West Michigan Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bump!    Boats are flying out of the water this week with dreams of a better year next year.   Muskegon YC finished racing on Oct 14.  For the summer, we started racing on May 20, (two weeks later tha

I want to clarify some things about the Docking situation: CYC Mac Committee has been working hard on this issued and we were able t arrange docking at Mac Harbor, Straits or St Ignace and pay fo

Posted Images

I officially no longer give a f-ck about the uber-glitchy VOR race game.

Thought y'all should know.

Good to know!

I officially no longer give a f-ck about the uber-glitchy VOR race game.

Thought y'all should know.

Copy that. So much for vicariously living through an over simplified computer animation....

So I wonder how many pros STD will have on board this week, I heard Lowell North might be available, but then Jimmy might have to do gross trim.

Where the hell are they going to find any good pros in Musketucky? They'll probably end up sailing with a bunch of local delta bravos like usual.

And for all of you M24 "rating" whiners out there, check out the Wednesday results from the last 2 weeks that have the 24's thrown in. Looks like some pretty good "overall" standings from all 4 divisions. Looks like some good competition to me.

GTFP!

So I wonder how many pros STD will have on board this week, I heard Lowell North might be available, but then Jimmy might have to do gross trim.

Where the hell are they going to find any good pros in Musketucky? They'll probably end up sailing with a bunch of local delta bravos like usual.

And for all of you M24 "rating" whiners out there, check out the Wednesday results from the last 2 weeks that have the 24's thrown in. Looks like some pretty good "overall" standings from all 4 divisions. Looks like some good competition to me.

GTFP!

Peerless is out for this Wednesday night, does anyone have room? I bring beer.

You have to work on the boat.....Delta Bravo.

GTFP!

Peerless is out for this Wednesday night, does anyone have room? I bring beer.

If Lowell were available we would certainly welcome him. We usually have lots of beer and rum.

Hrothgar

Few months back there was some chatter about a backwards (start on your handicap)race from Muskegon to Milwaukee on the Thursday prior to the Queen's Cup. Windancer is officially in and willing to sponsor the race.

Anyone else in for this race?

That's a great idea!

Few months back there was some chatter about a backwards (start on your handicap)race from Muskegon to Milwaukee on the Thursday prior to the Queen's Cup. Windancer is officially in and willing to sponsor the race.

That's a great idea!

Missed the chatter. What was the plan?

Day race?

Thursday evening?

That's a great idea!

Missed the chatter. What was the plan?

Day race?

Thursday evening?

What was being goofed around with was a pursuit start, with (say) a 132 rater starting at 6:00AM Thursday morning.

That would put a 90 rater stating at 6:45ish, a 69 rater at 7:11ish, a 24 rater at 8:02, and Dancer at 9:48. If you had a boat slower than 132 you'd be welcome, but your start would be before 6AM.

Haz

ATTENTION WEST COAST S2 7.9 SAILORS! Those of us in Holland have heard rumors that there are 4-5 boats spread up the coast line who race PHRF locally. All are cordially invited to MBYC for the Wooden Shoe Invitational June 2-3. Details at www.MBYC.com or www.s279fleet1.com. Two days of racing. There's a great fleet gathering. One Design racing sharpens your skills. Please consider joining us!

My nominee for the luckiest boat on Musquito has got to be:

Ticklish!

Apparently I had too much time on my hands over the weekend, so I ended up scanning the 2012 ORR ratings, looking at the Stability Index numbers.

http://offshore.ussailing.org/ORR/ORR_Scratch_Sheets/ORR_Windward_Leeward_50_50.htm

Just curious to find out if any boats I knew were sitting on the bubble.

Chicago Mac 2012 NOR demands that monohulls: " iv. Boats shall have an ORR Stability Index of not less than 103."

Found a couple Santana 35 with a 2012 SI of exactly 103. Don't get any luckier than that. One misplaced 12 pack of Bud Light and its over.

Then I hit Ticklish with 103.4

That's too dang close for comfort.

1338403889[/url]' post='3732462']

Ticklish!

Apparently I had too much time on my hands over the weekend, so I ended up scanning the 2012 ORR ratings, looking at the Stability Index numbers.

http://offshore.ussa...eward_50_50.htm

Chicago Mac 2012 NOR demands that monohulls: " iv. Boats shall have an ORR Stability Index of not less than 103."

Found a couple Santana 35 with a 2012 SI of exactly 103. Don't get any luckier than that. One misplaced 12 pack of Bud Light and its over.

A few rum bottles in the bilge will bring the SI up.

Ticklish!

http://offshore.ussailing.org/ORR/ORR_Scratch_Sheets/ORR_Windward_Leeward_50_50.htm

Definition of TICKLISH

b: easily overturned <a canoe is a ticklish craft>

Now you know.......

