West Michigan Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sailing 12/23/18. Scottie took out tons of people.  One may have rinsed off in the lake... stole this pic from FB because it was better than mine.

Docks at South Shore YC have not been repaired yet.  We are working on them.  Some of the structural steel is being put in place.  However, the other question is the breakwall.  With the water le

Posted Images

For those of you who still like books with pictures (like me), you might enjoy this historical fiction graphic novel set in Bluffton. Saw the author speak tonight at the Muskegon Art Museum.

http://www.amazon.com/Bluffton-My-Summers-Buster-Keaton/dp/076365079X

Cool! We are doing that sort of thing/project with my students right now and it gave another great example of how to tell a story.

I am on the mailing list for Cherry Republic and kind of a cool blog with pics of a journey out to North Manitou and back recently by the owner of the company with a few friends.

http://blog.cherryrepublic.com/?p=2243&utm_source=Cherry+Republic+Orchard+Report&utm_campaign=f75294faf2-March_7_20143_7_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d264e58c89-f75294faf2-243866893

sorry my bad didn't realize this was already up!

No worries. Great read! And thanks for posting it here since some may not have seen the earlier post on a different thread. Good on ya!

• 2 weeks later...

You can almost imagine that white is glare off the water and the sailing you speak of didn't require runners. Launch 5 weeks from tomorrow. Ice thickness 30+ inches.

My ORR certificate arrived today.

For what it cost, you would think they could replace the toner cartridge so the print was dark enough that I could read it. They used to actually be in color but that was when they cost a lot less. This year's looks like it was run on a ten year old desktop copier with a moving scan deck.

Nice pic, thanks for posting fysche. Maybe you can build some type of wood frame under fawn and launch a new trend-after all they have put them on foils already, think of what a photo op that would be, the worlds first ice laser.

Saving the thread from the depths of page 2.
Good day of sailing yesterday in Muskegon.

Haven't got my hard copy yet but did request and got an electronic one emailed to me. As an fyi even though I uploaded it to race docs about a week ago and you can view it as such it is not listed as "complete". The race folks have told me that they will get around to it soon, so don't be too alarmed if it does not show up as "complete" as the other stuff that when you change it appears more as a "live" system.

You can almost imagine that white is glare off the water and the sailing you speak of didn't require runners. Launch 5 weeks from tomorrow. Ice thickness 30+ inches.

My ORR certificate arrived today.

For what it cost, you would think they could replace the toner cartridge so the print was dark enough that I could read it. They used to actually be in color but that was when they cost a lot less. This year's looks like it was run on a ten year old desktop copier with a moving scan deck.

• 3 weeks later...

hmm just looked and it is physically still there.....I know power was out here till Sunday eve and I didn't get home internet/phone till monday morning so not sure if that is related or not.

The Balcom's webcam appears dead, too. Did it blow off?

stopped by last night (Thurs). Doors were off Nat J and back up very quickly, cleanup well underway, boats picked up. Didn't get in close to check out any specific boat damage but for the most part it appeared to be relatively minor. It might or might not "buff right out" though. Obviously some broken sticks from the fall over's though so their season might not start on time. Overall Torresen's appeared to be handling it quickly and well.

• 2 weeks later...

Who's in for the Spring Challenge Race next Wednesday, May 7 at MYC?

We will be there.

Hroth

Bad Dog will be there if we can get her put together in time for the race!

This Cleveland boy will be heading to Gull Lake for one of the best Star regattas in the mid-West in a little over a week.

Can't wait to return to southwest Michigan for great racing and even better times with friends off the water.

You wolverines are gracious hosts! See you soon......

Thanks, cool pics of my favorite place on earth. Am thinking the fastest way to the island this year might be to follow directly behind the mack on its way north and let it push all the white stuff out of the way. Think it is going to be a windy cold summer.

Well, who's in for tonight's fun in MKG?

...and I flew over the Manitous yesterday and they look cold.

Dropped a mini 12 in Marquette harbor over the weekend. Fun times sailing around the ice. I knew the ice was still thick, but I had NO idea how thick. Some of those chunks are going down at least 6 to 7 feet. I was kind of joking about using ice bergs as marks for the Ensign Regionals up here at the end of June, but jesus christ this stuff isn't going to melt anytime soon.

Toward the end of the video when I get the underwater shot of the lone ice berg, the bottom is about 9 feet down, and you can see the ice extending pretty damn close to the bottom.

What is the boat sunk on the bottom? how old?

I'm not sure but I don't think it's all that old. I looks like an outboard was mounted on the transom. It was a decent sized boat though. Once the docks are in at the yacht club, my boat is anchored just about on top of it :D

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to the STD boys on their 3rd at the Chicago NOODs!

My big question--how were temps on the delivery? I'm thinking ahead to a (hopefully not too) cold Queen's...

