Chicago Area III

25 minutes ago, Lightfoot said:

because it would be one of the largest public areas to easily spread the disease. 

Have you seen how congested the areas just to the west of LSD are?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks.  Jon Santarelli was one of ours.  One of the Area 3 good guys. We sailed may miles together and drank many different types of alcoholic drinks together.  We did Macs on Goblin together an

I do love it and the factors you lay out have very little to do with my love it. - Low turn out. : whether there are 8 boats in my class to race against or 16, we are still racing just as hard.

Who is Marcus Brutus?! He seems so angry about stuff most of the planet cares less about. Based on the above I'm pretty sure he thinks Mount Gay hats are cool and a badge of honor to show Offshore Yac

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CutterCaptain said:

I recall that as part of the justification for creating the 31st St Harbor it was stated that the Park District earns $16M from the Harbor System. (The context was profit, not just revenue.)  With about 5000 permit holders at the time, the math seems reasonable in that they make $3200 on average per mooring/slip holder.

3 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

The city needs the revenue from the yachties though. We pay thousands per season for the docks and the city gets a cut from WestRec. Does anyone want to take a guess at the revenue Chicago Harbors bring in and what percentage the city keeps?

Top line revenue is $26M (slips only, excludes items like second parking passes, ice, other fees).  Divide that out by 183 boating days (5/1-10/31).  That's $142,076 a day or just shy of $1M a week.

We have been issued refunds in the form of credits towards next year since 5/15, meaning 12 days of credits so far - which totals over $1.7M that could have been used to fund park district operations like summer camps, sports and other recreation.  Clearly she doesn't give a shit, but maybe she should.

3 hours ago, sidmon said:

You think any of that matters to anyone in the ultra far left Lightfoot administration?

They have had zero compunction shutting down nearly every revenue stream to the city.

And its there in their words about "non lakefront parks".

The marinas wont open any time soon.

I disagree:

Looks like she went on record to say harbors and lakefront will open early June, Playpen will be closed.

My money is on June 15th.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:yWxKstryLdIJ:https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-chicago-the-playpen-20200522-ge72xvraqzbhfl4a3rlzd2ytre-story.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Hope I'm wrong...

But you are not giving this its due. Especially considering the comments over the last 5 days:

"Lightfoot said the lakefront eventually will reopen but wouldn’t give a date..."

Re-opening the harbors or lakefront in early June would be a mistake. If it were me, I'd pick a date not right after July 4th but reasonably soon after. Maybe the 9th or 10th. I'd also announce it as soon as possible to give people something to look forward to, with the possibility of extending it if new data came in.

I'm also a little disgusted about how little empathy the sailing community seems to possess.

They’ll be a 1pm press conference tomorrow with the Mayor and Arwady showing the updated metrics.  I’d expect that Westrec will be able to provide a harbor opening update shortly thereafter if it’s not already revealed in her presentation or the follow up questions from the press. 

4 minutes ago, fucket said:

Re-opening the harbors or lakefront in early June would be a mistake. If it were me, I'd pick a date not right after July 4th but reasonably soon after. Maybe the 9th or 10th. I'd also announce it as soon as possible to give people something to look forward to, with the possibility of extending it if new data came in.

I'm also a little disgusted about how little empathy the sailing community seems to possess.

Empathy?  I'm sure there are a handful of win at all cost racers that still think sailboat racing is going to happen this year - but i wouldn't clump everyone together.

I have 3 kids and a wife all crammed into our tiny house working and/or going to school.  All day.  Every week day.  Parks, museums, activities, sports...all cancelled.  Some of us have little intention of racing but are praying we get to put put our boats in the water for another place to go and do something.  I don't see how a family of 5 going for a pleasure sail on fair weather day is going to further spread the virus.  If we can social distance at home, we can certainly do it on our boat as well.  The only racing I am doing right now is on my 1 person Laser.  Nothing is more socially distant than that.

26 minutes ago, Looper said:

Empathy?  I'm sure there are a handful of win at all cost racers that still think sailboat racing is going to happen this year - but i wouldn't clump everyone together. 

I have 3 kids and a wife all crammed into our tiny house working and/or going to school.  All day.  Every week day.  Parks, museums, activities, sports...all cancelled.  Some of us have little intention of racing but are praying we get to put put our boats in the water for another place to go and do something.  I don't see how a family of 5 going for a pleasure sail on fair weather day is going to further spread the virus.  If we can social distance at home, we can certainly do it on our boat as well.  The only racing I am doing right now is on my 1 person Laser.  Nothing is more socially distant than that. 

You're right, I misspoke. Sometimes I forget that almost all of the people I talk to are racers. What I should have said was "I'm also a little disgusted about how little empathy the public leadership of the sailboat racing community and far too many of the racing boat owners seem to possess."

And I honestly think that everything involved in racing sailboats (minus the big parties) is so far down the list of things that are likely to spread COVID-19 as to be inconsequential. I worry mainly about everything else - big parties in the playpen, big crowds at the lakefront and, most of all, tons of people heading back and forth on public transit to hang out at the lakefront.

