• Please log in to reply
669 replies to this topic

#501 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:classic collectible sailing and restoring , confronting the silly.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Red Jacket was a '69 41 footer.....first done in balsa core......it made the C&C name. The 39 was built at Bruckmann's not the production shop in Niagara on the Lake. It was semi custom and very well built. It was their first shot at IOR really. Lovely boat. From there I went to an S&S Custom 46 in aluminum for Admiral's Cup. We beat Amazing Grace for the Lake Ontario Cup but didn't do Admiral's Cup because of the cost. Grace gave us time and we beat her boat for boat regardless. This was the way racing went. I said thx but no thx. Our boat was driven by Bill Langen who designed her and had pros from North and from the 12 meter bin in New York. Grace had a C&C factory team. I went from there into 50 + size Flda sport fish and said to hell with it. No value in just writing cheques. Came back into sailing 8 years ago and keep a boat at RCYC. That's why I crap on rcyc and am so sad that big boat sailing is essentially dead. Crap, when Farr 40's are considered a boat of value the world is at an end. ONe designs are killing sailing. We need to get back to the likes of Dynamo and Avanti and Bonaventure and Aquarius .... there is lots of money out there...........but there is no racing that involves design and build. Until that comes back, racing will continue to go in the dumpster. One design is death.

#502 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:sail ski

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

i totally agree with you
There is something to be said about having a boat designed andgetting involved with the process. Then getting out there and racing it.
Red jacket is still a beautiful boat. Pretty is always pretty. I sailed with Bernie many times and still sail the last Bonaventure occasionally with his wife. God bless Bernie Hermann.

#503 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

Bonaventure the 54 racer, is owned by some weird Doctor in Denver .... Greek ....... he sent it to greece and butchered it...........tried twice to buy it back from him but either the thin air or too much nitrogen killed any chance. I can't even get a nostalgia regatta going at rcyc. Two 43's are at rcyc....rampage and caprice.......two others are in bronte......longreach and usual suspects.....thats 4 from the early '70s plus red jacket.....many other early IOR boats (ie part cca) could be resurrected and create great racing for not a lot of money, but all that rcyc does is around the cans racing.......I think it is their addiction to 8 meters as their god that causes it.........but sadly the days of Bernie et al are gone. Again, a builder friend of mine who has done at least two or more Can Cup boats says it best when he says builders in Canada have been killed by Farr and One Design Racing. He told Farr that when they offered him the farr 40 molds for nothing.....freebie......he said get stuffed...........this is why sailing is dead or dying. Big fat dinghies will make lovely grave stones. Hey as proof, rcyc has cut the introduction fee by 50% if you join without a boat. How's that for sailing incentive.

#504 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

I sail on the last one he had made at Wiggers 10 yrs ago
Not a racing machine but a nice boat

#505 blunted

blunted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:Boats with wings are cool, just plain cool

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Oh come now David, you know that not all custom design, build and racing at the RCYC is dead! It's just all the good action plays out at the dinghy docks these days. You should come by for a drink some time.

#506 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I sail on the last one he had made at Wiggers 10 yrs ago
Not a racing machine but a nice boat

I last saw Bernie sitting on a stern rail seat sailing in the harbour. Loved racing against Bonnie. Sadly Bernies ilk are gone. Look at all the money in the rcyc and what do they buy?.....French javex bottles of zero provenance. Nobody on the Board to my knowledge has ever contracted a racing design build over 40 feet. Not aware of any long distance races run by rcyc. Granted they have the Eaton group of great multihull sailors and they have the dinghy dock referenced by Blunted, but that's it. Banging around the cans in the harbour is so lame. It can be fun if not taken seriously, but it is not racing of a form to interest people in a ChiMac for instance. I believe the ChiMac trophy was won by Usual suspects , an early '70s C&C Custom 43 last year or the year before, out of Bronte....time flies when you get older. RCYC is a nice club visually and gastronomically but beyond that it is just a neighbourhood wherein you wave at your neighbour as you walk down the street. They just had a shareholder/member insurrection that left a bad taste with everybody. They have too many squash players trying to interfere in sailing. And you should have heard the 1939 comments in respect of merging with Island Yacht Club. Its a mess. Your friend Mr Wiggers is a member and never goes there. Just pays his minimum. He and Mark Ellis and George Cuthbertson are ignored by the Squash players etc running the place. How the hell did you get me on this rant? I shall continue sailing out of RCYC for many reasons. I avoid and ignore the freakazoids with nothing in their lives but RCYC and the city cottage it provides them and the forum for their " need to rule " egoes.

