52 replies to this topic

#1 knobblyoldjimbo

knobblyoldjimbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:53 AM

Does this qualify for this area? Gybset, comments please.

What're they like, do they plane uphill (down?), should they be on foils (ooh, bugger, sorry)

KO

#2 mentalasanything

mentalasanything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:51 AM

What're they like, do they plane uphill (down?), should they be on foils (ooh, bugger, sorry)

KO

cheeky fucker ;-)

#3 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:30 AM

KO

Troll, fanboy, TY tragic

HTF would i know what a shitter is like

#4 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:45 AM

KO

They go alright KOJ, certainly punch above their weight if you can keep them on their feet.

Oh and yes they belong here.

#5 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:48 AM

as you are answering a question directed to me

why not actually answer it i.e.

do they plane uphill, should they be on foils

TY Trolls

#6 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:54 AM

as you are answering a question directed to me

why not actually answer it i.e.

do they plane uphill, should they be on foils

TY Trolls

Well if the thread was restricted to just your answering KOJ's question it sure ain't going to be a long one now is it.

KOJ, no they don't plane uphill, nor will they work on foils - Too slow and Too heavy.

There GS, you happy mate ;)

#7 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:02 AM

why should it be a long one, it's Trolling by TY apologists who need to get a life , so the shorter the better

and too heavy to be a <20' sportsboat in this day & age

#8 FlyingScozzies

FlyingScozzies

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:43 AM

Buy the Blazer KOJ. E5.9's are shorter with less cockpit for the crew, and daysailing with the family.
The more sail you pile on, the faster it'll go.
Do a 'Hughie' transformation. Modify it as you go and you'll get great value for money.

GS, do you think that SB sailers are a special breed. Maybe a TY apologist could become a SB owner/sailer?
That's how you build a class. Encouragement. :rolleyes:

#9 Frank

Frank

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:53 AM

http://www.elliott-m...e.com/e5.9.html
Elliott website says it is a trailer bucket. It weighs twice what Shorty weighs which is over 10 years old.
What is it with all these TS owners wanting to be called a sportsboat. The ATYSBA not working out for all.

#10 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:12 AM

GS, do you think that SB sailers are a special breed. Maybe a TY apologist could become a SB owner/sailer?

No, they must stop apologising, it's not the 'familiar' sheltered workshop, you must compete in Sportsboat racing ! like going for swim you must 1st jump in

and just for starters we are SAILORS, you must get that right

you are getting the 'sailers' bit from a default synapse action, resulting from repetitive strain/exposure to
the word 'Trailer Sailer'

therein lies the difference, two breeds as you say

--------------------------------------------

other than that showstopper, Sportsboaters
-measure to class
-sail in sportsboat races
-don't fret and long for the day their trailable will grow up into a leadbelly keelboat

i know you'll get there one day, but why wait?

fast-track it by purging yourself of all reference/contact with CBH/TY (that is causing you to leave out the 'O' in sailor) and sail a sportsboat race.

I encourage you & KOJ in yr efforts to clear the SB bar set for yourself, nothing worthwhile is easy huh
onward and upward I say

#11 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:55 AM

Elliott website says it is a trailer bucket. It weighs twice what Shorty weighs which is over 10 years old.
What is it with all these TS owners wanting to be called a sportsboat. The ATYSBA not working out for all.

fuck-nose ?

beside the fuquers trolling & trashing the sportsboat discussions on the net
anecdotal says they are internet pests and trolls

wannabes who won't go the yards nec.

