Flirt of paget

Restoration Ron Holland IOR racer Flirt of Paget (2)

Fop, i feel guilty for enjoying your pictures and for the inspiration they are to me and my project - so i will share one of mine just so you know you are not alone in your love of older boats from the IOR era. This one is one of the 50' from Frers, although by comparison to you what we are doing cannot be called a restoration just a minor refit! Keep up the good effort, its really enjoyable to follow:

FOP,

Great job, love watching the restoration develop, looking forward to seeingher sailing

Allthe best

RobDoyle /Ron Holland Design

Hello guys, thanks a lot for looking at this project, it is so nice to get the positive feedback. I am in Dubai this week so my progress as so many other weeks this year is down to zero... I will go out and sail when I get home but unfortunately not with Flirt. // FOP

two weeks sailing with kids and wife has been really nice.

Since then we have worked 14 full days on Flirt, mission this summer is to finish the coaming around the cockpit. The intention is to be able to hide the spayhood when it is folded and remain the flush deck appearance.

Second mission was to let here hit the water after almost 3 years on the hard to verify the water line after all the modifications we have done with moving the engine, moving location of water tanks, batteries, holding tank etc. The photo show Flirt of Paget in the water still secured by the lifting sling but still in the water. The water line was perfect, we will not change it.

This means that we will start with dry ice blasting of the hull below water line tomorrowph34r.gif. My dad is back on the project again after some well deserved vacation sailing, he worked on the radius of the coaming today, Fred made some rather nice boxes to install the KVH compasses in. Maria has sanded the entire keel blade not to bare lead but down to the tar epoxy primer. I made the sailing instrument panel today, I will mill it tomorrow to be able to install an aluminium frame and later the instruments.

70318.jpg

15dfc.jpg

7df0.jpg

Fop, some nice weather you guys are having :) The Missus and I are headed out to see our boat next week, hopefully we will even hoist some sails on her this year. It must be a good feeling seeing the boat back in the water even if only breifly, she looks happy!

The water line was perfect, we will not change it.

I've been following your progress and am astounded at the quality of restoration you're doing. Nice job!

I'm curious - the waterline is perfect now, with no weight in the ends... but IOR boats often trim differently when people are aboard. Typically the weight is aft, and there isn't much weight forward to offset it when sailing. Have you given thought to setting the waterline for "sailing trim" rather than "dockside trim"?

The water line was perfect, we will not change it.

I've been following your progress and am astounded at the quality of restoration you're doing. Nice job!

I'm curious - the waterline is perfect now, with no weight in the ends... but IOR boats often trim differently when people are aboard. Typically the weight is aft, and there isn't much weight forward to offset it when sailing. Have you given thought to setting the waterline for "sailing trim" rather than "dockside trim"?

I was thinking the same thing except the effect of the weight of the mast and rigging on your waterline.

Hi guys, well the biggest change I have done is to move the engine forward approx 900 mm and turned it so the flywheel will face forward, the major weight of the engine will be positoned just above the trailing edge of the keel. The water tanks are moved forward approx 5-600 forward from the original position. I checked the water line with empty tanks and also with tanks filled to approx 75% and in both cases she was floating allright. The weight of mast and rig will be approx 150-200 kg (my guess) and will be centered above the keel so the impact will be limited to added weight on the right place (above the keel). 90% of the interior is made of 30 mm Honeycomb panels so the weight of the interior will be pretty much the same as the old interior made of 12 mm plywood and hardwood even if we now have more bulkheads. Before she was floating on a dockside trim and I will try to keep that.

Tomorrow we will start with dry ice blasting since the tests we did on Monday was pretty impressive.

//FOP

Yah! Sweden. Where old IOR boats go to be obsessively worked on.

BTW if the topsides are 3 layers of 5mm veneer you shouldn't need to glass is from a structural point of view. If you want to protect the wood then a light layer of fine glass will be enough. I forget what you call the ultrafine cloth that people use as finish layers but that's what i would use assuming you intend to leave the wood visible.

Yah! Sweden. Where old IOR boats go to be obsessively worked on.

