West Michigan Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bump!    Boats are flying out of the water this week with dreams of a better year next year.   Muskegon YC finished racing on Oct 14.  For the summer, we started racing on May 20, (two weeks later tha

I want to clarify some things about the Docking situation: CYC Mac Committee has been working hard on this issued and we were able t arrange docking at Mac Harbor, Straits or St Ignace and pay fo

Posted Images

They will mail you the award.

They are not going to mail it. Believe it or not, they don't even bring the trophy to the awards dinner... There is a special gathering Saturday afternoon for pics with the cup before the dinner.

Is that what PODmajerski meant by "International Accolades"?

They will mail you the award.

They are not going to mail it. Believe it or not, they don't even bring the trophy to the awards dinner... There is a special gathering Saturday afternoon for pics with the cup before the dinner.

But you do get your plaques at the awards dinner, along with the medals for the crew.

Saturday is shaping up to be Chamber of Commerce day for the MYC match racing event .... sunny, 50+ by early afternoon, and 12-14 knots of breeze!

The number of teams is limited to twelve. There are currently six teams officially entered. If you're planning on it it'd be a great idea to reserve a spot.

The whole enchilada is detailed here.

Even if you're not hoping to sail, plan on coming out for the spectacle. It's as close up as it can get.

There's a soup cookoff going on that day, so warm food cheap, TVs on games, and a short walk to the 'racing stadium' ... nothing better!

Haz

Saturday is shaping up to be Chamber of Commerce day for the MYC match racing event .... sunny, 50+ by early afternoon, and 12-14 knots of breeze!

The number of teams is limited to twelve. There are currently six teams officially entered. If you're planning on it it'd be a great idea to reserve a spot.

The whole enchilada is detailed here.

Even if you're not hoping to sail, plan on coming out for the spectacle. It's as close up as it can get.

There's a soup cookoff going on that day, so warm food cheap, TVs on games, and a short walk to the 'racing stadium' ... nothing better!

Haz

Bad Dog may have enough for two boats if there is room. Otherwise we're taking turns.

Team Willie J will be there for schooling on M24 handling. Last year we got hammered, this year we hope to be less of a nail.

Third place is none to shabby .... congrats!

Jay Wallace, with crack crew Sparky and John, won the event.

After the boats were pulled and put to bed, alcohol fueled the 60+ foot pumpkin drop:

gallery_5516_202_1289.jpg

Loudest !!SPLAT!! I've ever heard when the 75 pounder hit the concrete.

Thanks to all the owners, the RC, and everyone who showed up to sail or just to holler advice.

Haz

Had a great time that the M-24 event. Thanks to the 4 boat owners(LP, KG, SM and RP) who generously allowed use of their boats and to the RC/Organizers, JS, PB, BT, JMMc, etc-thanks!

Was also nice to see a lot of SAers in attendance, from the helm, hroth, fyschbone, chasing trim, etc. Chamber of Commerce weather today for sure.

Had a great time that the M-24 event. Thanks to the 4 boat owners(LP, KG, SM and RP) who generously allowed use of their boats and to the RC/Organizers, JS, PB, BT, JMMc, etc-thanks!

Was also nice to see a lot of SAers in attendance, from the helm, hroth, fyschbone, chasing trim, etc. Chamber of Commerce weather today for sure.

+1

Great Day! Lots of fun. I should heal up just in time for next year. Damn little boats!! :D

Big thank you to everyone who put this together, especially the boat owners. Team majic had a great time. Humbling, but fun.

On a much more frustrating note, I seem to have lost a jib for my melges 17. I came to the club with 7 sails, and came home with 6. It is an a blue north bag. If anyone has seen it, please let me know. I'll owe you big.

Sayonara was on a truck tonight (3 actually), and appeared ready to hit the road. I think she has been in the shed at Eldeans for almost 10 years.

I saw recent pics that showed every piece of deck hardware had been removed. A sad thing to see for a fast boat. Lots of people wanted to play with her but Larry never shared.

Sayonara was on a truck tonight (3 actually), and appeared ready to hit the road. I think she has been in the shed at Eldeans for almost 10 years.

Wonder if she is headed west? For more storage or usage? Will be interesting to see what the next phase is for her.