#507 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Oh come now David, you know that not all custom design, build and racing at the RCYC is dead! It's just all the good action plays out at the dinghy docks these days. You should come by for a drink some time.

Blunted good to hear from you. Hope you are sailing down south somewhere. I was at the city club yesterday for brunch and it was empty. I shall look for you when the island club opens. Are you in the bar or brown bagging it on the dinghy club steps? Are you and Fred going to do the C Class this year? Always pretty to see on the lake. As for my comment about design build, I know Fred did a custom with Bruckmann, or I think that is true. But he is the exception. Design/ build is dead in my opinion at rcyc. They always had better creative people at Island YC, such as Bernie Herman, and Sid Bregman, and Kohler and Moog etc etc. Rcyc has become a cottage community with big French condominiums. It cannot be legislated out. It is a culture thing. When I got into IOR A back in mid '70s it was because that was what everyone wanted to be part of. No One Design communism back then. Dinghies were for kids and the odd weirdo. Olympics were keel boats. But now no one does design/build. AS you say, the action is on the dinghy docks........come by for a drink. As nice as that sounds, it is the death knell of the club prior culture of design build. The club is now sailing middle class culture and therefore a delight to Obama et al. Do come by my old culture boat anytime for a drink.........martini I should think.

#508 crashdog

crashdog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

[snip]

The club is now sailing middle class culture and therefore a delight to Obama et al. Do come by my old culture boat anytime for a drink.........martini I should think.

Geez this is one of the most boring things ever.

ever.

Sailing's a redneck sport. Done by fishermen and tugboat hands. Just like riding a horse (or equitation, if you must). Done by farmers and cowboys. No amount of lawyering wannabe yachties will change that.

(do agree about the design/build v large boat one-design - happen to think that design has moved forward from the crap IOR slowboat days)

#509 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

W in TF???

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 22:54:03
Subject: Youngstown Level Regatta Important Announcement

News from the 2013 Youngstown Level Regatta event:

Most readers know of, and have probably sailed in, one or more Levels over our 39 year history. The final Youngstown Level, our 40th, will take place the weekend of July 27-28, 2013. We have special plans for this year and you won't want to miss it, we want our 40th and last Level to be memorable.

When we started the Level in 1974 with 20 boats we had no idea at the time that it would grow to become one of the largest and most popular events on the Great Lakes, three times exceeding 400 boats including an amazing 466 boats one year. (I think that was the year Heather was ready to commit me to the institution). But times have changed and we want to change with them.

Therefore this year's event will be the last Level as you have come to know it. Starting in 2014 we will hold a totally new and different event on the same weekend at the end of July. We are not getting out of the regatta game, only changing tacks if you will. However, the new event will not resemble the Level so you had better make plans to be in Youngstown this July so you can say you were here.

We are keeping plans for 2014 under wraps for now and you will know in due course what those will be. We ask you to go to Yacht Scoring now and register for Level 40 to help us with our planning and encourage others to sign up as well: http://www.yachtscor...enu.cfm?eID=743

Don Finkle
Race Chair

Rusty,

Put your best men on this and file a report.

Get back.

