• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 tantrum815

tantrum815

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:33 AM

Ok so not exacrly a sports boat question.
Are any of our OZ or NZ readers familiar with the Ross 830?
In photos it looks like a stretched 780. Does it have a bigger cockpit, a longer cabin or a bit of both?
Is it a bigger rig or is it just the 780 rig on a larger boat to make a cruisier version? A CBH rating of .81 indicates it is faster than the 780. Any comments would be appreciated.
Tantrum 815

Attached Files

#2 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Interests:Shattering illusions

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:49 AM

In photos it looks like a stretched 780. Does it have a bigger cockpit, a longer cabin or a bit of both?
Is it a bigger rig or is it just the 780 rig on a larger boat to make a cruisier version? A CBH rating of .81 indicates it is faster than the 780. Any comments would be appreciated.
Tantrum 815

OOh, shit, you're gonna wake the SBA gimp! Whatever you do, you don't want to wake the SBA gimp.
(Nice boats btw!)

#3 richiec

richiec

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:52 AM

Tantrum 815

Ross 830's are cool boats. You're right, they wouldn't fit into the sportsboat category really.

I knew the bloke who used to own the moulds and together with several builders, he punched about perhaps a dozen of them here in and around Sydney in the early to mid 1990's.

The molds got left outside (after bloke I knew got ill) - and were picked up by a fella up in Queensland, taken there restored and I think they've got a new one on the go now. It may already be floating.

I do believe the major change was to knock the transom out of the back of the cockpit, which would be great. And there was some talk of putting a mother of a retractable bow sprit onto the thing as well. Now THAT would start to make the Ross830 fit more into the sport yacht vein.

I recall that all of the Ross830's I sailed on were fantastic. One had a transom hung rudder set up and it was definitely faster. Might have something to do with the build as well - as skiff guru Paul Kulmar built the one I speak of. Used to have ding dong battles with the beefier Young 88's all over Pittwater back in the day. If you do a google on it, or even search this site, you might find the blokes in Queensland who are breathing new life into the design.

I wonder if you'd throw something like a Mumm30 carbon mast into it!?

#4 sea bogan

sea bogan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:01 AM

rosses are a great boat we have a 780 mk1 that i cut the transom out of and put a 400mm scoop on the back much better boat now that pic you posted looks like a sonata 8 not an 830 with the racked bow and tucked in stearn

#5 tantrum815

tantrum815

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:14 AM

rosses are a great boat we have a 780 mk1 that i cut the transom out of and put a 400mm scoop on the back much better boat now that pic you posted looks like a sonata 8 not an 830 with the racked bow and tucked in stearn

You are correct a bread and butter Sonata 8. At our club, we have an extended Ross 780 (about 3 feet) with a bigger rig, masthead kite and sometimes bowsprit for those spinnakers that I can't spell. Name of Rager (wasa)

#6 vego1049

vego1049

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:44 AM

You are correct a bread and butter Sonata 8. At our club, we have an extended Ross 780 (about 3 feet) with a bigger rig, masthead kite and sometimes bowsprit for those spinnakers that I can't spell. Name of Rager (wasa)

Had an Ross 830 for several years. Boat was modified with bigger keel bulb and deeper rudder. Was still somewhat tender...needed 6 big blokes planted on the rail to get it going uphill. It was a weapon when it was light. (adams 10 pace) Downhill in a blow also very quick. The previous owner (Edake from this site) won Aust JOG nationals in the same boat competing against Young 88's /Masram 920s etc. The same boat (see picture below) recently came back onto the market....$36K AUD

Attached File  0_2.jpg   9.86K   108 downloads

#7 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Interests:Shattering illusions

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:08 AM

Had an Ross 830 for several years. Boat was modified with bigger keel bulb and deeper rudder. Was still somewhat tender...needed 6 big blokes planted on the rail to get it going uphill. It was a weapon when it was light. (adams 10 pace) Downhill in a blow also very quick. The previous owner (Edake from this site) won Aust JOG nationals in the same boat competing against Young 88's /Masram 920s etc. The same boat (see picture below) recently came back onto the market....$36K AUD

