265 replies to this topic

#101 HNL2ORD

HNL2ORD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:43 AM

It looks that Flash Gordon is hugging the Wisconsin coast and has not pulled the trigger to cross yet.

Well it's either zero or hero for them, currently in last place in Section 2

It would appear that at least for the moment "Hero" apploes as they are doing 8.0 while the fleet is doing 0.8-ouch

You will note that I did say "FOR THE MOMENT" because as we all know, Mac weather always makes things interesting and this "flyer" gives it a twist for conversation. It will be interesting

#102 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:49 AM

any one know what happened to Fast Tango? How did the cruising fleet get so far a head, wow

No problem on board - wrapped a line around prop - boat flying :)

#103 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:27 AM

Clean have you seen or heard of where PEERLESS is on the lake?
I'm stuck here at home, getting ready to fly south and trying to figure out home my guys on SATURN are doing.
From the tracker Saturn is just south of the Farr 40's

#104 us2

us2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:31 AM

Rhumb Runner Rocks! Go girls!

Celestial 1st in Section 10... Excellent. Keep it up.

Thanks, Clean, for another year of fantastic reporting.

#105 Rupe

Rupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:53 AM

Burnsey on Heat Wave in doublehanded class reports: some really good runs and some really, really slow crap. Parked again, off Little Sable. Enjoying cheesy mashed taters.

#106 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:06 AM

I was so depressed I had to miss the race this year, but it looks like an air show with my kids beats cold and slow.

#107 ceres

ceres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:42 AM

Clean have you seen or heard of where PEERLESS is on the lake?
I'm stuck here at home, getting ready to fly south and trying to figure out home my guys on SATURN are doing.
From the tracker Saturn is just south of the Farr 40's

I've been watching Saturn, they got off to an okay start but have been in around 10th place in the section since last night. As I interpret the scratchsheet the boat to catch is Spirit Walker. Of course if Flash G finishes 10 hours before everyone else it's a moot point, that boat has ALL the wind right now.

#108 Clogster

Clogster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:43 AM

Those pictures make it looks sooo painfull.

#109 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:59 AM

If zoom goes inside the islands they will give back everything they gained.

#110 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

And another reshuffle! We passed the boats outside but the boats on shore picked up the ESE a bit quicker, now they're slow ahead between betsy and pyramid point and we're marching up to them with kite and staysail. We're missing our screahcer right now, but moving nicely between 5.6 and 6.2. Sunrise is going to be spectacular; I forgot how amazingly clear it can be out on this lake...

#111 dcbsheb

dcbsheb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

If zoom goes inside the islands they will give back everything they gained.

Zoom appears to be heading between N. Manitou and S. Fox Island, but where is Flash Gordon going? I know that you can go north of Beaver Island. Has anyone ever heard of someone actually doing it? It gets pretty shallow up there unless you go all the way around Garden Island as well.

#112 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:48 AM

It will be interesting to see how flash gordon gets to the gate at grays reef.

#113 Rupe

Rupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

At least there are ripples on the water this morning!

#114 dcbsheb

dcbsheb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

It will be interesting to see how flash gordon gets to the gate at grays reef.

According to the SI's you don't have to go through the entrance to Gray's Reef if you pass West of Beaver Island.

#115 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:34 PM

A little fun passing mad dog 570 and da boyz on Farr 40 solution just at the entrance to the manitous. A few Nice Pair alum aboard that one, gave 'em a call just as the breeze went from sweet to non existent. Down to 1.5 knots of boatspeed under code zero, guys up ahead aren't doing much better but we sure did get passed by a few last night. Oh, well.

The good news is that it is warm! The other good news is that I finally got rid of that beef stroganoff that had been weighing me down since sat night.

Smelly boat, smelly boat
What are they feeding you?

#116 WxRouting.com

WxRouting.com

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Weather

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

Today's Forecast: The BUBBLE.

Current weather on MAC island is lovely. Warm, sunny, spectacular sunrise through the real time island cams and absolutely glassy. It has been "calm" since early last night. Various cams from around the lake provide a similar view and similar conditions. If you like to water ski, today would be an epic day to go for a few runs. Especially in the middle of the lake.

