Grinder

Chicago Area III

Anybody doing PH too?

Looking for ride back to Chicago from the island - PM por favor ...Gracias

Boat hits seawall near Adler Planetarium

A 43-foot boat struck a submerged seawall this evening just south of the Adler Planetarium, police said.

No one was hurt, but the accident prompted the Chicago Police marine unit to send out a helicopter and a dive team to the scene near 12th Street beach “just in case,” an officer with the marine unit said.

Police did not immediately know how many people were on the boat, and exact time for the crash was not available.

“They are trying to get the boat back into open water,” said police spokesman Daniel O'Brien about 9:50 p.m.

Boat hits seawall near Adler Planetarium

A 43-foot boat struck a submerged seawall this evening just south of the Adler Planetarium, police said.

No one was hurt, but the accident prompted the Chicago Police marine unit to send out a helicopter and a dive team to the scene near 12th Street beach “just in case,” an officer with the marine unit said.

Police did not immediately know how many people were on the boat, and exact time for the crash was not available.

“They are trying to get the boat back into open water,” said police spokesman Daniel O'Brien about 9:50 p.m.

Ouch, hope it wasn't a boat in for the Mac.

So my Mum and Dad want to head to Mac Island in October and asked me to help her find the right place. She is trying to do it economically and I was curious as to anyone's experience with renting a house or condo vs a few hotel rooms as she is looking to have the kids join her so it would be 8 ppl total.

Any ideas?

City of Mackinac Island has an ordinance that requires that house rentals be 30 days or more.

So my Mum and Dad want to head to Mac Island in October and asked me to help her find the right place. She is trying to do it economically and I was curious as to anyone's experience with renting a house or condo vs a few hotel rooms as she is looking to have the kids join her so it would be 8 ppl total.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Just sent you a text.

In the good old days, the Assassin crew rented an apartment, believe they were owned/managed by the Island House. We got a studio and slept a ton of people there, but not probably the type of sleeping arrangements (couch cushions on the floor, etc.) you're looking for :) Sure they had bigger apartments too.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Pontiac Lodge

We've stayed here the last 2 years. Nothing fancy but clean and the staff is super friendly.

Does anybody here actually LIKE the beer can courses this season down at Chicago/Columbia/Burnham?

Tonight, the windward leg was closehauled without a tack (for us at least). One gybe at the leeward mark. Then a jib reach to the finish. Not at all interesting.

Does anybody here actually LIKE the beer can courses this season down at Chicago/Columbia/Burnham?

Tonight, the windward leg was closehauled without a tack (for us at least). One gybe at the leeward mark. Then a jib reach to the finish. Not at all interesting.

Not unlike the previous 2 races where, in a NE-ish wind, the first leg was a fetch to the crib, run to next mark and a fetch to the finish.

As for "racing", they are a crock of shite.

Only good thing is it allows for massive consumption of beer during said "race"...

Chaos

Racing was great up at the Montrose circle last night and it was one of the best nights to be out sailing in Chicago this summer.

We really did not want to sail back to the dock at the end of the race - there was an ample supply of "Blue Cans" for all the clowns.

Wednesday night racing is all about just getting out on the boat - sailing with your friends and meeting new sailors.

Don't sweat the small stuff like the course , or is the line square etc. just enjoy the great night of sailing with your crew.

5D

Any racing on Saturday? Going to be in town and want to get out on the water. If someone has a spot, let me know.

You just going to bitch, or might you have a solution that would make for better racing within the RC resources of the existing races?

Oh, and change your diaper, it's a bit saggy.

Not unlike the previous 2 races where, in a NE-ish wind, the first leg was a fetch to the crib, run to next mark and a fetch to the finish.

As for "racing", they are a crock of shite.

Only good thing is it allows for massive consumption of beer during said "race"...

Chaos

Racing was great up at the Montrose circle last night and it was one of the best nights to be out sailing in Chicago this summer.

We really did not want to sail back to the dock at the end of the race - there was an ample supply of "Blue Cans" for all the clowns.

Wednesday night racing is all about just getting out on the boat - sailing with your friends and meeting new sailors.

