MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:32 AM

Fixed

We're headed down to the Melges Rocks! party, so just a short update for today's Key West On-The-Water Anarchy, presented by Quantum Sails:

While the expected 25 knots never quite materialized, great breeze of 14-22 was on all day, providing fun spectating and exciting racing on all courses for two planned races. The leader boards didn't change much Italians still own the Melges 24 and Farr 40 classes, while Star still sits on top of the 32 class. Rosebud is just a couple of points out of first in IRC1behind TP52 Ran, while the Mills and King 40 are battling for racer/cruiser silverware in IRC2.

We didn't get any real NASCAR-style carnage, though there will be plenty of busy sailmakers tonight a late casualty was John Dane's M32 War Canoe, whose kite decided to take a swim around the keel and rudder and it took a sharp knife to bring it back in line. Doug Fisher's garish Robertson 41 XS blew a runner block and lost their rig, but these resourceful whack jobs are busy this moment screwing, epoxying and splinting the whole mess back together, and they actually expect to make the start tomorrow.

We'll be there watching them in answer to your many comments and e-mails asking us to give the Division 3 boats some love, we're going to spend pretty much all day on the dumptruck/shitbox course. The J/80s have a strong class, and we'll enjoy watching so many Anarchists having fun on the little boats handicap and OD - for a change. You can relive the fun from today on the Day 2 thread, and you can see all the Day 3 action pictures, videos, and live commentary from yours truly as well as a good interview with Tim Kernan, designer of the SC 37 and Jennifer Langille, producer of Premiere Racing's decent live blog (it kills me to say that) on the Wednesday thread. We've got our RIB back tomorrow which should let us send Petey and Mer over to Division 2 for a bit, as well as getting us close to the Division 3 action for images to share with you.

Our sponsors have also stepped up and Point Loma Outfiting, Dax OneTouch winch handles, and Latis Yachting Solutions are offering 20% off of their inventory just for you just enter 'KW09' in the promotion code part of the checkout process, and get your sweet gear today. When requesting an estimate for moving your race boat with Latis, just mention OTW Anarchy and you'll get 10-20% off the quote.

And thanks for watching our 2009 OTW Anarchy Key West presented by Quantum Sails. You guys have been doing a great job of showing our sponsors that you support them like they do us so please keep it up. These discounts are only good for the month, so make it happen now. Big thanks to Quantum Sails, Point Loma Outfitting, Santa Cruz Yachts, Latis Yachting Solutions, Melges Performance Sailboats, Flying Tiger Boats, Dax OneTouch Winch Handles, and HBI Boats.

Forecast:

North winds 20 to 25 knots and gusty in the morning... decreasing to 15 to 20 knots in the afternoon. Seas 5 to 8 feet... subsiding to 3 to 6 feet. Nearshore waters rough...becoming choppy.

#2 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:41 AM

We all like browsing stores full of nice gear - here's your chance to virtually browse one of the nicest there is - Tom Carruther's Point Loma Outfitting. 20% off right now - use the KW09 code and buy your Patagonia/Slam/Atlantis/Puma gear today!

#3 Mr. Smartypants

Mr. Smartypants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:39 AM

Love the coverage

Thanks

#4 FastIdiot

FastIdiot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:38 AM

Clean.

Great job on the coverage. Kudos to all of your sponsors for stepping up and supporting.

Hat's off to Doug, Brian and crew on XS. Most certainly a Herculean effort.

Those guys simply do not take no for an answer :blink: .

Have a Kettle bloody mary and go get some footage of them putting the old girl back together..

FM

#5 FastIdiot

FastIdiot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:05 PM

Clean.

Great job on the coverage. Kudos to all of your sponsors for stepping up and supporting.

Hat's off to Doug, Brian and crew on XS. Most certainly a Herculean effort.

Those guys simply do not take no for an answer :blink: .
Have a Kettle bloody mary and go get some footage of them putting the old girl back together..

FM

And please be there to get footage of when they wind up the runner for the first time :ph34r:

#6 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts
  • Interests:Kicking Ass and Going Fast

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:24 PM

Big Cold Winds expected for today with a high of 60 and winds from 20-25 knots out of the North -

#7 Reefed

Reefed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:27 PM

And please be there to get footage of when they wind up the runner for the first time :ph34r:

I'm torn between wanting to see some Div 3 coverage and watching XS all day long for what may come.