Show

#510 Charlie Noble

Charlie Noble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Blunted good to hear from you. Hope you are sailing down south somewhere. I was at the city club yesterday for brunch and it was empty. I shall look for you when the island club opens. Are you in the bar or brown bagging it on the dinghy club steps? Are you and Fred going to do the C Class this year? Always pretty to see on the lake. As for my comment about design build, I know Fred did a custom with Bruckmann, or I think that is true. But he is the exception. Design/ build is dead in my opinion at rcyc. They always had better creative people at Island YC, such as Bernie Herman, and Sid Bregman, and Kohler and Moog etc etc. Rcyc has become a cottage community with big French condominiums. It cannot be legislated out. It is a culture thing. When I got into IOR A back in mid '70s it was because that was what everyone wanted to be part of. No One Design communism back then. Dinghies were for kids and the odd weirdo. Olympics were keel boats. But now no one does design/build. AS you say, the action is on the dinghy docks........come by for a drink. As nice as that sounds, it is the death knell of the club prior culture of design build. The club is now sailing middle class culture and therefore a delight to Obama et al. Do come by my old culture boat anytime for a drink.........martini I should think.

DP is back on the air in yet another episode of "Welcome Back Codger"

#511 entropy

entropy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

W in TF???

Most readers know of, and have probably sailed in, one or more Levels over our 39 year history. The final Youngstown Level, our 40th, will take place the weekend of July 27-28, 2013. We have special plans for this year and you won't want to miss it, we want our 40th and last Level to be memorable.

When we started the Level in 1974 with 20 boats we had no idea at the time that it would grow to become one of the largest and most popular events on the Great Lakes, three times exceeding 400 boats including an amazing 466 boats one year. (I think that was the year Heather was ready to commit me to the institution). But times have changed and we want to change with them.

Therefore this year's event will be the last Level as you have come to know it. Starting in 2014 we will hold a totally new and different event on the same weekend at the end of July. We are not getting out of the regatta game, only changing tacks if you will. However, the new event will not resemble the Level so you had better make plans to be in Youngstown this July so you can say you were here.

We are keeping plans for 2014 under wraps for now and you will know in due course what those will be. We ask you to go to Yacht Scoring now and register for Level 40 to help us with our planning and encourage others to sign up as well: http://www.yachtscor...enu.cfm?eID=743

Don Finkle
Race Chair

Rusty,

Get back.

Show

Yes, it's true. There are a bunch of reasons.

40 years is a nice round number. That and volunteer burnout are probably the official reasons.

The rest is just my opinion...

In truth, time and mission creep really got the Level Regatta. It is supposed to be a "Level" regatta, no ratings. For years the rule was" Boats will be assigned to classes by Don Finkle. No Bitching" Recently, lots of people complained that it wasn't fair, and now we have a lot of PHRF fleets. Many of us feel that the world needs less PHRF. Hard to get excited about running a PHRF Regatta.

The fun police haven't helped. Granted, when we had 450 boats, it was out of control by anyone's standard. We can get away with pretty much any debauchery and hi-jinks 'down the hill'. ( the Jug is considered 'down the hill') For a few glorious years, the mayhem totally swamped the village. That lead to hiring lots of security, and trying to tamp down the crazies. When it got back to 250 boats, the fun police insisted that the security stayed... The Liquor folks hated the semi-trailer full of free beer. That definitely looked like too much fun. Eventually the club was told, 'no more free beer or no more liquor licence for your bar'. You know people from YYC right?....Damn you fun police!

The Border thing may have been the last straw. In the day, you could go to the Level Regatta and pretty much see EVERYONE who sailed on the lake, and a ton of people from all over too. Now, the canadians pretty much stay in Niagara on the Lake and we don't see them at the party. I totally understand the Border hassle, but we need half a zillion drunk canucks interacting with half a zillion drunk yanks to really make it interesting... Last year was pretty bad. I saw a bunch of my canadian friends on the course but didn't get to drink with any of them at the party....makes you start thinking, what's the point.

YYC is a really, really small club. Generally, we like to race one-design hard and then party really hard. The Level Regatta has kind of outlived its usefulness.

As for the future? If history is a guide- there will be much plotting and scheming at both the YYC bar and the Jug. Someone will come up with the most awesome concept for a regatta ever. The next day, we will all have forgotten what the hell it was, and go with the second best idea that somehow stayed lodged in someones brain....