26 minutes ago, Looper said:

Well said Looper, I'm with you 100%!

4 hours ago, fucket said:

You obviously are not a boat owner.

4 hours ago, Looper said:

Well said buddy.

3 hours ago, fucket said:

You're right, I misspoke. Sometimes I forget that almost all of the people I talk to are racers. What I should have said was "I'm also a little disgusted about how little empathy the public leadership of the sailboat racing community and far too many of the racing boat owners seem to possess."

And I honestly think that everything involved in racing sailboats (minus the big parties) is so far down the list of things that are likely to spread COVID-19 as to be inconsequential. I worry mainly about everything else - big parties in the playpen, big crowds at the lakefront and, most of all, tons of people heading back and forth on public transit to hang out at the lakefront.

By the way, I'm not a race boat owner...

1 hour ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

You obviously are not a boat owner.

I am, actually. If I wasn't a boat owner, I wouldn't have all that much to worry about as I could wait and see what the owners of the boats I would race on decide to do, and then figure out for myself when I felt comfortable going out racing. Being an owner means that I have to try and balance risks and rewards for me and my crew in the middle of an amorphous situation with very little in the way of evidence. 

By the way, I'm not a race boat owner...

Maybe I wasn't talking about you, then. 

Over on Lake Huron, BYC sent out this message today. 

“…the USA/Canadian border is closed until at least 21 June 2020.”  “…current Border Restrictions for boaters is defined as entering Canadian waters, not landing on Canadian soil and anchoring, mooring, or making contact with another conveyance, while in Canadian waters." 

“If the USA/Canadian border remains closed at or near 11 July 2020 we will consolidate all boats to the Shore Course.  If you have been keeping up with the NOR changes, the RC can change the course any class sails, up to the time of the start.  Every boat owner/PIC is responsible for knowing and complying with all applicable laws, US and Canadian.” 

“The patience and flexibility strategy is paying off.  Slowly but surly (sp) the issues that we have faced this year are being resolved.  It is looking increasingly likely we are having a race. So, to get ready…” 

Meanwhile, appears the state marina on the island is limited to about 70 boat slips and probably no rafting at the coal dock.

28 minutes ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Meanwhile, appears the state marina on the island is limited to about 70 boat slips and probably no rafting at the coal dock. 

Doesn't change anything. The fleet will be way down anyways so they would be lucky to fill 70 slips! Even if that is exceed that boats will just go to Mackinac City except for one special boat on the thread who has said they will cross the line, gybe and start their delivery!  :lol:

Another update that while short on specifics at least states that they'll provide additional details this weekend:

https://www.chicagoharbors.info/covid19-task-force/

Please Be Considerate of Your Actions as We Near the Opening of the Chicago Harbors

May 29, 2020

On May 28th, the City of Chicago announced that it is set to enter Phase 3 of its reopening plan on June 3rd. The city has previously stated that the harbors will open sometime during Phase 3 and today the Task Force continued our dialogue with officials regarding next steps.

First of all, thank you to all the boaters who have signed the Boater Pledge Advocating for the Safe and Responsible Opening of the Chicago Harbors. Over 2/3 of Chicago Harbor boaters have signed the pledge and we believe this collaborative approach has been instrumental in supporting our push to allow the harbors to open soon.

However, despite the majority of boaters who have supported the Boater’s pledge, the negative actions of some have been noticed as well.  In spite of city orders, boats anchored in the playpen last weekend – and this has not helped our cause.  The obstructive comments on social media, specifically those advocating for irresponsible actions, boat protests (similar to what recently occurred at Lake of the Ozarks) and derogatory comments, including inference of threats and violence are hurting our effort to open the harbors.

We are all contributing to the opening of the Chicago Harbors and your actions affect the broader boating community. We want to open the harbors soon; please help us as we work to be a part of the solution.

This weekend, the Chicago Harbors will be sharing details as we learn more regarding:

• Update on the Chicago Harbors opening
  • New deadlines for final payments and full refunds
  • Proposed options for customers who may start incurring summer storage fees on June 1
  • In-water maintenance for boats

Boats in the Pig Pen were probably from Hammond. Might not even be IL registered boats. Not sure why this is relevant. I understand the optics but run the Marine Unit out there if you want to confirm who's got a hook in the Pen...

Chicago Phase III on Wed, June 3.

I read somewhere that Harbors should open Mon, June 8 ..... then it will be another month before the yard launches all of us. God knows they aren't going to pay their guys overtime to expedite that process.

I'll say it one more time, No Mac.

On 5/23/2020 at 9:16 AM, Keysrock35 said:

Skyway took good care of us yesterday - at our new slip in Hammond for 2020. To heck with Lori's ambiguity. Who wants to start the Hammond Weeknight doublehanded series with me!?

The boys at Skyway (and the gals in the office) got us in early this past week and we delivered to Hammond on Thursday.  There are quite of few UNUSED slips right now down there but we were told there is a 150 boat waiting list.  The owner got on it early, sailing this weekend?

So as we wait for Chicago to open we will ingest and inhale all those wonderful Indiana shoreline views and particles.

