West Michigan Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Docks at South Shore YC have not been repaired yet.  We are working on them.  Some of the structural steel is being put in place.  However, the other question is the breakwall.  With the water le

I just wanted to hop on this thread to congratulate Larry and the crew of Bad Dog.  Enjoy the festivities, whatever they might be. Good work team!

Posted Images

Planning on coming to the MYC Member Guest Regatta and not sure where to stay?  RV and camper parking will be at Torresen Marine (stumbling distance from MYC).  Live in Grand Rapids and don't want to drive back every day?  Your wife doesn't want to see you after the party, stay where the fun is.  Currently working out a deal on rentals that could be set up for you when you arrive.  Get in touch with your MYC member friend and tell them you want in! Any guest boat must be an invited competitor from a MYC member.   More info to come.  Put this on your race schedule!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, blufftonbaysails said:

super exciting to see !   also I like the 100% american effort team of builders and sailors and including the Stars and Stripes name reborn!   

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, TripleZeros said:

Planning on coming to the MYC Member Guest Regatta and not sure where to stay?  RV and camper parking will be at Torresen Marine (stumbling distance from MYC).  Live in Grand Rapids and don't want to drive back every day?  Your wife doesn't want to see you after the party, stay where the fun is.  Currently working out a deal on rentals that could be set up for you when you arrive.  Get in touch with your MYC member friend and tell them you want in! Any guest boat must be an invited competitor from a MYC member.   More info to come.  Put this on your race schedule!

NOR for the MYC Member Guest is HERE   Check it out!  Entry is HERE 

Trans Michigan Race NOR and Registration are up and open HERE.     It is back in line with the opening of Summerfest in Milwaukee this year which is walkable from McKinley Marina First start is 9am CDT from Milwaukee on Friday June 28, 2019 with finish in Muskegon MI.   Tripp Memorial Cup will start in Holland MI this year on Wednesday June 26tj with a finish in Milwaukee WI 

15 hours ago, lartaunt said:

Trans Michigan Race NOR and Registration are up and open HERE.     It is back in line with the opening of Summerfest in Milwaukee this year which is walkable from McKinley Marina First start is 9am CDT from Milwaukee on Friday June 28, 2019 with finish in Muskegon MI.   Tripp Memorial Cup will start in Holland MI this year on Wednesday June 26tj with a finish in Milwaukee WI 

Who is taking care of the Tripp cup registration? Will it still be on yachtscoring?

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:50 AM, TripleZeros said:

Who is taking care of the Tripp cup registration? Will it still be on yachtscoring?

Tripp is a LMSRF race so handled by them.  I am sure it will be on Yachtscoring as it was last year.  I can make an inquiry as to expected registration opening.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, winter can't last forever!   Torresen Spring Thaw this weekend.  Time to get your VC and shake off the cobwebs.  Sailing is only eight weeks away!  Time to wake up West Michigan!!

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, TripleZeros said:

Back from deep in the pages.... so who thinks we should have spin 1, spin 2, merges, and jib classes on Wednesday races?  We could also keep doing it the way we do now so everyone gets a trophy every race so no one is sad.

Whats a 'merges'?

Hroth

Bit off topic here compared to the rest of the recent posts, but on topic for the thread title itself so I figured I'd drop it here.

I recently accepted a side gig as the Boat Maintenance Manager for the Grand Rapids Junior Sailing Association. It's based out of the Grand Rapids Yacht Club on Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids. I'll also be teaching beginner adult lessons on Monday and Thursday evenings there.

Anyone here sail at GRYC? 

OK this Safety At Sea seminar deal just got real.   Yes, I had all winter and did nothing about it.    Looking around online, the Chicago YC session is sold out, and few 'other' options remain.

Anyone have a good plan on this ?     What about hiring / flying in the instructor to do a local YC thing, so that only ONE person travels instead of ALL of us ?

Ideas or advice ?     Does the on-line class suffice, or do we need to do a full weekend gig to meet the rule, or what ?

35 minutes ago, 1sailor said:

Does the on-line class suffice, or do we need to do a full weekend gig to meet the rule, or what ?

