2009 KWRW IRC Classes. All you have to do is enter the Starting Time. Once you enter each boat's finish time, the calculations become static in other words, the corrected time is not your final result and you can see how much time you/they owe. Also included is a time-Difference table for various different time ranges.

Try it. Let me know what you think. I've got the cells protected so the formulas don't get accidentally erased or overwritten. I also have one for distance races. Don't have one for PHRF (yet).

Luiz, looks very cool should add some better info other than the, Rosebud is sailing by alone no competition ect.
I hope you dont mind if we save a copy for our laptop's and future use :-)
Hope Clean uses it and set you up with the good swag.

Regards

#38 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,148 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

0947H: (SB) Div 1 Signal Boat has raised the anchor and is moving downwind .3 miles to ensure we have enough room on the windward leg to avoid shallows.

That's good, we actually had issues with the shallows last year and we only draw 9.5 feet

#39 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:56 PM

Found a shot of Doug Fisher's boat by Joy
Can't miss that paint job on Div. 3
http://picasaweb.goo...126363084781378

:blink:

#40 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

Good work on the updates. Why didn't you make the trip this year?

on my new boat? it was hard to justify spending the time and money for 10 races, which is a stretch given the wide variety of conditions seen over a week like last year when we raced 3 out of 5 days (although the competition made the choice difficult). we'll be doing st. pete nood's; hopefully we can get 9 races (3 on fri and sat, 2 on sun) for a small fraction of kw, although the competition won't be as good...

#41 NewportStormer

NewportStormer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

Clean Report

Rough Day at the Office

It was a rough start to a messy Day 1 of Key West Race Week – for the weather, the Race Committee, and for our On-The-Water Anarchy, presented by Quantum Sails.

Forecasts were for good breeze, but the first race started in 12-15 knots, just the kind of conditions that create uncomfortable chop without really letting the boats break free. On Circle 2 (M24, M32, J/105), an intense rain squall blew through the course about 20 minutes after the starts, reducing visibility to 20 feet for 5-10 minutes. The RC reset the marks to accommodate a big right shift, but somehow messed up the compass heading by more than 20 degrees, and at least one protest was filed to throw out the race. We tracked down Luigi, who agreed that it was a clear error, though he thought the remedy might be to score the boats in the position they were in at the previous mark. On the same course, Luigi's midline boat's anchor was hooked by a 32, which proceeded to sail upwind towing the line boat. The RC didn't earn any more praise with the 90-minute postponement they ran, either. All three circles ran only two races, and other than Division 2, the fleets were done before 3:00.

Bullets Galore
The battle we've been expecting between Vincenzo Onorato and James Richardson in the Farr 40 was pretty much as we expected – with Barking Mad and Mascalzone Latino neck and neck during both races and all over the other at each mark. The difference was Onorato's starts – always just a bit ahead at the gun, he was consistently able to put his bow down and sail where he wanted to go. That destination was snakeyes – a 1,1 for the multiple F40 World Champ. Joe Fly edged out Barking Mad when Hutch/Richardson got on the wrong side of a right shift in the second race, and leads BM by one point.

Another Italian team – one that knows Vincenzo well – put on a showcase in the Melges 24 fleet. Lorenzo Santini's World Champion Uka Uka Racing Team, with Jonathan McKee on tactics, walked away with two wins that looked easy despite having a new tactician. “Racing with Jonathan is wonderful,” said Federico Michetti, team manager and trimmer. And when Santini said, “we are just very lucky,” he knew that was a crock of shit. These guys are just way beyond 99% of the fleet, and as they proved in Porto Cervo, they're generally ahead 99.9%

The third double-bullet came from Jeff Ecklund's Melges 32 Star, recovering from their mediocre Gold Cup showing – a regatta that Ecklund organized. “We got forced somewhere we didn't want to go both races,” said tactician Harry Melges, “but it worked.” Gold Cup winner New Wave had a rougher time of it. “Judah and Alex couldn't make it,” said Scott Nixon. “We got great sailors to replace them, but it always takes a little time to come together.”