I won't be handling any lines for seven to ten days. Those Zyliss paring knives are so sharp, all you feel is a slight tug as you catch things wrong...

No lasering for me next week... :(

First of , I fear many, similar incidents coming with every MAC sailor carrying a sharp knife. Suture kit may need to be added to first aid kit. Fortunately NOODs is 7-10 days away!

Its Wednesday! Lets go racing!

Hrothgar

Wonder what pro's STD's going to call in tonight.....

No pros last night...just our regular crew of misfits...

Hroth

Nice Job to you and crew last night!

I won't be handling any lines for seven to ten days. Those Zyliss paring knives are so sharp, all you feel is a slight tug as you catch things wrong...

No lasering for me next week... :(

Couldn't just wrap that in electrical tape...?

pussy...

So how about some reports on the SH invite this past weekend, I believe Spirit Walker did very well? How about the other folks that made the trek down. Kudos to Desperado for a top three finish at the inaugural BOD regatta.

So how about some reports on the SH invite this past weekend, I believe Spirit Walker did very well? How about the other folks that made the trek down. Kudos to Desperado for a top three finish at the inaugural BOD regatta.

Well, D1 went Spirit Walker, Majic, Willie J.

D2 went Ticklish (in a tie breaker), Standard Deviation, Shorthanded

Overall I believe was SW, Majic, Willie J.

Great racing both days. Saturday was honking and Sunday was lighter. Really testing the crews in a variety of conditions.

Hrothgar

Great racing both days. Saturday was honking and Sunday was lighter. Really testing the crews in a variety of conditions.

Hrothgar

Small turnout for a couple great days on the water. Only about 15 boats - 5 in section 1, 4 in section 2 and roughly half a dozen in Jib and Main. That was disappointing.

Race committee was AWESOME. No endless waiting for the next race. There was barely time to chug a beer between races, absolutely no time for a sandwich either day. They were really on the ball.

Great weekend on the water. I'm still smiling B)

Hrothgar

Hroth,

Thanks for the report, sorry about losing the tie breaker but that is a pretty good job by MYC boats, if I am reading it correctly 1-2 in both D1, D2 and fleet-congrats to you all.

Hrothgar

Hroth,

Thanks for the report, sorry about losing the tie breaker but that is a pretty good job by MYC boats, if I am reading it correctly 1-2 in both D1, D2 and fleet-congrats to you all.

Nice Job to all the MYC boats and crews!:D

Nice work by the west michigan boats that made the trek to the windy for NOODS. Looks like good scores posted not only by MYC boats (congrats Aftershock, Bad Dog, Magic, Spirit Walker) but also MBYC (Heritage, Sufficient and True)

Nice work by the west michigan boats that made the trek to the windy for NOODS. Looks like good scores posted not only by MYC boats (congrats Aftershock, Bad Dog, Magic, Spirit Walker) but also MBYC (Heritage, Sufficient and True)

Yep and we had a DSQ and still finished 2nd! Minor port starboard mainsheet didn't get eased in time issue.:( Sorry Touch of Grey!

Oh and Unbelievable performance by Aftershock!! Just fast! They didn't even need to sail the last race but went around teh bouys anyway to watch the rest of us battle it out. Congrats to Bill and his crew!

Anyone else taking the train to Chicago from GR on the Friday morning before the Mac? Just purchased my ticket becase it keeps going up. It sold out last year so if you are planning on it, buy them sooner than later...

AAA membership gets you a $5 discount!:D I will be on the train, hopefully they don't run out of rum this year!

Any results/reports from the Double handed race that left on Thurs am?

12-15 kts SSE for the first 55 nm. The wind shut off for the last 10 nm. We ended up finishing in 3 kts NW.

Div 1:

1. Tick

2. Lady K

Any results/reports from the Double handed race that left on Thurs am?

12-15 kts SSE for the first 55 nm. The wind shut off for the last 10 nm. We ended up finishing in 3 kts NW.

Div 1:

1. Tick

2. Lady K

Thanks!

Anyone racing in the MACATAWA BAY YACHT CLUB COMMODORES CUP this weekend?

Two options this week end, MYC Pursuit race Friday night or MBCC.

Leaning toward Pursuit because of how much boat time will be required next week for Tripp & Queens.

Does anybody need extra crew for the Queens Cup this year? My boat owner is not sailing the QC this year, and I would like to sail it. I am planning on taking the Lake Express from Muskegon Thursday if I can find a boat to race on. I have experience with T10, J24, J35, and Hobie33. I have experience with most positions except driving. I have been working the bow my last 2 seasons. I also have my “safety at sea” certificate.

If anybody needs crew, I am willing to sail. PM me. will need a place to crash Thursday night (any flat spot on the boat will work).

We had some breeze off Holland last night - and we STILL got to race in the big lake!