Elliott 'seaspray' pdf also say it was designed without a spinnaker !
the bulb is rectangular like a YW Keelboat diamond from 50 yrs ago
hcw says it's a sportsboat but then his boat has only raced TY afaik

anyway is this more wacky (hypocritical?) than a minority at ASBA thinking about encompassing FT10s etc? mind boggling

the rank and file scores of owners supported and joined to create a SB Association ! these guys boats cannot be larger than 8.5, but typically much shorter, now non-member interest hold sway ? i don't get it

where will this proposed 'size' creep end, with out of class Farr 40s or more

theres a thought those AUS TP52s are spritted out of measurement and now need a 'class' , ASBA too ?
hell lets just take over ISAF minus the dinghies and be done with it

I read the ASBA web cover page and it still says 'Sailors for Sportsboat Sailors' (no 'e's) so there's hope the constitution is watertight
KOJ maybe retitle the thread 'Gybeoh' what is not an SB'

#12 knobblyoldjimbo

knobblyoldjimbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:21 AM

just thinking - there's one just come up for sale and I wouldn't want to invest without knowing what I was really buying.

as expected I got a goodly selection of knowledgeable and experienced input - just was expecting the great DL to pop in too.

FS that Blazer isn't still on the market is it!

#13 FlyingScozzies

FlyingScozzies

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:36 AM

just thinking - there's one just come up for sale and I wouldn't want to invest without knowing what I was really buying.

as expected I got a goodly selection of knowledgeable and experienced input - just was expecting the great DL to pop in too.

KOJ, there's one advertised here, http://www.jervisbay.../new_page_6.htm and not too far away.
I sailed one for 10 years, so if I can help ......

I'll be racing Sports boats at the HCW race GS, although there are not many entered even though it's listed on the ASBA website as a 'regatta'.
At the moment there only appears to be 6 entered, and 3 of them I don't think are measured SMS? But you'll correct me I'm sure. ;)
Maybe more will enter soon eh? But if ASBA members won't support one of their own 'recommended' regattas, why would I bother with SMS?
I just bought the boat for a bit of fun with my kids, you know what that's like don't you? Fun? :huh:

PS. I apologise for my grammar and spelling errors, but I used to own a Mac26 ........ :unsure:

#14 Kestrahl

Kestrahl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

E5.9 is 28 years old.

#15 Magilla Gorilla

Magilla Gorilla

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:02 AM

Like most boats 28 years old, technology, boat design, materials make this boat quite dated. However, it was certainly one of the first 'sports trailerables' (and one of the first of this type to go into production) that was designed primarily for racing as opposed to a floating caravan. Whilst they had bunks, these were only to meet qualification rules to allow them to race with a 'T' on their mainsail in NZ.

Some narrow minded idiots have chosen to shitcan the 5.9, but it was one of the first boats with a lifting keel that punched way above its weight and certainly one of the grandfathers or great grandfathers of the modern sportsboat that such idiots believe is the centre of the yachting universe.

#16 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:14 AM

KOJ, there's one advertised here, http://www.jervisbay.../new_page_6.htm and not too far away.

I'll be racing Sports boats at the HCW race GS, although there are not many entered even though it's listed on the ASBA website as a 'regatta'.
At the moment there only appears to be 6 entered, and 3 of them I don't think are measured SMS? But you'll correct me I'm sure. ;)
Maybe more will enter soon eh? But if ASBA members won't support one of their own 'recommended' regattas, why would I bother with SMS?
I just bought the boat for a bit of fun with my kids, you know what that's like don't you? Fun? :huh:

PS. I apologise for my grammar and spelling errors, but I used to own a Mac26 ........ :unsure:

s'OK myte , nearly all TY owners are 'sailers'(sic.) , it's their ID card you could say, you got thru the gate btw

ASBA members are scattered AUS wide, don't necessarily confuse SMS cert holders with them, you can have one without the other, but ideally an active boat would/should be in the Assoc.

the rating Authority, YV, is a 3rd party, This is the strength of SMS over the alts. Probably more of a strength than the formula itself

KOJ the 5.9 and Blazer are both trailable 'yachts', thinking you need the one with the most 'downstairs'? both come up a bit short in that dept maybe but they're ideal for non-overnight ? Sczi would know how much room down in the Blazer? Have you seen the Jarcat or Tramp?

