Please Help Our Team

celphtaught

Hi,

A lot of you may know me, a lot of you may not. As those who do know me already know, I go to the University of New Hampshire and am an active member of the club sailing team. We have been moving up through the ranks of NEISA in the past few years, and have been growing as new sailors show up and learn about our great sport. I was just informed that last night or early this morning our boathouse was burned to the foundation, resulting in the loss of our 18 FJs, 10 lasers, sails, parts, equipment, etc. We desperately need the support of the sailing community now as we try to decide how to move on from here.

thank you,

celph

Hi,

A lot of you may know me, a lot of you may not. As those who do know me already know, I go to the University of New Hampshire and am an active member of the club sailing team. We have been moving up through the ranks of NEISA in the past few years, and have been growing as new sailors show up and learn about our great sport. I was just informed that last night or early this morning our boathouse was burned to the foundation, resulting in the loss of our 18 FJs, 10 lasers, sails, parts, equipment, etc. We desperately need the support of the sailing community now as we try to decide how to move on from here.

thank you,

celph

Wow, that sucks.

If you end up folding and have any spare parts or sails for the Lasers or FJs we could really use them at the University of Washington sailing club here on the other coast.

Hey man I think that they are in need of them more than you are. ;)

First off, waay too bad a deal. But before going out and pleading for donations I think it would be best for this community to know what UNH insurance coverage will be doing here. And fuck newby Petrol and my apology as a UW alum a long ago member of the sailing team, for his/her lack of empathy in a trying time.

TOG

False alarm-- just talked to a team member-- it was a Crew Boathouse. Sailing boathouse ok!

that would be wrong, the sailing boathouse is currently in ashes...

Celph, I'm gutted to hear about this and I hope that picking up the pieces yields you some positive result. I'm afraid however that I don't have much money to send along and my FJ/Laser inventory is nonexistant. But, if you think of anything that I can do to help over the next few months you totally know how to get in touch with me. So sorry :(

Good luck and I know you're probably down right now so on top of that feel better. Get a good night's sleep, clear your head for a while and then get right into it.

INoSR

Celph,

That news really sucks, breaks my heart to hear of such a loss related to the sport i love so much. As someone stated earlier, I think getting the insurance guy there is of the most importance at this time. Also, no one was hurt physically, a positive thing. It's emotional. As an active member of our sailing community and a huge supporter of youth/collegiate sailing, we in Chicago may be able to help in some way.

Update us as soon as you can the results of the insurance question.

Hang in there-

ID

I'm really sorry Celph, there's little or nothing I can do from here other than show my empathy, I really hope the insurance covers at least a new boathouse to start over...

Yup - typical ignorant tightwad. The cost of upkeep for a typical college sailing team is pretty paltry compared to most costs for a school's facilities. Sailing's just a convenient punching bag. One wonders if there would be similar gloating if the fieldhouse burned down.

Ugh, that's a total bummer. I spent a LOT of time there while at UNH. Wish I could say I have fond memories, but I was on the crew team and that was the location of our most brutal workouts.

Anyway, hopefully they'll be able to replace the fleet.

Hi,

thank you,

celph

Huge set back, Coach Diana does a fine job with this program, as she does with NH community sailing youth, and youth in general in our area. My guess is that the Wildcats will come back stronger than ever when things get sorted out. I for one am going to do everything I can to help, and God forbid if they catch the lowlife creep who set the fire.

Go Wildcats!

Article including a few pictures:

Clicky

Celph,

PSA has a handful of old Lasers I think they want to get rid of...may be a start for the junior sailing program, anyway.

Those are actually KPYC's Lasers. Not a bad idea though, and I think they would be happy to work out some kind of donation involving them. They do require a little... a lot of TLC.

What is wrong with this world?? Why do nice people's houses and non profit sailing team's sheds get torched?? Why aren't the arsonist burning down the asshole's buildings or the Hummer plant 7 years ago. This world makes me sick. Did you guys take a loan from the mafia or something?? Arsonists have been burning the "good" churches and cool homes for way too long. Why is a boathouse full of windpowered machines a target???

Clicky

Celph,

PSA has a handful of old Lasers I think they want to get rid of...may be a start for the junior sailing program, anyway.

Those are actually KPYC's Lasers. Not a bad idea though, and I think they would be happy to work out some kind of donation involving them. They do require a little... a lot of TLC.

Are they? They've been sitting at GBSA for years (unless I'm out of date). Either way, I just hope UNH Sailing can put something together in time for spring sailing.

reese's now actually. whilst di and i may not see eye to eye on everything, she does a great job promoting sailing and keeping the sailing center running.

Horrible news!

I honestly can't believe that there are people in this world who would do something like that.

I really hope that the UNH team can figure something out to get on the water this spring season, the better of college seasons!

I will ask my coach and see if there is anything the MAISA teams can do to help out.

best of luck,

Shred.

