Chicago Area III

How wasTerry last night? I would have gone, but I'm sick as fuck. No one needs this shit, or to hear me coughing, or hear me anything really... Will we see him on the Max86 this summer?

Pretty cool, he went through that video where he was miced up for the whole race and explained a lot of what he was thinking and what they were trying to do.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks.  Jon Santarelli was one of ours.  One of the Area 3 good guys. We sailed may miles together and drank many different types of alcoholic drinks together.  We did Macs on Goblin together an

I do love it and the factors you lay out have very little to do with my love it. - Low turn out. : whether there are 8 boats in my class to race against or 16, we are still racing just as hard.

Allan Teske crossed the bar on April 30th. Others are more familiar with his accomplishments than myself, so feel free to add anything I missed Over 50 Chicago Macs Master Mariner

Posted Images

Facts my man, facts.

J/105 right? In 2015 Q boats went 1,2,3,5,6 at NA's in San Fran, 2 in the top 5 in 2016.

I've had Q and NS, both great. NS has won a few races too, since you picked J/105 - note 2016 NA's.

http://www.offshoreonedesign.com/OffshoreOneDesignClasses/J105/tabid/40099/language/en-US/Default.aspx

North J105 16.pdf

Facts my man, facts.

J/105 right? In 2015 Q boats went 1,2,3,5,6 at NA's in San Fran, 2 in the top 5 in 2016.

I've had Q and NS, both great. NS has won a few races too, since you picked J/105 - note 2016 NA's.

http://www.offshoreonedesign.com/OffshoreOneDesignClasses/J105/tabid/40099/language/en-US/Default.aspx

How much is Perry paying you?

Anyways everyone is invited to the seminars, even if you use inferior sails. ;)

We have all seen poorly cut sails where they are hard to trim and get good pointing, especially on misfit toy PHRF boats. At a national level OD regatta, I'd say the winning has more to do with tactics and boat handling if both boats are running new North or Quantum sails...

Is there a difference? Sure. Is it noticeable enough to impact a race result? Na, otherwise there would be no argument of which one to buy.

It matters more that the crew slammed the jib in, in light air, or didn't put enough wraps on in a blow, or has the car setting wrong. Same goes for the driver when he has the rudder stalled when he should be calling for the trav down or main twisted off...

• Downvote 1

The last North J-105 jib I saw was fast and also very fast in delaminating into a pile of shreds on the foredeck.

The fastest J-105 in Chicago is Doyle and the second and third fastest are UK, at least they were as of last year. Last year only the Doyle jib on Sealark was carbon; I'm pretty interested to see how the other manufacturers' carbon jibs work out.

Since we are on the topic of sails here's an interesting one....

How often should your replace sails to be competitive at a local and a national level if you sail a "typical" season with them.

Every 2 years? Every 3? 5?

Is it fleet dependent? Certainly the result of old sails is more obvious upwind in OD than PHRF...

Since we are on the topic of sails here's an interesting one....

How often should your replace sails to be competitive at a local and a national level if you sail a "typical" season with them.

Every 2 years? Every 3? 5?

Is it fleet dependent? Certainly the result of old sails is more obvious upwind in OD than PHRF...

It depends on a lot of factors, goals, budget, fleet,etc. Some boats get new sails every season, some wait until Mother Nature takes the sail down for them. I personally think you should replace all your sails every season, but I may be biased!

How much is Perry paying you?

Anyways everyone is invited to the seminars, even if you use inferior sails. ;)

No biggie, but you're the one who started with the hand picked results from 2015. Anyway, sailmakers highlighting regattas where they've been successful is an old trick, I think NS invented it - and you're continuing the tradition. It's pretty funny in regattas where almost everyone has one brand, almost guaranteeing "podiums."

Like I already said, I've bought Q, NS and other brands - and I was very pleased with Q and NS, both top notch.

North, Quantum, Doyle, and UK all make shit sails... sometimes. North, Doyle, Quantum and UK more often than not make pretty good sails... and some are better for a certain class than others. And each of them occasionally makes something you wish could last forever.

There are few programs in Chicago that could truly tell the difference between the best examples of sailmaker A's product versus sailmaker B's product, where both sailmakers have equivalent experience in that boat type.

