2010 Ditch Run

hobie18rich

• 1 month later...

we've got two entries (one for me one for the wife)

Nice work! I heard Smiley can't make it, is that true? We'll be there on Friday morning falling out of the van.

Nice work! I heard Smiley can't make it, is that true? We'll be there on Friday morning falling out of the van.

if smiley is the better half of the 'queen duo, then yes she has work obligations. but he's still coming...

'm in on an ultra fast C&C 35. Ultra fast in terms of how quickly you can get to the fridge for a beer. With all those gybes, I'll probably have to bring 'the beehive'.

Scarlett will be there in the Moore-24 fleet. Bringing a couple of college kids to do all those gybes while we fat old guys ride way in the back in the lawn chairs!!! I just love a race that you get to come home from on a trailer!

we're in on the big tiger, and there'll be a lil' tiger (7.5) as well.

I noted there's a laser SB3 (!) listed. Schoon, are you up to the challenge? Where's the vipe? :P

Cazza

Yeah, the double damned beat em up last year, the ditch should be much more to their liking. And their driving all that way, it would only be polite for some other lazers to enter!

post-26920-127569190308_thumb.jpg

we've got two entries (one for me one for the wife)

DUDE! Wish I'd known..... I'm booked next Sat.

No one would shag you, the sheer physics of it are impossible

Is Peckerhead racing going to bring the funny boat? I was hoping to go on that boat but he never axed.dry.gif

if smiley is the better half of the 'queen duo, then yes she has work obligations. but he's still coming...

No Smiley, but I'll be there with Mrs Aa and the gimp.

Now for the serious bizznass:

post-38483-127570640238_thumb.jpg

Friday game at the toro shed?

Also, how bout a side bet on Ditch and Double Damned combined scores? Small division, but could be fun.....I vote individuals not boats to increase comp. Anybody???

I noted there's a laser SB3 (!) listed. Schoon, are you up to the challenge? Where's the vipe? tongue.gif

Cazza

Any idea where the 7.5 will be basing from?

it's the owner of FTboats sailing with his family. PM TVHSD if you want to look/ride the 7.5 while here. He'll be hoisting at RYC, and I'm sure he'll be glad to show the boat around either there or in stockton.

Cazza

I noted there's a laser SB3 (!) listed. Schoon, are you up to the challenge? Where's the vipe? tongue.gif

Cazza

Any idea where the 7.5 will be basing from?

OK SA rocks, again

the H33 bails on the ditch - and my fat ass gets picked up by some rockin' M24 guys

C U losers there

Good for you Pete! I like to read about this race every year. I find interesting and I really can't imagine a H33 fitting in that ditch from looking at a map but I guess it's bigger than it looks.

Good for you Pete! I like to read about this race every year. I find interesting and I really can't imagine a H33 fitting in that ditch from looking at a map but I guess it's bigger than it looks.

there is a commercial port in Stockton

damn strange to be driving around in the delta and see a ship go by, higher than you - (much of the land in the delta is below sea level - protected by levees)

The 2010 Delta Ditch Run registration is open. Thats the 20th annual Delta Ditch Run.

Who's in?

Tiger 2209 Gettin Tacky will be there in the F-18 fleet.

Team Gladiator is making the haul from Portland again this year!

I noted there's a laser SB3 (!) listed. Schoon, are you up to the challenge? Where's the vipe? :P

Cazza

Hoping to do the Ditch on one of the BEST boats made for that style race....the Moore 24 or the SC 27 !! Looks like I'm doing the DoubleDamned on a Moore too.

Too many friggin' gybes on an A-Kite.

Cazza

Hoping to do the Ditch on one of the BEST boats made for that style race....the Moore 24 or the SC 27 !! Looks like I'm doing the DoubleDamned on a Moore too.

Too many friggin' gybes on an A-Kite.

I couldn't agree more, schoon. I've never been as tired as I was after finishing the ditch in a melges 24. We did over 100 jibes in that race. I think my fave ride for the ditch is the moore; easy to manage on the course and easy to drop the rig after.

Has there ever been a more difficult race to sign up for? 4 websites, one bank transfer, and 6 return e-mails and I think I'm in. Would love a shirt but no way am I trying for that....

I see 60's and sunny in Richmond and 80's and sunny in Stockton. You do the math....

anyone dropping a trailer off in Stockton Friday nite and returning to Richmond the same evening? ...or early saturday AM. I'll check on a bus ticket also, but if someone is doing the drop the vehicle and trailer routine, I need a ride.