Four other classes saw double bullet winners, though unusually, the tricked-out naptown Beneteau L'Outrage didn't get the double win, losing both races to a Cape Fear 38, but in the one-design fleets, is this a reflection of how much more predictable and less competitive small fleets are, if only by virtue of their size. Whatever the reason, it is still a long week, and with only two races run, the PROs are signaling their belief that there will be enough breeze to run two more on each of the remaining 4 days. Given a pumping forecast of up to 30 knots tomorrow, we don't think a lack of breeze will be a problem either. And the sailmakers are going to be busy!

Our day was a rough one as well, though Mer reminded me that every Day 1 we do is a bitch. After a few drinks, I realized that our OTW Anarchy production is actually a lot like a regatta, and our team just like a race crew. Considering that we are all yacht racers, it makes sense – but the problem is that it ain't run like a top program. We don't have the budget or personnel to spend three days practicing before an event, so we end up having tough starts. It was still a fun report, with good shots and video, and if we'd done something like this three years ago, we would have been amazed – but the game has changed. And today was as bad for us as it was for New Wave. They had a couple of new crew, we had two new photographers, a new videographer, a new boat, a new driver, another new boat, and another new driver. They didn't have a lot of practice, we got here Sunday at 7 AM after driving all night, just a day after driving three thousand miles from California. They caught some rope around the keel, we found our boat leaking like a sieve, with the steering going out while surrounded by 5 press boats just three boatlengths from the top mark. They had bad starts, we had some idiot local volunteer driving the official press boat decide to impress his friends by gunning his engine to block our photographers from getting any shots.

But as I've said, tomorrow will be another day. A warm, super-windy day with tons of carnage, MORE commentary, MORE videos, and MORE pics. So open the Obama inauguration in another window, and tune in to the one and only 2009 OTW Anarchy Key West presented by Quantum Sails. And thanks for watching! Here's the link to our Day 2 Coverage.

And please don't forget to show your support to those who make sure that OTW Anarchy continues to give you the best live regatta coverage there is. Check out Quantum Sails, Point Loma Outfitting, Santa Cruz Yachts, Latis Yachting Solutions, Melges Performance Sailboats, Flying Tiger Boats, Dax OneTouch Winch Handles, and HBI Boats.

Another double bullet in a OD: Go the Storck fam. aboard the J-80 Rumor. Real sailing talents, truly nice and great people, best of luck!

#42 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:00 PM

0953H: Anchored at 24 30.729N 81 43.618W, Looking at a possible course bearing of 320, distance 1.8 legs - div 3

Clean Report

Rough Day at the Office

Bullets Galore

Another double bullet in a OD: Go the Storck fam. aboard the J-80 Rumor. Real sailing talents, truly nice and great people, best of luck!

second that.

0958H: (SB) Div 1 Signal Boat has set the anchor and our new position is 24 29.722 N / 81 49.120 W. Weather Mark Boat One is reporting wind from 315 @ 12-14 kts.

#43 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:02 PM

1000H: Div2 Signal is on station and getting wind readings from the mark boats. 330 degrees at 7 knots ... they said it was sunny but we don't believe them. We are really rocking on the bridge ... those standing are displaying extraordinary dancing skills ... those sitting are sliding from side to side much like the story Keeler narrates of the guy in a wheel chair on the front deck of a cruise ship with his hands in the air

#44 bobbyh

bobbyh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

on my new boat? it was hard to justify spending the time and money for 10 races, which is a stretch given the wide variety of conditions seen over a week like last year when we raced 3 out of 5 days (although the competition made the choice difficult). we'll be doing st. pete nood's; hopefully we can get 9 races (3 on fri and sat, 2 on sun) for a small fraction of kw, although the competition won't be as good...

I didn't think you guys would get the new boat down there this soon, just kinda figured you would have a ride with someone for the week.

#45 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

1002H: Dick is making his morning announcement to the fleet .. first warning signal at 10:30 ... plan is to run two races today - div 2

#46 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Beat you to Hawaii by ten years...................