#17 Frank

Frank

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

There is no metion of SMS or ASBA in the NOR of th HCW, so why would the sportsboats turn up to race a mixed fleet event when they could go do a race that will have an SMS division lke the St Helena cup. States in the NOR there is an SMS div.
Sportsboats sailors like to race other sportsboats simple and go where they have a division

#18 DanimalNZ

DanimalNZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:57 AM

i have owned and raced them in NZ - www.e59.org.nz - theres a forum for the class at www.crew.org.nz; there is an annual NZ racing league which has been operating for last 15 years;

PM me if you want - great boats ONLY if you have a class of them; hard boats upwind but great boats off the wind and plane quickly;

heaps for sail in NZ at the moment (www.trademe.co.nz) - you get a lot of boat for NZ$10k;

#19 TwoHeadsAreBetterThanOne

TwoHeadsAreBetterThanOne

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:53 AM

i have owned and raced them in NZ - www.e59.org.nz - theres a forum for the class at www.crew.org.nz; there is an annual NZ racing league which has been operating for last 15 years;

PM me if you want - great boats ONLY if you have a class of them; hard boats upwind but great boats off the wind and plane quickly;

heaps for sail in NZ at the moment (www.trademe.co.nz) - you get a lot of boat for NZ$10k;

Just bought one for A$3.5k (6 ex RPAYC boats have just been sold off by TYC in Northern Tassie, all sold within a couple of weeks at the $3.5k mark). Needs a bit of work, but for the price that's fine. Will convert back to lift keel, perhaps look at Assy for 2 handed sailing to make life easier for inexperienced crew, and perhaps, god forbid, a couple of reef points???

Two Heads

#20 mattchew

mattchew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

Buy the Blazer KOJ. E5.9's are shorter with less cockpit for the crew, and daysailing with the family.
The more sail you pile on, the faster it'll go.
Do a 'Hughie' transformation. Modify it as you go and you'll get great value for money.

That's how you build a class. Encouragement. :rolleyes:

pretty sure i saw and add for the sale of hughie on http://livesaildie.c....php?f=7&t=2180

#21 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

There is no metion of SMS or ASBA in the NOR of th HCW, so why would the sportsboats turn up to race a mixed fleet event when they could go do a race that will have an SMS division lke the St Helena cup. States in the NOR there is an SMS div.
Sportsboats sailors like to race other sportsboats simple and go where they have a division

Frank, if there are more than 10 Sporties SMS rated we'll certainly have a SMS Division, the fact is I'm not sure if there is more than 10 SMS rated traveling Sporties in NSW, as I believe most are from SE Queensland and Victoria.

If your apparently from Sydney, why the hell are you going to Race in SE Queensland when you've got the most uniquely Sportsboat orientated Regatta right here, just an hour or so up the Freeway.

The fact is we have 2 Races running in parallel, half of the Sporties entered thus far are only sailing the short course, while the other half are continuing on for the full Monty, either way we haven't hit the magical 10 boat minimum to sustain an SMS Division for either Race.

As I've stated elsewhere it is unfortunate that the St Helena Cup is being sailed on the same Weekend as the HCW, usually it's the Weekend after, but if you don't feel like supporting a great cause and a great Regatta in your own back yard you go right ahead and sail where you think the "It' crowd is, as the St Helena Cup is a great Weekend.

Btw, there is an Elliott 5.9 entered so we'll see how they go. Last we had a tough time sailing thru them, however we were doing our level best not to sink at the time.

#22 DanimalNZ

DanimalNZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:02 AM

they would be good boats with a rework of the deck - better cockpit, sleeker cabin and retract/artic prod;

#23 titop

titop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

Hello

I did own three of those two at a time.

Upwind hard on class and downwind hard as the spinnaker is small and round doesnt let you get speed.
In many races boat who torn their spinnaker was going as fast as the one with them.

BUT........ I did put two trapezes on the mast 3/4 stays and a masthead asymetric 45 sqm need a stay wich go thru the original spreader to masthead
and then it was a fast boat everywhere
after i change the rudder which break on first attempt then keel ..

the boat was realy fast upwind like young 88 and donwind young 11.

titop

#24 RIPITUP

RIPITUP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:sportsboats and boat building.