As long as you keep your sails fresh (1-2 year replacement cycle depending upon class), and you use a sailmaker that has experience with your boat type and provides appropriate levels of service/attention, you should concentrate your energy more on going out and sailing the damn boat with the same crew, working on mechanics, trim, driving and tactics, than on debating whose FEA model is more accurate or the relative modulii of aramid vs carbon.

Curmudgeon rant over.

Yeah, that's fair. But you are the exception. Not all, but most owners don't give the keys away. Probably 1 in 10 boats or less do that...

And I'm looking for someone in Chicago to give the keys to in order to get a program started...

Details, please? PM me if you like.

Regarding getting interest/new members to sailing, I moved from the UK to Chicago (having raced several types from Lasers up to F40s (and used to teach RYA level sailing)) - I looked into trying to get out on the water here perhaps with a view to buying a boat for few seasons racing, but it seemed there were always hurdles in the way and it wasn't made easy - like most clubs that only allowed members to hire boats, but to even become a member you needed to be nominated/vouched for by two people in the club, (and obviously I don't know anyone in Chicago), plus you need to sit an interview!? It just really turned me off the idea of joining.

Luckily I met a friend of a friend who was looking for someone to sail with and give a bit more hands-on instruction I eventually got out on the water, but not for racing which I do miss.

So in short I can easily see why people think and understand why sailing and participation is dropping in Chicago.

Regarding getting interest/new members to sailing, I moved from the UK to Chicago (having raced several types from Lasers up to F40s (and used to teach RYA level sailing)) - I looked into trying to get out on the water here perhaps with a view to buying a boat for few seasons racing, but it seemed there were always hurdles in the way and it wasn't made easy - like most clubs that only allowed members to hire boats, but to even become a member you needed to be nominated/vouched for by two people in the club, (and obviously I don't know anyone in Chicago), plus you need to sit an interview!? It just really turned me off the idea of joining.

Luckily I met a friend of a friend who was looking for someone to sail with and give a bit more hands-on instruction I eventually got out on the water, but not for racing which I do miss.

So in short I can easily see why people think and understand why sailing and participation is dropping in Chicago.

This is not because of the club structure, this has to do with the U.S. tax system. 501c4 and 501c7 not-for-profit corporations are to grow through peer to peer contact. You're a member of ABCYC, we meet on the dock and both have interests in sailing and you invite me to join your yacht club. And yes, the yacht clubs have a process of vetting their candidates a bit. They want assurances that their new members are interested in boating (not just fork and knife) and will contribute to the success of their clubs. However, they are not to mass market membership through advertisements, Groupon, or other steps that are reserved for "for-profit" corporations. Don't blame the clubs for this scenario.

I think posting on here can probably help you in getting involved in racing again... a number of owners or er, "boat organizers", show up from time-to-time here and might contact you if you provide more background.

PM me, we can always use people.

Our North sails propel us to the front of the pack. Higher and faster...and some slower moving, crew that is.

I've tried em all, they all suck.

smiley-laughing-out-loud.png

You're kidding, right??????

Your sails propel you???

I guess you can be replaced then?????

I've been wanting to bring my boat out to Chi Town for the Verve but, I'm not sure what the PHRF fleet for the 135 range might be.

I'll pit my team against you and your North Groupies any day.

ag

MORF (Midwest Open Racing Fleet) is a 40 boat fleet running 36 races this summer, mostly off Burnham harbor, with skippers always looking for crew. Joining as a crew member is optional, for $25/season you get on the emailing list. Have a look at the MORF website, particularly the latest news items. If you sign up for the crewpool ([email protected]) we'll hook you up with a boat looking for crew: whether you become a member or not. Why so cheap? We don't have a building, a bar, or employees; we're all volunteers and we just race and party once a month or so. Many of the MORF boats belong to the local yacht clubs with the crew coming, post race, as guests.

http://morfracing.org MORF website

http://morfracing.org/N/133 MORF New Racer Series

http://morfracing.org/N/134 MORF Crew Meetup - Weathermark Tavern 6pm Wed April 5
[email protected] email to the MORF Secretary (me).