Is Peckerhead racing going to bring the funny boat? I was hoping to go on that boat but he never axed.dry.gif

Nope it looks like Team PH will be sitting this year out. I am just hoping to get enough of the house packed away so that I can make the CC the next week!!

anyone dropping a trailer off in Stockton Friday nite and returning to Richmond the same evening? ...or early saturday AM. I'll check on a bus ticket also, but if someone is doing the drop the vehicle and trailer routine, I need a ride.

yes and we should have room, but you might have to ride with your old bow ladies dogs in the camper shelled bed

let me finish the logistics and i'll be in touch

yes and we should have room, but you might have to ride with your old bow ladies dogs in the camper shelled bed

That'd be great - let me know. They have room on the Fri. nite charter bus. But, if I'm to go that route, I have to get a check to Stockton pretty soon. I have my name penciled in on the list but it's not confirmed until they receive a check from me. Cheers!

Nope it looks like Team PH will be sitting this year out. I am just hoping to get enough of the house packed away so that I can make the CC the next week!!

That's too bad. I'm gonna bring the beehive. I don't think that R, R, R, Ralph has ever had the honor.

That'd be great - let me know. They have room on the Fri. nite charter bus. But, if I'm to go that route, I have to get a check to Stockton pretty soon. I have my name penciled in on the list but it's not confirmed until they receive a check from me. Cheers!

My favorite logistical technique for the Friday trailer-drop and return to the Bay Area was the 2pm Amtrak to Richmond, then transfer to Bart, and head to the city. For those who have not taken Amtrak out of Stockton to the Bay Area, it's tracks run along some very scenic miles- from up the hill above Port Chicago to right next to the water in Carquienez Straight- just great. And of course they have a bar car... :lol:

Logistics, and the amount of time from home, make it a no-go for me this year.

Instead we are racing against a sister ship in the "South Bay equivalent", the Westport Marina race to Redwood City. Hey, I live up the hill from the finish AND will deliver the boat back on her own bottom with the family aboard- not a bad weekend.

Good luck to all, and remember- the Reynolds numbers are very low when you put your keel in the mud... :P

That's too bad. I'm gonna bring the beehive. I don't think that R, R, R, Ralph has ever had the honor.

The bee Hive ………..you can’t bring no stinking Bee Hive on the DD that is just plain blasphemy…………………………The Bee Hive is for a real race like the South Tower!!!!

FDH, where the hell have you been? Long time no see.

I'm out this year as well we a bad back.

What, no Tempest this year? Bummer. Bad back? chopping too much firewood?

pretty varied boat list

the mighty zamazan in at 52 feet - has a chance if it's light and don't break nothin

and at 48 feet is the double ender 8 meter yucca, also a chance in light to med

a couple of m32s - should be first monohulls to finish if breezy

then first to finish - either B Erklins the elder on the modified D cat, or kilroy on the prosail 40

and that prosail 40 looks like it will be work

Love that boat:

557726007_HQgJo-L.jpg

We are getting the skiff ready to chase the F18s, snapping pics and video the whole way. Will be monitoring 68 if anyone needs us for anything. Just installed a new video camera on the console for some POV action. If you see us give a wave...with more than one finger.:D

Love that boat:

557726007_HQgJo-L.jpg

We are getting the skiff ready to chase the F18s, snapping pics and video the whole way. Will be monitoring 68 if anyone needs us for anything. Just installed a new video camera on the console for some POV action. If you see us give a wave...with more than one finger.:D

One year we hooked up on the quarter wake of Yucca on the Moore 24. In moderate, non-planing conditions that existed, we surfed Yucca's wake for about a mile - passed a couple of boats in our fleet until #52, Kamikazi came over and covered us and broke us from our free ride. Yucca (and Hank) has to be one of the classiest boats on the bay.

Do the Ditch.

Only time I attempted, it was a drifter.

Good luck.

Love that boat:

557726007_HQgJo-L.jpg

One year we hooked up on the quarter wake of Yucca on the Moore 24. In moderate, non-planing conditions that existed, we surfed Yucca's wake for about a mile - passed a couple of boats in our fleet until #52, Kamikazi came over and covered us and broke us from our free ride. Yucca (and Hank) has to be one of the classiest boats on the bay.

What, no Tempest this year? Bummer. Bad back? chopping too much firewood?

Nope, work related. Waiting for the MRI results from yesterday to proceed. Wish I was going. Wind direction should make it a better race than winds out of the west.

Love that boat:

557726007_HQgJo-L.jpg

Careful there Hank, Coasties would question your beverage with the tiller in hand. Heiniken?

Does anyone have a chart of the course reduced and scanned to PDF? Coming down from Hood River and would like to not have to buy a chart book, and would like to do our nav homework on the drive down. If you have one you would not mind sharing please email it to doug@donnunamaker.com (leaving mid day Thurs).

Thanks!

You don't need no stink'n chart. Plenty of boats to follow. Stay inside all boats tacking on the beach and you'll be fine. Leave #19 wide. Spinnaker eater.

I can send you a kml file of my track for Google Earth if that will help.

2006%20Ditch%20Run%20Track.jpg

Cross posted from multi anarchy:

Assy boat for sure. Sym rule the Ditch. :P

There were some ballsy gybes over Middle Ground.

Its an F18 IIRC. The draft can be like, 6".

