#1 mezaire

mezaire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

OK, flame away but.....

I might have the chance to pick up an Etchells VERY cheap. It's been sitting out in the weather for years and has a delaminating rear deck around the traveller but the hull is sound. I work in a chandlery/rigging shop so getting stuff to do the job is no hassle and I might also have somewhere to keep it for free as well.

So my thoughts were this.....

- Cut the deck off totally, leaving a small flange around the edge, maybe a leave most of the foredeck in place.
- Build a new deck out of ply or mould a glass one that would have a cabin that would come back about 4-5 feet behind the mast and give about 4 1/2 feet of headroom.
- Move the cockpit well aft and using a linkage system move the tiller well aft.
- Put a fully sealed cockpit in with a auotmatic bilge pump in a sump to pump it out when needed.
- Strengthen the cabin enough to deck step the mast with a hinge to get under the bridges that block the bridges here
- Put some longer swept back spreaders on with chainplates on the gunnels, strengthen around the new chainplates.
- Inside there would be enough room for a nice double berth fwd of where the old mast mount was, a portapotti and a shelf for a portable gas cooker.
- Transom mounted outboard.
- Raise the mast a foot to give room under the boom.

Would use it for twilighting here and maybe a bit of slightly more serious weekend racing aswell as cruise with the GF, hence the interior Could also fly an assy of the bow as it extends past the forestay enough. From what I can see a standard Etchells would rate about 0.960 on IRC so might go OK!!

Questions;
- Would I be moving to much weight aft? Remembering that I would also be adding some weight fwd with the interior.
- Would the standard rudder be OK or should I build a bigger one and move it aft?

I know it sounds like a big job but I have been thinking about building a boat for the same purposes so this makes sense for that reason
Yes there is OD racing here but it would probably cost a heap anyway to get this boat back to some sort of competitive OD state and even then it would be at the back of the fleet and it's still only a racing boat!!

Anyway, thoughts???

Mez

#2 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,378 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

would it be worth it to you?

if you want to build a boat.. start from scratch and build what you want. dont let an old hull form dictate so much of your boat

my .02

#3 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

Spend the same money on a used boat that fits your needs without 1,000 hours of work.

Donate the Etchells' vital organs (if its really that bad).

#4 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

PM me on FD

#5 mezaire

mezaire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

Spend the same money on a used boat that fits your needs without 1,000 hours of work.

Donate the Etchells' vital organs (if its really that bad).

I know what your saying but I don't have the $$$ to spend on a boat upfront and there ain't that many hull shapes as nice as the Ethcells!!!

Where as I have the time and also can get the bits to do the job very cheap aswell through work.

#6 Dino

Dino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

I read in Seahorse that there are a few of these done already. I did a quick google and found this http://www.boatpoint....aspx?R=2915559
I think a few IOD's have been converted to cruisers too.

I did a quick search on SA and found this http://www.sailingan...ledge._2005.htm
Scroll down to see an interesting conversion.

Dino

#7 MacGregor_Lover

MacGregor_Lover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

There is a guy in Milford CT. who did very much the same thing. I believe he even sailed the boat to Bermuda. I am not sure of the details I just remember seeing it there a couple of years ago. Someone around here may know more about that. What he did with it was very cool. I would think it is not worth it.

#8 Right Coast

Right Coast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

The Etchells is a great boat, but it's a heavy, low-freeboard boat. I'm not sure that adding more weight to the boat is what you want to do.

#9 John C

John C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

There was a nice article in Sailing Mag last year about a guy who turned an old Etchells into a very nice daysailer.

#10 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

There was a nice article in Sailing Mag last year about a guy who turned an old Etchells into a very nice daysailer.

Factually speaking... isn't the Etchells already a daysailer?

Don't answer.

I'm gone.

#11 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:28 PM

There is a pretty conversion sailing around Sydney harbour with a well mounted donk, teak veneer decks & a bull nose splash guard & self tacking jib. The owner always looks happy .. a good sign with most boats, especially as i see as so many get carried away with being misrable comming worse than 3rd in a race & being somewhere between suicidal or ready to attack anything within 5 meters of their grimmacing expression :)

#12 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

Many years ago a friend of mine modified an old Soling into a daysailer/coastal cruiser. It served him well for many seasons until he sold it.

Go for it. You could purchase a more appropriate inexpensive boat but it would never approach the pure sailing ability of the E22 hull. Have fun and give some new life to an old hull.

#13 Angus T.

Angus T.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

OK, flame away but.....

I might have the chance to pick up an Etchells VERY cheap. It's been sitting out in the weather for years and has a delaminating rear deck around the traveller but the hull is sound. I work in a chandlery/rigging shop so getting stuff to do the job is no hassle and I might also have somewhere to keep it for free as well.

