#1 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:29 AM

The LORC web site is dead.

I kow there are enough Anarchists out there.

Lake Erie has their thread, what about us.

No I won't show my tits

No I won't show my wife's titis/

The obligitory SA welcome is expected.

#2 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:34 AM

do you mean dead as in no one goes there?

More LO posts here in a month than in the LORC website in a year. Website still has some value, but the forums are shot.

EDIT - looks like someone deleted his post.

#3 Winnie the Pooh

Winnie the Pooh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:43 AM

Yeah I did since it didn't add much, the post I linked to about "death of LORC" in their forums was from 2006! That itself shows you something.

#4 Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:33 AM

Racing is actually very much alive on the Lake.

LORC is moving to an administrative/scheduling function which is where it should be.

RCYC seems to have opted out of LORC, but since getting rid of the NOOD has actually been putting some effort into the regatta scene (RCYC is still brutal in offshore)

LYRA at RCYC is being well promoted

The LOSHRS singlehanded/doublehanded fleet is the biggest on the Lake and growing every year

The Lake Ontario 300 continues to grow and with BlackBerry as a sponsor will go to the next level. The Great lakes Singlehanded Society has partnered with the LO 300 to offer long distance solo sailing on Lake Ontario

Even the 8 Metres seem to be totally jammed

Lasers are filling Toronto harbour

A soon as we get all those cruiser/racers off their docks, things will really get interesting

#5 O30_OldSchool

O30_OldSchool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Interests:Olson 30, beachcats, anything fast.

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

How big of a hoist does RCYC have on the City side? I am thinking about trailering the Olson (3800 pounds with gear) down for LYRA.

Oh, and don't forget there is more to the Lake than GTA. We are looking forward to a good regatta for EYC (Eastern Yacht Circuit (or Conference depending on who you talk to ) at Henderson Harbour in July. CORK Offshore will be fun as well, with the Olsons competing for the inaugural North Americans, and the new sportboat division. KYC is restarting a double handed race in June (singlehanded Shark). Shorthanded racing has definitely been lacking out here in the East.

#6 Free Flight

Free Flight

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

Also the Beneateau 36.7s are pulling solid numbers all over the place. Racing at Levels was great last year (aside from having our wind unit forcibly removed by a competitor's mast)

#7 CAN217

CAN217

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

How big of a hoist does RCYC have on the City side? I am thinking about trailering the Olson (3800 pounds with gear) down for LYRA.

Oh, and don't forget there is more to the Lake than GTA. We are looking forward to a good regatta for EYC (Eastern Yacht Circuit (or Conference depending on who you talk to ) at Henderson Harbour in July. CORK Offshore will be fun as well, with the Olsons competing for the inaugural North Americans, and the new sportboat division. KYC is restarting a double handed race in June (singlehanded Shark). Shorthanded racing has definitely been lacking out here in the East.

i don't think the rcyc hoist will accomodate an O30. be nice to the National YC guys, their crane will.

#8 Clancy

Clancy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:39 PM

The crane is 2 ton.

#9 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

LORC site is up. Forum, too, although it sees very little action.

Chris Steer and Thisbe are also active on SA. There was a thread here while they were working on the GTASR&PU (RCYC replacement for the NOOD).

I am looking forward to EYC! Missed the cottage at Henderson though, too bad.

Cheers,

#10 gord262

gord262

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:the usual

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:18 AM

LORC site is up. Forum, too, although it sees very little action.

Chris Steer and Thisbe are also active on SA. There was a thread here while they were working on the GTASR&PU (RCYC replacement for the NOOD).

I am looking forward to EYC! Missed the cottage at Henderson though, too bad.

Cheers,

My non-sailing wife wants to come to EYC for the American beer so we took a trip over last weekend and booked some rooms at one of the Inns. Pretty quiet at the club there.

#11 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:sail ski

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:59 PM

A LO thread here would be great. As previously mentioned, no one seems to contribute to the LORC forums at all.

#12 Skipper

Skipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:52 PM

The crane at ABYC can handle the Olson as well.

CAN217 cant you lift the Laser at RCYC? It is about teh same weight as the Olson.

#13 CAN217

CAN217

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

CAN217 cant you lift the Laser at RCYC? It is about teh same weight as the Olson.

never tried. more concerned abt height of cabins and clearance than weight

#14 Impact

Impact

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:sailing... no really.

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

never tried. more concerned abt height of cabins and clearance than weight

I have a Laser 28 at RCYC named Impact

Love to see you here for the regatta. The RCYC city station crane would be a very tight squeeze for you. I have launched at Outer Harbour Marina by travel lift or you can try National Yacht Club or Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club to the east.

#15 O30_OldSchool

O30_OldSchool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:02 PM

How much clearance would there be under the hoist? I have a low trailer, but....

I would prefer the easy jump off the DVP to RCYC than getting into National.

Has RCYC recovered from when my bro Craig was the dockmaster???

#16 irishember

irishember

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

Lake Ontario Anarchy - I'm in, I am from the south shore, Rochester, and it would appear that THE epicenter for alot of the LORC, LYRA and PHRF is focused on the west end of the lake. Granted there are alot of people with boats in the west end/ Metro Toronto area , but with all of the focus on the west end of the lake it seems as we are seeing less of a united sailing front and too many conflicting events as each club tries to get the regattas more boats and bring back those large and special regatta days..

