West Michigan Thread

Straight bullets, nice job. They seem to rate very well in ORR:)

They do just fine in LMPHRF too (they won Verve overall I believe 2-3 years ago under PHRF), but ORR does seem to score the J/35 more reasonably against it's more modern competition. Not bad for a nearly 30 year old design (and boat). Congrats to Bill and Crew of Aftershock! :D

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bump!    Boats are flying out of the water this week with dreams of a better year next year.   Muskegon YC finished racing on Oct 14.  For the summer, we started racing on May 20, (two weeks later tha

I want to clarify some things about the Docking situation: CYC Mac Committee has been working hard on this issued and we were able t arrange docking at Mac Harbor, Straits or St Ignace and pay fo

Posted Images

Straight bullets, nice job. They seem to rate very well in ORR:)

They do just fine in LMPHRF too (they won Verve overall I believe 2-3 years ago under PHRF), but ORR does seem to score the J/35 more reasonably against it's more modern competition. Not bad for a nearly 30 year old design (and boat). Congrats to Bill and Crew of Aftershock! :D

Apparently Aftershock won its class in the Mac too. Revised results are up. Some boats did better, some did not as well as originally thought. Check out the Mac Website for all the fun details.

Hroth

Quick reminder ... Saturday (tomorrow) is the GRSC Commodore's Invitational race. It Starts in Grand Haven and ends in Muskegon. Skipper's meeting @ 9:00AM @ GRSC, starts around noon (see SI's). MYC has organized a pursuit race to feed Muskegon boats down to Grand Haven. It's open to anyone and is no charge. The start time sheet is posted on the MYC site in the racing section. MYC is hosting the finish of the GRSC race this year, and will be providing the finish line and scoring.

It's a fun day!

Haz

Quick reminder ... Saturday (tomorrow) is the GRSC Commodore's Invitational race. It Starts in Grand Haven and ends in Muskegon. Skipper's meeting @ 9:00AM @ GRSC, starts around noon (see SI's). MYC has organized a pursuit race to feed Muskegon boats down to Grand Haven. It's open to anyone and is no charge. The start time sheet is posted on the MYC site in the racing section. MYC is hosting the finish of the GRSC race this year, and will be providing the finish line and scoring.

It's a fun day!

Haz

Good times! STD will be there.

Hroth

BT I have arranged a comfortable seat at the Tip-a-Few for you!! :)

Beautiful. Unfortunately no Peerless, it's an M24 this year.

Hopefully my hardware is all water proof!

If it's not- it will turn into software

MYC Governors Cup this weekend...should be a rollicking good time...in the rain

Hroth

open water forecast for the Gov cup.

THURSDAY...SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. WAVES 1 TO 2 FT.

> .THURSDAY NIGHT...SOUTH WINDS INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 KT. WAVES 1

> TO 3 FT BUILDING TO 3 TO 6 FT OVERNIGHT.

> .FRIDAY...SOUTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS

> AND THUNDERSTORMS. WAVES BUILDING TO 5 TO 8 FT.

> .FRIDAY NIGHT...WEST WINDS 10 TO 20 KT BECOMING NORTH. CHANCE OF

> SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. WAVES 3 TO 5 FT.

> .SATURDAY...NORTH WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND

> THUNDERSTORMS. WAVES 3 TO 5 FT.

> .SUNDAY...NORTH WINDS INCREASING TO 30 KT. SLIGHT CHANCE OF

> SHOWERS. WAVES BUILDING TO 6 TO 9 FT.

Latest Near Shore Forecast...

LMZ847-021515-

GRAND HAVEN TO WHITEHALL MI-

428 AM EDT FRI SEP 2 2011

.TODAY...SOUTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS VEERING WEST 5 TO 15 KNOTS

LATE IN THE DAY. PARTLY SUNNY. ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS

UNTIL MIDDAY...THEN SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN THE

AFTERNOON. WAVES 2 TO 4 FEET.