EDIT: Never mind... I see now that XS is in Div 3. Win-win!

#8 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

STANDINGS

DIV 1 - http://www.premiere-...div1_series.htm

DIV 2 - http://www.premiere-...div2_series.htm

DIV 3 - http://www.premiere-...div3_series.htm

#9 Winever

Winever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

Clean, your Day Three title is giving new meaning to the Nascar words "race the truck" and "what can brown do for you" :lol:

Can't wait to see the coverage. The boys on XS have to be brave sailing with that repair over their heads, not a time I'd want to be in the pit. Best of luck to them.

BTW, another snow day, ended up with 5" on the ground and frozen icy roads. If it wasn't for OTW I'd be on the porch with a six pack watching the locals slide around. ;)

Cheers, Winever.

#10 Anarchist

Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Racing Sailboats, Cruising Sailboats, Sailing equipment, Sailing gear, and Sailing.

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

The bite of a winter high...

A large dome of high pressure has flooded southward overnight taking temperatures in the Northern Keys into the 40s and into the mid 50s in the lower Keys. Tack on 19 knots of wind from 354m degrees and very dry air and you have the makings for wind chills in the high 30s and low 40s . The relatively warm 71'1 F' water temps actually make the frigid conditions worse as evaporation is enhanced.

The sea state is moderate to flat and if you are a fan of good breeze and flat water, today is your kind of day. The winds fall way off tonight as the high pressure migrates to a position roughly over Florida and the wind speeds should be down in the single digits on Thursday.

More in a bit...

#11 Digital Vibrations

Digital Vibrations

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

The thermometer shows a balmy 41 degrees this morning in Ft Lauderdale. add wind chill and it's fucking cold this am...

#12 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

The thermometer shows a balmy 41 degrees this morning in Ft Lauderdale. add wind chill and it's fucking cold this am...

Cold?...You have no idea what cold is. :(

#13 El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:16 PM

That is what cable telivision is for... the discovery channel shows plenty of that shit!!

#14 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

Is the Kattack tracking that Dawg and Vegas were testing last week running?..Links?

#15 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

Is the Kattack tracking that Dawg and Vegas were testing last week running?..Links?

I just sent and e-mail to Tom to see if we can get some exclusive stuff out here - This was a beta player so if we do get some feeds and it boggs down the experience we'll have to pull it - But this is a good testing ground none the less.

#16 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

Morning Clean,
How's the Hangover? (compliments of the Melges folks)

Don't forget to check in with Espo on the J/29 on Div 3.... always "entertaining".....
Praying that Doug & Team XS's hard work pays off. Good Luck guys!

#17 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:36 PM

Morning Clean,

Don't forget to check in with Espo on the J/29 on Div 3.... always "entertaining".....

Shit Alan's still sleeping.... are you kidding me?

He'll pop in around 10:15 LOL

#18 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

From the RC Blog:

It's A Special Day...Mount Gay Rum Day Folks!

Welcome to Day Three of Acura Key West Race Week...

0829H: Houston we have a problem...power is out on the island but all measures are being made to stay in touch with race fans.

It is the intention of RC to get off two races under cloudy to partly cloudy skies, no showers on the radar and breeze ranging in the 15-20 knot range.

I did not drink enough coffee for this, however, it adds a new challenge to the day. Back in a few!
Event Blogger: Jennifer Langille

#19 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

Morning Clean,

LOL!!!
unfortunatley, I've got to go to meetings before then. :-(

#20 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

Morning Clean,

LOL!!!
unfortunatley, I've got to go to meetings before then. :-(

Call IT and have them deliver a wi-fi connected laptop or a crack-berry

#21 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

Web Cams are showing boats heading out in windy, overcast conditions

http://www.floridake.../galleonmarina/
http://www.floridake...cams.tv/westin/
http://www.floridake...v/shipwrecktwr/

#22 Downtown

Downtown

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

I will second that...9 degrees this morning with a wind chill of -5. Last week, I woke up to -10 with a wind chill of -30. That would be fahrenheit for all of the Canadians and Euros.

This is borderline too cold to even hit the slopes.

#23 thistleracer

thistleracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

I was in meetings most of the day and then class in the evenings and my crackberry let me access the feed just fine. Talk about saving the day! No one could even call me I locked my broadband on!