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

Is there anybody out there that has modified a Elliot 5.9m to a masthead aso and lightened the keel.

just a thought about a future 6m sporty.

the egan 6m is 420kg sailing weight and carries a 120kg bulb. so thats a 300 kg hull.
now a 5.9m elliot is 600 kg sailing weight thats 350kg hull weight and a 250kg bulb.

so if the egan 6m can stay upright with such little lead than maybe a elliot would also????

has anyone got pictures of a modified e 5.9 sailing?

#25 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

Just bought one for A$3.5k (6 ex RPAYC boats have just been sold off by TYC in Northern Tassie, all sold within a couple of weeks at the $3.5k mark). Needs a bit of work, but for the price that's fine. Will convert back to lift keel, perhaps look at Assy for 2 handed sailing to make life easier for inexperienced crew, and perhaps, god forbid, a couple of reef points???

Two Heads

Fuck! Thats what i have been looking for as a cheap drain racer! Any more?

There is a trailer less one on yacht hub with tube wings! Shame really!

When they first came to OZ i remember 2 of them comming to the TSCQ annual regatta, years ago, cleaned up, showed a lot of bigger boats the way to go, a Red one and a yellow one called Elliot Ness! Funny as when they went up to the piss up and left the boats tied to a jetty and the tide went out! The mooring cleats are real strong, boat out of the water by them!

Rip it up, there was a modded one at Airlie once, yellow, bowsprit and a chopped up cabin from memory! Was a pic on the race week sight for a while!

#26 blackensign

blackensign

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:03 PM

I've been sailing on an e5.9 recently, and clocked it on my speedpuck. It tends to do around 6knots upwind, and 8 - 10 down depending on conditions.
Fairly easy to sail - my mate used it to teach his girlfriend....
They don't like waves very much upwind, but I think sailing it a little flatter might help. Goes bloody well in flat water, and we point higher than just about anything out there. Downwind everything is hoisted from behind the mast, and can be managed with 2 people on board (better raced with 3).
They are very quick compared to other trailer yachts, and faster than the cruisers... but theres no way to compare them to sportsboats.

They are fun to sail as they are, so if there is a fleet nearby its better keeping to class rules.
I wouldn't bother lightening the keel - if anything they'd like a little bit more down there in the heavy.... Unless of course you fitted out with racks and wires for trapezing - but then you may as well buy a dinghy. My Farr 3.7 beats it on every point of sail.....

#27 RIPITUP

RIPITUP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:sportsboats and boat building.

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:23 PM

[/quote]
Fuck! Thats what i have been looking for as a cheap drain racer! Any more?

There is a trailer less one on yacht hub with tube wings! Shame really!

When they first came to OZ i remember 2 of them comming to the TSCQ annual regatta, years ago, cleaned up, showed a lot of bigger boats the way to go, a Red one and a yellow one called Elliot Ness! Funny as when they went up to the piss up and left the boats tied to a jetty and the tide went out! The mooring cleats are real strong, boat out of the water by them!

Rip it up, there was a modded one at Airlie once, yellow, bowsprit and a chopped up cabin from memory! Was a pic on the race week sight for a while!
[/quote]

Thanks googles,

i have access to a 70% complete hull and deck combo that i was thinking it could be a good 6m turbo project. bare hull and deck pulled from mould and joined then left for the past 6 years.
not sure if it will be as quick as the egan but if it still a resonsable hull shape it should perform well enough to compete against the other 6m SMS boats out there.

i might get some correct measurements for the hull and then send them into ASBA with a turbo rig plan to get a dummy certificate made. this will tell me if is going to be worth continuing with the transfermation.

other wise i will be looking for a different 6m boat.

by the way RIP IT UP was sold today as well. moving onto different hands but still racing in qld.

#28 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,080 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

There was one in Darwin tricked up a bit. He was the bloke appointed as NT rep for SB Association. (Self appointed, but none the less) His name and contact details has been posted here.