.TONIGHT...WEST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS VEERING NORTHWEST LATE AT

NIGHT...THEN VEERING NORTHEAST TOWARD DAYBREAK. PARTLY CLOUDY THEN

BECOMING MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. WAVES

AROUND 1 FOOT.

.SATURDAY...EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BACKING NORTH...THEN BACKING

WEST 10 TO 15 KNOTS LATE IN THE DAY. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS

LIKELY. WAVES AROUND 1 FOOT.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS VEERING NORTHWEST 10 TO

20 KNOTS TOWARD DAYBREAK. MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND

THUNDERSTORMS. WAVES 1 TO 2 FEET.

Hroth

Gotta love it! Am bringing Manitou down from Harbor Springs leaving early tomorrow morning and love getting the push from the N and Easterly winds for flat water. Have a great one everybody! tongue.gif

Faster ride if you wait till Monday!

Enough cell's today to make it interesting though....

Gotta love it! Am bringing Manitou down from Harbor Springs leaving early tomorrow morning and love getting the push from the N and Easterly winds for flat water. Have a great one everybody! tongue.gif

Thanks E! And congrads on Gov's Cup this weekend. We left yesterday and was doing OK until the wind switched to blow Southerly. Ended up putting in at Leland last night and there she will stay til next weekend due to the owner's other obligations that were going on this afternoon and tomorrow. Oh well...would have been a GREAT ride down today!

Thanks E! And congrads on Gov's Cup this weekend. We left yesterday and was doing OK until the wind switched to blow Southerly. Ended up putting in at Leland last night and there she will stay til next weekend due to the owner's other obligations that were going on this afternoon and tomorrow. Oh well...would have been a GREAT ride down today!

Leave the keys under the matt, I'll get her home!

Leave the keys under the matt, I'll get her home!

I know... cool.gif

Typical wind prediction for the Anchorage Cup, None.

LMZ846-091515-

HOLLAND TO GRAND HAVEN MI-

358 AM EDT FRI SEP 9 2011

.TODAY...NORTH WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS. MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF

SHOWERS. WAVES AROUND 1 FOOT.

.TONIGHT...EAST WINDS AROUND 5 KNOTS. PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF

SHOWERS. WAVES AROUND 1 FOOT.

.SATURDAY...EAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS BACKING NORTHWEST LATE IN THE

DAY. MOSTLY SUNNY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS VEERING EAST LATE AT

NIGHT...THEN VEERING SOUTH TOWARD DAYBREAK. PARTLY CLOUDY. WAVES

1 FOOT OR LESS.

Looks OK to me...

Hroth

Did anyone start/finish? Just curious and can't find any results. I was out trying to sail (drift, kill bugs and avoid fisherman mostly) in the fog and can't imagine anyone but the big boats got very far, if that.

TM

No one finished: No one even started. Pretty frustrating really. Anchorage seems to really have no issue admitting that it hosts the race as a preactivity to the party. Fog and little wind in GH. Half hour delay. Then the decision to move the starting line to Port Sheldon... closer to the party. Delay and a decision to wait until 2PM to start the race. Fog and little wind. Race abandon. Real frustrating. Beyond frustrating.

I am still not sure why the RC did not actually start a race. Trust me, I get it, it was foggy. Hard to see one end of the line from the other, but that can be solved in a few different ways. (A pin boat at mid line, shortening the line...)

Barb knows what she is doing, but that seemed to be a bit of the problem. She was trying to run a perfect race. We had plenty of wind at the top of our rig to race. In fact, so did many of our competitors. Often 4-6 knots. I simply think that Barb wanted to run a perfect (Canada's Cup) race, and kind of forgot it was a port to port PHRF race. Just start the race, the RC can always abandon it after it starts. I believe the RC would have been surprised that some of the boats would have been taken off pretty well had they held a start.