#24 PhilRizzuto

PhilRizzuto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:00 PM

yeah! We want to hear his excuse for losing to an ODAY 40 in the last race.

#25 Saltwater Cowboy

Saltwater Cowboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

The conditions should make for some good racing. I recall 2003 having a couple of days that were the same. Everyone was racing in full foulies, and I recall Worst Marine selling out of every jacket and shell they had. This is a pic I purchased from Tim Wilkes.

Posted Image

Have fun today Clean. I doubt you'll be providing any gratuitous bikini shots of the OTW crew.

#26 Marie Laveau

Marie Laveau

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hey Clean,
while you there, give some luv to tha PWRYC boahs aboard LIGHTNING ROD

tha blog
http://www.lightning...g.blogspot.com/

they ON!!

#27 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

Clean will probably kill me for posting this but here is Petey's Day 2 Recap ENJOY!

#28 Trimmed for speed - - -

Trimmed for speed - - -

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for excellent work so far Clean. My ride, Convictus Maximus (Farr42), pulled the plug a while back unfortunately - so you're my lifeline to this years events!

I took TC's offer up and grabed a vest from the Point Loma Outfitters site - what a great group. It shipped SAME DAY!

Keep up the good work - stay hydrated.

#29 Anarchist

Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Racing Sailboats, Cruising Sailboats, Sailing equipment, Sailing gear, and Sailing.

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:21 PM

The wind continues to back off and bend to the right. 20-50m degrees is generally the rule. Air temp has actually dipped over the last hour to 54.1 degrees. Wind speeds are into the mid teens now and may end up in the single digits this afternoon/evening.

Wind chill is currently 44.5 degrees so foulies are likely to be the rule on all but the largest boats.

#30 Scum Bum

Scum Bum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

Clean will probably kill me for posting this but here is Petey's Day 2 Recap ENJOY!

Kick ass...

#31 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

Vegas

Awesome, thanks.

Couple suggestions..First, maybe put these in a separate thread, so it doesn't bog the OTW live one. Second, is there a color legend for the boats?

#32 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

Vegas

Awesome, thanks.

Couple suggestions..First, maybe put these in a separate thread, so it doesn't bog the OTW live one. Second, is there a color legend for the boats?

I agree, and when I went to pick the race and the set up - I did click on the 'Boat Names' button to have those displayed --- Let me work on that and try again - Is it boggin shit down for others - Please chime in (if you have a pair / real or virtual)

#33 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:33 PM

Need an XS update - How's it going?

#34 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

I went ahead and pulled the player - It was boggin me down - But as i understand it there are free races to watch out at www.Kattack.com

Use the PC Player -

#35 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

Update from the RC bloggers:

Division 1 - IRC 1, IRC 2, Farr 40, Swan 42, Farr 30
Reporter: Steve Washburn/Susan Burnside

0936H: (SW) Starting to check boats in as they make their way downwind from KW to the starting area

0930H: The competitors are beginning to arrive. Seas are bouncing around 3-4 ft. We've been seeing wind direction swinging between 035 and 050

0925H: (SB) The Div 1 Signal Boat is on station at 24 29.619 N / 81 51.043 W. Wind is about 19-21 kts. Haven't settled in enough to give direction

0846H: (SB) Good Morning Race Fans - Susan here on the Div 1 Signal Boat heading out to the course area. It's a bit on the cool side today, but the winds are perfect. Most of our crew is bundled up with fleece, foulies and earmuffs, but inside at my computer it's nice and toasty. Looks like we will have an overcast day until this front moves through.
Susan and Steve each have a candid photo journal running. Click on their names to left.

Division 2 - Merges 32, Melges 24, J/105
Reporter: Cindy Saunders

0942H: Signal is anchoring now. The armada is coming out of the harbor to do battle again.

Tramp is first to the Signal

Division 3 - J/80, PHRF 1, PHRF 2, PHRF 3, PHRF 4
Reporter: Joy Dorethy

0941H: Boats are showing up. EmOcean is here.

Race 5 will probably be 4 legs with the PHRF1, 2, and J80s doing the long leg and PHRF3,4 doing the short distance. Looking at 2.0 and 1.7 legs with a bearing in the 03x-ish range maybe.

#36 bobbyh

bobbyh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

Pull it together Clean, you've got to get me through Torts and Property today.

#37 coach

coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:53 PM

Vegas

Awesome, thanks.

