West Michigan Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sailing 12/23/18. Scottie took out tons of people.  One may have rinsed off in the lake... stole this pic from FB because it was better than mine.

Docks at South Shore YC have not been repaired yet.  We are working on them.  Some of the structural steel is being put in place.  However, the other question is the breakwall.  With the water le

Posted Images

High School regatta yesterday, 11/2, on Spring Lake

Great shot! I was the PRO for this regatta and my kids were both skippering boats. Great event with two flights of 21 Club 420s each and 7 Lasers on the water. Props to the Spring Lake Sailing Team for serving up an amazing thanksgiving style meal as part of the event. Quite possibly the biggest turkey leg I've ever eaten. I felt like Fred Flintstone. Thanks for the photo!

I should point out that upon further review it looks like congrats should also be extended to Crystal from Hoqua-looks like the captain is making the best out of a bad situation!

Nice work on this pic too, if you haven't seen it yet the winning shots are now posted on the mac site.

fyshebone !! Once again a winner in the Race to Mac photo contest! Congrats my friend!

attachicon.gifMac Photo Winner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so BUMP! Took me a while to find this thread it was soo deep.

Anything interesting come up at the WMIYC meeting?

No stories from the MAC awards banquet?

Any damage from the storm?

Any pics of the waves?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. If you can spare a minute hit the link below and vote for Detroit native Bora for Seahorse Magazine sailor of the month.

As I'm sure you all know, Bora trained in Muskegon the entire end of last summer. It's obvious that the skills he developed dodging salmon fisherbillies, freighters and sailing a moth on Muskegon Lake without having the water ever touch bare skin proved to be all it took to be the best in the world.

http://www.seahorsemagazine.com/sailor-of-the-month

Hey all. If you can spare a minute hit the link below and vote for Detroit native Bora for Seahorse Magazine sailor of the month.

As I'm sure you all know, Bora trained in Muskegon the entire end of last summer. It's obvious that the skills he developed dodging salmon fisherbillies, freighters and sailing a moth on Muskegon Lake without having the water ever touch bare skin proved to be all it took to be the best in the world.

Done,

Since he's use to sailing on top of the water, is he coming back around for Ice boating?

Vote sent-will hope for similar result down under next month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jeez, had to mount an expidition to find this thread!! Everybody head south for the winter?

Happy New Year to all! Launch is 17 weeks from Friday!

:)

YES!! Major and very visible changes! Plan on spending Super Bowl Sunday in Muskegon!

Make sure you all get to the MYC when it opens in February, lots of big projects going on in January!

• 2 weeks later...

YES!! Major and very visible changes! Plan on spending Super Bowl Sunday in Muskegon!

Make sure you all get to the MYC when it opens in February, lots of big projects going on in January!

can you give us non-members a hint at what to look forward to seeing new and / or renovated in May when I show up to race ? Also does this makeover include more parking ?

can you give us non-members a hint at what to look forward to seeing new and / or renovated in May when I show up to race ? Also does this makeover include more parking ?
/

C'mon Triple Zeros answer the question! Did you add more non-member parking? You're on the board, you should know these things.

Any good ice down state? Everything up here has waaaaaaay too much snow on it. We had maybe a day or two of good ice before it got snowed on, not a good year for the ice boats :/

anchor bay ( lake st clair)is sail able but bumpy. Better ice the farther out you go. But defiantly bumpy

Any good ice down state? Everything up here has waaaaaaay too much snow on it. We had maybe a day or two of good ice before it got snowed on, not a good year for the ice boats :/

anchor bay ( lake st clair)is sail able but bumpy. Better ice the farther out you go. But defiantly bumpy

No more parking, unless someone is donating more land to the club. Renovations are in the bar. Come to the grand re-opening on SuperBowl Sunday!

/

C'mon Triple Zeros answer the question! Did you add more non-member parking? You're on the board, you should know these things.

just saw this. lartaunt answered. bar looks awesome, incredible change!

/

"more non-member parking" Now that is good stuff...

/

Pics or it didn't happen!

Hroth

• 2 weeks later...

Before and After pic of the bar at Muskegon Yacht Club! Thanks to the Tuesday morning work group (avg age 73 I am told) who did 100% of the labor in this project. New carpet and big screen TV's too. It is really nice. The staff was hard at work all over the club while we were closed in January and the place is sparkling! Stop in to see! www.muskegonyachtclub.org

post-15596-0-59060900-1391470285_thumb.jpg

+1 on the volunteer help and staff that made this happen. MYC is a great place to hang out, in both hard and soft water season.

Before and After pic of the bar at Muskegon Yacht Club! Thanks to the Tuesday morning work group (avg age 73 I am told) who did 100% of the labor in this project. New carpet and big screen TV's too. It is really nice. The staff was hard at work all over the club while we were closed in January and the place is sparkling! Stop in to see! www.muskegonyachtclub.org

To my friends in Muskegon, new bar looks really great. However, I can't resist... Macatawa Bay YC will see your bar, and raise you a new club house... Back to shoveling ...

Thanks and good luck with the construction in Holland! Wish we could do the whole building but withoug pulling a TCYC that is unlikely in Muskegon LOL! We will have to do it the debt free/ no assesment way one project at a time. We do have a brand new floating dock marina though!

