#201 THC

THC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:16 PM

Skew:

That year will be a lot like this year; constantly to the calculations to see when you have to turn on the engine in order to get down the lake in time to turn around. We were pretty much out of fluids by the time we passed the Island, so we drank lake water until we reached Saginaw Bay, then we thought it would be smart to just suck on ice cubes.

In fact this year may be worse, I forgot how slow the boats were sailing then are compared to today!

Rip

#202 THC

THC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

Alright it's time for a shameless plug!

Normally Tuesday finishes mean a not so nice dock space. So in ohonor of that dreaded chant today's code is "Coal Docks". Put that in as a Coupon Code at Point Loma Outfitting and it;s good for a 20% dicount on anything we have.

Clean, I gots to know, just how good does the Gladiodor work in that Capilene? I figure by now you a living test lab for varioua anti-microbial techniques.

Hope your trip down is far fater than the trip up.

THC

#203 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

BEAT! That was a long, long trick at the helm. While the Pair is a bit piggish upwind in light air and chop, in flat water she simply comes alive. After a minute of building apparent, the groove becomes razor thin, the sails flat as boards, and we spent the morning playing the edge of the fog shrouding 1NM out from the shoreline.

We are now trucking...not quite laying presque isle but not far off it either, 11-12 knots of boatspeed under jib anf full main with the windward hull just kissing the water.

Thye mood on board went from "fuck we are repairing another sail and what a shitty night and it stinks in here" to "what a wonderful sail" when we learned of our win for the chicago mac. And now we are approaching Nice Pair weather. When we crack off at presque isle and start really using the righting moment of the boat, it will be time to start hunting monkees and turks.

Current projection for our arrivel in PH hopefully assuming the breeze does not go too far right is sometime around sunrise.

And since my beautiful sailor chick just got in this bunk with me and took her clothes off, I'm signing off. See you in a few hours with pics and video...no, not of that.

#204 ChiGuy

ChiGuy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

Right now it shows a J105 "The Asylum" as the winner over "Zoom" but I can not find any tracking data or listing of it. Does anyone know anything about the boat or route?
The Horror

Asylum is a well sailed 105 from Chicago. They used to own the 105 Caress until this season when they bought a new boat.

Since there's no track info, I'm assuming he stuck with the Wisconsin side. Have no idear where he went compared to Zoom.

Good on ya Jon!

#205 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

Right now it shows a J105 "The Asylum" as the winner over "Zoom" but I can not find any tracking data or listing of it. Does anyone know anything about the boat or route?
The Horror

They were planing, satellites couldn't keep up. :blink:

#206 skew

skew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:59 PM

Skew:

That year will be a lot like this year; constantly to the calculations to see when you have to turn on the engine in order to get down the lake in time to turn around. We were pretty much out of fluids by the time we passed the Island, so we drank lake water until we reached Saginaw Bay, then we thought it would be smart to just suck on ice cubes.

In fact this year may be worse, I forgot how slow the boats were sailing then are compared to today!

Rip

I was on a NM39, Stars and Stripes. You? I can't remember being short of food/water, but it was maddening drifting off Thunder Bay in the middle of the night fighting off millions of gnats. I think we would have turned on the engine if we could have. As it was we had no use of it because the propeller shaft had torn the cutlass bearing right out of the hull at the start of the Chicago race. Now there was a big hole there which we had emergency patched with a cut-up sea boot. Also, we has somehow killed the batteries. What a cluster that was. Still we made the next race.

#207 THC

THC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:02 PM

Skew, your having plenty of food/water can be directly attributed to the planning BM does for these events. Iwas on the (Bruce) King 40 Madcap. That race and the '85 PH race are the ones that don't get me too excited about Mac races anymore (oh, and I am much, older, larger, slower,etc)

#208 <deleted user>

<deleted user>

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

BEAT! That was a long, long trick at the helm. While the Pair is a bit piggish upwind in light air and chop, in flat water she simply comes alive. After a minute of building apparent, the groove becomes razor thin, the sails flat as boards, and we spent the morning playing the edge of the fog shrouding 1NM out from the shoreline.