BTW if the topsides are 3 layers of 5mm veneer you shouldn't need to glass is from a structural point of view. If you want to protect the wood then a light layer of fine glass will be enough. I forget what you call the ultrafine cloth that people use as finish layers but that's what i would use assuming you intend to leave the wood visible.

The glasfiber below waterline is to make the hull as watertight as possible, on the top sides I intend to use a ultrafine fiber to give it more wear protectionhuh.gif.

//FOP

amazing.

Fantastiskt! Var håller du hus?

Fantastiskt! Var håller du hus?

Hej Frejo,

The yacht is at Nya Varvet in Göteborg. It would be fun if you showed up to take a look. I will send a personal invitation to you. I will post a few new pics from the work we have done this summer in a few days. //FOPcool.gif

Here is a small update on the work performed on the deck. First photo is from the when we started the restoration work.

1fc0a.jpg

All spots with humidity and areas were we needed hard wood is located and rectified on this photo.

1623.jpg

Some of the equipment we have used to try to get the deck smooth and straight, this floor sander did not work very well...

c30ef.jpg

Maria does the final cleaning before the first coat of epoxy filler

6dba1.jpg

Will post some more photos later tonight

//FOP

Area around the mast, photo is taken when we removed all gear on deck. It turned out that here was rot and cracks...

b84cc.jpg

Epoxy filler is on the deck and in all radius around the forepeak hatch. The trick is to get litle enough not to sand yourself to deathsad.gif

2113f.jpg

Iphone camera...

8a33.jpg

Slightly more the 50% of the deck is covered

a3d47.jpg

I will bring a proper camera tomorrow. We will work on the design of the coamings and to get the conduit in place to make sure we have space avilable for the sailing instruments and future needs.

More to follow tomorrow night //FOP

Amazing work you are putting into that boat!

Did you do the ice blasting yourself, did you rent the machine, where?

Amazing work you are putting into that boat!

Did you do the ice blasting yourself, did you rent the machine, where?

Hi Spackel, thanks for the positive feedback, it is always appreciated to hear from others. We spent the entire vactaion plus one additional week (in total 5 weeks) to finish the deck and new coamings. We are not entirely there yet but we can glimpse what it will look like... Took some new photos today but forgot the camera in the shopsad.gif.

Will try to upload tomorrow instead.

We did not blast ourselves, there is a company in Gothenburg called IS-AB they did the whole work for us. Not cheap but the result is VERY nice.

I just wanted to show you a couple more photos from the day we put Flirt in the water for the first time in almost 3 years and it will give you a good view of what she looks like. No more comments on these photos only the last one...

688f3.jpg

a6fcb.jpg

217f.jpg

Here is a detailed photo of the rudder, when we measured the moisture the rudder was really really bad... Now I see why.

e1643.jpg

Second post tonight; today we had a visit of the sparyhood manufacturer, I wanted to know if the height of the coaming was enough and if he was happy with the volume between the two coamings. He was and we more or less agreed about what to do and about the cost.

Here is a bunch of photos showing the work we have accomplished this summer, especially on the coamings.

178c.jpg

5b15b.jpg

9a62.jpg

8e78c.jpg

0cab9.jpg

Here are photos of the design, installation and at the end final result.

First photo show the sailing instrument panel made of Divinycell before we started to form the shape.

1289.jpg

Here it is shaped and you can also see the cut out on the port side for the conduit for the sailing instrument wiring. The custom made rope clutches have been trail mounted on their pine wood bracket and you can also see the tubing for the halyards going through the coaming.

7e77b.jpg

Sailing instrument panel laminated with 400g glasfiber.

44102.jpg

The conduit has been glued in place and DG (Den Gamle=The old man) is removing excess epoxy

f7af.jpg

Trail fitting

6e32.jpg

Final for tonight

DG is epoxying the sailing instrument panel and gluing in the conduit

115d.jpg

First day after my vacation, inspecting the work, you can also see that the bow is sanded

f9c8.jpg

I have just found your posts on the restoration of the Flirt of Paget (Spritzer). I built Flirt for myself in aproximately 1980 she was called Spritzer, can't remember the exact year I sold her to Shorty he changed the name to Flirt of Paget She was built for the Admirals cup trials here in Auckland NZ .

