Jump to content

Mulligan

Members
  • Content Count

    121
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

39 Kiss-ass

About Mulligan

  • Rank
    Member
  • Birthday 10/31/1965

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://
  • ICQ
    0

Profile Information

  • Location
    San Pedro

Recent Profile Visitors

3,220 profile views
  1. I sent pictures to Steve Dair and @poncho !
  2. An old customer (~90 years old), brought a suit of Watts Snipe sails into my shop. Egyptian Cotton! He said he put them up once to make sure they fit, and then bagged them up and put them in his garage. Note that the bad is marked “San Pedro”!
  3. More to come! This is a jpg file. Can send you a PDF in higher resolution.
  4. Yeah, I just need to find where I put it! I’m pretty sure I know where it is!
  5. I pay $105 for a 8oz cone of Tenara TR which is 1750 meters, and $46.50 for a 1 pound cone of Heminway and Bartlett Dabond 2000 (UVR Dacron) which is 2300 meters! So, Its over 3 times the cost by length sewn. I have my machines tuned to use either thread without complication. I've had Tenara unravel in items such as flags, but mostly it's a great product. I just used two 8oz cones of Tenara on a 75' by 20' cover. The cost of the thread was a very small percentage of the cost of the project, and it's replacing a five year old cover that the thread is starting to fail on. I think $100 ext
  6. HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: Adler 166. 1/2 HP clutch motor. Puts V-207 through about 1/2” of anything, including fingers! The right needle is out of a Bernina 217, with some V-92 for scale.
  7. The last alloy spar broke at Watt’s Cup, LAYC, late September or early October. About 18 knots of breeze, small chop, the halyard lock popped, there was a few inches of slack in the halyard, lots of runner and checkstay on, and the rig inverted. Neil Baker (Ullman Sails, RIP) thought we had it back in column, and said “Let’s go sailing,”. Sheeted on, went a couple hundred yards, and the mast broke, dead center of the luff. The masthead was right at the gooseneck. Threw a Genoa sheet over the spreader and sent Larry Martinizer up to cut the main down. Pulled the rig out, and Alan Blunt slee
  8. When we installed the headstay loadcell, we talked to Dave Hulse. Asked him what the maximum load should be, he said “Around 9,000”. Went out for a Wednesday night race, we were at 12,000! Taxi is the structurally stiffest boat that I have ever been on. On Alchemy, when you hit a wave, you could see the boat flex. On Taxi, when you hit a wave you felt it before you heard it!
  9. In 1998 or so, a couple of days before the Ensenada Race, I was at Newport Harbor Yacht Club on the Work Dock. Alchemy was inside, Taxi in the middle, Turbo Pywacket on the outside. The Pywacket crew came down early to test some sails. I was working on the cabin house area as they crossed Taxi. Roy Disney sat down next to where I was working. He said to me “I almost built this boat, but Jimmy Pugh wouldn’t let me put windows in it, too much weight. I like to look out the window when I’m down below on an offshore race! Bill Lee gave me windows!”
  10. I did these for a friend’s cruising boat. I had to replace the studs in the gate fitting, as his stanchions were a little larger than normal, and I didn’t know if the original studs would have enough thread. I got some stainless steel studs from McMaster Carr. Removed the original studs with a little heat, and installed the new studs with thread locker. Spliced the Dyneema on with Brummell Splices, then popped the thimbles in and spliced on the lashings. I finished it off with some tubing to go over the lifeline where it passed through the stanchions. We decided to keep the gate fittings wi
  11. She was designed and built with the long J, short E configuration. After Ullman did a lot of sailing on Orient Express, that had the short J, long E, we decided to follow suit. We moved the headstay back 9”, and got 30” of boom, IIRC. Brad Fitzgerald did the structural work. Don bought the alloy boom off Pyewacket for $2000, after Disney put on the carbon boom. Then Disney offered up an lightly used early 3DL Main for another $3000. The hoist was about a foot shorter, and Ullman put on a foot to make it fit. This, along with replacing the keel and rudder really balanced the boat out nicely
  12. We received the mast on the Monday morning before the Ensenada Race at the Long Beach Marina Shipyard. A lot of parts came off of the aluminum rig. Don and I assembled and stepped it that afternoon. On Tuesday, I had to drive to SparCraft in Santa Ana to have the headstay modified. After that was done, I spent the rest of the day working on the rigging and wiring. On Wednesday morning, I had to do a full IOR measurement, which meant I had to remove everything off the boat by myself. After the measurement, I had to reload everything back aboard, by myself. I then delivered the boat to Newp
  13. I built this for a J-44. Sewed a pocket in for the one piece rod batten. Left a small area unstitched to be able to reach in to luggage tag the lazyjacks on, as I wanted this to be totally clean. The owner wanted it this snug, as he is not tall, and couldn’t easily reach the previous cover. It’s about five years old, now. The owner didn’t raise the lazyjacks enough after he zipped up!
×
×
  • Create New...