- Cut the deck off totally, leaving a small flange around the edge, maybe a leave most of the foredeck in place.
- Build a new deck out of ply or mould a glass one that would have a cabin that would come back about 4-5 feet behind the mast and give about 4 1/2 feet of headroom.
- Move the cockpit well aft and using a linkage system move the tiller well aft.
- Put a fully sealed cockpit in with a auotmatic bilge pump in a sump to pump it out when needed.
- Strengthen the cabin enough to deck step the mast with a hinge to get under the bridges that block the bridges here
- Put some longer swept back spreaders on with chainplates on the gunnels, strengthen around the new chainplates.
- Inside there would be enough room for a nice double berth fwd of where the old mast mount was, a portapotti and a shelf for a portable gas cooker.

Would use it for twilighting here and maybe a bit of slightly more serious weekend racing aswell as cruise with the GF, hence the interior Could also fly an assy of the bow as it extends past the forestay enough. From what I can see a standard Etchells would rate about 0.960 on IRC so might go OK!!

Questions;
- Would I be moving to much weight aft? Remembering that I would also be adding some weight fwd with the interior.
- Would the standard rudder be OK or should I build a bigger one and move it aft?

I know it sounds like a big job but I have been thinking about building a boat for the same purposes so this makes sense for that reason
Yes there is OD racing here but it would probably cost a heap anyway to get this boat back to some sort of competitive OD state and even then it would be at the back of the fleet and it's still only a racing boat!!

Anyway, thoughts???

Mez

You must have lost your effen mind.

#14 Rusty

Rusty

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

We sold our old (and I do mean old) Etchells and it ended up in the hands of a fellow member who converted into a beautiful day sailor which, if I'm not mistaken, is now residing up the Muskokas (lake country in central Ontario). He did a great job but I don't believe he did nearly the amount of work you are describing. Skip the cabin and significant layout changes and concentrate on making the boat more comfortable. Teak benches, a built-in cooler, furling jib, small outboard, etc.

He painted a nice flag blue with a red boot stripe to really drive home the day sailor look and bingo - a proper gentleman's yacht.

Just my $0.02 (Cdn)

Good luck with it - remember, you're starting with a boat that already has great sailing characteristics. I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to make drastic changes.

#15 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

Cup holders, make sure it has cup holders. Oh, and a cranking stereo, that's important.

#16 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,615 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

There is a guy in Milford CT. who did very much the same thing. I believe he even sailed the boat to Bermuda.

Thisis crazy!

#17 Angus T.

Angus T.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

Cup holders, make sure it has cup holders. Oh, and a cranking stereo, that's important.

be sure it has one of these: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ

#18 Capt John

Capt John

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

283 free boats

#19 Angus T.

Angus T.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:28 PM

OK, flame away but.....

Questions;

Anyway, thoughts???

Mez

Don't turn a silk purse into a sow's ear

For thirty years the Etchells class has enjoyed solid and steady growth with over fifty active fleets worldwide. Etchells sailors are enthusiastic and loyal supporters of their boat and class association. The Etchells is a big, fast, simple, stable, and sleek racing sloop that can be sailed competitively and in comfort by three or four average sailors. It can tack in 70 degrees and has a low wetted surface hull form that keeps moving in the slightest breeze. In 20+ knots it absolutely flies. The strict one-design principle of the class was established from the outset and is controlled by a strong, established and well-administered class association. Control of construction by the class association and the ISAF ensures quality and uniformity. It's trailerable, easy to maintain and light enough to dry sail; and Etchells hold exceptional resale value.

#20 wildangels

wildangels

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:28 PM

If you enjoy fiberlass dust and toxic fumes then go for it, if you wanna spend the summer sailing find a boat or a partnership and sheet it in and GO!

#21 Slowboat

Slowboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

You can see all about the amazing conversion of a Shield's into a very nice daysailer at: http://www.lackeysai...lero/bolero.htm
From this:
Posted Image

To this:
Posted Image

#22 hyderally

hyderally

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Star, 210, Laser 28 (gone), Hobie 33, Int Fourteen (many years but no more)

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

I think it's an excellent idea and the Etchells hull is a great form for what you want to do.
I was thinking along the same lines 2 years ago and had found a free 5.5 meter, Columbia Sabre hull that I was going to de-cabin and redeck to do exactly what you are planning. The 32' Sabre has a bit more room and a more weight tolerant hull. Solid glass, like the Etchells and basically a nice platform (still available if you wanted it). Avoids the rather flat, full "Universal Rule" forward sections and heavy stern of the Etchells (sorry - my opinion). Below is a picture of my candidate hull. A sad, sunken wreck with lots of possibilities (divorce, overexpenditures, failure).
Luckily, an already made boat reappeared in time to save me from an interesting but probably ill fated project. The BB 10 meter also pictured is essentially like an expanded Soling with an excellent cruising cabin (for good friends). It sails very well and I'm completely happy with it.
It's projects like this that make the Winters fly by!
Have fun and don't be bothered by those who don't get it.

OK, flame away but.....

