Bullshit from the Dept. of Transportation

flaps15

Lahood seems to be stirring populist crap. Why couldn't he have just added: before you go to your Dealer listen to what Toyota is requesting. Make an appointment before driving there. Check the Toyota Website. I can just see dealers all over the country being inundated with pissed off customers expecting to get their cars fixed on demand. Maybe I'm wrong, I just believe he shouldn't have said anything. Government getting involved where they really don't belong. Again.

The Hill

Lahood seems to be stirring populist crap. Why couldn't he have just added: before you go to your Dealer listen to what Toyota is requesting. Make an appointment before driving there. Check the Toyota Website. I can just see dealers all over the country being inundated with pissed off customers expecting to get their cars fixed on demand. Maybe I'm wrong, I just believe he shouldn't have said anything. Government getting involved where they really don't belong. Again.

The Hill

Reminds me of Biden saying that he had told his family to avoid air travel and public transportation during the swine flu outbreak.

Its a legal thing. The lawyers said "if you tell them its ok to drive the car, and anyone has an accident, the lawsuits against the Dept of Trans" will be huge.

Think about it -- who has bigger pockets than Toyota? The U.S.A! I can see it now -- 5 year old Susie crying in front of the jury box; "My mommie was killed because that man on TV said it was ok to drive the car. Why did my mommy have to die?"

He did the smart thing.

Its a legal thing. The lawyers said "if you tell them its ok to drive the car, and anyone has an accident, the lawsuits against the Dept of Trans" will be huge.

Think about it -- who has bigger pockets than Toyota? The U.S.A! I can see it now -- 5 year old Susie crying in front of the jury box; "My mommie was killed because that man on TV said it was ok to drive the car. Why did my mommy have to die?"

He did the smart thing.

He backed off those statements already.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100203/BUSI...back-off-remark

WASHINGTON - U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told owners of 5.6 million recalled Toyotas today to stop driving them until they could be fixed -- but officials immediately walked back his comments.

"If anybody owns one of these vehicles, stop driving it and take it to a Toyota dealer because they believe they have the fix for it," LaHood said during a House hearing on the transportation budget.

But an administration official later said that LaHood did not mean to tell drivers to park their recalled vehicles.

And once again proving that public-servant-whores are very rarely held accountable for what they do or say.

Must be very nice having a mindless, useless job that pays six figures plus bennies, and one where the only way to get fired would be if you popped a cap into your bosses forehead. In front of an elementary school. On Career Day.......

And once again proving that public-servant-whores are very rarely held accountable for what they do or say.

Must be very nice having a mindless, useless job that pays six figures plus bennies, and one where the only way to get fired would be if you popped a cap into your bosses forehead. In front of an elementary school. On Career Day.......

The turds do tend to clump together in Washington, and then get Peter Principled to the top. And the rare exception -- like Colin Powell -- end up running for higher ground.

It Starts at the Top slamming Vegas - AGAIN

LAS VEGAS – President Barack Obama is known for having a way with words, but some lawmakers from Nevada wish he would pipe down about trips to Sin City. After sparking a firestorm of criticism from Nevada's elected officials for suggesting that people saving money for college shouldn't blow it in Las Vegas, Obama told U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in a letter that he wasn't saying anything negative about Las Vegas.

The turds do tend to clump together in Washington, and then get Peter Principled to the top. And the rare exception -- like Colin Powell -- end up running for higher ground.

Agree completely, but my brush is broad.

Btw, could you imagine what would happen to one of the higher ups at Ford or Honda saying something like that?.......

He did the smart thing.

There is much truth in what you say.

He did the smart thing.

No there isn't, with all due respect you can not sue the federal government for a manufacturers defect from a car built in Japan. A defect that has effected a tiny, tiny percentage of cars - This is a typical tempest in a tea pot. I remember being taught in drivers ed how to stop a car with a stuck accelerator Neutral, shut off the engine after you are below 30MPH,

How about smoking is it banned? The federal Government has been telling us for years that it will kill you how many law suits filed against Uncle Sam

He did the smart thing.

No there isn't, with all due respect you can not sue the federal goverment for a manufacturers defect from a car built in Japan. A defect that has effected a tiny, tiny percentage of cars - This is a typical tempest in a tea pot. I remember being taught in drivers ed how to stop a car with a stuck acelerator Nuetral, shut off the engine after you are below 30MPH,

The suit wouldn't be over the defect, it would be for negligence for asserting the safety of a product you knew was defective and dangerous. The mfr of the product, and even the product itself is irrelevent.

He did the smart thing.

