Any news from the Island, Cariguy?

#102 bellasailbabe

bellasailbabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:13 AM

I assumed every big sailing event did things this way. Guess we're just a lucky bunch of rednecks, eh?

.....SlowEd...paging SlowEd.....

Chin up ;) ha ha

Only a couple of us know that you're from/have raced religiously out of the
Port Huron area for most of your sailing life, and race quite competitively on
a boat from up that way to this day (around the country)...and that you mean rednecks no harm :) :P

The dialog has actually livened up this thread with newcomers, though, so goodonya!

...What I'm wondering is: if you retracted your thoughts on rednecks, would you consider retracting
your negative bias toward Michael Jackson?

...Hmm...ok, then...how 'bout Obama?

...Well....one out three ain't bad :) :lol:

Now, get up to see Rose safe and sound!

Bella out ~

#103 big chicken

big chicken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  • Interests:sailing, performance rally

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:29 AM

Clean,

I have a major bone to pick with you! Unfortunately circumstances prevented us from getting the chicken boat to the BYC Mac this year and I'm stuck at home this weekend. I was able to free up the time to crew on QuickSilver in the ChiMac and that was serious fun and very reqwarding to be able to deliver a 4th place of 19 for our skipper, but now being at home and "seeing" the race on my computer is putting me in a big time funk.

Keep up the great work. Very nice interview with the PHYC Commodore. Some of your best work yet.

Go the Wave!. Go the Pair! And go Atomic Dog and Time Machine!

BC

gotta throw one out there for Say Uncle..........

Dooooh, dope slap time. Hell, yes, Go the Uncle! Sorry I forgot you guys, Kevin and Matt.

#104 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:42 AM

If the wind doesn't shift enough to let EV crack sheets, Windquest will take first to finish in less than three hours.

#105 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:43 AM

I assumed every big sailing event did things this way. Guess we're just a lucky bunch of rednecks, eh?

Chin up ;) ha ha

a boat from up that way to this day (around the country)...and that you mean rednecks no harm :) :P

The dialog has actually livened up this thread with newcomers, though, so goodonya!

...What I'm wondering is: if you retracted your thoughts on rednecks, would you consider retracting

Bella out ~

LH, I'm sorry, I didn't think redneck was a bad word. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm friggin sorry. I'll never call white guys with hats on backwards wearing wife beaters rednecks again.

Glad you all had fun.

Ed.

Can we just drop this? Please?

#106 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:50 AM

I'll see if I can find my SA wife beater for you Ed - if so, I'll bring it up with me and you can model if for all the PH guys.

#107 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:53 AM

Chin up ;) ha ha

Bella out ~

Hi Ames,
I'll work on your request but Michael is/was a pedophile and I have no polite word for our Pres. If I come up with something I'll let you know.

Back to the race, SailorRose is going 4.5 and has over a 100 miles to go. I don't think I have to leave till noon tomorrow.

#108 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:56 AM

I'll see if I can find my SA wife beater for you Ed - if so, I'll bring it up with me and you can model if for all the PH guys.

I hope we can drop this over a stiff rum drink, your friggin redneck!!

Your = you. Dam shpelling

#109 LH Drummer

LH Drummer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:06 AM

I just consider the source, Ed........

My little story was not to argue the origin of Michigan rednecks, but rather to explain the background of Boat Week in PH. I hadn't realized that all the hoopla here is special ... that's great to hear. The leading force (of course after the BYC and PHYC efforts) has been the local Times Herald coverage to promote the race and all the associated events in town. Christ, the Ann Arbor News is the latest to shut down... I wonder if we will even have a newspaper this time next year. There will be a huge news gap to fill, and it will happen online, and it will happen in places like SA with Clean's OTW reports. Thanks very much for this year's efforts, and I'll look forward to it getting bigger and better next year.

#110 LH Drummer

LH Drummer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:20 AM

I'll do some On The Pavement reports for you next year, too. It's funny enough to see all the guys clogging the grocery checkouts loading up on last-minute ice, beer, and food they don't know how to buy ... :lol:

#111 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:15 AM

Looks like Windquest is going to take it, and Nice Pair looking like a double Multi winner this year! Go get 'em...

I have to take Mer to the airport in less than four hours. Good night and please post anything interesting you hear! Well done Pinney and Janney and all the WQ boys.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture_9.png

#112 Deepsea

Deepsea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:14 AM

Hey Deepsea - you got any mids aboard Defiance?

Yes, but only a few, classes starting and indoc for the new freshman keeping us busy at KP.....

#113 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

Hey Deepsea - you got any mids aboard Defiance?