Questions;

Anyway, thoughts???

Mez

Attached Files

#23 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

OK, flame away but.....

Questions;

Anyway, thoughts???

Mez

Don't turn a silk purse into a sow's ear

For thirty years the Etchells class has enjoyed solid and steady growth with over fifty active fleets worldwide. Etchells sailors are enthusiastic and loyal supporters of their boat and class association. The Etchells is a big, fast, simple, stable, and sleek racing sloop that can be sailed competitively and in comfort by three or four average sailors. It can tack in 70 degrees and has a low wetted surface hull form that keeps moving in the slightest breeze. In 20+ knots it absolutely flies. The strict one-design principle of the class was established from the outset and is controlled by a strong, established and well-administered class association. Control of construction by the class association and the ISAF ensures quality and uniformity. It's trailerable, easy to maintain and light enough to dry sail; and Etchells hold exceptional resale value.

Lighten up mate, its a thousand dollar shitter he wants to make something off to have some fun. I think you have been wearing your hiking shorts around the house a bit too much. :P

#24 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

be sure it has one of these: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ

I haven't laughed that hard in so long, fucking piece of shit :lol:

#25 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

OK, flame away but.....

Questions;

Anyway, thoughts???

Mez

IMHO, she may be a bit heavy aft, and conversely the outboard may come out of the water too much in chop; maybe a well would be the answer?

Dunno if the spreaders need altering. I use a deck-stepped Etchells mast on my 2000kg 28 footer and it's not a great drama. My mast was cut off below deck level so the boom sits maybe 6-8" higher above the deck level than in the Etchells. It does have runners and now has double spreaders, but I'm running a big genoa on a heavier boat and racing offshore. In the lighter, skinnier Etchells you'd probably get away without runners (as mine does when someone makes a mistake!). A set of tiny stays going to the gooseneck seems to make up for the lack of support at the deck. The mast support structure is simply an 18" wide pad to spread the load into the cabin (sides about 16mm, roof about 12mm) and a mast support post to relay compression to the bilge.

I also tore off a skeg-hung rudder and put in a spade, like you're thinking of doing. No real drama.

I used to sail the original Soling conversion. It features about 4" extra freeboard, outboard well and a little cabin top. The rig stayed the same (IIRC) with the addition of a genoa and runners. It's a very nice little boat and won the JOG nationals when new. Pretty small inside though!

#26 Jackovator

Jackovator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:19 PM

There is a pretty conversion sailing around Sydney harbour with a well mounted donk, teak veneer decks & a bull nose splash guard & self tacking jib. The owner always looks happy .. a good sign with most boats, especially as i see as so many get carried away with being misrable comming worse than 3rd in a race & being somewhere between suicidal or ready to attack anything within 5 meters of their grimmacing expression :)

That's what I would do if I were MEZ - open the cockpit up a bit, add some cushions for the chicks, teak floor, esky, stereo...nice timber decks (mez your chandlery shop deals WEST System right?) I even got some Etchells sails kicking around you can come collect from the loft (last years model are so yesterday in Etchells) before we turf them - even shorten the luff (move gooseneck up a bit in your spar shop) and leech a bit so Barbie doesn't bump her head. Plenty of TA's suggested cup holders. Perfect!

#27 wanchaibelle

wanchaibelle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:07 AM

Don't have much input on the conversion side, but a few years ago I got an IRC (D) handicap (the "D" is for "Dayboat, as it doesn't have guardrails or a self-draining cockpit, I believe) for my plain vanilla Etchells. It was 0.943, and I believe nowadays it would be more like about 0.926. On 0.943 we were pretty much unbeatable.
I did also see a converted Etchells outside David Heritage's yard in Cowes last summer, he might be worth a check - www.davidheritage.co.uk.
Interestingly enough, Borge Borresen designed a boat many years ago which is almost exactly an Etchells with a coachroof and a cabin, and it won overall IRC at Skandia Geelong Week earlier this year, off a rating of 0.928 - http://www.geelongwe...mage.asp?ID=970 - and the class website photo gallery is at http://www.bb10m.dk/fotogalleri-e.html.
My only major recommendation would be to definitely get a 43sqm a-sail for anything under 10 knots, running or reaching, and put a new external kite halyard on the mast about 60% of the way up between the existing kite halyard and the tip of the mast. We have done the same on our quarter-tonner and the rig hasn;t broken, even tight reaching in about 10 knots...
Cheers

