Jump to content

peterchech

Members
  • Content Count

    182
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About peterchech

  • Rank
    Member

Profile Information

  • Location
    New York Harbor

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. This past weekend, with the new screacher up in about 10-15 knots, we managed to stuff the ama of my f28r. It was dark so we couldn't see it but definitely felt it. It popped up on its own before we had time to ease the sheets, really no big deal even tho gps had us pegged at 18 knots sog right before stuffing. Did not round up or down, the whole boat just seemed to slow down symmetrically. Its still a new boat to me and i've sailed it less than a dozen times so far. With the kite up we have put the ama under but never really stuffed it to the point of slowing down the boat. At least not
  2. As an update, I did repair the rudder and it works perfectly now. Some observations for others who will have this issue: 1. The top part of the rudder is balsa cored, and none of the hardware is mounted in a way that isolates the wood from water. So there is likely rotted core in many f28r rudders and a good portion of the hardware goes through it including the pivot bolt. So I ended up over drilling the holes and filling with thickened epoxy (cleaning out any rotted wood as well of course and replacing with filler) 2. I was able to get the old small aluminum pole out with a hacksaw
  3. Interesting, so how is the line attached to the tube on yours?
  4. My new to me F28R had trouble with getting the rudder up and down the few sails I got in before winter. P/o may have overtorqued things and bent the eye post back too much on the rudder. See attached pic. Does anyone know how far this eye bolt goes into the rudder? How do I fix this? Do i just have to grind it open and dig it out? Measure twice cut first and all... What should I replace it with? I was thinking to beef it up with a thicker and steel (instead of alum) tube around a replacement eye bolt. Any thoughts on this, or improving the original design while im at it?
  5. It is configured to show sog, so gps not paddlewheel. I've calibrated autopilots, never heard of calibrating a gps speed instrument, no directions for it in the manual i could find online. But I'll google some more on that thanks!
  6. Couldn't find the answer in a forums search but I have seen this issue on other boats and figure there must be a work around. I have what I think is an early 2000's raymarine gps/mini chartplotter hooked up to more modern i40 displays. Wan't able to upload pics of the "chartplotter" unit from my phone and there is no item description on its face except the word raymarine. It is a small black square instrument panel, maybe 4 inches by 4 inches. The gps speed on the displays is consistently about 2 knots lower than real speed at the lower end (says 4 knots when we are doing 5.5-6 in re
  7. In the incident that inspired my first post, I did find some wet oil on the plugs. Since then I did some more testing because took the o/b out to north fork and had it on its side again. This time I ran the gas out of the lines before hand, and it was only on its side for 36 hours. It had the same problem, except this time no oil on the plugs. And this time it would not start even after draining the carb and fuel lines and cleaning the plugs. What worked to get it started finally was opening the throttle up 50% while alternating pulls with choke on and off. Obviously as soon as it
  8. I did not run the lines dry before putting away (though i normally do) because this brand new motor was going to be re-started in just 4 days and the fuel is just 1 week old. I have also had this problem despite running the lines dry before storing. Yes the gas has ethanol, not sure where to get gas without ethanol around these parts. If I could buy a new 2 stroke I would! I'll pull the plug and check for oil just to be sure, but this was not what fixed it in the past on the motors I have dealt with. It usually takes pulling apart the fuel lines up to and including the carb, then re-conne
  9. I have had nothing but problems every time I store a 4-stroke outboard on its side (the correct one, usually tiller handle down). For example, on my Olson the outboard is strapped to the floor (i usually sail off the mooring) but when I put it on the transom to use it I have tremendous problems getting it to start. Usually if I fiddle around with choke, pull, no choke, pull sequences I can get it sputtering, but sometimes it takes much more than that. More recently, I stored a brand new dinghy motor on its side for 4 days last week and now it won't start in my back yard (started in 1 pull last
×
×
  • Create New...