Don't sweat the small stuff like the course , or is the line square etc. just enjoy the great night of sailing with your crew.

5D

I actually like the new setup at Columbia, although it would be good if the courses were just a little longer.

The courses are easier to sail from a boat-handling perspective, and there is plenty more time to get out to the starting area. Those two things make it a lot easier to bring newbs, as well as hold a beer while driving. Since it is supposed to be all about having fun and increasing participation, I'm all for the change. The fact that the racing hasn't been as "hardcore" doesn't seem to be preventing anyone from coming out to play, either.

Hi everyone, area III guy here. Found this site through google while reading about the WingNuts saga.

Whats the deal with Fran Byrne.Aug 6/7 1 day or 2 days. It is unclear. Help please,

yo

Whats the deal with Fran Byrne.Aug 6/7 1 day or 2 days. It is unclear. Help please,

yo

It is a one day race, Sat 8/6

You just going to bitch, or might you have a solution that would make for better racing within the RC resources of the existing races?

My suggestion to many people has been to return to the courses that had been used for at least the past 10 years. No additional resources required.

yo

Lets get AnchorYanker in here. I think it is 2 days. Anyone else thoughts?

It's two days. All one has to do is read the SSIs.

yo

So if one were interested sailing the Tri-State/Bi-state this year, where exactly would they go to sign up. Several people have been telling me that its something "you really have to do" and now some of my Mac crew are pressuring me to make it happen. I know its Monday and I'm a little sleepy-headed, but for the Love of God I can't find any registration information. Thanks.

yo

I just spoke to AnchorYanker and he said is racing on Saturday & Sunday.

Thanks for the reading comprehension lesson. Please note the last update to that specific SSI as TODAY. It just changed. The previous version was different. Don't you think I would have checked the SSI's?

[quote name=40048' timestamp='1312214000'

post='3351583]

yo

Any ideas?

"somthin" point condos do short terms and it is the best way to go for bunch of peeps ~

Over 25 pages.... About time for the "thread delete" feature to kick in.

Why?

Cheers to the crew of Lucky Dubie 2, Len told the story well and it seems we encountered the same emotions.

You never really think that you can perish doing something you love and it is good to have good friends and crew to back you up under such circumstances.

Test sail this year the boat you want to buy for next year

Invitation – For those who are contemplating investing in a new boat for 2012 this is an invitation to test sail a FT10. The Flying Tiger 10 PHRF’s 54. Experience what she’s like prior to making a commitment.

Contact Sammy Kashy at 312 375 1696 or smkashy@yahoo.com. Gung Ho is moored in Belmont Harbor.

Details:

Equipment:

TackTick Wind, Speed, Depth and Compass (New Compass Unit).

Sails - NP OEM M,J,S plus #4

Tohatsu 9.8 4-Stroke

WestCoast AB Aluminum Trailer

Full set of cushions

Hall Quick Vang (add on from base boat)

Awlgripped Mast and Boom

Sani-Potty

Marine Radio

Asking: $ 50,500.00 (Note: New FT10 in China, Transported to US, Commissioned, and equiped as above (w/o sails) costs approx $94,000)

Optional:

EPIRB

Stone cliff is very nice but far from the "action"

You'll spend a small fortune in time and money on carriages going back and forth between the condo and the town

There is that realyl slick place right above Shepplers ferry dock - Beverator had it for the 100th and threw an SA party there to rival all others - Great deck ...from what I remember - which is not much

There is that realyl slick place right above Shepplers ferry dock - Beverator had it for the 100th and threw an SA party there to rival all others - Great deck ...from what I remember - which is not much

Did you pull a knife on any of the guests?

Did you pull a knife on any of the guests?

Nope not a one ...probably cause no one laid an unfriendly hand on me ... I guess everyone likes you when you show up with a case of MG Special Reserve...

alright, what the hell happened at Columbia last night?

this could be interesting

I was at COLYC last night and nothing was happening when I left at 1030pm.

Special request - three friends are coming in to do some sailing Verve weekend and are looking for some sort of housing / guest room / couch surfing arrangement, emphasis on cheap. Near Belmont Harbor would be ideal. If anyone could provide a home for these wayward sailors, please contact me either on Facebook or at kaspar.mike at gmail.com.