If any group can unite LO sailors and bring people that have tacked away from the racing back. the days of Levels with over 450 boats, LYRA events with 100 boats are gone, oh yea and PHRF handicaps based on facts and data instead of political bullshit, can it happen?

#17 USA 236

USA 236

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

Lake Ontario Anarchy - I'm in, I am from the south shore, Rochester, and it would appear that THE epicenter for alot of the LORC, LYRA and PHRF is focused on the west end of the lake. Granted there are alot of people with boats in the west end/ Metro Toronto area , but with all of the focus on the west end of the lake it seems as we are seeing less of a united sailing front and too many conflicting events as each club tries to get the regattas more boats and bring back those large and special regatta days..

If any group can unite LO sailors and bring people that have tacked away from the racing back. the days of Levels with over 450 boats, LYRA events with 100 boats are gone, oh yea and PHRF handicaps based on facts and data instead of political bullshit, can it happen?

When are you going to drop by and bring us beer?????????? Did you have fun on the comittee boat the other night with Mr. Wonderful???????

#18 irishember

irishember

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

236 - Its Friday isn't it... Damn... cooler is full on the boat tho.

Mr. W was helpful, was early and helped set up, gave good input for our pre race duties ("don't even set a course, its just going to die anyways"), always a welcome RC crewmember ;) . I;m going to stop by to check out his star and how his mast is stepped to give me a little more idea of what I'm dealing with.

Lets get out and fine tune our attitudes.....

#19 Chris Steer

Chris Steer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:32 PM

Sailing Anarchy is a good spot for sailors to hold forth on whatever is bugging them or causing them deep and lasting satisfaction but it is still a bloody shame that the LORC website has become so neglected.

LORC stands for Lake Ontario Racing Council and it still is the only organizing body for Yacht Racing in the Greater Toronto Area which sort of stretches about twenty miles either side of that amiable city. It's Forum was as near as we had to a Parliament wherein local sailors could air their beefs, bright or not so bright ideas and very, very occasionaly say something nice about the people who organized the sport for them.

I had the honour of Chairing LORC for about three years and in conjunction with a really great bunch of people who represented the Member Clubs on the LORC Board made quite a few changes in the way LORC worked. Principal change was to hand the running of the on-the-water part of the regattas to the clubs and turning LORC into a body that set up the season's schedule, made up the NORs and Sailing Instructions, sent it all out to an eagerly awaiting mob of winter-crazed sailors with a single Registration Form on which all the races you might want to enter in the season could be entered and paid for.Then we sent 90% of the money to the clubs with which to run their regattas.Up to that point, the clubs hadn't had to do a thing. Anything wrong wih that concept?

Well, if there was we had the Forum for folks to talk about it and they did. Most of the chat was good and constructive-generally sailors are like that-but there were those who's totally negative and mindless take on what we on the Board of LORC were trying to fashion for our local clubs and their members that I was often tempted by the thought that my job might better be handled by a Proctologist. Go over to www.lorc.org and read such items as The Death Of LORC-you'll get the idea.

But while you're still with SA,go look at the post on How To Kill Your Yacht Club. What it has to say is a familiar theme and in context.

I am tempted-but will resist the temptation-to speculate as to the identity of those who then subjected the LORC Forum to a blizzard of meaningless posts under obvious aliases that made it difficult/pointless to try to get any real discussion going-ie the sort of thing that the LORC and the SA Forums are designed for. That's what really drove people away from the LORC Forum- no fault in itself but the action of one or more useless bastards.Anybody know a good way to track such posts to their source? I was told at the time that we couldn't which was a pity.

Irishmember, I sail a boat called Maggie Kelly which may tell you and others what my principals are. Chief among them is that I don't like being buggered by bastards ( or anybody else for that matter) so this post on this Forum sounds the charge to revive the LORC Forum so that we have a place to talk about our local issues .We can still have our say on the SA Forum when we seek a wider audience and broader input but if we really are Canadian-remember the Rant!-we should not be letting our own Forum be taken from us. Especially when we can't get on the Gardiner or drive down University Avenue! Enough already!!!

#20 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:47 AM

Chris, I like the challenge on the LORC website.
I was trying to put down LORC, the website has a lot of usefull information for LORC members. The forums however deal mainly in local issues.
In starting a forum on SA, I was attempting to reach out to all LO sailors, not just LORC.
I think that the SA forums are great way for getting sailors of all levels, experience and boat types together in an informal manner.

Nuff said!

Who is going to Ashbridges this weekend?

#21 Ripper

Ripper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:59 AM

See you there.
Basketcase, can you join us? We're short one maniac.

#22 Ripper

Ripper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:10 AM

......Especially when we can't get on the Gardiner or drive down University Avenue! Enough already!!!

..or keeping clear of our start :unsure:

#23 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

I am not a paying member of any club or YRA on the lake but i have raced on it for a long time

for reference http://www.lyrawaters.org/

1. the 09 LYRA at RCYC is contemplating an olympic course option and I like it
2. I am wondering about the criteria for the new award:
NOR 14.2 Note a Special Prize donated by Wedgewood of an Engraved Crystal Bowl commemorating the 125th
anniversary of the L.Y.R.A. is to be awarded to the LYRA Yacht of the Regatta.

Jeff Carver
Carv

#24 Marvin

Marvin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Sailing (Duh!)