I saw recent pics that showed every piece of deck hardware had been removed. A sad thing to see for a fast boat. Lots of people wanted to play with her but Larry never shared.

The winches were removed prior to the 2010 Cup race. In case the legal battle regarding USA made parts went through, all the winches on Sayonara were American made. They could then put them on the Tri to make it race legal.

We played against her several times back in the day of Earth Voyager and Stars and Stripes. Great times!

Anybody else doing the VOR game? The search function doesn't work very well yet to find other boats.

Peerless I had a rough go of it in the Med but is starting to get rolling.

Eggcrate, I did not pay for the goodies..yet.

Anybody else doing the VOR game? The search function doesn't work very well yet to find other boats.

Peerless I had a rough go of it in the Med but is starting to get rolling.

Bad Dog I & II (I ran aground during the pre race :D , Learning to use it so hope to catch up. Started II just for kicks a few days back, Can't get her out of the MED yet though. Productivity is gone into the shitter though :lol: 9 months of this!

• 2 weeks later...

Bump! Page 4, really?

Hope eveyone had a happy Thanksgiving.

Go Rice, Brother Rice HS(my HS alma mater) wins Div II football title... for the seventh time.Congrats to coach Fracassa and the boys! :D

Bump! Page 4, really?

Hope eveyone had a happy Thanksgiving.

Go Rice, Brother Rice HS(my HS alma mater) wins Div II football title... for the seventh time.Congrats to coach Fracassa and the boys! :D

Congrads!

NO but BIG lessoned learned. DON"T GO UP WIND, DON"T EVER GO UP WIND, Sail an extra thousand miles but don't ever sail up wind. These boats got double and triple the speed downwind as up so don't ever sail up wind. :angry:

NO but BIG lessoned learned. DON"T GO UP WIND, DON"T EVER GO UP WIND, Sail an extra thousand miles but don't ever sail up wind. These boats got double and triple the speed downwind as up so don't ever sail up wind. :angry:

Upwind at only 11+ knots is a high-class problem, innit? :)

Upwind at only 11+ knots is a high-class problem, innit? :)

Upwind at 15 knots is a high class problem when these boats will to 26 knots in 18nts of air off the wind

Didn't make the slip meeting at MYC as I was on my way to Indy for the Big Ten Championship game. Anything interesting happen? Any new boats? Any news on the Harbor Town vote? Anyone awake out there? :)

Didn't make the slip meeting at MYC as I was on my way to Indy for the Big Ten Championship game. Anything interesting happen? Any new boats? Any news on the Harbor Town vote? Anyone awake out there? :)

Nothing major to report. We will have fewer empty slips than a year ago.

Nothing major to report. We will have fewer empty slips than a year ago.

Hey, That is good news!

New MAC Safety requirements (See Below)

How about we do a Safety at Sea Seminar in teh Octagon Building at MYC this spring.

Fellow Mac sailors,

Happy Holidays!

I wanted to send this letter out to the entire 2011 Race to Mackinac fleet to provide you with a glimpse of some of the work that the Race to Mackinac organizing committee has been addressing in the 45 days since the report was released by US Sailing. It is always our goal to run a safe race for all. It is the committee’s goal to look at the US Sailing report concerning the events of last summer with an eye towards identifying those recommendations which we can implement to make the race even safer.

We have sought the advice of industry experts in safety and naval architecture, and have worked with the offshore office of US Sailing. In doing so, the committee is making some modifications in the key areas of personal and boat safety equipment, continuing sailor education, inspections of vessels and minimum boat stability. We hope that this letter will provide you ample time to begin your planning in these areas and, if need be, make requests for boat equipment as stocking stuffers this holiday season.

The Notice of Race (NOR) and Mac Safety Regulations (MSR) will detail the changes, and we urge you to read them carefully when issued. Of course, those documents, rather than this summary, shall govern the 104th Race to Mackinac.

In summary, the changes we anticipate making for next year’s race fall into three key areas: (a) Personal and boat safety equipment; (B) Continuing sailor education; and © Vessel inspections and minimum boat stability.

Personal and Boat Safety Equipment:

• GPIRB or Personal Locator Beacons (PLB) registered to each boat will be required.