Its great to see that she has a proud owner, she was built quickly (16 weeks) we made sure that the structure was light and strong the hull is NZ kauri which is a wonderful boatbuilding timber and extremely durable.

Any information that I can give you that would be of help to your project I am to happy to do so, I did know her very well as the campaign for the NZ trials was a very tight regatta and we put in many hours of preparation I then sailed with Shorty in England, as a crew member

I have looked through your photographs of the work you are doing and have really enjoyed seeing her again

Good Luck with the restoration I will follow with interest

Hi Richard, I have a question about the hull topsides. Do you remember if you epoxied the topsides before you put on varnish? Now the topsides look mottled and I do not know if it is the epoxy remaining in the Kauri or if it is the structure of the wood. We have more or less sanded the entire hull (video will be uploaded as soon as Fred comes home again) and I do not know if I shall sand harder to try to get rid of the mottled areas?

Any input would be highly appreciated.

//FOP

This is a film clip showing the work we have done on the hull, topsides and bottom. She is today sanded to 85-90%, it looks indeed good.

Caught up with FOP last night, great character and the passion for his boat just flows on every word he speaks about it.

Thanks for a great night FOP!

Caught up with FOP last night, great character and the passion for his boat just flows on every word he speaks about it.

Thanks for a great night FOP!

Hi Advocate,

I really enjoyed the evening w you and your buddy, great way to learn to know people. Finally I ended up in Karratha and is now offshore. I wish I had some fresh updates from the restoration but that have to wait until I get home.

See you mate//FOP

FWIW, Large areas that need light sanding, the Porter Cable 593-7800 Drywall Sander tool is awesome.

105821_front200.jpg

WOW! Just saw this thread for the first time..Need to get over here to FixIt Anarchy more often! :huh::unsure:

Absolutely amazing.

Have raced a little bit on a Holland design back in the day (Holland/Swan 42), wonderful boats!

You are doing great work, FOP..thanks for taking the time to share the fun and the pain and the amazing attention to details.

One more comment - it is nice to see you removed that terrible V-drive in the prop shaft. :blink:

Good luck in your project..it will be exciting to see it complete, whenever that happens! B)

Hi all SA friends, I have had a hectic summer and fall, a lots of travel and actual meeting The Advocate i Perth while I was there on business. Really nice guy and we meet one of his sailing buddies as well working on the FPSO vessel I visited, small world. I am disappointed about Perth I thought there should be a lot of yachts and possibilities to yacht spotting huh.gif.

The consequence is that progress on Flirt is down to zero almost, but small positive things is that my dad has repaired the veneer with new Kauri and the galley is soon ready with all hatches and drawers and that I have bought a truck load of Awlgrip from the US.

I will go to the US next week and will have some spare time in Chicago and looking for good chandler shops (selling used boat stuff) any ideas were to go?

I visited my good friends at GIGS Mekaniska this morning, I asked Peter to make new custom made halyard sheaves in aluminium with roller and ball-bearings instead of the old sheave with bronze bushings, these items was really worn out due to wire halyards and the load from 30 years of sailing, bushing holes were oval. I found new old Harken stock a couple of years ago and bought a few sheaves to be used as donor for potential new sheaves for Flirt.

d29d4.jpg

As always Peter has done a great job with the new sheaves as you can see. The old is to the leftrolleyes.gif

7bbfa.jpg

old, new and donor

34a4d.jpg

Here is a few photos from the sanding of the hull and bottom, this is one of the seacocks, the wood is a little misscolored but it feels OK when working with a knife...

dbb74.jpg

At one point I wanted to remove all the stainless staples but it turns out they are really difficult to get out without damaging the Kauri wood. Now I will only remove staples were I will replace the old Kauri wood with new material.

4871.jpg

Here is my dad working on the veneer and the template he made for the milling. The template is glued with newspaper and ordinary white-glue.

031a.jpg

This is the first trail installation of the template.

9c953.jpg

Hi all SA friends, I have had a hectic summer and fall, a lots of travel and actual meeting The Advocate i Perth while I was there on business. Really nice guy and we meet one of his sailing buddies as well working on the FPSO vessel I visited, small world. I am disappointed about Perth I thought there should be a lot of yachts and possibilities to yacht spotting huh.gif.