I agree, and when I went to pick the race and the set up - I did click on the 'Boat Names' button to have those displayed --- Let me work on that and try again - Is it boggin shit down for others - Please chime in (if you have a pair / real or virtual)

Not boggin mine down. Great stuff. Thanks to Mr. Clean and the rest of you. Have really enjoyed the coverage this week. Work is taking a hit though. Watching the Blog most of the time now.

Ryan
Charleston, SC :lol:

#38 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

Motherfucking power went off last night, killing our video uploads and alarm clock. Power came on at 9 AM of course, right when we were leaving. Unbelievable. The Melges party wasn't last night, it's tonight - though we made our own party, and I'm suffering for it.

I have to tell you all - downtown is depressing. I simply cannot believe how dead the town was. YOU who are familiar with KW, note that we checked out Sloppy Joe's, the Parrot, and a half dozen other places - and they were EMPTY. Any other year, all those places were completely packed, spilling over into the streets. Is it the end of an era? No idea - but something has got to change - it is NOT just the economy that has kept the sailors home. I hope that Premiere can pull it together, because this is truly a favorite for so many folks. KW is great because the allure of it is about 50% party and 50% racing. Without 200 boats, it's just an expensive regatta.

#39 coreymon

coreymon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

Vegas

Awesome, thanks.

Not boggin mine down. Great stuff. Thanks to Mr. Clean and the rest of you. Have really enjoyed the coverage this week. Work is taking a hit though. Watching the Blog most of the time now.

Ryan

that was fun while it lasted. worked fine for me. bring it to the masses!

#40 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:00 PM

52 degrees right now. Fuck that.

#41 Franklins Tower

Franklins Tower

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Interests:Well I have to include sailing as one of my interests.

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:02 PM

Any XS sightings?

#42 boswell

boswell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:J-22, misc PHRF boats, IC-24

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

Giggle. Payback for all the poor souls freezing their asses off in the Midwest who couldn't make the trip south.

#43 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

Vegas

Awesome, thanks.

Ryan

that was fun while it lasted. worked fine for me. bring it to the masses!

Alright - I'll bring that beat Back -

How about the M32s this time?

#44 FastIdiot

FastIdiot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

Anybody heard anything from XS?

#45 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

#46 Eggy

Eggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:09 PM

Petey post #27 Recap of day 2 is fine indeed, more footage of on board camera. Is Star the only boat you have equipment on? Thanks Clean crew, the cool air should help the capillaries in the head shrink a bit. :lol:

#47 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

SOmeone please let me know what channel the Div 3 RC is on. THX

#48 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

Sorry the race player isn't displaying the boat names - Remember this is a Beta ;)

#49 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

68-74 is my guess - Just start hailing them on each channel and ask if anyone has any Grey Pupon - They love that shit!

SI's say they are broadcasting intentions on 72,73,and 74 - So i'd guess Div 3 would be 74

#50 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Onboard camera is aboard SC 37 today. They told us they were passing the big heavy Mills/Kings easily downwind, and that it was about fun downwind rides - we said, "prove it."

#51 RUMLIME

RUMLIME

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Sorry the race player isn't displaying the boat names - Remember this is a Beta ;)

if you run your mouse over the boat the name appears

#52 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

"morning!
VHF 74...

Give Espo some shit,
and let us know how "XS" fares.

#53 ToneMart

ToneMart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

Going out on protector now. XS is in front of the A & B sign. No stick.

#54 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

- it is NOT just the economy that has kept the sailors home.

I think it is.

#55 DriverEd

DriverEd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

Clean, your Day Three title is giving new meaning to the Nascar words "race the truck" and "what can brown do for you" :lol:

Can't wait to see the coverage. The boys on XS have to be brave sailing with that repair over their heads, not a time I'd want to be in the pit. Best of luck to them.

BTW, another snow day, ended up with 5" on the ground and frozen icy roads. If it wasn't for OTW I'd be on the porch with a six pack watching the locals slide around. ;)

Cheers, Winever.

Did you end up with that much down your way? We had about 6 at the house.

#56 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:22 PM

SC 37 onboard camera should be great...esp w/ 25 knots today!!

looking forward to the real action

#57 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:22 PM

Going out on protector now. De is in front of the A & B sign. No stick.

Is there sign of life?? Maybe trying to make the 2nd race??
40-50* makes it a bitch for the epoxy to cure.