We plan on coming North soon as it opens.  

We also ran through all the logistics, with crew from PA and TX and 5 of our crew with children there is no way any of them are getting a free ticket to race up the lake in July from their spouses.  Believe me, our crew WANTS to sail, but too many risks and nowhere to settle once you finish up there.  Turning and burning was not an option for most of our crew.  

As much as many of you think that launching boats is going to be hectic, Steve Kindra told me that besides being a month into the season they feel like they are ahead of launching.  

JC can monitor and factcheck my post.  I will not get upset and he IS the moderator on this topic.

Only one person voice counts. Da Mayor. Her words about opening the lakefront expressed concerns about other beaches being opened across the U.S. and flooded with people on the Memorial Holiday Weekend.  With those words, I do not see the lakefront being opened until after the July 4 weekend.

Not sure what she'll do about Labor day weekend, the beaches normally close (no more lifeguards) then, she'll prolly close the beaches a few days early.

• Like 1

Today's update: (pertinent changes pasted)

https://www.chicagoharbors.info/covid-19/

BOAT STAGING:

• Boat Staging: Beginning June 1st, we will allow Chicago Harbors customers whose boats are currently at storage facilities or alternate harbors, to bring their boats to a temporary slip at either Montrose or 31st Street Harbor to “stage” until the harbors open. The procedure for staging boats are as follows:
    • All boaters wishing to bring boats in will require a reservation via the marina manager. We will begin accepting reservations on June 1st. Boaters who have an urgent need to deliver on June 1st, please call us immediately and we’ll try to accommodate you.
    • We will limit the deliveries to 10 boats per hour at each location to allow for social distancing on the docks.
    • Delivery crews will be limited in size to the state’s current restrictions.
    • The marina manager will assign boats a temporary slip to deliver to and stage at until the harbors open.
    • Boaters will not be charged for the temporary slip and will continue to accrue their pro-rata mooring fee credit until the Chicago Harbors open.
    • Deliveries will only be allowed between 8:00am and 4:00pm.
    • Delivery crews must wear PPE while on harbor property.
  • Access to Staged Boats:
    • Reservations must be made at least 24 hours in advance with the marina manager to access boats.
    • Hours of access will be 8:00am to 5:00pm.  Docks will be cleared and chained shut at 5:00pm.
    • Only two people per boat will be allowed access at any time and only for maintenance purposes.
    • There will be a limit of 10 people per any one dock.
    • Boaters must wear PPE on docks and harbor property, except while on their boats.
    • Boaters are allowed to perform in-water maintenance on their boat. Please note: boats will not be accessible for recreation purposes. Alcohol, loud music, social gatherings, and overnight stays are not allowed until the harbors open.
    • Security will be in place from 5pm – 8am at both locations.
  • Parking: 
    •  31st Street: Due to reconfiguration work on the access systems near the garage, parking will be in the West lot only until we open.  We will leave the gate open in the far south end of the West lot from 8am-5pm and then the lot will be closed overnight.  We will transition to parking on the East side spaces after the access systems come on-line next week.
    • Montrose: Montrose boaters will be allowed to use their 2019 passes to access the south lot.  All other boaters will park on the street (there is lots of parking with the Lakefront closed).
  • TMA/Chicago Police:
    • We will give the TMA/Chicago Police a list each morning with the boaters who have reserved times to do maintenance on their vessels and for the pickup of crews delivering boats.
  •  

COVID-19 REFUND POLICY:

• Full Refund: Boaters can choose to receive a 100% refund until the date the harbors are opened. Please keep in mind, if you cancel your slip or mooring, you will forfeit your assignment and need to reapply to get back into the harbor system.

FINAL PAYMENT EXTENSION:

• Payment Due Date: In an effort to accommodate our customers during the COVID-19 pandemic, boaters will have until the date the harbors are opened to make their final payment for the 2020 boating season.

Can't see many people wanting their boats held hostage at 31st street with those restrictions in place (they'll give your name to the cops??). Might as well keep it on the river at the yard or on the hard - at least then you have the same access to it (maybe more, since some yards allow > 2 people/boat) and don't have to do two deliveries. Unless one of those harbors is significantly closer to your home than your yard.  Wonder how well the 24-hr notice will go? How do you check on your boat in the AM after a vicious T-storm system rolls through overnight?  Or do you just put your name on the list for everyday "just in case" (and use up the 10-person per dock limit?)?

Can you go out to sail to "tune the rig"? Of course with only 2 people on board, that will be of limited utility anyway if you can't load the boat up.

Seems like the City/Park District is trying to throw people a bone, but the real meal won't be until later in June.

21 hours ago, proOC said:

There are quite of few UNUSED slips right now down there but we were told there is a 150 boat waiting list.  The owner got on it early, sailing this weekend?

As much as many of you think that launching boats is going to be hectic, Steve Kindra told me that besides being a month into the season they feel like they are ahead of launching. 