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

The weather looks promising for the Susan Hood Trophy Race this coming week-end, a nice start to the overnight racing series at the western end of Lake Ontario. Who's all going?

Following a BBQ dinner and info session at PCYC racers will gather for the start on Friday night at 8:00pm; boats will be returning mid-day on Saturday after completing a 76 miles offshore course. PCYC will have an all-day breakfast available for returning crews on Saturday, followed by flags and trophies to be awarded later in the afernoon.

The event is good warm-up for boat and crew in preparation for the offshore racing season. As a bonus, it sounds like we won't have to wear winter clothes for the 2:00am shift this year...

#25 Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:28 PM

The weather looks promising for the Susan Hood Trophy Race this coming week-end, a nice start to the overnight racing series at the western end of Lake Ontario. Who's all going?

Following a BBQ dinner and info session at PCYC racers will gather for the start on Friday night at 8:00pm; boats will be returning mid-day on Saturday after completing a 76 miles offshore course. PCYC will have an all-day breakfast available for returning crews on Saturday, followed by flags and trophies to be awarded later in the afernoon.

The event is good warm-up for boat and crew in preparation for the offshore racing season. As a bonus, it sounds like we won't have to wear winter clothes for the 2:00am shift this year...

Shock Therapy is in with a brand new IRC rating of 1.022. Hopefully, we will have a great IRC turnout. Glad to see PCYC putting some effort back into promoting, running the race, and doing post race activities.

The chili is already made and we are just trying to decide on which grape juice would be the best with it.

#26 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Location:The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society
  • Interests:recreational gynecology.

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:51 AM

See you there.
Basketcase, can you join us? We're short one maniac.

ripper,
shit man, i missed this till today. sorry.
had a full weekend and would have had to take a pass on it any how. turns out that some time between my wednesday sail and saturday, one of my rudders broke off at the mooring. good thing is the blade was found floating in my little bay and i was able to put a new post into it sunday morning.

#27 Mainmizzen

Mainmizzen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

Shock Therapy is in with a brand new IRC rating of 1.022. Hopefully, we will have a great IRC turnout. Glad to see PCYC putting some effort back into promoting, running the race, and doing post race activities.

The chili is already made and we are just trying to decide on which grape juice would be the best with it.

Chile, is the key suppliment in this race regardless of the grape juice, who drinks grape juice with Chile, Scotch at 2 AM when the temperature drops is more appropriate.
It's going to be a cold one over night this year, even though it looks like great start weather.

I think the effort that PCYC is taking to market and promote of the Susan Hood is going to grow this important race even more.
With poor attendance at the Phalen, Susan Hood is the first real test of everyone's rig. With what looks like a combination of good winds and light winds, we'll have a good idea by lunch on saturday on how the boats are going to fair.

I think, in context to the LORC discussion, no organizing body that I know of in the last few years has taken the time to promote and market the LORC race series to the point that is should be promoted.(like LOSHRS and LO300) The clubs are not promoting the races other than there own local efforts, which is appropriate, but not enough to make this a grand series. It has all died with no one to blam. I think.
The poor attendance at this year's Phalen Race is an example. That was a great race at one time.
There was actually a flyer and email blast sent out promoting the Hood this year. Someone put some thought has been put into creating a proper post race activity, finally! It's sounds like fun.

Sailors on Lake Ontario need to show up and support the races they want to see continue and prosper. Local clubs need to promote the races they want to suppport as well and ensure the right things are done to make them succeed.

If no club or organizing body is going to step up to the plate and support a race then it should be moved or changed and lets get back to the point where we had fewer great races that meant something. The Susan Hood is one of those races in my opinion.

I'm not an IRC racer, but I am curious to see how this fleet develops on the offshore events, it's getting more interesting now that some new arrivals are on the water this year. I heard that last weekends IceBreaker Regatta at PCYC had only one finishing boat in the time limit and it was a new C&C115. Hope they are in the hood this weekend.

#28 Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

Last year there were 13 IRC boats in the race. This year, there are already at least 14 registered. There will be two fleets - IRC 1 and IRC 2 with the cut-off somewhere around 1.030.

There are trophies for both IRC fleets and a separate trophy for the IRC overall winner

IRC I Memorial Cup
IRC II John Watson Trophy
IRC Overall: Best Corrected Time J.J.Morch Rose Bowl

#29 justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:24 PM

I see there's some rain forecast for the Hood. What's the Hood without a little rain? We'll be there - looking forward to it.

#30 CAN217

CAN217

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

just thought i'd shill for the Toronto Area Hospice Regatta at the National YC in less than one month, June 20 & 21. 36.7s, M24s, 8 meters, C&C 115, Etchells and Solings confirmed. 5 boats will give you a start.

http://www.tahr.ca/index.php?/home

#31 DrBrewHaHa

DrBrewHaHa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:03 PM

Crewed at ABYC on a PHRF (yeah, I know) boat last weekend....five boats on the course in four starts. We stilled racedd it for shits and giggles. Would've been nice to have some competition but the sailing was good times.
Racing on the same boat in PHRF 2 in the Hood. I'm sure we'll have some competition. And looking forward to it.

Looks to be cool at night with fair to light winds.

No chili this year. I think we're going to take it easy with some flats of za.

See y'all on the start line.

