Classic.... well yeah, so is the boat.

flaps15

..and they wonder why sailing/yachting has such a bad rapport amongst the general population.

What is it that you think was illegal in regards to this transaction?

Nothing?

Then why are you spewing shit, flapper?

There's a few marinas in Mexico that were full of boats waiting 90 days to avoid taxes on the purchase price. Something about "offshore delivery" . Not sure If its going on now. And there's tons of California based ski boats that register in Arizona to save money, even if they only take them there once a year. Thank God states have the right to do what they want, we don't need the feds telling us what and how to tax.

..and they wonder why sailing/yachting has such a bad rapport amongst the general population.

Nothing?

Nice edit there George.

Nothing?

Nice edit there George.

Care to elaborate?

Having his new $7 million yacht built in NZ wasn't exactly the smartest thing to do politically, considering the current state of boatbuilding in the US.

Nothing?

Oh look, georgie's back. While I put your new moniker on ignore, please demonstrate to the rest of the forum or anyone who may even care where I posted anything about illegality? I know your not that bright so here, this is about the hypocrisy of democratic representatives and taxes.

Nothing?

Oh look, georgie's back. While I put your new moniker on ignore, please demonstrate to the rest of the forum or anyone who may even care where I posted anything about illegality? I know your not that bright so here, this is about the hypocrisy of democratic representatives and taxes.

Your allegations of hypocrisy are bullshit unless you can prove that you would behave differently if you purchased his boat.

Having his new $7 million yacht built in NZ wasn't exactly the smartest thing to do politically, considering the current state of boatbuilding in the US.

totally agree, this pissed me off way more than the tax dodge. There are plenty of high end builders in Maine who could have done that yacht; French and Webb, Hinckley, Morris, Brooklin etc

Yeah, but we all know who REALLY owns that boat, right?

However, as is so often the case, even the most tone-deaf of Dumbfuck Democrats finds himself outdone by some Republicunt. The GOP Gubernatorial Candidate in Connecticut, Tom Foley, owns a 100-footer that proudly flies the flag of the freakin' MARSHALL ISLANDS... (Same flag as the DEEPWATER HORIZON, as a matter of fact)

And, at least Kerry came up with a name a bit classier than CT's GOP Senate candidate Linda McMahon, whose boat based in Florida bears the name SEXY BITCH...

However, this whole issue is a pet peeve of mine, few things raise my hackles more than this issue of Americans of vast wealth being able to avoid taxes on luxury items such as yachts by resorting to out-of-state or overseas registry... Now, there are legitimate reasons why Kerry would base his boat out of Newport. That fucking thing will need to LIVE in a yard like Hinckley's virtually fulltime, there's no equivalent in Nantucket... But I find it astonishing that Kerry will try to outmaneuver the state he represents, and my guess will be that he eventually forks over the tax due the state after bringing the boat to Nantucket... I would certainly hope so, anything less appears very unseemly, especially in the world of politics, where the unfortunate truth remains that perception IS reality...

Congress really needs to rewrite the legislation/tax codes that guide this sort of thing... I don't have the answers, but make those who want that trendy homeport of Bikini on their transom actually take the boat to the place of registry, perhaps... Or, make American-owned yachts flying foreign flags be liable for the sort of VAT duty that the EU applies to yachts that have spent a certain amount of time in EU waters, something... The current system seems an obscenity, to me...

Only American of vast wealth I've become personally acquainted with over the years has been the businessman Roger Penske ( I had a working relationship with his Indy Car team for almost 20 years) He always greeted me a bit more heartily after I had complimented him on the fact that his 165' Feadship DETROIT EAGLE flew the American flag, one of only a handful of American yachts of such size to do so... To him, it was a no-brainer, simply the right thing to do...

Not coincidentally, if could choose someone from completely outside the realm of politics to make a run at the Presidency, Roger would be my man... Amazing guy, no finer executive will you ever find anywhere, his ability to motivate people and ensure their loyalty is legendary, and his results in the business world and racing speak for themselves... Only problem is, he's way too smart to ever want the job...

Anyway, I really hope Kerry gets a new asshole torn for this one, he deserves it... Not to mention, an American builder like Lyman-Morse or Hodgdon could have built him a yacht every bit the quality of that Friendship...

Nothing?

Nice edit there George.

Care to elaborate?

tou know (enough of a clue for you?)

Agreed.... however, the one sliver of slack I'd be willing to cut him on that, is the likelihood that the build order was placed before the meltdown, and US boatbuilding went into the dumper...

