6 replies to this topic

#1 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

Seven Sprint 750's made the trip to St. Petersburg for the 2009 NOOD regatta. Corsair trimarans in general were well represented with 17 boats total with the five 28R's and five 24MkII's also racing. The 28R's and 24MkII's were grouped into one start and the Sprints had their own start. All of the racing was done on multi lap WL courses. In our fleet, there was a lot of talent. Past Corsair Nationals winner Don Wigston was sailing with top multihull crew Mike McGarry. Phil Styne was sailing with Olympic medalist/coach Jay Glaser. Tim Britton had VX40 pro Jon Farrar on board. On my own boat, I recruited US Sailing team boatwright Donnie Brennan to sail his first multihull event in addition to my girlfriend Elise Read.

Racing started with a whimper on Friday as the fleet spent three hours in the basin waiting for the wind to fill in. Two races finally got sailed in 5-7 knots of breeze and the day ended with Don Wigston and Phil Styne each trading a 1,2 score. On my boat, we were happy with our first race 3rd just getting nipped at the finish by Don. In the second race, we were bummed to go from 1st at the first weather mark to fifth at the finish. We got pinned on the first downwind leg by Don and then pinwheeled at the leeward mark of the shortened 3 leg race when we converged with a parked 24MkII. The two quick beers after the race ended took the edge off the disappointment but we had a new resolve to do better on the second day of racing.

The second day got started on time and four races were sailed in 6-8 knots. In race 3 we were again first to the weather mark. We then got passed downwind by Tim and Jon who showed an ability for the rest of the day to go lower and the same speed than everyone else on the downwind legs. We almost caught them at the upwind finish but then we were bummed to find out we were OCS by a hair (along with Tim and Jon) so Don and Phil got another 1,2 respectively. The lack of a throwout in this series would come to haunt us as our goal was now to sail well enough for a podium finish. We had three thirds for the remaining racing which was dominated by Tim and Jon with a 1-2-1. Don had a 2-1-2 for the rest of the day and led the series easily. Phil and Jay got a 2nd in race 1 due to the OCS's but struggled with a 6-4-4 in the remaining races. While we sailed well that day, we did not see how we could break into the top three without a throwout.

The last day started with a postponement. We left the dock before the AP was lowered and found six knots of breeze on the racecourse. The RC was pretty lame not getting out there for another 30 minutes (we could have gotten a race in). We did sail one three leg race in six knots which again was won by Tim and Jon. We came into the leeward mark in third but had trouble with our screecher allowing Phil and Jay to pass us. The last race started in the most wind of the series, around 10 knots. We rounded the top mark 3rd but then the wind did a 180 degree shift near the leeward mark which resulted in abandonment of the race. Don and Mike easily won the series followed by Phil and Jay in 2nd who took advantage of the OCS's Tim and Jon and our boat had to count.

A positive note to this racing was that the 5th, 6th, and 7th place boats were very "in touch" with the top four. We had several races that had all seven boats finishing within 60 seconds of each other. Mistakes were costly and mark roundings were crowded places. Fun stuff! The next major event for our class will be the Corsair Nationals at Pensacola Yacht Club in mid April.

#2 Strategery

Strategery

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:36 AM

Nice writeup Bob.

Don said the racing was tight...I remain convinced that this class is going to be strong OD for a long time...

#3 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:40 AM

I'm going to put this up on the front page. Quick question for you tri guys - what about Charleston? We'd certainly make your class feel welcome, and the seabreeze is pretty damned sweet.

I think the event might go to 4 days next year, yet still be a fraction of KW costs with better parties. Would you come?

#4 Strategery

Strategery

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

I'm going to put this up on the front page. Quick question for you tri guys - what about Charleston? We'd certainly make your class feel welcome, and the seabreeze is pretty damned sweet.

I think the event might go to 4 days next year, yet still be a fraction of KW costs with better parties. Would you come?

Love Charleston - if I still had one I'd do it in a heartbeat.

#5 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:43 PM

Clean,

Thanks so much for posting my report. I volunteered to write it up and get it on this forum, the Farrier/Corsair forum, and the Sprint 750 forum so it was icing on the cake to see it on your front page this morning. We (the Sprint 750 sailors) strongly believe the Sprint 750 is Corsair's best chance for having a true OD racing class. The bonus to the boat (unlike the 20 foot sportboats) is that it's a great boat to take friends daysailing on and to even do some weekend camping/cruising. I've taken my 88 year old mom sailing on my boat twice and each time she has experienced boatspeeds of 12-14 knots in total safety and comfort.