No there isn't, with all due respect you can not sue the federal goverment for a manufacturers defect from a car built in Japan. A defect that has effected a tiny, tiny percentage of cars - This is a typical tempest in a tea pot. I remember being taught in drivers ed how to stop a car with a stuck acelerator Nuetral, shut off the engine after you are below 30MPH,

The suit wouldn't be over the defect, it would be for negligence for asserting the safety of a product you knew was defective and dangerous. The mfr of the product, and even the product itself is irrelevent.

Name one suit - I used smoking above as an example. How about trampolines and bikes #1 and #2 in kids accidental deaths

LAS VEGAS – President Barack Obama is known for having a way with words, but some lawmakers from Nevada wish he would pipe down about trips to Sin City. After sparking a firestorm of criticism from Nevada's elected officials for suggesting that people saving money for college shouldn't blow it in Las Vegas, Obama told U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in a letter that he wasn't saying anything negative about Las Vegas.

I'm a little confused.

Are you saying that people who are saving for college should take that pot of money and blow it in Vegas?

Double or nothing! It's the American way!

I'm a little confused.

Are you saying that people who are saving for college should take that pot of money and blow it in Vegas?

I'm saying a president should not target a city that is in his country.

How about "People need to have their priorities in order, College costs need to be planned for, Personal sacrifices need to be made!" ( I can even hear him saying it in that preacher voice we all love)

Same message with out fucking over a city that relies on tourism.

i wish he would have told them not to blow it all at the mardi gras...damn college kids...puking in the streets... stay home ya little bastards! save your college fund...my yard is not a toilet! <_<:P

i wish he would have told them not to blow it all at the mardi gras...damn college kids...puking in the streets... stay home ya little bastards! save your college fund...my yard is not a toilet!

Chicago has that problem after every night game at Wrigley, AKAGP has a big German Shepard that he uses to terrify baseball fans after every game. :lol:

Isn't LaHood the only other republican on Obama's cabinet besides Gates?

stepping on your dick has never been party specific, both sides do it regularly and yes he was a former Republican REP.

Audi had a similar problem back in the late eighties. They acknowledged the problem and attempted to correct it. Dept of Transportation didn't get involved then and has no reason to now. Audi has since gone on and re-established itself as a reputed manufacturer of quality upper end, safety oriented automobiles. I can almost see this comment as a way to up the sales of Ford (although I've heard they have a similar problem with the same mfg. of gas pedals) and GM automobiles by virtue of the current administration, just to up durable consumer numbers. Then again, I guess all is fair....... you know.

I'm a little confused.

How about "People need to have their priorities in order, College costs need to be planned for, Personal sacrifices need to be made!" ( I can even hear him saying it in that preacher voice we all love)

"When times are tough, you tighten your belts," Obama said, according to a White House transcript of his appearance Tuesday at a high school in Nashua, N.H.

"You don't go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage," Obama said. "You don't blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you're trying to save for college. You prioritize. You make tough choices."

I expect he'll be hearing from J/Boats next.

I'm a little confused.

"When times are tough, you tighten your belts," Obama said, according to a White House transcript of his appearance Tuesday at a high school in Nashua, N.H.

"You don't go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage," Obama said. "You don't blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you're trying to save for college. You prioritize. You make tough choices."

Are you really that dense? Boat is manufactuor neutral and all encompassing. Though he should just keep his mouth shut as he clearly has no clue about how his words effect this country. I wonder how many millions if not billions were lost last week when he vented against the banks.

Audi had a similar problem back in the late eighties. They acknowledged the problem and attempted to correct it. Dept of Transportation didn't get involved then and has no reason to now. Audi has since gone on and re-established itself as a reputed manufacturer of quality upper end, safety oriented automobiles. I can almost see this comment as a way to up the sales of Ford (although I've heard they have a similar problem with the same mfg. of gas pedals) and GM automobiles by virtue of the current administration, just to up durable consumer numbers. Then again, I guess all is fair....... you know.

The Audi problem was idiot driver induced. The driver would depress the accelerator instead of the brake pedal then shift into gear. The car would blast forward or backward depending on how far they shifted it. Killed at least one person and destroyed a few garage doors. The fix was to put an interlock on the shifter requiring the brake applied before shifting, essentially making it idiot proof. Still exists on today's Audi's. It killed Audi sales for a few years in the 80s. I picked up a nice 5000 back then because they were pretty cheap.

A little different than the Toyota problem which looks like an engineering flaw. Still, how hard is it to just apply the brakes or turn the car off if it sticks?

The Audi problem was idiot driver induced. The driver would depress the accelerator instead of the brake pedal then shift into gear. The car would blast forward or backward depending on how far they shifted it. Killed at least one person and destroyed a few garage doors. The fix was to put an interlock on the shifter requiring the brake applied before shifting, essentially making it idiot proof. Still exists on today's Audi's. It killed Audi sales for a few years in the 80s. I picked up a nice 5000 back then because they were pretty cheap.