Besides, as Carl made clear, Maine boatbuilders hate the policies of Obama/Pelosi/Reid & Co - perhaps none of them would consent to build a boat for such a prominent Democrat, and one bearing so much of the responsibility for all of their problems (grin)...

Nothing?

Nice edit there George.

Care to elaborate?

tou know (enough of a clue for you?)

Are you claiming that I corrected spelling of "you" ?

Boy, you really got me there.

Have I told you recently what an asshole you are ?

Guest One of Five

Agreed.... however, the one sliver of slack I'd be willing to cut him on that, is the likelihood that the build order was placed before the meltdown, and US boatbuilding went into the dumper...

Besides, as Carl made clear, Maine boatbuilders hate the policies of Obama/Pelosi/Reid & Co - perhaps none of them would consent to build a boat for such a prominent Democrat, and one bearing so much of the responsibility for all of their problems (grin)...

Wow, how does he not look like an elitist on that one.

Oh, goody... Yet another thread heads rapidly downhill, now that this shithead has arrived...

Why, do you think American Jobs are only important when its more politically advantageous for them to be so?

Short memories, a politicians best friend.

Remember during his failed presidential bid one of his big mantras was he would stop the outsourcing of American jobs.

What an ass.

have to agree with you on this one.

Remember during his failed presidential bid one of his big mantras was he would stop the outsourcing of American jobs.

What an ass.

and that was how many years ago - So unless his build order went in 10 years ago the guy is a Fucking hypocrite.

I wonder if it has purple trim to remind visitors of his three purple hearts?

Oh, goody... Yet another thread heads rapidly downhill, now that this shithead has arrived...

Hey fuckface,

Remind me whether I ever told you to eat shit and die.

Why, do you think American Jobs are only important when its more politically advantageous for them to be so?

No, not at all... what I was responding to was slap's reference to "the current state of boatbuilding in the US", and simply pointing out that it might have still been thriving at the time he decided to build ISABEL, and so his personal choice might not have had as much of an impact on whether a particular Maine boat carpenter had a job that year, or not.... Of course, I would much prefer to see such a prominent political figure as Kerry choose to build American, but who knows what other factors might have been at play? Perhaps no Maine custom builder would have been able to deliver as soon as Friendship? I'd suggest we simply don't know enough of the details to crucify him yet on that...

Hey, at least the guy has a good eye for boats...

Scaramouche%204a.jpg

And, that one was built in the USA, and homeported in MA...

What an ass.

and that was how many years ago - So unless his build order went in 10 years ago the guy is a Fucking hypocrite.

He seems pretty hypocritical to me.

How many purple hearts do you have, to put you in a position to joke about someone else's?

No, not at all... what I was responding to was slap's reference to "the current state of boatbuilding in the US", and simply pointing out that it might have still been thriving at the time he decided to build ISABEL, and so his personal choice might not have had as much of an impact on whether a particular Maine boat carpenter had a job that year, or not.... Of course, I would much prefer to see such a prominent political figure as Kerry choose to build American, but who knows what other factors might have been at play? Perhaps no Maine custom builder would have been able to deliver as soon as Friendship? I'd suggest we simply don't know enough of the details to crucify him yet on that...

Scaramouche%204a.jpg

RepubliCUNTS on this board know that he is a DemocRAT, that is sufficient to condemn him.

Chickenhawk BUSH SUPPORTER attempted to disparage a genuine war hero who unlike shrub volunteered for combat duty.

Scaramouche%204a.jpg

Sure but it might have had an impact on whether another Maine carpenter job becomes available.

What an ass.

How many purple hearts do you have, to put you in a position to joke about someone else's?

Chickenshit BUSH SUPPORTER being awarded a purple heart; now that's funny.

What an ass.

Stop being so humorless people will know you are a DemocRAT

I love the position of the supremes' on this one:

. The United States Supreme Court has stated that "The legal right of an individual to decrease the amount of what would otherwise be his taxes or altogether avoid them, by means which the law permits, cannot be doubted."

Those who are offended - do you disagree with the supremes on this?

What an ass.

I'm not real into making fun of people who fight for the country, especially those who volunteer to do so. But do tell us about your distinguished service that puts you in a position to mock someone else's, and how military service has something to do with political parties.

What an ass.

I'm not real into making fun of people who fight for the country, especially those who volunteer to do so. But do tell us about your distinguished service that puts you in a position to mock someone else's, and how military service has something to do with political parties.

