444 replies to this topic

#301 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:03 AM

I about fell out of my chair this morning when I saw this....I used to drool over these boats when I was a kid. Didn't Hat Trick used to be red with a cool white stripe along the topsides? Never saw the Peterson / Chaser 29 pictured, but loved El Rojo. Is this the same boat or renamed and painted white? Loved the graphics and names of Dandelion, Cork (another H1Ton), wasn't there another one- Appleknocker (or Apple something)? Then there was Orange Crate- a funky looking flush deck looking thing.....HaCha from Mentor was cool also. I think it was beige and brown?

Orange Crate is still alive and kicking and still has the aircraft carrier flush deck. Jim and Chris Davis race it every week out of North Cape Yacht Club, mostly in JAM now, and the boat just keeps on winning. It celebrated its 35th anniversary this year by winning the Mills Race overall in JAM. It is a great and legendary boat. Jim was honorary chairman of the Mills this year and there is a nice writeup of the construction of the boat in the program.

I remember racing against that boat when it was new. Appleknocker was a Ranger 37 owned by Bernie Swindeman, one of several on the GL back then including my father's boat. Dandelion was a Heritage One Ton, a bit newer vintage one tonner, and is still sailing on Lake Michigan. Throw in the Peterson boats and a few custom boats, and there used to be some great competition.

I bought Appleknocker late last year. She was listed here on SA. She sums up much of whats been discussed. She is a 27.5 One Ton boat, she has been modified and rerated under IMS Her keel has been swung forward which gave her a 7'2 draft,her bustle and skeg are gone, her rudder lenghtened and balanced. Her mast was pushed up to I=50' All the idea of Richard Disbrow, he tells me his boat is the same She was raced avidly by a family crew for @15 yrs and lastly cruised with her altered interior for the last 12 yrs by an older couple out of Baltimore. There is a pic posted over at the end ot the Ranger28 thread. She must have been doing something right to have had such an active life.

Interesting as these are all names of the past.

The original Appleknocker was a green Dragon raced by Bernie, great sailor. Never raced against him beyond Dragons. His dad, Walt, also used to race a Dragons, white as I recall. They owned an apple orchard somewhere in Michigan if my memory serves me correctly.

Used to race on Cork against Roger on Dandelion - great times at ILYA.

The guys on El Rojo, Brett as I recall, were also a great team. Raced out of MHYC.

Orange Crate was, and I guess still is, running in the competition. Good for Jim. Boat used to leak like a sieve, even when new.

Should know about Hat Trick but can't recall her history.

#302 hwy61

hwy61

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:16 AM

very entertaining topic. I own and race a x yacht 3/4 ton and have had a blast racing her. We are killer in light air and have done 14 knots under main alone on a long delivery last year. Runners are a constant headache but having to have 5-7 aboard add a certain level of teamwork. Are we competitive in our mixed fleet? Not really until offshore where we can dial her in better. Lots of boat for the money. Lots of fun.

#303 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

project boat, an IOR 50.

Attached Files

#304 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

project boat, an IOR 50.

which one? Vintage?

#305 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

Photo looks to be taken inside Bldg. 7 at Sassy Marine in Algonac Michigan.
The boat is the former Windquest; reputed to be the slowest IOR 50 ever built. The DeVos dog.
To make the boat even slower a shoal draft bulb keel was fitted. It was a success.
The boat has been poorly sailed and poorly maintained for many years.
Don't ask about the sail inventory.

Good luck,
ropetrick

#306 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

Ex Windquest, Frers design from 1985 - back in the water this month for the first time in a little while. Renamed Taniwha, fast enough at least for some of us - we made 8.5 kn from 14 true with the wind at 70 deg apparent without much in the way of trimming. The boat has beautiful lines if you ask me - especialy the sheer.

Attached Files

#307 KTB

KTB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

Photo looks to be taken inside Bldg. 7 at Sassy Marine in Algonac Michigan.
The boat is the former Windquest; reputed to be the slowest IOR 50 ever built. The DeVos dog.
To make the boat even slower a shoal draft bulb keel was fitted. It was a success.
The boat has been poorly sailed and poorly maintained for many years.
Don't ask about the sail inventory.

Good luck,
ropetrick

Was this boat "Allegiance" more recently?

#308 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:11 PM

Yes she was.
Sorry, I should have included that.

ropetrick

#309 Snapper

Snapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

Yes that is true but the Davidson 34 Pendragon that won that year was in fact a 3/4 tonner, fighting above its weight.
It won the 3/4 cup the year before as well. Great looking boat - I remember seeing it in Hawaii in 1982.

I see it damn near every week!

Ultra-mini spinnakers make it tough to get going in Newport Beach. Sails OK with a gift rating from heaven.

Hey, at least it's not purple anymore!

#310 timmytwinstay

timmytwinstay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:43 PM

"Hat Trick" on eBay. Starting at $5k

http://cgi.ebay.com/...7#ht_500wt_1214

There was another “Hat Trick”. This one was a red Chance Offshore One and it easily qualified as one of those weird “Shitty Britty” looking things referred to further back in the string. In light air it was a rocket. In heavy air the main bulkhead separated from the deck in a race forty miles offshore, which is the subject of nightmares to this day. Hopefully it is long gone.

