West Michigan Thread

Who's in for the Clipper Cup this Friday?

Hroth

Ticklish is in.

Glanced at weather forcast 15-25 North East backing during the day, yikes!

Looking for crew, who wants a quick ride across the pond? Have you back for breakfast Sunday.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not yet, she's a jigsaw puzzle in Italy at the moment but heading across the atlantic mid-March and going straight to the WORLDWIDE hot-bed of grand prix TP 52 race yachts.... yep, Torressen Marine in

Sailing 12/23/18. Scottie took out tons of people.  One may have rinsed off in the lake... stole this pic from FB because it was better than mine.

Posted Images

Just letting you all know that one of our own, Alex Stscherban, who races on a number of different West Michigan boats, and is a familiar figure around the Lake Michigan race circuit needs your good thoughts and well wishes. He crossed the finish line at a small triathlon this past weekend and collapsed on the spot. The medics were able to get his heart pumping again, but they kept him in a coma in order to get his core body temp down. He has been in ICU and is recovering slowly and steadily, but is not out in the clear yet. Good news is the MRI indicated no damage whatsoever. This will just take some time for a complete recovery. Please keep Alex in your thoughts. You can check out updates on his FB page if you are so inclined. Thanks!

From NOAA:

.FRIDAY...NORTHEAST WINDS TO 30 KT. CHANCE OF WATERSPOUTS IN THE

MORNING. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS IN

THE MORNING...THEN CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. WAVES 8 TO

12 FT.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...NORTH WINDS TO 30 KT DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 20 KT.

CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES SUBSIDING TO 6 TO 10 FT.

Should be a 'fun' Clipper Cup.

Hroth

From NOAA:

12 FT.

Hroth

Ummm.... NO! In fact, HELL NO! As much as I would love to see Chico in Port Washington it will have to wait until next year ( I wasn't planning on it anyway but this solidifies my decision!)

For those that go.Good Luck and BE SAFE! It should be epic! Peerless should make it in about an hour and a half if BT can keep it upright!

From NOAA:

12 FT.

Hroth

Ummm.... NO! In fact, HELL NO! As much as I would love to see Chico in Port Washington it will have to wait until next year ( I wasn't planning on it anyway but this solidifies my decision!)

For those that go.Good Luck and BE SAFE! It should be epic! Peerless should make it in about an hour and a half if BT can keep it upright!

Chico is going to get some early afternoon lovin!

I hope the waterspouts don't dilute my R&C.

From NOAA:

12 FT.

Hroth

Windancer is out as we are in Chicago for the Verve... But looking at the forecast and the Clipper is almost too good to be true for the GL 70. Would have been a ten ticket ride, though I am not too nuts about finishing between their pier heads in those large waves.

Good luck to those that race.

From NOAA:

12 FT.

Hroth

Windancer is out as we are in Chicago for the Verve... But looking at the forecast and the Clipper is almost too good to be true for the GL 70. Would have been a ten ticket ride, though I am not too nuts about finishing between their pier heads in those large waves.

A great offshore multihull kind of day! Be safe all while sending it cool.gif!

A great upside down multihull day!

From NOAA:

12 FT.

Hroth

A great offshore multihull kind of day! Be safe all while sending it cool.gif!

Latest from NOAA:

.FRIDAY...NORTH GALES TO 35 KT. SLIGHT CHANCE OF WATERSPOUTS IN

THE MORNING. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS

IN THE MORNING...THEN CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. WAVES

BUILDING TO 10 TO 14 FT.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...NORTH GALES TO 35 KT DIMINISHING TO 15 TO 25 KT

OVERNIGHT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES SUBSIDING TO 8 TO 12 FT LATE.

Hmmmm.....might be re-thinking this one

Hroth

In all seriousness gang, If you decide to go, good luck and BE CAREFUL! We have had a great summer of sailing but it appears Mother Nature is issuing a bit of payback for the easiest MAC races in decades. Make good choices, check your equipment, and remember the Lake has no conscious and won't think twice about messin you up bad if you screw up. So DON"T screw up!:lol:

Best of Luck to all!

In all seriousness gang, If you decide to go, good luck and BE CAREFUL! We have had a great summer of sailing but it appears Mother Nature is issuing a bit of payback for the easiest MAC races in decades. Make good choices, check your equipment, and remember the Lake has no conscious and won't think twice about messin you up bad if you screw up. So DON"T screw up!:lol:

Best of Luck to all!

Jack lines will be used tomorrow.

Not sure what I'm more excited for, the race or the return Sat.

Perdicted NW 20-35, .75 has not ben out of the bag for awhile.