Your double standard is coming through loud and clear. I was not mocking our service men and woman, just thought of this video when I posted that. Kerry made his 3 purple hearts an issue in the campaign, perhaps your memory is slipping I'd talk to your Doctor about "aricept" it is never to early to take precautions.

Your double standard is coming through loud and clear. I was not mocking our service men and woman, just thought of this video when I posted that. Kerry made his 3 purple hearts an issue in the campaign, perhaps your memory is slipping I'd talk to your Doctor about "aricept" it is never to early to take precautions.

Please explain how my double standard is showing. I called the guy a hypocrite for his actions related to this thread. I questioned your actions in making light of his combat service. For me to have a double standard, wouldn't I have to defend his actions with the boat, and slam those of someone else who is similarly situated, and/or make light of someone else's combat service but not his? I have done neither.

The campaign was over six years ago. You made light of the service of someone who volunteered for combat. What qualifies you to question a US veteran's combat service?

Please explain how my double standard is showing. I called the guy a hypocrite for his actions related to this thread. I questioned your actions in making light of his combat service. For me to have a double standard, wouldn't I have to defend his actions with the boat, and slam those of someone else who is similarly situated, and/or make light of someone else's combat service but not his? I have done neither.

The campaign was over six years ago. You made light of the service of someone who volunteered for combat. What qualifies you to question a US veteran's combat service?

Here is what I wrote: "I wonder if it has purple trim to remind visitors of his three purple hearts?"

How do you know that I was not reminding people and giving him praise for earning those three purple hearts? Please show the adjective from my quote that would indicate that I was mocking his purple hearts. Here is a clue when the only two people that are getting worked up about this innocuous statement are you and AKAGP it is time to step back and reevaluate.

Not to change the timbre of the thread, but that Friendship 75 is a nice boat. Keeping it bristol would take a lot of work, more than I would be willing to do.

More like: Keeping it bristol would take a lot of money, more than I've got. :D

Scaramouche%204a.jpg

Sure but it might have had an impact on whether another Maine carpenter job becomes available.

Sure, you could be right...

Look, I'm not trying to defend his decision, my point was simply that doing a custom build like this one doesn't happen overnight, it's a multi-year process... Had the American boatbuilding industry already been in the dumper at the time he was making his decision, perhaps he would have thought twice before going with a foreign builder, but I suppose we'll never know...

A guy like Kerry is a very easy target for something like this, of course... But it quickly becomes a question of how far do we want to go down this road. How harshly do you want to judge, say, John McCain, because a number of his stable of 13 cars were foreign made? What about the hundreds of other Americans of vast wealth, many whose fortunes were made courtesy of the American free enterprise system, perhaps in industries or businesses subsidized or bailed out by American taxpayers, who've chosen to have their megayachts built abroad by Lurssen, or Benetti? Should they be exempt from a similar expectation that as patriotic Americans, they should have gone to Derecktor, or Burger, instead?

Again, not trying to defend his choice here - from a purely political perspective, it was remarkably stupid, seems to me... Just trying to make the point that this sort of thing very quickly morphs into a very slippery slope, where does one draw the line, and virtually none of us in today's global economy can escape the hypocrisy of our personal economic choices, if we really do aspire to be patriotic American consumers, in support of the American workforce...

Anyone here care to refresh my memory why Kerry's state should get a metric shit-ton of free, unearned money for doing and providing him absolutely fuking nothing in return?...........

Can someone here refresh my memory as to why a senator from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts feels the need to beat the system and screw his constituents out a half million dollars in tax revenue, and a possible job or two at the boat yard?

As for what he shall receive in return, tons of credibility and a clean slate with the media, the bad press alone is going to cost him a half million to clean up.

This is a fine example the distinguished gentleman from the Bay State makes for the rest of our society. Breaking this down to it most common dominator John Kerry is saying “f… you Massachusetts do as I say not as I do, and don’t bother me with your problems.”

Nothing?

Read the article - it outlines the tax penalties that are due IF the yacht takes up residence/use in the Senator's home state of MA.

Nice of the Senator to send 7 million (their figure - not mine) overseas for his yacht construction, eh?

All the while NEB, Goertz, etc. could have used the work.

Sounds like the Senator could have listened to his own rhetoric and hired some good 'ol hard workin' American folks to satisfy his genteel cravings of yachting.

Just my opinion, of course.

I should add that as a private citizen, I commend his financial acumen. But as both a representative and a political figure in his home state of Massy, the guy's a complete fuking idiot.

Yet another shining example and perfect candidate for the 'Us vs. Them' files......