#512 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

the guy has a way with words

#513 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Rolling Rock and Peppermint schnaups is the required grouping for cross border YYC/NOTL Regattas. Why not after partaking of serious racing and effecting the RRPS fandango, raft up everybody out by the Niagara Buoy and put the beer trailor on a barge as the center of the soiree. RCYC did this for a big boat lobster fest with success. Just cut out the land based busy bodies altogether. Train anti boarding parties to fend off the anti fun bureaucrats by claiming to be in non applicable waters eg. Homeland types arrive you tell them you are in Cdn waters and visa versa. Maybe even anchor an old freighter like they use for fireworks as the Regatta Base Camp. Anything to keep the old 450 inveterates going.

#514 entropy

entropy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

Hey Carv,

What's your take on it?

One thing for sure, we need to give that thing a proper viking funeral

#515 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Fuck Entropy...........you caused entropy...........

#516 in_TO

in_TO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

...a bunch of 24-27 footers

This reminds me :

If anyone with a boat in the 24-28' range would like to race in a PHRF spinnaker division on Tuesday nights at the National, send me a PM.

We race to the west of the island, on proper W/L courses with inflated tetrahedron marks.

Poda is coming over from TS&CC. Who else would like to join us?

The invitation is still open for boats in the 24-30 ft range, PHRF 180-200, to race on Tuesday nights in a spinnaker division. Proper windward-leewards around inflated marks. South of Ontario Place. 1830h first warning.

C&C 27s
Viking 28s
Pearson 30s
S2 6.7s
Farr 727s

Anyone owning or crewing on one of the above and similar around Humber Bay, send me a PM. Come out and have fun with the National

#517 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Just over two months to go.

http://www.lorc.org/Schedule2013.htm

#518 in_TO

in_TO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:52 AM

Anyone have an email adddress for Jodi Pepper- Kamikaze (Tripp37)

PM me please

#519 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:i550 SportBoat & VELOCITY 7.1 Sailing. Building. Finish carpenter by trade cabinet maker. Built boats in the past.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

Hey in_TO. I have it but your message box is full.

#520 in_TO

in_TO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:40 AM

Fixed

#521 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Hey Carv,

What's your take on it?

One thing for sure, we need to give that thing a proper viking funeral

the "first last level regatta" kinda has a ring to it don't you think

#522 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Anyone have an email adddress for Jodi Pepper- Kamikaze (Tripp37)

PM me please

he's on here

#523 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Copied from another thread.
Safety at Sea Seminar, RCYC

http://www.netdirect.../oler2.cgi?1018

#524 Pearl Necklace

Pearl Necklace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

W in TF???

Don Finkle
Race Chair

Rusty,

Get back.

Show

Rusty, Show.
I'm in, gimme the nod.
I'm back

#525 in_TO

in_TO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

National YC NORs posted

http://thenyc.com/ra..._docs.php?sub=1

Racing is open to boats from neighbouring clubs. Come join the fun outside the harbour.

#526 515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

If the sandbar at our club entrance continues to rise, I may just take you you up on that offer, otherwise, we are definitely there for LYRA.

#527 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

Bump.

#528 in_TO

in_TO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

If the sandbar at our club entrance continues to rise, I may just take you you up on that offer, otherwise, we are definitely there for LYRA.

We would be pleased to have you back

#529 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

First regatta of the season coming in one month.

Finally!

ABYC Regatta

http://abyc.on.ca/?page_id=200

#530 515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

LORC registration is now open.

http://www.lorc.org/Registration.htm

As a reminder, there is a 10% discount if register for the season.

#531 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

One week to ABYC.

#532 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

One week to ABYC.

need more 36.7's

#533 misconseption2348

misconseption2348

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

need more everything

#534 515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

The latest IRC Newsletter.....

Hello IRC Sailors,

Sailing Season is Here!

The first of our three-event 2013 Lake Ontario Championship Series - the ABYC Open - is just one week away, scheduled for May 25/26. This series also includes the PCYC Open Regatta on July 6/7 and the EYC Open Regatta on August 24/25. As in past years, each of these regattas are stand alone events with their own awards but will also be scored as a best 70% of races for the 2013 Lake Ontario Championship Series. The IRC Canadian Championship will be hosted by the RCYC June 22-23 and the IRC Great Lakes Championship will be held at NYC August 2-4 in conjunction with LYRA.

