Chicago Area III

On 10/26/2020 at 1:49 PM, Donkey687 said:

CYC sent around a Mackinac survey last month to past invited competitors and one of the questions was around whether you owned AIS already.  My guess is that CYC will postpone this requirement for at least another year.

AIS requirement will end my participation. 

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks.  Jon Santarelli was one of ours.  One of the Area 3 good guys. We sailed may miles together and drank many different types of alcoholic drinks together.  We did Macs on Goblin together an

I do love it and the factors you lay out have very little to do with my love it. - Low turn out. : whether there are 8 boats in my class to race against or 16, we are still racing just as hard.

Who is Marcus Brutus?! He seems so angry about stuff most of the planet cares less about. Based on the above I'm pretty sure he thinks Mount Gay hats are cool and a badge of honor to show Offshore Yac

Posted Images

On 10/27/2020 at 9:48 AM, Locust85 said:

It really is insane, especially with the main complaint about the Mac is that it's too expensive, it easily costs $1,000 for a 35' boat to participate and that assumes you have all of the safety gear. I can almost understand the AIS transponder (but like others have noted, with radar reflectors sailboats show up really well.) However the personal AIS beacon while a good idea is going to get lots of crew to say hell no too. Between a PFD, decent foulies, teathers etc.. and now a beacon you're looking at $1,000 for EACH crew. 

Makes the Hook look more and more attractive.

From the RYC website

The Racine Yacht Club (RYC) and the RYC Hook Race Committee are announcing changes to the date of the Hook Race. Responses to participant surveys and interviews with skippers endorsed a change to the format of race dates that were traditionally the same date as the Chicago Mac race. Beginning in 2021 the Hook Race will be held July 24, one week after the Chicago Yacht Clubs’ race to Mackinac. In 2022 the Hook Race will be scheduled for July 16, one week prior to the Chicago Mac. These alternating dates will continue for the future. RYC is excited for the future of the Hook Race and its participants.

sounds like RYC liked the bump in participation when they aren't competing with the Mac. However, still going to lose folks who are still in recovery mode and don't want to sail 300 miles in the mac, 250 to racine, 200 to menomnie and 300 back to Chicago. That said, plenty or retirees out there who have 2 weeks to burn sailing around.

This gives us something to do with our boats after Mac, when it’s early. Most chi boats don’t do ugatta on the early mac years. And if you want to do ugatta, the delivery across is easy. I doubt I would do hook on the years when it’s before Mac, to much of a pain. 

Team Spitfire is devastated to post that we lost our Captain, Mentor, Teacher, Friend & Family Member, Jim "Skipper" Hellquist. 
Jim was the biggest advocate for the sport of sailing. He would take anyone that showed interest in sailing for a ride on a Wednesday night race, even if it meant we had double the crew we would normally race with. Because of Jim's passion, so many had the opportunity to learn how to sail and add to the collection of brag flags on Spitfire.
We ask everyone to join us in wishing Jim a peaceful sail into the sunset.  Please feel free to share your memories on this post. The family is planning a Celebration of Life, to be held at the start of 2021 sailing season.
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, farr40 said:

RYC should consider running the hook in reverse, starting in Menominee the week after the Mac. 

That would be absolutely brilliant! I've always wanted for there to be a mac-back race and this would fit the bill perfectly

10 hours ago, farr40 said:

RYC should consider running the hook in reverse, starting in Menominee the week after the Mac. 

Not a bad idea at all.  Trade off for RYC is how many Mac boats do you get versus how many non-Mac WI/ILL you lose because of the logistics of getting your boat, your crew and provisions up north.  Clearly it can be done but is the upside potential worth trying it.

On 11/3/2020 at 9:31 PM, fucket said:

What's this ORC shit cost? I don't see my boat on their one design list, what's the fleet going to have to pay for measurement?

There are two options - ORC Club and ORC International.  The press release doesn't specify which will be used.  I'm guessing either can be submitted.

Looks like ORC Club certificates are a flat fee $100 regardless of size.  The NYYC website says:  " Club certificates do not require certified measurement. Instead, owners are allowed to declare select measurements while other parameters are assigned by the rating office. Where input data is lacking, the rating office will apply estimates or default values that err to a faster rating. The more data submitted based on measurements, the more accurate the rating. "

ORC International certificates appear to be full on measurement, including sailmaker certificates,  but only cost $8 a foot for boats up to 59' ($10.50 a foot for the big guys).  So I guess a typical 35-40' Mac boat would be paying about $300, give or take.

28 minutes ago, GABA said:

ORC International certificates appear to be full on measurement, including sailmaker certificates,  but only cost $8 a foot for boats up to 59' ($10.50 a foot for the big guys).  So I guess a typical 35-40' Mac boat would be paying about $300, give or take.

Plus measurement costs... it's an IMS-type of measurement, requiring in the water freeboards, righting moment, etc. and also wanding of the hull if designer offsets not available. If I remember IMS measurement costs form quite some time ago, it went to 4 figures (if you had to include measurer travel).

You can also get an ORC One Design cert for less if you have a OD - and it is in official OD trim/compliance.

I'd imagine CYC will allow both ORCi and ORC Club certs - they certainly can be scored together; ORCi will give you some advantage if you are willing to pay for it.

1 hour ago, 40048 said:

As did ORR if you were willing to incur the full measurement cost I believe?

Yep...the Club or "EZ" ratings use defaults that could have been at the"fastest" end of the spectrum (lightest DSPL, highest freeboards, highest RM...) and not reflect the actual boat's configuration.