• PLB devices will be recommended for individual crew members.

• Life rafts will be strongly recommended.

• Man-over-board poles will need to be attached in a way that allows for quick release, or a self-contained unit that is readily deployable may be used.

• Quick-release tethers will be required

• A Personal safety knife is to be carried by all crew. The knife needs to be readily accessible.

Continuing Sailor Education:

• Safety-at-Sea: It is the committee’s recommendation that 30% of the crew on each boat should have completed the Safety-at-Sea course in the past five years. A link to the courses we know of will be posted on our Web site. We have two classes scheduled in the upcoming months for Chicago and will be communicating additional locations throughout the Great Lakes area. We anticipate these classes will fill up quickly, so we recommend that you sign up soon.

• Weather training: To help further our fleets understanding of weather terminology, Chicago Yacht Club will be hosting a series of weather seminars that deal with basic meteorology terms and concepts and a more advanced course for those requiring additional training. We urge all sailors to take appropriate classes to learn more about the weather and weather forecasting resources. Links will be posted on our Web site.

Vessel Inspections and Minimum Boat Stability:

• The committee has determined that we will be engaging in a more robust boat inspection process. The specifics of that process will be communicated to the fleet in the months to come and will be laid out in the official Notice of Race (NOR).

• We are in the final determinations of using a minimum stability index (MSI) appropriate to the rating rule for the race (ORR); we will be communicating this MSI in the release of the NOR.

In the upcoming thirty days you can expect the release of invitations to returning competitors, NOR and opening of the request for invitation (RFI) process.

We appreciate the patience of the fleet during this process and your supportive comments and recommendations. We look forward to seeing many of you back on the docks for the 104th this coming July. On behalf of the entire Mac Committee, we wish you each a joyous holiday season and a safe and Happy New Year.

Best Regards,

Lou Sandoval

Chairman

104th Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac Presented by Veuve Clicquot

You subscribed to receive Race updates...

You can unsubscribe at anytime by visiting the race web site at www.cycracetomackinac.com.

So who has been bitching about the Port Huron to Mac requiring life rafts? Not to mention that Chi MAc has been considered more of a free wheeling event and now is considering becoming the more restrictive of the two. While I appreciate the concern for safety, this comes across as a knee jerk reaction to a tragic event that happened in a sport that can be dangerous. Some of these suggestions and requirements have already been in place for the BYC race and many have been critical of the club for having these requirements in place. Too bad a knee jerk was needed to come up with some of these ideas!

I don't see any real changes in the MSR for the Mac. Raft is still not required, knives have been on recomended list all along, nothing says you have to go to Safety Seminar, says it will be a should not a shall.

I've got to think that 90% of boats will have to make no changes to meet these new requirements list. Sure some tethers will be scrapped, maybe some boats have not invested in a GPIRB, but overall I don't see anything that will effect most boats.

Hopefully there will be far more inspections prior to race day, they should allow each boat to ask for an inspection prior to the race so we can get on with the race prep and weather forecast studies.

How about having a set of docks at CYC that you can pull up to prior to the race on Wed-Friday to get inspected and then sign a form that says you'll stay in race condition? Violate the terms and your flicked from the race.

I don't see any real changes in the MSR for the Mac. Raft is still not required, knives have been on recomended list all along, nothing says you have to go to Safety Seminar, says it will be a should not a shall.

I've got to think that 90% of boats will have to make no changes to meet these new requirements list. Sure some tethers will be scrapped, maybe some boats have not invested in a GPIRB, but overall I don't see anything that will effect most boats.

Hopefully there will be far more inspections prior to race day, they should allow each boat to ask for an inspection prior to the race so we can get on with the race prep and weather forecast studies.

How about having a set of docks at CYC that you can pull up to prior to the race on Wed-Friday to get inspected and then sign a form that says you'll stay in race condition? Violate the terms and your flicked from the race.

The voluntary pre race inspections were offered in 2011 and as one of the 10 who requested it (per the report posted) I can tell you they were very prompt and courteous in conducting it. No issues on our end safetywise but I can say it did take a solid year and a half of prep to make sure we were fully complaint with the posted MSR's.