IRC Distance Races

This season's IRC Racing Calendar includes a three-event Distance Race Series. The first race, the Susan Hood, starts on the evening of May 31st and is combined with the Lake Ontario 300 and the Freeman Cup (part of LYRA) to create a best two-of-three series that makes participation in the Freeman Cup mandatory for qualification.

The Toronto Area Hospice Regatta Welcomes IRC Competitors

For the first time the TAHR welcomes the IRC fleet to participate in the sixth annual event that will take place at the NYC on June 15-16. Registration for the regatta is open on Yacht Scoring and we encourage you to attend as a warm up event for the IRC Canadian Championship that will take place the following weekend at the RCYC. The net proceeds of this charity event will go to the Dorothy Ley Hospice and the entry fee for boats over 25' is $150. Please visit www.tahr.org for more information.

Certificate Renewals

With our first regional event fast approaching, we encourage all Canadian owners to get their certificate renewals submitted to John Crawley at jccrawley@gmail.com or arrange for measurement through John. All US based owners should submit their renewals directly to US-Sail or speak to one of our IRC Lake Ontario measurement staff. All IRC Lake Ontario contact information may be found at www.lorc.org
Weighing and Measurement

We have a weighing and measurement session booked at C&C Marine (east end of Toronto harbour) for Sunday, June 2nd. This session is being arranged by John Crawley and will accommodate all boats that require slings to haul. To date we have weighed boats well in excess of 20,000 lbs so just about any boat can be accommodated at this location. We will also be weighing smaller single-point lift boats at National Yacht Club on the same day. The crane at NYC can accommodate boats up to 9000 lbs. The scale costs are being covered by IRC Lake Ontario for both locations. This is the Sunday of the Susan Hood weekend and there is no racing scheduled for this date so we encourage everyone to take advantage of this group session and no-cost scales. We already have a list of boats scheduled for weighing on this date so we encourage you to contact John to ensure you will be included.

Looking forward to seeing you on the water - this is what we've been waiting for!

Executive Committee
International IRC Owners Association - Lake Ontario Fleet

#535 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

ABYC was a great regatta, just a little chilly, but great sailing.

#536 515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

RC on Alpha Course was superb, Saturday night band kept the place hopin', Sunday free burgers always a treat, and awards were very well presented.

We had a fabulous time, thanks ABYC.

#537 Fluffy

Fluffy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:48 AM

Agreed, tough conditions last weekend but the RC on Bravo ran 6 great races between the two days.  Can't speak to the band though, I was chilled to the bone and packed it in early, I'll call that my one pass for the year.

Funny enough they are predicting 30 degrees for the Susan Hood this year.  That might just make me do it for the first time in 10 years.

#538 bosun

bosun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

The SHTR was good but we camped out at the corners. The LOSHR race the next day was awesome. Crazy winds and rain but a great ride. Looking forward to Youngstown LOSHR races this weekend. Weather looks pretty light........but the dock party is always worth it.

#539 515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

IRC Canadian Championships this weekend!!
A great regisitration list so far with 37 boats in 4 divisions.

http://www.lorc.org/...egistration.htm

#540 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

anyone know if LO has a provisional IRC number they would assign to a standard 1D 36.7 if a regatta / race doesn't draw enough PHRF or  36.7's boats for a 1D fleet. 

we had a provisional rating a couple years ago but prefer not to renew but will if necessary

thinking centenial and freeman in particular and will also check with LYRA folks

#541 515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

Contact John Crawley via the LORC website under the IRC link, he will be able to answer your questions.

#542 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

thanks

#543 Coz

Coz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

Tturns out there an oops on the scoring and Winnie on the 'tud won the IRC overall, not Ogden.

#544 alwayswrong

alwayswrong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Snowboarding, Drinking

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

C&C Owners Cancelled?

"It is with great regret that the NYC has decided to cancel the 2013 C&C Regatta and Rendezvous event scheduled for this coming weekend, June 29 and 30th .