I'm told Hammond is fully spoken for. Transient and seasonal

As far as launching - it really depends upon the size of the yard and the amount of riverfront dockage they have that they can use to raft boats. Until those boats can leave and go somewhere, you are limited by the length of your dock and how many boats deep you want the raft (4-5 seems the practical/safe limit, given river traffic, navigability restrictions, etc.). Once you're full up, you can't launch any more until someone leaves. if boats don't have anywhere to go, they don't leave. So you are maxed out - no new launches. For a smaller yard, you maybe don't hit that limit until you've got 50-70% of your boats launched, or maybe even all of them. For larger yards, maybe you can't get rmore than 20-30% of storage inventory launched. Then it becomes "one in, one out". Once the harbors open, you'll then get a rush of departures, and can launch at a higher rate, indeed  using overtime as needed (most yards do plan on 12-hour days for the launch crew).

Let's say you've got 600 boats in storage. You have 100 launched and rafted up (that's a raft 20 boats long and 5 deep - coal docks anyone?). After a few weeks they finally leave within a few days. Now you've got 500 more boats to launch. With two travel lifts/cranes (not all yards have two...), you can get 12 boats launched per day (12 hour days, 2 hours per boat, which includes retrieval from storage area, slinging up, painting bottom paint on credle pad areas, let it dry, then in water, check bilges/through hulls, then move to raft). Working 12/7, it takes you 40 more days to get the rest in the water.   Even at twice the rate, that's 20 days. And we won't even talk about the time for mast stepping for all those indoor stored boats, which will use up crane time unless there's a dedicated crane just for rigs.  So for sake of argument, if the harbors were to open June 13th, some poor sap wont get his boat launched until 4th of July.

4 hours ago, JoeO said:

Can't see many people wanting their boats held hostage at 31st street with those restrictions in place (they'll give your name to the cops??). Might as well keep it on the river at the yard or on the hard - at least then you have the same access to it (maybe more, since some yards allow > 2 people/boat) and don't have to do two deliveries. Unless one of those harbors is significantly closer to your home than your yard.  Wonder how well the 24-hr notice will go? How do you check on your boat in the AM after a vicious T-storm system rolls through overnight?  Or do you just put your name on the list for everyday "just in case" (and use up the 10-person per dock limit?)?

Can you go out to sail to "tune the rig"? Of course with only 2 people on board, that will be of limited utility anyway if you can't load the boat up.

Seems like the City/Park District is trying to throw people a bone, but the real meal won't be until later in June.

I think the June 1st thing at Montrose and 31st is to accommodate people who have yards that are going to start charging them for Summer Storage on June 1.  Otherwise, I whole-heatedly agree, not much reason to do it.  Unless one of those harbors is your final destination anyway?

Was told yesterday that now Hammond has a 170 boat waiting list.  Wonderful breeze yesterday offshore Hammond.  I have never said that before.

Also to consider that work is being done on the south locks.  They are pushing all the barges and vessels that tie up inbound of the locks onto the opposite side.

Big project and closed for most of the summer.  Lots of moving parts down there last week.  

15 hours ago, 40048 said:

I think the June 1st thing at Montrose and 31st is to accommodate people who have yards that are going to start charging them for Summer Storage on June 1.  Otherwise, I whole-heatedly agree, not much reason to do it.  Unless one of those harbors is your final destination anyway?

Agreed on all counts.

Also, come to think of it, bigger yards who are already "maxed out" on in-the-water storage/staging, might be encouraging those owners to do this so they can continue launching  boats.

5 hours ago, proOC said:

Was told yesterday that now Hammond has a 170 boat waiting list.  Wonderful breeze yesterday offshore Hammond.  I have never said that before.

Also to consider that work is being done on the south locks.  They are pushing all the barges and vessels that tie up inbound of the locks onto the opposite side.

Big project and closed for most of the summer.  Lots of moving parts down there last week.  

Both you and Rick were misinformed.

So the lake front is unofficially open. Police stopped enforcing closure Friday (before all the craziness) and from direct second hand source of people speaking with the police posted at the lakefront entrances, they are not planning on enforcing the closure anymore, just haven’t made the official opening announcement to avoid the massive surge of people going there. 

Personably I got a launch window this weekend for my boat, but haven’t gotten contacted from the harbor to confirm my request to bring it in. 

35 minutes ago, Lightfoot said:

So the lake front is unofficially open. Police stopped enforcing closure Friday (before all the craziness) and from direct second hand source of people speaking with the police posted at the lakefront entrances, they are not planning on enforcing the closure anymore, just haven’t made the official opening announcement to avoid the massive surge of people going there. 

Personably I got a launch window this weekend for my boat, but haven’t gotten contacted from the harbor to confirm my request to bring it in. 

I'd be nerve of my boat sitting in a harbor at the moment. Seems like a good target to burn down to make a statement. 

27 minutes ago, Lightfoot said:

Live just a few blocks off the lake, and don't see the same thing your "direct second hand source" claimed...

I'd be nerve of my boat sitting in a harbor at the moment. Seems like a good target to burn down to make a statement. 