#311 bobhub

bobhub

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:sailing,and racing

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:20 AM

Yes remember "HAT TRICK" Red Hull, Britt Chance 33, owned by Rob Batcher, in San Diego, after he replaced her with a DC 40, the boat sat for sale forever,and then disappeared, but YES she was fast in light air,

#312 Wash

Wash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:34 AM

bobhub-- Yes-- Hat Trick was a "Chance Offshore One" that was originally campaigned by Dick Deaver-- a long thin canoe type design that Britt Chance was famous for in those days (Warrior, the PT's, 30/30 etc.)

A friend of mine (40Grit) bought (and renamed her Fat Chance) from the Sea Scouts in the late 90's and successfully raced her for many years before a delivery skipper totaled her on the rocks at Crystal Cove State Beach-

A light air killer- and actually a lot of fun to sail---

#313 hyundai finn

hyundai finn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

Where is FUJIMO?

#314 tronner

tronner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

There was another “Hat Trick”. This one was a red Chance Offshore One and it easily qualified as one of those weird “Shitty Britty” looking things referred to further back in the string. In light air it was a rocket. In heavy air the main bulkhead separated from the deck in a race forty miles offshore, which is the subject of nightmares to this day. Hopefully it is long gone.

The Hat Trick on the Ebay site was originally a red hull with shaded blue spots painted along the topsides. The deck was originally 'swimming pool' blue. It was a G&S design, built by Lindenberg and campaigned mostly on Lake Erie. It did the 1983 SORC.

Lot's of miles on that boat.

Where is FUJIMO?

I think Jane ended up with her. :lol:

#315 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:12 PM

Where is FUJIMO?

At last report Fujimo was in Mexico.

#316 SaylurMaine

SaylurMaine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

Where is FUJIMO?

At last report Fujimo was in Mexico.

http://www.fujimo.pl/jacht.html

????

#317 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

I detect a lot of hindsight in the opinions expressed. It's not like a generation of ocean racers decided they were tired of going fast and asked for new rule of slow, heavy boats. In the US, they were coming mostly from CCA which restricted LWL to a perverse degree. There was a lot of pressure to keep displacement high enough for a dual purpose boat. It was taken for granted at the time that a keel boat could not plane, so there was little point in pursuing top end speed. Fiberglass construction still resulted in a heavy boat.

As for the control issues, I doubt they are a big problem for a cruiser willing to reef when the boat gets squirrely.

#318 Fisher

Fisher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

Ex Windquest, Frers design from 1985 - back in the water this month for the first time in a little while. Renamed Taniwha, fast enough at least for some of us - we made 8.5 kn from 14 true with the wind at 70 deg apparent without much in the way of trimming. The boat has beautiful lines if you ask me - especialy the sheer.

i have a great memory as a young teen aboard a fall delivery of this boat as allegiance from from tc to muskegon. we had a state police weapons instructor aboard with his 9mm, plenty of cartridges and an empty milk jug. we were broad reaching at at a now pedestrian 10 knots under a beautiful fall sky taking turns driving, trimming and trying to hit the jug down range while standing on the transom.

wes shultz kept good care of it after de vos and it was only after he sold it did the bastardization begin.

#319 Fibre Arse

Fibre Arse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:interested in how some one could use the name "lonely boy 15" and not be a deviant!

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

Gee!... Here's an idea!

Why don't we get these IOR boats back racing as seen recently with the 1/4 ton cup in pomgolia?

This would be really retro and fun!

1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, and 2 ton cups using all the IOR boats lying around.

and to make it interseting.... sail them as they are with whatever sails they have?

lets face it they are crap cruisers and some say crap racers but thats the fun...

roundups, gear breakages, chinese Gybes, Bloopers, in line rigs, runners, pathetic motors, poor accomodation, crap ballance, weather helm for africa, alloy rigs, uncomfortable, pigs downwind, powerhouses up wind, rating bumps, ...

and cheap to buy!

BRING BACK IOR!

#320 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:55 AM

Gee!... Here's an idea!

Why don't we get these IOR boats back racing as seen recently with the 1/4 ton cup in pomgolia?

This would be really retro and fun!

1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, and 2 ton cups using all the IOR boats lying around.

and to make it interseting.... sail them as they are with whatever sails they have?

lets face it they are crap cruisers and some say crap racers but thats the fun...

roundups, gear breakages, chinese Gybes, Bloopers, in line rigs, runners, pathetic motors, poor accomodation, crap ballance, weather helm for africa, alloy rigs, uncomfortable, pigs downwind, powerhouses up wind, rating bumps, ...

and cheap to buy!

BRING BACK IOR!

But LL it will be hard to find all the old IOR boats because most of them have new names................................

#321 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,441 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

good gawd... that boat looks like it wants to broach just sittin there in the trailer :lol:

#322 1sailor

1sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:'SuperFly' Audi / Melges 20

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:24 PM

Where is FUJIMO?