For those of you clawing your way up the hill I can provide little relief to you in the way of wind to get you to the party on time. Many of the racers are 100+ miles from the finish and making about 6 knots. If they can carry that for the next 14 hours then they should get to the island about 10 AM tomorrow as the shut down tonight could be complete again. A 30.2 massive high is comfortably resting directly over head and it shows little sign of going anywhere until sometime late Wednesday. The rule for the day:

Calibrate your depth finder, double check your charts, pull the daggerboards up if you have the ability to do so and stay near the shore as best possible because that thermal is about all the wind you are going to see for the rest of this race. The good news? That makes it a reach pretty much all the way to the barn. Waterline will be king and there is little in the way of strategy here other than keep your crew hydrated and happy and focus on boat speed. When it shuts down this evening I have little hope that there will be much in the way of breeze if you haven't pulled up at the dock by the time the orange ball in the west sets tonight.

#117 boswell

boswell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:J-22, misc PHRF boats, IC-24

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

Key phrase.....Massive HIGH...not going anywhere until Wednesday.....UGH.....

#118 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:47 PM

Congrats to Dogdayz, first to the island.

#119 RtWL

RtWL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:57 PM

Yawn.

#120 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

Conversations heard on board:

Mark: No offense, but FUCK YOU! It wasn't me, but some of the boys want to shoot the messenger. It is total and complete glass out here except for a tiny ribbon on shore just strong enough to fill the kites of a lucky few. We watched the shock 40 lightning sail up the shore with a HUGE kite and then stop. Thought it was The Peerless was similar kite proportions. Been trying to get to the beach for 2 hours, made about a mile. Fuck all GPRS coverage out here regardless of what sig smblifiers I use, next year a big satellite for sure. And given this experience, maybe on a 60' hatteras.

#121 Fly Master

Fly Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

Mark: No offense, but FUCK YOU! It wasn't me, but some of the boys want to shoot the messenger. It is total and complete glass out here except for a tiny ribbon on shore just strong enough to fill the kites of a lucky few. We watched the shock 40 lightning sail up the shore with a HUGE kite and then stop. Thought it was The Peerless was similar kite proportions. Been trying to get to the beach for 2 hours, made about a mile. Fuck all GPRS coverage out here regardless of what sig smblifiers I use, next year a big satellite for sure. And given this experience, maybe on a 60' hatteras.

Still have to say ... on a boat in Lake Michigan beats the heck out of the office 100 out of 100 times. Persevere ladies and gents. They will still have rum and ice on the isl ... recommend passing on the mixers as you'll need your meds straight.

#122 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

Other conversations:
"Gary's got a great beach house a few miles from here."

"Let's beach it and go take showers and get a good rest, and then we can hop on in the morning, jump aboard and keep going.
It's not like anyone's going anywhere."

Mer is reading trivia from an iPhone app.

"A roach can live up to nine days without it's head"

#123 660

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

Still have to say ... on a boat in Lake Michigan beats the heck out of the office 100 out of 100 times. Persevere ladies and gents. They will still have rum and ice on the isl ... recommend passing on the mixers as you'll need your meds straight.

Not sure I agree. Sitting here in my office thinking about what I am going to order for lunch and reading about everyone drifting their way to Mack makes me remember why I stopped doing that race.

#124 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

On starboard gybe with the m24 kite again, manitou passage is clogged with boats moving for 30 seconds, stopped for 20 minutes.

I have been here before...

Good news is that no one is really moving. Bad news is numerous. Mer and whirly are fixing screecher delam with all the tape on the boat.

#125 CaptnPea

CaptnPea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

Not sure I agree. Sitting here in my office thinking about what I am going to order for lunch and reading about everyone drifting their way to Mack makes me remember why I stopped doing that race.

Not me the office still sucks more than not being there... Some of the comedy that come out of a High.... pressure is surely priceless.

#126 Road Goddess

Road Goddess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

Hey Clean,

Tell Blain that Iíve redone the bedroom Ė and now have my sights on redoing the bathroom. At the rate youíre going, I may have time to redo the man cave.

xoxroadgoddess

#127 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,648 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

"A roach can live up to nine days without it's head"

I've brought roaches back to life after more than 9 days. Wait. Um... Forget I said anything.

#128 WxRouting.com

WxRouting.com

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Weather

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

Having a hard time sorting out what the wind is doing around the lake?

There is a useful (FREE AND PUBLIC) site on the net that you may find useful.