A little different than the Toyota problem which looks like an engineering flaw. Still, how hard is it to just apply the brakes or turn the car off if it sticks?

There ya go.

Are you really that dense? Boat is manufactuor neutral and all encompassing. Though he should just keep his mouth shut as he clearly has no clue about how his words effect this country. I wonder how many millions if not billions were lost last week when he vented against the banks.

Sorry, I forgot the [sarcasm] tags for the FRs.

He did the smart thing.

Don't you mean "mommie was to stupit to move the shifter to N when the gas got stuck on"

For fucks sake, 2 cars from millions made and its a fucken panic, If it's to hard go back to fucken walking, it never hurt your grandparents!

jackass..... :P

i wish he would have told them not to blow it all at the mardi gras...damn college kids...puking in the streets... stay home ya little bastards! save your college fund...my yard is not a toilet! <_<:P

Stay off my lawn!

damn right....i just wanna make a public announcement.....college kids...go to vegas...it rocks...you could be just like a movie...fear and loathing...leaving...and a hangover to boot...vegas...yes..piss on vegas ...please...

One of the symptoms of the problem being reported is that upon applying the brakes, the engine revs up even harder. Engine Power >> Braking Force -> car goes even faster. This ain't no sticky gas pedal issue, just as it weren't no floor mat placement issue. Speculation on my part, but I don't think they've identified the real issue yet. IMHO, there may very well be a deep systemic problem with their powertrain design. Given Toyota's rep for quality, this is a BIG problem, and even though I'm hard-core Detroiter, no schadenfruede here.

LaHood is spot on to urge caution.

One of the symptoms of the problem being reported is that upon applying the brakes, the engine revs up even harder. Engine Power >> Braking Force -> car goes even faster. This ain't no sticky gas pedal issue, just as it weren't no floor mat placement issue. Speculation on my part, but I don't think they've identified the real issue yet. IMHO, there may very well be a deep systemic problem with their powertrain design. Given Toyota's rep for quality, this is a BIG problem, and even though I'm hard-core Detroiter, no schadenfruede here.

This could be more than mechanical. I wonder if they have electronically linked the brakes to the transmission. I know when I apply the brakes in my Honda, it sometimes down shifts the tranny to help. If it is downshifting to a lower gear while still accelerating, it could give the symptoms you describe. However, no revving V6 230 HP motor will over power a panicked soccer mom with four hydraulic disc brakes.

This could be more than mechanical. I wonder if they have electronically linked the brakes to the transmission. I know when I apply the brakes in my Honda, it sometimes down shifts the tranny to help. If it is downshifting to a lower gear while still accelerating, it could give the symptoms you describe. However, no revving V6 230 HP motor will over power a panicked soccer mom with four hydraulic disc brakes.

I was under the impression that the braking problem was only with the Prius model. From what I remember they use regenerative braking on those cars. Seems awfully complicated for an automobile. Apparently necessary for this type of vehicle. Check it.

I was under the impression that the braking problem was only with the Prius model. From what I remember they use regenerative braking on those cars. Seems awfully complicated for an automobile. Apparently necessary for this type of vehicle. Check it.

I think its two different issues. The Prius definitely uses regenerative brakes. That's how it gets better gas mileage in the city than on the highway. In fact, if you only drive highway miles, the Honda Fit or VW TDI is a much more efficient model without all the complexity or cost of the hybrid.

The way the regenerative part works is the brake pedal senses initial braking and uses the electric motor to generate electricity to charge the battery. If the braking demands more stopping power, it engages the hydraulic discs. So the harder you push, the more hydraulics it uses and less generator. Of course its all computer controlled and probably the root cause of the Prius problems.

There ya go.

I remember hearing early reports on the Lexus incident. Apparently it was a family of four..throttle stuck. According to the radio, witnesses said the brakes were "glowing red" as it went through the intersection. The father was off-duty CHP officer. Something about how those new cars turn off, though I didn't hear all the details. Apparently there's no "key" like we're used to. It's a push-button off or something..I didn't hear that part. Rental car, so it might have not been so obvious to the renter in a panic situation. I'm not sure how the "shift into neutral" works on the new car either.

A 230 HP engine vs 'power' brakes? Engine wins EVERY time.

Its clear that all Toyota has to do is install one of these on the dashboard or steering wheel.

panic_button.jpg

Pushing it detonates explosive bolts holding all four wheels on thus rendering the car in safe mode.

"push the button Max" Professor Fate (Jack Lemon) The Great Race.

Archived