OK I'm stumped....

Dan33

We just got back from delivering a friends boat to a marina where she winters....and further down the pier pier see another mast, an oddity in that harbor, so I investigated.

I found this odd little boat. I have never see it on the lake, and have no idea what it is....it almost looks like some type of powerboat conversion.

Any ideas??

post-25646-056111500 1286820697_thumb.jpg

post-25646-050335700 1286820708_thumb.jpg

Fairey Atalanta, designed by Uffa Fox, hot moulded by Fairy Marine - to use the technology developed for the Mosquito "wooden wonder" bomber. Owners association: http://www.atalantaowners.org.uk/

The inspiration:

Mosquito_600pix.jpg

Ding Ding Ding! Winner!

archives20.jpg

also an interesting side note:

archives17.jpg

'From Russia With Love' - Sean Connery (007) and Co-Star Daniela Bianchi on board the huntress, along with Ian Anderson (wearing the tie), now a well known yacht designer.

Photo Courtesy of Peter Twiss

I saw one for "free" a couple of years ago. Knowing what "free" really means when it comes to boats, I made the always prudent choice to let it go. But ever since then I've been intrigued by these funky little boats. This one looks particularly nice. I'd love to see more pictures!

If you look close there seems to be some type of furling(??) on the under side of the boom.

Who would have suspected a unique boat up here on our humble little lake. I may have to look into this a bit more.

Cool boat!

My first thought was 50's Sci-fi.

If Buck Rogers owned a sailboat this would be it...........

Re: Furling system-- I think the boom rotates and the sail wraps around it. Hardware attached to the long bronze rod below and parallel to the boom..... or not?

WOW cool find Gate, I've never seen anything like it!

My first thoughts on the design is that it looks like a cool climate boat, More emphasis seems to be sheltered cockpit (in the days before dodgers) and interior space than deck space. and the 60's look that somehow they have managed to make a lovely looking boat out of.

WAY COOL BOAT!

No doubt that's the same boat...does the coach on my example seem noticeably smaller than the photos here and on the website??

I really like it. I'd love to know how it sails, ie- how fast, how well does it point, does it sail comfortably, etc. I see that the shrouds are way out there, so maybe it doesn't point well, but who knows?

Could someone explain "hot molding"

Film about hot moulding Fireflys at Fairey: http://www.britishpa...cord.php?id=171

Basically, the hull was vacuum bagged and autoclaved after the veneers have been stapled to the mould. IIRC, the glue required heat to set, and the vacuum also ensured good contact between layers.

- Twin drop keels each weigh 475lbs, winched by hand.

For a little-ish boat she has a lot of interesting features...

- Twin drop keels each weigh 475lbs, winched by hand.

For a little-ish boat she has a lot of interesting features...

""A few more images of Blue J as she gets her belly scrubbed and painted. This was the cheap alternative to hoisting out and antifouling. You simply beach the boat lift one keel lower the other and she rolls over! When you are ready you reverse the process and over she goes again. It is even possible on hard ground to get to the keelson but not quite the keel band. Once you have done what keel you can see as she leans over,you can get to the rest by lifting of the keel box tops in the galley. Not as easy as a complete lift out but if, like me, you have had a full winter season and don't want to miss the spring then it's not bad!"

http://www.atalantaowners.org.uk/index.php/the-boats/atalanta-26/33-a71-blue-jackaroo

My boat does not do this.

That is a beautiful boat. It is so nice to see something really unique that isn't hideously monstrous. I'm really curious to hear more about it, how it sails, more about the lifting keels, etc. We gotta get an owner on SA!

- Czo

Could someone explain "hot molding"

Film about hot moulding Fireflys at Fairey: http://www.britishpa...cord.php?id=171

Basically, the hull was vacuum bagged and autoclaved after the veneers have been stapled to the mould. IIRC, the glue required heat to set, and the vacuum also ensured good contact between layers.

Fucking faskinating Ed, just like the old newsreels at the movies!!

2nd vid - interesting winch.
i noticed that too!

Barton Marine bottom action winch - they don't make them anymore. Bottom action winches are available from Andersen

Classic_small.jpg

and Murrays

MW1c.jpg

Advantage of the Andersen is that you can't lose the handle (I think the handle comes out of the Murrays). Downside is that it's slower to use - you have to ratchet back and forth, you can't winch in full circles.

The upside of a bottom handle winch like the Murray is that you don't have to get over the winch to crank - this is nice if the boat is heavily heeled, and getting over a low winch can feel like you are going overboard. I found it much easier to apply power to the bottom handle winch.

Here is one of the Murray Winches in use on my old Hinckley - it's easy to see how comfortable it was to use the winch from in the cockpit, vs getting over the top of the winch to grind. Please disregard the slack genoa halyard...

raildown_2005.jpg

you guys remind me of railfans, not saying it's a bad thing just

I know what you're saying...it's terrible to have a forum that's civil, and there's an opportunity to learn and share knowledge...it's not a bad thing, no "but".

I noticed the way he cleated it, Comes up of the drum down the centre and than around the cleat, Thats not how I do it, I come up from the drum, around the cleat, down the centre and then the other way around the other cleat, sort of a 1/2 figure eight, If I do it like slowboat shows it tends to slip.

Archived