Go to WxRouting.com to learn more. Most wind speeds are in Meters Per Second.
(Scroll down from the intro to view)

#129 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

Comedy aside, go check out http://www.twitter.com/OTWAnarchy for some pics of a truly stellar sail repair job. Can't post em here, still have bandwidth issues.

#130 Shife

Shife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

its fucking hot out here. I would pay in excess of $100 for a cold case of beer right now

#131 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

300 sheep and 1 Shepard. How is it that only Flash Gordon saw the round the outside route as the way to go?

#132 Shife

Shife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

300 sheep and 1 Shepard. How is it that only Flash Gordon saw the round the outside route as the way to go?

aren't you sitting at home on your ass, Mr ArmChairQuarterback?

#133 Fly Master

Fly Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

Conventional Wisdom is often neither.

#134 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:19 PM

You know me. Mr. windward/leeward.

Keep swatting them bugs and drinking warm beer.

Edit; BTW, I'm sure you don't want to be reminded that Burnsy is 10 miles ahead of you. :P

#135 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,845 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

its fucking hot out here. I would pay in excess of $100 for a cold case of beer right now

Shoulda asked earlier. I could've delivered while you were passing Portage Lake.
Is a cold case o'beer considered outside assistance?

#136 Shife

Shife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

You know me. Mr. windward/leeward.

Keep swatting them bugs and drinking warm beer.

Edit; BTW, I'm sure you don't want to be reminded that Burnsy is 10 miles ahead of you. :P

Har har...

the Wave is smokin fast. I wonder who the BN is?

#137 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

Road Goddess: He's sleeping after a long stint at the helm.

We reached in and got headed to the beach as we got to the end of the passage. Were going to go nice and close til we noticed throught 50 ft visibility that the bottom was rocky and jagged. Tacked out, through 120 degrees (yay cats...) Crossed behind a shock 40 and Gamera (fucker), but now we're going hunting again. TWS: 10 knots. TWD 20-25 degrees. Boatspeed: 9.5

Yay cats.

#138 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

Go Gamera!!! F Boats are pulling away in the light upwind

#139 SaboJ35

SaboJ35

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

It may be too early to say, but between the 2 that went up the Wisconsin Shore, Flash Gordon and Zoom, I think Zoom is the one who got it right...

#140 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

Fuck. This blows. While we are moving along nicely at 8 knots, hard on the wind on port and pointed at charlevoix, it is frustrating to have Gamera way ahead of us, and lucretia and moxie way up at beaver island, according to the three seconds of tracker I could run before it crapped out on me. We were crossing tacks with saturn and a shock 40 a couple of hours ago but unless its blowing 15 and we can get a hull out of the water oour speed doesn't make up for the extra 20 degrees we give away going upwind. Now comes the big debate. Go fast on rhumb or bear off and hoist more sail headed to the beach. Problem is that at this speed we will get to the beach to find nothing but the mouth of little traverse bay. Ugh.

Wind is NNW@10. Cold as shit again. Where's that nice southerly we were promised??

Hollywood called; looks like Saturn may have to blow off the super, owner's gotta catch a plane. Wonder who else is staying the course and who bailing?

#141 1sailor

1sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • Interests:'SuperFly' Audi / Melges 20

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:47 PM

I don't like this thing with sending a 'cruising division' up there a day ahead of the race boats. Surprising no comments on that so far here at SA.

Are not 1/2 the Mac 'race boats' really cruiser/ racer boats anyhow ? Aside from stealing the allure of "first to the island" for the big race boats in future years, I can already here joe cruiser, back at the office ...."yeah, we finished about an hour behind Windquest, and.. just in front of the Vincitore team for new zealand, and...."

#142 HNL2ORD

HNL2ORD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

It may be too early to say, but between the 2 that went up the Wisconsin Shore, Flash Gordon and Zoom, I think Zoom is the one who got it right...

yeah...very interesting...Sec 2 & 3 boats finishing with the GL70's.

Wonder if any boats without transponders went up that side?

#143 skew

skew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

How can some boats get away with not having transponders? Seems utterly lame to me that some boats get to be in stealth mode. Is use of the transponder optional? Every race I do with transponders, every boat is mandated to have one.

