140 replies to this topic

#101 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:38 AM

Or the Nacra 20's will get a modern chute and decent main sail from a quality sailmaker.

The F18's should only have an advantage when it's blowing 15 or more.... the problem is the rig is just dated.
both boats weigh about 400 lbs carry crews of 340 to 400 lbs and are 8.5 feet wide. The 20's should have an advantage in the light stuff... but they can't sail the same angles up the coast.

Before I get a "modern chute" I'd just like a chute that doesn't fall apart twice in one friggin race.

*sigh*

#102 Nacraphiliac

Nacraphiliac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:40 AM

So, been watching this all week. (Great job Clean as always). I am hooked, sign me up. I am seriuosly going to look into this. Here is the question........F18 or 20. It seems the 18's are kicking the snot out o' the 20's why? Besides crew that have sailed together and all. Is it a better boat. Common sailing sense says waterline and sail area are king. Not in this case.

I await your valued input! :)

With the f18s having been more than competitive here you'd be insane to go N20. Along with this style of racing the F18 also offers large national and international fleets (worlds capped at 160 teams) and the ability to choose your ride and gear from a range of suppliers.

Next tybee will have more f18s than N20s mark my words.

Or the Nacra 20's will get a modern chute and decent main sail from a quality sailmaker.

The F18's should only have an advantage when it's blowing 15 or more.... the problem is the rig is just dated.
both boats weigh about 400 lbs carry crews of 340 to 400 lbs and are 8.5 feet wide. The 20's should have an advantage in the light stuff... but they can't sail the same angles up the coast.

The 20's eat up the f-18's if its light and dead down wind. Each year at the Great Texas, early on the 20's stretch out huge leads. But then, as the breeze comes up, they get driven to shore despite heroic efforts to carry the chute as long as possible. The F-18's, sailed hot and aggressively gybing within a 2-3 mile band, start to eat them up. With both out and strapped in against the inevitable trips down the mine shaft, the newer wave piercing hulls are like riding a rail. It then becomes the most crazy fcking rodeo you ever experienced as you try to find the fine line between boat speed and judgement. I typically err on the side of boat speed.

#103 RIGHTisWRONG

RIGHTisWRONG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:08 AM

"Who's the dude without the shirt"? :lol:

Show Us Your Tits

#104 Andrew

Andrew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:26 AM

Amen.

both boats weigh about 400 lbs carry crews of 340 to 400 lbs and are 8.5 feet wide.

Last I checked, F18's were 8' 2.5", or roughly 8.2 feet wide, to the 20's 8.5. Not a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless.

#105 mainsheetgirl

mainsheetgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:17 AM

"Who's the dude without the shirt"? :lol:

Show Us Your Tits

How many usernames are you going to phil this place with? Jeez.

#106 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:42 AM

Last I checked, F18's were 8' 2.5", or roughly 8.2 feet wide, to the 20's 8.5. Not a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless.

check somewhere else (from the internation F18 website):

B.1.1. DIMENSIONS
The maximum overall length measured on the hulls is 5.52m.

The maximum overall beam is 2.60m.

2.60m = 8.53 ft

#107 mainsheetgirl

mainsheetgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

They're off! All boats made it quickly through the surf, no issues. Hope their wind stays....

#108 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Ahhh, the luxury to enjoy a breakfast. First videos are up, and the rest are just seconds away from being up. You all asked about the penalties for Mischa and others who went inside the exclusion zone - you got your answer. Look for Chuck Interview vid in just moments.

I think Team Royal is the first interview: http://publish.vx.ro...p;vxBitrate=700

#109 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

A few of my crappy pics:

1 - The entire fence around the pool was draped with hundreds of items of clothing last night, all night.

2 - Hottie patrol...Mer and Dana
3 - From behind :)

Attached Thumbnails

• SANY0020.JPG
  • SANY0031.JPG
  • SANY0032.JPG

#110 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

Hey Harry - I see you on the thread - Do you have any comments about all the Team Velocity kites falling apart? Really a crappy situation, and I hope you do right by them. These guys plan for a year for this event, and to have something like 9 kite failures on new kites that totally screwed most of the TVS boats race completely sucks. Comments?

#111 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:43 PM

BTW, wind is pretty light right now, just 6 or 7 from the SE. We are getting ready to roll North.

#112 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

Here's THE START!