Yes, but only a few, classes starting and indoc for the new freshman keeping us busy at KP.....

Figured as much, thanks for the info. Congrats to the finishers so far: http://www.byc.com/mack/results.cfm

From Nice Pair an hour ago:

"20 NM to go, about 20-25 knots of breeze, a completely true beat...

Big seas, no fun pounding into it."

#114 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

Webcam shows the harbor and finishing boats very well. Linky.

#115 WxRouting.com

WxRouting.com

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Weather

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

Up and Over....

If still have a dog in this hunt, and you have come here to figure out the best way to the barn then the answer is pretty simple:

UP AND OVER. The West winds that cover the northern part of the course will continue on the right (north) side of the course today but the southerns side (Toward Cheboygan) fades quickly this morning. Pressure continues through this afternoon and tonight on the Canadian side with best pressure right up against the shore. (Check you charts!)

Have fun stay warm. It is 66'F on the island right now with West winds at 6mph...

#116 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

Oh man sure am glad I had to sit both races out this year.

#117 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

So Geff finished and just gave me a shout as Bruce Babcock from Adagio was walking by. Looks like they got the Gougeon tri by more than 40 minutes, with the rest of the multi fleet out of the picture. Bruce said that the downwind run was great, they got ahead of one of the big cells coming through and sat on 15 knots for more than an hour, which let them separate from their fleet. Then another 3 hours with a more reachy angle that let them carry the real weapon of the screecher, jib, and full main with 12+ knots of boat speed. But basically a nearly true downwind leg followed by some reaching followed by a left turn and true beat since then. Pair hugged the north side of the strait for relief from big, square waves with 40+ miles of fetch.

#118 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:21 PM

Goblin finished, 3rd for now.

#119 Irishdriver

Irishdriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

Great news!!! Go the Goblination!

BTW, what will The Other Mongo's future offspring be called? MongoLites?? MiniMongos? Other Mini Mongos?

Goblinationmongolites?? ;)

Congrats to B and J on their news- awesome stuff. It's a great day to be a Rambler!

#120 coreymon

coreymon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:37 PM

So Geff finished and just gave me a shout as Bruce Babcock from Adagio was walking by. Looks like they got the Gougeon tri by more than 40 minutes, with the rest of the multi fleet out of the picture. Bruce said that the downwind run was great, they got ahead of one of the big cells coming through and sat on 15 knots for more than an hour, which let them separate from their fleet. Then another 3 hours with a more reachy angle that let them carry the real weapon of the screecher, jib, and full main with 12+ knots of boat speed. But basically a nearly true downwind leg followed by some reaching followed by a left turn and true beat since then. Pair hugged the north side of the strait for relief from big, square waves with 40+ miles of fetch.

back to back macs? fucking sweet job NICE PAIR!!!!!

#121 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,510 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

1st time entry 'Patriot' in the Ben36.7 class is looking pretty good at this point ...

#122 LakeHopper

LakeHopper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:00 PM

Holy fuck, we are back on land and the mother of all thunderstorms is on our ass and headed for the fleet! Check radar, I was just getting cotton candy at the carny fair on our way home, and the bolt of lightning that struck the ferris wheel came close enough to travel through the cotton candy cart and up my arm as well as the carny serving me. What a rush! And poor bastards out there...

We were in a big tent on the beach just up the US shore when that rolled through. Glad that didn't come through during the start. Would have made an exciting ride back to the beach.

#123 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

Busy much?

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture_10.png

#124 bellasailbabe

bellasailbabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:32 PM

Busy much?

...is it just me, or is this a rare Mac?

...can't remember seeing, or racing in, this type of massive swarm so
near the finish (for either the Chi-Mac, or BYC-Mac)...

It's been close for all classes at the start, or the second morning...but not this stacked
with 'all' classes being so close 'this' close to the end.

I know looks can be deceiving and they're probably further apart than it looks...
but scoring at the finish might be an interesting challenge this year -- as may be protests?

Looks interesting -- any thoughts from lurkers?

#125 Road Goddess

Road Goddess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:38 PM

CONGRATS to NICE PAIR & CREW w/back-to-back Macs! That's some GREAT racin'!! :D

#126 THC

THC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

Clean:

Sorry to being MIA all weekend, had to go to a funeral up in SB for Katie's uncle. If he hadn't been a big sailor I would have stayed in SD; but it was good to see a bunch of her family.

Anyway, growing up sailing in northern Lake Michigan was pretty much centered around three weekends, the Mac races and the Harbor Springs regatta. Sounds like this year the Macs were a little off pace, but they were Mac races none the less and I'm sure those participating will have some stories to tell for years to come!