Thanks much in advance.

I have an iron clad alibi from 9:30pm til 6am

Special request - three friends are coming in to do some sailing Verve weekend and are looking for some sort of housing / guest room / couch surfing arrangement, emphasis on cheap. Near Belmont Harbor would be ideal. If anyone could provide a home for these wayward sailors, please contact me either on Facebook or at kaspar.mike at gmail.com.

Thanks much in advance.

Offshore or Inshore T-Mike?

My Shore bag was lost at the Island House during the Port Huron to Mac race sometime between 9 a.m. Wensday July 20th and 4 a.m. Monday July 25th.

Large blue water restraint Gill duffle bag, grey handles.

GILL printed on sides, Paper Ferry contact card may be on handle.

If you know of the whereabouts of my bag please PM me.

Thanks

-Patrick

Did someone shit in the urinal again?

I actually saw that shit, and it was a sight to be seen.

Fortunately, I left just before he "incident." Short version: some jackass stole the rum from the Erica guys and as it turns out, also robbed stuff from the gear bags of several guests. There was an altercation outside of the clubship and one member (who I'm told is OK) really got hurt. There is still an investigation ongoing, but suffice it to say, the kid involved in this thing is a real d-bag. If anyone had any stuff stolen, please let me know or contact Columbia management so we can get it written up.

Fortunately, I left just before he "incident." Short version: some jackass stole the rum from the Erica guys and as it turns out, also robbed stuff from the gear bags of several guests. There was an altercation outside of the clubship and one member (who I'm told is OK) really got hurt. There is still an investigation ongoing, but suffice it to say, the kid involved in this thing is a real d-bag. If anyone had any stuff stolen, please let me know or contact Columbia management so we can get it written up.

I'm assuming you're leaving names out intentionally, so I won't press on that. But was the jackass involved a sailor or just someone that weaseled his way into Columbia? And was the guy who stole shit the same one who assaulted the Columbia member? And finally, is the kid arrested (or did someone at least land a few blows on this punk)?

Thanks much in advance.

Offshore or Inshore T-Mike?

Weekend of Aug. 19-21.

I'm assuming you're leaving names out intentionally, so I won't press on that. But was the jackass involved a sailor or just someone that weaseled his way into Columbia? And was the guy who stole shit the same one who assaulted the Columbia member? And finally, is the kid arrested (or did someone at least land a few blows on this punk)?

Was this all apart of some long standing battle between rival crews?

Just had this weird image of a T-10 with compartments that open on the hull where spinning razors come out, just like the car in Grease. Winward boat doesn't come up during the start, a big gash in the port side.

Man, I just referenced Grease.

Yeah, I don't want to mention it here... The jackass was not a sailor, but I think he has friends in the scene. I have some theories about one boat he may have been on at one time or another, but even with that said, he did weasel his way into Columbia and actually tried to break in again after being kicked out. The guy who stole stuff was definitely the same one who assaulted the member, but it is possible that more than one person was involved in the stealing. He was not arrested, but the police did come and they did write a report. I am hoping that there is eventually an arrest, but I don't have any knowledge of things actually moving in that direction.

No, definitely not. This guy didn't have a clue who anyone was.

Just had this weird image of a T-10 with compartments that open on the hull where spinning razors come out, just like the car in Grease. Winward boat doesn't come up during the start, a big gash in the port side.

Well, I'd prefer the James Bond Aston Martin from Goldfinger; dumping oil, used condoms and other random debris in our wake.

Yeah, I don't want to mention it here... The jackass was not a sailor, but I think he has friends in the scene. I have some theories about one boat he may have been on at one time or another, but even with that said, he did weasel his way into Columbia and actually tried to break in again after being kicked out. The guy who stole stuff was definitely the same one who assaulted the member, but it is possible that more than one person was involved in the stealing. He was not arrested, but the police did come and they did write a report. I am hoping that there is eventually an arrest, but I don't have any knowledge of things actually moving in that direction.