The consequence is that progress on Flirt is down to zero almost, but small positive things is that my dad has repaired the veneer with new Kauri and the galley is soon ready with all hatches and drawers and that I have bought a truck load of Awlgrip from the US.

I will go to the US next week and will have some spare time in Chicago and looking for good chandler shops (selling used boat stuff) any ideas were to go?

tot

IF you have time I would suggest you go to wolves marine it is in Benton harbor Micigan . Its about 90 mins from Chicago I have not got their website but google you should find It. They have a huge place with used and new at extremely low prices

This is a photo I like, it shows that we are making progress, even if I work on 1000 different items finally they all come together and it is possible to assemble thingstongue.gif. I have a busy schedule until November 19 but after that date I will focus on the paint job, deck and hull top-sides.

5f673.jpg

Always a delight to see the progress you are making on this project. An amazing job if I ever saw one.

Hi guys,

I has been a while but again work has put a stop to the progress of my IOR boat project. I do not complain but need to spend time in Sweden in order to be able to do something. Goal has been to finish the deck, coaming, topsides and bottom this year and that is probably not possible. I have control of most steps of the process to finish but each one of the goals are rather big and it might take a few "days" longer the anticipated.

My dad and son put a massive 16 hours on Flirt on Saturday and put on the first coat of 545 clear while I am offshore for two weeks. The camera equipment seems to be poor but it is great to see the progress.

post-47989-047842200 1322438932_thumb.jpg

post-47989-029769800 1322438978_thumb.jpg

post-47989-053621900 1322439006_thumb.jpg

post-47989-086012800 1322439034_thumb.jpg

Here are a few more photos of the work they did last week. I really want to get home now to see the progress and continue with the paint job.

post-47989-058970100 1322480916_thumb.jpg

post-47989-080802900 1322480944_thumb.jpg

post-47989-088204400 1322480966_thumb.jpg

What a great project FOP, I haven't seen this before. Good to see you doing such a good job of getting this old lady back in top condition.

Keep the updates coming

Scotty

What a great project FOP, I haven't seen this before. Good to see you doing such a good job of getting this old lady back in top condition.

Keep the updates coming

Scotty

Hi Scotty, glad you like it, spend a lot of hours on here and would really like put here back to former glory. Now I am stuck in WA on a oil production vessel FPSO so not much progress even if my dad and my son put as much effort as they can in the project.

Very cool. The boat looks awesome!

Hi Ultraman, nice to know that you appreciate our work, we have spent all available days since mid of December to get to this point and hopefully we can finish the deck and then the topsides nice and glossy. Biggest issue now is to build a spray booth around the boat for the paint job. I plan to travel over the deck in our overhead crane to be able to work over the entire deck area without the need of walking in the tacky paint. I do not know if it is possible to achieve.

More detail photos will follow shortly just need to sort them out and upload them on SA if you want to see them.

//FOP

Keep posting photos and stories! This is a fascinating project that I have been following with much interest.

I plan to travel over the deck in our overhead crane to be able to work over the entire deck area without the need of walking in the tacky paint. I do not know if it is possible to achieve.

//FOP

Hardly necessary - painted many a deck in the same manner as that gray primer - walking aft while rolling/spraying.

One thing you WILL discover is that white doesn't cover dark very well - will require some light-color under coating if you want it to be bright white.

I plan to travel over the deck in our overhead crane to be able to work over the entire deck area without the need of walking in the tacky paint. I do not know if it is possible to achieve.

//FOP

Hardly necessary - painted many a deck in the same manner as that gray primer - walking aft while rolling/spraying.

One thing you WILL discover is that white doesn't cover dark very well - will require some light-color under coating if you want it to be bright white.

Hi GRS, I´m not so afraid for the primers but the topcoat is very tacky and I believe that I will have a lot of footprints after first flashing. I use the grey 545 as a bottom primer and next I will use Awlgrip High Build primer and seal that with 545 white before I go for the topcoat. White on coamings and details and light grey on the deck with griptex.