Here is what I wrote: "I wonder if it has purple trim to remind visitors of his three purple hearts?"

How do you know that I was not reminding people and giving him praise for earning those three purple hearts? Please show the adjective from my quote that would indicate that I was mocking his purple hearts. Here is a clue when the only two people that are getting worked up about this innocuous statement are you and AKAGP it is time to step back and reevaluate.

The validity of my opinion is not dependent upon how many people share it, or who those people are.

So you were giving him praise? You seem to have forgotten some of what you wrote. Perhaps it is you that has a bad memory. Allow me to refresh it:

It appears that your description of him was "fucking hypocrite." Yes, it sounds like you were really trying to heap praise on him. Leaving out parts of quotes is the stuff of Malarkey. Hey, but look on the bright side, it could help you get a gig with certain media outlets.

The validity of my opinion is not dependent upon how many people share it, or who those people are.

So you were giving him praise? You seem to have forgotten some of what you wrote. Perhaps it is you that has a bad memory. Allow me to refresh it:

It appears that your description of him was "fucking hypocrite." Yes, it sounds like you were really trying to heap praise on him. Leaving out parts of quotes is the stuff of Malarkey. Hey, but look on the bright side, it could help you get a gig with certain media outlets.

So you were upset that I called him a fucking hypocrite and referred to his purple hearts in the same post. OK I respect Senator Kerry for serving in the Military and being awarded three purple hearts. I think Senator Kerry is a Fucking Hypocrite for building a seven million dollar yacht outside of the US and for legally dodging taxes from his home state. Sorry you couldn't separate the two statements. Have you made that Doctor appointment yet?

I think you're more interested in a talking point to trash Kerry than you are in the plain vanilla truth. Newport is probably the perfect location for a 7 million dollar yacht, it is the premier sailing location in the eastern U.S. it has the best marina's and repair facilities, not to mention if you are going to hang with other 7 million dollar yachts, this is the place. Further, If his accountant advised him that this was the best possible place for his buck, who is he to dispute good economic advice? If he was honestly determined to avoid taxes this boat would be registered in Bermuda, Monaco, or a hundred better places. Now if I remember correctly from 2004, the RNC made a pretty good dustup about his real estate holdings which extended across the U.S. and were worth something like 30 or 40 million which he pays taxes on. The stink was so foul it rolled over and hit McCain in 2008 for his 7 or 8 properties. So before you go further, and disdain him for evading taxes, and the amount of money spent overseas, could you show that this yacht is even in his holding company and not Theresa's?

I love the position of the supremes' on this one:

. The United States Supreme Court has stated that "The legal right of an individual to decrease the amount of what would otherwise be his taxes or altogether avoid them, by means which the law permits, cannot be doubted."

Those who are offended - do you disagree with the supremes on this?

That's fine if you are a republican. If one is a Demoncrat you are expected to not only pay every possible tax due, but seek out additional taxes to pay. Otherwise you are a hypocrite.

NOTE: I also pay $0.00 in sales and use taxes on my boat by mooring it in RI. Of course it's moored two miles from my house. But there are a LOT of boats here that are not FROM here, if you get my drift.

Can someone here refresh my memory as to why a senator from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts feels the need to beat the system and screw his constituents out a half million dollars in tax revenue, and a possible job or two at the boat yard?

As for what he shall receive in return, tons of credibility and a clean slate with the media, the bad press alone is going to cost him a half million to clean up.

This is a fine example the distinguished gentleman from the Bay State makes for the rest of our society. Breaking this down to it most common dominator John Kerry is saying “f… you Massachusetts do as I say not as I do, and don’t bother me with your problems.”

Looks like we didn't learn much this week about jumping to conclusions on the basis of an incomplete story with a pretty apparent point of view, eh?

A careful re-reading of the original piece shows it was little more than pure speculation that the reason for homeporting the boat in Newport was to avoid the MA tax... But it makes clear that if he takes it to Nantucket this summer or within 6 months of purchase, he'll be liable for the tax... Maybe it's just me, but I would be willing to bet that the accountants for a guy worth a couple of hundred million, the people at Friendship Yachts, and many others involved in this transaction realized he'd wind up paying the tax eventually, if he wanted to berth it in Nantucket... Doesn't dismiss the fact that Kerry and His People appeared to have handled this in an incredibly stupid fashion, but I'm not sure we can be assured it was as deliberate an attempt to avoid the tax on his "toney tub" as the writers - who sound more like Society/Gossip writers than real reporters, with their alliterative affinity for phrases such as "sexy sloop" and "haute house" - would like to have us believe...