And here's that LONG interview with Chuck Bargeron. Worth listening to, as he talks about NASA, homeland security, and the difficulty of figuring out the right penalty for infractions.

#113 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

Just learned that all N20 teams were advised to take an extra kite this morning - that just doesn't happen in this race. Reason is the defective spinnakers that so many of the Nacra 20s have had to deal with.

#114 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

We just took a short detour through the cool little town of Amelia Island, GA. Quqint and historic, a mishmash of colonial and beach construction, the island has the distinction of being the only US city ti have been under control of 8 different flags throughout its history.

Bigger news? We got a boat for the finish leg. Thanks to SAer kznz7 or something, we're hopping on a 21' center console boat at the savannah yacht club, then headed out the sound next to little tybee. Finally, some on-the-water footage in otw anarchy!

#115 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

Photos ... some from the finish of leg 4, one from yesterday during the race and the rest from the start of leg 6

more coming soon

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6257.jpg
  • IMG_6284.jpg
  • IMG_6287.jpg
  • IMG_6311.jpg
  • IMG_6319.jpg
  • IMG_6322.jpg
  • IMG_6324.jpg
  • IMG_6327.jpg
  • IMG_6331.jpg

#116 hannibalhouse

hannibalhouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

Here's THE START!

And here's that LONG interview with Chuck Bargeron. Worth listening to, as he talks about NASA, homeland security, and the difficulty of figuring out the right penalty for infractions.

OK, I listened.

The RRS require a scoring of DNF for failure to properly round a mark of the course. There is no debate about whether Mischa failed to properly round a mark of the course. He earned a DNF. All of the hand wringing over whether he deserved a "discretionary" DSQ for penetrating the "exclusionary zone" misses the point. Enforce the RRS. You (Chuck) adopted the RRS, now simply obey them. It might even convince Homeland Security that you have control of the race.

#117 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

More photos from the start of leg 6

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6333.jpg
  • IMG_6334.jpg
  • IMG_6336.jpg
  • IMG_6342.jpg
  • IMG_6343.jpg
  • IMG_6351.jpg
  • IMG_6361.jpg
  • IMG_6363.jpg
  • IMG_6367.jpg
  • IMG_6370.jpg

#118 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:55 PM

Note to self; at 90 mph, the subaru burns much more fuel than at 80. We literally rolled into the Mobil in richmond hill as the car sputtered to a stall.

And now we are headed into the teeth of a monster squall!

#119 catflyer

catflyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

Mr. Clean, Big kudos on your coverage! You have added a whole other dimension to following the race! Love the interviews! You've gotten to most of the fleet, except my team Accelerated Chaos. You have done a wonderful job though so you are forgiven. This is my favorite sporting event of the year, and I follow it religiously. I really hope you will be back next year! Thanks, Brian

#120 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

More photos from the start of leg 6

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6388.jpg
  • IMG_6392.jpg
  • IMG_6395.jpg
  • IMG_6396.jpg
  • IMG_6400.jpg
  • IMG_6403.jpg
  • IMG_6420.jpg
  • IMG_6429.jpg
  • IMG_6434.jpg
  • IMG_6437.jpg

#121 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:42 PM

As usual, OTWA reporting dies on the last day. Some of it is enjoyable but no true dedication here.

Oh well...

#122 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:01 AM

Oh, no, the whaaaambulance is here!

Videos loading now, even for the whiners.

#123 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:19 AM

Photos of the Finish (leg 6)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6495.jpg
  • IMG_6517.jpg
  • IMG_6531.jpg
  • IMG_6559.jpg
  • IMG_6567.jpg
  • IMG_6638.jpg
  • IMG_6638.jpg
  • IMG_6647.jpg
  • IMG_6659.jpg
  • IMG_6711.jpg
  • IMG_6726.jpg
  • IMG_6759.jpg
  • IMG_6760.jpg
  • IMG_6769.jpg
  • IMG_6801.jpg
  • IMG_6808.jpg
  • IMG_6810.jpg
  • IMG_6821.jpg
  • IMG_6830.jpg
  • IMG_6865.jpg
  • IMG_6870.jpg
  • IMG_6877.jpg
  • IMG_6878.jpg
  • IMG_6882.jpg
  • IMG_6915.jpg
  • IMG_6924.jpg
  • IMG_6928.jpg
  • IMG_6947.jpg
  • IMG_6934.jpg
  • IMG_6941.jpg
  • IMG_6950.jpg
  • IMG_6958.jpg
  • IMG_6983.jpg
  • IMG_7007.jpg

