Russian Synergy is In?

mo fuzz

Maybe these Ruskys have more on the ball with carbon technology than we give them credit for;

If scaled up to the thickness of plastic refrigerator wrap, a sheet of graphene stretched over a coffee cup could support the weight of a truck bearing down on a pencil point, according to tests conducted by two Columbia University researchers, Jeffrey Kysar and James Hone.

Pretty amazing.

It's nice to see a glass half full perspective on the cup. Even if they may not win first pass, as very few have, you have to respect their attitude and determination.

They will be much stronger for entering.

Maybe these Ruskys have more on the ball with carbon technology than we give them credit for;

If scaled up to the thickness of plastic refrigerator wrap, a sheet of graphene stretched over a coffee cup could support the weight of a truck bearing down on a pencil point, according to tests conducted by two Columbia University researchers, Jeffrey Kysar and James Hone.

Pretty amazing.

What's really amazing is the stuff they make the coffee cup and the pencil point out of. Now THAT'S the shit you really want to get a hold of.

As well as the gyro-stabilizer installed in the truck. Good piece of gear, apparently. Maybe Clean will get one of those to give his camera work the all important characteristic of watchability.

What's really amazing is the stuff they make the coffee cup and the pencil point out of. Now THAT'S the shit you really want to get a hold of.

:lol: Right - that's exactly what's needed for the self-supporting AC72 wing bearing ..

Pretty amazing.

Strong coffee cup :huh:

I believe they are in as the new acrm member MIKAHIL TUZOV appointed by WSTA was proposed by them.

Another poodle team I suppose.

So, by your definition, any team that challenges is a poodle team?

I believe they are in as the new acrm member MIKAHIL TUZOV appointed by WSTA was proposed by them.

I don't think he means that at all..note he says "Another poodle team..." which implies there is already at least one challenger - in this case the Onerous Onorato and his Mascalzoni Latrino AC34 CoR with a COD plan for the challengers. cool.gif

I don't think he means that at all..note he says "Another poodle team..." which implies there is already at least one challenger - in this case the Onerous Onorato and his Mascalzoni Latrino AC34 CoR with a COD plan for the challengers. cool.gif

I'm left with the distinct impression that any team that chooses to challenge is in danger of wearing the poodle mantle. Fer sure, the only gold-plated non-poodle for now is Team Origin!

I'm left with the distinct impression that any team that chooses to challenge is in danger of wearing the poodle mantle. Fer sure, the only gold-plated non-poodle for now is Team Origin!

Naaah..the only full-blooded poodle is Oral Onorato , and the Russians just want to launder some cash...biggrin.gif

Dalton said the official challenger of record, Mascalzone Latino, had not even spoken to any of the challengers who they are supposedly representing.

"I'm not aware of any conversation any team has had with Mascalzone Latino, or even know how to get hold of them," he said. "They're just a puppet."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/americas-cup/news/article.cfm?c_id=531&objectid=10673491

Wus, ask Oro to give a Dalts a call, this does look a bit silly - Larry

I think that the best definition of "another poodle team" is a team that is bribed to participate by the offer of BOR design services. These teams have no chance of winning and would not enter if it weren't for the assistance given by the defender. While EB lending TNZ money to keep them going was one thing, having the defender sharing design information with any challenger has to be against everything the Cup is meant to be about.

At the moment, there seems to me to be only one potential "non poodle" challenger, TNZ. They are making all the right noises and doing all the right things. The only problem is that they haven't yet got the money and won't have until the venues have been announced at which point their sponsors will decide if they are in or out. To assume they are certain to enter is, at the moment, foolish.

I think that the best definition of "another poodle team" is a team that is bribed to participate by the offer of BOR design services. These teams have no chance of winning and would not enter if it weren't for the assistance given by the defender. While EB lending TNZ money to keep them going was one thing, having the defender sharing design information with any challenger has to be against everything the Cup is meant to be about.

At the moment, there seems to me to be only one potential "non poodle" challenger, TNZ. They are making all the right noises and doing all the right things. The only problem is that they haven't yet got the money and won't have until the venues have been announced at which point their sponsors will decide if they are in or out. To assume they are certain to enter is, at the moment, foolish.