There's a lot to be said for sitting on a can in Monroe right now.  Prime seat to watch any "festivities" on shore, knowing no protestors/rioters are going to swim out and cause you any grief.  Flare gun with expired flares should help everybody keep their social distance

Better bring your dingy in case the Park District shuttle isn't operating

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sidmon said:

Live just a few blocks off the lake, and don't see the same thing your "direct second hand source" claimed...

It appears they've stopped keeping 24/7 guard at the bridge on my street (43rd) as of yesterday. But I wouldn't dare cross the barricade until I know the path is open. 

2 minutes ago, GABA said:

Flare gun with expired flares should help everybody keep their social distance

Use of deadly force (even a joke about it) is not the best response here.

The small minority of rioters/looters maybe detracting from the overall protests, but these protests come from a sense of rage that is unlikely to be improved by by joking about killing protesters.

11 minutes ago, Keysrock35 said:

It appears they've stopped keeping 24/7 guard at the bridge on my street (43rd) as of yesterday. But I wouldn't dare cross the barricade until I know the path is open. 

We had the several thousand strong march on the northside yesterday, and haven't been over there today to see if the traffic monitors are at the barricades at Montrose and Wilson.

No matter, its unlikely the city will implement the beginning of Phase 3 reopenings scheduled for tomorrow, much less the lakefront.

31 minutes ago, sidmon said:

No matter, its unlikely the city will implement the beginning of Phase 3 reopenings scheduled for tomorrow, much less the lakefront.

So Lightfoot is initiating the reopening.

Glad to be wrong. Still no word on the lakefront though.

7 hours ago, Lightfoot said:

Agree.  Once the state stay at home order expired on Friday and the police knew that they would have their hands full with more pressing concerns come Saturday that enforcing a health commissioner's order with dubious at best public health justification was a questionable at best priority.  I for one went on a nice run around Belmont Harbor and up to Montrose on Saturday morning via the lakefront itself (as opposed to the trail.)  An officer and I exchanged mutual "good morning" greetings as I jogged by and I told him that I hope he and his colleagues will stay safe later that day...to which he responded with a resigned "we'll see."

As for the yards, mine started launching boats on Tuesday allowing for June 1 departures for Chicago Harbor customers.  My launch and departure dates were confirmed weeks ago.  Although never "on the record", there was always a strong sense that come June 1st, boats would have a place to go.  I enjoyed a great sail up to Montrose today (guided against departing yesterday for safety reasons...) where the harbor is probably about a tenth full already.

Dr. Arwady needs to and I assume will file a new/amended order tonight or first thing tomorrow as the existing order which involves the closure of lakefront "parks" and "boating" expires at midnight tonight. Friendly reminder as well that "boating" had already been listed as an activity that would resume in the first phase of "Phase 3."  Perhaps my Montrose stay will only be overnight. (Previous disclosure, my initial guess for the harbor opening was June 1st, while tomorrow is perhaps overly optimistic, I'm now guessing June 8th.)  Either way, felt great sailing today and I'll enjoy performing "in water maintenance" at Montrose rather than a yard.     

Agree.  Once the state stay at home order expired on Friday and the police knew that they would have their hands full with more pressing concerns come Saturday that enforcing a health commissioner's order with dubious at best public health justification was a questionable at best priority.  I for one went on a nice run around Belmont Harbor and up to Montrose on Saturday morning via the lakefront itself (as opposed to the trail.)  An officer and I exchanged mutual "good morning" greetings as I jogged by and I told him that I hope he and his colleagues will stay safe later that day...to which he responded with a resigned "we'll see."

As for the yards, mine started launching boats on Tuesday allowing for June 1 departures for Chicago Harbor customers.  My launch and departure dates were confirmed weeks ago.  Although never "on the record", there was always a strong sense that come June 1st, boats would have a place to go.  I enjoyed a great sail up to Montrose today (guided against departing yesterday for safety reasons...) where the harbor is probably about a tenth full already.

Dr. Arwady needs to and I assume will file a new/amended order tonight or first thing tomorrow as the existing order which involves the closure of lakefront "parks" and "boating" expires at midnight tonight. Friendly reminder as well that "boating" had already been listed as an activity that would resume in the first phase of "Phase 3."  Perhaps my Montrose stay will only be overnight. (Previous disclosure, my initial guess for the harbor opening was June 1st, while tomorrow is perhaps overly optimistic, I'm now guessing June 8th.)  Either way, felt great sailing today and I'll enjoy performing "in water maintenance" at Montrose rather than a yard.     

Reliable source reports that that the lakefront and harbors were open to traffic.

11 hours ago, CutterCaptain said:

How did the harbors confirm your arrival time? I hope to deliver as well Friday, but haven’t heard from the harbors yet, and I don’t want to cancel my launch. 

32 minutes ago, Lightfoot said:

How did the harbors confirm your arrival time? I hope to deliver as well Friday, but haven’t heard from the harbors yet, and I don’t want to cancel my launch. 