As I speculated in my initial post, the alleged "tax-skipping skipper" is gonna pay...

http://bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view.bg?articleid=1269894

So you were upset that I called him a fucking hypocrite and referred to his purple hearts in the same post. OK I respect Senator Kerry for serving in the Military and being awarded three purple hearts. I think Senator Kerry is a Fucking Hypocrite for building a seven million dollar yacht outside of the US and for legally dodging taxes from his home state. Sorry you couldn't separate the two statements. Have you made that Doctor appointment yet?

Fair enough.

Scaramouche%204a.jpg

Sure, you could be right...

Look, I'm not trying to defend his decision, my point was simply that doing a custom build like this one doesn't happen overnight, it's a multi-year process... Had the American boatbuilding industry already been in the dumper at the time he was making his decision, perhaps he would have thought twice before going with a foreign builder, but I suppose we'll never know...

A guy like Kerry is a very easy target for something like this, of course... But it quickly becomes a question of how far do we want to go down this road. How harshly do you want to judge, say, John McCain, because a number of his stable of 13 cars were foreign made? What about the hundreds of other Americans of vast wealth, many whose fortunes were made courtesy of the American free enterprise system, perhaps in industries or businesses subsidized or bailed out by American taxpayers, who've chosen to have their megayachts built abroad by Lurssen, or Benetti? Should they be exempt from a similar expectation that as patriotic Americans, they should have gone to Derecktor, or Burger, instead?

Again, not trying to defend his choice here - from a purely political perspective, it was remarkably stupid, seems to me... Just trying to make the point that this sort of thing very quickly morphs into a very slippery slope, where does one draw the line, and virtually none of us in today's global economy can escape the hypocrisy of our personal economic choices, if we really do aspire to be patriotic American consumers, in support of the American workforce...

I seem to recall McCain being raked over the coals about his stable of foreign made cars, not just here but in the press. And if this was in the middle of an election for Kerry I would think that this would be a bigger story, regardless of the economy.

While it is difficult at times to sort out what is foreign made and what is domestic. What with parts being manufactured all over the world and shipped from county to country to be put into products that may be assembled in one place and integrated into a product in yet another. But a custom boat, docked where it avoids state tax, built overseas... It looks bad and like you said from a political perspective not a wise choice.

Here is another yacht-owning dem making poor choices: Jeff Greene's 145 power boat vs. belize reef

Never ceases to amaze, the sort of horseshit that makes its way into stories such as this...

If, indeed, Greene has figured out how to propell a 145-foot yacht displacing 350 tons by burning a mere 50 gallons of "gas" per hour, forget about him as a Senate candidate - We should make the fucker our new Energy Policy Czar...

And, the accompanying photo is not of Greene's SUMMERWIND, but rather Larry Ellison's 545' RISING SUN... Nah, different billionaire, only about 400' difference in LOA, what's the diff when you're talking about some asshole's megayacht, right?

Not trying to defend Greene here, but one has to take these stories about vessel groundings and reef damage in Belize with more than a grain of salt... I was in Belize shortly after the incident with Greene's yacht, and is seems pretty apparent that such incidents have come to reflect an attempt by the government there to strike it rich...

Here's another more recent incident involving an American "yachtsman"...

$3.4 million worth of damage done to a reef by a 38' catamaran??? Gimme a fucking break...

http://www.reporter.bz/index.php?mod=archive&act=view&article=3515

You guys are retarded

Only in here would someone make the fact that yet another rich guy found a tax loophole a partisan issue.

Really, get a grip, rich people are not rich for no reason.

News Freaking Flash : Wealthy people (dems and repubs) find ways to avoid paying taxes

You guys are retarded

Only in here would someone make the fact that yet another rich guy found a tax loophole a partisan issue.

News Freaking Flash : Wealthy people (dems and repubs) find ways to avoid paying taxes

Yes but if there is a ( D ) after the Rich Person's name then it automatically makes them a hypocrite if they legally avoid taxes. ( R ) 's can avoid taxes all they want with impunity.

You guys are retarded

Yes but if there is a ( D ) after the Rich Person's name then it automatically makes them a hypocrite if they legally avoid taxes. ( R ) 's can avoid taxes all they want with impunity.

Yeah....anyways.........