That John guy takes douchewittery to a new level. Compared to rowing, dinghy sailing is practically cheap. Given what I know of seppo college sport, the Football team must have a budget at least 1000X that of the sailors - flying what looks like a hundred players to every match!

If this is arson then it really REALLY sucks. Why would anybody want to ruin college student's ability to sail? As a college sailor myself I am upset. I hope that the team can get back on their feet and make a comeback. I will keep my eyes and ears open for boats and/or gear.

Good luck.

That John guy takes douchewittery to a new level. Compared to rowing, dinghy sailing is practically cheap. Given what I know of seppo college sport, the Football team must have a budget at least 1000X that of the sailors - flying what looks like a hundred players to every match!

that and UNH provides like 25 full scholarships and countless other partial scholarships for football, scholarships for football are more money than the combined budgets of every club at UNH for 10 years

Guys,

As a recent graduate of UNH and a member of the Sailing team I cannot stress what a blow this is. The sailing team at UNH teaches many sailors, most never sailing much before college, valuable life lessons. I myself taught at the community sailing centre this summer part time and the program can push through up to 200 sailors over the course of the summer. The UNH team is going to compete this season, without practice time. This is a huge loss for them as the team have been getting stronger and stronger each season due to great dedication by the sailing team as a whole.

I hope the sailing community will reach out as whole to help the UNH sailing team in what ever matter it can. College teams or local sailing programs that could provide boats in which for them to practice in would be huge, and any donations that could be provided would be greatly appricieated.

The team at UNH is very self reliant and anyone in the seacoast NH community can help the team by contributing to the team by letting them help with their spring cleanup, known as work weekend in the area.

badger

Someone needs to get a fleet of ~6 FJ's up there quick to keep the college sailors racing. I wish I had some contacts, but the south is LOOKING for used fleets at the moment, and I know of none for sale or otherwise available in the northeast. Might give Vanguard a call and see what they can work as far as a loaner fleet or steep discount.

Someone needs to get a fleet of ~6 FJ's up there quick to keep the college sailors racing. I wish I had some contacts, but the south is LOOKING for used fleets at the moment, and I know of none for sale or otherwise available in the northeast. Might give Vanguard a call and see what they can work as far as a loaner fleet or steep discount.

I know I posted this on a thread in dinghy anarchy, but I think RWU has FJs for sale. I also know Georgetown has 420s for sale, and a couple yacht clubs in New England have 420 fleets for sale. Check sail1design.com. Bowdoin has a fleet of larks for sale as well.

Clicky

Celph,

Are they? They've been sitting at GBSA for years (unless I'm out of date). Either way, I just hope UNH Sailing can put something together in time for spring sailing.

GBSA in RI? I think all the Lasers in our racks are accounted for except one grotty yellow one.

Sucks ceplh - you need a donation page that takes Paypal or credit cards Stat!

Our Jr. Program (GBSA) has more than a couple of alums through the UNH program over the years; you are well thought of here.

Celph and the UNH team: my heartfelt condolences.

Having come from a self funded team (U of Texas) I know how painful the loss of your racing boats is.

This is a time for the SA community to step up.

If you have photos of your boats and your yard I think it would help to illustrate the travesty you are all feeling. I think the Ed will get behind this, if he hasn't already.

I'm so very sorry.

Dixie.

Clicky

Celph,

GBSA in RI? I think all the Lasers in our racks are accounted for except one grotty yellow one.

Sucks ceplh - you need a donation page that takes Paypal or credit cards Stat!

Our Jr. Program (GBSA) has more than a couple of alums through the UNH program over the years; you are well thought of here.

+1 on paypal or credit cards. Get Diana on it!

A terrible devastating story. It is times like these when the sailing community comes together to help, so uncommon in other sports.

To that prick Petrel: I hope your fellow teammates @ UW gives you a "tune-up" for your dumbass comment...

Hey Celph,

We heard about what happened, and you've got the Cornell team's support a hundred percent.

If there's anything we can do to help, email one of us. We're a little ways away, but we'll make you feel at home.

Hope you catch him.

No electricity and an unpaved road...it's now been called arson. Does anyone else think this Mantz person sounds surprisingly non-plussed by the events? I would expect her to say that the loss was just heartbreaking for the kids or what a travesty it was (no matter how it happened). Good to hear insurance will cover them (how much?), but the team does need boats to practice in and that still seems like an unknown. I suppose Celph will tune in after the presser.

linky

N.H. Fire Marshal takes over UNH boathouse fire probe Friday, March 5, 2010

Related Articles and MediaArticle: Officials say UNH boathouse fire arson

BARRINGTON — The state Fire Marshal's Office has taken over the investigation into the Wednesday night fire at the University of New Hampshire boathouse on Mendum's Pond.

While arson hasn't been ruled out, authorities have yet to declare the blaze suspicious.

"It's still under investigation," he said.