I think you make a lot of good points about the changes though, unless I am reading them incorrectly it doesn't look like the RC is asking for anything out of the ordinary or huge changes.

The voluntary pre race inspections were offered in 2011 and as one of the 10 who requested it (per the report posted) I can tell you they were very prompt and courteous in conducting it. No issues on our end safetywise but I can say it did take a solid year and a half of prep to make sure we were fully complaint with the posted MSR's.

I think you make a lot of good points about the changes though, unless I am reading them incorrectly it doesn't look like the RC is asking for anything out of the ordinary or huge changes.

+1!

Safety at Sea scheduled at Strictly Sail but it will fill up fast $175

www.strictlysail.com

They've also scheduled one for Chicago on Saturday April 14.

Bayview has put one on the last couple years. Anyone heard if they will be offering again this year?

I would love to see one scheduled here in West Michigan.

May be too late to get off the ground for this year (speaker availability, etc.), but maybe we need to start talking now for early 2013.

Safety at Sea scheduled at Strictly Sail but it will fill up fast $175

www.strictlysail.com

They've also scheduled one for Chicago on Saturday April 14.

Bayview has put one on the last couple years. Anyone heard if they will be offering again this year?

I would love to see one scheduled here in West Michigan.

May be too late to get off the ground for this year (speaker availability, etc.), but maybe we need to start talking now for early 2013.

North Cape YC over here on Lake Erie puts one on every 3rd or 4th year as a fundraiser for it's Junior Sailing School and Program. The very same one Anna Tunnicliffe started in, and helps out with when she is around visiting her parents. Something maybe MYC would want to do as well, or at least think about. I end up volunteering for the one over here. Just a thought...

Well this came together really fast but:

Muskgon Yacht Club will be hosting a US Sailing sanctioned Safety At Sea Seminar on April 21st 2012 at the Muskegon Country Club, Moderator will be Mr. Bruce Brown, Past President of US Marine Association, 100 Ton Instructor, Transpac Skipper, etc. One of only 4 sanctioned moderators in the country. Attendees will recieve Official US Sailing Certificate of Completion etc. and all the stuff that goes with it. Other speakers to be announced. Cost will be the same as CYC is charging, $175, MYC members will be $155, Students (16-22) will be $125, $5 Discount if you are a US Sailing member. This will include lunch and all materials. We are going to the CC so that we can accomadate a larger audience as it has not been given in W. Michigan in awhile.

That is about all there is at the moment as this just got organized today (literaly). Hope to have registration details and promotional material available soon.

I am really pleased we were able to pull this off so quickly, Spread the word! :D

P.S. I will need some help promoting and running this event if you are interested in participating please PM me.

Muskgon Yacht Club will be hosting a US Sailing sanctioned Safety At Sea Seminar on April 21st 2012 at the Muskegon Country Club, Moderator will be Mr. Bruce Brown, Past President of US Marine Association, 100 Ton Instructor, Transpac Skipper, etc. One of only 4 sanctioned moderators in the country. Attendees will recieve Official US Sailing Certificate of Completion etc. and all the stuff that goes with it. Other speakers to be announced. Cost will be the same as CYC is charging, $175, MYC members will be $155, Students (16-22) will be $125, $5 Discount if you are a US Sailing member. This will include lunch and all materials. We are going to the CC so that we can accomadate a larger audience as it has not been given in W. Michigan in awhile.

That is about all there is at the moment as this just got organized today (literaly). Hope to have registration details and promotional material available soon.

I am really pleased we were able to pull this off so quickly, Spread the word! :D

P.S. I will need some help promoting and running this event if you are interested in participating please PM me.

All Proceeds are being split between MYC Race Committee and the MYC Juniors program :)

All Proceeds are being split between MYC Race Committee and the MYC Juniors program :)

On behalf of the MYC Junior Advisory Committee, THANK YOU!!!!

I'm in for the class. Can we shoot flares, inflate a life raft, and sling load a Helo? That would rock.

Muskegon has a Country Club?

Still working out the details and Coastie involvement but we are looking into all of the above, and yes Muskegon has a very nice CC overlooking the lake right up the street from MYC!

Agreed. We did a pre-race before the 2010 race and found it useful and hassel free...