We are trying to get our act together as a national class. Last year, we had six boats racing in the overall 30 boat Corsair fleet at the Corsair Nationals in Marion, MA. At the Nationals in Pensacola, I hope we can have a 10-12 boat fleet. Over 120 Sprint 750's have been built by Corsair but they are spread around the world. Two things work against us at times. The boat is expensive to purchase new (around $70K with full sail inventory, trailer, motor, shipping) and the owners tend to hang on to their boats so there is not much of a used boat market. We will probably never reach the level of the M-24's but I believe we can eventually start getting 15-20 boat fleets at our major regattas. Corsair's support of the class and the resolve of the owners to keep racing is critical.

Charleston Race Week 2009 is probably not doable for most of us as we will be focused on going to the Nationals in Pensacola in April BUT I suggested to the group in St. Pete that we should consider the event for 2010 in addition to the St. Pete NOOD. I think I could sail both Charleston and St. Pete for the price of Key West. Some want to go to Key West but I think it is too far and too expensive to attract a decent number of boats. I'd also like to get us to support the Galveston NOOD in September.

We'd love to have you come sail on one of our boats soon. In 12-15 knots of wind, we do 9.5-10.5 knots upwind and 14-16 knots downwind. The boat only needs 2-3 crew which makes it a physical challenge since it has about the same sail area as a Melges 24 (excluding the screecher). We believe if more people sailed the boat (especially in good breeze), they'd seriously consider getting one. I'll say the same thing about my A-Class so you have an invite there too!

Regards,

Bob Hodges
A-Class USA 230
Sprint 750 9

#6 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

Clean,

Thanks so much for posting my report. I volunteered to write it up and get it on this forum, the Farrier/Corsair forum, and the Sprint 750 forum so it was icing on the cake to see it on your front page this morning. We (the Sprint 750 sailors) strongly believe the Sprint 750 is Corsair's best chance for having a true OD racing class. The bonus to the boat (unlike the 20 foot sportboats) is that it's a great boat to take friends daysailing on and to even do some weekend camping/cruising. I've taken my 88 year old mom sailing on my boat twice and each time she has experienced boatspeeds of 12-14 knots in total safety and comfort.

We are trying to get our act together as a national class. Last year, we had six boats racing in the overall 30 boat Corsair fleet at the Corsair Nationals in Marion, MA. At the Nationals in Pensacola, I hope we can have a 10-12 boat fleet. Over 120 Sprint 750's have been built by Corsair but they are spread around the world. Two things work against us at times. The boat is expensive to purchase new (around $70K with full sail inventory, trailer, motor, shipping) and the owners tend to hang on to their boats so there is not much of a used boat market. We will probably never reach the level of the M-24's but I believe we can eventually start getting 15-20 boat fleets at our major regattas. Corsair's support of the class and the resolve of the owners to keep racing is critical.

Charleston Race Week 2009 is probably not doable for most of us as we will be focused on going to the Nationals in Pensacola in April BUT I suggested to the group in St. Pete that we should consider the event for 2010 in addition to the St. Pete NOOD. I think I could sail both Charleston and St. Pete for the price of Key West. Some want to go to Key West but I think it is too far and too expensive to attract a decent number of boats. I'd also like to get us to support the Galveston NOOD in September.

We'd love to have you come sail on one of our boats soon. In 12-15 knots of wind, we do 9.5-10.5 knots upwind and 14-16 knots downwind. The boat only needs 2-3 crew which makes it a physical challenge since it has about the same sail area as a Melges 24 (excluding the screecher). We believe if more people sailed the boat (especially in good breeze), they'd seriously consider getting one. I'll say the same thing about my A-Class so you have an invite there too!

Regards,

Bob Hodges
A-Class USA 230
Sprint 750 9

Bob,

I sailed on Ben's A-Cat out of Gulfport yesterday in 20 knots. The video is hilarious. I cannot believe how fast those little bastards go.

Try to work up support for 2010 Charleston now, and keep us posted about your upcoming events. Charleston will get you a national spotlight that no other event really will now that KW is a shadow of its former glory. I think we are going to try to go to a 4-day event next year, without increasing prices by much. CRW's new supremacy as the biggest SE event of the year should attract some good sponsors for the next few years.

I think the Sprint is very cool, and I agree with your evaluation about the potential OD racing for the boat. I'd love to come sail one when we can make it happen.

#7 chippin' away

chippin' away

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

Bob, Thanks for the detailed report. It looks great on the front page! Looking forward to a little more pressure and a few more boats in Pensacola.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users