Here's a good idea

flaps15

"So we call on President Barack Obama and House Minority Leader John Boehner to hold these sessions regularly — and allow them to be broadcast and webcast live and without commercial interruption, sponsorship or intermediaries. We also urge the President and the Republican Senate caucus to follow suit. And we ask the President and the House and Senate caucuses of his own party to consider mounting similar direct question-and-answer sessions. We will ask future Presidents and Congresses to do the same. It is time to make Question Time a regular feature of our democracy."

Politico

Sounds great on the first blush but I don't think it will end up being usefull. Just another way of being able to grandstand and look good for the cameras.

Yep think OJ Trial even the judge was playing to the cameras instead of running his court room. The whole point of Obama demanding cameras when meeting with the republicans was trying to project an image of fearless leader goes into the lions den. Just like his attacks on FOX all designed to rally his base. Watch for commercials this fall using clips from the "Give and Take" with Republicans.

The other night, nothing on TV, I decided to watch C-span. On that night was British Parliament going back and forth in debate fashion, lots of emotion, name calling, etc. Right to each other's faces. Why not set up the same type of format, have them face each other and go at it. It was very entertaining.

I love watching the ministers and the house of commons go at it :>

Sounds great on the first blush but I don't think it will end up being usefull. Just another way of being able to grandstand and look good for the cameras.

I hate to agree, but I do. The first Q&A with the GOP was great because the TV coverage and effect were to some extent unexpected. The Q&A with the Dems was more friendly territory. Both were good and allowed some open discussion of positions; but if the sessions became standard, scheduled events, I think everyone would quickly revert to talking points and speeches with a lot less dialog than we just saw.

Archived