Hroth

I'm in for the class. Can we shoot flares, inflate a life raft, and sling load a Helo? That would rock.

Muskegon has a Country Club?

Still working out the details and Coastie involvement but we are looking into all of the above, and yes Muskegon has a very nice CC overlooking the lake right up the street from MYC!

Great News! I'm in, too.

Thanks for pulling this together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there will be a feeder for the queens this year? Is the Tripp memorial on, and if so, from where?

That is very much up in the air at this point from what I understand. A lot of talk about skipping Queen Cup altogether this year. I am. Going to go watch the AC45 finals in Newport instead. :D

Since the Queen's is headed to South Haven, the Tripp will depart from South Haven on the normal Wednesday night schedule. There should be more boats from Holland, South Haven, St. Joe that make the race this year.

There will be dock deals, parking, and pre order meals from SHYC.

The Tripp Memorial has always been a feeder race, and logistically well coordinated for the QC to make land transportation simple.

I am glad to have the cars and delivery stuff at SHYC instead of Grand Haven or MYC.

SHYC has some great post QC party plans as well, food, bands, the whole Muni is reserved for racers for the weekend too.

If you have not been to SHYC or South Haven, it's pretty unique, the Muni and the club are right in town, there are decent restaurants and bars within a block of the docks.

Since the Queen's is headed to South Haven, the Tripp will depart from South Haven on the normal Wednesday night schedule. There should be more boats from Holland, South Haven, St. Joe that make the race this year.

There will be dock deals, parking, and pre order meals from SHYC.

The Tripp Memorial has always been a feeder race, and logistically well coordinated for the QC to make land transportation simple.

I am glad to have the cars and delivery stuff at SHYC instead of Grand Haven or MYC.

SHYC has some great post QC party plans as well, food, bands, the whole Muni is reserved for racers for the weekend too.

If you have not been to SHYC or South Haven, it's pretty unique, the Muni and the club are right in town, there are decent restaurants and bars within a block of the docks.

The 2013 Q Cup finishes in Ludington - mixing it up a bit.

Ludington, Sweet! We can strafe the fisherbillies in the wee hours with the tri-color on. Sailed in there last year when my start switch was acting up (wait that is still FUBAR shit add to list) and the fisherman were impressed. Many saluted us with the finger one to the left of the nose picker and one to the right of the butt crack scratcher. Ludington has that great tree stump filled anchorage too, can't wait.

Ludington, Sweet! We can strafe the fisherbillies in the wee hours with the tri-color on. Sailed in there last year when my start switch was acting up (wait that is still FUBAR shit add to list) and the fisherman were impressed. Many saluted us with the finger one to the left of the nose picker and one to the right of the butt crack scratcher. Ludington has that great tree stump filled anchorage too, can't wait.

Fisherbillies.......I thought they were Bassholes.

Learn something new every day.

Thanks

During the Singlehanded Super Mac in 2005, you should have heard the discussion they were having about sailboats and right of way on their VHFs. It was difficult discerning if I was listening to marine radio or CB on the highway. And yeah...they think they own the lake and the region they are fishing in without regard to mariner rules of the road. mad.gif

One drunken fisherbilly once told our crew "The lakes made for fishing you fucking pleasureboater!" Seems a J125 and J130 sneaking through their beer swilling randomized directionless piscatorian adventure was offensive to his PBR clouded evening.

"beer swilling randomized directionless piscatorian adventure was offensive to his PBR clouded evening."

Funny, am still laughing-are you doing stand up post queens or tripp?

post-15596-097065700 1327082796_thumb.jpg

US Sailing sanctioned SAFETY at SEA seminar hosted by the Muskegon Yacht Club to be held April 21, 2012 at the Muskegon Country Club.

Registration is now open with forms and information available at www.mycregistration.com or just click here Safety@sea

Pre registration is required and seating is limited so please get your registrations in ASAP!!

pm me with questions

One drunken fisherbilly once told our crew "The lakes made for fishing you fucking pleasureboater!" Seems a J125 and J130 sneaking through their beer swilling randomized directionless piscatorian adventure was offensive to his PBR clouded evening.

At least the drunken fishbillies don't have guns. Duck hunters, different story.