Doesn't this, along with having a relatively tight design rule, help level the playing field ?

I'd think the current and potential challengers would think this a move that will make them more competitive.

Didn't EB bribe TNZ with a loan ?

If BMWO did the same would it be considered good or bad ?

I think..

A lot of complete fucking SimonN nonsense, usual.

I forget, what team are you rooting for nowadays?

Since his golden team with the tight three got "stunned" by Mills abrupt decision which no one on the team could anticipate , everything is up in the air.

My guess is that BA will opt for the olympics unless he gets a better offer from a prospective team, but I think the odds of that are long despite his desires. He'll be on the sidelines watching in 2013, wondering what to do in 2016, as Mills will still be "bitter".

Opportunities will come along though.

Since his golden team with the tight three got "stunned" by Mills abrupt decision which no one on the team could anticipate , everything is up in the air.

My guess is that BA will opt for the olympics unless he gets a better offer from a prospective team

Yep - BA will go for an AC offer, IF he gets one, which I hope he does. Poor guy!

My guess is that BA will opt for the olympics unless he gets a better offer from a prospective team

Yep - BA will go for an AC offer, IF he gets one, which I hope he does. Poor guy!

After the way the decision was abruptly handed down, my guess is that he'll evaluate his options with respect to his personal objectives and future goals, of which KM is no longer part of . Probably a good thing.

His patriotism may drive him to the olympics, or his personal desires may drive him to the AC, but he can't entertain both near term. I'm not sure what an additional olympic medal would gain him as their are much steeper hills to climb - his decision will be very telling with regard to his true career ambitions, which will come shortly.

In regards to his AC aspirations, he could have 20 olympic gold medals and it wouldn't put him any further down the learning curve to winning an AC, and in fact may well set him back regardless of his skills and accomplishments. Totally different game, preparation timeline, design issues, team dynamics, etc.

This will be an interesting decision for him personally and will be very telling for his intermediate career direction.

I'd say if he chooses the olympics, which I think he will, count him out for at least two or three AC cycles. If he lands an AC team he works well with, give him maybe two cycles best case to show up as a viable contender.Olympic medals alone have little bearing on near term AC success.

Come on guys. For all your fucking bullshit falgwaving and blind support of BOR, are you really telling me that to have the defender design boats for some of the challengers and sharing information with them is something you think is in the spirit of the AC? It goes against everything that has gone in the past and is a total travisty. It has been an unwritten rule that the defender and challengers shall stay apart. The way the rules have been written would allow for a boat designed by the defender to be used by a challenger in the actual match. And the rules have been bent to get around the CIC situation so that moulds can be built in another country from the one in which the boat is made. I personally think that is in breach of the DOG because mould construction is part of the hull build. I would have loved to see how everybody would have reacted if Alinghi had built its moulds in, say, NZ.

The blind support for BOR without even an attempt to analyse what is going on is, I suspect, something that should have been expected but the current levels it goes to on this forum is unbelievable. So much for all the bullshit that the anti Alinghi wasn't because of blind devotion to BOR and that you would be just as tough on them if they overstepped the mark. Yet not only are there fundemental DOG issues being ignored but most on here are totally prepared to support a team that has been totally hypocritical, not least on the score of promised consultation which hasn't happened but also their previous attitide towards poodle COR's.

After the way the decision was abruptly handed down, my guess is that he'll evaluate his options with respect to his personal objectives and future goals, of which KM is no longer part of . Probably a good thing.

(...)

I may misunderstand your post, but to me it reads as if the Olympics are something inferior to the AC, and poor BA has to be pitied if he is "only" able to compete at the Olympics. Mind you, many people have a different view of the world. Although we and some others are talking about the AC as the "pinnacle of our sport" it is just a part of the sailing world that shares this opinion.

I do not understand your question ; I stated that I belive the synergy challenge is a poodle team and it adds to CoR ML who is accepted even by the bmworians as a poodle challenger (some discussions wheather it is a cane corso are still on...).