#144 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

I think it is a damn good thing they got cruisers involved.. how can getting more boats out there racing and spending money be a bad thing? so what if they go back to the office the people that really care and know will know that they started a day ahead of time

#145 Rupe

Rupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

Having cruisers start a day early is an awesome idea. It's not like they can do a shorter course as with the Bayview Mac. Congrats to the committee or person that came up with the idea!

#146 Batman

Batman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

I think it is a damn good thing they got cruisers involved.. how can getting more boats out there racing and spending money be a bad thing? so what if they go back to the office the people that really care and know will know that they started a day ahead of time

not to mention that in non-drift years, they'd all hit the island about the same time anyways.
this year just sucked because the wind died about 12-18 hrs after the cruisers left, and hasn't come back to push the fleet closer together. it's like 2007 again.

#147 Batman

Batman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:55 PM

Having cruisers start a day early is an awesome idea. It's not like they can do a shorter course as with the Bayview Mac. Congrats to the committee or person that came up with the idea!

I agree. It's a brilliant idea to expand it to the cruisers - so what if they left a day early to be able to (in non-drifting years) hit the island roughly the same time as the racers.

My thought was that with unemployment as high as it is in both IL and MI, why not capitalize on that to get more people involved and interested. Match up people willing and able with boats/crews that will take on n00bs and give them exposure to the sport.

#148 HNL2ORD

HNL2ORD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:06 PM

How can some boats get away with not having transponders? Seems utterly lame to me that some boats get to be in stealth mode. Is use of the transponder optional? Every race I do with transponders, every boat is mandated to have one.

limited number of transponders and bandwidth, also, I suppose...remember that there are @350 boats in this race

#149 cdose

cdose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:18 PM

Does anybody know if the plans are to still fininsh the Super-Mac?? With current forcasts, it will be tough for anyone to finish within the time constraints.

#150 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:28 PM

Does anybody know if the plans are to still fininsh the Super-Mac?? With current forcasts, it will be tough for anyone to finish within the time constraints.

(this is clean, of course)

Oh ye of little faith! While this sucks donkey balls, at least we are all:

a) Moving
B) Full of food
c) loaded with hard drives full of porn
d) headed to Port Huron anyway

We're still in, and at the moment, going 8 knots to the NE tacking out of Little Traverse Bay...and then turning back again. We like the shore, and Mer had to say to Andersen a few times already: "No more last nights. We stay with the shore breeze no matter how long it takes to fill."

Funny how that works; you gain 2 knots of boatspeed to stay a little offshore, then give us 20 miles when the guys inside you are going 6 knots for 4 hours while you are going 0.8

I've got signal for a while gonna try to get some vids up!

#151 sailinAZ

sailinAZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:43 PM

I don't like this thing with sending a 'cruising division' up there a day ahead of the race boats. Surprising no comments on that so far here at SA.

Are not 1/2 the Mac 'race boats' really cruiser/ racer boats anyhow ? Aside from stealing the allure of "first to the island" for the big race boats in future years, I can already here joe cruiser, back at the office ...."yeah, we finished about an hour behind Windquest, and.. just in front of the Vincitore team for new zealand, and...."

How is that all that much different than, say Transpac? Maybe 'cause real race boats have sprits and poles and cruisers tack their kites to the bow, but they still sail the same course. I know, I know...fuck off newb

#152 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:53 PM

Finally! This is Saturday.

Sunday Early Morning:

#153 cdose

cdose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:12 AM

I see that Saturn has retired. Any news on why?

#154 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:19 AM

I see that Saturn has retired. Any news on why?

I am betting to much slow and cold.

#155 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:22 AM

Sunday Sunrise Report:

#156 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:24 AM

Read up a bit Viking; Owner's gotta catch a plane on business. I don't think Wally would quit if he could avoid it, but when Windquest gets to the island on Monday afternoon, all bets are off.

Boatspeed on Nice Pair: 14-17 knots. Fucking rolling. Video to come.

Sunday Morning Report:

#157 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:26 AM

Read up a bit Viking; Owner's gotta catch a plane on business. I don't think Wally would quit if he could avoid it, but when Windquest gets to the island on Monday afternoon, all bets are off.

Boatspeed on Nice Pair: 14-17 knots. Fucking rolling. Video to come.

Sunday Morning Report:

oops, yeah I did see that, my bad.

#158 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:44 AM

Do they still have you call in at the 45th?

