Jump to content

Chicago Area III


Recommended Posts

Time to start the rumor mill!

Mackinac Island is on full lockdown. Locals don't want anyone coming from the mainland with the virus. Island is still operating like its January (only mustang lounge open, everything else closed limited ferry schedules). Lilac Festival is canceled (big annual festival in early June).

Good chance the island tells both clubs that they don't want the races to come this year. I've heard CYC is looking at alternate race courses...  

 

So what alternate course would you want to try? Round Manitous and return to Chicago? Touch the Beavers' ferry course and return to Chicago?

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks.  Jon Santarelli was one of ours.  One of the Area 3 good guys. We sailed may miles together and drank many different types of alcoholic drinks together.  We did Macs on Goblin together an

I do love it and the factors you lay out have very little to do with my love it. - Low turn out. : whether there are 8 boats in my class to race against or 16, we are still racing just as hard.

Allan Teske crossed the bar on April 30th. Others are more familiar with his accomplishments than myself, so feel free to add anything I missed Over 50 Chicago Macs Master Mariner

Posted Images

If true (alternate course), I think you run into same issue— not too many places will want 250-300 boats and ~2000 strangers showing up. And that doesn’t solve the on board mixing of people from different cities getting together, sailing, mixing with more folks before and after (not only competitors but hotels, taxis etc) and then scattering home. I just don’t know how you justify it right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lightfoot said:

So what alternate course would you want to try? Round Manitous and return to Chicago? Touch the Beavers' ferry course and return to Chicago?

I once tongue-in-cheek proposed a new course for the Chi-Mac - stay west of Boulder Reef, Gull, Trout, Whiskey, Squaw, Beaver islands, then hard right, leave Lansing Shoal to port and head down the straights. I could  see doing this and then instead of heading towards the bridge, going through Grays Reef Passage southwards, through the 'Tous, and then home. But it would be long...~550 nm.  Certainly more of a navigational challenge though with the reefs/shoals surrounding the Beaver archipelago.  And going south toward Chicago against the nominal SWesterlies could... if they hit 20-25kts as we always wish for the ride north... prove an interesting challenge (bolt over to the Wi shore?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeO said:

I once tongue-in-cheek proposed a new course for the Chi-Mac - stay west of Boulder Reef, Gull, Trout, Whiskey, Squaw, Beaver islands, then hard right, leave Lansing Shoal to port and head down the straights. I could  see doing this and then instead of heading towards the bridge, going through Grays Reef Passage southwards, through the 'Tous, and then home. But it would be long...~550 nm.  Certainly more of a navigational challenge though with the reefs/shoals surrounding the Beaver archipelago.  And going south toward Chicago against the nominal SWesterlies could... if they hit 20-25kts as we always wish for the ride north... prove an interesting challenge (bolt over to the Wi shore?)

Mushrooms or Acid?  I agree with you, it's not going to happen this year.  CYC is not big on risk (or stupidity) and BYC will follow suit.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeO said:

Heh heh... I'll never tell!

You're the most sane sailor I've ever met (Nukes, right?).  I would love the course as would the boat I sailed on (Vagary) we always wanted a mix with enough tactics to reward the smart.  I've raced on SC70s and the Peterson was much more comfortable.  Maybe more family-like given the numbers.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

You're the most sane sailor I've ever met (Nukes, right?).  I would love the course as would the boat I sailed on (Vagary) we always wanted a mix with enough tactics to reward the smart.  I've raced on SC70s and the Peterson was much more comfortable.  Maybe more family-like given the numbers.  

Not nukes, but particle/high energy phys. Not sure about he sane thing though!

Yeah, that "around the top" course would provide a little of everything I think - upwind, off the wind, new navigational challenges (reefs, unfamiliar islands, lights, etc.), probably more opportunities to screw the pooch or pull one out of your ass... definitely a clean slate. Maybe more attractive to boats that aren't "one-trick ponies". But not sure how many Mac racers are really ready for 550 miles... most of us (sanely!) don't bother with the "Super Macs".    With my luck it would be like when you are schdueld to deliver the boat home, have an upwind Mac, then hope for the delivery home it will be downhill, but of course the front passes and wind either shits the bed completely for the next 3 days or blows snot from the south!

Just saw COLORS is now officially "postponed", new date to be determined/announced around the end of May.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about the 3 gong fiasco?

Round the 3 gongs on Lake Michigan, in any order:

18360: South Manitou lighted gong bouy

19625: Indiana Shoal lighted gong bouy

12625 Mackinac Bridge lighte gong bouy 1

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ChiGuy said:

How about the 3 gong fiasco?

Round the 3 gongs on Lake Michigan, in any order:

18360: South Manitou lighted gong bouy

19625: Indiana Shoal lighted gong bouy

12625 Mackinac Bridge lighte gong bouy 1

 

 

 

I dunno I get pretty wiped after three bongs.

 

 

Oh, you said "gongs".

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always wanted to see Sturgeon Bay and Escanaba. It’s a corner of the lake we Mac racers always skip. And can never justify heading that way back on the delivery. But as someone pointed out, rounding anything that far north and returning is a super Mac. There isn’t anything worth rounding and coming back from that keeps the race under 300 nm.

 

which means might was well just do 4 laps of the the Michigan city race course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 10:03 PM, Lightfoot said:

Good chance the island tells both clubs that they don't want the races to come this year. I've heard CYC is looking at alternate race courses...  

So what alternate course would you want to try? Round Manitous and return to Chicago? Touch the Beavers' ferry course and return to Chicago?

I’d much prefer ‘no Mac race due to extraordinary circumstances’ than some ersatz version.

If it does happen, at least CYC will have a legitimate excuse: which is a lot more than the RORC powers-that-be can say for butchering the 2021 and 2023 Fastnets (without members’ input, natch).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 12:26 PM, 40048 said:

Two comments:

If you want to have a higher likliehood of getting some racing in Chicago this summer, get a Laser.  No guarantee but a better chance of racing for them then something with more crew.

Crowley's is currently open for customers on Saturdays and Sundays from 8a to 4p.

 

PM me if you are interested in Laser sailing.  we are looking to start sailing on Lake Opeka starting next Sunday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Looper said:

PM me if you are interested in Laser sailing.  we are looking to start sailing on Lake Opeka starting next Sunday.

90% of people who sail CASRA couldn't rig a Laser, let alone helm one. I'll broaden that statement to to say 50% couldn't helm anything. Comes back to the old conversation of knowing how to sail vs pulling strings on command as a crew.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

90% of people who sail CASRA couldn't rig a Laser, let alone helm one. I'll broaden that statement to to say 50% couldn't helm anything. Comes back to the old conversation of knowing how to sail vs pulling strings on command as a crew.   

Who pissed in your porridge this morning?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

90% of people who sail CASRA couldn't rig a Laser, let alone helm one. I'll broaden that statement to to say 50% couldn't helm anything. Comes back to the old conversation of knowing how to sail vs pulling strings on command as a crew.   

So maybe this is a good time to learn.......

Personally I'm expecting the season to involve more family sailing than usual. It may end up being mainly rabbit starts against friends and taking turns to get out early and set a windward mark, but I'm good with that anyway.  There may me more days learning to sail short handed. Time to figure out all the things we will be able to do rather than stress about the things we may not get to this summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Looper said:

Who pissed in your porridge this morning?

It's SA man! What's wrong with a little jest with some truth woven in. Do you disagree with my back of the napkin estimate? I don't see a lot of Laser sailors in this photo. All I see it a sausage fest that has gone downhill every year since the mid 2000's!

Chicago NOOD.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Looper said:

PM me if you are interested in Laser sailing.  we are looking to start sailing on Lake Opeka starting next Sunday.

Lots of other boats besides Lasers as well. Dingy sailing will be the first to come back this year. Grab one and the big boat sailors will learn a lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kru said:

all events on the 2020 CASRA calendar through Friday, June 19th will be cancelled or postponed.

https://chicagosailracing.org/news

No real news there  - NOOD and COLORS already announced postponements, and the other two races, well they were scheduled before the harbors were set to open anyhow.

Leading from behind...

Link to post
Share on other sites

this is big:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1102285884509&ca=91c1555d-e200-4fcd-86b8-f1b3592e531c

It is likely that Mackinac Island will start opening in the 3rd week of June.  This is three weeks before the 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race and is adequate time for us to run the Race. Due to this compressed timing there will be some required adjustments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SailChiTown said:

this is big:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1102285884509&ca=91c1555d-e200-4fcd-86b8-f1b3592e531c

It is likely that Mackinac Island will start opening in the 3rd week of June.  This is three weeks before the 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race and is adequate time for us to run the Race. Due to this compressed timing there will be some required adjustments.

Big or short-sighted? Let's consider the number of international sailors who come in for the Macs and then look at the boats with 10+ crew members. Regardless of when the end of the stay-home orders takes place, we'll need to take social distancing into consideration. It's simply unwise to pack people of different households on a boat for 40+ hours and send them to an island with limited hospital resources or send them back to their hometowns as carriers increasing the spread. Then look at the population of sailors racing who are over 50yo and have underlying conditions. 

From a PR standpoint, I'd rather take a hard pass on running a race this year than chance being the next source of an outbreak. Which headline would you prefer?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, spring fever said:

Big or short-sighted? Let's consider the number of international sailors who come in for the Macs and then look at the boats with 10+ crew members. Regardless of when the end of the stay-home orders takes place, we'll need to take social distancing into consideration. It's simply unwise to pack people of different households on a boat for 40+ hours and send them to an island with limited hospital resources or send them back to their hometowns as carriers increasing the spread. Then look at the population of sailors racing who are over 50yo and have underlying conditions. 

From a PR standpoint, I'd rather take a hard pass on running a race this year than chance being the next source of an outbreak. Which headline would you prefer?

I'll just say, you do you. I, for one, will go if the race is running. that goes for Chi-MAC too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SailChiTown said:

I'll just say, you do you. I, for one, will go if the race is running. that goes for Chi-MAC too.

I have asthma and am tired of not being able to see my parents (one is super high-risk), so there's no question about it. 

The initial reopening plan for IL just rolled out as well. It will be interesting to see how quickly we get to phase 4 (gatherings of 50people, bars reopen). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilmette Harbor Opening & Heavy Lift

Wilmette Harbor Club 
 
May 5, 2020

Over the weekend, the State of Illinois issued a Summary of the New Order which included guidelines for marinas. With this new ruling in place, the harbor plans to open for the season on Friday, May 8. Unfortunately, the guidelines continued the requirement of only 2 people per boat. Hopefully, the State will revise this guideline in the near future.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Governor Fatso has been alluding to this in every 7th speech he gave, today he put it all out there:

"Here's the truth, and I don't like it any more than you do," Pritzker said. "Until we have a vaccine, or an effective treatment ... the option of returning to normalcy doesn't exist. We have to figure out how to live with COVID-19 until it can be vanquished."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SailChiTown said:

Wilmette Harbor Opening & Heavy Lift

Wilmette Harbor Club 
 
May 5, 2020

Over the weekend, the State of Illinois issued a Summary of the New Order which included guidelines for marinas. With this new ruling in place, the harbor plans to open for the season on Friday, May 8. Unfortunately, the guidelines continued the requirement of only 2 people per boat. Hopefully, the State will revise this guideline in the near future.

The two per boat is a little odd, as according to the Q&A it even applies to people in the same household

https://coronavirus.illinois.gov/s/article/Am-I-allowed-to-use-my-boat-now-that-the-weather-is-getting-nicer

I'm guessing this is to make it easier to monitor, but its going to be weird that I can only take my boys out one at a time... oh well more fun sailing than not sailing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Governor Fatso has been alluding to this in every 7th speech he gave, today he put it all out there:

"Here's the truth, and I don't like it any more than you do," Pritzker said. "Until we have a vaccine, or an effective treatment ... the option of returning to normalcy doesn't exist. We have to figure out how to live with COVID-19 until it can be vanquished."

That's no different than what every reputable medical/health expert has been saying. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2020/04/17/exp-tsr-todd-getting-back-to-new-normal.cnn

https://abc7chicago.com/coronavirus-illinosi-illinois-lockdown-in-il/6151243/

You're not going to see regatta parties under tents or elbow-to-elbow scenes at the Pink Pony this year - period. Maybe not even next year. While some social distancing regulations may be RELAXED over the coming months, they won't be REMOVED for far longer than that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

 

Governor Fatso has been alluding to this in every 7th speech he gave, today he put it all out there:

"Here's the truth, and I don't like it any more than you do," Pritzker said. "Until we have a vaccine, or an effective treatment ... the option of returning to normalcy doesn't exist. We have to figure out how to live with COVID-19 until it can be vanquished."

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Grinder said:

Get that fucking shit into political anarchy and out of my fucking thread. 
 

Fuck you.  Is that better?  Didn't know this was YOUR thread!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, QLite said:

Fuck you.  Is that better?  Didn't know this was YOUR thread!

He did start it.  See:  image.png.7a32199b5061b46fe51a308084de91a8.png

 

And actually it goes back even farther than 2011 I am pretty sure.  I think there was a Chicago thread he started WAY, WAY back at the beginning of time that somehow got nuked.  This one was started when that happened.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, QLite said:

Glenn, I'm disappointed with your demeaning reference to our governor!  Approve or disapprove of his handling of this crisis but this reference is below you!

Hey, the neighborhood in my yute, kids called me "Fat Man" for many years.  I can relate!

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Fast Laser said:

We might need a new name for this thread, as AREA III was put to pasture a few years ago :)

Yeah but "CASRA" doesn't resonate with us old farts!

Seriously tho.. as 40048 points out, this thread, under one guise or another,  started by JC,  goes back some ways beyond 2011... it is easily 10+ years old (14? 15?) , and I have no doubt it is the longest running active thread on SA. Not sure if that is something to be proud of or ashamed of!   We'll leave that to the cyber-anthropologists...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any inside intel on how I can get my mast stepped right now (50' and several hundred pounds)? Usually would do it at JPYC or CCYC - not currently an option. I'm giving up my Westrec slip to go to Indiana due to "the current environment" but the Hammond crane is apparently permanently out of commission due to water height. Not allowed to bring the boat in with mast on the deck. Crowleys and Skyway not operating. Considering motoring the 50 mile round trip to Michigan City...  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Governor Fatso has been alluding to this in every 7th speech he gave, today he put it all out there:

"Here's the truth, and I don't like it any more than you do," Pritzker said. "Until we have a vaccine, or an effective treatment ... the option of returning to normalcy doesn't exist. We have to figure out how to live with COVID-19 until it can be vanquished."

He's right, dickweed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fucket said:

He's right, dickweed.

Actually, I think Glen's statement is right as well.  I just did not like Glen's demeaning his statement by referring to the gov as 'Fatso'.

I should have expected name shaming as a norm on SA.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chicago Mac  is getting even more doubtful.  IL Gov ("skinny"?) just announced his five phase plan to eventually "reopen" the state. 

Phase 2 lasts until May 29.  Then maybe Phase 3 can start.  Phase 4, which finally allows travel,  restaurants and gatherings of up to 50 people cannot start until June 26 at best.  The real world - phase 5 can't start until there's a cure or vaccine.

image.png.9ec8879009c8f36dd213e0e9b31477ba.png

Each region has to hit its targets to move to the next phase.  Expect Chicago to lag downstate.

I think we're screwed for the summer

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, GABA said:

Chicago Mac  is getting even more doubtful.  IL Gov ("skinny"?) just announced his five phase plan to eventually "reopen" the state. 

Phase 2 lasts until May 29.  Then maybe Phase 3 can start.  Phase 4, which finally allows travel,  restaurants and gatherings of up to 50 people cannot start until June 26 at best.  The real world - phase 5 can't start until there's a cure or vaccine.

image.png.9ec8879009c8f36dd213e0e9b31477ba.png

Each region has to hit its targets to move to the next phase.  Expect Chicago to lag downstate.

I think we're screwed for the summer

I think Phase 3 could allow a lot of racing to occur.  Gatherings of up to 10 people are allowed.  I would venture that the majority of boats in Chicago can be raced safely with 10 or fewer people.  Will the YC be open?  Probably not.  But that shouldn't stop racing from occuring, should it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 40048 said:

I think Phase 3 could allow a lot of racing to occur.  Gatherings of up to 10 people are allowed.  I would venture that the majority of boats in Chicago can be raced safely with 10 or fewer people.  Will the YC be open?  Probably not.  But that shouldn't stop racing from occuring, should it?