Five 30 footers are racing MBYC CommCup this weekend: Temptation Tenacity Ricochet Desperado Spectra

anyone break anything interesting last night?

My son and I both have some pretty big bruises. We buried the bow of our boat several times. We ripped the entire leach cord right out of our #3. And the cups on our mast top wind instruments are no longer there...

Other than all that, it was a really great day to be sailing in Musketucky!!!

Nope. But we did rinse a winch handle and the GoPro mysteriously disappeared from the stern pulpit--probably got wrapped in a runner. Ken did get a nasty rope burn when the mainsheet wrapped his ankle before the start but other than that, no real carnage.

Hroth

Nope. But we did rinse a winch handle and the GoPro mysteriously disappeared from the stern pulpit--probably got wrapped in a runner. Ken did get a nasty rope burn when the mainsheet wrapped his ankle before the start but other than that, no real carnage.

Hroth

I thought you told me you were going to wrap it around his neck.....

How was the Laser regatta at MYC this weekend?

The D19 championship was a solid regatta, with five GREAT races Saturday ... Sunday races abandoned for lack of blow.

Separate starts for radial and standard rigs, with nine radials and 16 standards. Had a fair number of travelers, with folks from the Chesapeake, Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc.

EJ O'Mara won the standard class handily, with straight bullets. Grace Pytell won the radial section.

R/C was smooth and the club did a great job of playing host. Thanks to all involved.

Haz

How did the pusuit race go at MYC today? Boats were out when I got there and still out when I left!?

Great day for a sail, with 8-10 knots of breeze, a north to south current running, windward mark 5 miles out at 285 degrees.

There was a confused choppy swell that seemed to come from every direction at times ... kept you on your toes.

Eight boats competed, which was a bit low and surprising, but we had a ball.

Standard Deviation proved unbeatable today, winning their own race. We took second in the Melges. Ticklish was third, with Lady K right on their heels. Sea Hero finished fifth, Bulldog sixth, and the other Melges was seventh. Chicken Soup was out but struggled a bit in the light and lumpy and didn't finish.

Thanks to Hanssen Consulting for sponsoring a fun race!

Haz

How did the pusuit race go at MYC today? Boats were out when I got there and still out when I left!?

Great day for a sail, with 8-10 knots of breeze, a north to south current running, windward mark 5 miles out at 285 degrees.

There was a confused choppy swell that seemed to come from every direction at times ... kept you on your toes.

Standard Deviation proved unbeatable today, winning their own race. We took second in the Melges. Ticklish was third, with Lady K right on their heels. Sea Hero finished fifth, Bulldog sixth, and the other Melges was seventh. Chicken Soup was out but struggled a bit in the light and lumpy and didn't finish.

Haz

Glad you had a good time and congrats to STD and crew. They have been fast all year!

Too bad you didn't have more boats. It being the weekend before the MAC probably did not help. Prep for the MAC and being away next two weekends (Harbor Springs too) made it hard (at least for me) to get the crew to come out.

Haz

Congrats to STD, looks like another good result. Am thinking/guessing that there may have been a prize of adult beverage(s) that was put to good use? Saw tick on Muskegon lake after work flying the big masthead a-kite with sprit, looked good. Nice to see Hero back in the water too, you want to see hard working crew ask Mark and a few of the others helping him how they have spent their past few weeks/months.

Thanks to Peter and Bob for organizing the race with the start times and of course the phenomenal on-course work. It was truly a great day though too bad more didn't come out.

Adult beverage prizes were awarded:

3 bottles for first

2 bottles for second

1 bottle for third

Should provide reasonable post-Mac Race provisions!

Hrothgar

Thanks to Peter and Bob for organizing the race with the start times and of course the phenomenal on-course work. It was truly a great day though too bad more didn't come out.

3 bottles for first

2 bottles for second

1 bottle for third

Hrothgar

Post Mac?! :lol: 3 bottles wouldn't last for the delivery on BD. I am trying to figure out how many GALLONS of rum (note: not half gallons) I need to stock for the race.

3 bottles for first

2 bottles for second

1 bottle for third

Hrothgar

Post Mac?! :lol: 3 bottles wouldn't last for the delivery on BD. I am trying to figure out how many GALLONS of rum (note: not half gallons) I need to stock for the race.

Makes for a tempting delivery! Taking the family up to spectate from Cross Village, and then to the island to watch the finishes. Closest I've been to racing in a few years!

3 bottles for first

2 bottles for second

1 bottle for third

Hrothgar

We break out the margarita bucket and two handles of tequila between the finish and inspection!

Multiple handles after.

Prices in IL much cheaper than MI.

Stock up at the Walgreens on Wabash - four blocks up from CYC Monroe station.

We are worth every dram (and sometimes, we even bring our own!)

We are worth every dram (and sometimes, we even bring our own!)

Absolutely! and of course there is always room for more