35 replies to this topic

#1 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

Sometime between this past Friday night and Sunday Morning, the equipment trailer for the Santa Cruz 70 "Details" was stolen from a lot in Clinton Township. The trailer had all of the sails, running rigging, floorboards and all of the Mackinaw Safety Equipment in it. A few of the items (2 spins, 5 Cushions and a bag of winch handles) were found in a drainage ditch about 45 min north of here in Riley, MI. The trailer was a 18 ft black cargo trailer. We are pretty sure that most of the stuff was probably just discarded, but if anything comes up on line and/or anyone has any leads, please message me.

Karl Kuspa

#2 raildwn

raildwn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:-

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

Sometime between this past Friday night and Sunday Morning, the equipment trailer for the Santa Cruz 70 "Details" was stolen from a lot in Clinton Township. The trailer had all of the sails, running rigging, floorboards and all of the Mackinaw Safety Equipment in it. A few of the items (2 spins, 5 Cushions and a bag of winch handles) were found in a drainage ditch about 45 min north of here in Riley, MI. The trailer was a 18 ft black cargo trailer. We are pretty sure that most of the stuff was probably just discarded, but if anything comes up on line and/or anyone has any leads, please message me.

Karl Kuspa

Filthy bastards!

I'm sure all Anarchists will keep their eyes peeled.

#3 Polaris

Polaris

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

Karl Kuspa

Sorry to hear.

#4 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,238 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

That sucks!

By the way if you have a trailer especially the cargo type parked some place for long periods of time invest in some serious tire locks - or simply take the tires off it. Cargo trailer theft is huge and authorities will do nothing and recovery is pretty much ziltch.

Unless the trailer is in a locked busy YC yard - or parked in your own yard lock em down. I've met 5 different people in the past 2-3 years who had their cargo trailers ripped off.

#5 cariguy

cariguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

I saw on the tv news a few weeks ago that some thieves in the northern suburbs were stealing trailers and reselling them on Craigs List. Some local little league groups lost all their equipment because of it.

Good luck.

#6 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,244 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:41 PM

That most definitely sucks, I will keep an eye out for it. Not like there is a big market for that stuff.

#7 gqchicago

gqchicago

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:36.7 Fleet Lake Michigan

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:10 PM

That sucks sorry to hear it guys. The gear was probably worth more than the trailer if you had all of the running rigging, sails, safety equipment, etc in it.

Do they track these like cars with VIN #s and such or are they mostly untraceable?

#8 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,238 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

That sucks sorry to hear it guys. The gear was probably worth more than the trailer if you had all of the running rigging, sails, safety equipment, etc in it.

Do they track these like cars with VIN #s and such or are they mostly untraceable?

Many states have a pretty lax approach to trailers

#9 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:22 PM

Eyes open in Chicago....

#10 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:52 PM

Motorcycle race trailers are listed when stolen in nearly every issue of RRW and other various trade magazines in the racing genre - most people think the bikes would be the target, but they are typically as much use to a 'civilian' as the sails are to the scumbags that stole this one - it seems they take them for the trailers and anything that can be quickly liquidated is a bonus, otherwise if it can't be unloaded fast it's just a liability and gets dumped, sorry to say. Local racer here in Honolulu had his SUV boosted from his condo's (secured, right) parking a few years ago - with 3 new spinnakers in the back. Nothing ever found. Short of Lo-Jacking the trailer, I don't know what you can do.

#11 KTB

KTB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:54 PM

Awful. I'll be sure to keep my eyes open.

#12 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

Karl i cross posted it on a michigan forum maybe some of the rednecks back there will see something.. down right sucks man!!!

#13 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:19 AM

Any pix of the trailer? Visuals were a bit of a help with a swiped Bendytoy a while back here on the right coast.

#14 jrw1621

jrw1621

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:48 AM

Post more details and distinguishing marks about the trailer and I will help spread the word around the internet, especially in the MI/Great Lakes with the auto racing crowd. Please include some details about who/where to contact.

I advise that you place similar info in your local craigslist if that is where the trailer is likely to be sold.

#15 stevedallas

stevedallas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:trying not to repeat the same mistakes we made on the race course last week, keeping hydrated

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:30 AM

I am going to be kicking around back lots in TC this weekend--any more info Karl?