#58 RacerX

RacerX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

Just rang some of my friends on XS....got all VMs, so I'm guessing they are out there?? Clean, any updates?? I heard the delivery down to KWRW was quite a ride surfing at 20knots...then something happened to the stearing pin, it was fixed but heard it was quite a wipeout!!! Anyho, good luck today boys....

#59 Franklins Tower

Franklins Tower

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Interests:Well I have to include sailing as one of my interests.

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

Just got the 411 on XS. Power went out (turned off the heat lamps) glue didn't kick. MIGHT make second race. Probably going out tomorrow morning.

#60 Jib Man

Jib Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

... here is Petey's Day 2 Recap ENJOY!

Excellent vids! Gotta love the on-board cam.

Editing without power must be a bitch.

#61 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

Just got the 411 on XS. Power went out (turned off the heat lamps) glue didn't kick. MIGHT make second race. Probably going out tomorrow morning.

Gotta love FLA, power goes out because the temp went to 40. We would be out mowing the lawn. :blink:

#62 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

Yup that would do it - That Sucks

#63 Strategery

Strategery

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

Keep an eye on Lightning Rod today...

#64 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

1021H: RC posting course 4 ... 1.7nm for M32 class and 1.5 for M24 and J105 ... bearing 045. Mark boats are getting in position now. 10 minutes to first warning.

1029H: Course is setttled at 040; All other course info remains the same - 4 legs, Phrf1,2 J80 with 2.0 distance legs and Phrf3,4 with 1.7mile legs

#65 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

I was just told that I tried to steal a bicycle from someone last night on our walk home. I'm not shocked.

#66 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

1031H: Blah, Blah, Blah, and Confederate Ram seem to be the only two boats missing.

Starting our sequence on time.

#67 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

With the breeze out of the NE, this Division is the only one that's out of the lee of KW. Little boats get big waves today...20 knots solid, 3-5 foot seas.

#68 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

1021H: RC posting course 4 ... 1.7nm for M32 class and 1.5 for M24 and J105 ... bearing 045. Mark boats are getting in position now. 10 minutes to first warning.

1029H: Course is setttled at 040; All other course info remains the same - 4 legs, Phrf1,2 J80 with 2.0 distance legs and Phrf3,4 with 1.7mile legs

Does anyone else think that it's odd that the screaming M32's get a 1.7nm leg, and the J/80's have to bang out 2 nm??

#69 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

We are here!

#70 flaps15

flaps15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

That is really fucked up.

#71 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

Motherfucking power went off last night, killing our video uploads and alarm clock. Power came on at 9 AM of course, right when we were leaving. Unbelievable. The Melges party wasn't last night, it's tonight - though we made our own party, and I'm suffering for it.

I have to tell you all - downtown is depressing. I simply cannot believe how dead the town was. YOU who are familiar with KW, note that we checked out Sloppy Joe's, the Parrot, and a half dozen other places - and they were EMPTY. Any other year, all those places were completely packed, spilling over into the streets. Is it the end of an era? No idea - but something has got to change - it is NOT just the economy that has kept the sailors home. I hope that Premiere can pull it together, because this is truly a favorite for so many folks. KW is great because the allure of it is about 50% party and 50% racing. Without 200 boats, it's just an expensive regatta.

Maybe invite the 20's?

#72 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:36 PM

1033H: We are now inside the M32 starting sequence ... 3 minute to the start

Does anyone else think that it's odd that the screaming M32's get a 1.7nm leg, and the J/80's have to bang out 2 nm??

big time
1015H: (SW) Setting the course square to 035 mag. WM1 2.3 nm / WM2 2.0 nm. - div 1
practically as long as rosebud's legs.

#73 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

1036H: (SW) IRC 1 off clean with a beautiful set up of all the boats right on the line bows out Sun breaking through giving us the bright green water KW is famous for.

1036H: AND they are off and running ... no over earlies ... 5 minutes break before the first warning of M24 class

#74 oneguyfromdetroit

oneguyfromdetroit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll, Motorcycles

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Actually, that was true to some degree last year. With the economy in the shitter, fewer non-sailors are visiting KW, thereby taking away that critical mass of people that you need to pack the bars and make those memories of 'what happens in KW stays in KW'... Plus, with a higher percentage of pro programs, those guys won't be out setting their hair on fire until the end of the week....so, hence the empty streets.
It IS the economy. Sailing hasn't gotten worse in KW; say what you want, but Premiere does a consistently damn good job, overall, of race management.

