West Michigan Thread

Bozo's Circus is looking for a couple crew for the J35 North American Championship regatta this Friday through Sunday at the Muskegon Yacht Club. PM me and I will give you their phone#.

Thanks!

Lartaunt

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bump!    Boats are flying out of the water this week with dreams of a better year next year.   Muskegon YC finished racing on Oct 14.  For the summer, we started racing on May 20, (two weeks later tha

I want to clarify some things about the Docking situation: CYC Mac Committee has been working hard on this issued and we were able t arrange docking at Mac Harbor, Straits or St Ignace and pay fo

Posted Images

Sorry we missed the GRSC Commodores Cup but we were having fun banging out 4 races in the J35 NA's! Great day of sailboat racing in West Michigan!

I scored the GRSC Commodore's Inv., but was hesitant to post results before GRSC, due to not knowing the results of a protest. We'll call these Preliminary Results.

Governor's Cup at MYC was yesterday. Heard comments about enjoying the changes (one day, 18 miles, on Muskegon Lake). Results posted on MYC site.

Haz

Thanks for posting this and also for being on the "committee pier" at the finish.

I scored the GRSC Commodore's Inv., but was hesitant to post results before GRSC, due to not knowing the results of a protest. We'll call these Preliminary Results.

Governor's Cup at MYC was yesterday. Heard comments about enjoying the changes (one day, 18 miles, on Muskegon Lake). Results posted on MYC site.

Haz

Big Fun racing at Red Fox on Lake Charx this weekend!

F18's to the 50' tri with sport boats and cruisers pinging marks all over the Lake Charlevoix, what a gas.

That was my first Red Fox, what a cool event. Definitely on the list for next year.

Right on! My first one too... and you definitely nailed it with the fleet description.

Any Anchorage results anywhere?

Saw a video of Windancer just ahead of Revalation so the 70 did finally get by the Antrim 27 but it had to be close to the line. The antrim was FLYING! and I would be shocked if they weren't 1st overall but no results on the site or anywhere else so far. A bit disappointing in this day and age.

...and anyone have an email address for this S2 7.9? I have some decent shots of their boat.

The boat closest to you is an S2 10.3 meter called "Abbie Normal". The boat "Tenacity" with the blue and green graphics is an S2 9.1 Meter. I know both owners and have contact info for both. Send me a PM if you want contact info.

...and anyone have an email address for this S2 7.9? I have some decent shots of their boat.

The boat closest to you is an S2 10.3 meter called "Abbie Normal". The boat "Tenacity" with the blue and green graphics is an S2 9.1 Meter. I know both owners and have contact info for both. Send me a PM if you want contact info.

Thanks! The Antrim is 1st overall by 17 Minutes!! Only 5 minutes behind Windancer for line honors. Amazing performance! Shorty, not too shabby by you and your boat as well! Congrats! I offered to race the Antrim back to Muskegon but he said only if we swap boats!

Thanks! The Antrim is 1st overall by 17 Minutes!! Only 5 minutes behind Windancer for line honors. Amazing performance! Shorty, not too shabby by you and your boat as well! Congrats! I offered to race the Antrim back to Muskegon but he said only if we swap boats!

Thanks! It was a good ride, but results would be a lot different had we been racing in the other direction...similar to last year.

F18's to the 50' tri with sport boats and cruisers pinging marks all over the Lake Charlevoix, what a gas.

That was my first Red Fox, what a cool event. Definitely on the list for next year.

Right on! My first one too... and you definitely nailed it with the fleet description.

I'll second this about Red Fox this year - was a great event. Really fun watching the fleet spread out on Sunday and take over the whole lake.

That said, some more time with a kite up would have been nice... although watching the bold broach in all directions was pretty fun too on Saturday in those puffs...

I'll second this about Red Fox this year - was a great event. Really fun watching the fleet spread out on Sunday and take over the whole lake.

That said, some more time with a kite up would have been nice... although watching the bold broach in all directions was pretty fun too on Saturday in those puffs...

On Saturday, we had to turn down hard in some of those blasts that rolled through, and at 20+ kts of boat speed coming up on some of the others with a 50' tri that weighs 10k lbs was a hoot, and the wide eyed looks of those boats we blasted to leeward of made for memorable stories.

On Saturday, we had to turn down hard in some of those blasts that rolled through, and at 20+ kts of boat speed coming up on some of the others with a 50' tri that weighs 10k lbs was a hoot, and the wide eyed looks of those boats we blasted to leeward of made for memorable stories.

We joked that if we broached in front of you we'd get hit by three boats at once and be stuck like a pickle on a fork. That tri is FAST.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump. Thank you, MYC race committee, for making the call last night while all sensible boats were still at the dock.

Yeah when the wind cups on Windancer 70ft up are not spinning, it is time to adjourn to the bar... or take a sunset motor cruise (which is what we did!)

and thanks for bumping this out of obscurity!

Bump. Thank you, MYC race committee, for making the call last night while all sensible boats were still at the dock.