#32 irishember

irishember

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:19 PM

Lets kill this thread and start another for the West end of the Lake,

Mainmizzen - you posted "Sailors on Lake Ontario need to show up and support the races they want to see continue and prosper. Local clubs need to promote the races they want to suppport as well and ensure the right things are done to make them succeed." Its a good point, the "Lake"and its clubs has grown to promote their own events, tons of scheduling conflicts and we are seeing the result of that - a decline in other regattas specifically LYRA race week and the Levels. The last couple of LYRA regatta's I raced in were poorly attended, with exception of the one right after at levels, maybe it was the mt gay goggles, but there generally has been a lower boat count. Levels has declined from 450 to what, 200. There are alot of sailors in the other parts of the lake that would like to do some of the western end events (LO300, etc) but to be honest, its a long way from the other end of the lake, and even though I race in regattas on all sides of the lake either in my boat or crewing for friends, I think I've met only a handful of people that had competed in the LO300, at Dahlousie, go figure.

With a small window for weekends to schedule events in our climate and more sailors opting for the local events I think that it is only going to get worse for a united Lake Ontario Racing program.

#33 Mainmizzen

Mainmizzen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

Lets kill this thread and start another for the West end of the Lake,

Mainmizzen - you posted "Sailors on Lake Ontario need to show up and support the races they want to see continue and prosper. Local clubs need to promote the races they want to suppport as well and ensure the right things are done to make them succeed." Its a good point, the "Lake"and its clubs has grown to promote their own events, tons of scheduling conflicts and we are seeing the result of that - a decline in other regattas specifically LYRA race week and the Levels. The last couple of LYRA regatta's I raced in were poorly attended, with exception of the one right after at levels, maybe it was the mt gay goggles, but there generally has been a lower boat count. Levels has declined from 450 to what, 200. There are alot of sailors in the other parts of the lake that would like to do some of the western end events (LO300, etc) but to be honest, its a long way from the other end of the lake, and even though I race in regattas on all sides of the lake either in my boat or crewing for friends, I think I've met only a handful of people that had competed in the LO300, at Dahlousie, go figure.

With a small window for weekends to schedule events in our climate and more sailors opting for the local events I think that it is only going to get worse for a united Lake Ontario Racing program.

It's like Golf, Tons of tournaments at all different levels throughout the summer, but only 5 majors! LYRA should be a major, Levels should be one, Susan Hood Should be one, The LO300 is a race of it's own and the LOSHRS series is unique to double and single handed boats. so what are the other majors?

#34 irishember

irishember

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:34 PM

What is the Susan Hood? I would probably get the same reaction from many when I would mention the Scotch Bonnet Light Race - one of the oldest running LD races on the lake.? The local club events are more tempting, less logistical problems, easier for crew. But I never miss levels, where I meet for my fleets best one design racing event. sounds like the vision for LYRA doesnt it?

Maybe a multiple port start for the LO 300, ok sounds nieve, but that would get the people out who dont want to transport for days to get to the start line. But until a change like that has happened the western end "majors" will not be of interest to the majority of non west-enders.

At LYRA what happened to the smaller boats, the beer can racers that want to step up to the majors, gone are the days where someone can bring out their Cal 25 or Pearson 26 and be put into a fleet with similar boats and less than a 150sec/mi handicap difference? Where did they all go? not to the majors where they are treated like a unwanted appendage. With the regattas getting smaller, the fleet rating spreads are much larger. Oh yea, that's right, the handicap system is supposed to take care of that,..not.

I guess my whole point in this thread is that there is alot more to Lake Ontario that where that LO Anarchy thread was going. Don't get me wrong, if I was from the west end, I would be happy with all of the choices and the number of boats in the area to participate in these regattas, etc. Too many events scheduled, we are not a unified sailing community, smaller boats not participating in the regatta's, all are major stumbling blocks.

#35 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

But I never miss levels, where I meet for my fleets best one design racing event. sounds like the vision for LYRA doesnt it?

so why not cross the lake after levels to rcyc this year? or find someone to take it there for you (lots of TO people at levels) and drive around later in the week?
carv

#36 irishember

irishember

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

The way work is going, I may have no problem going anywhere this summer.... however there is the crew and only being able to get one weekend away from the families. I'm lucky in that regard however not having a crew of single, dedicated, unemployed who can do the back to back regatta's is another stumbling block.

#37 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:sail ski

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:27 PM

We will be doing the Hood also. Its' my first. Seems to be the very same course as the LOSHR 100 miler which we did last yr.

#38 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:02 PM

The RCYC open is next weekend; and the entry list is starting to grow. It should be a fun weekend.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to the swan eggs?

#39 polarbear

polarbear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

The RCYC open is next weekend; and the entry list is starting to grow. It should be a fun weekend.

Cider ate them?

#40 T.O. Joe

T.O. Joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:stuff on the water

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:39 AM

Small but cool One design Regatta
June 20-21 @ National Yacht Club

8 metre class
Melges 24
Bennie 36.7
C&C 115
Solings
Stars

Great race committee
Great entertainment
Great food

Great Cause..innercity hospice care in Toronto

Register today TAHR OD Registration

/T.O.Joe

#41 Chris Steer

Chris Steer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

Things are getting going here at the Western end of Lake Ontario. It's a short season and we have to pile it on while we can.