They didn't actually.  When I saw the new policy (and posted it here) Saturday morning it said that they would start taking reservations on Monday, June 1st but if you needed to deliver that day to call them right away, which I did.  I left a voicemail and also emailed the harbor.  Later that morning, the website changed to reflect the online reservation system, so I filled that out as well.  I never heard anything.  Shortly after I pulled in yesterday I flagged down a harbor worker to try to find out the gate code.  She wouldn't let me know but sent by a couple of other workers who said that they didn't see me in the system.  I explained all the various channels in which I tried to contact them.  I was told that they didn't have access to the voicemail system, nor email and didn't see my reservation. Nonetheless, they were accomodating and just reminded me to leave by 5 before they chain the gate. 

So while withholding judgement as to competence, confusion, disinterest in facilitating this new policy or whatever,  I'd visit the harbormaster office in person to get yourself confirmed before I'd cancel a delivery due to not hearing anything. 

They didn't actually.  When I saw the new policy (and posted it here) Saturday morning it said that they would start taking reservations on Monday, June 1st but if you needed to deliver that day to call them right away, which I did.  I left a voicemail and also emailed the harbor.  Later that morning, the website changed to reflect the online reservation system, so I filled that out as well.  I never heard anything.  Shortly after I pulled in yesterday I flagged down a harbor worker to try to find out the gate code.  She wouldn't let me know but sent by a couple of other workers who said that they didn't see me in the system.  I explained all the various channels in which I tried to contact them.  I was told that they didn't have access to the voicemail system, nor email and didn't see my reservation. Nonetheless, they were accomodating and just reminded me to leave by 5 before they chain the gate. 

So while withholding judgement as to competence, confusion, disinterest in facilitating this new policy or whatever,  I'd visit the harbormaster office in person to get yourself confirmed before I'd cancel a delivery due to not hearing anything. 

According to stated policy they ‘could’ have revoked your permit for doing that. but glad to know they are accommodating. I’ll give them another call. 

Posting for anyone else wondering. Called the harbor, they are not confirming reservations only reaching out if that hour is full. I haven’t gotten anything in writing from them saying I can come at the time I made my reservation, but over the phone they said I can arrive when I said I would on the form. 

1 hour ago, ChiGuy said:

News clams the "lakefront" may open June 8. I'd hope that includes harbours.

This could be substantiated.  I spoke with Westrec about an unrelated issue and the staff member mentioned that the Burnham Harbor Boat Ramp will be open on the 10th.  My guess is that the harbors will open somewhere between the 8th and 10th.

25 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Oh, so the Mac is on now. :lol:

Yes.  You just have to start in Detroit.

Bayview Mackinac Race - Update - June 2, 2020

At this time due to conflicting timing requirements the Mackinac Race Authority (MRA) has made the decision to only sail the Shore Course for the 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race.

The patience and flexibility strategy is paying off. Slowly but surly (sic) the issues that we have faced this year are being resolved. It is looking increasingly likely we are having a race. So, to get ready:

Register

Complete all the registration requirements

Get your boat ready

Confirm your reservations on the island

As I have previously said, due to all the issues this year, this just may not be a year you are able to do the race. If you know this now, please contact Linda (linda@byc.com) or me (mackchair2020@byc.com) and formally withdraw. This will be a huge help to the race if you let us know sooner than later.

16 minutes ago, 40048 said:

Yes.  You just have to start in Detroit.

BYC Mackinac has had about 20 new registrations in the last two weeks. A few of them like me are boats that are signed up for Chicago but view BYC race as more likely and want to make sure they get to sail a Mackinac this year. Two Mackinacs would be a bonus but I will settle for one.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Donkey687 said:

BYC Mackinac has had about 20 new registrations in the last two weeks. A few of them like me are boats that are signed up for Chicago but view BYC race as more likely and want to make sure they get to sail a Mackinac this year. Two Mackinacs would be a bonus but I will settle for one.

You must really love it. Can't think of a worse year to go....

-Low turn out.

-Distancing concerns with crew

-Under-attended/No parties on Island

-Bars and restaurants half empty

The only resemblance to a Mac with be in the title of the event...

2 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

-Low turn out.

I do love it and the factors you lay out have very little to do with my love it.

- Low turn out. : whether there are 8 boats in my class to race against or 16, we are still racing just as hard.

Distancing concerns with crew:  Yes, there are concerns but my crew consists of family and friends that I will be spending time with this summer anyway and when in the race, I am only exposing myself to that handful of people. Every other weekend in the summer, I will likely have exposure to more people than that. There is a chance that some people will get COVID during the race but there is a chance that people in Chicago not doing the race will get COVID that weekend that they wouldn't have gotten in the race.

- Under-attended parties: I have young kids at home. My hall pass is up when I hit the island. I haven't hit a Mackinac party in five years and I still love the race.

- Bars and restaurants half empty: Great, less of a line for the crew to do a quick toast and grab a burger on the island before I head home to my family.

What stays the same: 1) the wind  2) the waves  3) the camaraderie with the crew  4) the strategy of trying to predict the wind and outwit your opponent. 5) the memories 6) the stars  7) sunrise and sunset  8) the feeling of accomplishment at the finish

• Like 6

-Low turn out.

All of the reasons you outlined are nice things I like about the race.