#16 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:04 AM

That is a real drag.
Wheel Clamps are worth their weight in gold. Great insurance for the new trailer.
Attached File  wheel_clamps.gif   6.49K   5 downloads

#17 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:Kicking Ass and Going Fast

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

Bump ! and We'll keep an eye out for it at the Red Fox this weekend -

#18 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

Post more details and distinguishing marks about the trailer and I will help spread the word around the internet, especially in the MI/Great Lakes with the auto racing crowd. Please include some details about who/where to contact.

I advise that you place similar info in your local craigslist if that is where the trailer is likely to be sold.

The trailer was a "haulin" brand. It was 16x7. Less then a year old and in brand new condition. We did have custom racks along the left side with PVC tubes as the shelving.

http://www.haulin.co...model=proseries

Thanks for all those keeping an eye out!

#19 dyslexic dog

dyslexic dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:18 PM

Pics please. I drive 40k a year and I am always looking at out of the way places.

We lost a construction trailer filled with tools a few years ago. Had a cheap lock on the tongue. Now, we use the expensive ones. Insurance minus deductable plus replacement of equipment does not always equal out.

#20 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

Black like the pic?

#21 LakeHopper

LakeHopper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

i bet getting the boat logo on the side of the trailer would help keep it from running off as long as it isn't easily removed. it sure would make it easier to spot once it has.

#22 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:05 PM

i bet getting the boat logo on the side of the trailer would help keep it from running off as long as it isn't easily removed. it sure would make it easier to spot once it has.

Actually the boat logo on the trailer makes it a target for lowlife sailors...

Best of luck finding it
MS

#23 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,627 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

Eyes out. Riley Twp? Kind of off the beaten path for a quick get away.

#24 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:11 PM

That is a real drag.
Wheel Clamps are worth their weight in gold. Great insurance for the new trailer.
Attached File  wheel_clamps.gif   6.49K   5 downloads

Thanks Wun, we will definately be getting something like that for the next trailer!

#25 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,627 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

Looks like your post here made the lead story in last night's issue of H2O Notes.

#26 Surf City Racing

Surf City Racing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

That sucks that your trailer was stolen!

I had one of these on my regatta support trailer:

Posted Image

I lost the keys in the sand on the beach and had to move the trailer out of the parking area. The only tools that I had were a drill with a 3/16" bit on it and a rivet gun. I touched the drill to the barrel and it drilled like tin foil. 3.5 seconds later I kicked it and the whole works fell apart. Not very secure.

J

#27 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

Well that's very useful information. So I suppose you're NOT recommending it? :P

It looks more like some evil medieval torture device or kinky chastity belt. :lol:

#28 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

You might also post your loss here:

RV.net - Toy Hauler Category

#29 Surf City Racing

Surf City Racing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:36 PM

Well that's very useful information. So I suppose you're NOT recommending it? :P

You should definitely buy one of these great tongue locks! if you have a nice trailer with something that I want in it and are close to the Bay Area. :P

J

#30 tailgunner

tailgunner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

Short of Lo-Jacking the trailer, I don't know what you can do.

That's actually a fantastic idea. from all the bands i've know over the years that have had their trailers stolen, and now hearing about the sailors nd motorcycles racers too there's definately a market. The big question is how do you conceal it and make it tamper proof. If you have over 20,000 in important and expensive gear it's probably worth a grand to have the protection right?

#31 LakeHopper

LakeHopper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

Short of Lo-Jacking the trailer, I don't know what you can do.

That's actually a fantastic idea. from all the bands i've know over the years that have had their trailers stolen, and now hearing about the sailors nd motorcycles racers too there's definately a market. The big question is how do you conceal it and make it tamper proof. If you have over 20,000 in important and expensive gear it's probably worth a grand to have the protection right?

from what i understand they're tiny. you could probably just hide it even moderately well and it would go undiscovered unless the thief has a machine to read the chip.

#32 stevedallas

stevedallas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:trying not to repeat the same mistakes we made on the race course last week, keeping hydrated

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

I like the Lo-Jack method because it allows for retribution...sometimes a big old can of retribution.

#33 RumBulls

RumBulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts
  • Interests:Was J24s
    Now is Olson30s

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:49 PM

My guess is they opened up the trailer and said "WTF? Where are all the tools?"

#34 jrw1621

jrw1621

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

Maybe no tools but I bet they found all the triangled shaped painters drop cloths to be pretty handy.

#35 Grrr...

Grrr...

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:30 AM

Karl,

http://detroit.craig...1429911811.html

Any similarities to the one you lost?

#36 Sandstone

Sandstone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:11 AM

Karl Kuspa

PM me. I know of a guy in the Port Huron/Marysville area who has an affinity for stealing utility trailers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users