We are now trucking...not quite laying presque isle but not far off it either, 11-12 knots of boatspeed under jib anf full main with the windward hull just kissing the water.

Thye mood on board went from "fuck we are repairing another sail and what a shitty night and it stinks in here" to "what a wonderful sail" when we learned of our win for the chicago mac. And now we are approaching Nice Pair weather. When we crack off at presque isle and start really using the righting moment of the boat, it will be time to start hunting monkees and turks.

Current projection for our arrivel in PH hopefully assuming the breeze does not go too far right is sometime around sunrise.

And since my beautiful sailor chick just got in this bunk with me and took her clothes off, I'm signing off. See you in a few hours with pics and video...no, not of that.

jeez clean, have some respect for your crew mates... nothing worse then sorting through some drawer, looking for a crescent wrench trying to pretend not to hear the loud guy shagging his wife....

#209 Batman

Batman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

jeez clean, have some respect for your crew mates... nothing worse then sorting through some drawer, looking for a crescent wrench trying to pretend not to hear the loud guy shagging his wife....

I know right! They teach us about sharing in preschool and kindergarten. Something about "did you bring enough for the rest of the class boat?"

And who sails with their wife? Wives sail? That's one of those fairy tales isn't it? ;)

#210 WxRouting.com

WxRouting.com

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Weather

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:30 PM

Pics or it didn't happen CLEAN. Post the video...NOW or at least TWEET the images...

Was the shore the call each and everyday? :P Love ya...Now go get a shower.

#211 Batman

Batman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

Was the shore the call each and everyday? :P

Signs point to yes. Almost every Youtube he posted had them off the beach - whether that was for cell/internet signal or wind (or cold beer) is up for debate. ;)

#212 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:57 PM

Some more Mer pics from the water. This ain't a great editing studio though. Having depleted the port side battery bank to just high enough voltage for the GPS to keep working over there, I'm now on to starboard. Hopefully my inverter likes cold, wet locations.

Video update coming soon, we are in the mouth of Saginaw Bay chasing down Cheekee Monkey, who is just ten miles or so ahead of us. Fine Line and Natalie J are just ahead of her, and if we could just get 10 degrees of freedom to change to the screecher + jib we'd be sailing 12 instead of 7. We called a 40 mile layline to the tip of Thunder Bay and nearly ran up on the beach. Fighting and pinching to get over the breakers to no avail, we tucked in a 3 minute hitch and have been fetching close hauled on rhumb line as we sail across, fearful of the dreaded Saginaw Bay suck hole. SO far so good, got a long way to go to catch lucretia for the first place, though saving our time on Cheekee shouldn't be too hard right now. Please wind, please don't leave with the sunset...

Tracker: http://maps.iboattra..._scope=Supermac

Pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK17.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK16.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK15.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK14.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK13.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK12.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK11.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK10.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK9.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK8.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK7.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK6.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC___COPYRIGHT_MEREDITH_BLOCK5.jpg

#213 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:59 PM

THIS JUST IN. SATURN WINS RACE BACK TO BAYVIEW.

#214 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:05 AM

I pushed for the shore every chance I could. I've raced on these lakes enough to know that high pressure means get to the land. The night that we got stuck two miles off we got passed by two dozen boats. The next night was stellar. Both NJ and Pair went in almost to Harbor Springs, deep in Little Traverse Bay, in search of something special. I'd lobbied as much as I could, but was asleep when Andersen made the call to hit the bay. We both found more than we were hoping for in a 60+ degree righty on the beach, that let us reach up to Grays Reef at 12+ knots, picking off big boats like they were standing still. Then we almost missed a mark of the course, and dove down to it right on top of Fine Line, calling for room to round...after 200 miles. Good Times.