#47 Wash

Wash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

This is Wash on Div 1--- We actually backed up to get a long enough weather leg in for the present wind direction. This wind direction is the toughest to lay courses on this circle due to depth issues. Just have to make sure we do not set up marks, laylines, starting and finish lines on top of shallow areas. Anything else on the course that is an issue depth wise is the competitors' responsibility.

#48 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

I didn't think you guys would get the new boat down there this soon, just kinda figured you would have a ride with someone for the week.

i have to ration my sailing time wisely, don't want trouble on the home front. payin' my dues...

#49 bobbyh

bobbyh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

i have to ration my sailing time wisely, don't want trouble on the home front. payin' my dues...

Understood. :lol:

#50 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

1005H: 50 % cloud cover ... breezy at 10 knots now .. - div 2

#51 Anarchist

Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Racing Sailboats, Cruising Sailboats, Sailing equipment, Sailing gear, and Sailing.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:09 PM

T-18 minutes to thunderstorm...

#52 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:09 PM

This is Wash on Div 1--- We actually backed up to get a long enough weather leg in for the present wind direction. This wind direction is the toughest to lay courses on this circle due to depth issues. Just have to make sure we do not set up marks, laylines, starting and finish lines on top of shallow areas. Anything else on the course that is an issue depth wise is the competitors' responsibility.

I don't envy you, sounds like some tough decisions.

#53 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:14 PM

Of course they did - they are reading all of this, just like every other motherfucker in the sailing world!

WELCOME RACE FANS! While the breeze is moderate at the moment, the seas are wild and confused, and we are rocking and rolling. The inside of our boat looks like a NASA station.

Here's the first of Petey's work - just a teaser:

#54 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

1011H: (SB) Today we have George from Commander's Weather on board today. He is reporting a possible shower in 10-15 minutes with a right shift which should come back after the shower passes. Still deciding on the bearing and start line not set yet. Courses are #4 for all classes with a 2.3 mile windward leg for IRC#1 and 2.0 for the other classes. (SW) Being advised that a rain shower is headed our way with a right shift in it and that the wind should go back once the shower has past. Setting the course square to 320 Mag.

#55 Anarchist

Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

T-18 minutes to thunderstorm...

Wind will go to 340 for a bit after the frontal passage...and then back to 310-315.

EDIT: And tell George from Commanders to quit coying everything I say... :P

HI GEORGE!

#56 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:17 PM

1016H: Courses preliminary set: Phrf1, 2: 4 legs, 2.0 mi, 320-ish; J80, Phrf3, 4:4 legs, 1.6mi, 320-ish

#57 tuff

tuff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

From the North Sails Weather Forecast:

Detailed Wind Forecast:
Time Wind Speed Wind Direction (True)
(LT) Mean Range Mean Range
1000 20 17-22 255 240-275 ...early build
1200 21 19-24 265 250-285 ...peak winds just ahead of the front
1400 18 16-21 275 260-300 ...Lull to high teens, lingering gusts to 25+ knots
1600 20 18-23 300 270-310 ...shift to NW flow, temperatures dropping to 50F

Full discussion here: http://na.northsails...21/Default.aspx

#58 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

Our poor sponsor John, owner of HBI Boats, was a bit overwhelmed by the chop yesterday, and not used to driving in those conditions. The RIB came down extra hard on an exposed screw on the back of the hunk of fishing shit we had, and blew a tube in an awkward place.

So the RIB will be back in business tomorrow with a hot shot fishing boat driver, and the fotage will be epic, and today we are on the BATTLE CRUISER. Check out www.charterboatrow.com to see our "Relentless" monster, a Torres 43.

Course set for Division 1: 2.1 NM. We are here!

#59 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

1019H: Breeze at 315 degrees kicking to the right at 12 to 15 knots ... forecast is to build as another front comes in around 3PM ... bit cooler than yesterday. We are posting course 4 (4 legs) at 1.7 nm for the M32 class ... 1.4 nm for the M24s and J105s ... ten minutes to the first warning. Recorders are being checked.