Post some video or pics of Tick ripping across!

Best of Luck to all!

Jack lines will be used tomorrow.

Not sure what I'm more excited for, the race or the return Sat.

Perdicted NW 20-35, .75 has not ben out of the bag for awhile.

booze distributors celebrate. it appears every yacht club on the lake is packed with frustrated sailors with an idle day on their hands. Take cover!

Gotta love it! At lease most folks are safe on land during this and being prudent...for the most part.

So who all were the brave souls that raced the clipper cup? Haven't seen any results posted anywhere but saw that Bull Dog was 2nd in division and overall on a FB post.

Congrats to those that made it! How was it?

So who all were the brave souls that raced the clipper cup? Haven't seen any results posted anywhere but saw that Bull Dog was 2nd in division and overall on a FB post.

The 'real' race was scrubbed on Friday morning. A replacement race was run on Sunday from Muskegon to Whitehall and back. Have not seen any results other than Bull Dog's post on FB. Not sure who all went. We did not.

Hroth

Latest from NOAA:

BUILDING TO 10 TO 14 FT.

Hroth

On Friday, I had a bunch of kids in Muskegon that took great pride in the fact that while the Clipper Cup was busy re-scheduling and the Chicago Verve was busy cancelling Friday's races - they were still having a total blast racing their Optis on Friday at the WMYA Westerns Regatta. I can't count the number of times I heard these wet, wind-blown, smiling kids yelling "Yee haa! This is AWESOME!"

The 'real' race was scrubbed on Friday morning. A replacement race was run on Sunday from Muskegon to Whitehall and back. Have not seen any results other than Bull Dog's post on FB. Not sure who all went. We did not.

Hroth

Smart move.

Latest from NOAA:

BUILDING TO 10 TO 14 FT.

Hroth

On Friday, I had a bunch of kids in Muskegon that took great pride in the fact that while the Clipper Cup was busy re-scheduling and the Chicago Verve was busy cancelling Friday's races - they were still having a total blast racing their Optis on Friday at the WMYA Westerns Regatta. I can't count the number of times I heard these wet, wind-blown, smiling kids yelling "Yee haa! This is AWESOME!"

Great for the "kids" ! One of the HUGE advantages of MYC is that they have the option of running outstanding courses on Muskegon Lake when the "Big" lake is just too ugly. This happened in 2009 for the J/35 North Americans as well. Sailed two of three days inside instead of cancelling or getting beat to crap out on LM. Great Job by all the staff and volunteers on what appears to have been by all accounts, a very succesful regatta!

Hroth

OK, that makes more sense. Thanks

Latest from NOAA:

BUILDING TO 10 TO 14 FT.

Hroth

Great for the "kids" ! One of the HUGE advantages of MYC is that they have the option of running outstanding courses on Muskegon Lake when the "Big" lake is just too ugly. This happened in 2009 for the J/35 North Americans as well. Sailed two of three days inside instead of cancelling or getting beat to crap out on LM. Great Job by all the staff and volunteers on what appears to have been by all accounts, a very succesful regatta!

Agreed - but don't assume it wasn't blowing stink on Lake Musketucky. It was honking! By the time the regatta ended, the Melges 17s, Butterflies and others had all cancelled races due to wind. Gotta love the Opti kids gutting it out and having a ball doing it! It was one of those rare times when the wind kept the anchor from my 30 footer from holding my 18ft center console in place. I had to re-set my anchor 3 times to establish the start line on Saturday.

Latest from NOAA:

BUILDING TO 10 TO 14 FT.

Hroth

Agreed - but don't assume it wasn't blowing stink on Lake Musketucky. It was honking! By the time the regatta ended, the Melges 17s, Butterflies and others had all cancelled races due to wind. Gotta love the Opti kids gutting it out and having a ball doing it! It was one of those rare times when the wind kept the anchor from my 30 footer from holding my 18ft center console in place. I had to re-set my anchor 3 times to establish the start line on Saturday.

I am sure it was! This is a picture of a three time J/35 national champion wiped out in front of Torresen's in 2009 (Bob Harvey photo)

post-15596-002426200 1344877822_thumb.jpg

Hroth

Nice summary of Friday's S. Lake Mi conditions from a Verve crew mate. Saturday was bad enough in 8+ footers, and wind speeds regularly hitting 20+.

From NOAA: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=lot&storyid=86308&source=0

"So this one record breaking gale on the lake produced nearly as many hourly observations with 10+ ft waves at the south buoy as had been recorded in the past 30 years combined for August!

It’s worth noting that wave heights at the buoy are often lower than observations from ships. In fact, the ship M/V Burns Harbor reported waves of 18 ft nearby the south buoy..."