#124 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:19 AM

So after a lengthy nap and about 4 hours on the water, we're getting ready for dinner. The story of the day is TCDYC, the Texas F-18 that ran away with it today. Nearly caught by Team Whike, the lone star boat sailed close to the beach, inside quite a few bars and breakers, and made it just a minute ahead of Mischa. F-18s behind as well, with Trey Brown once again the first Nacra 20 on the beach. We got all kinds of video loading now, lots of big files and I'll keep them loading when we go eat, so just check out SA-TV for all the finish vids from the water. I haven't seen that angle before in any of the old Tybee/Worrell footage, so it's pretty cool.

17 clips loading now on another slow connection, some big chop so the footage is alternatingly good and shaky, but there is some really fun video in there, including a finish by inches.

#125 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:22 AM

Apparently 1 boat broke their mast and have a partial rig, still making their way to the finish. Sick!

#126 mainsheetgirl

mainsheetgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:07 AM

Judst got a call from a buddy on RC. Jury rigged boat is finishing within the next 10-15 minutes. They are ok, the boat, not so much.

#127 YasminePathe

YasminePathe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:09 AM

The story of the day is TCDYC, the Texas F-18 that ran away with it today. Nearly caught by Team Whike, the lone star boat sailed close to the beach, inside quite a few bars and breakers, and made it just a minute ahead of Mischa. F-18s behind as well, with Trey Brown once again the first Nacra 20 on the beach.

Way to go Chris & Aaron!! Look forward to seeing you at the GT 300 next month! Andrew and I will buy you a a round.

#128 mainsheetgirl

mainsheetgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:24 AM

Chris and Aaron did wonderfully. A few folks are feeling proud of them. They are happy as hell and have been just beaming. They done good.

#129 Harry Pattison

Harry Pattison

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:32 AM

Hey Harry - I see you on the thread - Do you have any comments about all the Team Velocity kites falling apart? Really a crappy situation, and I hope you do right by them. These guys plan for a year for this event, and to have something like 9 kite failures on new kites that totally screwed most of the TVS boats race completely sucks. Comments?

At this point I really don't know too much about it. I did get a call Friday afternoon from a person that told me it had happened. All I can tell you right now is that we switched the tape we use on them a few years ago after one sail failed with the old style tape. Since switching we have not had any failures, however it is obvious from this regatta that this tape is not strong enough either. We will certainly stand behind any of the sails that failed.

In the mean time I need to get more information on those sails so I can trace back to when they were built and see if they were all done with the same batch of tape or see if there were any other similarities or differences. If you have one of these sails please call me at the loft on Monday. I will need to know the serial number that is stamped on our logo on your sail.

Harry Pattison
Elliott / Pattison Sailmakers
949 645-6697

#130 hannibalhouse

hannibalhouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

Mischa mark in the Tybee? No problemo! Rules? "There ain't no rules in a knife fight." Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (or the Tybee 500).

Y'all come back, ya heah?

#131 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,999 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

Clean, thanks to you MER, SA and all the Tybee folks! I'm now a Tybee junkie.

#132 Africat

Africat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

Photos of the Finish (leg 6)

Love those photos shot from the boat, Meredith! Especially the one of Carrie (hiking) and crew (on trap) hanging over the side of their cat, flying towards the finish line, with the spectators on the beach in the background.

#133 Jake

Jake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

So, been watching this all week. (Great job Clean as always). I am hooked, sign me up. I am seriuosly going to look into this. Here is the question........F18 or 20. It seems the 18's are kicking the snot out o' the 20's why? Besides crew that have sailed together and all. Is it a better boat. Common sailing sense says waterline and sail area are king. Not in this case.

With the f18s having been more than competitive here you'd be insane to go N20. Along with this style of racing the F18 also offers large national and international fleets (worlds capped at 160 teams) and the ability to choose your ride and gear from a range of suppliers.

I'm late in this discussion (been a little busy steering a Nacra 20 for the last week). The F18's were faster in this race because there was a LOT of tight spinnaker reaching every day. Their more efficient kites and smaller sail plans allow them to point higher and sail a little more freely with the kite up than the 20's. In light air and monster downwind rides, the 20 has a large advantage. I have campaigned both boats in distance racing and the F18 is certainly capable. However, I'll be sailing the 20 on the open ocean as long as I can because when it gets really big out there, NOTHING beats sailing on a 20 with those big bows and tons of sail. I've sailed downwind alongside F18s in the Florida Steeplechase a couple of years ago when the wind was blowing in excess of 30k - the F18's couldn't keep their bows up and had to drop sail to get back while the 20's sailed well without spinnakers until the breeze backed down into the mid 20's when we put the kites back up.