We were out at the Holland channel before noon on Saturday and saw a few people venturing onto the lake ice, maybe a couple hundred yards. Then we drove up to Grand Haven in the afternoon and it looked like thousands of ants crawling on sugar cubes out there. There were 20X the number of people and they were venturing many times further out. Not the most intelligent thing to do.

Anyone going to Ensign nationals in Pentwater this summer? I think the Yooper contingent is going to be invading in strong numbers.

I just might have to head up for that. Let me know if any Yooper boats are looking for Yooper crew.

You got it. Not sure who I'll be sailing with yet. I rarely get to sail Ensign's during the wed. night races since I work out of town during the week. I'll probably just go and help out where needed.

Anyone going to Ensign nationals in Pentwater this summer? I think the Yooper contingent is going to be invading in strong numbers.

I just might have to head up for that. Let me know if any Yooper boats are looking for Yooper crew.

You got it. Not sure who I'll be sailing with yet. I rarely get to sail Ensign's during the wed. night races since I work out of town during the week. I'll probably just go and help out where needed.

I think Instinct from Cedarville is rolling down, maybe a few others as well. If I end up getting a boat together my team my roll down as well (If I don't go with Instinct)

Let me put out some feelers. I know there are a few around, not sure of their status.

1sailor might know of some also. He usually has his ears open for that kind of stuff. Shorty, are you beer drinking at 2/3rds ball park Saturday?

No drinking for me. Had shoulder surgery yesterday. The 50 and older hockey league in Holland did me in.

Let me put out some feelers. I know there are a few around, not sure of their status.

1sailor might know of some also. He usually has his ears open for that kind of stuff. Shorty, are you beer drinking at 2/3rds ball park Saturday?
No drinking for me. Had shoulder surgery yesterday. The 50 and older hockey league in Holland did me in.

Shorty, does that make a bakers dozen on shoulder surgeries for you?

Planning on it!! You hear Jack passed this winter? Bummer.

Sly, do you know of any area Ensigns that are available for charter? I think I want to put together an E-Shorty team.

We've got a nice used one at the shop right now, came in 3rd place at nationals last year. Buy it, win nationals, sell for profit!

Shorty, does that make a bakers dozen on shoulder surgeries for you?

No, first time for surgery. I was around a half dozen or so dislocations. Four involved hockey/skating.

I think Instinct from Cedarville is rolling down, maybe a few others as well. If I end up getting a boat together my team my roll down as well (If I don't go with Instinct)

Trim did you get my message about the Ensign for sale? Sounds pretty perfect for what you need, and it should be nationals ready.

Trim did you get my message about the Ensign for sale? Sounds pretty perfect for what you need, and it should be nationals ready.

Got it and forwarded the info. Thanks.

I'm close to saying "Uncle" Still love the winter but work sucks in these temps. The Queens cup will be colder than normal I would guess and you know that is saying something.

Last year was just about the coldest queens cup water temp wise that I can recall... Some how I am betting this year will be even colder... Mustang Suites for everyone!

Me too!

I'm close to saying "Uncle" Still love the winter but work sucks in these temps. The Queens cup will be colder than normal I would guess and you know that is saying something.

attachicon.gifSUH.JPG

Nice picture of Angelo in the crane.

The boat is nice too.

Great one! That is funny! :D

Me too!

attachicon.gifSUH.JPG

Went iceboating on Lake Superior last sunday. It was open water Saturday morning, but froze about 8-10 inches thick by Sunday. Perfect mirror finish, so clear you couldn't even tell there was ice there! Fun stuff. Even more fun if it was above zero. Temperatures in the mornings around here have been -20 to -30f, no windchill.

Would love to see pics of that.

Went iceboating on Lake Superior last sunday. It was open water Saturday morning, but froze about 8-10 inches thick by Sunday. Perfect mirror finish, so clear you couldn't even tell there was ice there! Fun stuff. Even more fun if it was above zero. Temperatures in the mornings around here have been -20 to -30f, no windchill.

Would love to see pics of that.

I've got a couple crappy cell phone vids and a couple of pics of the ice I'll upload.

ice.jpg

Lower harbor?

Lower harbor'ish off of south beach. The power plant would be behind me (the cameraman). I would've taken better video but I had just finished my turn on the boat and was freezing my ass off. It was around 5 degrees or so. Was on the way to my parents for dinner when I got a call to come down for iceboating, so I wasn't exactly dressed for conditions :D Was my first time in an iceboat, lots of fun! Those things can rip... That was Ariel's (girl in the pic and vid) first time in an iceboat as well.

Okay, my calendar says that my launch is scheduled for 8 weeks from Friday... THIS Friday! At this point it is hard to imagine that the ice will even be off the lake by then let alone sailing weather

Yeah I have definitely had enough!

Two out of the past three seasons I've had my boat, it hasn't gone in until July. First year was because I was finishing projects on the boat, last year the weather sucked. It's looking like it won't be going in until July again this year either lol. Makes for a damn short season.

Okay, my calendar says that my launch is scheduled for 8 weeks from Friday... THIS Friday! At this point it is hard to imagine that the ice will even be off the lake by then let alone sailing weather

Yeah I have definitely had enough!

Us too Larry!

Can't wait.

Hrothgar

Ice on Muskegon Lake is 30"+ and is still building. I've never seen more than 16" in the short time I've been around here.

Any guesses on when it opens up? I'm optimistically saying April 20th. There's been years in the past where we have launched half of the yard by that time.