[email protected] email to sign up for the crewpool

email me if you have questions,

Peter

Some news from CASRA re: attracting new sailors and bringing back others who've drifted away. FWIW http://chicagosailracing.org/#about

I'm sure the bashers will be along shortly...

CASRA & WESTREC UNITE TO GROW CHICAGO SAIL RACING April 5, 2017

CASRA is working to make our sport more accessible and fun. In its inaugural season, CASRA has partnered with Westrec Marinas to offer new Casual Races to the Chicagoland boating community. This new Casual Series will offer six races, including the following:

• Abe Jacobs Regatta - Sunday, June 24th, 2017
    Hosted by Burnham Park Yacht Club
  • Columbia Yacht Club Casual Race - Sunday, July 9th, 2017
    Hosted by Columbia Yacht Club
  • Verve Cup Casual Race - Saturday, August 12th, 2017
    Hosted by Chicago Yacht Club
  • Air Show Regatta - Sunday, August 20th, 2017
    Hosted by Burnham Park Yacht Club & Jackson Park Yacht Club
  • Hobelman Regatta Casual Race - Sunday, August 27th, 2017
    Hosted by Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club
  • Chicago Regatta Casual Race - Saturday, September 9th, 2017
    Hosted by Chicago Yacht Club

These races are designed to be fun and easy for new and experienced racers alike. All races will start at 12:30 PM, to allow more time for racers to get on the water. Races will be approximately 7-11 miles, and will end by 4:00 PM. All six races will be free to all boats renting moorings from Westrec in the Chicago harbor system.

Starting procedures are simple and easy to understand. The start line will open at 12:30 PM and close at 1:00 PM, and boats may cross the start line any time during that half-hour period. The Race Committee will record each boat’s start time, and subtract it from its finish time. The Race Committee will use the resulting elapsed time to score the race. CASRA will offer informal ratings for all boats free of charge, so new racers need not pay for a rating certificate. Yacht clubs will separate new racers from experienced racers, to the extent possible. Each sponsoring yacht club will host a fun party and awards event after each race.

Easy. Fun. Simple. If you are new to the sport, this is a great way to try sailboat racing. If you are an experienced racer, this is a great chance to have some fun on the water, and introduce less experienced people to the sport. Watch for further information in the coming weeks at chicagosailracing.org, and special thanks to Westrec Marinas – CASRA’s first Gold Level sponsor – for making this new series possible!

LEARN TO SAIL & RACE WITH EXPERIENCED SAILORS & RACERS April 3, 2017

All five founding clubs that created CASRA (Chicago Area Sail Racing Association) have races scheduled all season long. See the 2017 race schedule at chicagosailracing.org. For those wanting to learn to sail and race in these events, check out the programs of the CASRA clubs below.

Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club Sailing Crew Training PrograM

Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club’s “Crew School” is a hands-on training program for anyone who is interested in learning the skills to become a valued crew member on a racing sailboat. Crew School is held on six consecutive Wednesdays from April 5 through May 10. Experienced skippers at CCYC will introduce you to nautical terms, points of sail and sail trim, crew roles and responsibilities, behavior on board, what to wear, safety equipment, racing rules and more!! At the end of Crew School, graduates will be introduced to racing skippers at CCYC, and will have an opportunity to begin racing immediately!

Click here to learn more, email [email protected] or call 773-334-9100, ext 707.

Chicago Yacht Club Crew U

Chicago Yacht Club Crew U is a seven-week program that starts in May and goes through June. This class is led by members of the Chicago Yacht Club who offer their boats and wisdom to help you get the skills you need to crew on a boat. The course includes some classroom instruction, but the vast majority is taught on the water. The classes are held on Tuesday nights, and many students get additional practical experience racing on offshore boats during Wednesday night racing. If you are interested in being part of yacht racing on Lake Michigan, this is a great way to up your experience and build relationships that may yield a position all summer long on one of the boats.