#28 mezaire

mezaire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:17 AM

Don't have much input on the conversion side, but a few years ago I got an IRC (D) handicap (the "D" is for "Dayboat, as it doesn't have guardrails or a self-draining cockpit, I believe) for my plain vanilla Etchells. It was 0.943, and I believe nowadays it would be more like about 0.926. On 0.943 we were pretty much unbeatable.
I did also see a converted Etchells outside David Heritage's yard in Cowes last summer, he might be worth a check - www.davidheritage.co.uk.
Interestingly enough, Borge Borresen designed a boat many years ago which is almost exactly an Etchells with a coachroof and a cabin, and it won overall IRC at Skandia Geelong Week earlier this year, off a rating of 0.928 - http://www.geelongwe...mage.asp?ID=970 - and the class website photo gallery is at http://www.bb10m.dk/fotogalleri-e.html.
My only major recommendation would be to definitely get a 43sqm a-sail for anything under 10 knots, running or reaching, and put a new external kite halyard on the mast about 60% of the way up between the existing kite halyard and the tip of the mast. We have done the same on our quarter-tonner and the rig hasn;t broken, even tight reaching in about 10 knots...
Cheers

Great link to the pic at Geelong. A bit fancier rig wise than I was thinking but by the looks of it this boat has the cockpit extended aft.

Thanks for the links :)

#29 SPORTSCAR

SPORTSCAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
  • Interests:sailing (duh!)

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:34 AM

Many years ago a friend of mine modified an old Soling into a daysailer/coastal cruiser. It served him well for many seasons until he sold it.

Go for it. You could purchase a more appropriate inexpensive boat but it would never approach the pure sailing ability of the E22 hull. Have fun and give some new life to an old hull.

A number of Solings were converted for JOG racing here in Australia with a complete new deck moulding and a miniscule cabin trunk, the most successful being Longshot that won a JOG Nationals sailed out of Mooloolaba. A similar treatment was given to an Etchells (Hilweh 111)and that won a VIC JOG title too.The Etchell mod only involved fitting a self draining cockpit floor, a bulkhead enabling the cabin to be closed and some rudimentary pipe cots. IIRC they were all done in the late 70s & early 80s. Minamalist interiors in both conversions didn't make for comfortable accommodation but they were still quick in the JOG fleets of the time. There is still a converted Soling on a swing mooring near Sandringham YC bit I haven't seen the JOG modified Etchell for a very long time.

There was another Black modified Etchells around here more recently glorying in the name "Elvis Has Left The Building" but I don't know the extent of the mods on that one.

Sounds like a fun project Mez.What have you got to lose? Ignore the Anarchy naysayers and just do it!

#30 mezaire

mezaire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:37 AM

A number of Solings were converted for JOG racing here in Australia with a complete new deck moulding and a miniscule cabin trunk, the most successful being Longshot that won a JOG Nationals sailed out of Mooloolaba. A similar treatment was given to an Etchells (Hilweh 111)and that won a VIC JOG title too.The Etchell mod only involved fitting a self draining cockpit floor, a bulkhead enabling the cabin to be closed and some rudimentary pipe cots. IIRC they were all done in the late 70s & early 80s. Minamalist interiors in both conversions didn't make for comfortable accommodation but they were still quick in the JOG fleets of the time. There is still a converted Soling on a swing mooring near Sandringham YC bit I haven't seen the JOG modified Etchell for a very long time.

There was another Black modified Etchells around here more recently glorying in the name "Elvis Has Left The Building" but I don't know the extent of the mods on that one.

Sounds like a fun project Mez.What have you got to lose? Ignore the Anarchy naysayers and just do it!

Thanks for the kind words!!

I think tha only reason there a plenty of convertes solings around and not E22's is simply the size and strength of the racing fleet in E22's has kept the 2nd hand price fairly strong.

#31 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:44 AM

Thanks for the kind words!!

I think tha only reason there a plenty of convertes solings around and not E22's is simply the size and strength of the racing fleet in E22's has kept the 2nd hand price fairly strong.

mez...plenty of old cheap eggies about....they do get a bit soft though. Contact Phil Smidmore for info on the daysailers he converted. Don't know if you want to go to all those lengths...teak decks and plush fitouts but they look fantastic and sail very nicely. The ones I've seen on the harbour and there are quite a few...nobody ever seems to be doing more than sipping a cocktail and the boat keeps sliding along.

Pacesetter Etchells PTY
11 Mitala Street
Newport NSW 2106 AUSTRALIA
Ph: +61 2 9999 1250

#32 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

I think it's an excellent idea and the Etchells hull is a great form for what you want to do.
I was thinking along the same lines 2 years ago and had found a free 5.5 meter, Columbia Sabre hull that I was going to de-cabin and redeck to do exactly what you are planning. The 32' Sabre has a bit more room and a more weight tolerant hull. Solid glass, like the Etchells and basically a nice platform (still available if you wanted it). Avoids the rather flat, full "Universal Rule" forward sections and heavy stern of the Etchells (sorry - my opinion). Below is a picture of my candidate hull. A sad, sunken wreck with lots of possibilities (divorce, overexpenditures, failure).
Luckily, an already made boat reappeared in time to save me from an interesting but probably ill fated project. The BB 10 meter also pictured is essentially like an expanded Soling with an excellent cruising cabin (for good friends). It sails very well and I'm completely happy with it.
It's projects like this that make the Winters fly by!
Have fun and don't be bothered by those who don't get it.