Here is another yacht-owning dem making poor choices: Jeff Greene's 145 power boat vs. belize reef

If, indeed, Greene has figured out how to propell a 145-foot yacht displacing 350 tons by burning a mere 50 gallons of "gas" per hour, forget about him as a Senate candidate - We should make the fucker our new Energy Policy Czar...

The 50 gph is just the fuel to use generators at anchor.

The 50 gph is just the fuel to use generators at anchor.

Yeah, that's probably closer to the truth... I suppose if SUMMERWIND were never run above idle speed, he might be able to squeak by on about 50 gph...

But, speaking of "horseshit that makes its way into these sort of stories", I must correct some horseshit that made its way into my very own post...

I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I posted that Ellison's RISING SUN is 545' overall, the actual number is a mere 454'...

Musta been in some sort of Dyslexic Dumbass Mode when I wrote that one... (grin)

You guys are retarded

Now be fair, if there is a 'D' after the name it makes them both a hypocrite and and candidate for a spot in the Obama administration.

At least he is consistent...

His other toys weren't built in the US.

539w.jpg

But neither were his opponent's toys

bush_hoists_bike.jpg

Yeah, this stuff can get sticky for a politician pretty quickly...

One of my current faves is the fact that the primary sponsor of Todd Palin's snowmobile racing team is a division of CITGO, the US retailer for Venezuela/Chavez oil...

And here I thought, according to Sarah, Chavez was a bad, BAD man...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/03/todd-palins-iron-dog-team-spon.html

539w.jpg

bush_hoists_bike.jpg

One of my current faves is the fact that the primary sponsor of Todd Palin's snowmobile racing team is a division of CITGO, the US retailer for Venezuela/Chavez oil...

Somehow, when I started this thread I knew it would end up being another "I hate Sarah Palin" thread. (sigh)

Go figure...

539w.jpg

bush_hoists_bike.jpg

Somehow, when I started this thread I knew it would end up being another "I hate Sarah Palin" thread. (sigh)

Go figure...

Not to mention the oil sponsorship was covered in another thread for about 5 pages - what office is she running for again?

Go figure...

Nah, I don't hate Sarah - she's far and away the most entertaining national political figure of our time, after all...

OK, to bring the thread back on track...

ISABEL has already been taken to Massachusetts, The Dumbass is gonna wind up paying the tax, folks

Not to mention the oil sponsorship was covered in another thread for about 5 pages - what office is she running for again?

Oops, sorry about that, that was before I began posting here...

Oh, and the office she appears to be laying the groundwork to make a run for? Well, that would be the Presidency, of course...

539w.jpg

bush_hoists_bike.jpg

http://voices.washin...-team-spon.html

One of your CURRENT faves? Did you just wake up from a 2 year nap?

Go figure...

Nah, I don't hate Sarah - she's far and away the most entertaining national political figure of our time, after all...

ISABEL has already been taken to Massachusetts, The Dumbass is gonna wind up paying the tax, folks

Where in the article did you read that the vessel had been moved to Massachusetts? What I read says it had not been determined where the vessel would end up. I'm not holding my breath till I read where he did pay the MA taxes. Surprised he didn't document the vessel in Pittsburgh. Just me.

539w.jpg

bush_hoists_bike.jpg

One of your CURRENT faves? Did you just wake up from a 2 year nap?

Sorry, but I don't follow the Alaskan snowmobile racing scene all that closely...

Perhaps this news has been out there for years, but I must have awakened about the same time as the Washington Post reporter whose piece I cited, about 4 months ago...

Go figure...

So if he goes to Mass 6 months after purchase he is free and clear. Let see he had the boat built in New Zealand. He knows if he goes to Mass withing 6 months he will have to pay taxes. Do you really think he went to Mass within 6 months. I doubt it. I bet the 6 months expired in the spring. Free and clear, free and clear.

539w.jpg

bush_hoists_bike.jpg

Go figure...

Yes, that was the thread where you said you would take sponsorship money from Citgo, as long as it was under an obscure name, so people wouldn't make the connection.

My link

"To answer your question I personally would not except a Citgo sponsor, but from Mystik Lubricants probably. Why because in most cases it is the name recognition that would provide negative feedback. Citgo would, Mystik Lubricants would not."

Go figure...

Yes, that was the thread where you said you would take sponsorship money from Citgo, as long as it was under an obscure name, so people wouldn't make the connection.

My link

"To answer your question I personally would not except a Citgo sponsor, but from Mystik Lubricants probably. Why because in most cases it is the name recognition that would provide negative feedback. Citgo would, Mystik Lubricants would not."

oh, snap!

539w.jpg

bush_hoists_bike.jpg

Go figure...