Lookee here: http://dbyachts.boat...amp;TabID=94476

#8 jonsailor

jonsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, design, hot babes

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:21 AM

Huge side decks, great for hiking (not)
I modified one with extra stays and jumpers for top mast spin.
Not a bad boat in the day.
My mate had the first one in Mooloolaba Australia with a view to market more......didnt happen

#9 vego1049

vego1049

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:53 AM

Huge side decks, great for hiking (not)
I modified one with extra stays and jumpers for top mast spin.
Not a bad boat in the day.
My mate had the first one in Mooloolaba Australia with a view to market more......didnt happen

Our boat had runners. Was a pain in the arse when gybing but we could carry masthead chutes.....when it was light anyway! Also helped with headfoil tension.

#10 TwoHeadsAreBetterThanOne

TwoHeadsAreBetterThanOne

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:49 AM

Tantrum, hows the old Rager going??? The mods were done by a mate of mine. He sailed it so much he wore out 2 logs!!!

Two Heads
(former 780 mk 1 owner)

Oh, and by the way, I'll give you the usual greeting, Fuck Off Newbie :P

#11 sea bogan

sea bogan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

here is a pic of the 780 i modded

Attached Files

#12 richiec

richiec

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

surely the bloke in QLD who now has the moulds will surface and add to this thread. I found a HEAP of old photos of the Kulmar boat coming out of the factory and splashing in Pittwater, must have been around 97-98? (I may be out by a few years). New pics came to light in recent house move.

I corresponded with the QLD bloke who had taken delivery of the moulds and who had big plans less than 12 months ago, alas, I can't find any PM's or emails to/from him.

I reckon the hull design was always a ripper and I think it would be a bit of a weapon with reconfgured keel/bulb, rudder and and bow sprit. Definitely knock the transom out of it though.

The boats I always knew where bare bones on the inside and it surprises me to see them fit out with lots of gear downstairs. They are super boats for the price I reckon. But stress again, not sports boats - at a stretch 'sports yachts'.

#13 tantrum815

tantrum815

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

The boat I am interested in is a Kumar built boat with a transom hung rudder. Sounds like the the boat you sailed on. This one has a lift centreboard which suits the area I sail (Gippsland Lakes) rather than the fixed keel one in your attachment

#14 tantrum815

tantrum815

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

Tantrum 815

Ross 830's are cool boats. You're right, they wouldn't fit into the sportsboat category really.

I knew the bloke who used to own the moulds and together with several builders, he punched about perhaps a dozen of them here in and around Sydney in the early to mid 1990's.

The molds got left outside (after bloke I knew got ill) - and were picked up by a fella up in Queensland, taken there restored and I think they've got a new one on the go now. It may already be floating.

I do believe the major change was to knock the transom out of the back of the cockpit, which would be great. And there was some talk of putting a mother of a retractable bow sprit onto the thing as well. Now THAT would start to make the Ross830 fit more into the sport yacht vein.

I recall that all of the Ross830's I sailed on were fantastic. One had a transom hung rudder set up and it was definitely faster. Might have something to do with the build as well - as skiff guru Paul Kulmar built the one I speak of. Used to have ding dong battles with the beefier Young 88's all over Pittwater back in the day. If you do a google on it, or even search this site, you might find the blokes in Queensland who are breathing new life into the design.

The one I am interested in is Kumar built and has a transom hung rudder. Sounds like the one you raced against. This one has a lift centreboard which appeals as I sail on the Gippsland Lakes where the top is often close to the bottom. I am off next week to Pittwater for a bo peep

#15 richiec

richiec

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:26 PM

Tantrum 815

The one I am interested in is Kumar built and has a transom hung rudder. Sounds like the one you raced against. This one has a lift centreboard which appeals as I sail on the Gippsland Lakes where the top is often close to the bottom. I am off next week to Pittwater for a bo peep

If it has a maroon/red coloured stripe around the topsides, it'll be the very same one. A LOT of love went into the build of that thing and it was much faster than the previous build, right out of the box. I think this was the last one Kulmar built in Brookvale. After that I think a guy on Lake Macquarie took over the moulds and subsequent builds. If it is the same boat, and you want all the old photos (should you buy it) - let me know.

#16 BossRoss

BossRoss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:sailing yacht design, boatbuilding, scuba diving,drinking boubon and did I mention sailing

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:21 AM

surely the bloke in QLD who now has the moulds will surface and add to this thread. I found a HEAP of old photos of the Kulmar boat coming out of the factory and splashing in Pittwater, must have been around 97-98? (I may be out by a few years). New pics came to light in recent house move.

I corresponded with the QLD bloke who had taken delivery of the moulds and who had big plans less than 12 months ago, alas, I can't find any PM's or emails to/from him.

I reckon the hull design was always a ripper and I think it would be a bit of a weapon with reconfgured keel/bulb, rudder and and bow sprit. Definitely knock the transom out of it though.

The boats I always knew where bare bones on the inside and it surprises me to see them fit out with lots of gear downstairs. They are super boats for the price I reckon. But stress again, not sports boats - at a stretch 'sports yachts'.

Ok ,OK! Guilty.. I have the moulds.
Just found the thread , havent been on the forum for a fair while.
We got swamped with other industrial glass work in the last 12 months and now the wheels have fallen off trhe economy.
We were just tossing up wether to "can" the project and sell the whole project moulds and all or dust it off and finish the boat we have in the mould.
still havent decided , but workflow will dictate as boats by nature can only be a labour of love as there aint no steady money in the business.
I suspended the website , as I was getting too many enquiries and we didnt have time to progress the project.
Will read the rest of these threads and make a decision in next couple of weeks and announce it on the forum
Boss Ross

#17 Phil

Phil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

My uncle has one on the Gold Coast, I've often thought of late of 'nicking it' to do one of the races up there.

Comfortable enough. Only hounds kites though, the mast is as skinny as above.

#18 SPORTSCAR

SPORTSCAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts
  • Interests:sailing (duh!)

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:48 AM

Tantrum 815

The one I am interested in is Kulmar built and has a transom hung rudder. Sounds like the one you raced against. This one has a lift centreboard which appeals as I sail on the Gippsland Lakes where the top is often close to the bottom. I am off next week to Pittwater for a bo peep

Rumours abound of a done deal. Congrats!

#19 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:55 AM

Ross 830's and 780's have historically done very well in the HCW 24-hour over the years. Great boats for what they are.

#20 rastus

rastus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:12 PM

Ross 830's and 780's have historically done very well in the HCW 24-hour over the years. Great boats for what they are.

Great little boats when sailed well can beat most things of simmilar size and age. have sailed one in a blow and found it very easy to control when the young 88's are chinesing and broaching all over the place. there are 3 here 1 standard with lifting keel the other 2 have various mods 1 has a beefier mast with masthead kites and mine has jumpers and masthead kites and bowsprit for fractional asso. I'm still not sure that mods are better than stock
I think that the cabin is the same as the 780 but the cockpit is bigger

#21 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:23 AM

Great little boats when sailed well can beat most things of simmilar size and age.

maybe most things ... except the inhabitants of this form (who race Sportsboats)

#22 Rolls Ross

Rolls Ross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:Sport!! Camping and time with family.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

Great little boats when sailed well can beat most things of simmilar size and age.

maybe most things ... except the inhabitants of this form (who race Sportsboats)

:) been wondering how long they get away with this. the "wrath" of GS has arrived.

#23 richiec

richiec

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:33 AM

:) been wondering how long they get away with this. the "wrath" of GS has arrived.