#159 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:53 AM

As out signal fades and my 14 knot sunset update loads, I need to get up there and make this boat fly. I am pretty sure I can see Natalie J directly ahead of me about 8 miles. We are going 10 and she is not. Comin' for my bottle, Bora!

Check out the http://www.youtube.com/blocksail page, hopefully the video will make itself shown soon!

#160 Slim

Slim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Interests:Your mom.

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:13 AM

Also having the cruisers leave Friday means that if they get there a bit early, they can move them over to St. Ignace to make more room on the island. And the Mac has a pretty good family component to it, and this make that more of option for folks with less racy boats.

#161 Batman

Batman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:43 AM

Also having the cruisers leave Friday means that if they get there a bit early, they can move them over to St. Ignace to make more room on the island. And the Mac has a pretty good family component to it, and this make that more of option for folks with less racy boats.

Excellent point.

#162 CaptnPea

CaptnPea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:47 AM

Man... watching my boys stuck in the Manitoues is painfull... come on wind...

#163 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:54 AM

Man... watching my boys stuck in the Manitoues is painfull... come on wind...

The last time I was able to do this race we were stuck there next to Nice Pair for hours. They retired and we went on to finish second in class.

#164 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:56 AM

You have to love how Zoom has made going north of the Manitous work. If you map it out its not any longer yet few go that way.

#165 CaptnPea

CaptnPea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:57 AM

Ya never know what is going to happen... stick with it and see, or go drink rum in a few hours. One thing good about 000's is that at least you can jump overboard and clean up some.

#166 CaptnPea

CaptnPea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:01 AM

Hey Clean...
Out of Bakehouse bread yet?

#167 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:01 AM

Ya never know what is going to happen... stick with it and see, or go drink rum in a few hours. One thing good about 000's is that at least you can jump overboard and clean up some.

Been there, done that.

#168 Fly Master

Fly Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:14 AM

You have to love how Zoom has made going north of the Manitous work. If you map it out its not any longer yet few go that way.

Zoom finishes with an 8 hr + lead ... Nice work Pete

#169 RtWL

RtWL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:24 AM

21 boats have finished. Less than half the 70's and Merlin is still out there. Only one Sec. 1 boat. And overall winner is Zoom by an hour plus. Go left is the answer. Go all the way left is not quite the answer for Helmut and Flash. Wow. Quite the race.

And yet a snoozer.

North of the Mani's is good. Fox cut has worked for me in the past.

#170 CPJIII

CPJIII

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:44 AM

It was fun to watch zoom win it...they have corrected out by over 8 + HRS on 2nd right now, can you say time to get drunk!!!

#171 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:48 AM

It was fun to watch zoom win it...they have corrected out by over 8 + HRS on 2nd right now, can you say time to get drunk!!!

Very much so! With so few boats in the Pink Pony will be so empty.

#172 CPJIII

CPJIII

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:53 AM

Very much so! With so few boats in the Pink Pony will be so empty.

The buzz that there team must be feeling right now will last a couple of weeks with out booze, but it never hurts to walk in the Pony knowing you won with no boats on the dock...dont know if they felt the same way when there were passing Door County yesterday, but talk about an exciting race for one boat at least this year...

#173 Skull & Bones

Skull & Bones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:26 AM

Looks like Sec. 7 boats are dropping out now.........

#174 LateNite

LateNite

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:45 AM

I was checking boat speeds of some of the boats down in the Manitous and they are back under 1 knot. On the good news front it looks like they have about 10 knots of breeze in the Straights right now

#175 Shife

Shife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:49 AM

a whopping 2.4kts of boatspeed after another driftfest for 7 hrs.

this tub needs a light air asym like i need a beer.

#176 Skull & Bones

Skull & Bones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:51 AM

Flags up for grabs as boats start dropping out. Stay with it.

#177 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:52 AM

Why does the goddamned wind always have to blow right up the straits? You know, every single mac race, either direction, has ended in a beat for me. Not so fun when you have to sail more than 2 miles for evry one! Natalie J is apparently under the bridge, and we are in chase. But if the wind doesn't free up it will be a long night and morning. We've been beating in 8 knots sailing 9, but the section 1 and 2 boats with long waterlines are pointing 20 degreed higher and +nly a knot slower.

Skipped dinner today, everyone was pretty beat after an exacting first half of the race. We cross the line at mack in a few hours, then assuming we are not becalmed in the infamous passage, we restart onward to cheap drinks at the port huron yacht club.