Consider for the B36.7 (variations in ORR-EZ are due to small changes in sail sizes):

ORR EZ range = 0.011

ORR EXZ avg = 0.871

image.png.10c1ff1ae80c0790409a94f8bb6aa499.png

ORR (Full) range = 0.007

ORR (Full) avg = 0.863

• 1 month later...

Covid vaccine now in distribution. Anyone want to take a stab at the following....

1. When will "the rest" who are not high risk get vaccinated? By April, May, June?

2. How does the 2021 Sailing Season look? Same as the end of this past one with "some" racing or will there be some sense of normalcy and parties by mid summer?

On 12/13/2020 at 9:12 AM, Keysrock35 said:

Can anyone recommend a hydraulic pump shop that you've used to rebuild a backstay adjuster? 

The folks at Torresen Marine should be able to point you in the right direction.

On 12/14/2020 at 12:07 PM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Covid vaccine now in distribution. Anyone want to take a stab at the following....

1. When will "the rest" who are not high risk get vaccinated? By April, May, June?

2. How does the 2021 Sailing Season look? Same as the end of this past one with "some" racing or will there be some sense of normalcy and parties by mid summer?

Word is that westrec/chicago park district will allow chicago harbors to open up normally and hopefully with fewer crew limits. Obviously what kind of crew limits there will be is TBD. I would suspect that early season big parties are probably still out but the races will happen. Hopefully late season like the tri-state will be able to have rafts at a minimum. The clubs should be planning a somewhat normal schedule with the big question being parties.

• Like 1

According to my TV listings, Comcast/ NBC sports is televising AC races from the 17th on Saturday the 19th, 11:30am-1:30 pm.  I imagine many eyes will be watching the Northwestern-Ohio State game.

23 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

According to my TV listings, Comcast/ NBC sports is televising AC races from the 17th on Saturday the 19th, 11:30am-1:30 pm.  I imagine many eyes will be watching the Northwestern-Ohio State game.

Thanks for the info!  Watching it now.

• 4 weeks later...

NBC Sports is showing the AC Challengers Series

All times I’m showing are CST

1/14 (tonight) 11pm-1am

Friday, 8-10pm (live)

Saturday, 11pm-1am.

As they say, check your local listings 

On 1/14/2021 at 6:52 PM, jerseyguy said:

NBC Sports is showing the AC Challengers Series

All times I’m showing are CST

1/14 (tonight) 11pm-1am

Friday, 8-10pm (live)

Saturday, 11pm-1am.

As they say, check your local listings 

Thanks for the heads up!  Watched tonight (Fri) and was pretty painful to see the USA boat parked/off foils/not doing well.  On the flip side a huge change for Great Britain, I know both restatements of the obvious.  Hoping that as the racing progresses it gets a little closer.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to report the passing of Ed Cohen, of Jason fame.

On January 5th, I visited with Ed and his wife Toba and we all relished in the opportunity to be together (outdoors of course).  Nothing out of the ordinary.

On 1/29/2021 at 6:13 PM, Glenn McCarthy said:

On January 5th, I visited with Ed and his wife Toba and we all relished in the opportunity to be together (outdoors of course).  Nothing out of the ordinary.

Sad to hear. I had a couple friends that used to race on his J/35 and Farr 395 back in the glory days so I met him a few times.

On 1/29/2021 at 5:13 PM, Glenn McCarthy said:

Does anyone have any information on Ed's passing or a memorial service? I sailed with Ed for years and often stayed with Ed and Toba at their lovely home. I've been out of the sailing loop for a few years and would really appreciate any help on this.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:39 AM, Glenn McCarthy said:
Team Spitfire is devastated to post that we lost our Captain, Mentor, Teacher, Friend & Family Member, Jim "Skipper" Hellquist. 
Jim was the biggest advocate for the sport of sailing. He would take anyone that showed interest in sailing for a ride on a Wednesday night race, even if it meant we had double the crew we would normally race with. Because of Jim's passion, so many had the opportunity to learn how to sail and add to the collection of brag flags on Spitfire.
We ask everyone to join us in wishing Jim a peaceful sail into the sunset.  Please feel free to share your memories on this post. The family is planning a Celebration of Life, to be held at the start of 2021 sailing season.

Deepest condolences to you and the entire Spitfire crew. They just don't make them like Jim anymore, a huge loss to the sport and certainly all that knew him. 

I hope that Spitfire will be on the water this season! 

On 1/29/2021 at 7:13 PM, Glenn McCarthy said:

Oh that is too bad.  Ed was a good man.  Met him in 1997 racing in the J35 fleet before he moved on to the 395.  

• 2 months later...

Allan Teske crossed the bar on April 30th. Others are more familiar with his accomplishments than myself, so feel free to add anything I missed

• Over 50 Chicago Macs
  • Master Mariner
  • National Judge for the past 20+ years
  • Past commodore of Columbia Yacht Club
  • Chief Judge of COLYC
  • Artist with several paintings to his credit
  • Accomplished tango dancer

In the past two weeks, he served on the Protest Committee for Lake Forest Sailing, and posted a 1 1 1 2 1 one day score line in the COLYC Colgates. He also helped recruit and train many of the race officials in the Chicagoland area over the past two generations of sailors.

Details to follow on celebration(s) of life, nothing set at present.  His ashes will be dropped near Bell Buoy #3 in the 2021 Mac.

He will be missed.

• Like 3