Hroth

Nice summary of Friday's S. Lake Mi conditions from a Verve crew mate. Saturday was bad enough in 8+ footers, and wind speeds regularly hitting 20+.

From NOAA: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=lot&storyid=86308&source=0

"So this one record breaking gale on the lake produced nearly as many hourly observations with 10+ ft waves at the south buoy as had been recorded in the past 30 years combined for August!

It’s worth noting that wave heights at the buoy are often lower than observations from ships. In fact, the ship M/V Burns Harbor reported waves of 18 ft nearby the south buoy..."

Can you imagine what the entrance to Michigan City, IN harbor must have looked like.

Hroth

Can you imagine what the entrance to Michigan City, IN harbor must have looked like.

Word around Musketucky on Friday was that the Lake Express Ferry reported that morning that they were experiencing mid-lake winds of 30-40 and an occasional 20ft wave.

Just letting you all know that one of our own, Alex Stscherban, who races on a number of different West Michigan boats, and is a familiar figure around the Lake Michigan race circuit needs your good thoughts and well wishes. He crossed the finish line at a small triathlon this past weekend and collapsed on the spot. The medics were able to get his heart pumping again, but they kept him in a coma in order to get his core body temp down. He has been in ICU and is recovering slowly and steadily, but is not out in the clear yet. Good news is the MRI indicated no damage whatsoever. This will just take some time for a complete recovery. Please keep Alex in your thoughts. You can check out updates on his FB page if you are so inclined. Thanks!

Alex is still in ICU. It's tough to believe that someone that young and in excellent shape is in a coma for 10 days. It's way beyond me to know medically what or why he is in the shape he's in, no matter, it sucks. Let's all hope for a speedy and complete recovery so we can all enjoy racing together soon.

Alex is still in ICU. It's tough to believe that someone that young and in excellent shape is in a coma for 10 days. It's way beyond me to know medically what or why he is in the shape he's in, no matter, it sucks. Let's all hope for a speedy and complete recovery so we can all enjoy racing together soon.

Latest on Alex from Facebook:

Alex Update...It's Monday morning and Alex has now been in a coma 10 days. He has continued to improve and take baby steps to getting better. However, yesterday we did have a couple minor setbacks......he now has a staph infection in his lungs and sinuses and developed a small bloodclot in his lower arm where his pic line is. They changed the pic line to the other arm and started him on heprin to thin his blood. They have also added another IV antibiotic to fight the staph infections. So far his lung xrays continue to improve and were hoping the staph infection is only minor. He's scheduled for the trach sometime this morning. He was suppose to have the procedure done yesterday but got bumped from the OR due to an emergency with another patient. I'm really looking forward to seeing him without all the tubes going down his throat..... he should be alot more comfortable. The game plan for later today is to gradually reduce sedation and hopefully he'll wake up and come back to us. within a couple of days . We really appreciate all of your prayers, love and exceptional support in this most difficult time., We all need to remain strong....have faith...and believe in Alex's ability to be a fighter. He may have been beaten at things in life in the past, as we all have, at one time or another. But he has never been defeated and I believe with all my heart this will not defeat him. He will fight on to the finish line.

Hroth

Latest on Alex from Facebook:

Alex Update...It's Monday morning and Alex has now been in a coma 10 days. He has continued to improve and take baby steps to getting better. However, yesterday we did have a couple minor setbacks......he now has a staph infection in his lungs and sinuses and developed a small bloodclot in his lower arm where his pic line is. They changed the pic line to the other arm and started him on heprin to thin his blood. They have also added another IV antibiotic to fight the staph infections. So far his lung xrays continue to improve and were hoping the staph infection is only minor. He's scheduled for the trach sometime this morning. He was suppose to have the procedure done yesterday but got bumped from the OR due to an emergency with another patient. I'm really looking forward to seeing him without all the tubes going down his throat..... he should be alot more comfortable. The game plan for later today is to gradually reduce sedation and hopefully he'll wake up and come back to us. within a couple of days . We really appreciate all of your prayers, love and exceptional support in this most difficult time., We all need to remain strong....have faith...and believe in Alex's ability to be a fighter. He may have been beaten at things in life in the past, as we all have, at one time or another. But he has never been defeated and I believe with all my heart this will not defeat him. He will fight on to the finish line.

Hroth

Thanks for posting that update. He will be missed at this weekend's Great Lakes Multihull Championship, and I am sure they will be taking a moment to wish Alex well at one of the dinners. As for me, I am off to Mont Tremblant tomorrow for an Ironman this coming Sunday. A big part of it will be done for Alex and his recovery and honor.