You used to have an IOD - wouldn't that be a good candidate?

#33 Jackovator

Jackovator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:17 AM

recently sailed with a customer on his Tonifou 9.5 http://www.charles-w...e/tofinou9.html ...very expensive, very nice

use for a bit of inspiration Mez!

Attached File  3.jpg   38.07K   49 downloads

#34 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

Saw that out the other weekend, always wondered if one would make it here, very nice indeed.

#35 glug

glug

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:57 AM

This thread makes me feel sick. Don't kill a perfectly good etchells, which could go to a one design sailor who doesn't have the coin but wants to sail in the class. Instead buy a soling or something where there is no market for them.

#36 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:01 AM

This thread makes me feel sick. Don't kill a perfectly good etchells, which could go to a one design sailor who doesn't have the coin but wants to sail in the class. Instead buy a soling or something where there is no market for them.

yer seeing it the wrong way gluggie....it isn't killing one...it is resuscitating one.

The old early Pamcrafts and earlier are softer than the Ed's stomach on a lumpy day...of absolutely no use for racing as they very quickly turn anyone trying to do so into a last placer...and thats no fun. Be lucky to get 25's on the caps and then there is the nasty twisting and walking in waves.

#37 mezaire

mezaire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:12 AM

Yeah I know what your saying but this one is WELL past being any part of a competitive OD fleet. You would have to spend atleast $5,000 and still be well and truly at the back of the fleet.

I could spend less than that converting it and have a great multi purpose boat.

#38 Jackovator

Jackovator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:35 AM

guess that takes you off the re-launching pissup then eh?!

Mez - when you gonna break it to him that the old flying fifteen is going out front of the shop as a flower bed?

#39 glug

glug

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:00 AM

from the other thread running on this in Freodoctor:

Sorry Mez. Ive tried but I can't get my head around cruising a super wet, narrow width eggshell. I will, however come out on your finished product with a carton under my arm to be convinced otherwise.

#40 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:45 AM

yer seeing it the wrong way gluggie....it isn't killing one...it is resuscitating one.

The old early Pamcrafts and earlier are softer than the Ed's stomach on a lumpy day...of absolutely no use for racing as they very quickly turn anyone trying to do so into a last placer...and thats no fun. Be lucky to get 25's on the caps and then there is the nasty twisting and walking in waves.

Thank you, +1.

Glug, sometimes it IS just about the fun.

#41 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

guess that takes you off the re-launching pissup then eh?!

Mez - when you gonna break it to him that the old flying fifteen is going out front of the shop as a flower bed?

Hey, no way!

Converting an Etchells is one thing - killing a Flying 15 is another! :( I wish we had a fleet here in Sydney.

If you really want a keelboat turned into mini-cruiser, convert the 15! It'd be about as big as Sopranino, the original JOG boat and a trans-atlantic veteran. :P

#42 Phoenix

Phoenix

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

I think it's a very interesting project. I would be careful about adding too much weight aft though. It's a long lever arm and not a ton of reserve bouyancy. I'd be tempted to make the cockpit a little more comfy and raise the cuddy a bit for a bigger splash guard. there's a ton of volume in the bow if you rework all the shit that's happening up there. Leave a structure where the bow bulkhead is located and make another structure where the new ring frame is located. Widen the cockpit to get a bit more structure in there and raise the cockpit floor to a more comfortable height for those of us who are inseam challenged.

Be careful about the deck stepping, there's not a ton going on for structure in the cuddy.

#43 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

Hilweh III came to Sydney years ago and won the JOG states. It then had a new bow fitted rather roughly (to go through chop better) and rumour was it was sold for a song by the boatyard that put the new bow on because the owner got hit hard two recessions ago and couldn't pay the bill. It then got picked up by a syndicate including an anarchist, I believe.

It was out a few months ago on the Harbour but normally sits on a mooring on Middle Harbour.

Phoenix I think the deck-stepping will go on a new cabin, not the cuddy.

#44 SPORTSCAR

SPORTSCAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
  • Interests:sailing (duh!)

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hilweh III came to Sydney years ago and won the JOG states. It then had a new bow fitted rather roughly (to go through chop better) and rumour was it was sold for a song by the boatyard that put the new bow on because the owner got hit hard two recessions ago and couldn't pay the bill. It then got picked up by a syndicate including an anarchist, I believe.

It was out a few months ago on the Harbour but normally sits on a mooring on Middle Harbour.

Phoenix I think the deck-stepping will go on a new cabin, not the cuddy.

Let me get this straight - Hilweh 111 had a new bow put on it to go throught the chop better after moving from Melbourne where it sailed on Port Phillip to Sydney where it sailed on the harbour. Brilliant work that! :lol:

#45 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

Not quite!