This decision was made as a result of very low registration numbers and the club feels that we cannot provide an event that would meet participants expectation with such low participants. We will be reviewing our future plans for this event, any comments would be greatly appreciated. 
All registration fees will be reimbursed as soon as possible.

On behalf of the organizing committee and The NYC we would like to thank you for your long support of the C&C event."

#545 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

C&C Owners Cancelled?

"It is with great regret that the NYC has decided to cancel the 2013 C&C Regatta and Rendezvous event scheduled for this coming weekend, June 29 and 30th .

This decision was made as a result of very low registration numbers and the club feels that we cannot provide an event that would meet participants expectation with such low participants. We will be reviewing our future plans for this event, any comments would be greatly appreciated. 
All registration fees will be reimbursed as soon as possible.

On behalf of the organizing committee and The NYC we would like to thank you for your long support of the C&C event."

thats a damn shame

#546 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

Bump

#547 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hey - looks what's for sale in the UK!

http://www.yachtworl...om#.UffmSDkTvw4

#548 v-max

v-max

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • Interests:Vary daily

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:56 AM

Ok, I'll bite... Where is the LO 300 thread? Just a painful race.... I broke 2 flyswatters!

#549 break my wallet

break my wallet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

thread is weak,,, nothing on 300, levels or Lyra, LORC...

I guess everyone is too busy racing ( or not)

#550 Crooked Beat

Crooked Beat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hey - looks what's for sale in the UK!

http://www.yachtworl...om#.UffmSDkTvw4

When did she go to the UK?

#551 Crooked Beat

Crooked Beat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

thread is weak,,, nothing on 300, levels or Lyra, LORC...

I guess everyone is too busy racing ( or not)

Levels was good. 

Don Finkle got a nice thank you Saturday night. Well deserved.

Next year a sportboat only event?

#552 bosun

bosun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Spoke to a few folks that went to levels.....they were still nursing hangovers and that was Tues night.  All said it was a good time.

#553 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

LYRA starting tomorrow, who's going.

#554 break my wallet

break my wallet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

Freeman cup was wednesday night... looked like a wet cold drifter.. yuk

no results posted on YS as of noon Thursday.:((

#555 bosun

bosun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

Freeman results are up! Switch took IRC

#556 in_TO

in_TO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

Photo finish between the two Olson 30s. Respect

#557 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

I'm just back home from the Freeman (I was the token Canadian on Switch- J92).  The race turned out much better than I expected after the light air start.  The rain and lump were totally dismal at times though!

Sad about the turnout - just of 20 boats...  It ain't like the old days.

#558 TObeachbum

TObeachbum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Props to the LYRA Race Committee, 9 races in 3 days was great!!

#559 515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

LYRA 2013 was a huge success, the National YC did a superb job. We spent the entire week there and the hospitality was second to none. Entertainment and food outstanding. Bravo course RC was fantastic.
An extremely well organized event.
Thank you to the organizers and to all of the volunteers, we participants truly appreciate all the time and effort you each put in to make this a fabulous regatta.
Congrats to Rampage, hometown Press Gang & Switch for their divisional IRC regatta victories, well done.

Full results here http://www.yachtscor...ive.cfm?eID=867

#560 v-max

v-max

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Not one Anarchist went to Youngstown?????

#561 DJL

DJL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Olson 30s. Sailing Olson 30s.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Not one Anarchist CAN REMEMBER BEING AT Youngstown.

Fixed it for you.  They can probably remember the hangover though . . .

+1000 on the outstanding work done by the LYRA organizers and race committees.  Very rarely in 20+ years of racing have I seen race management as flexible and well run as we had for the regatta this year. 

#562 oldsailor

oldsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:Keeping out of trouble --(especially SWMBO)

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:03 PM

Talking about the Susan Hood and other great races like the Summerville, --triangular overnight courses across Lake Ontario, starting and finishing at Toronto. 

What happened to the CYRA, that great combination of the 12 yacht clubs, who would host the 12 races, one each week, for the three months of the racing season. What is the setup now??