Cheers/ FOP

Hi FOP,

As you know I painted the antiskid areas on the deck on our old Arcona 355 with Internationals Perfection in the color Platinum. I put on two coats with 24 h drying time between the coats. I rolled the antiskid areas and the result was awesome. There is most probably no need to use the crane in the workshop. I spent at least 10 hours to mask all antiskid areas and the actual painting was just 2-3 hours per coat. After that another 10 hours to get rid of all maskin tape and the paint that came under the tape with a old fashioned razor blade.

I give you a call when you expect it least

Medströms

This is sick. I've spent the last 9 months working on my boat doing (what I thought was) an extensive rebuild. I was stumped for weeks trying to figure out how I was going to fix a 20cm x 20cm portion of rotted core. It's taken me 2 months to make a 1/2 meter cockpit table out of an old chair.

That's a pretty awesome job you're doing there!

That's really awesome, she's gorgeous. I actually just went to look at one of Holland's Shamrocks, the one that belonged to Stuart Woods and ran in the '76 OSTAR, but it was beyond my means to restore her properly, so I had to pass. Good luck with the restoration.

I was curious about that also, why did you not use the white 545?

Anyway, looks great!

//FOP

When applying white over white, judging film thickness is difficult or impossible.

Got ya! Thanks

When applying white over white, judging film thickness is difficult or impossible.

Hi all,

Here is a few photos of the first coat of Awlgrip we did last weekend. This is the morning after and we could not resist to lift on board some of the gear just to get a rewarding gooood feeling of what it will look like... and this is just the first coat of primer. It is me posing on the fordeck.

dd6cf35e7d.jpg

Detail of cockpit

ef7a8a25f3.jpg

cec9f1d7c4.jpg

a1ec55e219.jpg

The blue tape is to give a feeling of the white lines we plan to paint into the structure.

ac991be10b.jpg

Second post of today, this is an overview of FLIRT second week of January 2012eb06fdba28.jpg

Again the proud owner

92780394b3.jpg

Detail of the KVH compass installation

922ccc3f67.jpg

The nice and tidy deck was soon back to normal... more follow tomorrowcool.gif

39f6fc4134.jpg

Amazing project. This whole thread is like a college course on restoration. Sorry it took me so long to stumble on to it...I have sort of been avoiding FIX-IT anarchy for some reason. Very inspiring, makes my project seem like cleaning the cat box by comparison! Thanks for documenting this so thoroughly and for doing such a beautiful job on the FLIRT.

[edit} oh yeah, and like jackdaw said, I too would give my left nut for that boat-barn. Cheers!

Amazing project. This whole thread is like a college course on restoration. Sorry it took me so long to stumble on to it...I have sort of been avoiding FIX-IT anarchy for some reason. Very inspiring, makes my project seem like cleaning the cat box by comparison! Thanks for documenting this so thoroughly and for doing such a beautiful job on the FLIRT.

[edit} oh yeah, and like jackdaw said, I too would give my left nut for that boat-barn. Cheers!

Hi TimFord i55, thanks for the nice words it really boost my effort to get out of the sanding/filler part of this project... I just breifly checked your project and that looks like at least as much work as our project. I will go back and read all your stuff later this week.

I know that there is a few more areas involving sanding and filler but the deck has been such a pain. Worst thing is that you can spend 2x8 h and spend USD 100 on sand paper and USD 500 and you see no progress, sooooo boring. I think we soon will be over this and start to see a finished deck. Fred my son and I spent the evening sanding he in the cockpit and I was taken care of starboard sheer line and the glas going down 3-4" out on the hull.

We had celeb visiting us today when Gabriel Heyman came to the shop and looked at the progress, Gabriel is the yacht designer who helped us to design the interior and giving us good ideas. He has his studio in the same building as we have Flirt.

It almost feels like a big waste to sand off all of the gray 545 primer, but it is actual really good to get some references to work with

2008148328.jpg

The boat builder who helped me to build the new cockpit did not make a good job with the radius between cockpit floor and wall. We had to re-sand everything and put on new glasfiber. Photo show me with "polpreg" to the left you see all the wetted glasfiber nice and clean ready to be cut to fit.