When she moved here, JOG was still doing well and so it was offshore racing in the feelthy chop off Sydney that was the emphasis. I think they felt that the standard bow didn't go through the slop offshore from Sydney when it was light. In Melbourne, you normally get flat water when it's light don'cha? As you know, we tend to get the slop all the time.

As it turned out, with the owner's problems (IIRC) the boat didn't race offshore (much, maybe at all) after the new snout went on. I prefer the original version, which was a lot prettier.

#46 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:32 PM

You can see all about the amazing conversion of a Shield's into a very nice daysailer at: http://www.lackeysai...lero/bolero.htm
From this:
Posted Image

To this:
Posted Image

Damn that is pretty. Someone out there should be very proud of a job well done.

#47 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

Surprised the braintrust didn't send this link along by now, but there is a guy in Germany (I think he's in Germany) who converted a soling into a cruising boat complete with bowsprit and cutter rig. Eventually he attached two tornado hulls to the sides and made a cruising tri....out of all olympic classes no less. Obviously he took the conversion to the extreme, but it shows what can be done when you are not constrained by naysayers or fear of failure. Check it out:

http://members.aon.a...Fotogalerie.htm

#48 Dino

Dino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

Now that's what you call "sweating the asset". A great example of recycling...

And his bird is fairly hot too..

#49 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

"Longshot" still lives, and is alive and well up here on Lake.

The Wylie Old fox who owns the boat, sold it - bought it back, sold it again - then bought it back again and as far as I know still owns it..

He used to sail the boat single handed and clean up in Div 2. Not really fair racing though up against Spacesailer 24's and Bonbridge 27's.

#50 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

Wasn't there a guy in Sydney converting old Etchells with teak decks, diesel etc ? Not Smidmore. His boats were racing at Drummoyne or Balmain or something.

Anyone know ?

#51 MacGregor_Lover

MacGregor_Lover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:57 PM

From this:
Posted Image

To this:
Posted Image

+1 Seems that she has a little tast of the Moore Day Sailer but costs less than a million bucks.

#52 Slowboat

Slowboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

One more, cause they did such a good job. You could do it with much less work if you didn't need the small cabin and just wanted an open boat.

Posted Image

#53 MacGregor_Lover

MacGregor_Lover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:28 PM

One more, cause they did such a good job. You could do it with much less work if you didn't need the small cabin and just wanted an open boat.

Posted Image

Was this job done professionally or did the owner do it himself? Either way it is first class job. Just wondering what kind of coin was really put into it.

#54 mezaire

mezaire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

Alright, sat down this evening and made some plans.

Was tossing up between making the cabin a nice traditional shape but because of the relativly flat sheer line of the E22 compared to some of the above pics and the fact I didn't want comings running back along the cockpit, well I must of drawn it 20 times and it never quite looked right. So a more modern shape cabin it is, something like a shorter version of this http://www.tboat.com/T8sc/T8sc.html but with only a small eleptical window as they are available off the shelf and the less work in things like windows the better. A hatch on the front of the cabin front will make kite launches in the river easier and a anchor locker may be put in the fwd watertight area.

The cabin will start about 5 feet from the bow and be about 10 feet long and just under 2 feet high, giving enough headroom to sit on a portapotti. Inside I will move the fwd bulkhead to be at the point the cabin starts and then have a 6 1/2 foot double bunk, which hopefully will be just high enough to store a portapotti underneath. A decent size eski/icebox should fit right inside the campionway but may have to be movable to allow access to the lifting point. The rest of the cabin will probably just have a seat either side or a shelf to put a portable cooker on. The cabin needed to extend this far aft to allow room for a small hatch behind the mast which will be totally removable to allow access to the lifting point.

The cockpit will be widened to leave gunnels about 10 inches wide, leaving the cockpit to be over 5 feet wide at it's widest point, enough room for a seat along each side.
There will then be about 4 1/2 feet from the back of the cabin to the front of the tiller so I should be able to leave that in it's place, putting a traveller right in front of the the tiller. The cockpit will also be sealed and either self draining or have a sump with an auto bilge pump.
I will probably extend the cockpit aft about a foot longer than it is currently which will give a bit of room for GF's to sit behind the helm while beercan/twilight racing. A hatch either in the fwd bulkhead or on top will give heaps of space in the lazerette for fenders/ropes etc, and the outboard fuel tank.
A 5hp two stroke will be mounted on the stern with extensions on the throttle and gear shift to make in reachable from the helm. The reason for going a 5hp is that they have an internal tank for racing and an external tank fitting for weekends away when more fuel is needed.

Hopefully all that won't add too much weight and keep what is added fairly well over the keel.

Anyway, just gotta buy the thing now, calling the guy tomorrow!!!!

Mez

#55 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

I didn't read the thread, so excuse me if someone already said this.

In this economy why would you want to pay 100% retail for the materials?