So it is ANOTHER poodle team , being the second.

I never stated that any team challanging is a poodle.

Actually I might add that I do not like another poodle team to put his man in the so called independent ACRM.

It is more and more a chinese independency

(...)

I may misunderstand your post, but to me it reads as if the Olympics are something inferior to the AC, and poor BA has to be pitied if he is "only" able to compete at the Olympics. Mind you, many people have a different view of the world. Although we and some others are talking about the AC as the "pinnacle of our sport" it is just a part of the sailing world that shares this opinion.

Didn't mean to imply the olympics are necessarily inferior, but a significantly different competition from what the AC requires.

In racing a Finn, you are helmsman, tactician, trimmer, strategist, etc., where these are specialized roles on an AC team. BA has already proven himself in the olympics multiple times, not sure what more he will gain by competing again except possibly another medal vs his stated aspirations to win the AC.

Many successful AC sailors have their roots in the olympics.

More power to him whichever direction he goes. I think it would be interesting to see him join an AC campaign for a change.

I think it would be interesting to see him join an AC campaign for a change.

I don't quite get this. For AC32 he was with ETNZ, first as tactician and then as helm of the second boat when, by all accounts, he schooled DB as much as the other way around. You obviously don't remember that during the LV, there were calls for BA to replace DB. Previously, in AC31, he spent a year up the mast of OneWorld before he decided he didn't like heights ;)

I do not understand your question ; I stated that I belive the synergy challenge is a poodle team and it adds to CoR ML who is accepted even by the bmworians as a poodle challenger (some discussions wheather it is a cane corso are still on...).

So it is ANOTHER poodle team , being the second.

I never stated that any team challanging is a poodle.

Actually I might add that I do not like another poodle team to put his man in the so called independent ACRM.

It is more and more a chinese independency

Roca, my comment wasn't directed personally at you. Rather it was my observation that around here teams seem to be labelled as poodles on the flimiest of information.

From what I've seen of Synergy so far, we can expect a big streak of independence. Besides, they were nominated by WSTA and not the challenger or defender. And they still have to be ratified in a few months by the full challenger body.

From what I've seen of Synergy so far, we can expect a big streak of independence. Besides, they were nominated by WSTA and not the challenger or defender. And they still have to be ratified in a few months by the full challenger body.

A big pile of rubles too. They are joining the RC44 circuit starting next week (not sure who's boat but it's P-22 and launched in 2010), and also ordered a new TP52 for next year. Watch out for that program!

(...)

Didn't mean to imply the olympics are necessarily inferior, but a significantly different competition from what the AC requires.

In racing a Finn, you are helmsman, tactician, trimmer, strategist, etc., where these are specialized roles on an AC team. BA has already proven himself in the olympics multiple times, not sure what more he will gain by competing again except possibly another medal vs his stated aspirations to win the AC.

Many successful AC sailors have their roots in the olympics.

More power to him whichever direction he goes. I think it would be interesting to see him join an AC campaign for a change.

DC was a bronze medalist in the '76 Olympics in the Tempest class. Melges won multiple medals, and was the first gold medalist to also win the AC. Russell did the Olympics in the Finn I think. I cannot think of others, at least as helmsmen, though tactician Torben Grael comes to mind, that sailed the AC.

The 'Home Field' advantage of being a defending champion and the chance to win it in front of the home crowd is a big personal draw for BA and IP WRT the London 2012 games.

Now, if you want to look at a 'national' event to hope to win, the AC would be prestigous for something outside of a 'personal' gain.

SKM made the decision easy for BA, pulling-out of the AC, but we may never know if BA and IP pushed for Olympic participation over the AC or not with SKM. He may have felt that their hearts were not in it, the multi-hulls did not favor what he planned for, and his core guys wanted to do the Olympics over an AC campaign.

Only time will tell if they made the right decision.

I think it would be interesting to see him join an AC campaign for a change.

I don't quite get this. For AC32 he was with ETNZ, first as tactician and then as helm of the second boat when, by all accounts, he schooled DB as much as the other way around. You obviously don't remember that during the LV, there were calls for BA to replace DB. Previously, in AC31, he spent a year up the mast of OneWorld before he decided he didn't like heights ;)

I meant as the primary helmsman - the position he held with TO.

