Jump to content

jasonsansfleece

Members
  • Content Count

    40
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

7 Neutral

About jasonsansfleece

  • Rank
    Newbie

Profile Information

  • Location
    Maine

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. If you use the 5200 buy the fast cure if you don’t want to wait three or four days for it to dry
  2. We did it. First thing, opening the block drain valve and nothing comes out. Remove the valve completely and the block is completely solid with sediment, hard dark gray sediment. Had to dig 3 inches horizontally through the stuff till it would drain. Something for another day. We then flushed it the way I had asked about in the first post, ran 15 gallons of fresh water through it adding some detergent and monitoring what came out for soap bubbles and oil. New thermostat, gasket and hose. It took a while but we had to row water out and make a trip to the hardware store and NAPA for v
  3. The engine has already been started and so I imagine oil has been distributed around the engine cooling system but I could start by siphoning off the contents of the coolant tank Two hours and 20 minutes to go,
  4. All suggestions greatly appreciated and accepted until 8 AM Eastern standard time Wednesday when I have to go and do this
  5. I would think the oil is already floating on the coolant. If I just drain the coolant through the valve at the bottom of the block won’t the oil just deposit itself on all the metal surfaces as the fluid level drops. Wouldn’t a flow of water through the engine with detergent in it emulsify the oil and carry it out? Apparently a 1 quart bottle was up ended into the coolant reservoir but as soon as the oil started to overflow the bottle was removed. Depending on the prior level of coolant there might be a cup or so of oil in there. painfully prone to over analysis
  6. So, it’s a old Four-60 that had oil put in the coolant. If I were to remove the thermostat, reinstall the housing, connect a freshwater supply to the housing and put the original hose to the housing into a bucket. Start the engine and introduce a little detergent with the freshwater and collect what comes out in the bucket. Would this work or have I got it all wrong? Hose connections the right way round?
  7. You could try this stuff, great for cleaning any gelcoat that has no pretension to a shine,
  8. Wayfarer or CL16 Not modern or asymmetric but will do everything else the OP asks for.
  9. I have a 1985 diesel Volkswagen golf and a 2011 diesel Jetta wagon. Both of them will tow any dinghy I’ve owned at their normal cruising speed (cars’) and up any launch ramp, CL16 being the heaviest. We did travel to one launch ramp and when I saw it was sand I decided against it. The only time you would want 4wd.
  10. That’s very funny, I can’t wait to try that on my Land Rover driving friend
  11. In this application I would use trident marine series 149 bilge/live-well hose. It’s reasonably flexible and smooth, and is a well-made hose. Install it with new hose clamps and don’t buy the cheap ones (clamps or hose) 11/8” is $3.75 per foot at Hamilton marine
  12. You can make a manifold out of PVC portable water fittings from the builders merchant. In the picture the line out is at the top and the two tanks feed the valves (The picture might be upside down and so the above might not be correct but I hope you get the gist)
  13. Thanks everyone. I think the TPU backed nylon is the ticket,
  14. Breakthrough. Good old Brits and their dinghy culture, but Crewsaver and Holt don’t have the right size bags, to much compromise. At Steam flyers suggestion I was looking at Canoe bags and found one with a fabric description. This was the clue I needed. There is a type of nylon fabric, in various weights, weaves and colours with a thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) coating on one or both sides. It’s water and air tight, up to a point, and you weld the two TPU coated sides together with an iron. There are all these people out there making things with this fabric and there’s lots of inf
  15. I have these two buoyancy bags that were custom-made by a company called Yachtsaver some 20 years ago. They leak air through the fabric and they are no longer color fast, they turn the bilge pink. They need replacement. The bags offered by Crewsaver and Holt are too short and the wrong diameter. I could use two per side but there’s no ideal permutation and the mounting would have to change and there would be less buoyancy available. If I could find the right fabric and an appropriate adhesive I would make my own. I’ve tried using Google but I’m not coming up with anything. The ori
×
×
  • Create New...