31 replies to this topic

#1 usa1234

usa1234

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:06 AM

Have replaced the battery. It is a wired smoke detector. Is the only choice for a good night's sleep to rip it out of the wall? Does the power need to be turned off for that? It's an apartment building, but can't get ahold of management until tomorrow morning. This is second night in a row, help!!!

#2 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:08 AM

Have replaced the battery. It is a wired smoke detector. Is the only choice for a good night's sleep to rip it out of the wall? Does the power need to be turned off for that? It's an apartment building, but can't get ahold of management until tomorrow morning. This is second night in a row, help!!!

it's trying to tell you something ..........................

Quit Smoking :o :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

#3 HobieAnarchy

HobieAnarchy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:34 AM

Pull the cover off. There should be a plug behind it where you can un-plug it.

You might have to take the base plate off the wall to get to it (twist).

Posted Image

Don't blame me if you die in your sleep. :blink:

#4 Vito Scotti

Vito Scotti

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:50 AM

You need to blow the dust and gunk out of the sensor.

Use low pressure air (NOT an air compressor!) to gently blow the stuff out - should be OK then.

#5 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,594 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:54 AM

Posted Image

#6 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:57 AM

If its periodically "chirping" it is probably the back up battery dead/dying. Most hard wired smoke detectors have a battery backup.

If its full alarm mode (loud continual alarm) then it could be dust/spider etc. in the sensor chamber. Remove and blow out or vaccum. If it still alarms its FUBAR. Replace.

If you really can't figure it out, call the non-emergency number of your fire department and ask them to come look at it. They should come out within an hour or so at the most. If its after hours and you can't stand it then call 911 and say your smoke detector is going off and you don't know why.............but be prepared for dirty "you're a dumbass" looks when they arrive. ;)

#7 Mike G

Mike G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:00 AM

Did you happen to have burritos for lunch?

But seriously...
..it's not also a carbon monoxide detector is it?

#8 usa1234

usa1234

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:06 AM

But seriously...

Nope, just a regular smoke detector. It started last night, the battery was taken out, it's been out for over 24 hours, got a new one, still beeping. Tried removing the plug as suggested, but it won't come out! Am seriously considering the fire department... Have resorted to wrapping it in a towel to muzzle the sound and hope that it can get taken care of tomorrow. Wish there was a bat handy!!! I think it's like the backup to the backup to the backup system that is beeping at this point.

#9 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,632 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:07 AM

If you have a volt meter, check the voltage of your replacement
battery. Should have 9 volts there.

They do go out of date on the shelf and some bastards
sell them anyway. Check the connections for corrosion too.

#10 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,632 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:09 AM

But seriously...

Nope, just a regular smoke detector. It started last night, the battery was taken out, it's been out for over 24 hours, got a new one, still beeping. Tried removing the plug as suggested, but it won't come out! Am seriously considering the fire department... Have resorted to wrapping it in a towel to muzzle the sound and hope that it can get taken care of tomorrow. Wish there was a bat handy!!! I think it's like the backup to the backup to the backup system that is beeping at this point.

When you first opened it up, was there no battery in there
but it was chirping anyway?

#11 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:17 AM

remove the dectector from ceiling...un plug it...remove battery...it may still chirp a few more times....relax its not possessed.... replace battery, re install....done

i have these in my home and they are a pita....it needs to be totally dead to reset itself...i.e. no batt, no power...

they store a small bit of power somehow, i know your pain...i learned ths after removing the thing, removing the batt and it still chirped...

if all else fails, and yer wife is fat...have her straddle yer head...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#12 usa1234

usa1234

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:18 AM

But seriously...

No, the battery was taken out to try and stop the chirping last night. Since at that point it didn't matter if it was in or out, left it out for a day and tried a new one tonight. No change. It seems like a hopeless battle at this point, everything has been tried, short of smashing it into a million pieces, don't think the management company would be happy with that one. Need to find some earplugs...

#13 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:26 AM

But seriously...