You could race but with YC's closed there would be no social activities. Lots of people sail (NOOD, Mac, Verve, Beer Can) for the social aspect and not the competition. I think it would be hard to get a lot out if we are before Phase 4. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

You could race but with YC's closed there would be no social activities. Lots of people sail (NOOD, Mac, Verve, Beer Can) for the social aspect and not the competition. I think it would be hard to get a lot out if we are before Phase 4. 

So you think "...a lot of people..." presented with the opportunity to get out racing but not being able to socialize would choose to stay in their homes watching TV?  I'm sorry but I have to disagree.  I think "...a lot of people..." would welcome the opportunity to be outside doing something...anything...that is a change of pace.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, QLite said:

Fuck you.  Is that better?  Didn't know this was YOUR thread!

It is Jim's thread. Has been since....... ummmm maybe 2005? I think the original was in the Goblin days. Predates CASRA by well over a decade. The only thing older are your sails... :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GABA said:

Chicago Mac  is getting even more doubtful.  IL Gov ("skinny"?) just announced his five phase plan to eventually "reopen" the state. 

Phase 2 lasts until May 29.  Then maybe Phase 3 can start.  Phase 4, which finally allows travel,  restaurants and gatherings of up to 50 people cannot start until June 26 at best.  The real world - phase 5 can't start until there's a cure or vaccine.

image.png.9ec8879009c8f36dd213e0e9b31477ba.png

Each region has to hit its targets to move to the next phase.  Expect Chicago to lag downstate.

I think we're screwed for the summer

Mac has been dead since March. You can't social distance on a sailboat. Reopening doesn't mean eliminating social distancing. Social distancing will be in place until there is a vaccine is late 2021. End of story.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

You could race but with YC's closed there would be no social activities. Lots of people sail (NOOD, Mac, Verve, Beer Can) for the social aspect and not the competition. I think it would be hard to get a lot out if we are before Phase 4. 

The parties suck! If it was all about going to stand in the parking lot in Monroe I'd never sail again. If you want a good scene hit a local bar or restaurant with your friends. They YC party is not the draw, it the fresh air, sitting to leeward swatting flies, and telling yourself you are participating in a sport and getting exercise. :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Mac has been dead since March. You can't social distance on a sailboat. Reopening doesn't mean eliminating social distancing. Social distancing will be in place until there is a vaccine is late 2021. End of story.

You have to social distance between boats.... I'm expecting to do a lot of double handed sailing this year  :).

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

The parties suck! If it was all about going to stand in the parking lot in Monroe I'd never sail again. If you want a good scene hit a local bar or restaurant with your friends. They YC party is not the draw, it the fresh air, sitting to leeward swatting flies, and telling yourself you are participating in a sport and getting exercise. :lol:

You’re fucking killing me.  You and I ‘may’ be getting older and not wanting to go to the club for a drink or 6 after racing.  That does not mean it doesn’t mean something for others   Think about the newbies, fresh from lean-to-sail class, dying to hang out and soak up the atmosphere and bullshit about sailing?  We were there once and we loved it   They should be allowed that option.  Think of the newbies we need in this sport, not just your old stink-pot loving ass!   
 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Grinder said:

You’re fucking killing me.  You and I ‘may’ be getting older and not wanting to go to the club for a drink or 6 after racing.  That does not mean it doesn’t mean something for others   Think about the newbies, fresh from lean-to-sail class, dying to hang out and soak up the atmosphere and bullshit about sailing?  We were there once and we loved it   They should be allowed that option.  Think of the newbies we need in this sport, not just your old stink-pot loving ass!   
 

 

 

 

 

JC, we are the "young" ones now! It's not like the old days where the ranks were refreshed every season. Sailing hasn't backfilled at the same rate as attrition. I know local 30ish crowd and can count them on two hands. I attribute it to changing interests enhanced by the YC's not evolving and continuing to attract the yuts...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2020 at 10:21 PM, Keysrock35 said:

Anyone have any inside intel on how I can get my mast stepped right now (50' and several hundred pounds)? Usually would do it at JPYC or CCYC - not currently an option. I'm giving up my Westrec slip to go to Indiana due to "the current environment" but the Hammond crane is apparently permanently out of commission due to water height. Not allowed to bring the boat in with mast on the deck. Crowleys and Skyway not operating. Considering motoring the 50 mile round trip to Michigan City...  