#215 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:30 AM

Tom: We will have ample opportunity to do a comparison between the non odor reducing and odor reducing shirts. At the moment, the bacteria are working on making sure it's a real test, at least based on the stench coming from my gumby suit. It's almost scary cold out here, especially when we get a decent puff and the apparent picks up, but at the moment, there are no puffs, just a gradually dying breeze that we are trying to make the best of. Can't see anyone but we know they are there.

#216 <deleted user>

<deleted user>

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:12 AM

yeah yeah stop congratulating yourself and tell us how youre going to reel in bora!
youve got at least 10 miles to make up

port huron yc is putting the PBR on ice now...

#217 <deleted user>

<deleted user>

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:17 AM

are they puffing bowls on nice pair or what? natalie j just punishing yall the last 5 hours... from 10 miles ahead to 30!

#218 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:31 AM

Laying under a milky but starry sky with a strange pale glow illuminating the northern edge of the night, it's hard not to think of our friends on Natalie J, hiking for dozens of hours now. I almost forget what that's like, and feel incredibly lucky to have been introduced by Geff to the joys of effortless speed, ultra stable motion, and lounging around wherever the hell you please in anything but super light to super heavy weather. And light air means you lay on one corner of the netting: how horrible.

It is time to sleep now; I tried to upload a good long video of the boat and gary hall on the helm; he predicts tomorrow at 1:30 while I am praying for noon. We may have to tack to get out of the bay, but if we get lifted there when we bend right again, downbound and can hoist the big sails, we could do wonderful things. This boat finished the PH-Mac last year in 17 hours; only the 60' Tri Earth Voyager and Windquest was here when they got in. Our time from mack won't be 17 hours, but it's been a quick run nonetheless.

Tried to upload a good vid and interview with Gary Hall at the helm, but at the niddle of saginaw bay, we are 25 miles from anything...tomorrow morning.

#219 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,616 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:20 AM

DogDayz appears to have finished at Vantage Point.

#220 Rupe

Rupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

The rail, netting or other sure beats my office chair. Wish I were there to enjoy the view instead of staring at my computer screen all day.

#221 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:07 AM

DogDayz appears to have finished at Vantage Point.

You have a keen grasp of the obvious. Did PA let you out for the day?

#222 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

Check twatter for something new: too wet and nasty for computer, still beating along the shore at 7-12 knots, wind up and down and determined to not fucking let us get to port huron...how many upwind miles is this race going to give us? We are 27 miles out...

#223 Hotel O

Hotel O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

Farr 40 Solution checking in just 40 miles out from the supermac finish. Nice pair quitely slipped away through the night. Mad dog 570 is awake and currently on the helm. Haven't had a cold bevy in days or a beer in two, but everyone is all smiles. Good times see ya for a cold one soon at PHYC

#224 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

Nice to hear from you, O.

We're 10 or so miles out right now! Wind getting a bit light, but for the first time in a week we have breeze and don't have to wear fucking mittens.

Not far now, can see the bottom though 35 feet deep, finally have the bridge in sight. I called Napoleon D to congratulate him on his wind. He said "we knew there was nothing to worry about when it turned into a 200 mile beat: you weren't gonna catch us in that."

All good, party at the PH today and the 'view tonight...after some serious showering.

#225 bgulari

bgulari

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:08 PM

Blood marys in the am rock. Off to go pack up the moth and ship it to Oregon. Sorry for the lack of info off our boat. I was on a one person watch and burned out on curt Rozelles STIFF instant coffee. The little basterd worked his butt off this race. Really proud of the Crew and the faith they had in my calls wheN things were not looking stellar. "don't stop believing" :)

#226 fullframe

fullframe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

Posted Image

more from the start here:

http://www.flickr.co...57621688534414/

#227 Gary M

Gary M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

Here is "Nice Pair" going down under the Bluewater bridge just before the finish at Port Huron. Not a great picture as a rain cloud had just moved in and it got very dark. I think they must have liked that cloud and the wind that it brought as just 5 minute before the flags in the back ground were hanging down and they where drifting down towards the bridge with what must have been very limited steerage.

