Audi - possible sailing documentary?

Flying Wasp

Audi is going well beyond slapping a logo on an athlete with a documentary set to air on Jan. 30th. It builds up to the 2010 Olympics by following members of the USST on their World Cup events. Great for Audi because it's entertaining branded content and great for skiing because it will drive additional interest leading to the games.

From the article:

"Truth in Motion" follows a similar tactic that Audi employed earlier this year -- via another "Truth In ..." documentary that aired on ESPN. "Truth in 24" captured the famed "24 Hours of Le Mans" car race in France, where Audis have a dominant presence. Marketing head Keogh greenlit the film after attending the dynamic competition.

Audi has other sports sponsorships, including a major one with competitive sailing.

Would Keogh launch a "Truth In Knots: Figuring Out The High Seas" documentary? Or another "Truth In ..." gambit related to the company's golf or soccer connections?

"I don't want to say there's going to be a third and a fourth part," he said. "But we are going to always be on the lookout.

Full article:

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=...;art_aid=117723

Audi's sailing site:

http://www.audisailing.com.au/

Any thoughts on what you think would make for a compelling sailing-based story that Audi should document?

Audi have come on the sailing sponsorship scene in Aus. in a big way recently. That website seems only Aussie-centric. Probably because they are trying to break into the Aussie car market.

Do they sponsor much in the way sailing events anywhere else in the world?

This is good news. I have actually emailed a few companies trying to get interest in a sailing doco here in Australia. It's such an unknown sport and has so much potential for cinematic footage and interviews with some of the characters of the sport. I would love to see a sailing "film" shot like a snowboarding or surfing movie, if anyone has seen "thats it thats all" they will know what i mean.

Audi have come on the sailing sponsorship scene in Aus. in a big way recently. That website seems only Aussie-centric. Probably because they are trying to break into the Aussie car market.

Do they sponsor much in the way sailing events anywhere else in the world?

Hmm, Audi Q8 TP has been running for 2 years and the Audi MedCup was the circuit it was competing on, they were co-sponsors for the Swan Worlds/Maxi Worlds last year in Porto Cervo and also had branding on both the 66ft and the 100ft Oats a few years back.

Documentary based on the TP's?

Audi doing anything new in the US?

A new sportboat class, Audi/Melges 20. And the new Audi Winter Circuit, starting next weekend in Miami, dec. 10-12.

My understanding is that Audi Italy sponsors the M20 stuff. US has been notoriously hard to break since they sponsored M24 Nationals in Detroit, most of the management got reshuffled after that.

Archived