Click here to learn more and to sign up >

Columbia Yacht Club Sailing & Crew Education

Columbia Yacht Club's Skipjacks program is a social introduction to sailing which takes place Tuesday evenings over the course of seven weeks with club member captains doing the on-the-water instruction on their own boats. The class sizes are appropriately sized allowing students to sail on many boats, meeting all captains and students. It’s a tremendously fun program and helps people get comfortable on boats and learn the basics of sailing and racing. Lifelong relationships begin here. Many Skipjacks participants become cruising and/or racing crew with the Columbia captains they meet in the Skipjacks program. This course runs May 9-June 27, 2017, Tuesdays at 6:30pm.

Columbia Yacht Club's Skipjacks Advanced program is an accelerated Keelboat Certification program for those having previously completed the Skipjacks program. This course runs May 23-June 27, 2017, Tuesdays at 6-9pm, or July 25-August 10, 2017 Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6-9pm.

Click here to learn more or email [email protected].

Our North sails propel us to the front of the pack. Higher and faster...and some slower moving, crew that is.

Your sails propel you???

I've been wanting to bring my boat out to Chi Town for the Verve but, I'm not sure what the PHRF fleet for the 135 range might be.

Fuck off newbie.

And I would take you and any inventory of sails you have with any boat and any crew and kick your ...meet wat...or is that butt wad?

Your sails propel you???

Fuck off newbie.

And I would take you and any inventory of sails you have with any boat and any crew and kick your ...meet wat...or is that butt wad?

V15's at Montrose this Sunday. See you there! ;-)

This is cool for kids! 8nm in an Optimist might seem like a Mac to a youngster.

CASRA Yacht Clubs Collaborate to Grow Youth Sail Racing

Following the creation of CASRA by the five premier yacht clubs in Chicago, over the winter representatives got to work on several topics. One being to determine how they could collaborate to extend this passion for sailing and improving the sport to junior sailing in Chicago.

CASRA club reps were joined by our friends at the Chicago Park District Sailing Program, who also run a youth sailing program in the city. Recognizing the need to encourage youth sailors and grow the sport, the five clubs decided to jointly organize and host a new event, Chicago Junior Race Week, this summer. The notices of race are published at www.chicagojrw.com.

This exciting multi-day event will draw youth sailors from ages 7 to 18 from all over the Great Lakes, and beyond, to Chicago for three days of high-caliber racing on Chicagos beautiful lakefront this June and July.

In cooperation with the Sheridan Shores Sailing Schools, the event will kick off with the Mini-Mac - an 8nm distance race for Optimists, Lasers and C420s from Wilmette Harbor to just off of Chicagos Belmont and Montrose Harbors. This distance race down the lakefront will expose youth sailors to distance racing strategy and tactics in a safe manner close to the Illinois shore, and will let them get a taste of what many of their families get to experience in the Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac a few weeks later as well as during the many other distance races run by other clubs in Chicago and throughout the Great Lakes. The Mini-Mac is an optional part of the Race Week and will be particularly fun for those who participate in the Wente Cup at Sheridan Shores held June 28-29.

Following the Mini-Mac, on July 1 and 2 youth racers in Optimists, C420s, 420s and Lasers, as well as Beginning Racers who may be attending their first regatta will enjoy two days of high-caliber, fun fleet racing in Chicago. Optimist sailors will race out of Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club in Montrose Harbor, while C420s, 420s and Lasers will be racing out of Chicago Yacht Clubs Belmont Station in Belmont Harbor. At the end of the regatta, an overall winner of the Chicago Junior Race week will be announced.

For those youth sailors new to racing, perhaps attending their first regatta or just dipping their toes into competitive sailing, Jackson Park Yacht Club will host a Beginner Racer class in the protected waters of Jackson Parks Outer Harbor. Sailors of almost any ability level, in any type of singlehanded youth dinghy, will get to try out racing and see what their older or more experienced friends love so much about the sport. This is another way the five Chicago yacht clubs are trying to share our passion for the sport of sailing with all sailors, of all ability levels.

The five clubs will bring their combined resources to bear to ensure that this event is world-class. These clubs have tremendous race committees and judges, dedicated volunteers both on the water and off, and great facilities on Chicagos lake front, supported by top-notch professional staff. Our friends in the power fleets and cruising sail fleets of our clubs will be supporting this event, as they do all the racing events at our clubs, through their volunteer time and great support on the water.