Poor attendance at the P.J. Phelan was due at least in part to the fact that winds were gusting to 40 knots and it's a bit early to be ragging a new(ish) Main in those kind of zephyrs and risking a newly tuned mast. On Maggie Kelly we were out on a training sail that day and got the first use out of a #4 I bought a year or so ago after a similar P.J. We were overpowered and returned to the MK table to discuss it all over a few Single Malts. Very new and inexperienced crew was a factor and we had no plans to race just yet.

ABYC as ever great. My own racing preference-if anybody cares-is for the Cavalry Charge of the 1.2nm windward/leeward race and six of those in a weekend is a prescription for all of life's ills. And then some!

The Susan Hood? All honour to those who go out in the dark and cold but for me it all goes on too long. See above. A former wife of mine once told me " I have better things for you to be doing in the middle of the night than freezing your ass off on Lake Ontario". A rare burst of unanswerable logic from the lady in question. I've done a few Susan Hoods -in my old Shark (472) with only a $17 compass for navigational aids,for example-but I think grey hair is a pass card although no shortage of it out on this last race.

One of the things that kept MK out of the Phelan was the fact that we are training up a very new crew the source of which could be of interest. We've got 5 University of Toronto students who come from what started as the RCYC/U of T Crewbank Program that I started a few months back. Resulted from a conversation with a student of the U who crewed with us for a season or so and who told me there were dozens of kids there that would love the opportunity to go sailing evenings and weekends. So I got in touch with some connections at the U and told them what I had in mind and the word was passed.

At RCYC John Golding (lecturer supreme-I should know, he's sailed on my boat these past 9 seasons) ran three classroom sessions in the City Clubhouse-handily located right next to the Downtown Campus-followed by three succesive Tuesdays racing in RCYC's midweek series. We found ourselves with 50 students breathing fire and enthusiasm of the kind that most keelboat skippers only dream about and we learned that U of T had 50,000 students-people young, usually fit and looking for something to do in the evenings and on weekends that was energetic, fun and didn't cost too much. A pretty fair description of crewing on a sailboat!

Looking at the numbers we were getting at this early stage we decided to share the wealth. Called Etobicoke YC who jumped at it-they are handy for the Mississauga Campus. Called National but got no response and found out later that they already had a similar program. Told Cathedral Bluffs YC and they are connecting the Scarborough Campus. Told Wendy Loat at the ABYC Regatta but haven't yet followed up on that one.

With respect, most crewbanks I've encountered have been populated by people who are in the Yacht Club world but can't get or keep a ride. Not, unfortunately, an ideal source for crew. These kids-age speaking-from U of T are uniformly astounded and grateful to be offered a chance to sail on a racing yacht. They will turn out at every chance, will work on the boat and will devour any printed or electronic material that may teach them something about sailing. On Maggie, our three new male crew are very early 20s and all play soccer and work out in a gym regularly. The 2 ladies are keen as they can be and they do bring cookies! We like it!

The RCYC Open is starting with a PU on the Island one week from today-ie the Friday evening-followed by two days of racing and the Social Program is organized by The Roaring Twenties, a group of people in that age bracket who create parties for their age group all over Toronto and, just once per year at RCYC for it's Regatta.It was a blast last year and will be more so, I think, this time around. We appear to have a quantity of Rum and Whiskey looking for a home in nautical tummies so don't be at the back of the line. Is it legal to say that it's included in your registration?

There's a Poster on the LORC website that gives times and details-go search it out.

#42 Rusty

Rusty

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

No answers yet (that I know of) re: the Swan eggs. The police are investigating (they were on the Island on Wed. night). The current theory is that it was a senseless act of violence by some kids. For those that don't know. Someone took a fire extinguisher and blasted a mother swan on her nest. The mom swan was chased off and the eggs were destroyed. Pretty brutal shit if you ask me. We all hope they find those responsible and string them up by their privates.

#43 rico

rico

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

That pisses me right off. Watching those signets grow over the season from the back of the boat means a lot to my kids. I was wondering whether we would see any around this season. Now I know the answer.

Fucking idiots.

#44 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:23 AM

Anyone have the results for RCYC course Bravo? Neither the LORC site nor the rcyc open site seem to have the results posted. (rcycopen.ca has a click here for a .pdf posted, but there is nothing to click.)

Re the swan eggs, words fail me. Unbelievably moronic stupidity for a start.

#45 McGrupp

McGrupp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:57 PM

Anyone have the results for RCYC course Bravo? Neither the LORC site nor the rcyc open site seem to have the results posted. (rcycopen.ca has a click here for a .pdf posted, but there is nothing to click.)

Re the swan eggs, words fail me. Unbelievably moronic stupidity for a start.

http://www.rcyc.ca/L...4...119&mid=526

#46 CAN217

CAN217

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

Toronto Area Hospice Regatta this weekend at National YC.

scratchsheet here:

https://event-manage...ist.do?eid=1175

#47 jcc

jcc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

RCYC Alpha course results are on the LORC web site, because I processed them. I will post the other course results when I receive the files.

The other courses are not on the rcycopen.ca web site but are up on the rcyc.ca site.

The next Open Regatta is at Port Credit Yacht Club on July 11th & 12th, followed by Etobicoke Yacht Club on August 29th & 30th.

LORC is an organization of 21 Yacht Clubs in the Toronto area. LORC handles registration and scoring, the Clubs handle promotion and race organization.

jcc

#48 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

RCYC Alpha course results are on the LORC web site, because I processed them. I will post the other course results when I receive the files.

