J/111 Goes Sailing...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Winter inspiration...  

Pulled out the practice chute for the first time yesterday.  Looks like there has been some sail trading going on down in SF.  Ah well, seems appropriate for beer can racing.    

Now comes with a cassette-system...

Posted Images

On 3/8/2020 at 7:44 PM, Roleur said:

Two J/111's headed to the Salish Sea this month.  Eagles Dare (fka Invisible Hand, Hull #4, I believe) from the East Coast and we are finalizing the paperwork on Hull #94, currently in SF Bay.  Hope to have the boat in Seattle in the next 1-2 weeks and ready to race the Patos Island Race at the end of the month, then Southern Straits, Race to the Straits, and possibly Swiftsure.  

A few interesting "facts":

There are something close to 140 J/111's, most of them built between 2010 and 2015.  That's seems like a pretty good run for the price and period.  

There are/were 10 J/111's on yachtworld recently and 6 of them were sale pending.  Ours never made it to yachtworld.  I know 2 in the SF Bay area sold in less than 2 weeks.  

My wife & I are very excited about the new boat.  We hope/think it will fit very well with the type of sailing that we do in the area we sail.  It took a long time to arrive at this decision, but that means our J/120, Shearwater is for sale (and that's all I'm going to say about that, here).

Congratulations.

My choice for more bang per buck would have been a POGO 40.

2 hours ago, marcus brutus said:

My choice for more bang per buck would have been a POGO 40

>20 knots, yes
<20 knots, no

J/111 vs Pogo 40 at 06:17 B)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, marcus brutus said:

Peter,

You posted the POGO 40S video below; so what's there not to like?

As I said; >20 knots of wind, downwind over >100 nm a Class 40 (or a Pogo) is the ride you want.

For normal racing in typical summer conditions, a J/111 is 10X more fun.
And often faster around the course; elapsed times from Rolex Middle Sea Race 2019;

• Blur J/111 d4 h12 m14 s53
  • Andastra Class 40/Axion 40 d4 h17 m57 s33
  • Crazy Akilaria, Class 40 d4 h23 m34 s31
  • Akouavi Pogo 12.50 d5 h21 m58 s33
  • 1 month later...

Pulled out the practice chute for the first time yesterday.  Looks like there has been some sail trading going on down in SF.  Ah well, seems appropriate for beer can racing.  

Raku_Martini.jpg

• Like 6

For normal racing in typical summer conditions, a J/111 is 10X more fun.
And often faster around the course; elapsed times from Rolex Middle Sea Race 2019;

• Blur J/111 d4 h12 m14 s53
  • Andastra Class 40/Axion 40 d4 h17 m57 s33
  • Crazy Akilaria, Class 40 d4 h23 m34 s31
  • Akouavi Pogo 12.50 d5 h21 m58 s33

Having sailed a Class 40 and lots in a J/111 that seems backwards.....   or you just schooled much faster boats.  Around here a J/111 rates 30sec/mile slower than a Gen 1 Class 40 rated without water ballast.   

• Like 1
11 hours ago, solosailor said:

Having sailed a Class 40 and lots in a J/111 that seems backwards.....   or you just schooled much faster boats.  Around here a J/111 rates 30sec/mile slower than a Gen 1 Class 40 rated without water ballast.   

It's all about the conditions.  The point Peter was making was that in light air (the conditions I experience mostly), a Class 40 isn't a good choice as a much slower rated J/111 can easily sail a light air course faster.  The Middle Sea Race was a predominantly light air event last year, which helps prove the point.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

Made the trip across Lake Michigan on Saturday and the new Shorthanded sits in her slip at Eldean’s in Macatawa, MI. Now it’s time the learn the J111. 

F1E79491-BCFD-4BF6-80A4-1DBD450BC92E.jpeg

Boat looks great and glad you have a safe crossing.  Wishing a fun 2020 summer and beyond in the new addition!

