Seven Peaks of offshore sailing

Bedford

OK, races like the Vendee or the Volvo are arguably the coolest. But, for us mere mortals, what would be the seven peaks of offshore racing? Here's some...

• Transpac

• Newport-Bermuda

• Fastnet

• Sydney-Hobart

• Capetown-Rio

• China Sea

What else would you add/subtract?

OK, races like the Vendee or the Volvo are arguably the coolest. But, for us mere mortals, what would be the seven peaks of offshore racing? Here's some...

• Transpac

• Newport-Bermuda

• Fastnet

• Sydney-Hobart

• Capetown-Rio

• China Sea

For starters...Vic-Maui?

• Transpac

• Newport-Bermuda

• Fastnet

• Sydney-Hobart

• Capetown-Rio

• China Sea

Round Britain and Ireland, Middle sea maybe?

Edit

Presuming Ed beat me to it

• Transpac

• Newport-Bermuda

• Fastnet

• Sydney-Hobart

• Capetown-Rio

• China Sea

The Worrell 1000 (link) should get honorable mention at least.

This video about the "old days" of the race --which started in 1974 as a bar bet to race an off-the-beach catamaran 1000 miles-- is kinda fun to watch. The Worrell has a dumb name, and it's certainly not on par with the Fastnet and the other races you listed, but it's a very serious test of sailor and athlete. I know, I know, you said "seven peaks"...so maybe the Worrell makes it on the Top 20 list.

Bayview Yacht Club's North Channel Race ------ biggest boat is usually a 30'er -- Ok I will go away now.

Oh NO F&*KEN WAY IS CYC MAC IN THIS LIST!

• Transpac

• Newport-Bermuda

• Fastnet

• Sydney-Hobart

• Capetown-Rio

• China Sea

OSTAR

AZAB?

Probably needs two separate lists, for crewed and Double Hand/Single Hand

Crewed, not attainable by mortals: Volvo

Shorthanded, not attainable by mortals: Vendee Globe

Crewed, attainable by mortals:

• Transpac
  • Fastnet
  • Middle Sea
  • Sydney-Hobart
  • Newport Bermuda
  • [etc etc]

Shorthanded, attainable by mortals:

• Mini Transat
  • Bermuda 1-2
  • Single Handed Transpac
  • Mini Fastnet
  • [etc etc]

Chicago - Mac

You might say it does count but the race has made many experienced offshore sailors eats their words...

50 miles offshore 50% of the time. That also eliminates coastal races like LA to Cabo.

I've heard the 'big three' of offshore sailing described as the Fastnet, Hobart and Middle sea before.

To them, I'd add the Transpac, around Britain and Ireland, South Atlantic and Caribbean 600.

Given that the RBandI is at most sporadic, maybe the Newport-Bermuda should be in there instead.

• Transpac

• Newport-Bermuda

• Fastnet

• Sydney-Hobart

• Capetown-Rio

• China Sea

The Worrell 1000 (link) should get honorable mention at least.

This video about the "old days" of the race --which started in 1974 as a bar bet to race an off-the-beach catamaran 1000 miles-- is kinda fun to watch. The Worrell has a dumb name, and it's certainly not on par with the Fastnet and the other races you listed, but it's a very serious test of sailor and athlete. I know, I know, you said "seven peaks"...so maybe the Worrell makes it on the Top 20 list.

Does that race still exist?

I think you need to split

Fully Crewed - Hobart, Fastnet, Newport-Bermuda, China Sea, Montego Bay, Chi-Mac, Transpac.

Single/Double handed - OSTAR, mini transat, Bermuda 1-2,

Small Boat - Worrell etc

To be included race must have been run at least 5 times, and the first one at least 10 years ago.....

caribbean 600

isn't the Caribbean 600 only in it's infancy?? Let's see if it has the legs to stick around before calling it one of the 7 great ocean races...

I basically listed the seven I would most like to do, and the 600 is right up there - about the right length, warm, big waves, big breeze, plenty of reaching and downwind.

Also, if there was some sort of similar length summer race in scandinavia, where you could race for a few days in continuous daylight, that would be absolutely epic.

• Transpac Vic-Maui

• Newport-Bermuda

• Fastnet

• Sydney-Hobart

• Capetown-Rio

• China Sea

• Transpac Vic-Maui Pacific Cup :P

• Newport-Bermuda

• Fastnet

• Sydney-Hobart

• Capetown-Rio

• China Sea

Why would you race offshore with a full crew - what do they do all day/night ? Some of the races listed can be done two-handed

The list said the peak of offshore sailing - Fastnet/Middle Sea/China Sea/Cape-Rio are all the foothills, The Hobart is tougher with more frequent heavy weather. Transpac is longer but advertised as shorts and tee-shirts downwind (single handed makes it though)

Peak contenders

The Whitbred was attainable by mortals.

Transat Jaques Vabres

Route du Rhumb

The Class 40 RTW - Portamino, plus recent Chocolat was a shit show.

The Mini-Transat

The AG2R (Figaro 2-handed transat)

Melbourne-Osaka

OSTAR

Archived