Word around Musketucky on Friday was that the Lake Express Ferry reported that morning that they were experiencing mid-lake winds of 30-40 and an occasional 20ft wave.

It actually made it out in that weather?... Good for them.

Updated 16 hrs ago from Alex's FB page...

Another update from Alex's dad:

It's been about 5 hours since they turned off Alex's sedatives and he seems to be tolerating that well. They've got music going for him and his mom continues to live at the bedside. Medically, he is still doing great and has successfully gotten rid of a lot of his excess fluids. They are going to start some physical therapy to increase his mobility in his arms and legs. While he is not responsive yet, it appears that he may be opening his eyes when there is activity in his room. C'mon Alex... Fight on brother!

Congrats to the Muskegon Yacht Club Melgest 24 fleet for a great showing at this past weekends Invitational in Traverse City!

Congrats to the Muskegon Yacht Club Melgest 24 fleet for a great showing at this past weekends Invitational in Traverse City!

I (we ... hopefully) had a blast and learned a fair bit!

Seventeen boats and six from the MYC fleet (seven if you count Shane's boat which lives at BBS). Congrats to Gray/Sagan/Schumacher for a hard fought third place!

Haz

How's in for the Musky to GH pursuit race and the return race on Saturday?

Heading down Friday afternoon instead of the pursuit race. I am not a "morning" person :-)

Ticklish is in.

7:11.33 is fricken early.

9AM skippers meeting in GH.

We must average 7kts+ to get there on time, South 9kts perdicted.....gonna miss it!

Return trip looks like two bags of ice needed.

Ticklish is in.

We must average 7kts+ to get there on time, South 9kts perdicted.....gonna miss it!

9AM skippers meeting for a noon start........I don't get it.

Ticklish is in.

gotta sober up sometime...

Ticklish is in.

Fair point but they always do it that way. Some of the boats that participate are east of the Drawbridge (or at least they used to be) or at Northshore so by the time they get back to their boats, make the bridge (only opens on the hour), and motor out to the lake, it may take them an hour or even two. We are a bit spoiled in Muskegon being able to hoist sails almost off the dock.

Still think 10 would be plenty early though.

Results of Saturdays GRSC Commodore's Cup posted anywhere?

I scored the race Saturday afternoon, but the MYC wireless was down, so no way to get it online. It'll be up by Wednesday.

There was poor communication between GRSC and MYC personnel. MYC finishing crew was on 69, SI's called for 73.

Felt (and was) rather 'thrown together at the last moment' .... will do better next year.

For the MYC Governor's Cup, the NOR's online and calls for skipper's meeting at 9AM Saturday, with warning for J&M at 10:25 and for Spinnaker at 11:00AM. Check the NOR here.

Haz

Didn't have a telephoto lense! LOL

First time I looked around and saw Peerless you were a mile ahead with the inshore route. We followed suit but not soon enough to be close!

Don't see them anywhere. Seemingly no awards at MYC after and no acknowledgement from RC at Sketown Pierheads either.

There were results but no awards--these are apparently on order.

My best recollection:

Div 1: Peerless then Majic

Div 2: Albion then STD

Overall: Peerless, Albion or Majic (can't remember who was 2nd who was 3rd), STD

Hrothgar

Didn't have a telephoto lense! LOL

First time I looked around and saw Peerless you were a mile ahead with the inshore route. We followed suit but not soon enough to be close!

Yeah, photos of the Peerless would have been a blue blur with Hoffmaster State Park in the background.

For you Macatawa folks, a decent desktop background shot last Thursday evening by a passenger. Some small boats racing(?) in the center of the frame. The black shape "above" them is a National Guard Blackhawk headed to Muskegon on a parallel course. Please to enjoy for your non-commercial use only.

edit: trying to sort out why my 500KB photo becomes less-than-screen-sized after upload. Will repost hi-res if I find a solution.

post-13844-0-52270500-1346264417_thumb.jpg

What a GREAT weekend of sailing!

Congrats to Peerless for the overall Governor's Cup victory, especially their crushing first day (3 out of 3 fleet bullets).

Fun to see a lot of people having such a good time!

Haz

What a GREAT weekend of sailing!

Congrats to Peerless for the overall Governor's Cup victory, especially their crushing first day (3 out of 3 fleet bullets).

Fun to see a lot of people having such a good time!

Haz

Great committee boat work, too. Shifty stuff.

So what Muskegon boats are headed down for the Anchorage?

Rumor has it that Bad Dog skippered by a crazy Polack will be participating in said "Anchorage Cup"

Good Luck Guys,,. Sail Fast! Don't hit anybody :-) !!