You might want to try Skyway

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Canal Street.

Unfortunately, Canal Street won’t help you as you’d need to pass about 24 bridges and they aren’t running lifts yet!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CFS Klopas said:

@Keysrock35 I'm planning to use the Hammond crane this afternoon. The harbormaster didn't know anything about a closure when I spoke to him yesterday.

Spoke to the office today, they also mentioned the high water affecting the mast crane, though my 34' mast was fine.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 3:07 PM, CFS Klopas said:

Spoke to the office today, they also mentioned the high water affecting the mast crane, though my 34' mast was fine.

 

Hmm. I had a frustrating "who's on first" conversation with them about this trying to explain that the mast is 50' but my lift point is at 28'... "how tall is the crane?" I wanted to know. At which point I asked to speak to the harbormaster and was told no because the crane doesn't work at all for any mast. Lol. Perhaps I will try ringing the master. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you the crane is between 45'-49' above the water because they haul me up in a chair once in a while. The harbormaster once told me they don't like to lift masts more than approximately 50' due to weight, regardless of air draft.

He was too busy to handle me last week, will try again starting Wednesday. Due to virus related staffing problems, he only wants to do crane stuff W-F.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sun Times headline.  I think we're all screwed for the summer.

Next phase of reopening Chicago will go slowly, keep lakefront closed, Lightfoot says

During a virtual speech to the Economic Club of Chicago, the mayor said, “Unfortunately at this point, we will not be ready to reopen our lakefront” because a “resurgence in cases is more than a risk.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GABA said:

Sun Times headline.  I think we're all screwed for the summer.

Next phase of reopening Chicago will go slowly, keep lakefront closed, Lightfoot says

During a virtual speech to the Economic Club of Chicago, the mayor said, “Unfortunately at this point, we will not be ready to reopen our lakefront” because a “resurgence in cases is more than a risk.”

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We're up for an unsanctioned race around Lake Michigan, if it's legal to leave our house to have some fun. 

That said, what does SA think about the Coast Guard's role in all of this, and how they would feel about rescuing a Covid patient from a boat in the middle of the lake, perhaps in poor conditions?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

37 minutes ago, 40048 said:

You mean like the original Chicago-Mackinac race in 1911?

:)

 

On 5/2/2020 at 12:16 PM, JoeO said:

I once tongue-in-cheek proposed a new course for the Chi-Mac - stay west of Boulder Reef, Gull, Trout, Whiskey, Squaw, Beaver islands, then hard right, leave Lansing Shoal to port and head down the straights. I could  see doing this and then instead of heading towards the bridge, going through Grays Reef Passage southwards, through the 'Tous, and then home. But it would be long...~550 nm.  Certainly more of a navigational challenge though with the reefs/shoals surrounding the Beaver archipelago.  And going south toward Chicago against the nominal SWesterlies could... if they hit 20-25kts as we always wish for the ride north... prove an interesting challenge (bolt over to the Wi shore?)

And double-handed to make it just a bit of a challenge...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Read a couple of weeks ago that your governor was, "... At an April 25 COVID-19 briefing, Pritzker told reporters that boaters would be subject to a two-person restriction starting May 1."   Was that made official?  Or did he come to his senses and reverse that? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JoeO said:

Maybe Racine YC or SSYC will run a race to Mac this year, since it's open season in Wisconsin now.

Several counties and municipalities have already stepped in with local extensions of the original state order, including Milwaukee and Racine.  I suspect you were just making light of the political follies in WI, but there would certainly be logistical issues to overcome (and I doubt there is enough time left), as well as getting around any contractual terms that are in place between CYC/BYC and State of MI for access to Mac docks, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Read a couple of weeks ago that your governor was, "... At an April 25 COVID-19 briefing, Pritzker told reporters that boaters would be subject to a two-person restriction starting May 1."   Was that made official?  Or did he come to his senses and reverse that? 

That's official and the Q&A indicates that this is independent of whether the two people are in the same household.

It probably wont be overturned in the short term as I suspect its primarily there to help for monitoring and enforcement. its a lot easier to count heads than verify if the 4 -8 people on a boat are all part of the same family.