Fair comment. After all, he has followed a carefully planned game plan to get to that position, even if cats do slightly change the game.

Fair comment. After all, he has followed a carefully planned game plan to get to that position, even if cats do slightly change the game.

If he jumps on an AC challenge and goes down the multi-hull curve as others are, it would make things interesting as the challenger series develops.

The ability of teams to adapt to multi's will be an interesting aspect of the event - good to see TNZ jumping in with both feet.

http://valenciasailing.blogspot.com/2010/10/synergy-announces-new-boat-for-2011.html

Russia’s Synergy Sailing Team will build a new TP52 for the 2011 Audi MedCup Circuit as they seek to continue their ascent of the overall standings on the world’s leading regatta Circuit, improve the top level of Russian grand prix sailing and introduce more young Russian talent to the upper echelons of world sailing.

Theirs is the third new build TP52 to be announced for next season and will be built from the same mould as the new Botin Carkeek designed Quantum Racing (USA), to be launched ready to have their first racing at Palma Vela in April next year. The boat will be backed by the same group of five enthusiastic owners and co-sponsors with the team also looking for new co-sponsors to come on board.

What does this mean for an AC run?

http://valenciasailing.blogspot.com/2010/10/synergy-announces-new-boat-for-2011.html

Russia’s Synergy Sailing Team will build a new TP52 for the 2011 Audi MedCup Circuit as they seek to continue their ascent of the overall standings on the world’s leading regatta Circuit, improve the top level of Russian grand prix sailing and introduce more young Russian talent to the upper echelons of world sailing.

Theirs is the third new build TP52 to be announced for next season and will be built from the same mould as the new Botin Carkeek designed Quantum Racing (USA), to be launched ready to have their first racing at Palma Vela in April next year. The boat will be backed by the same group of five enthusiastic owners and co-sponsors with the team also looking for new co-sponsors to come on board.

What does this mean for an AC run?

Sorry, forgot about this thread and posted on another. I think it means that there are less and less teams wanting to play in Russell's sand box. We are left with maybe 1 viable entry and a couple of no hope wannabees.

And the rules have been bent to get around the CIC situation so that moulds can be built in another country from the one in which the boat is made. I personally think that is in breach of the DOG because mould construction is part of the hull build. I would have loved to see how everybody would have reacted if Alinghi had built its moulds in, say, NZ.

It's fascinating how you invariably put the very worst spin on every aspect. Do you think carbon prepreg needs to be manufactured in the challenging country? Plywood, glue, respirator masks?

so has SAYC filed to compete for the defender series ??

between my pix Stingray, MoFuzz & WhiteLightning's intell

I think we can overcome BMW-O's advantage

Ummmm un-less they have something new up their sleeve

I'm sure when SA wins the DM counter suit, Scot can bankroll a campaign without member contributions

LETS ROLL ohmy.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

We'll I do have access to a 'new' boat under build, but it turns out it wont be competitive. Like TO, I was expecting all this to go monos. lol

And the rules have been bent to get around the CIC situation so that moulds can be built in another country from the one in which the boat is made. I personally think that is in breach of the DOG because mould construction is part of the hull build. I would have loved to see how everybody would have reacted if Alinghi had built its moulds in, say, NZ.

It's fascinating how you invariably put the very worst spin on every aspect. Do you think carbon prepreg needs to be manufactured in the challenging country? Plywood, glue, respirator masks?

Jeez, not this argument again!!

What is it about MC vs DOG match that people just don't seem to get?

And SimonN, Alinghi did have their sail 'moulds' built in the US but argued they should be allowed and were used in AC33. I seem to recall many BOR-phobics arguing is was OK and that was a DOG match!

Simon sure keeps it interesting around here (there?) wherever this is....

The Russell hatas gotta get over it, he's the biggest AC Rock Star there's ever been and has earned it.

On BA, I hope he finds another British team to get on board.

And you gotta think that EB is licking his chops, come on you know you want him back.

Archived