Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jono

MOD 70 vs ORMA 60

I see the MOD 70 is gaining traction, while there are still plenty of ORMA 60s not moving.

How much faster is the MOD 70 on ocean passage polars, and will it beat the 60s around a track?

performance-wise it's hard to say. i'd assume VPLP has learned something since Groupama 3 about how to make these boats faster and 10 feet extra is still going to give some advantage. Based on the pictures on the front page it looks like a mini BPV which IMO was a big transition for VPLP. At the same time some aspects of it are clearly built for price such as the straighter crossbeams and simpler connection to hulls so maybe there are some compromises (which are OK since it's OD). I'm not sure whether the ama foils are AoA adjustable or whether it'll have canting mast etc. I reckon a worked up ORMA would be definitely faster inshore because it'll be lighter and have similar righting moment but offshore the MOD might be easier to drive hard.

The question is a bit moot because there's nowhere to race an ORMA 60, at least in an organised fashion, which is a shame as there are a few out there.