Well, I'd prefer the James Bond Aston Martin from Goldfinger; dumping oil, used condoms and other random debris in our wake.

I'm not usually an aggressive person, but I hope he gets the living tar beat out of him.

I'm not usually an aggressive person, but I hope he gets the living tar beat out of him.

I feel the same way. I had two conversations with this particular person on Wednesday. There is no doubt in my mind that he will definitely cross paths with someone who will actually do that to him; I just hope when it happens, he is in jail already.

Perhaps its time to ressurect the old SA BOOT IN THE NUTS!!!!

Chaos

Couldn't help but read the "learned to sail in a dinghy" thread/poll. I too didn't get into sailing until my 20's. I have made a nice little home on the pointy end of a few boats, but rarely do I have the opportunity to "get" how the boat works like a dinghy sailor would.

As I don't see myself purchasing a boat anytime soon, is there any way to get dinghy and/or helm experience in Chicago if you're not in some junior program?

If so, does it require me to be in full wetsuit after October and before May?

Couldn't help but read the "learned to sail in a dinghy" thread/poll. I too didn't get into sailing until my 20's. I have made a nice little home on the pointy end of a few boats, but rarely do I have the opportunity to "get" how the boat works like a dinghy sailor would.

As I don't see myself purchasing a boat anytime soon, is there any way to get dinghy and/or helm experience in Chicago if you're not in some junior program?

Chicago Yacht Club Bellmont station fall and spring frostbiting is open to non members as skippers or crew (crew all the time) It has a 420 rental program on a per day basis. You can also try and hook up with a V15 owner as crew. In the case of v15s there is also a fleet at Montrose.

Robin

please do bring a hottie, it makes crash boat so much more enjoyable.

JD does not have the Vangaurd anymore. He does have a Musto drysuit if you think it would fit. And promise to not to pee in it.

So I'll have to get cold, huh? Nothing in the summer?

Any idea on how to get on a laser?

Dunno how many Thursday nights are left up at Montrose. One perhaps... ask nice and you can probably hop on a Vanguard or Laser. Can you get there around 5:30?

Jeff,

I am very happy for you that you want to step up and advance your sailing knowledge/experience!

As such, I'll give you some advice, from my own personal background/experience.

There are two kinds of sailors: Mechanical and technical. Obviously with your post you want to become a technical sailor. 90% of sailors are mechanical...they know how sails go up and down, they know basic sail trim, they know abit about heel, and mostly they are re-active instead of pro-active (take the tell-tales off of the jibs, and that will REALLY separate Mech/vs Tech!). But if you ask them "How do you think the main looks?" they have NO idea....

A 420 will help you with helming, but that's about it. Get an Etchell's (a Star is my first choice, but no active fleet around). You need a main whereby ALL the controls are at your fingertips..outhaul, vang, cunningham, sheet, even halyard tension...jib halyard tension, backstay, mast controls (Uppers and lowers), traveller. Race and race, learn from others. Pro-active reactions come very quickly.

I race and have raced with people that have been racing for a very long time, and are and forever will be locked into Sailing 103. And they are comfortable with that, which is okay by me. Happy to hear you want to be a "Really good" sailor versus a "good" sailor. Getting my first Star when I was 26 was the best thing I ever did to break me out of the mechanical mode. Not there's anything wrong with that...

ID

So I hope COL did ok in trying conditions.

There is definitely a keg tommorrow. I hope you guys will come over to help drink it. I am told it will be on the dock right after racing. It might be lite. I may drink the whole thing,

I owe Imedi beers!

Jim

Jeff,

I am very happy for you that you want to step up and advance your sailing knowledge/experience!

There are two kinds of sailors: Mechanical and technical. Obviously with your post you want to become a technical sailor. 90% of sailors are mechanical...they know how sails go up and down, they know basic sail trim, they know abit about heel, and mostly they are re-active instead of pro-active (take the tell-tales off of the jibs, and that will REALLY separate Mech/vs Tech!). But if you ask them "How do you think the main looks?" they have NO idea....