My link

You claim that I stated that I would take a citgo sponsorship and in the same post you show where I actually said I would not. Classic

Go figure...

So if he goes to Mass 6 months after purchase he is free and clear. Let see he had the boat built in New Zealand. He knows if he goes to Mass withing 6 months he will have to pay taxes. Do you really think he went to Mass within 6 months. I doubt it. I bet the 6 months expired in the spring. Free and clear, free and clear.

Well, I'll make you a friendly wager he's gonna pay the tax...

I seem to recall the date of purchase was sometime around March, if memory serves (can't find a cite for that at the moment)... The boat has already been in Nantucket over the Fourth of July, and also spotted in Martha's Vineyard on the return to Newport...

And it appears the senior senator may be on the hook for more than $500,000 in state and local taxes because Kerry tied his toney tub up in Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket waters within six months of buying her.

The sexy sloop, which Kerry purchased in March and is currently docking in Portsmouth, R.I., was spotted in the Nantucket Boat Basin over the Fourth of July holiday. Teresa Heinz, Kerry’s wife, owns a haute home on the island’s waterfront.

The Friendship yacht, designed by Ted Fontaine of Portsmouth but built in New Zealand, also sailed into Edgartown on Martha’s Vineyard, according to sources. Kerry was seen coming ashore off the Isabel on the town dock July 16 as he made his way to an event at the Harborview Hotel .

Under law, if a boat owner berths the vessel in Massachusetts waters within six months of purchasing the boat, there’s a “presumption of use,” and the owner must fork over the 6.25 percent sales tax to the commonwealth. Local excise taxes also are due.

http://www.bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view.bg?articleid=1269894&srvc=rss

Beyond my comprehension why the dumbass doesn't settle this immediately, but I think it's pretty obvious he's gonna wind up paying this tax...

Go figure...

My link

oh, snap!

You really are clueless - Do you buy BP Gas anymore?

You claim that I stated that I would take a citgo sponsorship and in the same post you show where I actually said I would not. Classic

Just edit out the relevant portion and it's like you never wrote

On the other hand if Citgo was the presenting Sponsor of a major sailing event and if they came to me and said we want to fund your boat at that same event - I would have to really think hard about rejecting that type of offer.

Right, TM?

How about a second cup of coffee?

You said you would probably take sponsorship from Mystik. Mystik is owned by Citgo. Therefore, you would take sponsorship from Citgo.

To futher clarify:

You would not put a Citgo sign on your boat, but you would put a Mystik sign on your boat. Why? Because you likely would not get negative feedback under the Mystik name.

My link

Seems like you're treading dangerously close to "what the meaning of 'is' is...", with that one...

So, in other words, you would "except" $ from a wholly-owned division of Citgo, but not Citgo itself?

Got it...

Shit, some people used to chide me for shooting racing for Marlboro... But, hell, the checks came from Philip Morris via their ad agency Leo Burnett, so it was all good, right?

539w.jpg

bush_hoists_bike.jpg

Go figure...

My link

Is there a difference between taking money from someone and giving it to someone?

Go figure...

My link

oh, snap!

i have never in my life purchased gas from a bp station. we don't have bp stations in new orleans that i am aware of (at least i have never seen one), so, no, i do not buy gas from bp stations but it is highly likely i have at some time or other purchased gas that they have sold/distributed to another station. it also highly likely i use/have used petroleum based products that have come from bp wells. i have no list of all their subsidiaries.

what does that have to do with you saying you would accept sponsorship from citgo via it's mystik lube subsidiary because since most people don't know mystic lube is citgo you wouldn't receive the negative feedback you would expect if you wore the citgo logo?

Is there a difference between taking money from someone and giving it to someone?

Can you explain that question further, or are you just playing a word game?

Its no word game.

I'm asking what your and others opinion on taking vs giving money.

This thread started out discussing whether or not it is a wise political move for a politician to send millions of dollars to a foreign economy rather then spend them at home. And then avoid the taxes of his home state. Now it has evolved into a comparison to the husband of a politician taking sponsorship money from a US subsidiary of CITGO. so my question is. Politically is there a difference between the 2?

Page Not Found

Sorry, the page you requested could not be found.

-- The URL link may have changed or expired. You may be able to find what you want by choosing a section from the list of links on this page, viewing our Site Map or by searching for a phrase or name.

-- If you copied the link, make sure you have the entire address.

-- Older published articles that are no longer available at latimes.com can be found at the Los Angeles Times archive. Searching is free, but there is a fee for downloading the full text of found articles.