Walker then referred inquiries about the blaze to the state Fire Marshal's Office, which didn't return a call Thursday afternoon seeking comment.

Police Chief Richard Conway would also only confirm the blaze was under investigation. He said private property near the site was vandalized about a month ago.

Police tape was attached to the gate going into UNH's recreation site on Hall Road Thursday afternoon. The boathouse is about half-mile off the road.

The boathouse contained the majority of the equipment for the UNH sailing team and the university was still assessing the damage on Thursday. Initial damage estimates are between $400,000 and $500,0000.

Destroyed in the blaze were approximately 55 sailboats, mostly Laser sailboats used for competitive collegiate sailing, according to UNH spokesperson Erika Mantz.

Also destroyed were wetsuits, docking, boat motors and generators and several other tools.

"The fire will not end the season or stop anything," she said.

Mantz said the building was insured and the university plans on rebuilding it.

Practice for the new season starts shortly after spring break and Mantz said the team could still compete because when they go on the road to compete in regattas, the host school provides the boats. However, UNH will not be able to host any regattas.

How the team will practice is still unknown. Around 65 students are part of the sailing team, which races all over the Northeast, from New York to Maine.

"We'll work on replacing whatever is needed," Mantz said. "There's still some time after spring break before the season starts."

Mantz said a majority of the team's funding is raised through fundraising, along with student fees that go toward supporting club sports.

The boathouse was also home to the school's Community Sailing Program, which has been operating for 30 years. The impact the fire will have on that program is still somewhat unknown.

"It's a very beloved program that students put a lot of hard work, time and equipment into it," Mantz said.

Foster's reached out to the sailing team on Thursday but they declined to speak at the advice of the university. Members of the team have since scheduled a press conference for 10 a.m. this morning at the Hamel Recreation Center.

The university has already received calls from the public offering to help replace what was lost in the blaze, Mantz said.

hey guys, paypal is up, however it needs approval by the bureaucracy, everyone who went to state knows how long this takes. we are still waiting for the findings of the insurance investigation, so stand by for that. as for donations and help, thank you so much to everyone who has already come forward offering support, but we're still far from being on the water yet and we still need your help!

thanks so much guys, i knew SA would come through

quick note, the donation page on the website is broken, so we are working to get a paypal account set up and running. please stand by for further news.

Saw on the FP that it has been ruled as arson. What the hell kind of thought process leads one to decide that setting a building on fire would be a pretty good idea (if indeed it was arson)?

Unfortunately I have no boats or equipment to donate. Though I could probably loan some power tools for your use should you ever personally catch the perp.

Dude that blows. I am at WPI, and raced against you guys this year, that was a nice set up you had there. I sent an email out to our team, hope we will see you guys again next season (our terms prevent us from doing spring racing...).

is anyone talking about insurance? what's the process? i really hope you guys had enough to cover replacement costs? what's going to be the shortfall?

Based on my experience as employee at another campus in the University System of New Hampshire, I strongly suspect that those boats, tools and equipment were all "self-insured."

One of the news articles said that insurance would take care of some of the loss, but not even close to all of it. The students also had personal gear in the building which will not be covered and is just lost....

Celph, can you start a FB page too with updates from the team about what's happening?

• 3 weeks later...

finally some news! i sit here with the breakdown of just the tools lost in the blaze, and we're up just over 50k. the rest of the gear totals to just under 500k. here comes the bad bad bad part. only the building was insured. this means we got offered 20k straight up cash, or try to work out another option. clearly we're trying to work something else out.

AT THIS POINT we need help with boats, gear, ideas for a boathouse, but more importantly we need to figure out how we're going to get the kids out on the water this summer for the community sailing program. we have very kindly been allowed the use of some FJs from Laser Performance, but we also need the use of a few Optis for the smaller kids. our boathouse isnt just used for our team, its also used by the high school sailors as well as the junior sailors in the summer.

the outpouring of support for the team has been unbelievable so far, thanks to everyone who has contacted me or donated, we appreciate it very much. that being said, how current resources total to under 40k. we are hoping to shoot for a complete rebuild with new boats etc, so the goal being somewhere north of 500k. as you can see we have quite a long way to go. thanks again to everyone from the entire UNH Sailing Team

One of the news articles said that insurance would take care of some of the loss, but not even close to all of it. The students also had personal gear in the building which will not be covered and is just lost....

Celph, can you start a FB page too with updates from the team about what's happening?

+1 for the fb page

sent the paypal to some people back home; best of luck to you

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, another quick update. sailing world has done an article on the team, so check that out when the next issue comes out. in addition, we have a vid up on sail groove, be sure to check that out as well. we recently took delivery of 8 FJs courtesy of Laser Performance, on loan to the team through the summer.

Our first practice was today! several team members got out on the water in preparation for this weekend's racing, and while I was not one of them, being responsible and going to class, I heard that it was a great success.

thanks again for all the support that we have received, we all appreciate it so so much.

-celph

Archived