#563 Tax Man

Tax Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Fully crewed races for anything longer than an hour has gone through a slow and lingering death.  I remember five races in the offshore series with the Susan Hood as the one overnight race.  There are only three left.

All of the races have been plagued with race management issues - misleading flags, missing or unlit marks, marks in the wrong location.

National tried twice to reestablish the Argosy as an overnight race.

The second revival had three participants, and now they award the trophy to the winner of an AHMEN race.

#564 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Would be nice to see more distance day races that start around 10 and go to 4 or 6
Perhaps Oakville and back
AHMEN races tend to be a little short

#565 CAN217

CAN217

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

Starting at 10 am on Lake Ontario in August means drifting around until 1pm when the shore breeze kicks in.  In recent years the Argosy has been about a 20-25 nm course.  Good distance for an afternoon.

#566 CAN217

CAN217

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Making the Argosy an AHMEN race was the best thing.  Roughly 25 boats racing compared to 3.

#567 bosun

bosun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

Fully crewed races for anything longer than an hour has gone through a slow and lingering death.  I remember five races in the offshore series with the Susan Hood as the one overnight race.  There are only three left.

All of the races have been plagued with race management issues - misleading flags, missing or unlit marks, marks in the wrong location.

National tried twice to reestablish the Argosy as an overnight race.
The second revival had three participants, and now they award the trophy to the winner of an AHMEN race.

I think your memory of the race management issues are from long ago. Susan Hood and LO300 use fixed marks. Haven't been issues in years. This weekend is the LOSHRS 100 miler......a great race with over 100 boats registered.

#568 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

CAN217, disagree with you on the 10am start.  This weekend's J22 Canadians was proof that there is SOME wind in the mornings. 

#569 CAN217

CAN217

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

CAN217, disagree with you on the 10am start.  This weekend's J22 Canadians was proof that there is SOME wind in the mornings. 

Should be SOME mornings have wind.  This weekend was a rarity.

#570 DTH

DTH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

EYC regatta next week
Always windy at this time of year
Good racing, good food, good party, free beer
Come race!
Note to former PHRF IV boats _just register, you will get a fair rating and a course length just right for you in IRC 4

#571 515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

Bump above.....EYC, always a great time, good racing, fabulous food, generous prizes, and a hell of a party.

Add to that 2 weeks later, Sept 7th, Queen City Yacht Club is host to the last LORC regatta of the season, which is also the first event for the IRC Fall Series.
As in the previous 2 years, UK Sailmakers Toronto & RTM will have a draw for a new sail ($4,000 limit). This draw will take place during the awards at QCYC and is always a highlight of the party.

Help get the word out, please post or share the attached poster. Thx.

Attached Files

#572 515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

QCYC Regatta is this weekend, 90 plus boats registered so far.
IRC, PHRF, Whitesail, and miltiple One Designs fleets.
Weather looks great.

It's not too late to join in.....http://www.lorc.org/

And don't forget UK and RTM are giving away $4,000 toward a new sail, plus another $500 cash draw.
Draw is at 8pm, you must be present to qualify.
More details here...http://www.qcyc.ca/?q=node/47

#573 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Location:The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society
  • Interests:recreational gynecology.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:38 AM

what do you guys think about a plus 200 phrf open regatta?

#574 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

Boat showcoming up.

http://www.torontoboatshow.com/

Looks like a long winter if you are not heading south for a regatta.

http://www.lorc.org/Schedule2014.htm

#575 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

1st PHRF-LO championship during LYRA? And IRC NA's? With a new Y-town format LYRA should get a great boost.

I applaud ABYC already thinking "out of the box"

#576 sierrawhiskeygolf

sierrawhiskeygolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:09 AM

boom nautique approves!

#577 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Location:The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

boom nautique approves!

i know you would be there.

now there is some traditional newbie greeting around here....something about fuck off newbie and show us your wife/girlfriend's tits.

#578 v-max

v-max

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

Boat showcoming up.

A few of us from Novie will be coming up for the first weekend. Looking forward to seeing if Keith's Beer tastes any different in Ontario!