#75 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

Oops - wrong mark. It is honking, and I just put two more layers of clothing on. It may not be as bad as the midwest, but it sucks!

#76 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

1041H: Farr 40's on the course- all clear at the start.

#77 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

Pics, grumpy Clean! And how hurt are you this am???

#78 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

1045H: inside one minute to the start ... jibs are not out yet ...30 seconds ... 15...All Clear - div 2, m24's

#79 madre

madre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Hey for those interested in the Reverend Petey Crawford, shooter working with Clean & highlights creator--here's the link to his bio on our site.

http://www.iniki.com/t-crawford.aspx

We also have Pete's DVDs for sale, which means you could watch his stuff at your leisure on something other than a dinky little youtube window. (I'm no production values Nazi, but watching youtube makes me want to cry.)

As I say in the bio. I think Pete's style of shooting, combined with the tecnology that lets you shoot simultaneously from multiple angles and measurement provided by programs like Kattack, has implications for the sport. I'd be interested sometime to hear what anarchists think about it. (But not now, now we are watching races!)

Great job on coverage everyone!

heather@iniki.com

#80 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

1046H: (SW) Swan 42's are on the track now. All clear start for them as well.

#81 Old Man On The Bow

Old Man On The Bow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

Actually, that was true to some degree last year. With the economy in the shitter, fewer non-sailors are visiting KW, thereby taking away that critical mass of people that you need to pack the bars and make those memories of 'what happens in KW stays in KW'... Plus, with a higher percentage of pro programs, those guys won't be out setting their hair on fire until the end of the week....so, hence the empty streets.
It IS the economy. Sailing hasn't gotten worse in KW; say what you want, but Premiere does a consistently damn good job, overall, of race management.

Dito on that.

Regards

Oh Congrats on the NA40

#82 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

I don't disagree that Premiere throws a great regatta. But the economy had nothing to do with the fact that the event has consistently slid from a high of 320 boats in 2002 or 3 to 264 last year. Sure, 154 is way different, but what those nonattending owners are saying is: Your event is just not worth the cost. I honestly think that Premiere is listening, but only out of desperation. Had they thought about it a few years ago, they'[d be better positioned for today. The 20s? Of course that's the next movie - there doesn't seem to be much alternative - time to embrace the sporties!

#83 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:53 PM

FUck it is honking over here.

#84 Cuttyhunker

Cuttyhunker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

With the breeze out of the NE, this Division is the only one that's out of the lee of KW. Little boats get big waves today...20 knots solid, 3-5 foot seas.

Seefest the J-29 should like that 20 knots and 3-5 ft waves is what he kicked my ass in at BBR last year.

#85 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

1053H: (SW) IRC 2 off the line all clear. Most fleets favoring the left side for the first half of the first weather leg. Rosebud just rounded the WM1 @ 1053. 18 Minute leg (2.3nm)

#86 Wash

Wash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

As far as participation-- keep in mind that if you are the head of a company with a loyal employee base-- it is bad form to go "play" sailboats in these economic times in the face of your employees who are for the most part struggling with the real world. I am hearing that this is the case for many not coming down as well.

#87 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

We're at the short mark for the PHRF 2 boats, they're coming up here now. Stollman out front in the big boats.

#88 tronner

tronner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

FUck it is honking over here.

How would we know? Vid..Pics.... hehehe

#89 Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

Seefest the J-29 should like that 20 knots and 3-5 ft waves is what he kicked my ass in at BBR last year.

They'll just have to get Espo hiking!

#90 thistleracer

thistleracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:03 PM

As far as participation-- keep in mind that if you are the head of a company with a loyal employee base-- it is bad form to go "play" sailboats in these economic times in the face of your employees who are for the most part struggling with the real world.

IMHO it is the bosses who are the only ones who won't get fired for "going to play sailboats" it is the employees who can't afford to be seen as anything less than loyal. I just hope this shit show gets turned around you know the economy is fucked when life is this bad.

#91 QMN

QMN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

We're at the short mark for the PHRF 2 boats, they're coming up here now. Stollman out front in the big boats.

Joydot had them going to the long mark (2.0 ) !, 2, & J80

#92 PhilRizzuto

PhilRizzuto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

NFW! An Oday 40 will plane past a J29 in those conditions. Look for them to beat Seefest again.