27580db14f.jpg

Cutting one of the corners

06fbf8ea11.jpg

Removing the plastic film

eb42fc6190.jpg

3e7e433347.jpg

Yep deck work, cock-pit corners especially, are TEDIOUS ! AND, once painted you will see EVERY flaw, so you HAVE to get them right. All I can say is that using Peel-ply and working CLEAN to avoid extra sanding is my best counsel. That and patience. Lots of it.

Looks brilliant

Spend the time now and you'll be happier with the end product instead al looking at that fillel that ain't quite right for years to come

Wow! This thing is like an artwork, she looks beautiful, like she wants to move and sail already. You must feel proud already of the work and what youve achieved, thanks for the inspiration!

Woww, this has been an interesting topic and have followed it from about page 2.

It makes my project look small by comparison but understand the time issues especially between being at sea and then working on the boat when home.

Having sailed on several of Holland's boats I do have a soft spot for them, this is a beautiful boat and well done.

The transom was ready when we realized that we forgot the drain from the cockpit...unsure.gif So we just took out a long 6 mm drill bit measured the angles and at the end we had two nice 52 mm holes a good area to put the glas.510460c019.jpg

Here the 52 mm GRP tube is in place and covered with 7 layers of 400 g glasfiber. I will not be able to continue with Flirt until the end of the week since I will be in Germany from tomorrow sad.gif. Big paint job on deck is now very closeunsure.gif

61b8bd17db.jpg

Great project FOP, been following along marvelling at what a quality and thorough job you and the family have been doing, congratulations, it looks like it's really coming together.

Wow! This thing is like an artwork, she looks beautiful, like she wants to move and sail already. You must feel proud already of the work and what youve achieved, thanks for the inspiration!

Woww, this has been an interesting topic and have followed it from about page 2.

It makes my project look small by comparison but understand the time issues especially between being at sea and then working on the boat when home.

Having sailed on several of Holland's boats I do have a soft spot for them, this is a beautiful boat and well done.

Great project FOP, been following along marvelling at what a quality and thorough job you and the family have been doing, congratulations, it looks like it's really coming together.

Guys, thank you so much for the encouragement you can not believe how much I appreciate it specially now when it is tough. Paint job on deck has started and I hope we can put 545 primer on the deck really soon. I will update with photos as soon as I can.

//FOP

Keep at it man, we want to see the finished paint! Seriously though, Im sure your anticipation is much greater than ours. At the minute im drafting a six week repair schedule for our old tub that includes too many jobs..

It's been a while since I checked in here. Great work, FOP! Having taken 2.5 years to get through my own full refit, I can appreciate the emotional milestones of completing this job. Completion of paint is a HUGE boost as she suddenly looks like she'll float again! Replacing hardware becomes a sprint forward in progress. Enjoy!

Hi wynott, I plan to use Griptex coarse, intention was to mix the different grades (believe fine, medium and coarse) but I screwed up and got the coarse stuff in both canssad.gif. I have been giving a lot of thoughts how to apply but I will go with a roller and not spray on the paint/Griptex.

FOP what are you going to use for anti-slip on the deck?

i've met a few people who swear by the method of pouring the grit over wet paint, allowing to cure, sweeping away loose grit, then painting over the top.

I've never seen a boat with a deck where they mixed the grit into the paint and rolled achieve what I would consider a perfect result. Some are pretty good, but always certain unevenness or visible roller marks.

I guess there are probably lots of threads on this forum discussing deck paint.

Not that this really matters by the time a bunch of sticky rum and cokes and all the bowman's blood is all over the place, etc.

I have no experience with deck painting yet myself.... but have the same job to do this spring. Curious to see how yours turns out before I proceed!

FOP

When you are done, are you going to sail the boat or display it as a work of art?

Keep up the great work, I check daily for updates.

Paging Dr. Burnsy, Paging Dr. Burnsy.

too bad Shifes left us, they'd be able to offer up an expirienced opinion on what works well.

Hi wynott, I plan to use Griptex coarse, intention was to mix the different grades (believe fine, medium and coarse) but I screwed up and got the coarse stuff in both canssad.gif. I have been giving a lot of thoughts how to apply but I will go with a roller and not spray on the paint/Griptex.