For now I'm in the not whining too much about it because I'm glad I'll be able to sail at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Read a couple of weeks ago that your governor was, "... At an April 25 COVID-19 briefing, Pritzker told reporters that boaters would be subject to a two-person restriction starting May 1."   Was that made official?  Or did he come to his senses and reverse that? 

https://www2.illinois.gov/dceo/Documents/Boating Fishing Guidelines.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BayRacer said:

Several counties and municipalities have already stepped in with local extensions of the original state order, including Milwaukee and Racine.  I suspect you were just making light of the political follies in WI, but there would certainly be logistical issues to overcome (and I doubt there is enough time left), as well as getting around any contractual terms that are in place between CYC/BYC and State of MI for access to Mac docks, etc.

Tongue was firmly planted in cheek...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Doubtful that SSYC would be in a position to do this.  This morning we received word our slips will not be open this year. 

Long story short, the April 28-May 1 storm un-did much of the progress made trying to restore the damage from the

January 9 storm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JoeO said:

Thanks for posting that.  The governor’s guidelines also state that. “.. Regattas and other competitive boating events that obligate boaters to travel and congregate at a specific and predetermined location and time is prohibited.”   

Illinois is in Phase 2 and when you get to Phase 3 you can have small groups of 10 people or less.  And when you get to Phase 4 you can have groups of 50 people or less.  So, do need to be in Phase 5 to hold travel to and hold a regatta or other boating event?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, garyedelman said:

Doubtful that SSYC would be in a position to do this.  This morning we received word our slips will not be open this year. 

Long story short, the April 28-May 1 storm un-did much of the progress made trying to restore the damage from the

January 9 storm. 

Sorry to hear that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, garyedelman said:

Doubtful that SSYC would be in a position to do this.  This morning we received word our slips will not be open this year. 

Long story short, the April 28-May 1 storm un-did much of the progress made trying to restore the damage from the

January 9 storm. 

Sucks. What can you guys do - slips at MYC, or the marina? Put in a mooring field?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Thanks for posting that.  The governor’s guidelines also state that. “.. Regattas and other competitive boating events that obligate boaters to travel and congregate at a specific and predetermined location and time is prohibited.”   

Illinois is in Phase 2 and when you get to Phase 3 you can have small groups of 10 people or less.  And when you get to Phase 4 you can have groups of 50 people or less.  So, do need to be in Phase 5 to hold travel to and hold a regatta or other boating event?

 

Who knows...

I suppose in Phase 3, YCs can hold races, with no more than 10 crew/boat (sorry TP52s and Super-Maxis...). But YCs stay closed - no pre-race briefings or on-site registration, take-out breakfast only, and then no post-race parties or awards. Limit RC folk to the minimum. protest hearings via ZOOM? It would be a lot like the way it was in the 70s' and 80's - show up at the boat, go out to SA3 and race, then go back to your boat.. hang out there for a bit if you want, then off home. Maybe not a social but you'd get some racing in. The hurdle is still "social distancing" with up to 9 other strangers. How do you keep infected but asymptomatic people from showing up?

Regattas "the old fashioned way" clearly require we be in Phase 5. I don't see Phase 4  being any different from Phase 3 - it doesn't allow YCs to host parties or other gatherings - hard to limit it to 50 peeple - that's like 4-6 boats.

Welcome to the season of anti-social racing. Now we find out who does it for the sailing. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JoeO said:

How do you keep infected but asymptomatic people from showing up? 

Calculated risks, the same way everyone will be acting for the next couple years. Do you imagine your take out is somehow "safe"? Or the grocery store, because it's "essential"?

If anything, socializing with just a small group of people makes contact-tracing the event of illness much easier/quicker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JoeO said:

Maybe Racine YC or SSYC will run a race to Mac this year, since it's open season in Wisconsin now.

RYC is still planning to run The Hook race as a Mac alternative as it has done since ‘84.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Starboard!! said:

Calculated risks, the same way everyone will be acting for the next couple years. Do you imagine your take out is somehow "safe"? Or the grocery store, because it's "essential"?

If anything, socializing with just a small group of people makes contact-tracing the event of illness much easier/quicker.