A 420 will help you with helming, but that's about it. Get an Etchell's (a Star is my first choice, but no active fleet around). You need a main whereby ALL the controls are at your fingertips..outhaul, vang, cunningham, sheet, even halyard tension...jib halyard tension, backstay, mast controls (Uppers and lowers), traveller. Race and race, learn from others. Pro-active reactions come very quickly.

I race and have raced with people that have been racing for a very long time, and are and forever will be locked into Sailing 103. And they are comfortable with that, which is okay by me. Happy to hear you want to be a "Really good" sailor versus a "good" sailor. Getting my first Star when I was 26 was the best thing I ever did to break me out of the mechanical mode. Not there's anything wrong with that...

ID

Jeff,

ID

Jeff,

Try to do fall frostbiting at Chicago YC Belmont this fall. The water is plenty warm. It use to cost 150 bucks for the 8 weeks of racing. Sail every Sunday. Free soup included after racing. Cost included use of a Club 420. You could also do a rent-as-you-go option. Jill and I did this for years. You need a dry/wet suit in the spring.

Give it a try. The RC is amazing, we would sometimes get 6 races in each day.

Hippie.

Guys, thanks for the input. I think I may try frost biting this fall.

Don't forget the hottie... :ph34r:

Guys, thanks for the input. I think I may try frost biting this fall.

Don't forget the hottie... :ph34r:

+1

Jeff,

ID

Very well said Irish Driver.

However, I think there is another catagory of "obedient servent" who calls themselves' a good sailer because they can respond to: ease the jib, traveler up, etc

All right kids, if I were to have a bar show the AC world series on the TV's would you be interested? Sure we would have a wee delay as they are not in the States... Yet.

PM me or here on SA I have a bar that would be willing to give us there TV's for replays and live if they are available.

Yes/No?

Anybody not doing the Zukasky doing a booze cruise on Saturday? Looking for a ride - I'll buy the booze and snacks

Anyone out there looking for crew for the Tri-State? I typically work mast or pit but I'm okay trimmer/ grinder as well. I will bring food and beer/ rum as well. Thanks all.

How do you look in a bikini?

Well, the women seem to flock for some reason

post-52318-073925100 1313116656_thumb.jpg

Tri State / Bi State. A bunch of my Mac crew have talked me into entering the boat this year but I'm really having a hard time signing up for either race. I'd really appreciate any advice or direction. Also, schedules are tight and most want to be back in Chicago Sunday night. What portion of the fleet sails back Sunday versus heading to MI City.

Tri State / Bi State. A bunch of my Mac crew have talked me into entering the boat this year but I'm really having a hard time signing up for either race. I'd really appreciate any advice or direction. Also, schedules are tight and most want to be back in Chicago Sunday night. What portion of the fleet sails back Sunday versus heading to MI City.

Currently there are 19 signed up for the bi-state and 41 signed up for the St. Joe to Mich city leg of the Tri-State. The Bi-state siphons off some of the fleet and splits it. The Bi-state is bad for the fleet and breaks tradition of the Tri-State. (62 boats are signed up for the chicago-St. Joe leg)

Tri-State party info:

St. Joe River YC

http://www.sjryc.com/

Fancy-pants cover band. Very entertaining for your racing dollar. We'll see if beer prices have gone up. (Remember YC dudes, we know this is your biggest fundraiser of the Summer , but don't gouge us!)

Please pace yourself on Saturday-day. Don't be that guy that gets hammered by 11am & passes out in front of the Boy Scouts selling ice.

Czars 505.

http://www.czars.com/shows.php

This is the basement bar in 'downtown' St. Joe. No acts on the schedule for Saturday nite yet, but something will pop up. We saw an awesome Rolling Stones tribute band there about 3-4 years ago, it was totally excellent. Head over there after the YC party to finish the night off right & really WORK that hangover for Sunday's drifter to MC!

Michigan City YC, Yes, there is one:

http://ussailing.net...Tri%20State.htm

Band is 'The Unit' Cover party band, 3 piece, based on my research. Seems OK. Last time, (2 yrs ago) they had an awesome band we missed for the carnival, Labor DayZ. I would like to patronize the Yacht Club as much as I can on Sunday. They have food & beer, cheep ass American, I hope. (Word to the wise, no package beer sales on Sunday in Indiana, I think)

Matey's

http://mateysrestaur...com/welcome.php

Always an interesting visit over by there.

