Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

22 Suckup

About gkny

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

4,469 profile views
  1. Is there anyone who refurbishes the FlexoFold props?
  2. Has anyone had experience with this approach? The surface is rolled and then a spray gun is used to broadcast the nonskid onto the wet paint. I wonder if you can get a more even surface than using a shaker? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SS4PKfli4k
  3. What about a product like Flexiteek? It seems that many of the European boats are offering this kind of deck. The claims are that it is both lighter and cooler than previous versions of fake teak. I have not ever been on a boat with these newer synthetic teak decks so I have no idea other than what I have read
  4. The boat is an X-372 from the late 80's. I have attached a picture of the port side. The starboard side broke when the boat took a big roll from a large boat wake. Any suggestions welcome. thanks!
  5. I had a cast aluminum chock that was integrated with the toe-rail that broke. It was a closed D shaped loop. I have looked for another but not found a matching one. I am thinking about using a square stainless u-bolt for the chock. I would like the line to be protected whether it is running forward of the cleat or aft of the cleat and the skene or angled chocks seem to work only in one direction. If I use a large diameter u-bolt (say 3/8") is that a large enough diameter to protect the line?
  6. The West system fast hardener will cure at fairly low temps (min of 40 fahrenheit). I did some interior work in a boat and just left a lightbulb or two on during the night.
  7. Recently, a college rowing team was throwing out something like 20 pairs of carbon fiber rowing sweeps. I have seen this happen elsewhere. Could be another source of tubes. They do taper but they are very long.
  8. I ended up cutting the rudder tube above where it joined the hull and then using a jigsaw to cut out a section of the aluminum housing as others have described. I used some Centek exhaust tubing to replace the rudder tube. It was relatively inexpensive and not to hard to fiberglass in. Depending on the sizes you may be able Centek Industries, Inc. • 116 Plantation Oak Drive, Thomasville, GA 31792 • 229.228.7653 www.centekindustries.com4” Vernatube™ Exhaust Tubing Part # 1100504-1METER Data Sheet Vernatube™ is a corrosion-resistant high temperature exhaust tubing design
  9. No, it is not expensive but the fuel pump looked relatively new (I have had the boat about 3 years) and I thought that the electric pump might be more reliable. If not, then I could replace it and use the electrical as a back up.
  10. My fuel pump went out. I put an electronic fuel pump in line with it. I have heard that if the diaphragm rips on the mechanical fuel pump that diesel can leak into the oil and collect in the sump. One option is to put solid bolts in the inlet out outlet banjo fittings of the mechanical fuel pump and leave it bolted to the engine. Would this cause any problems? Another is to put a switch to the electrical fuel pump so that it does not normally run and to replace the mechanical fuel pump. This would leave the electrical fuel pump as an emergency back up and an aid when bleeding the fuel sy
  11. this is how others see sailing https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/10/opinions/mark-zuckerberg-couldnt-resist-column-galant/index.html
  12. The shop manual indicates that there is an o-ring that goes around the injector but I don't see a part number and when I have looked up the sleeves online the sleeve is not referenced as a sleeve kit (some are) so I am not sure whether the sleeves come with an o-ring for the injector. Has anyone sourced the o-ring and have an idea about a part number or size?
  13. gkny

    Up in Smoke

    The literature for some of the Sterling regulators indicate that they have a trip function for overcharging. I am not sure exactly what this means from reading the owner's manual that is online. I don't know if this just means that a warning light goes on or whether the regulator changes the output of the alternator.
  14. This is the Reverso Air sailboat. Most of the nesting dinghys have very vertical sides and next by reversing the forward section and having the bow nest to the back of the aft section. This boat has flared sides and more of a wedge shape. It nests by with each section in its assembled fore and aft position. There are four sections of about 3' length. It creates a pretty high stack but a shorter 9' dinghy done in two sections might not create that high a stack.
  15. I have always found that stepping onto the side of an inflatable was easier than stepping down onto the floor of a hard dink. I am not sure if something shaped like this would have enough stability but I like the fact that the rail provides seating
  • Create New...