Brian! Hope your wearing those Asbestos Boxers

flaps15

Gotta love those NACES ejector seats: Low and slow, and it still saved ol' Brian's butte.

Compressor stall, Flaps? In that flight regime it seems likely.

Yeah, notice here:

capt.cbda992a97f548f7b484905687c962bd-5cea795953d84f73af05fdf93e046858-0.jpg?x=400&y=342&q=85&sig=TFFLOtc8iSaQtMfe2dNs1A--

The flames being shot out of the left engine indicate it still had flow - nothing on the right.

"All of a sudden you could hear `pop, pop, pop,' " witness Roland Booth told CTV News. "I saw sparks come out of the one engine. The plane started banking over to the side. That's when the pilot bailed out with his parachute."

Sounds like fan blades seperating.

It'll rub right out....

"All of a sudden you could hear `pop, pop, pop,' " witness Roland Booth told CTV News. "I saw sparks come out of the one engine. The plane started banking over to the side. That's when the pilot bailed out with his parachute."

Sounds like fan blades seperating.

It'll rub right out....

The 'pop, pop, pop,' is a pretty good indication of a compressor stall. The "pops" are called unstarts, the engine trying to reestablish flow and combustion. And they WILL rattle the pilots fillings. Both engines could have stalled, at least partially, as video has the plane initially falling nose high with the starboard wing down, with little forward speed. The 18 has hydraulic pumps on each engine. With one engine the pilot could have been able to retain control and airspeed. However, things happen very fast when you're that low and slow.

Good on ol' Brian. Martin-Baker, the manufacturer of the seat, will be sending him his wet diaper certificate and patch!

Retraction/ Revision: Just saw another video. The CF-18 was doing a tail-stand, where the weight of the a/c is supported largely by the thrust of the engines, which are at pretty much at full power. If one engine chokes, the pilot is officially having a bad day, and a $30M a/c is converted into a smear.

Starboard engine definitely not kickin'. Compressor stall maybe, I wasn't there, sure was low when he bailed. I bet he hurts right now. Glad he's alive.

Couple of vids from the incident.

Flaps and Hobie nailed it: Enlarged photos shows the exhaust nozzle of the port engine fully open, while the stbrd nozzle is constricted with little exhaust thrust. http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/07/23/4739027-pilot-ejects-an-instant-before-fighterjet-crashes You can also see the roiled air behind the port engine.

Starboard engine definitely not kickin'. Compressor stall maybe, I wasn't there, sure was low when he bailed. I bet he hurts right now. Glad he's alive.

Couple of vids from the incident.

Flaps and Hobie nailed it: Enlarged photos shows the exhaust nozzle of the port engine fully open, while the stbrd nozzle is constricted with little exhaust thrust. http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/07/23/4739027-pilot-ejects-an-instant-before-fighterjet-crashes You can also see the roiled air behind the port engine.

I don't know about nailing anything till the Canadian version of the NTSB investigation comes out. You've probably got it correct on the compressor stall, so what do we win? I just hope the guy gets back on the horse after his recovery. You know from the height he bailed he's got a lotta cracks and breaks underneath his dermal layer. I'm thinkin' full body cast. He'll be telling the girls at the bar, he walked into a door.

How's 'bout Long Beach Executive Air, KLGB. There's this bitchin' Sushi restaurant...

Interesting possibility in August. Who's the preferred FBO? Not a big fan of Signature. How long is the drive to Pacific Palisades if we decide to eat/drink too much and spend the night. Only asking cause we have access to a house there when in town and we have an Account with Atlantic, not to mention the landing/parking fees at KSMO are dirt cheap (Read: non-existent) if we top off with JetA.

How's 'bout Long Beach Executive Air, KLGB. There's this bitchin' Sushi restaurant...

Sushi Studio?

Sushi Studio?

Joe's Sushi. Lakewood.

Don't know Sushi Studio. Should I?

Oh, shi'ite, been by there a million times. Have to give it a try.

Watch the video. How many seconds between first sign that something's wrong and the guy standing on the ground safe (I hope!) next to the flaming wreckage?

And then think about how many seconds between first sign of trouble and the decision to bail out -- I'd say less than two, maybe more like one. I think you can sort of see one of the nozzles close up partway through the video -- maybe the pilot got a light or a tone a second or so before that?

Pretty amazing, all things considered.

Interesting possibility in August. Who's the preferred FBO? Not a big fan of Signature. How long is the drive to Pacific Palisades if we decide to eat/drink too much and spend the night. Only asking cause we have access to a house there when in town and we have an Account with Atlantic, not to mention the landing/parking fees at KSMO are dirt cheap (Read: non-existent) if we top off with JetA.

Pacific Palisades is at least 40 - 50 minutes away from Long Belch. Don't know who's got the best LGB FBO for a corporate jet; been a few years. I can ask. ExecAir was were the McDonnell Douglas wheels used to fly.

Archived