None of them are the reasons I do the race, the reason I do the race happens between the starting line and the finish.

• Like 3

The end is near...

Boat Staging: Chicago Harbors customers are allowed to bring their boats to a temporary slip to “stage” until the harbors open. We are staging boats at the following harbors:

31st Street and Montrose – OPEN FOR STAGING

Belmont, Burnham, Jackson Park Outer – STAGING OPENS JUNE 6

Diversey, DuSable, Monroe, Jackson Park Inner – STAGING OPENS JUNE 10

Same staging rules apply. Of course, "recreational use" is still prohibited until...?

1 hour ago, Donkey687 said:

I do love it and the factors you lay out have very little to do with my love it.

- Low turn out. : whether there are 8 boats in my class to race against or 16, we are still racing just as hard.

Distancing concerns with crew:  Yes, there are concerns but my crew consists of family and friends that I will be spending time with this summer anyway and when in the race, I am only exposing myself to that handful of people. Every other weekend in the summer, I will likely have exposure to more people than that. There is a chance that some people will get COVID during the race but there is a chance that people in Chicago not doing the race will get COVID that weekend that they wouldn't have gotten in the race.

- Under-attended parties: I have young kids at home. My hall pass is up when I hit the island. I haven't hit a Mackinac party in five years and I still love the race.

- Bars and restaurants half empty: Great, less of a line for the crew to do a quick toast and grab a burger on the island before I head home to my family.

What stays the same: 1) the wind  2) the waves  3) the camaraderie with the crew  4) the strategy of trying to predict the wind and outwit your opponent. 5) the memories 6) the stars  7) sunrise and sunset  8) the feeling of accomplishment at the finish

I know the type. There are many offshore yacht racers who will still push ahead, beating up hill against the storm...

hat.jpg

15 hours ago, JoeO said:

The end is near...

Boat Staging: Chicago Harbors customers are allowed to bring their boats to a temporary slip to “stage” until the harbors open. We are staging boats at the following harbors:

31st Street and Montrose – OPEN FOR STAGING

Belmont, Burnham, Jackson Park Outer – STAGING OPENS JUNE 6

Diversey, DuSable, Monroe, Jackson Park Inner – STAGING OPENS JUNE 10

Same staging rules apply. Of course, "recreational use" is still prohibited until...?

This is not the end, this is not the beginning of the end, but it may be the end of the beginning.

Winston Churchill

• Like 1

Rumor in Detroit is that the CYC board cancelled the 2020 Mac Race last night - announcement to come later today.

For those who want to compete in the race I hope the rumor is unfounded.

25 minutes ago, 40048 said:

The WHO says sailing is a low risk sport according to World Sailing:

https://worldsailing.activehosted.com/index.php?action=social&chash=52720e003547c70561bf5e03b95aa99f.529&s=a819a449465280e4e55d7c13a8ebd90b

But the USA is going to leave the WHO so we can't rely on that information, right?

The WHO doesn't know dick about sailing. It's not the scene from "What about Bob" where Bill Murray is duck taped to the rig on a J22 and someone else is 6 feet back on the helm. Shoulder to shoulder on the rail is a different game....

2 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

The WHO doesn't know dick about sailing. It's not the scene from "What about Bob" where Bill Murray is duck taped to the rig on a J22 and someone else is 6 feet back on the helm. Shoulder to shoulder on the rail is a different game....

Points to singlehanding!

:D

CHICAGO- The Chicago Yacht Club and the Race to Mackinac (CYCRTM) Committee announced today that it has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 Race to Mackinac due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac presented by Wintrust is one of the world’s largest annual offshore races, drawing top-notch sailing talent from around America and the world. Known as ‘The Mac’ to everyone in the region, the 333-statute mile (289 nautical mile) race typically starts each July just off Chicago’s Navy Pier and finishes at Mackinac Island, Michigan. 

“Since late February, our committee has been following a patient, pragmatic approach to understanding the imposed limitations required to comply with governmental guidelines as a consequence of the pandemic.”  said Martin Sandoval, Race Chairman. “Unfortunately, the crew limitations required to maximize social distancing which were adopted by the State of Illinois; no release of boating guidelines from the City of Chicago; and uncertainty as to when the Chicago lakefront and harbors will open impacted our ability to conduct a safe race for all competitors.”

Starting in 1898 with a mere five boats, The Mac has evolved into a world-class sporting event. The last year the race was cancelled was 1920, due to the strains of World War I. Since 1921, the Race to Mackinac has run consecutively every year, drawing up to 400 boats to the starting line each summer. 

“We share in the disappointment of the sailing community, having to postpone the 112th running of the race until next year, but certainly understand the paramount safety concerns” said Ed Wehmer, Wintrust CEO. “We look forward to continuing to work with the Chicago Yacht Club this season with its philanthropic activities focused on Chicagoland’s many communities.”

“We’re thankful to Wintrust, our presenting sponsor, for supporting us in this process as well as our many other sponsors.  Many thanks go out to our friends on Mackinac Island who welcome us all each July.” said Lou Sandoval, Chicago Yacht Club Commodore. “It is with heavy hearts that we cancel this year’s race, but the ability to run a safe event with consideration of the health and well-being of all participants and volunteers needs to take precedence.” 