Thank you for visiting latimes.com.

Its no word game.

This thread started out discussing whether or not it is a wise political move for a politician to send millions of dollars to a foreign economy rather then spend them at home. And then avoid the taxes of his home state. Now it has evolved into a comparison to the husband of a politician taking sponsorship money from a US subsidiary of CITGO. so my question is. Politically is there a difference between the 2?

I'm sorry, I still don't follow.

I see both topics as exercises in integrity. Neither Kerry nor Palin is showing integrity.

Its no word game.

I see both topics as exercises in integrity. Neither Kerry nor Palin is showing integrity.

You don't follow the question, yet you gave an answer. Interesting

Go figure...

My link

oh, snap!

i have never in my life purchased gas from a bp station. we don't have bp stations in new orleans that i am aware of (at least i have never seen one), so, no, i do not buy gas from bp stations but it is highly likely i have at some time or other purchased gas that they have sold/distributed to another station. it also highly likely i use/have used petroleum based products that have come from bp wells. i have no list of all their subsidiaries.

what does that have to do with you saying you would accept sponsorship from citgo via it's mystik lube subsidiary because since most people don't know mystic lube is citgo you wouldn't receive the negative feedback you would expect if you wore the citgo logo?

If you would have read the thread 505 brought up I was speaking as an event organizer (I've chaired several regattas) when it comes to sponsors it is what can they offer me for my event and will there be any negatives associated with that sponsor. As is usual here it quickly becomes personal.

Citgo is associated with Chavez and could have some negatives Their subsidy Mystik Lubricants would not - why because 99% of the public would not know that Mystik is part of Citgo - to complicate matters there is a US company also named Mystik that has nothing to do with Citgo.

I still do not get the connection between a politician outsourcing jobs and dodging taxes and a sponsorship deal from a subsidy of Citgo - In one case the "evil" corporation is spending money on an event in the US and the other Kerry is holding money back from US interests

If you would have read the thread 505 brought up I was speaking as an event organizer (I've chaired several regattas) when it comes to sponsors it is what can they offer me for my event and will there be any negatives associated with that sponsor. As is usual here it quickly becomes personal.

Citgo is associated with Chavez and could have some negatives Their subsidy Mystik Lubricants would not - why because 99% of the public would not know that Mystik is part of Citgo - to complicate matters there is a US company also named Mystik that has nothing to do with Citgo.

I still do not get the connection between a politician outsourcing jobs and dodging taxes and a sponsorship deal from a subsidy of Citgo - In one case the "evil" corporation is spending money on an event in the US and the other Kerry is holding money back from US interests

so it's ok cause people don't know or may confuse it with a u.s. co. ok got it :lol: :lol:

so it's ok cause people don't know or may confuse it with a u.s. co. ok got it :lol: :lol:

When it comes to sponsor dollars yes that is how it works in the real world. Let me know when you chair a major event that deals with sponsors. I'll be happy to give you some pointers.

Its no word game.

You don't follow the question, yet you gave an answer. Interesting

I tried to answer, but I'm not sure I'm following your question. Hence my disclaimer.

How did I do?

I tried to answer, but I'm not sure I'm following your question. Hence my disclaimer.

How did I do?

We don't really know that for sure. You should consult with Dog about whether or not you understood the question.

And if you recall, I was asking about you personally accepting sponsorship for your boat, the way Todd does with his snowmobile. Like Todd, would you let your likeness appear on an endorsement of a Citgo company?

Your answer was yes, as long as no one knew of the connection to Citgo.

And if you recall, I was asking about you personally accepting sponsorship for your boat, the way Todd does with his snowmobile. Like Todd, would you let your likeness appear on an endorsement of a Citgo company?

My likeness? Please provide the post where you asked that.

Oh come now. Did I misrepresent your position?

You would take $ for your boat from a Citgo company with an unknown name. But you would not if the name on the sponsorship was Citgo.

Oh come now. Did I misrepresent your position?

You would take $ for your boat from a Citgo company with an unknown name. But you would not if the name on the sponsorship was Citgo.

Yes you did - likeness is a whole different animal than sponsorship. Sponsorship itself has many levels, Do you own a boat, ever get a skippers bag with lots of goodies? How about a free pour of beer or Rum? Those are all sponsorship funded or direct gifts.

In most cases you are promoting their product with signage or the product itself. Likeness would be if they use your name and picture in advertising, an example would be when a sail maker lists the boats using their sails and how they placed.