5.10 - Safety Training Requirement - (a) At least 50% of a boat’s crew (rounded up), one of whom shall be the Person-In-Charge, shall complete one of the following safety courses within the 5 year period prior to the start of the Race: 

US Sailing Sanctioned Offshore Safety at Sea Class (1-day in person or online version at 
htps://www.boaterexam.com/sailing/safetyatsea/).

US Sailing Sanctioned International Offshore Safety at Sea with Hands-On-Training Class (2-day).

Equivalent World Sailing recognized course conducted by another World Sailing Member National Authority.

Online is sufficient. It does take a while to get through - about 3 hours of video with a quiz for each chapter.

• 4 weeks later...

A bump to get this off page 2.   Boats are slow going in this year and the high water is causing issues at many marina's   MYC banged out a great race this week with gust in the 20"s.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

Currently hanging in Sausalito getting ready for the Spin Cup on Saturday. Looking forward to some downhill sailing after the last couple of upwind Macs. 

What kind of boat are you on?   I’ll bet it’s a nice one whatever it is. :D

On 5/23/2019 at 6:52 PM, lartaunt said:

A bump to get this off page 2.   Boats are slow going in this year and the high water is causing issues at many marina's   MYC banged out a great race this week with gust in the 20"s.  

I had quite a chuckle reading this after tearing off all the destroyed deck hardware today.  We banged it out right into the stainless recycling.  Here’s to rejoining someday.

• 3 weeks later...

The MBYC Commodore’s Cup is Saturday, June 22, which is the weekend before the Tripp Cup. Since the Tripp starts in Holland this year, you can do some Saturday racing around the buoys and leave your boat in Holland for a few days before the Tripp. Come on down or up And join the fun!

Link for the Commodore’s Cup is below.

https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Trans Mi Race was fun.  Did 16 sail changes in the first 50 Miles then unfortunately the wind shut off for the rest of the day.   Finally motored in as I had obligation on Saturday but a good portion of the fleet finished.   Stripes went north and stayed in the wind the longest and won handily.  They had 19 sail changes!   Winds were 12ish at the start out of the South and gradually ramped up to 30+, and then gradually back down to zero before a shore breeze filled in around midnight.  Rhumb line was right on the conversion zone so saw winds from every angle at some point.  Challenging but, a good shake down for the Mac race.   Arma was the only casualty with failed bobstay that got the sprit excited and pointing to the sky.  McKinley Marina and Milwaukee YC took great care of us in Milwaukee!

• Like 2
On 7/2/2019 at 2:42 PM, lartaunt said:

Trans Mi Race was fun.  Did 16 sail changes in the first 50 Miles then unfortunately the wind shut off for the rest of the day.   Finally motored in as I had obligation on Saturday but a good portion of the fleet finished.   Stripes went north and stayed in the wind the longest and won handily.  They had 19 sail changes!   Winds were 12ish at the start out of the South and gradually ramped up to 30+, and then gradually back down to zero before a shore breeze filled in around midnight.  Rhumb line was right on the conversion zone so saw winds from every angle at some point.  Challenging but, a good shake down for the Mac race.   Arma was the only casualty with failed bobstay that got the sprit excited and pointing to the sky.  McKinley Marina and Milwaukee YC took great care of us in Milwaukee!

Not the best look. This is after we pushed it back down.

IMG954475(1).jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

6 of the 13 boats in the GH to Muskegon are 30 feet or below. Is the upwind leg just to peel them off the podium? I think its stupid. You now know my opinion even though you didn't ask. Keep it the way it has always been.  Thank you, have a nice day. 

5 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

6 of the 13 boats in the GH to Muskegon are 30 feet or below. Is the upwind leg just to peel them off the podium? I think its stupid. You now know my opinion even though you didn't ask. Keep it the way it has always been.  Thank you, have a nice day. 

For years in the '80s, the feeder race for the Tripp was MKG to GH, I did a couple of years and it was always a pursuit race which is fun beyond belief and in theory, everyone finishes at the same time.  I remember one year where we were preying on a small boat while a big one was eating us up.  We finished overlapped and we ended up 2nd.  The little guy won.  Way too much fun.  