Why not buy a completed boat for sale whose price is heavily discounted because of the economy and buy the materials already preassembled in a boat that is ready to go? There's damn good buys out there right now. I can't imagine there is a cost/benefit to a DIY project like this in this economic climate.

#56 mezaire

mezaire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

I didn't read the thread, so excuse me if someone already said this.

In this economy why would you want to pay 100% retail for the materials?

Why not buy a completed boat for sale whose price is heavily discounted because of the economy and buy the materials already preassembled in a boat that is ready to go? There's damn good buys out there right now. I can't imagine there is a cost/benefit to a DIY project like this in this economic climate.

Because I work in a chandlery/riggers so everything is cheap!!!

Honestly it will be heaps cheaper than buying somehting ready to go and to me my times free!!

Here are some approximate cost run downs compared to buying something like this for A$18,000 http://www.boatsonli...ts.php?de=50671
Prices in Aus dollars
Boat $1500 (comes with rig, old sails and heaps of fittings)
Ply and timber $500
Epoxy $500
Paint $500
Rope, rigging and fittings $1000
Sailis $500
Outboard $500

Toatal - $5000 and I get a boat that has my personal touch!!!

Also sails and rigs will always be cheap as chips as E22's serious racers always want the latest and greatest so 2nd hand gear is everywhere.
Another point is that it comes with a jinker so I can dry sail it and save on pen fees and antifouling.

Mez

#57 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:09 PM

Surprised the braintrust didn't send this link along by now, but there is a guy in Germany (I think he's in Germany) who converted a soling into a cruising boat complete with bowsprit and cutter rig. Eventually he attached two tornado hulls to the sides and made a cruising tri....out of all olympic classes no less. Obviously he took the conversion to the extreme, but it shows what can be done when you are not constrained by naysayers or fear of failure. Check it out:

http://members.aon.a...Fotogalerie.htm

An amazing piece of work. Must be slow, dragging that lead mine under the tri-hulls.

#58 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

A 5hp two stroke will be mounted on the stern with extensions on the throttle and gear shift to make in reachable from the helm. The reason for going a 5hp is that they have an internal tank for racing and an external tank fitting for weekends away when more fuel is needed.

Hopefully all that won't add too much weight and keep what is added fairly well over the keel.

Consider putting the motor on the side using a bracket that mounts on two studs in the deck.

1. Motor will stay in the water in chop.
2. Controls are easy. Controls inc. motor lifting are an ugly bear.
3. Motor removes when sailing and stores in dedicated locker in cockpit where weight is forward (maybe vertically extending into sump where bilge pump mounts would work).
Think about motor light enough to lift, as little horsepower as possible.

Boat will be a sweet ride, motor should be minimal.

#59 Bluenose

Bluenose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

I hope it is okay to revamp and older thread, but I just stumbled onto this Etchells conversion.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#60 spankoka

spankoka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,109 posts
  • Interests:sailing/drinking/strippers

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

This boat seems as if it is done as a OD. I know of a pair of brothers who picked up a pair of cheap solings in the same sort of condition and now they enjoy sibling rivavlry match races, so there is always hope even for a neglected soling.

#61 Bluenose

Bluenose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

Posted Image

Very Proud.

Was this job done professionally or did the owner do it himself? Either way it is first class job. Just wondering what kind of coin was really put into it.

The restoration and conversion was professionally done by Tim Lackey of Northern Yacht Restoration.

As for as coin, don't sailboats try to take everything you own? My goal was to come in under the cost of a used Alerion Express. Which we did, maybe 60-70 cents on the dollar, including shipping from the east coast, trailer, new rigging and everything.

Attached File  Bolero_Under_Sail___2008_10_18___1_cr.jpg   404.58K   31 downloads

#62 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

I hope it is okay to revamp and older thread, but I just stumbled onto this Etchells conversion.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Etchells is Kind of Fugly... the Shields on the other hand is gorgeous.

#63 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts
  • Interests:sailing. Duh.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:09 PM

if it's what you want, go for it. Sounds like you have a good plan and ability. Just beware that somewhere along the way yoou will hit the wall and only the strong get past it.

#64 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:22 PM

Consider putting the motor on the side using a bracket that mounts on two studs in the deck.

1. Motor will stay in the water in chop.
2. Controls are easy. Controls inc. motor lifting are an ugly bear.
3. Motor removes when sailing and stores in dedicated locker in cockpit where weight is forward (maybe vertically extending into sump where bilge pump mounts would work).
Think about motor light enough to lift, as little horsepower as possible.

Boat will be a sweet ride, motor should be minimal.

Another advantage to this location is that you could use the boom to lift it in a pinch. I know some ones gonna flip on that but it could be done.

#65 Chaise Lounge

Chaise Lounge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:sailing! and taking photographs

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:02 AM

OK, flame away but.....

Questions;

Anyway, thoughts???

Mez

If this works out, let me know. There is one here at the local dump, (well in an old yard across the street) same situation, hull looks great, deck is a mess!