Posted Image

#228 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

Congrats to all the supermac finishers and to the finishers to come. You guys are da bomb.

#229 Batman

Batman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

Congrats guys. well done!

#230 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:10 PM

Why does all the shit have to happen at one time????

Safely in a car headed for a shower after a hair raising final hour on the Pair, nearly soiled my shorts but we made it to the finish to the cheers of Cariguy, Tbomb, and the rest of the welcoming committee.

The final few minutes was interesting to say the least as first the wind shut off completely with the 5+ knot current sucking us down the river, then a squall coming in with our code zero and full main up. We touched 18 knots for a minute as the squall came through literally the minute we sailed under the bridge, dodging two tankers with the boat careening across the river with the hull 10 feet above water and Whirly just smiling. I guess going around the world at an average of 20 knots will cool your blood somewhat...

#231 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,086 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

Outstanding. Congrats.

#232 Batman

Batman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

Why does all the shit have to happen at one time????

Is there any other way? ;)

#233 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:50 PM

Here's a Tuesday report, the others are loading while we take Whirly to the airport. You'll have to check the front page tonight for the great story at the finish and three more videos loading now - you can check my youtube account or facebook to see them when they go up. Thanks again for all of you who have been watching and contributing your own info and great pics. Seriously, I felt like I was racing with a whole bunch of friends.

We've even got something special planned for the PH-Mac, but again, you'll have to check back soon after I'm a bit wasted and done with errands.

See ya soon!

#234 RIGHTisWRONG

RIGHTisWRONG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

See Clean? All's well that end's well. Now quit yer bitching!

#235 LakeHopper

LakeHopper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

Nicely done! Glad to hear you had a welcoming committee. I'd love to have seen that finish, but don't get back to PH until tomorrow evening. Hope you enjoyed a couple Jager or O Bombs in Fiddler's Green. Excellent way to cap a race.

#236 Hotel O

Hotel O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:32 PM

Solution still floating down Lake Huron, Hotel O, Wonder Woman and Curb Squirl hanging out off shift below answer question that were ask to the playboy advisor. I think our answers are much more creative. Looking and hoping for atleast a Thursday finish. Here comes more rain. Close the hatches. Now into the sauna which we need for Harbor Springs.

#237 LateNite

LateNite

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:45 PM

SuperMac results web page

#238 offshorecats

offshorecats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:57 PM

Super job NICE PAIR and CREW...

When I built this Crowther Super Shockwave 38 in 1985 I was hoping someone would do great deeds with her.

Thank you Bruce.

This boat has had an interesting life...1985 stolen in Florida and recovered by the US Marshalls in PR...
tied up in Federal Court for years...
sailed to the DR to be a day charter boat which was a joke...
then on to Belize to charter which was an even bigger joke...
sailed back to Florida and a much needed refit...
sold to a new owner in MI...
and then sold to Bruce the Winner.

Thanks also for the great reporting Mr. Clean.

Michael Bell

www.offshorecats.com

#239 Shife

Shife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:00 AM

we're heading to ph under motor on twisted due to obligations. Report from heatwave is that they are staying in the race until time expires. they are directly aft of us right now just off thunder bay light. we're doing 5kts under motor (stupid hydraulic drive) and they are keeping pace with us tacking upwind in 10kts with ap1 and full main. A pearson 34 is trying desperately to hang with them but is falling off.

i'll likely be losing cell signal soon so all for now.

See ya'll in PH

#240 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:04 AM

Question for you Chicagoans - when is the fall awards party at CYC?

MS

#241 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:51 AM

When I built this Crowther Super Shockwave 38 in 1985 I was hoping someone would do great deeds with her.

Thank you Bruce.

This boat has had an interesting life...1985 stolen in Florida and recovered by the US Marshalls in PR...

Michael Bell

www.offshorecats.com

Thanks for buiding such a great boat Mike! Everything is working great on the boat right now and will be in touch after the season. Great storied past she has, eh.