Are you implying that the course is whatever angle necessary to have a beat for some distance before heading to MKG?  Stupid doesn't scratch the surface.  Bang the guns and let them go or spend 10 minutes, get some decent people on the RC boat, and do a pursuit which again, is fun as hell.  

3 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

For years in the '80s, the feeder race for the Tripp was MKG to GH, I did a couple of years and it was always a pursuit race which is fun beyond belief and in theory, everyone finishes at the same time.  I remember one year where we were preying on a small boat while a big one was eating us up.  We finished overlapped and we ended up 2nd.  The little guy won.  Way too much fun.  

Are you implying that the course is whatever angle necessary to have a beat for some distance before heading to MKG?  Stupid doesn't scratch the surface.  Bang the guns and let them go or spend 10 minutes, get some decent people on the RC boat, and do a pursuit which again, is fun as hell.  

I'm thinking I may have been on that "little boat"... a custom Impulse 26 called "Jazz". For sure, I recall battling a big boat for line honors at least one year in that race. The "backwards" pursuit style of that race was indeed a great time!!!  Good memories!

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, S291sailor said:

I'm thinking I may have been on that "little boat"... a custom Impulse 26 called "Jazz". For sure, I recall battling a big boat for line honors at least one year in that race. The "backwards" pursuit style of that race was indeed a great time!!!  Good memories!

Sunny Boy for that race, Vagary for many more.  I remember Jazz, a rig too complicated  for a 26' boat.  Good times, nah, great times!

• Like 2
21 hours ago, S291sailor said:

I had more fun on your boat at the NOODs than a person should.  I worked bow and on the first windward leg, the wind shifts that made a jibe set very obvious.  I'm at the mast asking everyone if they've done a jibe-set, your asshole BIL was the only one that raised his hand.  The cool thing was the crew work was great because we had a person for every job.  Hoist spinner, she was on it etc.  

You did a great job driving and it was tons of fun,

Jim (still have the Scooter shirt)

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:42 PM, TripleZeros said:

Update: 2 mile upwind leg was added to light forecast. 0 boats finished. 

Agree it didn't work.  The idea was to have an upwind start as the  normal downwind start has been a CF in the past. Some of the competitors in this race are not regular racers and their have been multiple collisions including a RC boat being hit and damaged. I was surprised they made it 2.5 miles upwind though.  Not sure the straight-line course would have gotten any or many finishers anyway though.  With the light air and chop we were barely doing 2 knots with the kite up on maximum heat and the jibe angles were ugly.  I wasn't provisioned for a 12 hour 11 mile race.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:54 PM, lartaunt said:

Agree it didn't work.  The idea was to have an upwind start as the  normal downwind start has been a CF in the past. Some of the competitors in this race are not regular racers and their have been multiple collisions including a RC boat being hit and damaged. I was surprised they made it 2.5 miles upwind though.  Not sure the straight-line course would have gotten any or many finishers anyway though.  With the light air and chop we were barely doing 2 knots with the kite up on maximum heat and the jibe angles were ugly.  I wasn't provisioned for a 12 hour 11 mile race.

Knew we weren't going to finish as soon as I saw the course. Wind did exactly what the high-res models said it was going to do. 

Fast boats would of finished the straight line course but I think the slow boats still would of gotten left out in that hole. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Bump from page 3!

Apparently not a lot going on in West Michigan Lately. 

We are building a Dragon 65 RC fleet at Muskegon Yacht Club.  Is anyplace else racing them? 

56 minutes ago, lartaunt said:

Bump from page 3!

Apparently not a lot going on in West Michigan Lately. 

We are building a Dragon 65 RC fleet at Muskegon Yacht Club.  Is anyplace else racing them? 

I am pretty sure there is a good group of folks who sail/race them all winter long out of North Cape YC just S of Monroe.  You may want to give them a shout to start.  But this was a number of years ago... It's worth a call.

• 1 month later...