It was a long way to go for several of the crews to not even try to race.

OK, done with rant.

On the other hand, starting a race in that much fog with wind that was fickle at best, non-existent for the most part, would have had zero chance of finishing. We did see occasional wind at the mast-head, but down at 30' there was nothing. Fog just sat there when we stopped.

While I love to race in the cold water sticky conditions because my rig is up there it really makes no sense to have the shorter rigs, with zero wind speed, try to start.

My crew has universally condemned future Anchorage cups because the four weeks centered right about now SUCKS for sailing around here.

Next year, Red Fox and slow delivery home.

Not picking on Sam at all. I just remember all the radio traffic of people showing up at the broadcast start boat coordinates (when was the last time a start boat had to announce their lat/lon, btw?) and then having to get on the radio again to ask for a horn to find their way to check in. Dicey. It would have been like sailing IFR.

Not picking on Sam at all. I just remember all the radio traffic of people showing up at the broadcast start boat coordinates (when was the last time a start boat had to announce their lat/lon, btw?) and then having to get on the radio again to ask for a horn to find their way to check in. Dicey. It would have been like sailing IFR.

Yes, but that is because they gave out the wrong coordinates. As I stated, they could have shortened the line... But my real issue was it seemed as though their reason for not starting was not as much fog as it was wind. 40 feet up there was some wind. 55 feet up there was breeze. Certainly not a breeze to start a buoy race, but this is a port to port race. Fairness comes into play, but the wind aloft is no more unfair than trying to trim in a wind sheer. My biggest point is/was simply start the race. The RC can always pull the plug and abandon. As for a start in the fog, and the Marco Polo comment (pretty damn funny) I would not suspect any significant speeds in those conditions and considering I believe there was sufficient vission to all turn one way and go. It's not as though anyone was going to be trying to cross on port.

I am aware that hindsight is always 20/20... It was a shitty day to sail, race or be on the water offshore period. That is not the RC's fault.

"50 Free, you have lost your radio privileges"

Best quote of the day.

Hroth

"50 Free, you have lost your radio privileges"

Best quote of the day.

Hroth

Now THAT is funny!

Just to make sure I beat this horse to death, BOTY at the start on Saturday:

Man, those guys are fast... I can't even see 'em!

Nothin but smoke..... or was that from our firecrackers?

Firecrackers?? on a Boat??! what's next, bottle rockets?? :lol:

been there done that, inch and a half mortars next!

been there done that, inch and a half mortars next!

OK, but be sure to keep the the pyrotechnics offshore.

Remember Muskegon's finest at the MYC expired flare demonstration? :blink:

Anything exciting happen during the fall series at MYC? Pretty quiet board lately.

Looking forward to getting back on the water next week. I hate missing races but it hurt even more this time of year. See yall on Wed :lol:

Anything exciting happen during the fall series at MYC? Pretty quiet board lately.

Looking forward to getting back on the water next week. I hate missing races but it hurt even more this time of year. See yall on Wed :lol:

No Wind - No Race.

That sucked.

But a beautiful night for a booze cruise. Half a dozen boats headed out to the big lake. Good times.

(3/9) Latest Urgent Weather Msg. by KGRR

Valid through 9/30/2011 5:15 AM local time.

mason-oceana-muskegon-ottawa-allegan-van buren-

including the cities of...ludington...hart...muskegon...jenison...

holland...south haven

1001 pm edt thu sep 29 2011

...wind advisory remains in effect until 2 pm edt friday...

impacts...

* scattered power outages are possible overnight into friday due

to downed tree limbs and trees onto power lines.

* driving in the high winds overnight and friday will become

difficult particularly with higher profile vehicles.

hazardous weather...

* winds will gust to 50 to 55 mph across the advisory area

overnight through early friday afternoon.

* the highest winds are expected between 200 am and 900 am

along the lake michigan shoreline.