No, the battery was taken out to try and stop the chirping last night. Since at that point it didn't matter if it was in or out, left it out for a day and tried a new one tonight. No change. It seems like a hopeless battle at this point, everything has been tried, short of smashing it into a million pieces, don't think the management company would be happy with that one. Need to find some earplugs...

get a "Brand New Free" battery

Yes "Free"

you get one with every "New Smoke Alarm"

you can get a Smarter alarm for almost nothing

(compared to loosing your life while thinking the alarm is malfunctioning, till you sit-up into the Smoke)

Surprised P-B didn't suggest it first :wacko:

#14 usa1234

usa1234

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:26 AM

remove the dectector from ceiling...un plug it...remove battery...it may still chirp a few more times....relax its not possessed.... replace battery, re install....done

i have these in my home and they are a pita....it needs to be totally dead to reset itself...i.e. no batt, no power...

they store a small bit of power somehow, i know your pain...i learned ths after removing the thing, removing the batt and it still chirped...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

THANK YOU!!! IT"S DEAD!!!!! Finally was able to get the plug out, took out the battery, it chirped once, then 30 seconds later a really long chirp, and now it's dead!!! Thank you SA!! (For all those concerned, it will be replaced tomorrow)

#15 Jangles13

Jangles13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:41 AM

If the plug won't disconnect from the unit, pull the wires out of the box until you reach the wire nuts (you may have to unscrew a bracket that holds the detector in order to reach the junctions. At your own risk, undo the line side (black wire). Do be careful, removing jewelery from your hands is a good idea... just in case. If you have work gloves, they will also help reduce the risk of an accident. Put the wire nut back on the house side. This is, of course, also dangerous since you no longer have the functioning alarm.

Alternatively, there is an ever so slight possibility that you have a loose connection, so perhaps you want to check that first (gently tug each of the wires on all connections, if one comes out... reconnect it!)

Secondly, since it is hardwired, the circuit maybe off. The way smokes are typically wired is that they share a circuit with something else in the building, such as the kitchen lights, or some other popular circuit. This is to prevent someone from turning the circuit off (while smoking) and forgetting about it. Depending on the age of the building, the detector is likely linked to all others in the building as well (through the yellow or red wire in the box), so consequently you might not know the circuit is off if it is being fed by something outside your unit (or especially if it is an independent circuit).

If you have your own circuit panel, go through and double check that all circuits are on. Do this by going down through and pulling the switches together (two columns of breakers, pull against the opposing). A tripped breaker commonly will not look tripped, but rather will have a slightly different feel from a positive. Obviously, if the panel is properly marked, look for the one listing the smoke detectors.

The recommended life span of a detector is 10yrs. Consider having it replaced if you suspect is older than that.

I am not taking responsibility for any of your actions, nor am I recommending you disconnect your smoke detector. Doing so is strictly your decision.

#16 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:42 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

THANK YOU!!! IT"S DEAD!!!!! Finally was able to get the plug out, took out the battery, it chirped once, then 30 seconds later a really long chirp, and now it's dead!!! Thank you SA!! (For all those concerned, it will be replaced tomorrow)

ahh the death wail of the obnoxious dectector.... feels good no?

i had one in my basement right below my bedroom, took me forever to find the damn thing....chirp....wtf....chirp...WTF?...chirp....JESUS H CHRIST on a pogo stick!!!!.... i removed every damn detector from the home....chirp......SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!! now im enraged....confused, bewildered and tired....chirp...motherfuckinsuckincocksuckinsonofacumguzzlinggutterslut!!!!!!!! i go down to the basement only to be serinaded by the blissfully melodic chirp from hell....i remove said dectector...all is well....CHIRP!......no no no no no not possible.....chirp.....god hates me.....then, the death wail...chirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....rrrrr....rrr.rr.r.p............. there is some sort of predatory bliss that comes over you when you hunt down and kill something...even if it's a smoke dectector.

cheers

#17 Mike G

Mike G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:58 AM

I know you were joking..but don't ever smash those things. There were rumours that there was a SMALL amout of kinda-radioactive stuff in them. I know my father, as a firefighter a few years ago, was protesting the addition of this material. Their concern was that when they burn in a house, it might expose them to that material.
PointBreak...do you have any insight into this? It was Mid 80's I believe. Not sure if it ever happened or not. Urban legend?

#18 TINO

TINO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:29 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sleep well!

#19 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,572 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

Can't believe none of you idiots said this yet...

PUT OUT THE F**KING FIRE MORON!!

;)

#20 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

I know you were joking..but don't ever smash those things. There were rumours that there was a SMALL amout of kinda-radioactive stuff in them. I know my father, as a firefighter a few years ago, was protesting the addition of this material. Their concern was that when they burn in a house, it might expose them to that material.
PointBreak...do you have any insight into this? It was Mid 80's I believe. Not sure if it ever happened or not. Urban legend?

