#301 Wavedancer II

Wavedancer II

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

From Clean's post:

Here's the entry list - almost complete - for Valencia.

Some of the (really) big names in the Finn class that's for sure. Now, why didn't Luca invite an Old Laser Geezer like me?

#302 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

looks like fun!!

#303 Confused

Confused

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Adrenaline

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:41 PM

the bottom line is this..in the US at least... it does not matter how expensive it is (its cheaper than a moth)...the question is fleets...will they pop up in san diego, chicago detroit, newport, charlston, san francisco.....if they do, the boat will succeed.

#304 bistros

bistros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:01 AM

the bottom line is this..in the US at least... it does not matter how expensive it is (its cheaper than a moth)...the question is fleets...will they pop up in san diego, chicago detroit, newport, charlston, san francisco.....if they do, the boat will succeed.

Welcome, and nice first post.

I disagree with the concept that the question is fleets. It is actually the need for fanatical evangelists that are willing to go sail a boat without an existing fleet - because they love it. Evangelists can build fleets, but without evangelists that are willing to tell the world, fleets will never happen.

What the Devoti One needs is a bunch of Steve Jobs-type true believers that can create reality distortion fields to hocus pocus other people into drinking the Devoti Kool Aid. That's what builds initial fleets. Luca Devoti is doing this job already, but he needs about 8-10 more of himself distributed around the planet.

--
Bill

#305 Harbordude

Harbordude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:40 AM

There are two in Santa Cruz already and three more arriving late October.

#306 transom

transom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:49 AM

r there any of these in north america?

I'm thinking some of those 49er guys are thinking/wondering about a trapeze on these things.

#307 TeamFugu

TeamFugu

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts
  • Interests:Sailing skiffs, racing, rigging, et al.

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

transom - yes, and no. The D-one isn't really built for trapping and there is already the Musto, RS700, and Swift Solo to cover those markets actively sailing in North America.

Actually, Confused is probably more right than wrong. One hell of a marketing job has been done on Americans to get them to believe that sailing a forty, plus year-old design in fleets of 20 or more is far more rewarding than starting new fleets of newer, more robust designs that sail better, faster, and with more control. As much as Americans pride themselves on being innovators, pioneers, etc. we have become a nation of lemmings. Willing to follow rather than lead. The problem is much deeper than just sailing.

#308 Confused

Confused

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:05 PM

Hopefully with some fleets starting cali owners will buy the boats and sell them in a year to buy another. if the used market grows then the oppertunity grows. 15-20K is a lot for this type of boat and is cost prohibitive to many (including myself) especially in this economy. The other benefit of this boat is that this boat is marketed to adults not "kids" <130lbs.. that certainly helps the appeal

Bottom line, the boat has everything it takes to be incredible, luca just needs to market the US like he did Italy....get some demo boats travel around and have some good old fashioned racing

#309 TeamFugu

TeamFugu

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts
  • Interests:Sailing skiffs, racing, rigging, et al.

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:24 PM

Hopefully with some fleets starting cali owners will buy the boats and sell them in a year to buy another. if the used market grows then the oppertunity grows. 15-20K is a lot for this type of boat and is cost prohibitive to many (including myself) especially in this economy. The other benefit of this boat is that this boat is marketed to adults not "kids" <130lbs.. that certainly helps the appeal

Bottom line, the boat has everything it takes to be incredible, luca just needs to market the US like he did Italy....get some demo boats travel around and have some good old fashioned racing

Don't hold your breath on selling within a year. If the Mustos are much of an indicator, the new owners will keep them for quite a long time and I'm sure the boat will be spent when the trade for a new one. I also doubt they'll be selling them for too much less than the paid for them because the supply won't meet demand for a long time once the boat takes off in the US.

What I've seen with the Musto, is that even new owners that are in way over their head, they keep coming back for more because the times when you get it together are way off the scale on the fun meeter. I can't think of a boat being sold again in a year to get a new one because they don't break down that fast nor due to frustration of not learning how to deal with the boat. I expect the average time a boat will spend with an owner would be over five years before they are sold. It will take a long time to build up a used boat market like the Laser that everyone seems to compare these boats to. More of an apples to bananas comparison.