The other courses are not on the rcycopen.ca web site but are up on the rcyc.ca site.

The next Open Regatta is at Port Credit Yacht Club on July 11th & 12th, followed by Etobicoke Yacht Club on August 29th & 30th.

LORC is an organization of 21 Yacht Clubs in the Toronto area. LORC handles registration and scoring, the Clubs handle promotion and race organization.

jcc

Any place where I can find who is registered for the PCYC Open...thinking of attending but not sure which boat to bring/fleet would offer better racing.

#49 DTH

DTH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:57 AM

[Bravo course results are up on the RCYC site
http://www.rcycopen.ca/results.html

so, who likes trapazoids?
Bravo course RC seemed to do a pretty good job with them, and we never did a mark rounding with anyone from a different fleet.
We were starting the next race within 25 minutes of ending the previous.

#50 sailinspray

sailinspray

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:36 AM

Having raced quite a bit on Lake Ontario I was pleased to see such a great turnout for the open.

That being said, having occasionally asked for something other than windward leeward racing I'm wondering how the trapezoid course was received by the racers? Was RC up to the challenge?

#51 Fluffy

Fluffy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:00 AM

Overall RC did a pretty good job. Still much prefer the straight windward leeward as it was just too tempting to open a beer on the LONG reaching leg.

Gotta say I was a dissapointed in the organization by RCYC for the open for the following reasons.

Friday night they were brutally understaffed and there wasn't even a big turnout of open racers. What would have happened if more people actually showed up? Who knew that Friday night racing, game seven of the hockey playoffs and an open regatta would lead to additional people?

Saturday morning no additonal ferries led to crew showing up late even they showed up adequately early for the launch. Sunday morning they had additonal ferries for all of the crew that were already on the island after sleeping over.

Having to punch a ticket at the free pour sucks, but such is life in the new world of drinking and driving and over serving rules. Massive line ups at the end of the free pour aren't cool.

Forcing all the crew to pay $30 for a wrist band that gets them a dinner of cold pasta just doesn't cut it.

Either way I will be there for the whole week of LYRA and I am bringing the type of 4 knot shit box that racing is so desperately missing these days. Hoping things are better organized we see some competition.

#52 O30_OldSchool

O30_OldSchool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:09 PM

Is RCYC going to open up the grounds for camping during LYRA?

#53 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

Just the bowling green.

#54 Rusty

Rusty

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:07 PM

Just the bowling green.

Shit! Can you imagine!?!? The old blue hairs would go nuts. I'd love to stroll onto that lovely patch of grass with an 8 iron and a bag of balls and carve some bacon strip divots into that green. That said, I'd would never, ever dream of actually doing it (just in case the good folks at RCYC read SA).

If they allowed camping on the island for the Open (actually it was more for the Albacore NA's), logic would dictate that they would allow camping on Snug Island for LYRA. Best to call RCYC and confirm.

#55 Tax Man

Tax Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

How about a putting green?

I remember an Easter Seals regatta where they set up a pitching contest into the bay, but it definitely did not use the bowling green.

#56 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

Just the bowling green.

[unbelievable snorting sounds...]

Sorta told me the story about "Lawnboy" a few years ago. I hurt myself laughing so hard.

Is he still banned from RCYC?

#57 irishember

irishember

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:44 PM

That lawn IS pretty sacred.

LYRA@RCYC that does bring back memories from years past.. Great party, Lots of boats. hot Canadian women, and.. and something about the Commodore's ending up in pool and party cut short. Glad they got over it, looking back, if it was my race boat in the pool, Id kick everyone out too.

#58 Chris Steer

Chris Steer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:28 PM

Don't think RCYC's Commodore ever landed in the swimming pool at LYRA. I do recall the Commodore of Royal Hamilton YC getting a helpful push-he was sort of leaning forward telling a young lady in the pool that she ought to be wearing more than she was and, let's face it, he was asking for it on all counts. The bloke who pushed him is now living in Dubai. Probably get his head cut off for such a stunt there which is probably what would have happened to him if he'd done it at RCYC-and on the Bowling Green!

#59 Free Flight

Free Flight

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:43 PM

It was the commodore's boat.

I have no idea how I know this story, as I've only ever been on the grounds once...

#60 skiffboy3

skiffboy3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:57 PM

C&C owners anyone?

#61 O30_OldSchool

O30_OldSchool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:12 AM

Any local-knowledge types looking for a ride for LYRA?

#62 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:20 AM

I have no idea how I know this story, as I've only ever been on the grounds once...

It was RHYC - LYRA 1980. The Commodore's Tanzer 22 ended up in the pool. Not sure of the details since I was 12 at the time but there is a photo in the club's Centennial book.

#63 foster

foster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:42 AM

It was RHYC - LYRA 1980. The Commodore's Tanzer 22 ended up in the pool. Not sure of the details since I was 12 at the time but there is a photo in the club's Centennial book.

I think that was the same year someone drained the RHYC pool too.

#64 DTH

DTH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:13 AM

C&C owners anyone?

yes definitly.
the best collection of 4 knot shit boxes on the lake.
get crew, come race!

#65 Fluffy

Fluffy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:02 AM

I'll be at Owners too.

Enough of us for a little SA get to together?