She went to Mexico some years back, along with ex: Abracadabra and ex: whatever the name was of Raul Gardini's last Italian IOR 50, the salmon-colored one that Cayard raced on pre A-cup

#323 sailinAZ

sailinAZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:08 PM

were there several Orange Crates? My brother sailed on one back in the day and then I thought it resurfaced in Greenwich, IHYC. The Sinclairs bought a boat that I thought was an Old IOR called Orange Crate. It was blue when they bought it with a red waterline I think. Had a semi cruising interior and windows/ports in the hull. Sinclairs covered them over.

Our boat is a 1978 Holland 40 that was originally called Secret Affair and had a similiar paint job to Imp her sister ship except was orange rather than green. Severel people because of the orange paint job did in fact call her orange crate. We covered the ports up when we re-cored around them so that I did not have to do the job again. The interior is semi cruising with open bow and currently could use a little paint and TLC. The rest of the boat has been redone on deck with all new hardware and deck layout. Completly faired bottom and keel. All she really needs to shift her into a coastal cruiser would be a 120% Genoa on a furlur and some slugs on the mast. She sails quite well in that setup as we deliver the boat with only a 120% all the time. Just got married and bought my first place and have not had much time to race her the last two years.

http://www.teamhotspur.com/

This is the boat that I covet the most, my absolute favorite growing up.

Did you buy this boat from the Great Lakes? If you did, you probably bought this boat from my old man. He had an orange Holland he had painted and I think it was the old Secret Affair. The boat looks great- nice to see it is still out there collecting places for pickles to do their lounging.

#324 sodall2doo

sodall2doo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

that Davidson 40 on fleabay is fair making my pants move :rolleyes: looks very nice ......anybody know it's original provenance ? ie name ? and year ?

oh well back to the virtual world where I belong ... Istanbul Europa Race right now

#325 woudaboy

woudaboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:00 PM

that Davidson 40 on fleabay is fair making my pants move :rolleyes: looks very nice ......anybody know it's original provenance ? ie name ? and year ?

What region of E-Bay?

#326 bobhub

bobhub

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:sailing,and racing

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:24 AM

Hey Lonely

You can buy your old one tonner back on ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com....AVI...:1|294:50

Good times!

this is the first post about the DAVIDSON 40

#327 greasy al

greasy al

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:41 AM

Hey Lonely

Good times!

pm Lonleyboy15, he was the previous owner.

#328 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:03 AM

Hey Lonely

Good times!

pm Lonleyboy15, he was the previous owner.

I sold it about 5 years ago. Great boat, used in the sailing school and did heaps of racing and cruising on it. Great interior and swept back spreaders by previous owner to me. 4 fridges! Went to Melbourne last I heard. Was Originally Blue max 2. Was built by performance yachts and is a sister ship to 'Beyond Thunder dome' which is still here in Brisvegas and is for sale.
Blue Max will need rags and the decks were getting pretty wet when I sold it. The hull is all Kevlar though.
I will dig out the old IRC cert for her, but she was reasonably competitive as long as there was plenty of uphill!

Pm me if you want to know more.

#329 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:34 AM

Another golden oldie Davidson 40 Mad Max in Vancouver. Still performing well under ORC Club and PHRF
Attached File  Mad_Max_Van_Isle_360_2007_arriving_Comox.jpg   74.62K   254 downloads
Attached File  Mad_Max_Van_Isle_360_2007_leg_to_Campbell_River.jpg   58.52K   238 downloads

#330 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts
  • Interests:sailing, of course, retired now. Diving, skiing, etc.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:06 AM

Here is an old IOR boat. It came to this coast in Sept 2008 and almost immediately went back on the market. This looks like a real man killer!

http://www.yachtworl...s...sint=&ps=30

The old Sassy

@ least it's still on the water

Just saw it here last week in Seattle. It's sitting just inside the Locks on the West side, still in the water. Glory is out of the water there too, looking as pretty as usual!

Attached Files

#331 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Recursion, acronyms, and recursive acronyms.

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:37 PM

Here's two that live at a local boat yard.

I'm pretty sure ErRATik is a Choate 40. As for Momentum, a Frers possibly.

--Matt

Attached Files

#332 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:39 PM

More pictures. I got a kick out of the splice in the boom on ErRATik.

Attached Files

#333 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:40 PM

One more of Momentum.

Attached Files

#334 usa1136

usa1136

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:41 PM

An another local IOR that kept the newer designs at bay over the years in the local PHRF fleet! A pig in under 6 and an untamed animal in over 20, but in 7-19 on a W/L it can't be stopped.

Attached Files

#335 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:45 PM

One more of Momentum.

Frers 38. Used to be green. Started life in So Cal.

Another golden oldie Davidson 40 Mad Max in Vancouver. Still performing well under ORC Club and PHRF
Attached File  Mad_Max_Van_Isle_360_2007_arriving_Comox.jpg   74.62K   254 downloads
Attached File  Mad_Max_Van_Isle_360_2007_leg_to_Campbell_River.jpg   58.52K   238 downloads

are they having a contest to sit as far apart as possible?

#336 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:06 AM

Come on Doug, Circuit Breaker is hardly in the IOR graveyard. Jack would never let that happen.

Circuit Breaker is a Morgan built Nelson Marek 36' 1 tonner. She was built in '83 or '84 to "Break" the IOR rule. She's built with fiberglass and a nomex cored hull.