#310 Devoti One

Devoti One

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:10 AM

Hi from Valencia.

You can check all the latest info from the inaugural Magic Marine BetPro D-One Gold Cup in the official website www.devoti-one.com

Every afternoon we publish the news, results, photos and videos of the day's two fun and exciting races.

Posted Image

#311 out-standing-in-my-field

out-standing-in-my-field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:21 PM

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Some of the (really) big names in the Finn class that's for sure. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,,I hear their commentary is mixed---they like the hiking,,,are happy for the big colorful tissue that comes with each boat,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but find them -wayyyy- too fast!!! ;)

#312 Confused

Confused

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:45 PM

speaking of too fast....anybody have any info on top speeds hit on the velocitek

#313 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:10 AM

Interesting Phillipe Kahn video on the front page. What I found curious is that it did not seem to be as windy as the "windy reach" advertized. Having sailed out of SC on a 'windy northerly" its much bumpier and "whiter" than what the video shows. (See the Morgan Larson/TrevorB interview footage from 2007 )

that said, that also means that given the speed the boat was turning out (you can hear the two tone pitch of the blades) in fairly moderate air, it could be quite a bit of fun.

#314 avantgardaclue

avantgardaclue

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:49 AM

Glad to see that the D-one is now sporting shrouds in that video, always thought that there was going to be an enormous amount of stress on the free standing rig with the kite up. Very RS100

#315 rft

rft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

Glad to see that the D-one is now sporting shrouds in that video, always thought that there was going to be an enormous amount of stress on the free standing rig with the kite up. Very RS100

No shrouds on the D-One, were you looking at the 5o5 video?

I've owned a D-One for 6 months now and raced it through the winter. Great boat and looking forward to several years of competitive racing until I time out of dinghies at about 60. At 6'3" and 200lbs it definitely works for me.

#316 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

Reading through posts on here, and seeing the Olympics mentioned: its crazy why they dont include other classes like the Musto/RS700 and even the RS100 or a boa similar to this.

I dont wish to bash the Laser or any of the other classes; I keep missing the Olympic sailing...and really dont mind...I just find the older classes to be quite boring to watch. The Tornado Cat was worth watching...and the 49er puts up a good bit of entertainment. Isnt it about time there were other classes that the common man can identify with? such as, and apart from the Laser, the newer boats? The RS700 has been around for what....11 yrs or so, the Musto is a similar age. Sure many recreational sailors would class the solo skiffs as being out of thier league...if so, then why not introduce the RS100 or even the Devoti?

I havent tried the Devoti. but have met a young guy who had gotten into the class and was very keen to promote it. Looks a bit unfinished to me with its 'afterthought' wings...how does it compare to the RS100? I have sailed one of those, nice boat...but upwind was pants compared to my RS700...and me being spoilt by trapeze life :)

#317 TD Floater

TD Floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

Afterthought?
They actually look to work well.
As for the Olympic Classes......oh goodness, please there are plenty of threads.

#318 russyh

russyh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

After thought ?? The wings are frankly awesome! Well engineered and give you the righting moment to smoke a 100 upwind, however i found a 100 with the big rig quick in a proper drifter.

The D-one would offer the compromise between the 100 and the pace of your 700. Having said that it has less vices then the 700, which seems to all but died here in the uk

#319 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

not my experience Russy- in a real drifter I got completely smoked by RS300s in my 100.

I don't know how that'd compare with the D1- I guess neither are optimised for boring sailing!

#320 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

RS300 looks to be a handful, but then its a case of getting used to it if you have the inclination to a challenge. So the RS700 isnt so popular now? I am a bit out of touch on this...I have never got to an event in the UK.