Families of youth sailors will get to experience Chicago in the summer, over a holiday weekend, and all that it has to offer visitors. Members of the five organizing clubs will take families out on the water to help them see their kids race. Coupled with fun social events at the host clubs, this will be an excellent way for racers and their families to enjoy a fun weekend of racing in Americas greatest summer city.

Growing participation in the sport of sail racing has to include starting at the bottom - in the next generation of sailboat racers. By offering fun, competitive racing in a world-class city, the five clubs comprising CASRA are working towards providing a great experience for youth sailors, helping them to develop a life-long passion for the sport.

Registration for Chicago Junior Race Week is open now at www.chicagojrw.com or via yachtscoring.com. We encourage you to follow us at https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoJRW for the latest information on this great event which will certainly become an annual summer tradition.

chicagosailracing.org | [email protected]

This is cool for kids! 8nm in an Optimist might seem like a Mac to a youngster

"...will expose youth sailors to distance racing strategy and tactics..." Yeah, I can just see the kid on the Opti wondering if he/she is at the crossover point between the A1/A2 "Now where the hell did I put that sail selection chart?" and "Shit, this GRIB file is over 8 hours old!"

But in all seriousness, sounds like a very good idea and a neat long-distance adventure. When I was a kid I got to sail small boats (Lightning, Snipe, CapeDory dinghy) for a few miles on larger inland lakes on occasion - it was "adventure" sailing for a kid, and not something you get from your usual junior sailing program. So - good to see kids get a crack at something like that outside of W/Ls, and without needing a rich Uncle Henry with the lake house to experience.

Obviously, "shadowing" the fleet with support craft is a top priority.

Beyond their banner at the event what does this mean for competitors?

Free keg or rum pour?

T-shirts?

Live band at the party?

None of the above?

Agreed. Let's cut to the chase... What does CASRA support mean for the competitor?

All the meaningful races that used to fall under Area III. Whether they're better or different under CASRA remains an unknown. I might have thought CASRA would communicate (a lot) more, especially in their inaugural year, but maybe that'll come when (more) boats hit Lake Michigan? Or maybe there's more communication within the five yacht clubs? I don't pretend to know...just guessing.

And they've realized that the way to grow the sport in Chicago is by going after the cruisers....

Free keg or rum pour?

T-shirts?

Live band at the party?

None of the above?

Agreed. Let's cut to the chase... What does CASRA support mean for the competitor?

This year it will be more of a background change. Better website, better cooperation between the clubs, better response to changes in the sailing community. My hope is the cooperation leads to better ran races and better turn out between the clubs. Next year I see more changes, mostly aimed at the middle group of sailors to remove barriers to entry and making the experience more enjoyable for those beyond the hardcore group (ie everyone on here). Bridging that gap is one of the ways they will grow sailing locally.

Westrec on board means easier support for regattas for the marinas. Overnight moorings and promotion to a broader audience (all sailboats in Chicago instead of just the racers). They are the 600 pound gorilla in the room, best to have the gorilla moving in your direction.

There's more coming, a lot going on behind the scenes.

And they've realized that the way to grow the sport in Chicago is by going after the cruisers....

Free keg or rum pour?

T-shirts?

Live band at the party?

None of the above?

This year it will be more of a background change. Better website, better cooperation between the clubs, better response to changes in the sailing community. My hope is the cooperation leads to better ran races and better turn out between the clubs. Next year I see more changes, mostly aimed at the middle group of sailors to remove barriers to entry and making the experience more enjoyable for those beyond the hardcore group (ie everyone on here). Bridging that gap is one of the ways they will grow sailing locally.

Westrec on board means easier support for regattas for the marinas. Overnight moorings and promotion to a broader audience (all sailboats in Chicago instead of just the racers). They are the 600 pound gorilla in the room, best to have the gorilla moving in your direction.

There's more coming, a lot going on behind the scenes.

Andy you sure are the optimist. We will have to see what participation looks like this to get an idea what the future for CASRA holds. If more people come out to race that is great but I think a lot of work still needs to be done to get people out.

The 1D35 is someone departing from an older program - I wouldn't call that new blood when boats are struggling to get crew to commit for a full season.