FOP what are you going to use for anti-slip on the deck?

Folks seem to like Kiwi Grip quite a bit.

It difficult to get the old man to take part in the sanding of the deck, guess he has sanded enough in his life, so he is working inside the boat. We are really close to start the paint job, maybe this weekend... In order to get the engine in place we needed to cut the rear keel bolt 5/8" since it was too close to the oil sump of the engine. I believe that the photos tell you what we did and the result. It is not the best solution but I hope it is a fair compromise to get a strong keel installation.

Diameter 60 and 30 mm deep

a7eb1be71c.jpg

6 pcs diameter 120 and 4 pcs carbon fiber 400 g/m2 various lengths

21c9b04088.jpg

The greased PVC mandrel in place

2565d215f2.jpg

What it looked like this morning

f776f416a4.jpg

Finished result

2006d90a8d.jpg

Truly inspiring, FOP. Just discovered this thread and your project and read with increasing amazement from start to finish. Sounds like a full-on family project. Wonderful that you have your father, son and wife to count on.

Truly inspiring, FOP. Just discovered this thread and your project and read with increasing amazement from start to finish. Sounds like a full-on family project. Wonderful that you have your father, son and wife to count on.

What an awesome Thread. I cant wait to see more :) Your Boat looks Beautiful.

Hi guys, thanks for stopping by. Have been sick last week and Maria and my dad is sick now... situation from my point of view is awful this paint job (prep for paint) is killing mesad.gifblink.gifdry.gif just as I thought I had everything under control is looks like the 545 clear primer doesn't stick to the Kauri wood/hull. I peeled off the masking tape and realized that the 545 stick to the tape. I wonder if it is because the surface is not cleaned properly, to rough, to smooth. If anyone out there could give me input/advise I would be very happybiggrin.gif //FOP

post-47989-022974600 1332101218_thumb.jpg

Paint job is slow since I have not any good ideas how to proceed with the topsides. Here is a few photos of the engine installation.

post-47989-056411800 1334355423_thumb.jpg

post-47989-050522500 1334355443_thumb.jpg

Here is a couple of details of the rig made of AISI 316. Toggles for the headstay and toggle and for the backstay..

post-47989-047844400 1334417243_thumb.jpg

post-47989-059497800 1334417257_thumb.jpg

FOP, certain masking tapes can sometimes easily pull the paint and finish off of wood if left on for too long. I saw it all the time in wooden floors when I was in that business.

Here is a few photos of the last few weeks progress. Again we have postponed the date when this crazy project will be ready... Each year about this time I move the date for Flirt of Paget´s launch date. Sad but a fact even this year.

I have made some decisions about the paint job. I will put a 80-160 g/m2 twill cloth on the top sides. After this BIG undertaking I intend to paint the top sides and deck. I am just to afraid to go ahead and paint directly on the bare wood since the paint stick to the masking tape.sad.gif

The combined engine enclosure/table is huge, but we will make some drawers for tools or winch handles etc in the rear.

post-47989-058587200 1335300901_thumb.jpg

post-47989-002584400 1335300921_thumb.jpg

post-47989-026913100 1335300938_thumb.jpg

post-47989-028843200 1335300963_thumb.jpg

post-47989-048090900 1335300978_thumb.jpg

For me this a an interesting piece of paper, it is a letter from "shorty" Trimingham to Mr Reid in Boston after he bought here back in 1992. Mr Reid owned her for some 16 years before I got my hands on her unsure.gif. Long weekend in Sweden starting now and we will be able to work 4 full days.

Letter from Shorty.pdf

Here is a few photos of the engine box as it looked yesterday and the achievement on our weight saving program...rolleyes.gif

post-47989-084468800 1335821210_thumb.jpg

post-47989-060882700 1335821226_thumb.jpg

post-47989-061157600 1335821260_thumb.jpg

post-47989-081993100 1335821288_thumb.jpg

Second post, the weight saving was 85 grams... and late last night the real reward cool beer and barbecue...cool.gif

post-47989-004340500 1335821734_thumb.jpg

post-47989-021386200 1335821833_thumb.jpg

post-47989-045204500 1335821845_thumb.jpg