The STD is in. We are headed down to Grand Haven Saturday AM then coming straight back after the race.

Forecast here:

GRAND HAVEN TO WHITEHALL MI-

327 AM EDT FRI SEP 7 2012

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH

SATURDAY AFTERNOON...

.TODAY...SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS VEERING NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 KNOTS

LATE IN THE DAY. A CHANCE OF RAIN UNTIL MIDDAY...THEN RAIN IN THE

AFTERNOON. WAVES AROUND 1 FOOT.

.TONIGHT...NORTH WINDS 15 TO 25 KNOTS. SHOWERS LIKELY. A CHANCE OF

WATERSPOUTS. WAVES 1 TO 3 FEET BUILDING TO 3 TO 5 FEET AFTER

MIDNIGHT.

.SATURDAY...NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 25 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF WATERSPOUTS

UNTIL MIDDAY. MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES

3 TO 5 FEET.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS VEERING NORTH

TOWARD DAYBREAK. PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES 2 TO

4 FEET.

$$

LMZ846-071515-

HOLLAND TO GRAND HAVEN MI-

SATURDAY AFTERNOON...

.TODAY...SOUTH WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS VEERING NORTHWEST LATE IN THE

DAY. A CHANCE OF RAIN UNTIL MIDDAY...THEN SHOWERS AND SCATTERED

THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON. WAVES AROUND 1 FOOT.

.TONIGHT...NORTH WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SHOWERS AND SCATTERED

THUNDERSTORMS...THEN SHOWERS LIKELY OVERNIGHT. A CHANCE OF

WATERSPOUTS THROUGH THE NIGHT. WAVES 1 TO 2 FEET BUILDING TO 3 TO

5 FEET AFTER MIDNIGHT.

.SATURDAY...NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF WATERSPOUTS

3 TO 5 FEET.

4 FEET.

Hroth

The STD is in. We are headed down to Grand Haven Saturday AM then coming straight back after the race.

Forecast here:

GRAND HAVEN TO WHITEHALL MI-

SATURDAY AFTERNOON...

..SATURDAY...NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 25 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF WATERSPOUTS

3 TO 5 FEET.

4 FEET.

$$

LMZ846-071515-

HOLLAND TO GRAND HAVEN MI-

SATURDAY AFTERNOON...

.SATURDAY...NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF WATERSPOUTS

3 TO 5 FEET.

4 FEET.

Hroth

Should be a screaming run :D all the way down.

And a miserable trip back with that on the nose all the way. :blink:

Have a great race, guys. Sorry to miss this one.

Wow what a ride! Probably the bet hour of sailing I have in a really long time. We ended up with the frac A3 and J 3 up just sending it. They had a scoring fuck up that I hear is being fixed. We finished like 5 or 6 mins behind the 70, not bad for a 35'er :) smiles everywhere.

Would like to hear more about Shorty's experience in the Anchorage Cup this weekend...

How was the party?

Feel free to share your Anchorage experience as well. At least you did'nt hit anybody.

Party was fun, band put on a good show.

We have at least 6 J/35's racing this weekend at the Muskegon Yacht Club. Have some crew slots open on a few boats though. Anyone who might be interested in racing this weekend at MYC, either or both days, please PM me. 12 Noon first gun.

Dear PHRF committee, we were doing eight knots...

LOL!! Talked to BT before I left. They hit 18+knts on that run! Freaky fast for a little boat! GTFP!!

I saw 38 apparent on the damped gauges last night on Bad Dog, anybody see more in those gust?

Was watching when STD's boom decided it was time to become two smaller booms instead of one big boom! The STD crew did an outstanding job of controling the boat, getting the sail down, and beating everybody back to the bar! Hope they are back sailing quickly to finish out the great season they have had. Vid above is just as we rounded the first weather mark!

I saw 38 apparent on the damped gauges last night on Bad Dog, anybody see more in those gust?

Was watching when STD's boom decided it was time to become two smaller booms instead of one big boom! The STD crew did an outstanding job of controling the boat, getting the sail down, and beating everybody back to the bar! Hope they are back sailing quickly to finish out the great season they have had. Vid above is just as we rounded the first weather mark!

We hope to be back on the water next week with what will likely be the fugliest looking boom ever! BT is on the case!

Hroth

Dear PHRF committee, we were doing eight knots...

Obviously are rating is wrong because the other boat that rates exactly the same as we did finished 8 seconds after us. They need to adjust our number by 1.2 seconds per mile.

We hope to be back on the water next week with what will likely be the fugliest looking boom ever! BT is on the case!

Hroth

Good News!

• <