What did intrigue me was the fact that 700 owners have been selling up to buy 100's. Having tried the 100 last year, I couldnt see why the 700 owners would want to do this...unless it was about sailing in fairly confined waters? I could see the reason for that, I based my 700 on a large pond for a couple of weeks or so...so as to get used to sailing her. I was tacking every few seconds;) good practice though.

Mind you, the 100 felt nice. Very comfy and great fun with the kite out. I might just have to get one in the future.

What do you sail now Jwlbrace? I remember you from a while ago...did you used to own a 100?

#321 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,677 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

So the RS700 isnt so popular now? I am a bit out of touch on this...I have never got to an event in the UK.

38 at the 2011 Nationals. Not entirely disgraceful. http://www.yachtsand...m/classes/?s=44

#322 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

Its a great boat is the 700, I wont ever get to race...mine is the only one in this part of the world (Falklands) its my most sailed boat of my little fleet:)

#323 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Mainly messing around on yachts and windsurfing, waiting to see what happens at our club regarding fleets for next year- there are a few options on the table and posting on this thread is not totally irrelevant.

700s seem active enough- for a niche boat.

The 100 sailors who formerly had 7s tend to be sailing in more confined waters and/or looking for slower/tactical racing.

#324 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

When I thought about my sailing future I considered the 100, but it was way out of my price range. I had gotten used to trapeze too:) it was with some deep thought that I chose the 700. The Musto skiff was a choice too, but seems to fetch quite a higher price on the used market...nice tough boat though. Got to sail one of these last year too...was over at Menorca sailing center:) was the only one that would take a Musto out, out of the clients there.

Got a session on the RS800, thats quite a beast...but nice and user friendly though. can see how it must be a blast in a breeze with a good crew.

Windsurfing looks fun, have learnt to Kitesurf now :) had to teach myself, what a challenge that was...but worth it though!

#325 russyh

russyh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

Absolutely right Jimbo, the 300 is a bit of a sub 1000 Py light wind bandit. At the Steve Nick this year we got smoked in the first race by the 100, but it was light and shite. Charlie Chandler beat him for line honours in the second race but not enough on PY. Since he has been club racing his D-one he has not lost to a 100, but it has been windy.

The 300 is just an awesome boat, i would own another (my 4th) but pride keeps me from buying another, that and of course the D-one. Which is frankly a fantastic boat.

This year is proving successful for the D-one fleet in the UK, its a slow but organic growth. I am just in the process of getting sign off to do the Gold Cup in Alassio, may ave to bin off Abersoch Dinghy week, but 4 days racing some of the best sailors in the world in my favourite boat (bar 505) is worth the trade!

#326 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

Yep you can always hit the 'soch again next year... make the most of sailing abroad if you can get it!

#327 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Absolutely right Jimbo, the 300 is a bit of a sub 1000 Py light wind bandit. At the Steve Nick this year we got smoked in the first race by the 100, but it was light and shite.

ahh, just seen who it was who creamed you... I wouldn't take it personally, he's fairly handy and well on the lighter side for a 10.2- he changed down to the 8.4 at Parkstone mid regatta as it was a little fresh!

#328 andyxs

andyxs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

Absolutely right Jimbo, the 300 is a bit of a sub 1000 Py light wind bandit. At the Steve Nick this year we got smoked in the first race by the 100, but it was light and shite. Charlie Chandler beat him for line honours in the second race but not enough on PY. Since he has been club racing his D-one he has not lost to a 100, but it has been windy.

The 300 is just an awesome boat, i would own another (my 4th) but pride keeps me from buying another, that and of course the D-one. Which is frankly a fantastic boat.

This year is proving successful for the D-one fleet in the UK, its a slow but organic growth. I am just in the process of getting sign off to do the Gold Cup in Alassio, may ave to bin off Abersoch Dinghy week, but 4 days racing some of the best sailors in the world in my favourite boat (bar 505) is worth the trade!

Yea but you wont drink nearly as much as at DW, though that may perhaps be a good thing being that the pubs in the soch are closing in on london prices!!!