A bit of a chore to sail, but she's won a lot of silver ware.

--Matt

An another local IOR that kept the newer designs at bay over the years in the local PHRF fleet! A pig in under 6 and an untamed animal in over 20, but in 7-19 on a W/L it can't be stopped.

#337 willsailforfood

willsailforfood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:PHRF? NOT!

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:13 PM

"Garage"? In my chart table.
Also carry Grandad's current chart for the Huidson and East rivers. Thing has to be like 75 years old.

An embarrassing number of chars in my chart drawer have them... along with 20 years of notes and updates scribbled all over them... I gotta go print some new charts.

Just saw it here last week in Seattle. It's sitting just inside the Locks on the West side, still in the water. Glory is out of the water there too, looking as pretty as usual!

Yes for reasons no one can work out (PHRF) there seems to be a whole lot of these things in great shape in the PNW. Sailmakers must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I donated more blood on IOR boats than I can recall (probably because there was enough loss to make me light headed at the time). Ah the joys of foredeck on one tonners... :blink:

#338 FormulaReed

FormulaReed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:17 PM

How about this one. Terrorist. I think that she is a Bruce King designed, bilge board one tonner. The boat was for sale not to long ago on craigslist, but the listing did not have any info about the boat other than it was an aluminum one ton IOR boat. I got in contact with the owner and he told me that the bilge boards had been welded shut and he planed to put a keel on it. Sounded like a huge project. I found this picture on another forum about a month later. If I remember right, she is in a yard in Pt. Townsend.

#339 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

How about this one. Terrorist. I think that she is a Bruce King designed, bilge board one tonner. The boat was for sale not to long ago on craigslist, but the listing did not have any info about the boat other than it was an aluminum one ton IOR boat. I got in contact with the owner and he told me that the bilge boards had been welded shut and he planed to put a keel on it. Sounded like a huge project. I found this picture on another forum about a month later. If I remember right, she is in a yard in Pt. Townsend.

My friend's dad built that boat. Have you got contact info?

#340 FormulaReed

FormulaReed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:11 AM

I sent you a PM. I have some more pictures that I can post if you want.

Best,

Reed

#341 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:38 AM

Terrorist and her big sister Hawkeye were the bomb back in the day. Sad to see in this condition. Putting a keel on will be a non-trivial exercise, as the structure just isn't there. The bilge boards worked fine, and with that kick-up rudder gave her an extraordinary shallow-water capacity - great for cruising, despite eating interior volume. But it depends on what you want to do with her, I expect.....

#342 Wash

Wash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:14 AM

My boat is one of the early IOR (1973) designs-- Bill Tripps's last design -- Sailed on her as a teenager (!973 -1975) and bought her 10 years ago and restored her. Still look back at her when I leave the marina every time! With modern lightweight materials (Sails, rigging and Spin Pole) used aloft and modern sail handling systems (Self tailing winches / efficient furlers, etc.) installed she is quite manageable off the wind in a breeze (you still have to know what you are doing) and a dream to sail upwind and power reaching in seas.

Attached Files

#343 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:22 AM

I sent you a PM. I have some more pictures that I can post if you want.

Best,

Reed

Hey, thanks I'll pass it along. Wonder if you could register a name like that these days? Not simpler times back then, but a different sense of humor? That name came from Newport Beach in the late seventies.

#344 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:25 AM

Terrorist and her big sister Hawkeye were the bomb back in the day. Sad to see in this condition. Putting a keel on will be a non-trivial exercise, as the structure just isn't there. The bilge boards worked fine, and with that kick-up rudder gave her an extraordinary shallow-water capacity - great for cruising, despite eating interior volume. But it depends on what you want to do with her, I expect.....

Was not a cruising boat. Was a IOR rule beater. Loads of form stability, all lead in the bilge. Must be a lot of fizzy aluminum now. Wonder if the lead is still in it, or sold to interstate?

#345 Wash

Wash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:34 AM

Interior Pics- Racing and sailing the 60's - 70's boats was comfy!

Attached Files

#346 Enola Gay

Enola Gay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:38 AM

Gotta love double salons!!!!

#347 FormulaReed

FormulaReed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:10 AM

Was not a cruising boat. Was a IOR rule beater. Loads of form stability, all lead in the bilge. Must be a lot of fizzy aluminum now. Wonder if the lead is still in it, or sold to interstate?

I think that the current owner took out the lead when he was trying to put a keel on it. I have been told that the gar board plates and floors were all replaced and beefed up for a center line keel. I don't know how well the mods were done but I figured the boat was a lost cause.

The name on the boat is no longer Terrorist. The story I heard was that the boat was so much faster than the other boats that IOR banned bilge boards. After that, the boat was renamed Uproar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#348 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:20 PM

"Planned to put a keel on it" why do people do stupid sh## like this? It was a boat that was so much faster than anything in the league, they changed to rules. Did this guy think it was going to sail better with a fin keel? Maybe he figures it'll be safer if he can run aground further off the beach? Or was it just a blind fixation?