#579 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:30 AM

Boat showcoming up.

A few of us from Novie will be coming up for the first weekend. Looking forward to seeing if Keith's Beer tastes any different in Ontario!

having had it both in toronto and halifax, yes it does.

#580 sierrawhiskeygolf

sierrawhiskeygolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

boom nautique approves!

now there is some traditional newbie greeting around here....something about fuck off newbie and show us your wife/girlfriend's tits.

215.jpg

#581 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

boom nautique approves!

215.jpg

nice try. what else ya got mate?

happy hoho.

see you on the water.

#582 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:i550 SportBoat & VELOCITY 7.1 Sailing. Building. Finish carpenter by trade cabinet maker. Built boats in the past.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

Prduction i550 will be coming to Lake Ontario this spring. Things are underway, and the trailer wheels are in motion.

Jus.

#583 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:30 AM

Um... remarkably little discussion of the boat show and Anarchist drinks.  Is it going to happen this year?

#584 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

Um... remarkably little discussion of the boat show and Anarchist drinks.  Is it going to happen this year?

im off on a job again this winter, but dont let that get in the way.

#585 entropy

entropy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

I'm planning to be there Friday and Saturday.... maybe one day during the week.

#586 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:50 AM

Looks like basketcase is back in, so if we pick a date that works with En-trophy that'll be at least three.  BTW, if you two haven't met in person it's time you should.

#587 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

Looks like basketcase is back in, so if we pick a date that works with En-trophy that'll be at least three.  BTW, if you two haven't met in person it's time you should.

lets do the 18th, at the old york. some where around, well after the show's closing. i ll give them a call and warn them.

http://www.theoldyork.com/

#588 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

allright!  18th

#589 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

allright!  18th

are you still in the neighbourhood?

#590 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

allright!  18th

Still live at Parliament and king

#591 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

allright!  18th

i thought you were closer to the pub. well, i sent them an email warning of the impending rum squall.

#592 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

allright!  18th

i thought you were closer to the pub. well, i sent them an email warning of the impending rum squall.

lol

#593 515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

I might actually show up this year!!!

#594 jcc

jcc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

LORC Awards Night.

LORC and the IRC Association have joined together to host the 2013 Awards night at Port Credit Yacht Club on Wednesday February 12.  Start time 7pm

All skippers and crew welcome.

#595 515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

Only six weeks away until the first regatta,

LORC registration is now open, and you can save almost 100 bucks if you register for the full season.

http://www.lorc.org/

May 24-25                 ABYC Open Regatta

June 21-22                RCYC Open Regatta,

July 5-6                     PCYC Open Regatta,

Aug. 23-24                EYC Open & Level Regatta,

Sept. 6                      QCYC Open Regatta,

Sept. 20                    Donald Summerville Memorial Race, ABYC

Sept. 28                    Boswell Trophy Race, RCYC

#596 JCL

JCL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

Any insight as to which OD fleets are gaining traction in Toronto these days?

#597 in_TO

in_TO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:34 AM

Buy your Shark back, JCL

Worlds in August at the National

#598 oldsailor

oldsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:Keeping out of trouble --(especially SWMBO)

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:56 AM

What ever happened to the CYRA. They used to organise the races for the 12 clubs around Toronto harbour.

Each club sponsored one race of the 12 races of the 12 week racing season, every Saturday, come rain or shine.

All sailboats were accepted (yes,  even multihulls) and sailed in four separate classes, starting at 5 min intervals.

Small first, then Medium, Large and Multihulls last. All competing boats would raft up at the sponsoring clubs docks and enjoy a party after the finish. 

"Bonoventure", a C & C 60, was the biggest boat then, but we would routinely beat her, boat for boat. After the race the big winch apes crewing her would come and sit all over our boat with their tinnies, to chat up our all Girl crew.   Happy Days.

#599 Rusty

Rusty

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

Any insight as to which OD fleets are gaining traction in Toronto these days?

O'Day Tempest

#600 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

J-105, both the Canadians and the N/A’s are in Toronto this year.

http://j105.ca/2014-schedule.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users