On 5/15/2020 at 11:00 PM, Shorthanded said:

Made the trip across Lake Michigan on Saturday and the new Shorthanded sits in her slip at Eldean’s in Macatawa, MI. Now it’s time the learn the J111. 

F1E79491-BCFD-4BF6-80A4-1DBD450BC92E.jpeg

I've been crewing on one for two seasons now and I'm still learning, but I can tell you two things:

1) You need to foot, foot more, you're too high, stop pinching and foot off.  Got speed?  OK now try getting her higher.

2) You're sailing too deep, stop soaking, heat her up, get her hotter.  Got speed?  OK now try getting lower.

It's a constant struggle with the old sailing brain of heavier displacement.  But if you follow your numbers and go after speed first you'll be in good shape.

My tip:

Get an ORC Speed guide for your short handed configuration (especially: reduced crew weight).   I found the ORC polar numbers to be very accurate and they can be good "target" to shoot for and make you understand if you are sailing the boat well or not.

The speed guide also contains target heel.   You will be surprised how much heel the J/111 likes to get the best out of her!   

Great looking boat!!!

Note that the ORC polars are based on wind at 10 meter. On the J/111 with a B&G sensor the height is 17.6 meter. So target speed at 10 knots in the Speed Guide is really target speed at 9.32 knots wind on the instruments. Or just add 4-6% boat speed to the target speed for a given TWS (a bit more at v3 knots and a bit less at 18.

ORC underestimates the effect of crew weight somewhat; i e you will be a bit faster shorthanded in light airs and downwind where I easily beat the fully crewed polars, but be 5-10% off pace when you're powered up. Typically at 92-93% upwind.

Below are our targets. As said, drive to speed upwind. NEVER point before you're on target. We've also drive to target TWA (and heel angle) downwind. Very easy to hunt for speed without increasing VMG :D

Targets.jpg

• Like 1

I assume those are your full crew targets Peter?

I have an ORC speed guide for my boat with a crew weight of 135 kg.    I scale the 10m winds in Expedition by 7% to obtain mast height numbers.  As I sail on non-tidal water most of the time my log is now very well calibrated as well and the ORC polar proves to be very accurate. Still,  downwind in light air I can exceed the polar by 1-3%.  The target heel is about 25-30 degrees (upwind) for >10kt of wind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZeeZee said:

I assume those are your full crew targets Peter?

Yup. I will update the shorthanded ones soon... The biggest problem is that we've been racing in 5 different rating rules with multiple configurations. Also had to adjust crew weight at the crew just got fatter and fatter... Never ends.:lol:

MADMEN (J/111 - Martini glass) regularly seems to walk away from California Condor (Antrim Class 40) in light wind winter SF events.

MADMEN seems to be a fairly serious program. It would be interesting to know if the "slow" Class 40s are just taking a relaxed attitude and could win if they tightened things up.

• Like 1

Finally took a break from sailing to get the naming taken care of...

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_5987.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting!  What rating rule are you using with the Code 65?  

49 minutes ago, Roleur said:

Interesting!  What rating rule are you using with the Code 65?  

PHRF and ORR.

For PHRF, its a 3 second hit on the DHCP, no hit on the regular handicap for TOD or TOT though we wouldn't be using the sail in course races anyway.

For ORR, we run two races.  For the BV Mac it will be about a 3 second hit.  For Chicago, we race under one-design so the sail won't be used and all boats will conform to the rating rule.

In both cases, the staysail is not penalized but we can't use it in one-design.

Hroth

• Like 2
21 hours ago, hrothgar said:

New Code 65 with a staysail up too.  Pretty quick combination. 

I cannot see in that photo, do you have a bobstay to support the pole? This seems to be a big question for the Code 0 sail and one of the reasons I haven't bought one. 

23 hours ago, hrothgar said:

New Code 65 with a staysail up too.  Pretty quick combination. 

So - that's an LRH/Tweener?