Yeah when the wind cups on Windancer 70ft up are not spinning, it is time to adjourn to the bar... or take a sunset motor cruise (which is what we did!)

and thanks for bumping this out of obscurity!

We managed to get a 2 leg race in down in Holland. Saw a whopping 7 knots of wind before it shut off.

Great night and end of the series at MYC last night. Went a little light and there was a nice oscilation going which made things interesting! The Mighty Peerless reappeared for the first time this season and stole the show with a first in division and overall! Standard Deviation ruled the night and clinched the summer series Division II win in the process. Majic wins the summer series in a runaway in Div 1 and overall. Will have to wait until the math and throw outs to see who won the other divisions.

Great night! Fun Season! Congrats to all

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

November and the Black River (South Haven) is iced over. I would not recommend walking on it just yet. But another week of this weather and they will be ice fishing on the river.

The north end of Big Bay de Noc is ice as far as you can see. Manistique Marina has been frozen over for a couple of weeks. Same story in Marquette on Superior. Brrrrr.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Great Lakes Wind Forecasting: A Workshop for Sailors will be offered at Strictly Sail Chicago from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on Friday, January 16, 2015. Whether you are a Mac racer, day sailor, beer-can racer, long distance cruiser, or one-design sailor, the skills learned during the workshop will enhance your understanding of the wind and improve your sailing performance. The workshop combines traditional classroom instruction, Great Lakes case studies, and hands-on exercises to create an engaging learning experience. Workshop details and registration materials can be found at: http://www.lakeeriewx.com/Seminars/StrictlySail/Wind.html

Mark

LakeErieWX: Marine Weather Education and Forecasting Resources

My Great Lakes Wind Forecasting: A Workshop for Sailors will be offered at Strictly Sail Chicago from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on Friday, January 16, 2015. Whether you are a Mac racer, day sailor, beer-can racer, long distance cruiser, or one-design sailor, the skills learned during the workshop will enhance your understanding of the wind and improve your sailing performance. The workshop combines traditional classroom instruction, Great Lakes case studies, and hands-on exercises to create an engaging learning experience. Workshop details and registration materials can be found at: http://www.lakeeriewx.com/Seminars/StrictlySail/Wind.html

Mark

Good on you but it is now an RV show and not "Strictly sail" anymore. Sad that times have changed and we need to share the place with Wally Winabago.

Mark

Good on you but it is now an RV show and not "Strictly sail" anymore. Sad that times have changed and we need to share the place with Wally Winabago.

I thought they already had that with the Mac 26X?.
  • 2 weeks later...

The mighty Peerless is participating in the Ft. Lauderdale to Key West race going on right now!http://kws.kattack.com/GEPlayer/GMPosDisplay.aspx?FeedID=1387&CourseID=222&KMLType=Pos&FleetID=5e9b329a-dd43-477f-a659-49f4f1aca0f4&YachtClubID=2676968d-f44e-4d5b-b816-47c1ac94bf79&TimezoneOffsetMin=300

Nice to see a boat from West Michigan participating! Sail Fast, and Safe boys!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, it's been almost two weeks, all of us are going to assume that the GTFP success was fueled by those two great things that make the deep south so great: pork rinds and sodomy, which began shortly after the boat touched saltwater. Someone else can now describe how those two factors contributed to a good start off Ft. Louderdale.

Talked to Andy on Sunday. Cliff note version: Race is a bit of an obstacle course. Lots of shoals, trash, oil rigs, fishing boats etc. Also almost completely at night with lots of shore lighs to confuse the crap out of you. Says they should have won. LOL! Says salt water sucks! Blew up the big kite.

Shorty is planning on both Mac races but is relocating to the East side for a new opportunity. Per FB post

Yup, we're heading east for a new job. I'll scope out clubs once I get over there, but I'll most likely join BYC as I have a few connections there. We had a great time racing over here and I'll miss the gang that I have been sailing with on a weekly basis. As Larry said, we'll do both Macs and then move Shorty to her new home. I also plan to keep the CYC streak going in future years, so if anyone is looking for an able body 2016 and on, let me know. Now I guess it's time to start a SE Michigan thread in style.....

Yup, we're heading east for a new job. I'll scope out clubs once I get over there, but I'll most likely join BYC as I have a few connections there. We had a great time racing over here and I'll miss the gang that I have been sailing with on a weekly basis. As Larry said, we'll do both Macs and then move Shorty to her new home. I also plan to keep the CYC streak going in future years, so if anyone is looking for an able body 2016 and on, let me know. Now I guess it's time to start a SE Michigan thread in style.....

Describe an able body?

Describe an able body?

Fracture has healed, shoulder has been repaired and eyesight hasn't completely gone to shit. I'm good to go.

Describe an able body?

Fracture has healed, shoulder has been repaired and eyesight hasn't completely gone to shit. I'm good to go.

Yeah they keep whittling me down but I'm still here too. I suggest you talk to my kin from the east side. They should be able to aim you in a good direction. PM me if you want their contact info.

Describe an able body?