#60 Anarchist

Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

From the North Sails Weather Forecast:

Detailed Wind Forecast:
Time Wind Speed Wind Direction (True)
(LT) Mean Range Mean Range
1000 20 17-22 255 240-275 ...early build
1200 21 19-24 265 250-285 ...peak winds just ahead of the front
1400 18 16-21 275 260-300 ...Lull to high teens, lingering gusts to 25+ knots
1600 20 18-23 300 270-310 ...shift to NW flow, temperatures dropping to 50F

Full discussion here: http://na.northsails...21/Default.aspx

No offense to the North Sails forecast but it is outta whack. The front has already gone through. They have it clearing through early afternoon. Their right shift is also off by 30 degrees...

EDIT: I don't see a secondary frontal passage this afternoon either. There might be a minor wave but I don't see anything projecting to the surface.

#61 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

Of course they did - they are reading all of this, just like every other motherfucker in the sailing world!

WELCOME RACE FANS! While the breeze is moderate at the moment, the seas are wild and confused, and we are rocking and rolling. The inside of our boat looks like a NASA station.

Here's the first of Petey's work - just a teaser:

Excellent for just a teaser. Cannot wait for more.................

#62 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

1023H: Same setup as yesterday but we will not be using a centerline boat today - div 2

#63 Hippie

Hippie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

From the Tuesday Edition of Race Week News. This has to be the gayest sailing ad ever.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ad.bmp   648.05K   404 downloads

#64 Anarchist

Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

From the Tuesday Edition of Race Week News. This has to be the gayest sailing ad ever.

Well, psychologists say that folded arms typically indicates a sense of emotional discomfort...

#65 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

1030H: Course is set as 320 for all fleets

All PHRF-1 and PHRF-2 are here.

All of PHRF-3 is here, all J80's here

PHRF-4 is missing Dimarian 21 - the other J/24.

The intention is to start on time.

Only missing one boat on Day 2

#66 flaps15

flaps15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

Well, psychologists say that folded arms typically indicates a sense of emotional discomfort...

......or constipation.

#67 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

1032H: (SW) IRC Warning Signal posted at 1030 et

#68 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

1034H: 335 degrees at 12 knots .. we are in postponement now making adjustments for the wind - DIV 2

#69 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

038H: (SW) IRC start off on time- all clear- skies getting darker ahead. Farr 40's are next.

#70 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

This is funny - I'm picking up the wi-fi networks of Nanoq and Flash right now...IRC 1 boats are off, with amperrin and the Yeoman winning the boat, pinning out Rosebud...for a second at least.

#71 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

1040H: gate just called in 345 degrees (!) ... still under AP - div 2

you're right anarchist, that ns forecast wasn't close.

#72 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:46 PM

Barking Mad winning the pin - but what about that big right shift? Rain just started, we're headed to the top mark, alll vids loading.

#73 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

Well done Petey.

#74 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

1042H: (SW) Farr 40's off all clear. ITA 1 takes the starboard end with a beautiful start. (SB) All clear on Farr 40 start. Mascalzone Latino got a great start and forced Mangusta Risk to tack right at the start in front of the Signal Boat. Other boats tacked over to port . Mascalzone Latino tacked over shortly afterward. Fleet is split going up the beat.

Wind is fairly shifty-- Seeing rights at the top marks and lefties here on the signal boat. 10 - 15 degree deltas

1045H: looks like Div 1 is getting wet now ... we might have to wait until this little squall line goes through and see how the wind settles in .. should only be a few more minutes ... breeze is at 330 from the top of the course ... 320 at the bottom of the course - div 2

#75 jsmin

jsmin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

and then some - who in the hell ok'd that ad. funny shit

#76 thistleracer

thistleracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

Clean,

What is the sea state like?

#77 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

1045H: (SB) All clear for Swan 42s.

#78 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:Kicking Ass and Going Fast

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

LOL - :lol: It's the Nautical equivalent to Run DMC - So Frrrrreshhhhhhhhh

#79 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

1048H: (SW) Apparition sailed in between the Signal Boat streamer ball floating aft. An interesting few seconds as the ball disappeared under and wrapped in front of her keel. Fortunately it popped free. Apparition then did a 360 circle around the Signal Boat. - div 1

#80 Wash

Wash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

Clean,

What is the sea state like?