Attached File  etchels.jpg   62.2K   94 downloads

#66 Chaise Lounge

Chaise Lounge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:sailing! and taking photographs

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:07 AM

OK, flame away but.....

Questions;

Anyway, thoughts???

Mez

If this works out, let me know. There is one here at the local dump, (well in an old yard across the street) same situation, hull looks great, deck is a mess!

Attached File  etchels.jpg   62.2K   94 downloads

#67 Keelsitter

Keelsitter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:57 AM

OK, flame away but.....

Questions;

Anyway, thoughts???

Mez

Go for it. Ignore the naysayers, grab the best nuggets of advice from the rest of the thread and have fun.

#68 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts
  • Interests:sailing, of course, retired now. Diving, skiing, etc.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:23 AM

Should work fine. My dad's first Dragon had a copper water tank fitted to the bow, boards in the cuddy to sleep on, and even two swinging doors at the end of the cutty top. Course he was doing things the other way around. He cruised it to the San Juans for one summer, then took everything off and raced it for another 10 years.

Just keep things simple and comfortable.

#69 SamR

SamR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

Well I might as well throw myself into this one! I'm starting into a similar project at the moment...

Posted Image

Have purchased an old 1989 Etchells and the idea is to change this racing sailboat into a comfortable day cruiser and so cruise her round Bantry Bay. Blazers and pipes will replace Mustos and wraparound shades and nettle ale shall be sipped from clay tankards....

..all input - positive, deeply critical or just plain confused - will be reviewed with interest!!

For those who are interested in a bit more detail - the blog is http://etchells22.wordpress.com/

Thanks

Sam

#70 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

when you are done you will have something that is yours and nobody else's. That may be the best reward out of the whole experience.

#71 Foredeck

Foredeck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

Among daysailor conversions, one of the most stunning has to be the gaff-rigged Star done 15 years ago:

http://www.starclassics.org/Sliding_Gunter/Other_Projects/other_projects.html
Posted Image

#72 Jobin743

Jobin743

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

From how you describe the boat, it sounds like you would be rescuing her from a life on a trailer in someone's backyard. I like your later plan to leave 10" of deck around the cockpit--you'll take on less water this way when heeled over in a breeze.

I wonder about the deck stepped hinging mast. A gin pole or crane is needed to step a regular Etchells mast. Also, after your changes you'll probably have to experiment some with the mast butt position to balance the helm.

And don't forget the cupholders!

#73 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:25 AM

Factually speaking... isn't the Etchells already a daysailer?

Don't answer.

I'm gone.

+1

#74 someoldsalt

someoldsalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

Andy Langendahl in Greenport, LI is doing 4 E22 conversions now-does a beautiful job making them into lovely daysailors-no website-call them up and find out about them-did one for themselves and then sold 4 I guess...pretty sweet

#75 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

OK, flame away but.....

Questions;

Anyway, thoughts???

Mez

Aid essentially the same thing to Etchells hull# 120 something years ago (minus the assy) year. The boat was a weapon on a reach just walked away from most comers didm't really affect upwind or downwind performance. Still at the end of the day the cabin space was almost useless (just enough to lie down and one day we tried to do a race from Bradenton to Key west Downwind in 25knots and six foot seas the boat was surfing wildly but it wouldn't have been a fun trip. We bailed in Venice...

#76 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

One of my consultation clients just bought a converted Etchells in Montana. The boat may still be on Yachtworld.
The owner put 3500 hours into a new deck and cockpit. It's not as nicely done as that Shields which to my eye looks aboiut perfect, but it's still pretty nice.

#77 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

OTOH a converted Etchells using water ballast extended on a arm from the mast won it's class in OSTAR back in the late 80's eary ninties

#78 Charlie Noble

Charlie Noble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

OTOH a converted Etchells using water ballast extended on a arm from the mast won it's class in OSTAR back in the late 80's eary ninties

I'd love to see more info on that - anyone with pics / scans?

#79 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

I'd love to see more info on that - anyone with pics / scans?

couldn't find any - but the boat was raced by Al Fournier in the 84 OSTAR he actually finished 4th in class - 31 days

#80 ecosse4me

ecosse4me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:Whisky, Sailing Photography and ski-ing

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

Bump. And progress on the Etchel hull conversions. Always remember a modified E22 in Milford ct. Sailed through the local j24 fleet looking very classical with it aged couple sitting to leeward behind their beautifull teak coach roof in a lovely cockpit, and it was not until it had passed us and I saw the stern that I realised she was an etchel hull. Love to see the results

#81 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

Andy Langendahl in Greenport, LI is doing 4 E22 conversions now-does a beautiful job making them into lovely daysailors-no website-call them up and find out about them-did one for themselves and then sold 4 I guess...pretty sweet

Saw one of these at Newport boat show some years back, beautiful daysailer comfy coversions, cockpit cushions, etc.  Don't recall if there wre drink holders? LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users