Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

8 Neutral

About knurd

Profile Information

  • Location
    Boston, MA

Recent Profile Visitors

286 profile views
  1. I assumed it was a picture of what he was planning to do with it.
  2. Oh boy, I'm looking forward to reading about this guy in the news: https://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/d/west-mystic-looking-for-an-older-30/7430532357.html
  3. +1 for bad elf. I'm using the same setup, an old ipad mini paired with a bad elf gps. I've had no problems with the combination.
  4. I know this one says Turkish Gulet but I think they meant to write group suicide. https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/d/boston-756-turkish-gulet/7307983771.html
  5. I've used Barnaby as well and was satisfied. He was thorough in his survey and pretty pragmatic in his recommendations.
  6. Great point. Since it's not a fancy square top main I assume I'm safe treating the main as a perfect triangle for this discussion. Going with that assumption my one reef is at about 20% reduction. Is 40% pretty standard for the second reef point? It's rare for me to be out with much rail meat.
  7. I appreciate all the responses. My take away is that if the way I use the boat now doesn't change then I don't need it but given that I want to expand my horizons I'll be calling a sailmaker. Sail4Beer, she's a beauty.
  8. If I were going to bermuda it would be a different conversation but so far I've just been picky about weather. I sailed the boat from CT back to Boston when I bought it and there was probably 4 hours where I was overpowered with the reef in. It was mid twenties off of block island. You've convinced me that the right next step is a call to the sailmaker so they can finish convincing me to stop being cheap and just do it.
  9. How often do you use your second reef? I have a Tartan 28 with a single reef point in the main. I usually reef around 16 knots and if it's 25+ I go out another day. Summers in Boston generally aren't that windy. I'm wondering if I'm missing out by not having a second reef point. Realistically I'm day sailing 90% of the time and racing the other 10% but the forced lack of activity due to Covid right now has me planning a couple weeks of coastal cruising and a couple of distance races for next summer. In the two seasons I've owned the boat I haven't missed the second reef but
  10. For someone with too much time on their hands, Eira, Valentine Howells' boat from the first OSTAR is being given away for free: https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/d/ipswich-free-25-folkboat-historic/6960707232.html
  • Create New...