I love to hear about projects like this, some guy who has learned by flipping thru some glossy mags suddenly thinks he's smarter about boat design than one of the world's foremost naval architects. But then, I've been accused of enjoying it when my cynicism about human nature is confirmed....

FB- Doug

#349 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

Terrorist and Hawkeye were twitchy as hell, plagued with mechanical problems, and didn't sail fast enough to justify the negatives. Very cool idea but reality didn't live up to the hype.

#350 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

I think that the current owner took out the lead when he was trying to put a keel on it. I have been told that the gar board plates and floors were all replaced and beefed up for a center line keel. I don't know how well the mods were done but I figured the boat was a lost cause.

The name on the boat is no longer Terrorist. The story I heard was that the boat was so much faster than the other boats that IOR banned bilge boards. After that, the boat was renamed Uproar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Pacific Northwest: Where old boats go to die.

Port Townsend: Where they provide hospice care and the graveyard.

#351 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:26 AM

Terrorist and Hawkeye were twitchy as hell, plagued with mechanical problems, and didn't sail fast enough to justify the negatives. Very cool idea but reality didn't live up to the hype.

I thought TERRORIST won the 1 Ton champs? And of course she was twitchy, all the hot custom IOR boats were twitchy. Would putting on a fixed fin stop her being twitchy? Probably help with reserve stability, which would be nice in the final stages of playing "Death Roll Bonanza" but I can't see it doing much good over all. Certainly wouldn't help with the mechanical plague :)

But hey what do I know... I went & bought a daggerboard from the same era...

FB- Doug

#352 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:02 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Pacific Northwest: Where old boats go to die.

Port Townsend: Where they provide hospice care and the graveyard.

Where abouts in PT is this?

#353 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:00 AM

Two more I found outside of Naptown while down for the boatshow.

The name of the first boat is Nogutsnoglory.

--Matt

Attached Files

#354 dogbark

dogbark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:41 AM

Pretty sure that the white boat next to the blue one in the other picture is an Aphrodite 101 built in Denmark.

#355 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:14 AM

Pretty sure that the white boat next to the blue one in the other picture is an Aphrodite 101 built in Denmark.

From photos here, www.aphrodite101.info/, I'd say your right, good eye.

--Matt

#356 Somtam Cowboy

Somtam Cowboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:17 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned in an earlier post.
Here's the old Mull 45 Bad Habits found rotting away in a Malaysian yard and spruced back up better than new.
Des Kearns did a fantastic job bringing her back to life.
My Old Man sailed it to Hawaii from NZ waaay back for the Pan Am clipper cup.
Looks alot more livable down stairs now than it did back then.....
Attached File  DSC02381.jpg   36.11K   115 downloadsAttached File  DSC02402.jpg   50.8K   119 downloads
Attached File  DSC07987.jpg   33.59K   135 downloadsAttached File  DSC08046.jpg   44.37K   163 downloads
Attached File  DSC08003.jpg   27.11K   116 downloads

#357 Showtime

Showtime

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Other than Sailing?

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

--Matt

What yard are these two in?

#358 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,072 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

--Matt

I remember "Snuggly-nuggets" from back in the day. There was another one with a similar striping scheme, except in red/orange/yellow. Damned if I remember the name, though.

#359 pitman260

pitman260

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Interests:music, law,sailing, travelling

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:40 PM

--Matt

I think ErRATik is a Choate 40--ex "Super Splurge" It is probably in Morgan Marine in Sayreville/Morgan NJ--I have sailed on it--it was once a beauty--now pretty much a mess. I know the current owner--a great guy but a true "wingnut"

#360 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,072 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

--Matt

I think ErRATik is a Choate 40--ex "Super Splurge" It is probably in Morgan Marine in Sayreville/Morgan NJ--I have sailed on it--it was once a beauty--now pretty much a mess. I know the current owner--a great guy but a true "wingnut"

He sails a 105?

#361 pitman260

pitman260

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Interests:music, law,sailing, travelling

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

He actually doesn't sail a J/105--but he is clearly dumb enough to do it

#362 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts
  • Interests:sailing, of course, retired now. Diving, skiing, etc.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

very entertaining topic. I own and race a x yacht 3/4 ton and have had a blast racing her. We are killer in light air and have done 14 knots under main alone on a long delivery last year. Runners are a constant headache but having to have 5-7 aboard add a certain level of teamwork. Are we competitive in our mixed fleet? Not really until offshore where we can dial her in better. Lots of boat for the money. Lots of fun.

Which one? I raced on one out here in the PNW in the mid 80's. It came from Chicago, not sure where it went after the owner sold it. We won the 3/4 ton NA's with it before he sold it.

#363 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,072 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

This was our boat back when she was new. We built a shitload of sails for her. She sold for 17K a few years ago. I'll bet you could get her for less than 10 today. Might be worth it just to fill up the cockpit with Jell-O..................again.

Linky

#364 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

This was our boat back when she was new. We built a shitload of sails for her. She sold for 17K a few years ago. I'll bet you could get her for less than 10 today. Might be worth it just to fill up the cockpit with Jell-O..................again.

Linky

I count 5 really bad ideas

#365 Nomenclature

Nomenclature

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:20 PM

Linky

I would count selling the boat for 17K as a good idea.
Buying that boat at any price, ridiculous idea.