Bump from page _3_  :(

The Dragonforce 65s are back in stock.  Am ordering one for the 10 y.o. and one for me.  We should start calling it The Last Affordable Fleet.

https://radiosailing.net/products/dragonforce-65-2017-version-6-650mm-df65-class-rc-sailboat?fbclid=IwAR0C0wXkBIPwMKRdOM9yzv7F88pcAq3dJ_-vTdkxzKXOXqyQ867W6G0_k1U

6 hours ago, fyschebone said:

The Dragonforce 65s are back in stock.  Am ordering one for the 10 y.o. and one for me.  We should start calling it The Last Affordable Fleet.

https://radiosailing.net/products/dragonforce-65-2017-version-6-650mm-df65-class-rc-sailboat?fbclid=IwAR0C0wXkBIPwMKRdOM9yzv7F88pcAq3dJ_-vTdkxzKXOXqyQ867W6G0_k1U

Nice!  They look really awesome!

8 hours ago, fyschebone said:

We've got 30+ in Traverse City at GTYC -- we should get up & down about a home & away regatta schedule.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Bump from page 3! 

Mac Registration is OPEN

What is happening in West Michigan over the winter.  New boats? 

• Muskegon Race Schedule just got released and NOR's and registration  up  on Yachtscoring. 
  • Wally Cross coming to MYC for a program sponsored by Bluffton Bay Sails/ Quantum Feb 29th 2pm

2020 MYC Race schedule 1-21-2020 (1).pdf

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, fyschebone said:

...another bump from page three.  Is anyone actually in yet, or planning to go in soon?  I believe there's a new Tri on Muskegon lake and it was already out last weekend...

The Tri is trailerable with easy on and off the water in less than an hour.  They are having a blast so far!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

What do you know about multis?  Stay safe buddy!

Not a thing.  Seems I read something about them somewhere in some sort of sailing instruction and manual.  That's when I could, and did read.  B)  All's well here and hope the same for you and yours.  Stay healthy and safe!

Docks at South Shore YC have not been repaired yet.  We are working on them.  Some of the structural steel

is being put in place.  However, the other question is the breakwall.  With the water level so high, and now the breakwall

so low, if we get another Nor'easter, the place will be another disaster.  The Board met Monday,  Haven't heard results

of that meeting yet.

• Like 4

thank you so much Gary for the update. All of us on ‘this side’ would be grateful for updates if you’re willing, as we go forward.

eric

• Like 1

And another event drops off the schedule.

Might be only little boat racing this season. pretty sure we can arrange single & family member racing.   Bummer for the double whammy on QC, water level/docks and now the 'rona.   

We were just discussing what to get at Groppies and getting a room at the Sheridan.

Crap. 

5 minutes ago, From the Helm said:

And another event drops off the schedule.

Might be only little boat racing this season. pretty sure we can arrange single & family member racing.   Bummer for the double whammy on QC, water level/docks and now the 'rona.   

We were just discussing what to get at Groppies and getting a room at the Sheridan.

Crap. 

Sunday mornings!  We’re usually social distancing on the recovery anyway. 

We are shooting to begin racing in Muskegon as soon as we can. Things will be different especially pre and post race for a while but we will be sailing. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, lartaunt said:

We are shooting to begin racing in Muskegon as soon as we can. Things will be different especially pre and post race for a while but we will be sailing. 

I’m expecting social distancing to be with us for a few months and that will make it difficult to race fully crewed. 

3 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

I’m expecting social distancing to be with us for a few months and that will make it difficult to race fully crewed. 

Why?  How is riding in a car with someone any different than being on a boat?  Or sitting at the dinner table with your family even?  I would argue being in a car is more dangerous from a COVID standpoint than sailing would be.  As long as private gatherings of some reasonable size are allowed, it should be fine to go sailing fully crewed.

But the parties...that's a different story.

Hroth

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

Why?  How is riding in a car with someone any different than being on a boat?  Or sitting at the dinner table with your family even?  I would argue being in a car is more dangerous from a COVID standpoint than sailing would be.  As long as private gatherings of some reasonable size are allowed, it should be fine to go sailing fully crewed.