Carnie special:

http://mcsummerfest....11-brochure.pdf

Labor Dayz, at the park next to the Yacht club. They have a great beer tent, with an old Chicago rock band called M & R Rush. BIG-ass beerZ & classic rock, 'nuff said.

That's all I got. We'll be on Circus for the duration of the weekend with a bunch of jackasses. Looking forward to it!

Jim 'Clown' Calto

The beach, on Saturday, have been known for a decent party, or two...strictly BYOB.

There's a semblance of cutthroat volleyball games, but really it's just for the bottle of rum.

Tri-State party info:

St. Joe River YC

http://www.sjryc.com/

Fancy-pants cover band. Very entertaining for your racing dollar. We'll see if beer prices have gone up. (Remember YC dudes, we know this is your biggest fundraiser of the Summer , but don't gouge us!)

Please pace yourself on Saturday-day. Don't be that guy that gets hammered by 11am & passes out in front of the Boy Scouts selling ice.

Czars 505.

http://www.czars.com/shows.php

This is the basement bar in 'downtown' St. Joe. No acts on the schedule for Saturday nite yet, but something will pop up. We saw an awesome Rolling Stones tribute band there about 3-4 years ago, it was totally excellent. Head over there after the YC party to finish the night off right & really WORK that hangover for Sunday's drifter to MC!

Michigan City YC, Yes, there is one:

http://ussailing.net...Tri%20State.htm

Band is 'The Unit' Cover party band, 3 piece, based on my research. Seems OK. Last time, (2 yrs ago) they had an awesome band we missed for the carnival, Labor DayZ. I would like to patronize the Yacht Club as much as I can on Sunday. They have food & beer, cheep ass American, I hope. (Word to the wise, no package beer sales on Sunday in Indiana, I think)

Matey's

http://mateysrestaur...com/welcome.php

Always an interesting visit over by there.

Carnie special:

http://mcsummerfest....11-brochure.pdf

Labor Dayz, at the park next to the Yacht club. They have a great beer tent, with an old Chicago rock band called M & R Rush. BIG-ass beerZ & classic rock, 'nuff said.

That's all I got. We'll be on Circus for the duration of the weekend with a bunch of jackasses. Looking forward to it!

Jim 'Clown' Calto

If you're not already aware...

Chicago Grade 2 Invitational has the windward mark set 30 feet from Navy Pier

We are also streaming LIVE online at www.chicagocup.org

Yesterday's Highlights:

post-54932-066696300 1313247540_thumb.jpg

post-54932-048861800 1313247548_thumb.jpg

Hi guys, I'm looking for a ride for Verve. Just found out my regular ride will still be in Michigan.

My birthday is Thursday and I have been looking forward to this race all summer long. (sob)

Willing to bring bday cake/booze. Willing to sit with two inches of my ass on the rail or do bow/mast/pit/spin. Did bow on dip-pole for a few years and pit on an end-for-end this year. .

Nice piece of video. Much better music than "in-between" races yesterday.

I watched a good portion of yesterdays action and really enjoyed it. Thanks!

For those that knew John Sweeney, Alice is having a memorial gathering and toast on Saturday after Verve racing from 5:30 to 6:30 on the Columbia dock. In the rail deck if it is raining.

We met John thru Karen Utterback years ago. He sailed with us and on Serri when he was in town. He lived in Annapolis and Boston. He also sailed with us at KWRW and on the Bermuda Race last summer. He died this past winter. He was in his mid fifties.

If you knew him, or of him, stop by.

Ted

Another beautiful wednesday night of racing! Gotta love the "R/C,Please acknowledge...p. Lewis's Birthday", hilarious. A beautiful evening, and No Bugs! Thanks to those that made it happen, and continue to do so!

Who is doing Leukemia Cup? Who is sailing the Sunday after Leuk? Who is still looking for tri-state rides? There are some rides out there. Who is doing the Chicago Triathlon? Are you nuts?