#366 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:25 PM

Just curious why would you say it is a bad idea?

#367 Phoenix

Phoenix

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:55 PM

No Guts is a Rodgers 3/4 tonner. It last sailed about 10 years ago. It sat at AYC next to the club house until they raised the slip fees.

#368 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:57 PM

Linky

good idea:
selling boat for 17K

bad ideas:
being in Texas
buying boat
building sails for that boat
putting Jello-O in the cockpit (depending on participants

your mileage may vary

#369 Nomenclature

Nomenclature

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:07 AM

Just curious why would you say it is a bad idea?

Because the J 34's hull form was obsolete a decade before it was designed.
It is similar to the Ericson 34T from the '70s, an IOR abomination.

#370 mtn50

mtn50

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Hockey
    Football

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:09 AM

--Matt

Posted Image

I guess they are getting ready for a mark rounding, with the pole up. :huh:

#371 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:36 AM

I have a huge soft spot for those IOR warhorses. Grew up and learned to sail and race on a Serendipity, spent a few years on a N/M Morgan 36. God I love those boats. Though not an IOR boat, my *new* boat is an old MORC design, an Evelyn 26. I found her wasting away in a boat yard, stripped of all hardware, and had not seen water in 10 to 15 years. All I have to say is my crew and I love the boat to death. My bowman did fordeck on the Serendipity, he keeps remarking how much easier things are.

At the boat yard I used to work at there are a few warhorses collecting dust. A Peterson/Islander 40 and some steel hulled 45ish footer from Russia. In the area there is also a Choate 40 and an another Peterson one tonner. I'll try and get a few pictures after Block.

tpb, beautiful boat, love the shiny look. I keep telling my friend with a Wolverine 29 to strip the paint and polish those topsides.

--Matt

Great little boat you've got there...

#372 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,072 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:17 AM

Linky

good idea:
selling boat for 17K

bad ideas:
being in Texas
buying boat
building sails for that boat
putting Jello-O in the cockpit (depending on participants

your mileage may vary

When we had her, she was in Annapolis. As for the Jell-O, well, you had to be there.

#373 Platu 25

Platu 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

Whenever I am in Traverse City, MI, I try to go out in the morning before the family wakes up and look at the dinosaurs. One of my favorites was a Kauffman Screamer 40. It was red and called Fox. It looked like an aircraft carrier in the water. Last time I went to look at it, it was gone. Does anyone know where it went?

#374 irishman72

irishman72

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:36 AM

Did someone say On Tonner?

Here she is in her prime before winning the Admiral's Cup on the German team. I raced her in College in the late '80s early '90s, currently she is wasting away in a boat yard down the street up here in Portsmouth, RI.

where is she? She for sale?

Pirate Cove Marina on the hard, dying a slow death.

Damn that's sad. That's an incredible picture of a gorgeous boat.

#375 Bedford

Bedford

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:47 AM

Here's K5 last year at Rolex St. Thomas. Fugly doghouse.

Attached Files

#376 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:08 AM

Pitman's right, Morgan Marina in Sayreville.

Neil, ErRATik was at RYC at some point of her life, right? Was she called "Super Splurge" then?

Cool looking boat, but the deck is a trampoline now.

--Matt

#377 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:38 AM

I thought TERRORIST won the 1 Ton champs? And of course she was twitchy, all the hot custom IOR boats were twitchy. Would putting on a fixed fin stop her being twitchy? Probably help with reserve stability, which would be nice in the final stages of playing "Death Roll Bonanza" but I can't see it doing much good over all. Certainly wouldn't help with the mechanical plague :)

Dunno about the 1-ton, but I know Terrorist/Uproar sailed *way* above its rating before they changed the rules to (effectively) obsolete it. Tracked 3-5 degrees higher than anything else upwnd, thanks to the angled boards, and offwind in a breeze it was a rolly-poley rocket.

#378 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

Here's a few more warhorses on the hard.

The first is a Peterson/Islander 40, Inverary. She came off her mooring during a storm, got beat up and sank. The owner had no insurance so he abandoned the boat. It was re-floated and brought to a marina. Over the past 10 or so years the new owner has been putting her back together. I don't have any pictures, but the bow was actually split open down the center.

--Matt

Attached Files

#379 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

Second boat.

This one is a Ron Holland designed Kirie Feeling 3700, Mistral. Don't know much about it. I talked to the owner when he hauled the boat 3 years ago. He was planning on selling. The boat is a mess inside, but looked like was gorgeous when newer.

--Matt

Attached Files

#380 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

Finally, I don't know much about this boat. It's 45'-50', it's Russian, and it's steel.

Attached Files

#381 NyJboat

NyJboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

Good finds Matt.

Love how your quoting Don P. in your signature.

#382 KennyB

KennyB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:25 PM

You all are forgetting about the two tonner Aggressive II. I sailed on Hawkeye the 1st year Cal Maritime had the boat! We did the BBS that year (1980) and had so much fun going upwind in a breeze! We sailed with 19 and NOBODY dared start to weather of us.....Except Commodore Tomkins sailing Zamazaan a Farr52. But that was the 1st start of the 1st race of the series! :lol:

Hawkeye was built by Driscoll's San Diego and sailed briefly in Socal getting sorted out for SORC. It was during her delivery to Fla that IOR bent her and the design over..... and well, we all know what happened! 1 description I heard about Hawkeye was that she was a 65' boat crammed into a 48' shell, she was that powerful.