Here are the details

When- When ever the Appleton girls are pouring the free rum.

Where- Where ever the Appleton girls are puring the free rum.

There will be appleton girls pouring rum, right?

#66 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:55 PM

Sadly, I won't be at Owners, but then I was overserved with Dark and Stormies this weekend anyway...

#67 CriticalPath

CriticalPath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

Sadly, I won't be at Owners, but then I was overserved with Dark and Stormies this weekend anyway...

Huh? I don't recall seeing you by the tent at our 1st annual COUG rum pour in Youngstown after an active crossing the LOSH fleet had on Saturday...

You mean somebody else was having D&S's too?

Cheers!

#68 Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:22 PM

I would have to say that Coug's 1st annual D&S pour was enthusiastically received by the LOSHRS racers who had just weathered a truly ugly Lake Ontario crossing. And that was on top of the Heineken keg hospitality on Friday night.

Coug has my vote for Boat of the Year!

Now, if the syndicate could just get the interior fluffed and cleaned a bit...

#69 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:20 PM

Huh? I don't recall seeing you by the tent at our 1st annual COUG rum pour in Youngstown after an active crossing the LOSH fleet had on Saturday...

You mean somebody else was having D&S's too?

Cheers!

I was doing pin boat duties at the NYC Hospice regatta. Great regatta. Goslings was a sponsor (cut rate rum drinks), then I hooked up with Team Scarlet for pitchers. Made for an interesting Sunday morning...

#70 sailing_green

sailing_green

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:40 AM

Anyone have the race results from Hospice? Website only has Saturday results posted :(

#71 CriticalPath

CriticalPath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

C'mon Dazed, didn't you see us wetvac ~10 gallons outta the bilge Sunday morning? That's as "fluffed and cleaned" as I'm committed to keeping her without a change in the syndicate's mindset!

Barkley, you're a better man than me to spend Saturday doing pin boat - I suspect you woulda been even wetter than we were! Did you happen to notice what GB were they using on Scarlett and/or where they got it? My source for Barritts in east GTA have gone to Regatta instead. I cleaned them out and they don't plan to restock for a FEW MONTHS!

Cheers!

#72 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

Anyone have the race results from Hospice? Website only has Saturday results posted :(

the big Z took the 36.7's
fun time
Carv

#73 Lamps

Lamps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:53 PM

the big Z took the 36.7's
fun time
Carv

results are up now

#74 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:08 PM

Barkley, you're a better man than me to spend Saturday doing pin boat - I suspect you woulda been even wetter than we were! Did you happen to notice what GB were they using on Scarlett and/or where they got it? My source for Barritts in east GTA have gone to Regatta instead. I cleaned them out and they don't plan to restock for a FEW MONTHS!

Re pin boat, yes it was somewhat moist. I try to do RC duties once a year because 1) I need the work hours and it's better than gardening, 2) it's a different perspective and if you watch competitors closely you can learn a ton, and 3) a lot of really good sailors have helped me out in the past, so I like to give a little back and figure a weekend of RC is as good a start as any. But ... I'll admit that last year was easier than this year....

Re GB, National was serving Stewart's. Not the same as Barritts, but IMHO a fair substitute.

#75 Madge

Madge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:55 PM

yes, and a very BIG thank you to Mr. Barkley for assisting with R/C duties this past weekend. Mark setting was just plain not fun on Saturday.

Again - thanks!

M.

#76 Ripper

Ripper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:03 AM

yes, and a very BIG thank you to Mr. Barkley for assisting with R/C duties this past weekend. Mark setting was just plain not fun on Saturday.

Again - thanks!

M.

It's not unusual to be loved by anyone...........

#77 CraigM

CraigM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Present Boats - 8 metre and I20's<br />Status - Own the I20 and Crew on the 8<br /><br />

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

Hi,
A little change from the current topic - but anyone have any details on the Eight Metre Raven? http://www.lorc.org/...metre_raven.htm
I sailed in the fleet before moving away so I tend to follow any news in the fleet. From the pictures linked, I can't figure out the set up - very different from the rest of the fleet in terms of primary and cabin top winches. Any have some insight? They have had some great results so far, so must work!
Hope you LORC guys have a great season!
Cheers

#78 Madge

Madge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:09 PM

Again - thanks!

M.

Too funny! You have to admit - it was a pretty good act.

M.

#79 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:44 PM

Again - thanks!

M.

M.

Thanks for the thanks Madge. I wasn't the only one out there.

Re Mr. Tom, people were definitely hanging around for the show. People were taking pictures, so it definitely happened.

#80 Rusty

Rusty

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:45 PM

Hi,
A little change from the current topic - but anyone have any details on the Eight Metre Raven? http://www.lorc.org/...metre_raven.htm
I sailed in the fleet before moving away so I tend to follow any news in the fleet. From the pictures linked, I can't figure out the set up - very different from the rest of the fleet in terms of primary and cabin top winches. Any have some insight? They have had some great results so far, so must work!
Hope you LORC guys have a great season!
Cheers

It is a funky layout. All I can tell you is that she's well sailed and fast.

#81 crankcall

crankcall

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:59 PM

Too many options for racing this weekend,
C&C owners in T.O
OTMH fundraiser regatta, Bronte
Rocks the Hammer, in the bay RHYC

30 degrees and sunny forecast so far......

#82 Ripper

Ripper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:38 AM

Again - thanks!