It doesn't measure as a spinnaker - right?

It looks light - what's the sailcloth?

1 hour ago, danstanford said:

I cannot see in that photo, do you have a bobstay to support the pole? This seems to be a big question for the Code 0 sail and one of the reasons I haven't bought one. 

Yes, we have a bobstay.  Totally necessary for a code sail because of the halyard tension required to establish a firm luff entry.

Hroth

8 minutes ago, us7070 said:

So - that's an LRH/Tweener?

It doesn't measure as a spinnaker - right?

It looks light - what's the sailcloth?

Yes

Yes

Its a North Helix luff system.  Sailcloth is Aramid Laminate Code Xi06 CDT. (whatever that is!)

Hroth

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

Yes, we have a bobstay.  Totally necessary for a code sail because of the halyard tension required to establish a firm luff entry.

Hroth

LRH should be okay with much less luff tension than a code 0- at least that's what i thought...

is it?

2 minutes ago, us7070 said:

LRH should be okay with much less luff tension than a code 0- at least that's what i thought...

is it?

Its about halfway in between the 0 and a normal kite.  We have always had a bobstay.  I think its a good precaution no matter what you are running.

Hroth

6 hours ago, us7070 said:

is it?

We ended up with a lot of load on out LRH and Mule on the 125.  Way more load than we thought, we actually broke the dog bone in the hull that the bobstay was attached to.   

• 2 weeks later...

Curious as to what kind of fuel economy people are seeing.  We were moving the boat last weekend into a stiff north wind most of the time and used as follows:

• Day 1.  6 hours.  about 3000 rpm.  2.5 gallons.  .416 GPH (motor sailing part of the way)
  • Day 2.  12 hours.  about 3000 rpm.  7.5 gallons.  .625 GPH (into a stiff northerly with waves.)
  • DAy 3.  7 hours.  about 3200 rpm.  3 gallons.  .428 GPH (flat water into the wind)

If feels like we always plan for more fuel than we need (which is smart I suppose).  Curious as to what others do.

Hroth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

RMSR21-33.jpg

Our race report from a windy Rolex Middle Sea Race.

Really tired of 600 nm races where we spend days in +30 knots with J3.5 and multiple reefs, trying to stay dry in our offshore gear. Next year we'll focus on light wind races and umbrella drinks in Capri and St Tropez :lol:

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Blur said:

RMSR21-33.jpg

Our race report from a windy Rolex Middle Sea Race.

Really tired of 600 nm races where we spend days in +30 knots with J3.5 and multiple reefs, trying to stay dry in our offshore gear. Next year we'll focus on light wind races and umbrella drinks in Capri and St Tropez :lol:

Great report! Thanks for sharing.  All us armchair guys appreciate the info you put out.  How did the boat do going wing on wing?  Please don’t tell me you hit 20+ doing that?

On 5/2/2020 at 4:45 PM, Roleur said:

Raku_Martini.jpg

Apologies for such a tardy congratulations on your new (to you) J-111! Wonderful to see you flying MADMEN's (hull #17) retired Quantum A2! Wishing you all the very best in the PNW!

MADMEN Racing. 

• Like 1

"With 90′ of waterline reaching at TWA 80-100 we knew this was mostly about minimizing our losses. Very uncomfortable in a J/111…"

Don't you use a reaching strut in these conditions?   Using a strut I find reaching in 90-110 with only jib and main very comfortable and fast.

5 hours ago, T sailor said:

Great report! Thanks for sharing.  All us armchair guys appreciate the info you put out.  How did the boat do going wing on wing?  Please don’t tell me you hit 20+ doing that?

It went quite well. TWA 165 worked well, but the helmsman needs to concentrate. When the jib fills I relly thought it would rip out of the foil... We're now considering a light whisker pole, but need to understand how IRC, ORR and other rules rate it. 