The 112th running of ‘The Mac’ will be scheduled for July 16 and 17, 2021. Race organizers are asking invited competitors to consider donating all or a portion of their 2020 entry fee to the Mackinac Island Community Foundation Essential Needs COVID-19 Response fund. 

14 minutes ago, spring fever said:

I can assure you that's at the bottom of the Comms Director's priority list right now :lol:

Since you seem to be in the know, what is at the top of her list?

49 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Ok. Next topic.......

Bets on what Yahoo die-hards do it anyways. Informal start at Navy Pier Light House? Bet there are at least 10 dummies....

If you didn't already know by now, they are doing the Waukegan Chicago Leg Saturday with an informal start.

Not sure how many will show but I know one that is going but for the time being they reside at a slip in Waukegan.

2 hours ago, 40048 said:

Since you seem to be in the know, what is at the top of her list?

@40048 It was my job a few years ago ;) Somewhere after making sure the message is being communicated properly/ posted in the appropriate places, dealing with press calls,  canceling contracted media, answering/censoring any number of silly comments, while also managing the full general member communications for the club... somewhere down there at the bottom of the to-do list, you say "dammit" and update the countdown. Just saying - cut the club staff some slack. 

How many people do you think will transfer their registration to the Hook Race? 

• Like 1

Well now that the obvious is, well, obvious - what about the rest of the sailing racing season... CASRA has been pretty quiet lately. I think we can assume harbor openings by late June (Lightfoot is already talking about the lakefront parks opening soon - as go the parks, so go the harbors, I'd expect). So what does the post-July 4th racing season look like? Limit of 10 crew/boat (per IL rules)? Limited to < 10 (50 in Phase 4) on any dock or YC? No YC parties of course, but perhaps limited (socially-distanced) dining/bar service on patios? 

What starts up first, Wed nighters?  July 5th weekend races? Red Horse?  You gotta think CASRA/Clubs have been working on these alternate scenarios.

“The mayor said she’s hoping to announce reopening the lakefront “relatively soon” with a plan meant to minimize crowding and having designated times for activities on the lakefront.”

1 hour ago, spring fever said:

How many people do you think will transfer their registration to the Hook Race? 

I know of one boat that registered for the HOOK two weeks ago as a CYA move.  They were afraid it would fill up fast if Chicago pulled the plug.

At least 3 more have started the discussion. Crew logistics are a lot tougher for West Michigan boats.  Lake Express and/or Badger both ways, etc.

28 minutes ago, GABA said:

I know of one boat that registered for the HOOK two weeks ago as a CYA move.  They were afraid it would fill up fast if Chicago pulled the plug.

At least 3 more have started the discussion. Crew logistics are a lot tougher for West Michigan boats.  Lake Express and/or Badger both ways, etc.

Looks like at least a dozen or more boats (rating faster than say 72) are registered for the Hook and Chi-Mac, as a quick perusal of both entry lists will show. These may be Wi boats for whim the logistics are actually simpler.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JoeO said:

Well now that the obvious is, well, obvious - what about the rest of the sailing racing season... CASRA has been pretty quiet lately. I think we can assume harbor openings by late June (Lightfoot is already talking about the lakefront parks opening soon - as go the parks, so go the harbors, I'd expect). So what does the post-July 4th racing season look like? Limit of 10 crew/boat (per IL rules)? Limited to < 10 (50 in Phase 4) on any dock or YC? No YC parties of course, but perhaps limited (socially-distanced) dining/bar service on patios? 

What starts up first, Wed nighters?  July 5th weekend races? Red Horse?  You gotta think CASRA/Clubs have been working on these alternate scenarios.

“The mayor said she’s hoping to announce reopening the lakefront “relatively soon” with a plan meant to minimize crowding and having designated times for activities on the lakefront.”

Chicago channel 7 news reports that the Mayor hopes to announce this week when the lakefront might reopen.

9 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Called that in April...

It must have taken mega foresight on your part to have called the cancellation Of the Mac in the middle of a pandemic that hasn’t yet gone away...

give yourself a self a well deserved pat on the back...

• Like 1

Second boat to arrive in Belmont this morning at 9:30 a.m.  In a harbor of 800 or so slips of all people my immediate neighbor beat me in by less than a half hour.  Was a beautiful day of maintenance and especially enjoyed the view of everyone joyfully reclaiming the lakefront. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, CutterCaptain said:

Second boat to arrive in Belmont this morning at 9:30 a.m.  In a harbor of 800 or so slips of all people my immediate neighbor beat me in by less than a half hour.  Was a beautiful day of maintenance and especially enjoyed the view of everyone joyfully reclaiming the lakefront. 

Beautiful Thing!

On 6/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Ok. Next topic.......

Bets on what Yahoo die-hards do it anyways. Informal start at Navy Pier Light House? Bet there are at least 10 dummies....

Should I pick up an Old Style 30-pack?