G'night!

Going to catch some rest!

#178 Shife

Shife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:02 AM

Supermac will be a longshot for many. we're hoping to just finish chicago at this point. Lots can change on this lake. we have a shitpile of food. running low on drinks though. will be switching to lake water soon. burnsy and ziggy are doing quite well considering the wave's distaste for light air. Hats off to em

#179 ChiGuy

ChiGuy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:05 AM

Zoom finishes with an 8 hr + lead ... Nice work Pete

+1

George too!

#180 RtWL

RtWL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:10 AM

Why does the goddamned wind always have to blow right up the straits? You know, every single mac race, either direction, has ended in a beat for me. Not so fun when you have to sail more than 2 miles for evry one! Natalie J is apparently under the bridge, and we are in chase. But if the wind doesn't free up it will be a long night and morning. We've been beating in 8 knots sailing 9, but the section 1 and 2 boats with long waterlines are pointing 20 degreed higher and +nly a knot slower.

Skipped dinner today, everyone was pretty beat after an exacting first half of the race. We cross the line at mack in a few hours, then assuming we are not becalmed in the infamous passage, we restart onward to cheap drinks at the port huron yacht club.

G'night!

Rest? Seems like a driver killer race. Crews are sitting on the cabin top eating pringles and squirt cheese and getting tan. Drivers willl need a week off after this one. Crew and media people should be well rested after it's over. (Mom and Pop cell service doesn't allow uploads- even on the island) Even my body coulda done this one. Is there a spinal cord damage division?

Sorry Clean- nobody's tossing sympathy your way. We'd all like to be there. And you're in the thick of it living like a 'rock star', your drifting beats my couch any day.

#181 RtWL

RtWL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:58 AM

Hey- Wake up! The race just got interesting. Sec 1 is finishing

#182 RtWL

RtWL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:06 AM

Nice Pair went under the bridge at 1:42 EST

Cheekee Monkee and Lucretia are already finished.

#183 RtWL

RtWL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:22 AM

Shhhhh- Clean is sleeping.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

Big Country the first Saing Anarchy Yacht Club entry cleared the bridge at 1:54

Raven with anarchist Blubberboy finished at 1:06 ( lock the Pony- oh shit)
Grinder and Goblin rolled in at 12:43

And of course the Brew City kids on Main Street, Promo, Scout and Merlin.

#184 RtWL

RtWL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:47 AM

Somebody wake up Clean and Mer. They finished the first leg at 1:32 and are currently in first for the multis. Time for the long slog down the other side.

Hey, this OTW Anarchy's not so bad, It's like I'm blogging from my front porch in the middle of the night. I can't believe I get paid for this. How do you like your eggs, Clean? Coffee? Juice?

Watches are four on four off. Updates?

#185 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

Call me crazy, but it looks like we won the multihull section of the Chicago-Mackinac Race!

http://www.cycraceto...com/results.cfm

#186 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

G'night!

Rest? Seems like a driver killer race. Crews are sitting on the cabin top eating pringles and squirt cheese and getting tan. Drivers willl need a week off after this one. Crew and media people should be well rested after it's over. (Mom and Pop cell service doesn't allow uploads- even on the island) Even my body coulda done this one. Is there a spinal cord damage division?

Sorry Clean- nobody's tossing sympathy your way. We'd all like to be there. And you're in the thick of it living like a 'rock star', your drifting beats my couch any day.

Pringles? Fuck, not on this boat. We eat better than that.

Sorry for the late update. Video and pics coming your way, I woke up to another delaminating sail, then spent 3 hours driving under severely underpowered rig while Whirly worked with tape, thread, and gumption and got her back together. Tacking through 130 degrees in 4 knots of breeze with 3 feet of swell out of Lake Huron is no fucking fun, but winning the race is some consolation!

For reference sake, it took two hours to beat past bois blanc. Though at least I didn't get stuck in irons again.