M.

M.

Re Mr. Tom, people were definitely hanging around for the show. People were taking pictures, so it definitely happened.

At least a vid was up, including Tom and his dancing talent.
www.tahr.ca

Sounds like we're there again this weekend. My shout Madge.

#83 T.O. Joe

T.O. Joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

What's new pussycat?....

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=EcUlxhTWqZA
[/font]A"]2009 Toronto Area Hospice Regatta (T&A video)

Attached Files

#84 Madge

Madge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:00 PM

Again - thanks!

M.

M.

At least a vid was up, including Tom and his dancing talent.
www.tahr.ca

Sounds like we're there again this weekend. My shout Madge.

Wow! Thanks - I will see you on the dock.

Cheers,

M.

#85 Madge

Madge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

What's new pussycat?....

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=EcUlxhTWqZA
[/font]A"]2009 Toronto Area Hospice Regatta (T&A video)

Good video!

Well don Sir!

M.

#86 dangerboy

dangerboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hey all, just wondered if I might find a ride during the week of July 20. Going to be in TO and would love to get out. Currently bow on a 40' Davidson tonner, bow and main on a Martin 242. So just about anything will do.
peace
d

#87 T.O. Joe

T.O. Joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:16 AM

Well done on you Madge!
[Good video!

Well don Sir!

M.
[/quote]

#88 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

anyone seen a entry list for centenial, freeman or even lyra yet ?
carv

#89 BowBabe

BowBabe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:55 PM

Too much sailing to do before that. Registrations for the Lake Ontario 300 continue to climb, then there is a day or so to recover before heading to Levels. Party on!

#90 LakeBoy

LakeBoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:30 AM

I guess you can't really hijack an anarchy thread so I'll post a question here to see if I can get the lowdown before starting a dedicated thread.

I've been talking to the broker about the X-372, Thunder. I understand she has a few mods, deep keel, transom and masthead spins.

Anyone know about the keel mods? Who did the engineering? Did they chose to mod the sump for the added strain? Reputable yard involved with the work?

How about the story on the transom? The broker said the runner mounts needed rebuilt but I can't say I ever heard of that being an issue with any X-Yacht.

Any stories of major accident or collision damage? General problems?

Any info or leads would be appreciated.

Lakeboy

#91 O30_OldSchool

O30_OldSchool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

I have a crew that is looking for a ride for LYRA. 175 pounds, early 20's male. Relatively new to sailing, but very motivated and quick to grasp new positions. He has sailed with me since the spring, and I can vouch that he will be a good addition to any boat.

#92 pin head

pin head

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

I forecast this year's LYRA will be sloppy. Translation - "Gong Show" to you islanders. That being said, Rusty/Show I'll be looking for my buddy. Best of luck in Youngstown and see you all on the island.

#93 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

Bump!

#94 MichaelC

MichaelC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

The next regatta on Lake Ontario is EYC Open and Levels Regatta on 29-30 August 2009. This year, the regatta will host two championships; the first annual IRC Canadian Championship and the C&C 27 Mark V North American Championship. The IRC championship, the first of its kind in North America, is attracting a number of competitors from Lake Ontario and further. This is in addition to the usual one-design fleets (J/105, C&C 99, 8-Meters, among others). Registration is through the LORC web site (www.lorc.org). Sailing instructions and notice of race are available there as well.

Michael

#95 DTH

DTH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:37 AM

The next regatta on Lake Ontario is EYC Open and Levels Regatta on 29-30 August 2009. This year, the regatta will host two championships; the first annual IRC Canadian Championship and the C&C 27 Mark V North American Championship. The IRC championship, the first of its kind in North America, is attracting a number of competitors from Lake Ontario and further. This is in addition to the usual one-design fleets (J/105, C&C 99, 8-Meters, among others). Registration is through the LORC web site (www.lorc.org). Sailing instructions and notice of race are available there as well.

Michael

This is going to be a VERY goood turn out and a great party.
Get a boat, show up, race, have fun.
EYC is a great venue - easy to get to, easy to park, lots of room to party after.

#96 Chuck L

Chuck L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:36 AM

Michael

This is going to be a VERY goood turn out and a great party.
Get a boat, show up, race, have fun.
EYC is a great venue - easy to get to, easy to park, lots of room to party after.

Just hope you have more wind than we did at the FBYC Open last weekend. Minus the thunderstorms, too.

And if you meet Frank Dietl, tell him I said hello! (I used to crew on his CS33 20 years ago...)

Cheers,

#97 Crooked Beat

Crooked Beat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

Enjoyed Toronto and the EYC weekend. Great venue, great RC work, great wind, free rum and beer, couldn't ask for more. Thanks.

#98 entropy

entropy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

Good showing for Lake Ontario at the Beneteau 36.7 NAs.

Zingara - Richard Reid NYC 1st
First Today Gary and Melanie Tisdale YYC 2nd
Type A John Froman YYC 5th

3 of top 5 from our little puddle... not bad.

#99 Free Flight

Free Flight

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

Zingara is definitely a fast program. Congrats to Richard

#100 DTH

DTH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:42 PM

and the Benny 36.7 Neptune's Car from EYC placed second in IRC2 in the IRC Canadian Championships.
The championship was part of the regatta at EYC Aug 29 & 30 - lots of wind, lots of fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users