Rather than sticking with our plan and waiting until we leave Hong Kong in about 18 months and finding a boat in the Caribean, Mexico, US or Canada, we are considering jumping now and bringing a boat back here to live aboard. Then we can depart back to the US with it when our time is up here.
You must pick a boat that is ready (or very nearly) to sail back to HK in short order. My window is November/December at the end of typhoon season. Budget and size are reflected in the following search.
We are pretty minimalist and consider our 350FT2 flat here in HK to be huge. With a single burner propane stove, teeny fridge, single sink, and lack of a real oven and significant counter space most of these boats have dream galleys for us. We have both been preparing for this for some time, and we could move aboard very easily. Our idea of 'comfort' and space is on the small side for most people. I was living aboard a Freedom 30 when we met (it IS the BIGGEST 30'r you have ever been on) and we found it great for the two of us to spend a week or so aboard, but there are a few things that make that just too small for our plans.
Safety is, of course, paramount. If the vessel is lacking a few pieces of equipment we would like/require for extended cruising, that is OK, as she will spend the next 18 months in a slip here in HK.
A V40 or 42 would be our dream boat. Safe, attractive, cutter rig, modified keel, aft stateroom, separate shower, great galley, and nice balance between speed and safety/stability.
Feel free to pursue any other sources you may find for boats.
If we wait the budget will go up by several 10's of thousands. So feel free to advise us to wait also. I admit to being torn between anxiousness to get SOMETHING and holding out till we have the money for the Valiant.
Can't wait for the valuable input from this group!