Sure, there may be something going on behind the scenes with CASRA, but where is this sponsorship money going? To a new casual race? Are volunteers suddenly going to get paid or receive incentives? The scene is dependent on volunteers, and you really can run a race for free (I did it for 54 boats in 2014). Maybe CASRA is simply building a bank to invest in something bigger. Until there's some sort of explanation or more transparent communication, I'll continue deleting emails.

89 boats for the Colors on Yacht Scoring. Can't paste the link for some reason so you will have to Google it...

How does that compare from previous years? Seems like a decent turnout and it's early days. Only 1 J/70 registered so I assume the herd will show up on the registration soon enough if this is on their event radar...

I'd be curious to know the average age of crew on Area III boats... I bet it's 40+

Looking around the regatta parties, people either have no hair, gray hair or colored hair.

...and 90% dudes.

Hummmm, I wonder why the younger crowd isn't drawn to the scene when they are used to this....

post-3097-0-98786400-1493221869_thumb.jpg

• Downvote 1

89 boats for the Colors on Yacht Scoring. Can't paste the link for some reason so you will have to Google it...

How does that compare from previous years? Seems like a decent turnout and it's early days. Only 1 J/70 registered so I assume the herd will show up on the registration soon enough if this is on their event radar...

It's exceeding registration rates and breaking previous years' records through proper marketing and communications with the community and stakeholders. It also helps that Skyway is an active title sponsor and is making the most of their relationship to the event as opposed to simply throwing a logo on it. There will be more to come shortly... In the meantime, if you haven't registered, CLICK HERE to do so.

For anyone who is still looking for a Safety at Sea Seminar, there is one being held in Muskegon MI on May 6th Registration deadline is Monday May 1st info and online registration HERE

Hotels are cheap in Muskegon and it is an easy drive around the lake or the Lake Express begins operation on Friday.

Very sorry to hear about the passing of Pik. He was a member of IGSS and had sailed in 46 races. My understanding is that he had sailed in consecutive Chicago Mac races since his first one at age 14. Fair Winds....

How many of the 5 Quantum distance races do we have to do in order to qualify? All 5?

3 are counted, 2 throw outs if you do all 5. Winner gets bitchin' prize. Writing the SI's now everything should be out and set by mid May.

How many of the 5 Quantum distance races do we have to do in order to qualify? All 5?

3 are counted, 2 throw outs if you do all 5. Winner gets bitchin' prize. Writing the SI's now everything should be out and set by mid May.

To be clear, you MUST do all 5?

Do as many as you want, 3 count.

Do as many as you want, 3 count.

Correct, sail what you can and we will score you, whether it's 1 or 5 races.

JT and Pik in the last month. Two pillars of Chicago sailing.

Fair winds...

Makes me think about the sea boot story....

Not sure if I know that one.

But to contribute to stories, I did a mac with Pik on a J105 ('06 or '07, I think). Blew 25kts DDW. Didn't know you could drive a sprit boat by the lee. Pik did it. Haven't seen that since.

CASRA notice and safety have some interesting items:

minimum 4 crew for distance races: any chance of double or single sections being added like COLORS is doing or considering?

Rule 3.24.2: watertight flashlight for every crew member in addition to the spotlight and two for the boat: why add this requirement? Why more flashlights for Waukegan than the Mac Race? Large boats will need a box of flashlights.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:25 PM, NemoUSA59 said:

CASRA notice and safety have some interesting items:

minimum 4 crew for distance races: any chance of double or single sections being added like COLORS is doing or considering?

is "crew" defined? Can pets count as crew?

As explained to judges, and by Dick Rose, all words in the rules are to be interpreted using the dictionary, except those that have their own definitions in the rules book.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/crew?s=t

CREW
noun

1. a group of persons involved in a particular kind of work or working together:
the crew of a train; a wrecking crew.

48 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

As explained to judges, and by Dick Rose, all words in the rules are to be interpreted using the dictionary, except those that have their own definitions in the rules book.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/crew?s=t

CREW
noun

1. a group of persons involved in a particular kind of work or working together:
the crew of a train; a wrecking crew.