There are basically two technologies used in smoke detectors to detect smoke. Ionization and photoelectric. The ionization uses a minute amount of a radioactive material (americium 241) to cause electrical current to flow across two plates. Smoke coats the plates and reduces or interupts the current flow and the alarm sounds. The photoelectric uses a very small light source and receiver that smoke particles would physically obstruct (kinda like your garage door opener uses an uninterupted beam shot across the bottom of the opening to ensure there are no obstructions in order to close) to accomplish the same thing. Both work. The radioactive element is shielded by a small chamber such that no radiation escapes and at any rate even if the chamber is breeched by damage the primary particles emitted are alpha particles which would only travel a few centimeters the experts tell us. Thus the only hazard - as minimal as it is - is if you breeched the chamber and were close enough (centimeters) to inhale the particles. In the case of a smoke detector burning it is theoretically possible that those particles would be carried further than those few centimeters by the smoke and extend the dangerous area in which you could breath in the particles by breathing in the smoke. On this basis, there was some objection to its use in the industry a while back but it was dismissed by the experts as being so minimal as to be almost zero. I think that's probably correct.

#21 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

Try one of these:

Linky

#22 43577

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

This is second night in a row, help!!!

Shy didin't you take care of it the first time?

#23 HobieAnarchy

HobieAnarchy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:37 PM

There are basically two technologies used in smoke detectors to detect smoke. Ionization and photoelectric. The ionization uses a minute amount of a radioactive material (americium 241) to cause electrical current to flow across two plates. Smoke coats the plates and reduces or interupts the current flow and the alarm sounds. The photoelectric uses a very small light source and receiver that smoke particles would physically obstruct (kinda like your garage door opener uses an uninterupted beam shot across the bottom of the opening to ensure there are no obstructions in order to close) to accomplish the same thing. Both work. The radioactive element is shielded by a small chamber such that no radiation escapes and at any rate even if the chamber is breeched by damage the primary particles emitted are alpha particles which would only travel a few centimeters the experts tell us. Thus the only hazard - as minimal as it is - is if you breeched the chamber and were close enough (centimeters) to inhale the particles. In the case of a smoke detector burning it is theoretically possible that those particles would be carried further than those few centimeters by the smoke and extend the dangerous area in which you could breath in the particles by breathing in the smoke. On this basis, there was some objection to its use in the industry a while back but it was dismissed by the experts as being so minimal as to be almost zero. I think that's probably correct.

What you've said is correct, but you should read this:

The Radioactive Boy Scout

I short, the dumf**k took a whole bunch of smoke detectors (bought 100 defective ones for $1 each), extracted the americium 241 and built a neutron gun (really easy). He took 1000s of Coleman lantern mantles (a souce of thorium 232) and was determined to make a WORKING NUCLEAR REACTOR in a SHED IN HIS BACK YARD!

When his Geiger counter started picking up radiation from five houses away, he started freaking out. Before he could do anything though, he was busted stealing tires and the cops found a bunch of suspicious stuff in the trunk of his car. That prompted this:

Posted Image

It all went down about 2 miles from where I live now. :blink:

#24 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:01 AM

Here is the answer to your problem. The detector wants a good, working battery. So what is wrong?

You put the new battery in backwards. No shit. I had this same problem, was sure I put it in the right way and when I really studied it hard, I found it was in backwards - which made it believe it was low voltage (actually negative voltage) causing it to chirp.

Try again.

#25 ZAR

ZAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts
  • Location:Sail Cleveland!!!... "our rivers hardly ever catch on fire anymore"
  • Interests:Sailing YOUR boat, drinking YOUR beer

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

4 years of technical customer support has taught me never to underestimate how stupid people can be, so the first question I must ask
"is your house on fire?"

#26 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

4 years of technical customer support has taught me never to underestimate how stupid people can be, so the first question I must ask
"is your house on fire?"

Hmmmmmmmm

I did make an assumption here but ZAR has a good point..............perhaps I should mention...........

Smoke detectors, esp. the ionization type are able to detect products of combustion long before there is visable smoke or even smoke you could smell easily. Over the years, there are incidents I have been to where we are called because the smoke detector won't stop alarming "for no reason" and upon a diligent search we find an actual smoldering fire. Usually these are electrical problems causing heat or heater/chimney vents that are overly hot and near exposed combustible wood etc. I have found 2x4's and 2x6's charred almost completely through over long periods of time and been to fires where the origin was obviously something smoldering that finally got enough air/heat to break into open flame.