#329 russyh

russyh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

You are not wrong and it's not just the pubs! Accommodation for the week is mental! Not including the entry ! Still the best place to sail from in the uk IMHO ! Lyme Regis close second just misses the beach

#330 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

Lyme Regis close second

i remember arriving at Lyme and looking at the gap between the harbour wall- the other side was a F3 small sea running, inside feck all glassy conditions.... I thought to myself how the F*ck am I going to get my MPS through there without damaging it... I went for it, nothing broke and I didn't crash... major confidence boost.

#331 andyxs

andyxs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

yea I guess the equivilant test in abersoch is when they set a big wind run through the moorings! sure stops you from tactical sailing!

#332 russyh

russyh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

I remember them doing that in one big wind day when there was a proper fast assy fleet (it's died in recent years) interesting in a 14!!

#333 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

They set that as a club course last year on a good breezy day, we had the Laser 3000, Laser 4000, and 29ers all screaming through the moorings with the pandora fleet trying to moor after their racing, pretty sure we gave a few of them a good scare cutting close to the mooring buoys.

What were we talking about?

#334 andyxs

andyxs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

i dont know but this is just as fun, can you imagine a D one /100 throught the moorings without asking a crew to take a peak under the jib kite etc

#335 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

I can imagine it, in fact, I recall a year I did safety boat at Dinghy Week and was in charge of the fast single handed boys, that included an RS700 who we watched do a leg through the edge of the moorings, I just sat and prayed that he knew exactly how hard he could push the boat (he was so far out front we didn't bother staying close to him, just made sure we didn't lose sight of him). Abersoch can create some interesting conditions, from blasting through the moorings to having to get out and almost carry your boat around a mark at low tide. Though they do try to keep the fleets out of the moorings and away from the beach as much as possible, too many ways things can go utterly wrong...

#336 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

Oh to sail amongst other sailboats...did get to do this last year in Menorca. Was out on a Musto Skiff...most times I was quite tactical with seeing where all the other boats were...only had one near miss :) I did have the forethought to attach a cam to the Mustos boom...so got a nice bit of footage to bring home:)

The 700 is a lovely boat, if you ever get the chance to try one out...do so. The Musto is a bit trickier in that its deck is that much higher above the waterline. I had to scrabble about at times..and skinned my shins a few times. Nice 'dialled in' feeling to the Musto once you get out on the wire.

#337 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

The 700 is a lovely boat, if you ever get the chance to try one out...do so. The Musto is a bit trickier in that its deck is that much higher above the waterline. I had to scrabble about at times..and skinned my shins a few times. Nice 'dialled in' feeling to the Musto once you get out on the wire.

Cuious what you mean by this? How does "height off the water have anything to do with your shins?

#338 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

Ah, let me explain:) I found the musto very tippy when hove to and lowering centerboard and rudder...I grazed my shins and calves quite badly just slipping about, trying to get a foothold on the deck. The 700's 'cockpit' or sole or whatever you call it, is far lower down...so when hove to and messing about lowering centerboard etc its much more stable. The worst grazing came about from the tube racks which were covered in that very effective but awful grippy stuff...not sure of its tradename. Used to have some on the 700 but got rid of it in favour of Progrip.

Other than that, the Musto is a fine boat. Would love one, but the cassette type rudder system would be a no no for where I Live....the shorelines are lined with Kelp, which would be a real menace when transiting from shore to deeper water, and vice versa. The pivoting rudder on the 700 is far far easier in that aspect.

Liked the mustos Mainsail, nice and tough; even the spinny seemed to be nice and strong. The 700's sails are a bit fragile

#339 barney

barney

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

I was looking at the videos of the recent Volvo cup and I'm curious, how fast are they going upwind?

sorry, I couldn't embed the video

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=h5K1WIVWiuI 

#340 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Not sure in that video, but I had a GPS on my RS100 when racing a D-One in F3, powered up conditions. I was clocking around 7 knots and he toasted me upwind. I made some of this up again on one of the downwind legs, but it wasn't through boat speed... he pissed it in!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users