I know when we first talked about doing OTWA for the SuperMac you had no intentions to also cover the PH-Mac; but thanks for the Bayview OTWA on the run. I think you did a good job getting the essence of Boat Night (it seems that eveneing has'nt changed in since the first time I experienced it back in the 70's). Then there is the anxiety of getting out of the Black River, under the Blue Water Bridge and out to the start area, nothing like a little current. I was glad to hear that the Cove Isalnd course is back in play, besides the added distance I think it breaks the race into two distinct sections (nothing like a night around the Ducks).

Since Clean did more than we agreed I think it only fair for PLO to do the same; so we are extending our 20% Discount to all you Anarchists following this show. If you enter the Couppon Code "Cove Island" in it's good for 20% off on anything at Point Loma Outfitting.

For those of you hanging out Up Nprth through next weekend have fun at Leg's Inn up in Cross Village Sunday watching the Wild Woodies.

#127 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

Great news!!! Go the Goblination!

BTW, what will The Other Mongo's future offspring be called? MongoLites?? MiniMongos? Other Mini Mongos?

Goblinationmongolites?? ;)

Congrats to B and J on their news- awesome stuff. It's a great day to be a Rambler!

Only a 5 boat section tho! :o

The drinks will still flow tho. Damnit I wish I was up there!

BTW, Where is Rod?

#128 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

Congrats to Nitemare......

#129 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:53 PM

1st time entry 'Patriot' in the Ben36.7 class is looking pretty good at this point ...

Chuck what are you looking at I see Weathers Edge out in front. My guys from SATURN are all on board for this trip.

#130 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,510 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

Chuck what are you looking at I see Weathers Edge out in front. My guys from SATURN are all on board for this trip.

Weather Edge III is looking good too. Right now Patriot is stuck with a 1208EDT update time, while everyone else ('cept Zao) has post 1300 update times. Probably a good thing they don't realize they're going head to head w/ Saturn crew. :)

#131 Callahan

Callahan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:31 PM

Looks like Nitemare has a good shot at the ORR overall. Great News, hope Tom is monitoring the race at the Hospice. Here is hoping that he hangs in there long enough to receive the trophy.

#132 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

Passing through saginaw on the way north, about as perfect a day as you could find. Almost 80 degrees with a ten knot westerly, clouds painted on the sky, the dog in the back, howard on serious, and less than two hours til 4:20

#133 LakeHopper

LakeHopper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

The google maps based boat mapper is a big improvement on the default viewer, but it still has bugs. If you find it's getting squirrely on you (happens after adding and removing a few divisions) just reload the page then hit the boat mapper button again to bring it back.

Patriot has updated, they're in the lead still. What on earth is Carrera doing?

#134 PHtim

PHtim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

Alan, congrats on digging up a boat load of redneck. Not that every state doesn't have it but it's not what Michigan needs to show perspective business.

You know, you were doing so well until you decided to get bitchy over a great bunch of guys that we had fun with. Didn't figure you for an elitist, Ed. Worse yet, it's the people who pretend that Michigan is something it isn't that are responsible for the state being in the crap it is. Christ knows that when I was developing 1000 unit subdivisions in Washtenaw County, the motivation came from the folks trying to characterize Michigan as the next big boom, the up-and-coming economy, to Centex, Toll Brothers, and Florida and West Coast investors. Most of the Midwest is pretty redneck - you think that your little part of the coast is somehow exempt? I raced in PH for almost two full years, and I'll tell you what: Those guys that took us out; the poor bastards with lots of hardware; like Rum, Blew By You, etc; they ARE Port Huron, and they ARE Michigan. You are not.

Hey, I have an idea: Pure Michigan can get rid of all the rednecks for the PH-Mac race just for the tourism campaign. Oh wait; get rid of the rednecks and there's no boat night. Get rid of the rednecks and there's no Port Huron. Get rid of the rednecks and there's no midwest.

edit: That 'boatload of redneck' includes one tradesman who just started racing this year aboard the T35 Griffin. You have no idea how excited he was to watch the racing, and the whole crew told me "We've never been able to get this close before and see what really happens; we get chased off by the race officials." Personally, I'd rather hang out with rednecks than proper yachties most days, and if we can get guys like THIS interested - something PHYC is great at - than all of a sudden, racing has a ginormous new pool of people to draw from.

hey alan another thank you for sticking up for us on that boat load of "rednecks" comment..
it was great times never were that close ever to a start of the mac.. then we chased down EARTH VOYAGER and got a close up view of NICE PAIR. Awesome job really do hope you look us up again next year..