So - important distinction.......intermitent "chirping" is never an indication that a smoke detector is detecting smoke. It means there is something wrong with the detector - 99.99% percent of the time that is a battery. If any smoke detector is detecting smoke, it "alarms"....which is very very loud and continuous - it is intentionally obnoxious and nonstop so long as there is power to the detector. Persistent alarming means you need to do a diligent check of your house and the detector and if you cannot find anything and the detector won't give it up and are uncomfortable still.....call the fire department, we don't mind coming out and helping you sort through that. Much much better than disabling the detector and having the smoldering fire transition to an actual dangerous fire while you're peacefully sleeping.

Chirp = battery
Alarm = check diligently

#27 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:04 AM

OK, I'll buy new batteries and fit them just in case, but this isn't the chirp once a minute that indicates a flat battery, in my case the alarm sounds long enough to wake me (maybe 5 - 10 seconds) then goes silent again. Only to repeat several times during the night. The detectors are hard-wired with battery backup and are maybe 18 months old. They have a green LED indicating power is OK and a red LED - alarm? The green LED is on 100%, the red LED flicks on briefly about every 35 seconds.

The first night the alarm played up (no, there was no fire), I tried disabling the units by opening the cover (swings down and opens the contacts). However, the devious bastards who designed these things were on top of that. I get back to bed only to have the bloody things chirp (once each) about every 2 minutes - clearly objecting to the "open contact" status.

So, it's back out of bed again, take a soft brush and brush the entire insides of the devices, close them back up and lo, sleep. Only to have the alarm sound again the next night.

Any suggestions? If they alarm again tonight I may very well burn the house down!

Thanks

#28 liquorpig

liquorpig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Interests:Rum, Sailing w/ Rum, short girls on stillts.

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:07 AM

OK, I'll buy new batteries and fit them just in case, but this isn't the chirp once a minute that indicates a flat battery, in my case the alarm sounds long enough to wake me (maybe 5 - 10 seconds) then goes silent again. Only to repeat several times during the night. The detectors are hard-wired with battery backup and are maybe 18 months old. They have a green LED indicating power is OK and a red LED - alarm? The green LED is on 100%, the red LED flicks on briefly about every 35 seconds.

The first night the alarm played up (no, there was no fire), I tried disabling the units by opening the cover (swings down and opens the contacts). However, the devious bastards who designed these things were on top of that. I get back to bed only to have the bloody things chirp (once each) about every 2 minutes - clearly objecting to the "open contact" status.

So, it's back out of bed again, take a soft brush and brush the entire insides of the devices, close them back up and lo, sleep. Only to have the alarm sound again the next night.

Any suggestions? If they alarm again tonight I may very well burn the house down!

Thanks

Burn It,-- Burn It,-- Burn It,---------------------------

#29 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:46 AM

hmm, my dog, at least when he could hear (he might still be able to hear a smoke detector) used to freak the fuck out when those things would go off. Worse than during a thunderstorm. For a 12year old 15lb over weight mutt, he'd jump to his feet like a cat and sprint from one side of the house (or apartment as the case was at one point..ran out of runway quick that time...) then eventually jump in someones bed, often mine, and lay on top of you, all 90lb's, shaking for about an hour after the last chirp. Kind of sad and pathetic, but funny at the same time... im not a bad person - i swear...

#30 Peragrin

Peragrin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:03 AM

If the picture above is your unit they are probably interconnected (orange wire is a connection between units). the chirping unit is the one without a good battery however, it may not be the unit that is setting off the alarm that is waking you.

Go to the store (walmart target whatever) the electronics section has canned air. give all the units a good cleaning. If it is still doing a random alarm at night, disconnect one unit at a time to figure otu which one is setting things off.

The real way is to walk around when they are going off and find the unit with the blinky red light. That is the unit to hit with the baseball bat. please remove it from the ceiling first as your wife will be really pissed about the hole in the ceiling that needs patching. Just remember to search all of them. Every bedroom, upstairs, down stairs, basement, etc find them all. My money is the unit in the kitchen or garage is going off.

That or your kid is smoking something and are dumb enough to keep doing it after you go to bed.

#31 Just Bob

Just Bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:04 AM

Thanks

If your renting I would contact the rental mob and tell them that there is a fault in the smoke alarm system, if they dont act then get an electrician in to sort it out and get them to charge it to the said company, as it should be consider as an emergency repair.

If you own the place get on to the body Corp. But as smoke detectors are 'inside' its likely your problem.

#32 plchacker

plchacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:11 AM

Roll another doobie... it'll be alright.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users