#383 Yaz

Yaz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:05 AM

That Pendennis destroyed this once stately Maxi's lines with that doghouse is tragic, and the red paint job is unforgivable. Absolutely the worst transformation of a race boat I have ever seen.

#384 carcrash

carcrash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:54 AM

Dunno about the 1-ton, but I know Terrorist/Uproar sailed *way* above its rating before they changed the rules to (effectively) obsolete it. Tracked 3-5 degrees higher than anything else upwnd, thanks to the angled boards, and offwind in a breeze it was a rolly-poley rocket.

Terrorist was for sale years ago, in San Diego. I watched it being built in Sparcraft just around the corner from the sail loft I worked in (Taylor Made Sails), and I lusted after that IOR rule beating design. The for sale ad reawakened that boat lust from long ago... I took a good crew and test sailed the boat. I did not buy it because, while it might have been very fast for its original rating, it was not a fast boat. Worse, it did not feel fast. I mean, not bad, but nothing about the actual dynamics were notable. Its actually a very heavy boat. And then the mechanical issues... But the total and final deal breaker was because it looked like a fat pig. People in the bar were literally laughing at how ugly the boat was! Pointing and laughing!

That reminded me of seeing Hawkeye in Grenada, a month or so after its SORC debut. I tried to explain to people that it was actually a pretty cool design. They just did not get it. They had not drunk deeply of the IOR Koolaid. So they had no adoration of the idiocy that resulted: slow, uncomfortable, unseaworthy boats that looked like fat pigs.

#385 Laser1

Laser1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

That Pendennis destroyed this once stately Maxi's lines with that doghouse is tragic, and the red paint job is unforgivable. Absolutely the worst transformation of a race boat I have ever seen.

Ho there......hold your horses cowboy !!!

You may have forgotten that shipyards work to a spec. set by the owner/client. Carrying out his requirements/taste/wishes.....whatever !!

That this may not necessarily conform to everybody's standards is something we have to live with.

Yes.......the new owner messed up a thoroughbread...that I have to agree !

Attached Files

#386 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

... ... ...
That reminded me of seeing Hawkeye in Grenada, a month or so after its SORC debut. I tried to explain to people that it was actually a pretty cool design. They just did not get it. They had not drunk deeply of the IOR Koolaid. So they had no adoration of the idiocy that resulted: slow, uncomfortable, unseaworthy boats that looked like fat pigs.

But, if looked at in the context of that era... it was a BEAUTY of a fat pig!
(after all, what good is a skinny pig?)

FB- Doug

#387 Yaz

Yaz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:48 PM

Ho there......hold your horses cowboy !!!

You may have forgotten that shipyards work to a spec. set by the owner/client. Carrying out his requirements/taste/wishes.....whatever !!

That this may not necessarily conform to everybody's standards is something we have to live with.

Yes.......the new owner messed up a thoroughbread...that I have to agree !

You are right, of course.

#388 cat3

cat3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

Terrorist was for sale years ago, in San Diego. I watched it being built in Sparcraft just around the corner from the sail loft I worked in (Taylor Made Sails), and I lusted after that IOR rule beating design. The for sale ad reawakened that boat lust from long ago... I took a good crew and test sailed the boat. I did not buy it because, while it might have been very fast for its original rating, it was not a fast boat. Worse, it did not feel fast. I mean, not bad, but nothing about the actual dynamics were notable. Its actually a very heavy boat. And then the mechanical issues... But the total and final deal breaker was because it looked like a fat pig. People in the bar were literally laughing at how ugly the boat was! Pointing and laughing!

TERRORIST...I had forgotten that name....Sailed a few races in the SORC with Sparcraft' owner "Uncle" Al Cassel and his great crew of Newport Beach Madmen. A lot of fun...got off before the One Ton Championship, I don't think they won. The boat had a "warp" drive that would make it fly ...problem was we could'nt figure out how to engage it ...consistently. Al also gave Brit Chance a chance to design one of his first radical boats ... light weight 50 footer (15 ton) WARRIOR ...we got an A class Third in the last Bermuda Race that required a Real Navigator ..with a sextant . Slippery Sloan was a magician, that was the most competant group of Hell Raisers I ever sailed with. ( I am an east coast guy...they let me sail with them as long as didn't wear "fucking red pants").

#389 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:26 AM

Al also gave Brit Chance a chance to design one of his first radical boats ... light weight 50 footer (15 ton) WARRIOR ...

I did a big-boat series on Warrior, probably 1980 or 1981. It wasn't all that radical. sadly, it also wasn't all that fast. fun bunch, though, and Al was a real character.

#390 sirstopher

sirstopher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

So this is my current project, been 12 months and have gone thru everything and replaced about 10g of outdated hardware, ect. I am to young to know much about IOR, my dad did win the mini ton worlds, but I just like the feel of sailing.