#29 KiwiFlyer

KiwiFlyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Current ride: A Cat, IOM.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Just thought I'd dredge this up with a short update. Not really a sports boat but getting good numbers in the racing fleet in NZ - and growing again after a long quiet spell. Fleets over over 10 boats seem to be rare for most classes: www.facebook.com/elliott5.9

#30 Pube

Pube

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Elliott 5.9

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Years ago I sailed Elliott 5.9's at the CYCA sailing school and since then I have always wanted one. After years of talking about it, I finally bought a banged up E5.9 that needed some TLC to get her back to her former glory. The previous owner started to fix and modify her as he bought it in a pretty bad state as it had been left to rot as a mooring minder on Sydney Harbour. In this time on the mooring she had lost her lead keel bulb, lost her rudder and stock and the deck surface was ordinary. Apart from that everything else was there to get her sailing.

So the previous owner made up a new fixed rudder blade and went about adding some weight to the centreboard. His approach was to extend the c/board length keeping the same foil shape but made this extension out of lead. The extension was about 0.4m which added around 70kgs.

Other modifications include ditching the original traveller whiched split the cockpit and rigged up a rope traveller/mainsheet system which spans the aft of the cockpit similar to the Elliott 7 rope traveller bridle system, but this had no adjustment. The mainsheet is then rigged back along the boom to a post anchored to the cockpit floor just aft of the centreboard case The idea works well as it opens up the cockpit . He also fitted a tensioner to the forestay which is adjusted below deck again similar to the Elliott 7 modifications that are done. I have since redone and improved both the rope traveller and the forestay tensioner.

We have found the centreboard to be too long and too light weight for what we need. With the added length made it a real mission to raise and lower the mast. This involved firstly lowering the c/board to the ground, raising the mast, raising the c/board, launching the boat, lowering the c/board. The c/board had to be lowered before launched as it was way too tender. This had to be done all again when we were finished for the day. All in all a fair effort especially for the 2 of us.

70kgs is not enough weight on the c/board. However in light breeze <5knots she goes well but above that she just heels over and is way overpowered. This could be counteracted by getting more meat on the rail but we struggle with just the 2 of us. Im in the process of getting a new c/board built with around 175kg bulb fitted. I have read they originally had 200-250kg's down there.

Im also in the process of fitting a retractable bow pole to use an asymmetrical spinnaker, desigining and fitting a new rudder and stock and reworking all the control lines, and finally getting a new pint job. I know at the end of all this work she wont be a record breaker but hopefully a fun club racer that is easy to sail and looks the part.

#31 exraptor

exraptor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:yachting motor cycles travelling

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

Greg Elliott designed the 6.5 an extended 5.9 with the length extended forward , I built one in the early nineties weighed 550kg ,10metre rig with masthead symmetrical spinnakers. The boat still races in Qld, placing third in SB in this years Bay to Bay, not bad for a twenty year old boat. With a lightened keel,it is still using the 5.9 keel, asymerical spinnakers it would be a quick boat. The boat has no modern carbon gear. Sailing is a great sport whether you race a heron or sports boat , the attitude of some SB sailers place them above all others, get a life. By the way I own a SB and still enjoy crewing on any sailboat.

#32 Boatworks

Boatworks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:E5.9

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

Years ago I sailed Elliott 5.9's at the CYCA sailing school and since then I have always wanted one. After years of talking about it, I finally bought a banged up E5.9 that needed some TLC to get her back to her former glory. The previous owner started to fix and modify her as he bought it in a pretty bad state as it had been left to rot as a mooring minder on Sydney Harbour. In this time on the mooring she had lost her lead keel bulb, lost her rudder and stock and the deck surface was ordinary. Apart from that everything else was there to get her sailing.

So the previous owner made up a new fixed rudder blade and went about adding some weight to the centreboard. His approach was to extend the c/board length keeping the same foil shape but made this extension out of lead. The extension was about 0.4m which added around 70kgs.

Other modifications include ditching the original traveller whiched split the cockpit and rigged up a rope traveller/mainsheet system which spans the aft of the cockpit similar to the Elliott 7 rope traveller bridle system, but this had no adjustment. The mainsheet is then rigged back along the boom to a post anchored to the cockpit floor just aft of the centreboard case The idea works well as it opens up the cockpit . He also fitted a tensioner to the forestay which is adjusted below deck again similar to the Elliott 7 modifications that are done. I have since redone and improved both the rope traveller and the forestay tensioner.