If that's the definition then there's a risk even with 6 people on board you dont have the minimum crew :)., even counting 'sailing a boat' as being a particular kind of work...

I'm probably asking a stupid question, but is there a yachtscoring posted yet for the memorial day weekend races (CCYC Spring Opener and CCYC Olympic Cup)? CASRA needs a facebook page for this kind of thing...

14 hours ago, Keysrock35 said:

I'm probably asking a stupid question, but is there a yachtscoring posted yet for the memorial day weekend races (CCYC Spring Opener and CCYC Olympic Cup)? CASRA needs a facebook page for this kind of thing...

Nope

Looks like they started one but not up and running yet: https://www.facebook.com/ChiSailRacing/

17 hours ago, Keysrock35 said:

Key - If you are are having difficultly getting into those races early this season why don't you come join us (MORF) for a few races?  We run 30+ races across the season down at SA7.  Our early schedule is below and everything is at morfracing.org.  A C&C 35 fits right in our 40 boat mixed PHRF fleet.  It's $75 for the whole season for a new, to fleet, boat; no sign-ups, just show up and race.  You can do all the CASRA races you'd like and fill in the other weekends with MORF races as it suits you, we race most Saturdays and Sundays in the season.  You can reach us at [email protected] .

2017 MORF Race Schedule  from morfracing.org

Day Date           Start Time    Area   Series Event
Sat 05/20/17     11:00 AM     SA7    Perf     Performance  Series - Race 1 (Olympic)
Sat 05/27/17     11:00 AM     SA7    Perf     Performance  Series - Race 2 (Trapezoid)
Sun 05/28/17     11:00 AM    SA7    Lady    Lady Skipper Series - Race 1 (Olympic)
Sat 06/03/17     11:00 AM                Perf     Performance  Series - Race 3 UK-Halsey with ColYC Colors
                                                         Perf     Performance  Series - Race 4 UK-Halsey with ColYC Colors
                                                         Spnt    UK-Halsey    Sprint Regatta
Sat 06/10/17     10:00 AM     SA7    Phrf     Long Distance Series - (Zimmer)
                          10:00 AM     SA7    Long   Long Distance Series - Race 1 (Zimmer)
Sat 06/17/17     09:00 AM     SA2    Long   Long Distance Series - Race 2 (to Waukegan)
Sun 06/18/17     09:00 AM    WFM  Long    Long Distance Series - Race 3 (from Waukegan)
Sat 06/24/17     11:00 AM     SA7    Perf     Performance  Series - Race 5 (W-L) Weathermark Sprint
                                              SA7    Perf     Performance  Series - Race 6 (Btrap) Weathermark Sprint
                                              SA7    Wmrk  Weathermark  Sprint Regatta
Sun 06/25/17     11:00 AM    SA7    Lady    Lady Skipper Series - Race 2 (W-L)
                                              SA7    Lady    Lady Skipper Series - Race 3 (BTrap)
Sat 7/01/2017     11:00 AM    SA7   Lady    Lady Skipper Series - Race 4 (Olympic)
Sun 7/02/2017     11:00 AM    SA7  Perf     Performance  Series - Race 7 (Olympic)

14 hours ago, Keysrock35 said:

We still have 15 days til the start of the season, they still have heaps of time to get us all registered, get certs in and checked, waivers, etc. 

You had to know that this was going to be fucked up the first season, don't you remember when they needed Don to take over for the old system, took him a year to get it all straightened out.

They will probably won't have it up in time and will have to do it all by hand for the first 2 days. Luckily, they aren't in charge of another race until Chi-Wau and not very many race those first 2 days.

16 hours ago, Bad Andy said:

Yup, I have seen little to none TOT in Chicago.

I raced one in Michigan City years ago. There was a boat that was rated faster than us that finished behind us, and yet scored ahead. I pointed that out to the race officer, and his reply was that TOT was just weird sometimes. When I tried to demonstrate that TOT can be weird, but not THAT weird, he went back and checked and fixed the times properly.

Thanks for Quantum and Bad Andy spending some time with the J88 fleet.  (2 boats and plenty of breeze.)

Good stuff and a big thanks for Tim and Trip of Windsong for the invite.  Gerry always love sailing with ya bro!!!