LOL... I can wipe down my carry out container with clorox wipes... do we wipe down the boat with disinfectant before/after every race? 

When I go to the grocery store I'm not buttcheek-to-buttcheek with a bunch of strangers, and everybody is masked. And I'm only interacting for 20- 30 minutes, not 10 hours.

Socializing with a small group? Do the math  - 9 other people potentially interacting with 10 (max allowed) people per day, is 630 contacts a week... but of course the people they interact with have also been interacting with up to 10 other people and those people have been interacting with 10 other people... it becomes exponential almost immediately. Go ahead and contact trace that - we can't even test everyone yet, let alone on a regular basis as would be needed.

Not to mention the fact that being in contact with others for 10 hours vs 20 minutes (grocery store) leads to a far higher probability of transfer infection.

No, we will not see racing in Chicago/A3 in the "normal" sense this year.

Go sailing with some family members, build a sense of sailing carmraderie with them, try and remember what it's all supposed to be about. Hint - it isn't about the parties.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JoeO said:

LOL... I can wipe down my carry out container with clorox wipes... do we wipe down the boat with disinfectant before/after every race? 

When I go to the grocery store I'm not buttcheek-to-buttcheek with a bunch of strangers, and everybody is masked. And I'm only interacting for 20- 30 minutes, not 10 hours.

Socializing with a small group? Do the math  - 9 other people potentially interacting with 10 (max allowed) people per day, is 630 contacts a week... but of course the people they interact with have also been interacting with up to 10 other people and those people have been interacting with 10 other people... it becomes exponential almost immediately. Go ahead and contact trace that - we can't even test everyone yet, let alone on a regular basis as would be needed.

Not to mention the fact that being in contact with others for 10 hours vs 20 minutes (grocery store) leads to a far higher probability of transfer infection.

No, we will not see racing in Chicago/A3 in the "normal" sense this year.

Go sailing with some family members, build a sense of sailing carmraderie with them, try and remember what it's all supposed to be about. Hint - it isn't about the parties.

If the race is held, I am planning on doing Chicago Mackinac with a crew of eight coming from five households (three parent child combos) all living in the same county where there hasn't been a positive COVID test in 30 days. While there is some risk of the crew infecting each other, I actually think the 8 of us on the crew will face less COVID risk if the race is held than if it wasn't. On a given weekend, the eight of us would likely have exposures to more individuals than we are going to have in the race. The Chicago Mackinac could be our safest weekend of the summer. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Before anyone thinks about racing, you have to get the harbors open. Lightfoot is saying the Lakefront won't open when we hit Phase 3, which might happen at the end of the month. If you do somehow get your boat in the water, the CPD Marine Unit said all recreational boating in Chicago is banned.

You guys night have to hang out with me in Hammond. My main is 20 years old, but it's in the water. Just heard today that the larger slips are now full.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Donkey687 said:

If the race is held, I am planning on doing Chicago Mackinac with a crew of eight coming from five households (three parent child combos) all living in the same county where there hasn't been a positive COVID test in 30 days. While there is some risk of the crew infecting each other, I actually think the 8 of us on the crew will face less COVID risk if the race is held than if it wasn't. On a given weekend, the eight of us would likely have exposures to more individuals than we are going to have in the race. The Chicago Mackinac could be our safest weekend of the summer. 

At first blush that sounds reasonable... esp if all the crew are like "family" (and never leave their county, so never interact with someone from a county with more cases...?)... but what are you going to do when you hit the island and are inundated with a bunch of Michigander/Hoosier tourists who don't believe in social distancing or wearing masks? Your "safest weekend" will then go all to hell.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I left Chicago decades ago. Sad to say, but Illinois will run their finances into the ground with the pandemic (and in good years too). You can bet your boat starts to look really attractive as a new revenue source, come next year. Expect big fees for everything next year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JoeO said:

Sucks. What can you guys do - slips at MYC, or the marina? Put in a mooring field?

The Jan storm opened up some large gape in the harbor wall.  With that and the predicted continued rise in the lake level this year we didnt have a choice in closing the slips until the wall can be repaired. We have approval to put in additional moorings further south where the wall was repaired a few years ago.  People are also moving over to McKinley.  Going to be a tough year for SSYC 

Link to post
Share on other sites