That's us. We went aground twice. Capsized once because of going aground in knee deep water. It turns out the depth is in feet not fathoms. This year, we are going to stay within the channel markers.

Assy rule the ditch. We had the mast down and were drinking bear on the lawn before and sym spinnaker boats finished. ;)

No doubt assy's rule except when like rated boats are involved. The last 10 miles is for symmetrical spins to get you down the river. Good to know you tested the shallows, always the fun thing to do for all the other sailors on the course. :lol:

Sunscreen Pedro!
roger that

26 Moore's so far...Looking forward to a great drive down!

26! - that's all there are!!

They're notorious for last minute entries....but does Ditch run use the new downwind ratings? Wonder if that will chase some boats away?

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 94. North wind between 10 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph.
NWS bethel island

if this verifies it might be epic - and the multihulls will be sailing 40 miles in the zone of death

I counted about 180 boats, not too shabby. Looking forward to battle in division A.

I wish I could be there with you guys!! Have a fantastic race see you next Thursday.

Its an F18 IIRC. The draft can be like, 6".

That's us. We went aground twice. Capsized once because of going aground in knee deep water. It turns out the depth is in feet not fathoms. This year, we are going to stay within the channel markers.

Assy rule the ditch. We had the mast down and were drinking bear on the lawn before and sym spinnaker boats finished. ;)

A fast assy boat will likely get there sooner (if it blows). But, damn, that's just too much work (100+ jibes on the melges 24). I'd rather be on a moore 24 or an express 27 and only jibe 10 or 15 times. When you only have to jibe 15 times you do not have to wait until you are finished to have a beer.

I counted about 180 boats, not too shabby. Looking forward to battle in division A.

I wish I could be there with you guys!! Have a fantastic race see you next Thursday.

We'll miss you on the water. I'll be out in Tiburon again.

EDIT: And I'm expecting to be jibing a lot. ;-)

looks like a hot dry north wind - could be moderate - could be windy in the second half

hope there is wind for the start - and if the stromg north verifies - the big multihulls could be in trouble with long reaches in the zone of death

not much jibing too

bring sunscreen and lots of drinking liquid

Saturday...Sunny...windy. Warmer. Highs 85 to 95. Northwest winds 15 to 30 mph with gusts to around 40 mph.
for stockton area

Aa nailed the wind, I predict carnage.

May take a ride down and watch them turn up river at 19. New York Cut should also be interesting.

Aa nailed the wind, I predict carnage.

It be blowing!!!

at 0900

post-661-127636284642_thumb.gif

ahhh man - I so wish I was there this year. The beast would've loved these conditions - just would've loved em.

Alas - being away a week from the kids makes the wife yack the hall pass. right thing to do I suppose.

Mitch

Contour 34 tri

-ep all of us stuck ashore are bumming.............for me it was CC or DDR ...........I'll be pissed if this is another light/beat south this -ear!!!

Sooooooo sorry to have missed it this year. Just watched the fleet go past Long Wharf and first of Div. A is just coming round Pt. San Pablo now where it is a churnin' and a burnin'!!! Gusting seriously from Pt. San Pablo through to Glen Cove - Benicia today, and H.O.T. Hope everyone has extra sun creme, not that they will have time or a spare hand to apply. Should be EPIC! for the multihulls - bet many are wishing they had more crew. Tuki prolly will set a record today.

Just drove across the Benicia bridge (11:00am) - Absolutely f'ing nucking to the east. Winds at least 22-25kts and coming out of the NNE. Whitecaps everywhere. It's going to be an uphill carnagefest.

I just saw Tuki short tacking in the Pinole channel about to round Pt. San Pablo. Huge orange thing on deck - life raft?? :blink: Haven't seen the Adrenaline since they passed Long Wharf. She got in a bit of a hole in the lee of a barge and Tuki pulled ahead. Lost sight of her at East Brothers lighthouse. S.O. took the portaVHF so haven't listened in on radio. 35+ gusts coming across the anenometer here on top of Hurricane Alley.

I just saw Tuki short tacking in the Pinole channel about to round Pt. San Pablo. Huge orange thing on deck - life raft?? :blink: Haven't seen the Adrenaline since they passed Long Wharf. She got in a bit of a hole in the lee of a barge and Tuki pulled ahead. Lost sight of her at East Brothers lighthouse. S.O. took the portaVHF so haven't listened in on radio. 35+ gusts coming across the anenometer here on top of Hurricane Alley.

Probably the pouch for the kite.

Keep the updates coming.

I would love to hear anything about Yucca or the wabbits.

Bobby - we shoulda taken the Weta!!!

One of the guys tried - they kicked him out once they realized it was a 14' boat.

Yucca passed Pt. San Pablo about 20 min's ago - looking good - hard to tell where she stood in her division, classes all mixed up at that point. Wabbitts are in Pinole Channel now between Pt. San Pablo and Pt. Pinole. Can't sort who's who from this distance. Flood's building now and breeze is backing off a bit.

Archived