STD is back in Muskegon. Delivery chaps said it was actually warmer coming home than going down--though a bit bumpier coming home! See you all Wednesday!

Hroth

Congrats Hrothgar! That was a tough section with some very well sailed boats. A 3rd is a very solid result! Wish we would have been ready. Did some tuning on Saturday in Muskegon so hopefully back on track. See you Wed.

I'm new to sailing on this side of Lake Michigan. Who's racing in the MBYC Commodores Cup thingy this weekend?

We're not racing, but we'll be testing out the new C0 on Shorty after the racing is finished if you want to join us. I'll have good beer!

The new club might be semi opened by this weekend. Hope it is. Not sure of the turnout for the C- cup. Things have been a little slow at the club but enjoy yourself. Shorty, I need to drink a beer with you and get caught up on things. I'm heading to Bermuda next week for the return delivery on Eliminator.

I think I'll join you if my schedule allows and you don't mind a hack like me on board. I think my neighbor up the block is part of your shorthandedness.

I'm new to sailing on this side of Lake Michigan. Who's racing in the MBYC Commodores Cup thingy this weekend?

We're not racing, but we'll be testing out the new C0 on Shorty after the racing is finished if you want to join us. I'll have good beer!

I think I'll join you if my schedule allows and you don't mind a hack like me on board. I think my neighbor up the block is part of your shorthandedness.

We're a bunch of hacks, so what's another hack. I think I know who you're referring to and he's our chief hack. I'm the director of hacks. Should be fun!
  • 3 weeks later...

Not the first time, for some stupid ass reason I'm doing it again. Mac race is like Herpes, it goes away, you forget about it and then you find yourself infected again. WTF am I thinking every year.

At least we're stoked to do better than last year. Always better than last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats to all the West Michigan boats that did well in the Mac this year. Here is probably a partial list.

Aftershock--first in class, third overall

Gauntlet--first in class

Bad Dog--second in class

Spirit Walker--second in class

Buzz--second in class

Heartbreaker--third in class

Souveneir--4th in class

Standard Deviation--4th in class

Windancer--5th in class

Pretty impressive. As a proportion of boats entered from MYC, that is probably the best set of results in the race.

Cheers.

Hrothgar

Lucky Strike is a West Michigan boat, just further North, with West Michigan roots, and winter home is Torresen. 1st in Bayview Mac, 1st to finish and 2nd (due to penalty) in Chi Mac.

Lucky Strike is a West Michigan boat, just further North, with West Michigan roots, and winter home is Torresen. 1st in Bayview Mac, 1st to finish and 2nd (due to penalty) in Chi Mac.

Congrats to Lucky Strike! My bad for the oversight!

Hrothgar

Congrats to Lucky Strike! My bad for the oversight!

Hrothgar

No worries, Hroth. Thumbs up to shouting out for everyone!

What no love for Solstice getting fifth in class in the multi hull fleet? I know there where only six boats but first year for the entire crew to sail together let alone on a Tri..

Nicely done! You'll all get it dialed in soon enough. Great having you in the Multihull fleet and community!

Great Race! Much better (warmer) than I was expecting! Last 24 hours top 4 boats in the Level 35 division were within sight of each other. Couldn't reel #1 all the way back in after they squirted out Saturday but squeeked out 38 seconds in front of Touch of Grey for 2nd (again). Top four boats finished within 12 minutes! 2-4 with 1 minute. Freaking nuts after 300+ miles!

Props to Geff for letting the crew grab a hot shower and a drink without standing in line upon arrival at Mac! Your the best!

I was a zombie with next to no sleep from Sat morning until Monday night!

Props to Geff for letting the crew grab a hot shower and a drink without standing in line upon arrival at Mac! Your the best!

I was a zombie with next to no sleep from Sat morning until Monday night!

No worries, Lartaunt. Glad to have you all make yourselves comfortable! That is what it is all about and there for.

We're a Chicago-based boat spending the week in South Haven next week with the boat. In the past, the SHYC has let us join them for their Thursday night series, which was a lot of fun. Great burger on the deck afterwards. Anyone know who is running the racing program there this year? Would like to connect and see if they'll have us back. Thx.

We're a Chicago-based boat spending the week in South Haven next week with the boat. In the past, the SHYC has let us join them for their Thursday night series, which was a lot of fun. Great burger on the deck afterwards. Anyone know who is running the racing program there this year? Would like to connect and see if they'll have us back. Thx.

I forward this thread to the person that runs the racing. I'm a member of SHYC and it should not be a problem. Welcome to South Haven and enjoy.

Have you ever consider the history of shipwrecks on Lake Huron? I had the opportunity to captain the R/V Storm all this week and get a first hand look at a number of wrecks on Lake Huron. The next time your sailing on our Great Lakes keep in mind the amazing history and check out all the fantastic things happening at Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary in Alpena, Michigan.

post-3551-0-42928900-1407029383_thumb.jpg