But the parties...that's a different story.

Hroth

All the "stay at home" orders/guidelines are (were, depending on locale?) had the underlying assumption that you were only in close proximity to same household members (except for the essential grocery trips).  The idea is to limit interactions to the same group of people to reduce potential spread. 

Regarding driving, anecdotally at least throughout different USA regions, very few (if any) of the dozens of suppliers to a typical plant have been sending vehicles with multiple co-workers.  Everyone is driving on their own, or in many cases customers are simply not bringing in large outside contractor crews at all and just taking longer with their in-house staff.  Our techs are one man crews so we don't have to navigate the logistics of providing 100's of mechanical tradespeople for a typical maintenance shutdown.

While I don't disagree that being outside on a boat limits potential risk and no one (hopefully) would be on a crew if knowingly infected, there is still some risk of someone not showing symptoms suddenly sneezing, coughing etc.  Now you are mixing households together and having people travel from wider geographic areas to be together.  The question everyone is trying to figure out is how much risk is there, or in a month or 3 from now, mixing people together on property/docks/clubs or on overnight events if you have a handful of people sleeping on board.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, BayRacer said:

While I don't disagree that being outside on a boat limits potential risk and no one (hopefully) would be on a crew if knowingly infected, there is still some risk of someone not showing symptoms suddenly sneezing, coughing etc.  Now you are mixing households together and having people travel from wider geographic areas to be together.  The question everyone is trying to figure out is how much risk is there, or in a month or 3 from now, mixing people together on property/docks/clubs or on overnight events if you have a handful of people sleeping on board.

This ^. Which is why I think you'll see COLORS, Chi NOOD, and Chi Mac cancelled this season.  But I could be wrong... it happened once, I think...

• Like 1

Another question is what if they don't cancel races?  Would people still be willing to race if the races are held?  I can envision a real down year for participation if things are still held.

Hroth

8 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

Another question is what if they don't cancel races?  Would people still be willing to race if the races are held?  I can envision a real down year for participation if things are still held.

Hroth

Most of the boat owners over here will want to race, given their political predilections.  They're going to find crewing their boats fully very tough though.  Too many folks have kids/parents/spouses they live with that may be at risk from the COVID.  Maybe Bayview can rent out one of those empty hotels in Mack City for 14 days post-race as a fleet quarantine post.  

3 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Most of the boat owners over here will want to race, given their political predilections.  They're going to find crewing their boats fully very tough though.  Too many folks have kids/parents/spouses they live with that may be at risk from the COVID.  Maybe Bayview can rent out one of those empty hotels in Mack City for 14 days post-race as a fleet quarantine post.  

The latest from Bay View YC

April 27, 2020

Updated 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race Refund Policy and Entry Deadlines

Refund Policy

Entry fees will be refunded if it becomes impossible to legally conduct the race or the following resources are unavailable for the bulk of the fleet:

• Dockage in Port Huron on the night of 10 July 2020
  • Dockage on Mackinac Island after the finish
  • Access to Mackinac Island from Mackinaw City or St Ignace.

If the race can be run, and the race committee starts the race there will be no refund for those registrants that chose not to participate.

Entry Deadlines

Recognizing that most of the boats that typically participate in the Bayview Mackinac Race are prohibited from launching due to the Stay at Home Stay Safe order the following changes have been made to the registration deadlines.

Current Change to
BYC Member Account Payment Deadline 30 Apr 20 No Change
One Design Class Application Deadline 01 May 20 No Change
Entry Deadline 2 June 2020 @ 1700 DST 12 June 2020 @ 1700 DST
Late Entry Deadline ($100 additional Fee) 9 June 2020 @ 1700 DST 29 June 2020 @ 1700 DST
Last Minute Entry Deadline ($500 additional fee) N/A 6 July 2020 @ 1700 DST

Classes will be established after the Entry Deadline. Boats that enter after 12 June 2020 will be added to existing classes and will NOT cause the class splits to be adjusted

• Like 1