We have found the centreboard to be too long and too light weight for what we need. With the added length made it a real mission to raise and lower the mast. This involved firstly lowering the c/board to the ground, raising the mast, raising the c/board, launching the boat, lowering the c/board. The c/board had to be lowered before launched as it was way too tender. This had to be done all again when we were finished for the day. All in all a fair effort especially for the 2 of us.

70kgs is not enough weight on the c/board. However in light breeze <5knots she goes well but above that she just heels over and is way overpowered. This could be counteracted by getting more meat on the rail but we struggle with just the 2 of us. Im in the process of getting a new c/board built with around 175kg bulb fitted. I have read they originally had 200-250kg's down there.

Im also in the process of fitting a retractable bow pole to use an asymmetrical spinnaker, desigining and fitting a new rudder and stock and reworking all the control lines, and finally getting a new pint job. I know at the end of all this work she wont be a record breaker but hopefully a fun club racer that is easy to sail and looks the part.

Sounds like a good project and I am sure it will be a fun ride. Waterline length tends to cap the speed somewhat! The NZ class bulb/fin weight is around 300kg. There are lots of gear and layout photos on the class facebook site, in the photo albums - you need to view all albums to see the gear shots. www.facebook.om/elliott5.9. The NZ Association has moulds for the hulls, foils and bulb.

Lots of people have a soft spot for the boats as many did various training schemes in their youth.

#33 DanimalNZ

DanimalNZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

any one know what happened to the Elliot 6m the squady had replaced by the new 7m? Did them sell the 6m off or keep them

d

#34 juniordave nz

juniordave nz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

there was an Elliot 6m that turned up in chch at the end of last season. Not sure if it was staying here though, or just touring.
The 5.9's are a pretty little boat, I wouldn't mind owning one, good fleet racing

#35 Donjoman

Donjoman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

I sailed with Dayne Sharp way back when... geezus. They were a fun ride, solid even in 30kn :) But they were about J24 speed and a bit portly for solid planing downwind. Perhaps we needed bigger kites back then lol

#36 titop

titop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:54 AM

Ten of the elliotts 6 went to CNC club in Noumea to replace the older 5.9 of the squadron wich were bought by the yacht club too......

So in Noumea around 18 elliott 5.9 njot sailing anymore.
But to do a championship there would need a lot of work....

#37 Boatworks

Boatworks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Meanwhile today.........

Attached Files

#38 Boatworks

Boatworks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

First new boat "Retro" launched in NZ and raced in the Auckland Champs at the weekend - for Mike and Emma Sanderson.  More to come.

Photo by Rob Gill

Attached Files

#39 Obsessed

Obsessed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

Mike Sanderson? Aka Moose?

#40 Boatworks

Boatworks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

Mike Sanderson? Aka Moose?

Yes

#41 Somtam Cowboy

Somtam Cowboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Great little boats the 5.9s
Use to be part owner of one of the Northland boats 'Lunch Cutter'
Would tow it the length of NZ at times to do the Nationals each year.
Great to see Moose and the boys are keeping the flame alive.
Remember winning the Auckland champs in Hobo the Butcher way back, and planning thru the Nolex 25 start line in a ball a spray.
Not so crash hot upwind in a seaway...Had to be flat....Needed one fat bastard in the heavy, and hike hard.
Long live the 5.9s!!

#42 Boatworks

Boatworks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

Great little boats the 5.9s
Use to be part owner of one of the Northland boats 'Lunch Cutter'
Would tow it the length of NZ at times to do the Nationals each year.
Great to see Moose and the boys are keeping the flame alive.
Remember winning the Auckland champs in Hobo the Butcher way back, and planning thru the Nolex 25 start line in a ball a spray.
Not so crash hot upwind in a seaway...Had to be flat....Needed one fat bastard in the heavy, and hike hard.
Long live the 5.9s!!

Not much has changed with the need for crew weight in the heavy.

North Island Champs at Sandspit last weekend, Moose and Retro 2nd behind Voodoo with Ewok (ex Red Rag) 3rd and Brzo 4th. Hobo wasn't there but Zoots was. I am sure you will know many of the sailors.