#93 Flip Rigsby

Flip Rigsby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Hey Clean try and get some close up shots of Mo "Mother Ocean" the O'day 40 and some vid if you can. I want to see who is on her. Also Rick the owner of Mo would make a very interesting interview throw Espo in there with him and you might win an Oscar. Rick also owns a J29 He and Espo go way back. Espo always had something to say about the O'day 40. So it's pretty funny they are racing PHRF against each other.

See what you can do...

Great work so far, keep it up!

#94 oneguyfromdetroit

oneguyfromdetroit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll, Motorcycles

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

I don't disagree that Premiere throws a great regatta. But the economy had nothing to do with the fact that the event has consistently slid from a high of 320 boats in 2002 or 3 to 264 last year....

You're sure about that?
Without exception, EVERYONE I have spoken with, who is NOT in KW this year (and who you'd consider KW 'regulars') cited the economy as the main reason they were skipping this year. NONE of them cited any dissatisfaction with the event, or, the venue. We must not talk with the same people...

#95 The Winner

The Winner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

I don't disagree that Premiere throws a great regatta. But the economy had nothing to do with the fact that the event has consistently slid from a high of 320 boats in 2002 or 3 to 264 last year. Sure, 154 is way different, but what those nonattending owners are saying is: Your event is just not worth the cost. I honestly think that Premiere is listening, but only out of desperation. Had they thought about it a few years ago, they'[d be better positioned for today. The 20s? Of course that's the next movie - there doesn't seem to be much alternative - time to embrace the sporties!

The sad fact is that you can do 3-4 Charleston / St Pete's for the same money. Way more bang for the buck. Granted the competition isn't the same but for smaller crew funded programs its become a no brainer. Race way more pay less

#96 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

1103H: PHRF 1: EmOcean got the start (edit, nice), PHRF-2: the Flying Tiger was at the pin end with good air, Too Sweet took Rush's air; J80: Relentless and Angry Chameleon were ahead at the pin end with Bob Dylan and SWE621 forced to do an early tack.

PHRF-3: Thunderbolt fired out of the pin end with Tangent taking all of Seefest's air in the middle of the line. PHRF4: Caribean Soul was obvious out in front with Lightning Rod alone in the second row.

Winds seeing 020 with shifts back and forth.

Turning Point was the lead PHRF-1 boat at the windward end.

1103H: Last m32 has rounded the top mark ... top five are ... Leenabarca 83 ... Star 32 ...New Wave 73 ... Argo 72 ... Banshee 76. Winds have shifted and RC is posting a change course to 030 bearing at the leeward gate

1101H: (SW) Barking Mad first Farr 40 to WM2. No change of course for the fleets-- wind holding steady enough to keep the track the same.

#97 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

1105H: (SB) Hurrycane has retired from Race 5 to bring an injured crew member in. They report that they will be back for Race 6

#98 THC

THC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

Do I have to review everything you write Clean! The Promo Code for the 20% dicount at WWW.PointLomaOutfitting.Com is OTWA9; the code you gave out was for DAX's great deal. I don't know what to do, you give us a great boost with the video and then you screw it all up with the wrong promo code. I'll be muttering for the rest of the day about your antics.

#99 Yachtdog

Yachtdog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

Clean,
The Duval scene has been continually dying off over the years. It is NOTHING like it was back in 1990.

When people started becoming more serious about yachting than partying afterwards (read; crew curfews, wives, etc...), Key West became just another roundy round race.

If you can't go out and enjoy the night life in Key West , what does it matter where you hold a regatta?

Trust me, there are a few hold outs refusing to tuck themselves in at 9pm but they are a dying breed...
They know that Key West (the island) is not for serious people... Have Fun (if you're allowed that is)... :)

Now back to your regularly scheduled program... Sail on.

#100 Scum Bum

Scum Bum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

As far as participation-- keep in mind that if you are the head of a company with a loyal employee base-- it is bad form to go "play" sailboats in these economic times in the face of your employees who are for the most part struggling with the real world.

IMHO it is the bosses who are the only ones who won't get fired for "going to play sailboats" it is the employees who can't afford to be seen as anything less than loyal. I just hope this shit show gets turned around you know the economy is fucked when life is this bad.

One boss was overheard saying, "...how can I go to Key West after I just let go 1/2 my staff...".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users