Speedwise we were hitting 22 knots (our previous record) a few times but then hit 24.33 on a really good wave. The guy helming has promised to do a tattoo with that number :D

43 minutes ago, ZeeZee said:

Don't you use a reaching strut in these conditions?   Using a strut I find reaching in 90-110 with only jib and main very comfortable and fast.

What's your setup here? Also, effect on rating? We're thinking of a whisker pole for dead downwind in 30+ knots, but IRC see no difference vs a reaching strut. 

And to clarify. Pretty fast for a 36' boat (if you're not next to a JPK 11.80 thats rates lower than you) - but not very comfy in a chop. TWA 60-70 is a nightmare and is guaranteed to make a few people seasick, TWA 80-100 is a bit better.

60-70 indeed not ideal.  To close to use a outboard sheet or strut.

I use a 2m long strut fixed with a soft shackle to a through-deck pad-eye.  At the side of the jib the strut is fixed to an outboard sheet. I think IRC requires you to fix the strut at the mast (not ideal as it put a lot of side-compression force at the mast; somehow these rating rules always force you to make a less than ideal setup  :-) ).

IMG_20191002_173359.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don’t remember seeing that published in the update. The way I understand the rule is that if you have a spinnaker pole onboard and carry a whisker pole for the purpose of sheeting a headsail to leeward the penalty is less than if you’re a boat that doesn’t carry a spinnaker pole but carries a whisker pole for outboard sheeting the jib to leeward

"a spar used as a whisker pole to set a headsail or flying headsail only requires declaration if used to leeward (rule 21.3.6)"

link

My interpretation is that a spar used to leeward would  render the same penalty independently of what's used to windward?

• 1 month later...

There is already 2 j111s in Charleston for race week, any Annapolis/Florida owners thinking about coming down? Would be awesome to get a few more down here and do some one design racing… 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Peter,

Who made your soft dodger?

I did :)

2 layers of foam sleeping pads glued together with Sikaflex 291i to form one giant sheet. Cut to shape. Cover in sprayhood cloth including a batten to help hold it up. Add bolt ropes on sides + sprayhood slides on both side of the companionway. 

Works really well. Added benefit: soundproofing - the soft material muffles most of the mayhem going on on deck, so makes it much easier to sleep down below.

More details here. Scroll down to the comments for more photos.

sprayhood04.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snowden said:

@Blur your custom floorboard / emergency rudder / passarelle (sp?) from that link is genius!

j111-off-14.thumb.jpg.f998f5da60e88544b5909b27482a9039.jpgj111-off-13.thumb.jpg.f4c18fcbd5476be69b94ca861f54b5ce.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Blur said:

j111-off-14.thumb.jpg.f998f5da60e88544b5909b27482a9039.jpgj111-off-13.thumb.jpg.f4c18fcbd5476be69b94ca861f54b5ce.jpg

You have invested heavily in intellect and sweat with Blur, it is not surprising how successful you have been. 

Though I recognize the competitive advantages of some of your work and the risk of sharing that, we would all love seeing the ways you have customized your boat and how you use these things. 

• Like 2
On 2/23/2022 at 5:30 AM, danstanford said:

You have invested heavily in intellect and sweat with Blur, it is not surprising how successful you have been. 

Though I recognize the competitive advantages of some of your work and the risk of sharing that, we would all love seeing the ways you have customized your boat and how you use these things. 

fixed it for you. 

Blur- is that carbon board a stock carbon item somewhere or did you make it?  I’d like to get or make something similar for our 105.  Would love info on the cassette as well.  

5 hours ago, JSoup said:

Blur- is that carbon board a stock carbon item somewhere or did you make it?  I’d like to get or make something similar for our 105.  Would love info on the cassette as well.  

Nope. It's custom We have a complete set where most is made light but the mid part is as strong as possible to be used as emergency rudder (or emergency stretcher).

I think it's 16 mm; 3 mm carbon + foam core. Not hard to do for someone interested in messing with carbon :P

j111-off-12.jpg