#242 Hotel O

Hotel O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:41 AM

Solution finally finished 4 hours ago under the worst conditions ever. No wind drifting undr the bridge at 4.8 kts with an upbound freighter. Mad dog 570 with no helm multiple horn blast (10 or so) freighter had both spots on us. Have no idea how we drifted awa,.then caught Freighter jet wash put us in a flat spin..... Eject, eject, eject. Skipper says we need to get back out there as soon as possible. See you Saturday for a real race. Go BYC.
HOTEL O AND CREW OUT.

#243 Rupe

Rupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

Looks like Burnsy and Ziggy on Heat Wave are still moving. 24 hours till the time limit for the supermac and 80+ miles? Let's hope for some good air throughout the day so they can finish.

#244 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

I have to say Thanks! to everyone on board Nice Pair for making this one outstanding race for the program. You all were just fantastic in every aspect of the race and just to have on the boat. What a collection. Clean and Mer with all their efforts to bring what life on a multihull is all about, Gary for all his input and knowledge, Whirly and Jim for such depth of experience, Blain for all his continued efforts. And thanks to all of the masses for the well wishes and support.

#245 Lazy Guy

Lazy Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

I don't like this thing with sending a 'cruising division' up there a day ahead of the race boats. Surprising no comments on that so far here at SA.

Are not 1/2 the Mac 'race boats' really cruiser/ racer boats anyhow ? Aside from stealing the allure of "first to the island" for the big race boats in future years, I can already here joe cruiser, back at the office ...."yeah, we finished about an hour behind Windquest, and.. just in front of the Vincitore team for new zealand, and...."

How is that all that much different than, say Transpac? Maybe 'cause real race boats have sprits and poles and cruisers tack their kites to the bow, but they still sail the same course. I know, I know...fuck off newb

Fukoff Noob

This from CYC:

The first boat to finish the 101st Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac is Dogdayz, with a finish time at 07:50:04- making the elapsed time for this first boat at 64:40:04. This is the longest elapsed time for a first to finish boat in some time. The Race Committee can see two more boats coming through the fog under the Mackinac Bridge, which according to tracking, we estimate to be Intangible and Tommorrow's Sunshine. All three boats are in the cruising division, which began last Friday at 3:00 p.m.
More soon!

#246 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

I have to say Thanks! to everyone on board Nice Pair for making this one outstanding race for the program. You all were just fantastic in every aspect of the race and just to have on the boat. What a collection. Clean and Mer with all their efforts to bring what life on a multihull is all about, Gary for all his input and knowledge, Whirly and Jim for such depth of experience, Blain for all his continued efforts. And thanks to all of the masses for the well wishes and support.

Thanks for letting Alan report from your boat. I think its some of the best work he has done so far.

Anyone have an ETA on the "Wave" I would love to drive up and throw empty beer cans at them.

#247 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

No worries. And if I see the Wave, I'll toss them a few for you until you get there. Glad you enjoyed Clean and Mer's reports. They, as always, were great on board the boat.

#248 Shife

Shife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for letting Alan report from your boat. I think its some of the best work he has done so far.

Anyone have an ETA on the "Wave" I would love to drive up and throw empty beer cans at them.

hard to tell right now. the ockam says wind is 7.5true @100deg so they may not be able to get the light air reachy weapon working. it depends on how far out in the lake they went after we lost track of them. they will have a very hard time making it before the cutoff time.

#249 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,620 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

Nice Job, Natalie J. They are superhuman.

great rounding bouy #3 with you Clean & Nice Pair,
Scared the shit out of us sneaking up our transom right at the mark.

Jim, Goblin, (damn near dfl)

#250 RtWL

RtWL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

No, No. If someone asks how your Mac went you need to just smile and say, " it was incredible- we beat Windquest and Merlin, the two fastest boats in the fleet, by hours. " *

* apologies to all my friends on Merlin

#251 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

No, No. If someone asks how your Mac went you need to just smile and say, " it was incredible- we beat Windquest and Merlin, the two fastest boats in the fleet, by hours.