So my little pig rates 25.2IOR, is this 3/4 ton?

Attached Files

#391 Jollymon

Jollymon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

So this is my current project, been 12 months and have gone thru everything and replaced about 10g of outdated hardware, ect. I am to young to know much about IOR, my dad did win the mini ton worlds, but I just like the feel of sailing.

So my little pig rates 25.2IOR, is this 3/4 ton?

AFAIK the 33 was not an IOR boat, the Ericson 34 was their version of the 3/4 tonner.

JM

#392 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

AFAIK the 33 was not an IOR boat, the Ericson 34 was their version of the 3/4 tonner.

Correct. The "34R" was a Bruce King design, rated 24.5, actually pretty competitive... especially once you chainsawed a few hundred pounds of lead out of the keel. Had several active in SoCal... Pizzazz, Seduction, Junkyard Dog...

#393 sirstopher

sirstopher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:18 PM

Ericson 34t

Attached Files

#394 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:40 AM

Ericson 34t

Yup. Same hull as the 34R, different cabin trunk (and slightly heavier)

Funny (?) story about the 34. The original cockpit was designed with the primary winches on "islands" that jutted out towards the centerline... the idea being that the trimmer could sit aft, facing forward in a little "pit" with the winch drum right in front of him.

It wasn't until we took hull #1 (Pizzazz) sailing that we noticed a problem with that.... those clever little winch islands seriously impaired the tiller, making it so the helmsman had to basically hold the tiller vertical if he wanted to actually, you know, turn the boat. The ended up cutting the islands out of the cockpit of the first few boats with a sawzall, experimenting with a variety of winch positions, and rebuilt the deck mold with what they learned.

#395 thornapple

thornapple

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:58 AM

Al also gave Brit Chance a chance to design one of his first radical boats ... light weight 50 footer (15 ton) WARRIOR ...

I did a big-boat series on Warrior, probably 1980 or 1981. It wasn't all that radical. sadly, it also wasn't all that fast. fun bunch, though, and Al was a real character.

Sledracr- The '81 Warrior was the 46 footer, which seemed like a bit of a disaster. High freeboard, lots of interior, and really advanced construction specs that were difficult to produce (given the state of the art of cold molding at the time). These shots are the first day out on the water for the boat. Compared to some of Brit's other boats at the time - Vineta, Resolute Salmon, etc…- this boat was an oddball and Al Cassell deserved better. Not sure if I would have wanted to do BBS on it (let alone go offshore)..

Posted Image
Posted Image

#396 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:01 AM

I was one of the bowman on that boat for a couple years around 2000. It was frustrating watching other Frers 50 going higher and faster all the time. It was fun though.

#397 Delta Sailor

Delta Sailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Sailing of course

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:40 AM

Hey!!!!

I still own a Wylie 34.

The original owner broke the mast a couple of times and got tired of replacing it. The last time he broke it it was above the forestay so he converted the boat to a masthead instead of a frac.

In races against the other W34's we are actually faster up and downwind(don't ask me why).

The really cool thing is that we longer need the runners so the boat is really easy to single/double hand. Goes upwing like a dream.

Attached Files

#398 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:40 AM

That picture looks like "Outlaw", hailing port "OK Coral". The skinny stick is the give-away. Ron Holland design. The subsequent boats had more robust tree trunks installed. Daddy Seth held some sort of marketing position at Ericson for a few years and they turned us teen-ager animals loose on the prototype. I was the old guy at, what? 23 years old? 22? Sledracr, were you on that one? We ended up collecting a bunch of silverware with that sucker. There's a good chance some of us assholes are in that picture.

#399 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:59 AM

That picture looks like "Outlaw", hailing port "OK Coral". The skinny stick is the give-away. Ron Holland design. The subsequent boats had more robust tree trunks installed. Daddy Seth held some sort of marketing position at Ericson for a few years and they turned us teen-ager animals loose on the prototype. I was the old guy at, what? 23 years old? 22? Sledracr, were you on that one? We ended up collecting a bunch of silverware with that sucker. There's a good chance some of us assholes are in that picture.

No, I missed that one. I raced the crap out of a '34 for a couple of years and then jumped to "choate-boats" in '78, just about the time the Holland era began at Ericson.

As an aside, it's funny to think of how many of the major manufacturers were within a few miles of each other back then. between gigs building 'em at Islander, Ericson, P-Squared and Westerly, and gigs putting them together at Bosn's Locker, Pacific Rigging and Transpac Yachts, I shudder to think how much glass and MEKP I inhaled in those years.

#400 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:classic collectible sailing and restoring , confronting the silly.

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:11 PM

Here is the last C&C Custom 43 built by C&C Custom, with a new gelcoat finish being sold by Northshore Marine in Bronte Ontario for $119k Cdn. The interior is in excellent shape and Northshore will happily modify it for the new owner. Anyone with $175 to $200k to spend intelligently will have a great IRC boat that is acknowledged as the best boat ever penned by George Cuthbertson and that is the poster child for restoring an old boat and ignoring new javex bottle faux fat dinghies designed for leeshore racing ie no waves.Attached File  dec 4 10 001.JPG   401.67K   146 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users