13 boats raced which is on the low side - we think we should get 20 boats to an event somewhere soon. The new build programme is coming along - 5 boats confirmed so far.

We don't have records of Lunch Cutter so presumably it has had a name change or went to Noumea or Australia.

We have some updates on www.fb.com/elliott5.9

Cheers

#43 Boatworks

Boatworks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:49 AM

Just a quick update for the thread from NZ as we head into our Traveler Series for 2014.

Quite a lot of activity with the new boat programme put together by the NZ Class Association delivering it's 4th new hull last week.  All are sold - the first went to Mike Sanderson and is racing already.  Boat Four (shown here) went to 'Bart' Bearda from NZ Rigging.

10157379_697083370350115_477596502401777

And a lot of the older boats are being refurbished, here are a couple of before and after shots of Rip On Bye in Wellington followed by the new colour for one of the first boats launched in 1983, Blurr (Auckland).

RiponBye - before

1441480_604634602928326_1119597106_n.jpg

RiponBye - after

602865_604634662928320_1553994756_n.jpg

544141_604634586261661_957285550_n.jpg

Blurr:

10288772_697429576982161_542521880747698

For what is now a 30 year old design, we are having a lot of fun and the current problem is lack of boats in NZ (hence the build programme).  Also quite a bit of activity in Australia.  You can follow our fleet by liking us in Facebook - www.fb.com/elliott5.9 - drop us a note to subscribe to our newsletters.

Cheers

#44 Big Andy

Big Andy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

If anyone on the Eastern side of Australia knows of a e5.9 that might be for sale can they let me know.

I am on the look out for one to sail on the Gippsland lakes.

Andy

#45 Pube

Pube

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

I have one in Sydney which will be on the market very soon

#46 pulpit

pulpit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

Just letting you guys know that the 5.9 moulds are in Gladstone in Queensland I'm told. The owner also has the 7 moulds as well.

Pulpit

#47 Big Andy

Big Andy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

Just letting you guys know that the 5.9 moulds are in Gladstone in Queensland I'm told. The owner also has the 7 moulds as well.

Pulpit

Thanks,

I have been trying to get hold of him.  He is trying to sell the pair rather than individual moulds. 

#48 Pube

Pube

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

I have also tried to contact Cameron Pryce in the past for some help with an E5.9 keel since he has the moulds. Got no help whatsoever. So I built my own.

IMG_20140509_160356.jpg

IMG_20140509_160711.jpg

IMG_20140509_160818.jpg

IMG_20140509_160854.jpg

#49 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:19 AM

I have also tried to contact Cameron Pryce in the past for some help with an E5.9 keel since he has the moulds. Got no help whatsoever. So I built my own.

IMG_20140509_160356.jpg

IMG_20140509_160711.jpg

IMG_20140509_160818.jpg

IMG_20140509_160854.jpg

Nice!

#50 DanimalNZ

DanimalNZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

Big andy,

Where are you based? There was a 5.9 moored at mordiolic last year, not sure if it was sold, if interested I can trawl through my emails.

D

Anything more on the moulds?

#51 Big Andy

Big Andy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

Big andy,
Where are you based? There was a 5.9 moored at mordiolic last year, not sure if it was sold, if interested I can trawl through my emails.
DAnything more on the moulds?

I am in Paynesville . it would be great if you could dig up some more info

Thanks

#52 Pube

Pube

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

The one you are thinking about in Mordialloc was for sale a few years ago. It has a lime green hull and is called Tidy Up if I recall and I also recall that the owner is a complete wanker!

It was on the market for a while when I was looking for one. I called the wanker owner up and organised a day and rough time and was locked in full knowing that I had to fly to Melb to see it. I purchased 2 flights for myself and father to fly from Sydney to Melb only to get an SMS from the cock suckng wanker owner who cancelled and decided he didnt want to sell it anymore. Top Bloke!

#53 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

does anyone know the Wherabouts of the 5.9 on Maui, Hawaii? Or the 5.9 that was in Anacortes / Bellingham, Washington?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users