........... Or you could say that this idiot who is known as RtWL on SA was left on the dock because he's an uniformed A' hole.

#252 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

Now this is one for the ages...from Natalie J...

#253 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:20 PM

Do they always play "tiny dancer" when ND drives? that is hilarious.

#254 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

Scared the crap out of ourselves too, as our navigator had some shit going on and somehow missed that it was a mark of the course. Diving dead downwind on a cat ain't the best idea in the world, and we almost didn't get there!

Great racing against you all, what a fun time, and that Super Mac is easily my new favorite race on the GLs. Rocking.

BTW, we just woke up a couple hours ago after a painful night capped off at the 'view being self congratulatory with the Nat J boys and Mer. Outstanding stuff, and now it looks like we will do live coverage of the start of the PH Mac.

#255 Rupe

Rupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

Wave might catch a break. Looks like they are coming up on Port Sanilac with it blowing 7 from the north, doing 5.9. Just over 14 hours left before the cutoff (8 a.m.) and 40ish miles to go.

#256 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

They'll make it. We know they will. Go the Wave!

Here is a video from yesterday, right about where Burnsy and Ziggy are:

#257 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:32 PM

Standing ovation from Windquest as we enter the river; look at the storm cloud that almost flipped our asses over.

#258 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

Bruce Geffen post race interview:

#259 RtWL

RtWL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:39 AM

No, No. If someone asks how your Mac went you need to just smile and say, " it was incredible- we beat Windquest and Merlin, the two fastest boats in the fleet, by hours.

........... Or you could say that this idiot who is known as RtWL on SA was left on the dock because he's an uniformed A' hole.

No thanks. On the dock due to spinal cord injuries. Third year in a row. Fifteen Chi-Macs and five PH-Macs under my belt. Haven't even put my boat in the water this year. Don't have the ability to look up long enough to drive. Hardly the fine motor skills to type effectively. My friends are well aware of this.

Anything else?

#260 Road Goddess

Road Goddess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

Thank you Bruce.

Michael Bell

www.offshorecats.com

Michael Bell,

Thanks so much for the history lesson on Nice Pair. Fascinating stuff, to say the least.

~Nice Pair Road Goddess

#261 Rupe

Rupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:28 PM

Congrats to Burnsy and Ziggy for finishing the supermac doublehanded!

#262 J30

J30

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

Go the Heatwave! Joe 6 pack sailing at it's finest.

#263 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:08 AM

MORE PHOTOS FROM THE SUPER MAC

Attached Thumbnails

• 2009_SUPER_MAC_1669.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1676.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1685.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1737.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1752.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1778.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1842.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1852.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1873.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1899.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1926.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1929.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1936.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1940.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1948.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1958.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1964.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1968.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1972.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1976.jpg
  • 2009_SUPER_MAC_1988.jpg

#264 Road Goddess

Road Goddess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:03 AM

Mer,

Those are some stellar pics!

In case the public is wondering, they are for purchase? If so, contact you for a price list?

Just wondering.

~RG

#265 J30

J30

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:32 AM

Now this is one for the ages...from Natalie J...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c...6M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I loved that video it is really fun to watch. The big dog snuggling ND while driving - priceless.

Tonight I was sailing my Laser observing the Optis & Butterflys on ReedsLake/GRYC. After the races my 8 yr old Opti sailor son & I sailed over by the park where they had a band playing as they often do Tuesday nights. Just as we got in front of the stage for best listening while sailing, they started playing Tiny Dancer! We were air band singing into our hiking sticks. Awesome. Thanks clean, bgulari & ND & Paul. Awesome teamwork on this film presentation.

#266 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:03 AM

Mer,

Those are some stellar pics!

In case the public is wondering, they are for purchase? If so, contact you for a price list?

Just wondering.

~RG

Hey RG,

Thanks for the compliment!

Mer's for-sale gallery is here. Please support her work. All purchases go to the Meredith Block New Laptop Fund.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users