* locations from grand haven south down the coast are likely to

see the highest winds.

precautionary/preparedness actions...

* a wind advisory means that sustained winds of 30 to 39 mph or

gusts between 45 and 57 mph can be expected. winds this

strong can make driving difficult...especially for high

profile vehicles. use extra caution.

&&

Added a bunch of dock lines to the boat today. Looks like quite a blow. Anyone want to practice heavy weather sailing?

Bump.

Driftathon part deux tonight, get excited!

We're bummed we can't make it tonight for the season finale at MYC - but we're totally stoked and prepping big time for the US Sailing Junior Olympics this weekend down in Holland. 80's and sunny both days! Opti, Laser, Laser Radial, 420 jib&main, and 420 spinnaker fleets. Should be big fun!

Bump.

We're bummed we can't make it tonight for the season finale at MYC - but we're totally stoked and prepping big time for the US Sailing Junior Olympics this weekend down in Holland. 80's and sunny both days! Opti, Laser, Laser Radial, 420 jib&main, and 420 spinnaker fleets. Should be big fun!

Was a nice eve, a little light on the breeze end of things but the beer was cold and the sun was shining-all in all a pretty nice way to wrap up the season. Winter is long, just need to find a way to package nights like tonight.

I am in complete denial. It is 80 degrees out, the trees have a virus, I did not just sign my storage contract and schedule a haul date, the racing schedule is not over, I sure hope the Tigers make the playoffs, Lions will fail like always, It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend so I think I will go SAILING! :lol:

I am in complete denial. It is 80 degrees out, the trees have a virus, I did not just sign my storage contract and schedule a haul date, the racing schedule is not over, I sure hope the Tigers make the playoffs, Lions will fail like always, It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend so I think I will go SAILING! :lol:

+1!!!! tongue.gif

Just say when. I took Fawn out for a couple hours tonight, gorgeous out.

Bump.

Was a nice eve, a little light on the breeze end of things but the beer was cold and the sun was shining-all in all a pretty nice way to wrap up the season. Winter is long, just need to find a way to package nights like tonight.

We dominated the pontoon division.....it wasn't even close.

I'd just like to complement my crew on their efforts, it takes a team.

Just say when. I took Fawn out for a couple hours tonight, gorgeous out.

Going out to play about 1. Can't wait! :D

This was a spectacular weekand at the US Sailing Junior Olympics in Holland! No wind on Sunday was a bummer but two days of 80 degrees, sunny skies and one good day of racing was the headline for fleets in Optis, Laser Radials and 420s. Lotsa kids from Chicago to Detroit and all spots in between. We marked this event being the end of my kids' 7 year Opti career with a family fall color tour power boat run up the Lake MI shore to Port Sheldon and back. Can't wait for next summer and the move to Laser Radials and the 420!

Got out again yesterday though it was a bit chilly! post-15596-035933000 1318888172_thumb.jpg

Still looking fast and cleaning up pretty nice considering she qualifyies for antique plates! :D

Hoping the weather holds for one last sail next Sunday

Wow ... way down the second page!

The MYC Melges 24 fleet is holding their match racing event on Saturday, November 5th.

Three person teams, quick turnarounds, no chutes, no cost (unless you break something!).

Put a team together and come lookin' for glory!

Times to follow shortly.

Haz

Final delivery ride Sunday on a friends monster furniture hauler. Great breeze, sunny, and warm for October 22.

MYC snares a ski swap and Warren Miller weekend again for a the match racing event of the freakin universe. Like last year I hope they have a football field sized floating pavilion and so many water taxi's there is never a wait. You can't get closer to the action than this, the racers, support crew, and drink holders are within 1 or 2 boat lengths of the start. The PRO is so close you can hear every second of the countdown. This is match racing at it's best.

Wouldn't miss it.

May have to skip the MN game for this! Need to get Fetz to pull all the cans so we can set up, watch, and throw popcorn, from the outer docks! :lol: