West Michigan Thread

Race date question - which is correct, The verve Offshore on Aug 10-12 or 17-19 ?

below was just copied from the Verve Cup web site

The 2012 Verve Cup Regatta dates are: August 10-12, 2012 (offshore) and August 25-26, 2012 (inshore). We look forward to seeing everyone!

See More.Blog post by Cheryl Waity Jan 12

below was just copied from Muskegon Yacht Clubs new 2012 racing schedule

8-12 Aug-12 Thur-Sun See NOR WMYA Championships @ MYC

10 Aug-12 Friday See NOR Clipper Cup (Muskegon to P. Washington, WI)

17-19 Aug-12 Fri/Sat/Sun NOR Chicago Verve

I am going with the CYC Verve cup information as correct

FOr all people from MYC the Verve will be the 17-19. All others are welcome at regularly scheduled date.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bump!    Boats are flying out of the water this week with dreams of a better year next year.   Muskegon YC finished racing on Oct 14.  For the summer, we started racing on May 20, (two weeks later tha

I want to clarify some things about the Docking situation: CYC Mac Committee has been working hard on this issued and we were able t arrange docking at Mac Harbor, Straits or St Ignace and pay fo

Posted Images

US Sailing Safety at Sea Seminar sponsored by the Muskegon Yacht Club April 21, 2012

Information and registration for available here www.mycregistration.com. Still plenty of room but I do expect the event to sell out so please register soon if you are planning on attending! Attendees will receive the US Sailing SAS certificate that is good for 5 years. Speakers list is shaping up nicely and this should be a lot of fun. SA party at MYC after completion?!

Thanks! :D

Race date question - which is correct, The verve Offshore on Aug 10-12 or 17-19 ?

below was just copied from the Verve Cup web site

The 2012 Verve Cup Regatta dates are: August 10-12, 2012 (offshore) and August 25-26, 2012 (inshore). We look forward to seeing everyone!

See More.Blog post by Cheryl Waity Jan 12

below was just copied from Muskegon Yacht Clubs new 2012 racing schedule

8-12 Aug-12 Thur-Sun See NOR WMYA Championships @ MYC

10 Aug-12 Friday See NOR Clipper Cup (Muskegon to P. Washington, WI)

17-19 Aug-12 Fri/Sat/Sun NOR Chicago Verve

I am going with the CYC Verve cup information as correct

FOr all people from MYC the Verve will be the 17-19. All others are welcome at regularly scheduled date.

Corrected it today ... thanks!

Anybody know what's on the agenda for Wednesday's race night seminar at MYC?

I'm supposed to talk again. Any agenda ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking maybe "Beer bottles are dangerous on boats, fact or fiction?" followed up by a documentary I've been working on called "Bangin' corners makes me happy" based on the life of Scotty.

Or maybe we'll discuss why bow guys are all prima donna's, or why Schumacher never comes out of the closet, or what free agent needs the Lions have.

Anyone?

I was thinking maybe "Beer bottles are dangerous on boats, fact or fiction?" followed up by a documentary I've been working on called "Bangin' corners makes me happy" based on the life of Scotty.

Or maybe we'll discuss why bow guys are all prima donna's, or why Schumacher never comes out of the closet, or what free agent needs the Lions have.

Anyone?

Now that's the BT I've been missing for all these months. Welcome back!

Anyone?

Whatever you do, make it quick...the real benefit of these evenings is time at the bar...

Hroth

Anyone?

I did not know that Corners was a girls name.

This damned weather sucks! If it's Feb it should be snowing like crazy with slick roads to provide winter entertainment. Too cold to get a boat wet, too soon to start bottom prep, what the fuck!

I would like to see some god damn cold so we can appreciate those days in May. One freaking snowy drive does not a winter make.

Fetzer, talk about how to use a beer bottle to measure boat speed when your speedo fails.

How to use a beer bottle to measure the distance to shore?

How to use a beer bottle to measure the speed of an approaching storm?

How to use a beer bottle to measure height of mast?

Why a beer bottle can be a torch in a man cave but not a candle holder in the single mans condo?

This damned weather sucks! If it's Feb it should be snowing like crazy with slick roads to provide winter entertainment. Too cold to get a boat wet, too soon to start bottom prep, what the fuck!

I would like to see some god damn cold so we can appreciate those days in May. One freaking snowy drive does not a winter make.

Fetzer, talk about how to use a beer bottle to measure boat speed when your speedo fails.

Fetzer (or any dude) in a speedo is not a good topic, especially if it suffers a wardrobe malfunction.

You just made me throw up in my mouth a little.

I do wear tighties....but they are always covered by another appropriate layer.

Markie wears a speedo and he has to wax his bikini line....sounds painful.

Thanks for the bad visual.

I'm sorry but it beats thinking of Scotty in a G-string.......I hope.

Now that gets a HUGE +1!

There is not enough mental bleach in the world to eradicate that image.

Sorry, FTH. Winter, as much as this winter has actually been. "How fast are we going?." "Six nuts..I mean knots, damn it".

How many Muskegon boats are going to deliver all the way down to S. Haven to do the Tripp Cup? I realize that it is an Area 4 race so some boats may.

A few people I've been talking to are going to head straight over from Muskegon. Is there any interest in doing a race? Maybe a backwards handicap start so everyone finishes at the same time? We could start earlier than usual? Later than usual? Same time?

I'm sure we could find some sponsors to kick down for some prizes at the finish line.

How many Muskegon boats are going to deliver all the way down to S. Haven to do the Tripp Cup? I realize that it is an Area 4 race so some boats may.

A few people I've been talking to are going to head straight over from Muskegon. Is there any interest in doing a race? Maybe a backwards handicap start so everyone finishes at the same time? We could start earlier than usual? Later than usual? Same time?

I'm sure we could find some sponsors to kick down for some prizes at the finish line.

As of now, Windancer is not planning on delivering to South Haven. We would be very interested in a race. A backwards handicap race sounds cool. Same start time as far as I am concerned, but that does bring into consideration of what boats sign up. I would even be up for starting on Thursday morning, early.

As of now, Windancer is not planning on delivering to South Haven. We would be very interested in a race. A backwards handicap race sounds cool. Same start time as far as I am concerned, but that does bring into consideration of what boats sign up. I would even be up for starting on Thursday morning, early.

If you could convince Jim to sail 'Key to Happiness' and he started at the 'normal' Tripp start time, you'd get your wish to start sometime Thursday morning!

We are not planning on doing either race this year...too much delivery time.

Hroth

Bad Dog is out period and would not be doing Tripp from South Haven under any circumstances. If we were doing Queens would motor over direct or would participate in an alternative. Going to South Haven turns a three day regatta in to a 5 day regatta.

Is there any interest in a bouy race on Muskegon Lake or even Lake Mi. for the Sat of Queens weekend ? Aftershock does not do the queens typically, and I was wondering if there would be enough boats / interest to make a bouy race worth the time to setup ???

Years ago we used to do a day of racing that was a bunch of short races so we could have more starts. Just a thought...

Is there any interest in a bouy race on Muskegon Lake or even Lake Mi. for the Sat of Queens weekend ? Aftershock does not do the queens typically, and I was wondering if there would be enough boats / interest to make a bouy race worth the time to setup ???

Years ago we used to do a day of racing that was a bunch of short races so we could have more starts. Just a thought...

June 30/July 1 at MYC is the District 19 Laser Championship w/Peter doing RC duty. Certainly doesn't stop another race happening, but something to be aware of!

(NOR here)

Haz

I am going to watch the AC 40 finals in Newport but the crew will be around and they may want to race BD without me.

I am going to watch the AC 40 finals in Newport but the crew will be around and they may want to race BD without me.

Nice!

Perhaps Nedeau Cup roughly around same time and maybe we could get 5 of the local J-35's participating? I see you guys did it last year-could be interesting......

Also 3 of last years 4 local 35's are currently signed up for the mac, will you be joining us this year, always nice to have good competitors for the race, heard rumblings that a 5th local boat may even join the fun.

Perhaps Nedeau Cup roughly around same time and maybe we could get 5 of the local J-35's participating? I see you guys did it last year-could be interesting......

Also 3 of last years 4 local 35's are currently signed up for the mac, will you be joining us this year, always nice to have good competitors for the race, heard rumblings that a 5th local boat may even join the fun.

That is true! we actually have 6 J/35's in Muskegon and one in Holland, We are hoping for a Mac start this year and who knows what else. :D

Anyone needing crew for the Mac? I'd be happy to provide a sailing resume.

That is true! we actually have 6 J/35's in Muskegon and one in Holland, We are hoping for a Mac start this year and who knows what else. :D

I can not answer if Aftershock is doing the Mac, I personally do not like distance racing so i have not done it in 25 years. I believe the plan is for Aftershock to race the Mac, but again I am guessing.

Today it hit 70 on my drive back from IL. Suddenly I remembered I have a boat. The ToDo list is no shorter today than it was in November, just like every year.

Just once I want to try painting the bottom and fixing the broken shit right when I pull the boat out, then when spring comes it would just be cocktails and sailing.

Yeah, this false spring weather really gives me the itch. Anybody got a trailer-able boat we can splash on short notice?

And how are signups coming for Safety At Sea on April 21? Really looking forward to that.

Yeah, this false spring weather really gives me the itch. Anybody got a trailer-able boat we can splash on short notice?

And how are signups coming for Safety At Sea on April 21? Really looking forward to that.

I was geared up to skip work today and splash my Melges 17, but BT pointed out there are gale warnings in Muskegon. Local weather is calling for 25+ knots. Too much for the 17 in cold water.

Today it hit 70 on my drive back from IL. Suddenly I remembered I have a boat. The ToDo list is no shorter today than it was in November, just like every year.

Just once I want to try painting the bottom and fixing the broken shit right when I pull the boat out, then when spring comes it would just be cocktails and sailing.

I hear ya! The Great One over on this side would always chastise people for not thinking ahead and taking care of most stuff, like at least prepping the bottom, in the fall so the list is easier to check off in the spring.

Its supposed to be 66 degrees on Saturday with sun...wonder how many of us will be out there working on our boats? Should be a fun way to spend Sat Patty's day! MYC will be hopping I'm sure.

Hroth

1331672325[/url]' post='3624508']
1331671950[/url]' post='3624501']

Anybody got a boat in the water? Why not?

Not yet...but if this keeps up, I maybe will be donning my wetsuit and doing my first open water swim of the season blink.gif

i sailed and flipped my Melges 17 on Sunday in Reed's Lake. Good times.

March 24th is the silent auction fundraiser for the MYC junior sailing program. Plenty of tickets still available ... $27 at the MYC bar (you know you'll be there).

It's a great time for a good cause.

Do canoes count? I got to paddle ever month of the year this year. Soon, we wont even need to pull our boats anymore if this keeps up.

It takes a smart canoe to count very high ... and it's not like a horse, where you can hear the hoof stomp. It's subtle, hidden in the rustle of the bow wake.

Just to dig us out from the Occupy shit storm, BUMP! and Don't forget to sign up for the US Sailing Safety at Sea Seminar hosted by the Muskegon Yacht Club at the Muskegon Country Club on April 21

We have approximately 70 signed up at this point so we still have plenty of room but phone calls have been increasing.

Link to more information and registration form are HERE

Going to be a great day, Don't miss it! :D

Muskegon YC's last Wednesday night "chowder" seminar this week (the 28th) promises to give us a look inside the protest room. Always better learning from someone else's misfortune.

Just got an email that the Holland Area Sailing council that their Wednesday night seminars start next week:

Join us this spring for three Wednesday night racing workshops!

* The programs are all free

* Bring your crew and sailing friends; everyone is welcome

Hosted by Macatawa Bay Yacht Club. The club will be open at 5:30p.m. for drinks and select menu items from the grill.

Schedule:

5:30 p.m. Club, bar, and grill open

6:45 p.m.-8:30 Program

8:30-9:00 Bar open

Dates and Programs:

Wed, April 4: Upwind trim, tactics, strategy, and rules; content courtesy of North U.

Wed. April 11: Downwind trim, tactics, strategy, and rules; content courtesy of North U.

Wed, April 18: Crewing and misc topics

Finally, gotta put in a plug for Safety at Sea on Saturday April 21st!

Muskegon YC's last Wednesday night "chowder" seminar this week (the 28th) promises to give us a look inside the protest room. Always better learning from someone else's misfortune.

Just got an email that the Holland Area Sailing council that their Wednesday night seminars start next week:

Join us this spring for three Wednesday night racing workshops!

* The programs are all free

* Bring your crew and sailing friends; everyone is welcome

Hosted by Macatawa Bay Yacht Club. The club will be open at 5:30p.m. for drinks and select menu items from the grill.

Schedule:

5:30 p.m. Club, bar, and grill open

6:45 p.m.-8:30 Program

8:30-9:00 Bar open

Dates and Programs:

Wed, April 4: Upwind trim, tactics, strategy, and rules; content courtesy of North U.

Wed. April 11: Downwind trim, tactics, strategy, and rules; content courtesy of North U.

Wed, April 18: Crewing and misc topics

Finally, gotta put in a plug for Safety at Sea on Saturday April 21st!

Thanks for the plug! Link to registration HERE

Looks like you guys have your 8 boats, any word on whether you all will have your own Mac start?

Looks like you guys have your 8 boats, any word on whether you all will have your own Mac start?

We will have our own division! Whether they give us a solo start or combine us with another class is TBD! We will likely add the 3 Shock 35's to the class as well and perhaps the solo Thomas 35, as a Level 35 division.

post-15596-057705400 1333574077_thumb.jpg

Last Chance! Registration Closing April 18th!

Muskegon Yacht Club is hosting the US Sailing Sanctioned "Safety at Sea" seminar on April 21st at the Muskegon Country Club. Additional information and registration information available HERE.

This is not just a racing seminar it is a safety seminar and over 70% of attendees nationally are cruisers! If you are a boater of any type and ever venture out of the slip and into open water, you will find this seminar valuable. US Sailing "Safety at Sea" certfication will be issued to all who complete the course.

REGISTER TODAY!

....bump....

and nice artical on SAS seminar on mlive today Linkey

annnnnnddddd I need a mac ride this year so PM me if you have a spot. With a name like triple zeros, what could go wrong?

Wow, Printed my press release almost word for word! Cool!

Here's how I remember finish order, and I may be way off. We were busy sorting through some first time out issues. a Melges a Melges a Sydneya J another Melges?a yellow boat

Possibly a little more helpful than the last two posts, but likely less accurate.

Here's an extremely painful update on the San Francisco Farallons race:

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2012-04-16#.T4yIqdVAJ84

I suspect that many of us who were out on the dark and evil night that took Mark and Suzanne from Winguts in the Chicago Mac may be having some flashbacks as we read and reflect on the loss of 5 sailors in the Farallons race out of San Francisco this weekend (I know I am). My thoughts and prayers go out to the families, friends - and especially to the survivors. I can't begin to understand their burden.....

We all learned a very painful lesson in last year's Chicago Mac race. We really rely:

First and foremost on the people on our own crew

Second on the sailors on the boats around us

Third (and last resort) on the Coast Guard

At the risk of being perceived as trying to capitalize on a tragedy, I'm going to say this: If you haven't already registered for Safety at Sea in Muskegon this week Saturday, April 21st, Please do so now. I'm counting on you to save my sorry butt. Larry has done an outstanding job bringing this class to our doorstep. We owe it to ourselves - and to each other - to be there and build our skills.

http://www.mycregistration.com/

Online registration is open through Wednesday the 18th.

Here's an extremely painful update on the San Francisco Farallons race:

http://www.latitude3...16#.T4yIqdVAJ84

I suspect that many of us who were out on the dark and evil night that took Mark and Suzanne from Winguts in the Chicago Mac may be having some flashbacks as we read and reflect on the loss of 5 sailors in the Farallons race out of San Francisco this weekend (I know I am). My thoughts and prayers go out to the families, friends - and especially to the survivors. I can't begin to understand their burden.....

We all learned a very painful lesson in last year's Chicago Mac race. We really rely:

First and foremost on the people on our own crew

Second on the sailors on the boats around us

Third (and last resort) on the Coast Guard

At the risk of being perceived as trying to capitalize on a tragedy, I'm going to say this: If you haven't already registered for Safety at Sea in Muskegon this week Saturday, April 21st, Please do so now. I'm counting on you to save my sorry butt. Larry has done an outstanding job bringing this class to our doorstep. We owe it to ourselves - and to each other - to be there and build our skills.

http://www.mycregistration.com/

Online registration is open through Wednesday the 18th.

Left a few extra on the catering count for late comers. Still have room for a few more but please register now if your coming!

Thanks for all the help and support from everyone promoting this. The SF tragedy this week puts this all back into focus as we are all prepariing for the coming season.

See you all Saturday!:D

[quote name='lartaunt' timestamp='1334712927' post='3677050

Left a few extra on the catering count for late comers. Still have room for a few more but please register now if your coming!

Thanks for all the help and support from everyone promoting this. The SF tragedy this week puts this all back into focus as we are all prepariing for the coming season.

See you all Saturday!:D

Really looking forward to SAS tomorrow.

Larry - Will there be a metal detector at the door?

Somehow I suspect that after the addition to the Mac Safety Regs there will be more one-hand-opening knives in the room than any place this side of a biker bar!

A huge thanks to Larry for organizing the safety at sea seminar. I found it to be very informative and thought the speakers both national and local did a really good job. There were several take aways but a big one was pull hard on that rip cord for the raft!

Thanks to everyone for making the Safety at Sea Seminar a big success. Screen was a bit too small and the the beautiful BRIGHT day didn't help, but the speakers were excellant and the information vital! Thanks to all my volunteers and especially to Bruce Brown our moderator who did an outstanding job especially considering he was working on only a couple of hours of sleep after multiple flight delays on the way to GRR.

Won't know the totals for a few days but we made some money for the Muskegon Yacht Club programs and hopefully educated everyone and made West Mi sailors more aware and knowledgable about Safety. More than a few sobering moments during the program when the inner voice admitted I have (or haven't) done that and it probably wasn't too smart. Actually seeing and handling the safety equipment was also eye opening.

Thanks again to all for participating!:D

P.S. If you want to study the wind on Muskegon Lake there is no place better than the ballroom balconey at Muskegon Country Club. You can see the whole lake and every puff!

A huge thanks to Larry for organizing the safety at sea seminar. I found it to be very informative and thought the speakers both national and local did a really good job. There were several take aways but a big one was pull hard on that rip cord for the raft!

Major Kudos to Larry for making this happen.

Great seminar, great event. I learned alot, refreshed and reinforced even more.

I must admit, I was disappointed in the turnout. There should have been a lot more sailors in the room.

We also noted the age gap. Lots of boat owners, not a lot of crew. Not very many people in the room under the age of 30 or 35 - often the young bucks with more testosterone than good sense. Wish we'd seen more of them in the room, because I know I need to count on them to help keep me alive. One of our guys pointed out that the age gap may be due in part to sticker shock on the price of the course. For those of us who have to do continuing education for work, $175 a day is more than OK. Its even a bit low. But for some of our crew, that's a big number. Should they pay for the class, or buy their own inflatable PFD with harness.....?

I get it, but I'm still disappointed in the small turnout from our younger crew.

Major Kudos to Larry for making this happen.

Great seminar, great event. I learned alot, refreshed and reinforced even more.

I must admit, I was disappointed in the turnout. There should have been a lot more sailors in the room.

We also noted the age gap. Lots of boat owners, not a lot of crew. Not very many people in the room under the age of 30 or 35 - often the young bucks with more testosterone than good sense. Wish we'd seen more of them in the room, because I know I need to count on them to help keep me alive. One of our guys pointed out that the age gap may be due in part to sticker shock on the price of the course. For those of us who have to do continuing education for work, $175 a day is more than OK. Its even a bit low. But for some of our crew, that's a big number. Should they pay for the class, or buy their own inflatable PFD with harness.....?

I get it, but I'm still disappointed in the small turnout from our younger crew.

Thanks!

Without a doubt some of the age gap issue was price, but as you saw, there is a lot involved to put this on. Equipment, people, venue, meals, etc. It would be a huge risk to put one of these on at a lower price unless you could guarantee maximum attendance. The upfront overhead cost is just too high.

One of the other misconceptions is that this is a seminar just for racers, and even just for MAC racers, when in fact it has nothing to do with racing. It is a seminar about SAFETY and is applicable to all boaters, especially sailors of any type who intend to venture out on the water more than a mile or so. I probably should have put more effort into drawing a larger audience, but frankly I expected us to sell out just with the racing sailors so didn't feel it was necessary. Also expected a bigger turn out from our own yacht club which did not happen. OH WELL! We made it work, still raised some money, and had a terrifc day.

Overall, SAS was a great day! I especially enjoyed the reports from Sociable on the conditions and actions related to last year's Mac race. They truly did an admirable job on the water. Its comforting to know there are sailors on the lakes with this type of experience to help keep all of us safe.

Hrothgar

Having been an active participant in 4 of these SAS seminars, I can tell you that they are so more than worth it. Sorry I couldn't make this one. The bit about the young 'uns is part of something larger overall. From what I am reading, very very nicely done Larry and your volunteers!

Solo sailed TF on Sunday out in the big lake. Winds got gusty late in the afternoon. Reduced down to a main only and I was still reaching at 5.7 knots. Felt good to be on a boat again.

Gotta love the singlehanded life! Keep at it and you can do the Solo Mac.

Hike bitches!

Oh never mind, just stay on the boat.

Wednesdays forcast is gusts to 20 again!

If we can just make it to the line on time we may be a contender.

Oops.

First 'official' MYC race is this Wednesday--the Spring Challenge. STD will be on the water. Can't wait.

Hrothgar

Congratulations

Just trying to generate some enthusiasm for the season and this thread, which has been lame for some time now. How's the Peerless coming? Hope to see you guys out sometime before June 20th.

Hroth