Sea State is surprisingly benign. Just wind waves.

#81 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:52 PM

1050H: Where did DIV 1 go ??? I can't see them any more ... here comes the rain and more breeze - div 2

#82 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Barking Mad owning the Left, Mascalzone on the right, and 15 deg of left just came through - it's damned true that whatever few boats are here, the level is HIGH. One pack of boats, no real stragglers at all.

#83 Shife

Shife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Nice job, LZ! Very cool.

#84 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:53 PM

Thanks Wash, nice to see you over here.

#85 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

1051H: (SW) IRC 2 off clean.

#86 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

1054H: Weather Mark One is reporting wind at 315. First boat is around - Rosebud of course

#87 Wash

Wash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:56 PM

Thanks Wash, nice to see you over here.

:0) Just lurking do not tell anyone!

#88 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

1058H: Breeze is settling in at 330 at 14 knots ... we are warming the troups up .. going into starting sequence shortly ... 11AM warning - div 2

#89 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

Pre-Start:

#90 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

1059H: All boats are off and running. Winds are shifting left, not holding, shifting right, not holding, shifting, shifting back, boats are all over.

Boat just lost a mast - 41204 - XS !!!

On the starts, here are the highlights:

PHRF-1: Kali and Wairere got thrown over the line and had to pay the price of coming back.

PHRF-2: Rush had their usual good start.

#91 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

And the rightie stays:

Farr 40:

Mascalzone
Convexity
Plenty
Goombay
mangusta
Nanoq
Oz
Joe Fly
Flash
Spaceman Spiff

IRC 1 : Rosebud
Rio
Anema Core

#92 bobbyh

bobbyh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

Spaceman needs to get it going.

#93 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

1106H: Squall has passed through and the wind is shifting from 315 and 340 and from 8-14 k wind.

1103H: J80: The pack was in the middle, but Blind Faith at the pin end had the better line on clear air.

PHRF-3: Everyone got hit with a shift to hold them off of the line. Mother Ocean and L'Outrage were sitting together. Tangent and Seefest had the second row.

PHRF-4: Elysium was still out first as the squal hit during the last final minute.

XS broke below the spreader level; person in water to free the sails from the mast. Tenders are standing by. All crew are okay.

XS was close to the weather mark when the mast went.

#94 thistleracer

thistleracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

And the rightie stays:

Farr 40:

Mascalzone
Convexity
Plenty
Goombay
mangusta
Nanoq
Oz
Joe Fly
Flash
Spaceman Spiff

Rio
Anema Core

? Barking Mad ?

#95 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,148 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

Damn, I want to hear the onboard account of what happened on XS

#96 thistleracer

thistleracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

Spaceman needs to get it going.

Clean said earlier that there were no straglers but who knows how they will hold up or fall back fiest year with the boat no OD and not alot of real practice time. HHHHHUUUUGGGGEEEE learning curve.

#97 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

1107H: As usual there was a lot of "competitor coaching" (edit- not sure what this is) during the starts. - div 3

First J80 - 19 - Rumor is around the top end (edit - shock)

#98 NewportStormer

NewportStormer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

And the rightie stays:

Farr 40:

Mascalzone
Convexity
Plenty
Goombay
mangusta
Nanoq
Oz
Joe Fly
Flash
Spaceman Spiff

Rio
Anema Core

? Barking Mad ?

Not there, but based on the fact that they won the pin, and started left, they chanced that early 15 deg. lefty and LOST the bet. Too bad, Ms. Anderson who is onboard is hot!

#99 Dodge Asterisk

Dodge Asterisk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Nice job, LZ! Very cool.

Very Nice Mr. LZ. Now can you put the Titbar talent on a spreadsheet and rate them. A fair bit more useful.

Red Garder - Mercedes, Michelle, Ms Violet, Shanny the fanny.
Rum Runners - Tammy. Frangellico, Lolli
Pure Platinum - Prudence, Dolly and Quint (aka, Ms Netstocking) evenings only.

#100 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Sorry, Barking Mad was maybe 7th.

Swann 42:
Vitesse
Long Echo