#187 dcbsheb

dcbsheb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:01 AM

It appears as though the two fastest monohulls, Evolution and Defiance, have stopped at the island. I wonder if they were hoping to be in Port Huron by now. Not a good weather year for a Super-Mac. So far only 5 boats are east of the Chi-Mac finish

#188 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:01 AM

This was the Monday morning action:

#189 TBomber

TBomber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:25 AM

Just an FYI for all... the SuperMac finish committee is ready and waiting (and waiting and waiting) at Vantage Point in Port Huron! I'm glad that a number a boats are sticking with it and fighting through these shitty conditions! Congrats Clean (tell Bruce the same)... it appears the boy's from Natalie J made out well... another note... Jay Gillispie on his first race with his new boat Fine Line took a third in Section 1!! Good Luck getting down the Lake will be waiting here at PHYC!! The $1 Stroh's is cold...

Tyson

#190 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:36 AM

A few pics before we lose signal again. Fog bank on the Michigan shore, tacking out...

Attached Thumbnails

• 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK17.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK16.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK15.jpg

#191 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

Tyson, Mr. Commodore, brother: thanks from all of us! We will need some very cheap drinks in hopefully a very short time. Still stuck in the fucking straits right now. What looks like Fine Line is starting to claw up to us, maybe 4 or 5 miles astern. We've been with those guys for fucking ages now, it's funny how when you're racing multi against mono how you pass the same boats six times.

See you soon.

#192 ChiGuy

ChiGuy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

Looks like Asylum may have won the mac Cup division... even better corrected time than Zoom. Didn't have a transponder, so I presume the too stayed on the western shore. Go 105s!

Would love to hear why Zoom crossed the lake when the did.

#193 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:06 PM

Looks like Asylum may have won the mac Cup division... even better corrected time than Zoom. Didn't have a transponder, so I presume the too stayed on the western shore. Go 105s!

Would love to hear why Zoom crossed the lake when the did.

My guess would be that they figured going north of Beaver was just to far even with better wind.

#194 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

Just an FYI for all... the SuperMac finish committee is ready and waiting (and waiting and waiting) at Vantage Point in Port Huron! I'm glad that a number a boats are sticking with it and fighting through these shitty conditions! Congrats Clean (tell Bruce the same)... it appears the boy's from Natalie J made out well... another note... Jay Gillispie on his first race with his new boat Fine Line took a third in Section 1!! Good Luck getting down the Lake will be waiting here at PHYC!! The $1 Stroh's is cold...

Tyson

Signing off for a bit while we try to keep the boat moving in 1-2 knots of easterly. Yep, you heard me right.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK14.jpg

#195 RtWL

RtWL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:24 PM

it's funny how when you're racing multi against mono how you pass the same boats six times.

Funny how the multis hang on, too. Kinda like T10s in the middle of the night.

#196 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

My Iboat page lost 4 of the 5 boats east of the island. :angry:

#197 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:45 PM

My Iboat page lost 4 of the 5 boats east of the island. :angry:

You have to use the Supermac tracking. http://maps.iboattra..._scope=Supermac

#198 TBomber

TBomber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

<br />Tyson, Mr. Commodore, brother: thanks from all of us! We will need some very cheap drinks in hopefully a very short time. Still stuck in the fucking straits right now. What looks like Fine Line is starting to claw up to us, maybe 4 or 5 miles astern. We've been with those guys for fucking ages now, it's funny how when you're racing multi against mono how you pass the same boats six times.<br /><br />See you soon.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

We'll be waiting! I have a feeling there is going to be one hell of a party on Thursday night... that or everyone is going to sleep for two days! People are getting pretty pumped here in POHO... I can tell you this there will be one hell of a welcoming at PHYC for all finishers of this damn race (no matter what time!). Keep it rolling Clean, Bruce and the gang and make sure those guys on Fine Line haven't gotten into the "Rum"... look forward to seeing everyone in a couple of hours / days!

For anyone coming up here early the finish of the SuperMac is right at the mouth of the Black River... the RC will be stationed there starting tonight (well they have been there since yesterday afternoon)... it would be awesome to give all these competitors a great welcome when they hit the finish!

#199 skew

skew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

I once finished a supermac in Pt Huron Thursday at 4 PM if you can believe that. I think it was '82. After we finished we had to pull the boat over in Sarnia to fix a large hole in the bottom. Long story. We on our way back to Mackinac Saturday afternoon.

#200 dyslexic dog

dyslexic dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

Right now it shows a J105 "The Asylum" as the winner over "Zoom" but I can not find any tracking data or listing of it. Does anyone know anything about the boat or route?
The Horror

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users