#135 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,510 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

The google maps based boat mapper is a big improvement on the default viewer, but it still has bugs. If you find it's getting squirrely on you (happens after adding and removing a few divisions) just reload the page then hit the boat mapper button again to bring it back.

Patriot has updated, they're in the lead still. What on earth is Carrera doing?

I don't know but it looks slow.

#136 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

Looks like Nitemare has a good shot at the ORR overall. Great News, hope Tom is monitoring the race at the Hospice. Here is hoping that he hangs in there long enough to receive the trophy.

WOW man he has been in inspiration. Go NITEMARE for OVERALL!!!!!

#137 DRB2

DRB2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:02 PM

Has anyone been following the battle in IRC E? Close race with positions changing at every sched update. GO SEA FEVER making a big move today from 5 to currently first, WOW keep charging guys!

#138 offshorecats

offshorecats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:16 PM

Great job Bruce and NICE PAIR...

OK OK what do you need?

As the builder I am feeling very good about all this winning.

If you keep this up your "pals" are going to buy NICE PAIR and hide it.

Michael Bell

#139 CPJIII

CPJIII

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

And the beat goes on and on and on...

#140 THC

THC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

Clean:

I put together a nice long reply about how hard you worked, what a value you give your sponsors and so on. I thought I posted that this morning, but it appears I screwed it up. Now I'm in a pissy mood so I do not have the motivation to blow sunshine up your ass.

But I do feel guilty, the Mac races were a big part of my sailing back in the days (way back), and you did try your best so we will extend our little Mac Race deal. If you want to get 20% off antthing on the Point Loma Outfitting website, ente "Cove Island" in the Coupon code.

#141 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,399 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

Videos and pics are loading now...and I am hung over. Christ why is it that every time I go to Port Huron, I leave sloshed to the gills?

Looks like Windquest and Earth Voyager are sitting on top of each other on the Canadian shore, with the 70s and rest of the fast multihulls in the middle of the lake slightly to the right. Windquest wasn't even interested in the start. She wanted Canada and she got it. Earth Voyager apparently nearly ran over a cruising boat on her way back out to the east.

Tip: On the crappy iBoattracker, if you click on "Boat mapper" you get a much better tracking tool than the standard view. Still shit, but better shit, and thank christ Pure Michigan stepped up so that there is some tracking, if not a great interface.

More to come.

Cause there is nothing else to do in Port Huron, but drink.

#142 bellasailbabe

bellasailbabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:03 PM

Clean:

Sorry to being MIA all weekend, had to go to a funeral up in SB for Katie's uncle. If he hadn't been a big sailor I would have stayed in SD; but it was good to see a bunch of her family.

Anyway, growing up sailing in northern Lake Michigan was pretty much centered around three weekends, the Mac races and the Harbor Springs regatta. Sounds like this year the Macs were a little off pace, but they were Mac races none the less and I'm sure those participating will have some stories to tell for years to come!

I know when we first talked about doing OTWA for the SuperMac you had no intentions to also cover the PH-Mac; but thanks for the Bayview OTWA on the run. I think you did a good job getting the essence of Boat Night (it seems that eveneing has'nt changed in since the first time I experienced it back in the 70's). Then there is the anxiety of getting out of the Black River, under the Blue Water Bridge and out to the start area, nothing like a little current. I was glad to hear that the Cove Isalnd course is back in play, besides the added distance I think it breaks the race into two distinct sections (nothing like a night around the Ducks).

Since Clean did more than we agreed I think it only fair for PLO to do the same; so we are extending our 20% Discount to all you Anarchists following this show. If you enter the Couppon Code "Cove Island" in it's good for 20% off on anything at Point Loma Outfitting.

For those of you hanging out Up Nprth through next weekend have fun at Leg's Inn up in Cross Village Sunday watching the Wild Woodies.

...this your previous post, THC?

Thank you very much :)

#143 bellasailbabe

bellasailbabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:14 PM

...here's the url for tracking, for anyone just coming on board:
http://www.michigan.org/gps/

Super fun checking out the "finish line" view on the left,
and checking out how the remainder of the boats - by section -
are getting their butts down from the upper peninsula side
(the west breeze looks great)...

Some good duels still happening :)

#144 Shife

Shife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

fuck this is frustrating. at least were in front of the sov.

#145 bellasailbabe

bellasailbabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:07 PM

fuck this is frustrating. at least were in front of the sov.

...go the Heatwave! :) (IRC C)

Heatwave description on official race site:

This fine yacht is the nautical equivalent of a NASA landing craft built by Monster Garage
with Salvation Army parts. Much like a TP52 created with spare change from
Aunt Cheryl's couch cushions, she defies adequate description.