Yeah they keep whittling me down but I'm still here too. I suggest you talk to my kin from the east side. They should be able to aim you in a good direction. PM me if you want their contact info.
I have all of their contact info. I'll be in touch with them soon. You'll have to come over for some of the weekend stuff next year.

Interesting. Bayview would be the best big boat sailing club, but it is a long ride back and forth to your DRYA circle. Either St Clair Shores or one of the Grosse Pointe city marinas depending on where you plan on living might be a better bet for dockage. Let me know if you need any info, or help.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never understood why the Muskegon boats view it as a burden to go to SH to do the Tripp but it's no burden for the SH boats to come up to Muskegon when the Tripp starts there. Hope you will all be in SH for the Tripp and again at the finish of the QC. Remember the great reception in SH in 2012. With waters higher, 2015 should be even better.

I have never understood why the Muskegon boats view it as a burden to go to SH to do the Tripp but it's no burden for the SH boats to come up to Muskegon when the Tripp starts there. Hope you will all be in SH for the Tripp and again at the finish of the QC. Remember the great reception in SH in 2012. With waters higher, 2015 should be even better.

Not to fuel the typical SA $&!?fight, but it's no secret that conditions in SH are almost always a crap shoot, while Musketucky conditions never are. Combine that w the sheer volume of 'skegon boats vs. SH boats, should reult in a resolution to your question.

It is not the conditions, it is the time. Leave Tuesday to deliver to SH, race over, race back, deliver home. it becomes a 6 day adventure to do 2 races, Mac race is only a day longer away, to race 3 times as far. The logistics are just ugly for the Muskegon boats. Not that it is any better for the SH boats to come to Muskegon but let's be real. Muskegon was nearly 20 percent of last years QC fleet as opposed to 2 boats from SH. (In 2012 to SH, MYC still had over 10 percent of the fleet).

You have to budget your time over the summer and Queen's/Tripp out of SH just doesn't fit in for me on top of NOODS and the MAC. SH is a great place to visit for a down and back weekend though!

It is not the conditions, it is the time. Leave Tuesday to deliver to SH, race over, race back, deliver home. it becomes a 6 day adventure to do 2 races, Mac race is only a day longer away, to race 3 times as far. The logistics are just ugly for the Muskegon boats. Not that it is any better for the SH boats to come to Muskegon but let's be real. Muskegon was nearly 20 percent of last years QC fleet as opposed to 2 boats from SH. (In 2012 to SH, MYC still had over 10 percent of the fleet).

You have to budget your time over the summer and Queen's/Tripp out of SH just doesn't fit in for me on top of NOODS and the MAC. SH is a great place to visit for a down and back weekend though!

So bring your boat down over the prior weekend. Enjoy the weekend in SH. Have one family member drive the car down. Leave boat and retn with crew Wed for Tripp. Gives you a great family weekend in SH plus two races in three days. Do it and the first pitcher's on me.

Not to fuel the typical SA $&!?fight, but it's no secret that conditions in SH are almost always a crap shoot, while Musketucky conditions never are. Combine that w the sheer volume of 'skegon boats vs. SH boats, should reult in a resolution to your question.

This doesn't make any sense. Are you saying that conditions are always good in Muskegon? Sorry, but afraid not. Granted, when it's light on the big lake, it's frequently "better" on the inside. But the discussion at hand is in reference to the Tripp Cup which happens to be run on Lake Michigan. When sailing on the big lake, neither location offers an advantage over the other.

Hidy Ho,

I've been sailing out of GTYC as crew for a year now and we done gone and bought a boat. Got us a 1979 San Juan 7.7 that used to race at the club and we're working on getting her ready for all this ice to melt. Any tips and tricks, sails, gear or whatever ya got for a couple of newbies who have the bug bad.

JOhn

Where did the Tripp race from last time we had SHYC as host?

Maybe we could all agree a little delivery is OK and race from Holland? There's nearly zero boats that race from point N of Musketucky, but there's plenty that race from Holland.

Easy enough to take Wednesday off and motor down to MBYC to pick up crew and race to cheddarville.

Maybe we could all agree a little delivery is OK and race from Holland? There's nearly zero boats that race from point N of Musketucky, but there's plenty that race from Holland.

Easy enough to take Wednesday off and motor down to MBYC to pick up crew and race to cheddarville.

That is not a bad idea.

It started out of SH last time and the numbers were decent. Holland might make more sense for a better draw. I don't recall how many entries there were from St. Joe, but they would be more likely to race if it starts in SH. There are still some MSK boats that still won't do the QC due to the length of delivery from SH, unfortunately.

MBYC start makes lots of sense. Spread the race around to various ports and clubs. It also cuts a little time off the race so boats get into SSYC in time to clean up and rest up for the nights activities.

Yeah, you need rest, eh?

I'm getting old Shorty. Staying up all night and then all day and then all night and then all day then all night doesn't work for me. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So, Tripp is from South Haven this year... What are all the Muskegon boats doing? I don't foresee Peerless going down to SH to cross the lake.

Are you doing Queen's?

Am hoping so, and making it over for the Tripp, and back for the Queen's really fast.