Jake

#134 Jake

Jake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:13 AM

I'm late in this discussion (been a little busy steering a Nacra 20 for the last week). The F18's were faster in this race because there was a LOT of tight spinnaker reaching every day. Their more efficient kites and smaller sail plans allow them to point higher and sail a little more freely with the kite up than the 20's. In light air and monster downwind rides, the 20 has a large advantage. I have campaigned both boats in distance racing and the F18 is certainly capable. However, I'll be sailing the 20 on the open ocean as long as I can because when it gets really big out there, NOTHING beats sailing on a 20 with those big bows and tons of sail. I've sailed downwind alongside F18s in the Florida Steeplechase a couple of years ago when the wind was blowing in excess of 30k - the F18's couldn't keep their bows up and had to drop sail to get back while the 20's sailed well without spinnakers until the breeze backed down into the mid 20's when we put the kites back up.

Jake

Clean, it was a pleasure to meet you (though briefly) although I do regret not meeting Mer. Thanks for the SA coverage - you guys rock!

If any of you are not already overwhelmed with photos and/or coverage - we've got a smothering of a few more at our flickr site and Bonnie's writing on our team site.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#135 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:42 AM

Anyone who wants to order prints of some of Mer's great work this week, you can browse her full gallery here. Deeply discounted prices, all proceeds go to support my drug habit, or her next lens. I guess it depends how much y'all buy...

#136 mainsheetgirl

mainsheetgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:04 AM

Just when most Team Managers finally found their groove with the (at times) logistical nightmare known as the Tybee 500, it ended. But boy, I am happy to finally be home, rolled in about 4 am. What an absolutely incredible experience.

I can't wait to do it again. Already planning for next year.

#137 Harry Pattison

Harry Pattison

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

So far I have only heard from 4 people who had spinnakers fail in the Tybe 500. If you had this problem please contact me at 949 645-6697. We will need you to send the spinnaker back to us. Please ship it to:

870 Production Place
Newport Beach, CA 92663

I don't know all the details yet because I haven't seen any of the sails but am trying to get a complete picture of the problem. What I do know so far is that somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 spinnakers failed. From the people I have spoken with I know that the age of the sails goes from at least 2 years old to the present, and the failures so far have been the result of the horizontal seam failing. Since the sails span that much time difference we can be fairly certain that it doesn't have anything to do with a bad batch of seam tape or a difference in the finish on the fabric. We are now leaning towards the idea that while the tape may have been strong enough for most sailing that it is not strong enough for the more extreme conditions.

Most of the people I have spoken with have indicated that the conditions for this race had much more time spent very tight reaching in breeze than previous races had. This would seem to indicate that while the sails were strong enough for shorter races and more downwind races, that under high loads for extended periods of time the glue seams were slowly creeping until they reached the point that they were no longer strong enough to hold the seam together.

Besides replacing the sails that failed we are also asking anyone that has one of our I-20 spinnaker to please send them to us to have the center seam sewn.

As a side note I have heard there has been a rumor going around that some of the sails are being built overseas. I can tell you without exception every sail from us is built here in our loft in Newport Beach.

Harry Pattison
Elliott / Pattison Sailmakers
949 645-6697

#138 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,002 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:33 AM

tell her Carv said hello

Will do. I'll even grab her ass for ya.

Give it a good grab on my behalf as well.. and ask her why she's wearing the bathing suit :lol:

#139 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:16 PM

What a rip off. the thread title iws about as honest as Sailing World's noods

This is a naked beach>>>

Posted Image

Posted Image

#140 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

I've never sailed a multihull in my life and this thread just cinched it. You'll never get me on one now. The title has "Naked Beach" in it, and after 6 pages there are no ta-tas.

Ho fucking mo.

#141 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,329 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

I've never sailed a multihull in my life and this thread just cinched it. You'll never get me on one now. The title has "Naked Beach" in it, and after 6 pages there are no ta-tas.

Ho fucking mo.

It's French for "NO KIDZ"

in fact "Senor's Only" :wacko:

ParlyFooEsPanYo ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users