If you knew what these blokes had planned for this boat (mega bow sprit, open transom, rig upgrade, the 'turbo Ross830' is not far off being a fully fledged sports 'yacht' at the very least.

#24 Edake

Edake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

Tantrum 815

If it has a maroon/red coloured stripe around the topsides, it'll be the very same one. A LOT of love went into the build of that thing and it was much faster than the previous build, right out of the box. I think this was the last one Kulmar built in Brookvale. After that I think a guy on Lake Macquarie took over the moulds and subsequent builds. If it is the same boat, and you want all the old photos (should you buy it) - let me know.

Maybe I should add something to this thread. Fujifilm did not have a transom hung rudder. This way it had less caivitation when heeling which they will do upwind. The boat was not built by Paul Kulmar but he helped me a lot to fix the problems. We added 80kgs to the bulb to get it above the orginal bulb weight design by Murray. He and I had a lot of discussions. I designed a bigger rudder with a carbon/stainless shaft to give added directional stability and control. The stern kicked out a lot. This boat was never ever beaten by any other Ross 830's including Preditor which was set up with a transom hung rudder. I can recall doing above 16 knots dowind from Sydney to Pittwater in a JOG race and passing the Mount Gays. They are awesome downhill and plane like a Mumm 30. Just do not turn the corner and go back uphill unless you have enough crew to keep it flat.

#25 tantrum815

tantrum815

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

I have finally taken delivery of "Fast Forward" recently from Pittwater but from Qland before that. Fast Forward has a transom hung rudder and lift bulb centreboard that weighed in at 400K . The rig has been converted from single spreader to twin with a third set supporting the top, for the masthead kite. Were mastheads original specs?
H ow does that stackup against original specs. I have not been able to find any info on the 830's whatsoever.

Any info would be appreciated.

By the way Edake what's the alternative to turning the corner to go uphill?
brian

#26 richiec

richiec

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:20 AM

I have finally taken delivery of "Fast Forward" recently from Pittwater but from Qland before that. Fast Forward has a transom hung rudder and lift bulb centreboard that weighed in at 400K . The rig has been converted from single spreader to twin with a third set supporting the top, for the masthead kite. Were mastheads original specs?
H ow does that stackup against original specs. I have not been able to find any info on the 830's whatsoever.

brian

I don't recall either of the two I sailed on (Venom) and the last Kulmar built boat, as being able to fly MH kites. You may be able to track down the Avalon local, who built a string of them in the 80's and 90's - via various builders and ask him for clues. PM me and I can try to find a phone number or point you in the right direction to contact him.

#27 podrick

podrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:23 AM

brian

The Fast Forward I know from Qld was a Young 780.

#28 BossRoss

BossRoss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:sailing yacht design, boatbuilding, scuba diving,drinking boubon and did I mention sailing

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:35 AM

Bugger! The news is the Ross 830 project after lots of sweat, toil and cursing is being sold/ My loss someones gain!
http://cgi.ebay.com....E:L:LCA:AU:1123

#29 Magilla Gorilla

Magilla Gorilla

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

here is a pic of the 780 i modded

Is yours one of the first Aus built boats Bogan???

#30 sea bogan

sea bogan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

yeah built by brian austain in 1988 at austain ross was called aussie ross back then but my parents have owned it for 20 years

#31 Magilla Gorilla

Magilla Gorilla

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:40 AM

Brian bought his first boat off a family friend and the first Ross I sailed on. He liked the boat so much, he bought the moulds...

#32 sea bogan

sea bogan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

it has been a awesome boat well built, we broke the keel clean off at the hull in dent passage in 89 hamo no damage to the hull at all

#33 Magilla Gorilla

Magilla Gorilla

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

Jeezus.....

They were pretty reasonably well built!

#34 nuffy

nuffy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:fun things

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

Brian also built 'JAZZ' Ross 650 which was then named 'ODDS ON'. We added weight to centre board to total 259 kg. it only had 180 kg in keel when my old man bought it. We usually only had two up so it would not sit down upwind with original weight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users